Into that Vast and Unrelenting Darkness (40K Xeno Civilization Quest)

My goodness...that is interesting! Looks like we got potentially useful information though: the Bo'ougs are raiding Chaos' main forge lands. Good for them! I winder if we can somehow create more Cathedrals of Ruin for them, or further empower the one they have.
I think there are some tasks we can do for them, they deserve the rewards for this. Especially when it comes to screwing over Chaos and hopefully the Imperium soon

Honestly that sounds pretty awesome. Maybe the Autons will let us use some of the ruins of the Watchmakers to send forth more Bo'oug Corsairs to reave the realms of Chaos? Even Nurgle is weak to true entropy, after all.

Hmm, it is interesting thinking about what all the Antianima we're spawning are doing to the galaxy.

We don't think about them too much of the time, since we've been developing countermeasures to each type as they appear. Plus the Tekket are at this point just plain good at dealing with spirit-type problems. Possibly some of the best in the galaxy at it.

To everyone else, it's like several whole new offshoots of daemons abruptly started showing up out of nowhere, all with completely different behavioral patterns, strengths and weaknesses than the kinds they're used to. How does a Dark Mechanicus handle a Bo'oug? All their usual methods have no effect, or worse, make them stronger! What does a Dark Eldar do when doppelgangers start infiltrating their society and killing them off for being child abusers? They already have trust issues, now shapeshifters might be exacerbating them! How does the Imperium handle it when some of the oppressed masses find some New Gods to build cults to that actually genuinely help them without murdering them for their souls? Or that worship Outer Beings with completely different behavior patterns than what they're used to watching for? How can Chaos handle the new Devils, that fill much the same niche as them but are often much better at it and thus find more repeat customers (since they don't eat them all immediately)? What havoc will the seasonal faeries start wreaking? Can the Imperium do anything about Gremlins? Already Orks start to change in Green Giant, and we haven't even introduced them to the Mojo yet, just convinced them to worship a ferret god of Tek (Which may promptly start existing even though it didn't before).

Truly, the Tekket have unleashed Apocalypse upon this galaxy. Bored a hole into the Outer Dark and let the horrors in, spawned several entire new categories of evil spirit and dumped them into the galaxy like a kind of metaphysical toxic waste, and even introduced the terror of the Fae (real Fae, not those Slaneeshi posers). Good thing the galaxy really needs a good Apocalypse-ing.

Meanwhile, the Tekket are having a great time. They think it's fun to have all these much more useful gods, the Antianima are known and more reasonable than most Daemons, the Outer Horrors aren't necessarily all that bad once you go mad enough to comprehend them (some of them just want hugs! They just need to have you explain how to hug in only three dimensions so they don't accidentally eviscerate you.), the horrifying deathworld megapredators leave you alone when you empathically let them know that you're a critical part of the ecosystem letting them grow to absurd sizes in blatant defiance of the square-cube-law, and cyberspace is great as long as you keep the viruses down and have your metaphysical AI debug things regularly. Generally, they just think that it's high time we moved the genre over more firmly into science-fantasy. The current galaxy doesn't have enough dragons in it. And spaceships need to be shinier, glowier, and swoopier, like spaceships are supposed to be.

Last edited:
"To find it, you will have to locate the city that lies beyond the edge of reality, between dimensions: the capitol of the Never Dead Priest, a creature who has used their knowledge of the warp and the realms of the Outer Dark to achieve immortality. The lost city of R'lyeh."
Love this sidestory and getting to see some of the fallout of that night, but this is a little concerning he might find our Tekkit... although it maybe interesting to see such a prestigious guest come to our humble corner of the galaxy. I wonder if his arrival could be considered the cost for our virus blasters to win without losses, we don't want to lose our human friend; the Outer Beings have taken an interest in her.

Even Vashtorr wasn't spared from the prank😂

Oh I love the Boo'ug.
Love those breaker children in this, there is honestly no better subject for them to torment. It is funny/fun for Vashtorr to have to be dealing with the demon equivalent Orks.

...Heh. I think I just realized what Logar is eventually going to meet.

To a character in a book that knows not that that is what they are, what force or being could be so terrible, so unbeatable, so incomprehensible... as their Author?

And then we were the Outer Beings.
@The Bird will decide if The Bird wants to show up in what ever form they like, The Bird has the last word on this. Azathoth dreamed reality into existence and The Bird can write this masterful work into reality for us to dream, we are all of the Outer Dark... I wonder if I should try to make my own contribution.

I have long considered them to be Slaaneshi cultists with authority issues.
This is so funny because it is more or less true.:rofl:

Last edited:
We don't think about them too much of the time, since we've been developing countermeasures to each type as they appear. Plus the Tekket are at this point just plain good at dealing with spirit-type problems. Possibly some of the best in the galaxy at it.
Tekket are basically starting to fill the ecological niche that was empty for a long time - that of the Old Ones. Masters of the spirit and warp. Let's hope they don't get to be snacked on by certain warp dwelling gourmands like Old Ones.
Oh shit R'lyeh! Lorgar is gonna meet Cthulhu!?!
Don't forget that Cthulhu is basically the best way to be introduced to the Great Old Ones. It is basically its function in their hierarchy when they deign to even acknowledge that other beings exist. There are much worse beings to get as your first experience in dealing with them.

You know, I can't help but wonder...who exactly is Dr. Teeth talking about when he refers to the New Gods? Because the way he describes them...I'm legitimately not sure if he's talking about any of our gods. None of them seem to be especially associated with mercy, much less the whole 'destroying your way of viewing the world and letting you rebuild it' version Dr. Teeth is talking about. So is he talking about the Directorate, instead of our actual gods?

Judging from the rest of Dr Teeth's words, I'm guessing that this should be "there is no grand unifying power in the Outer Dark" instead of what it currently says?

Correct.

So, like the Dark Eldar technically not being followers of Slaanesh, but basically being such in all but name.

The dark eldar aren't a bad comparison, though its more complex than "are followers of X in all but name": you don't need to follow a chaos god to feed it or to cast the shadow it resides in.

So, once the AutoPlanet Liberation is over, would people be interested in trying to actualize the Huntsmaster next? He has some fairly useful options for combat, and I think we're getting close to reaching the necessary amount of investment. We did get the notification that people were having dreams about him after all.

So, once the AutoPlanet Liberation is over, would people be interested in trying to actualize the Huntsmaster next? He has some fairly useful options for combat, and I think we're getting close to reaching the necessary amount of investment. We did get the notification that people were having dreams about him after all.
My paranoia brain wants the fool first and foremost, but there's little reason not to toss the huntsmaster a few bones on the way.

I want the Fool and The Jester done first, the synergy between these two as they are the two sides of comedy who exist to unravel the plans of our enemies would be very potent and drive Tzeentch and our enemies maaaad😈.
I admit, they would be nice to have, but secondary gods tend to requirement more investment to manifest, and we haven't even gotten the temples for those two yet. I'm fine with working towards them, I just think that having the Huntsmaster active soonish would be useful.

Well, since some people have posted their plans, I figure I'll do the same.

[] Plan: Progression
-[] EXP 152/173+
--[] Nuclear Resonance Engines 50/50, +EXP, +2 Nuclear Material, -1 Warp
--[] OOG-87's MicroSingularity 8/25 --> 25/25, +ACD
--[] Electrocyclical Power Bay 25/25, +increases ship power
--[] Sandscorn Mining Ships 25/25, +EXP, +3 Khimer Rep
--[] Biocity Biolasers 10/10, +Biocity defense
--[] Trove Mega-Gem Mines 15/15, +EXP
--[] Trovian Logging Operations 10/10, +EXP
-[] CUL 132/148+
--[] The Conduit Folios 3/20 --> 20/20, improve Calculator tech, +FTH
--[] The Secret Histories 20/20, +ACD, +1 Artifact
--[] The Munition Dumping Grounds of the Destroyer Wars 25/25, +1 Nuclear Material
--[] Volcanus 9 Nova Mechanicus 35/35, +1 Intel, Volcanus 9 spy rings improved
--[] Virus Buster Corps Research Labs 25/25, +ACD, +network security
--[] Sleepwalk Brew 5/15 --> 15/15, +ACD, +CUL, +FTH
-[] FTH 140/158+
--[] Eliminator Droids 25/25, +Super-commandos
--[] Hunting Beasts 25/25, +Tamed Antianima
--[] Devilkiller Rounds 25/25, +specialized anti-dark spirit ammunition
--[] Temple Jewels 35/35, +FTH
--[] Nuclear Ritual Engines 15/15, -2 Nuclear Material, +general FTH ships
--[] The Road-Docks 15/15, +FTH Ships
-[] ACD 110/125+
--[] Auton Anti-Warp Alloys 25/25, +3 Auton Rep, +AutoVessel Influence
--[] Nàdair Spáslong 25/25, +Yr Albain can grow small vessels, -1 BioData
--[] Basic Particle Field Generator 5/30 --> 30/30, +Ship travel safety
--[] Shield Emitters 35/35, +Shield Coverage
-[] Artifacts: 1 --> 2
-[] Biodata: 2 --> 1
-[] Intel: 0 --> 1
-[] Living Metal: 0
-[] Network: 5
-[] Nuclear Material: 0 --> 1
-[] Warp: 3 --> 2

This plan is about grabbing some useful things while making progress towards actualizing the Huntsmaster, acquiring the Heart Resonance, and helping out our allies.

For EXP, the Nuclear Resonance Engines are on my must-have list, as they give us more Nuclear Material and EXP while only costing a single Warp. It might not be the most efficient usage of resources, but I think that it's pretty good. Completing the MicroSingularity research sounds good to me as well.

Regarding CUL, I figure putting Theatritheurgy to use in getting some more ACD and Artifacts sounds good, while the Nuclear Dumping Grounds helps give us a slight surplus in Nuclear Material after doing the Ritual Engines in FTH. The Nova Mechanicus spy ring is the only one that's time-sensitive, in that the longer we wait to do it, the less effective our excuses will be IC.

In FTH, I'm investing heavily in the Hunstmaster in the hopes that we'll be able to realize him the following turn. Even if we can't, his projects are useful enough that I'm willing to grab all 3 so that we're better prepared for war in the future. The Ritual Engines and Road-Docks ought to unlock a wide range of FTH ships, so that'll be interesting to see the full effects of. Finally, Temple Jewels just sounds neat to me.

Last, with ACD, we help out our allies some, and finally grab those Gellar Shield improvements. In addition, we get some regular shield improvements.

For Resources, we'll have at least one of every resource type apart from Living Metal, and that's a relatively easy fix next turn. If we wanted, we could grab the Heart Resonance the following turn and see what sort of benefits that gives us.

Hmm, it is interesting thinking about what all the Antianima we're spawning are doing to the galaxy.

To everyone else, it's like several whole new offshoots of daemons abruptly started showing
I mean in all of vastness of the warp I'd assume something similar to the bo'oug have appeared
Warp entities can get really weird for example there was one in an older 40K book that looked like a large puddle of mercury that went inside people and impaled them

Last edited:
A group of plans centered around a big purchase item. These are meant to be at least after Chelle's Nuke plan, probably the Turn after that.

Big Dreamer Set: TeraArt Gallery.
EXP: 165/177.
Metalsong Muses 0/10->10/10. -1 LM.
Satiation Array 0/10->10/10. +1 LM.
Geode Canyon Heavy Mining Operations 0/25->25/25. +1 NK.
Ice-Art Galleries 0/10->10/10.
TeraArt Gallery 0/100->100. -1 NK. -1 NT.

New Muse type, and of course the TeraArt Gallery and a new addition to it in the Ice-Art Galleries, but a lot of paying off resource costs as well.

CUL: 142/154.
Sandscorn Water Park 13/25->25/25.
Winterspite Battlezone Lodging 5/25->25/25.
Metamorphae Muses 0/10->10/10. -1 WRP.
PygmaliTek Workshop 0/15->15/15.
Muse Chorusnet 0/25->25/25. -2 NT.
Great Gallery Artquarium 0/25->25/25.
Sacred Jade Statues 0/35->35/35.

Winterspite Battle Lodging to keep Winterspite happy, and Sandscorn Water Park because there weren't many good projects for art that cost less than 20 points left after another new Muse type, a general buff to Muse production, a general buff to most Muses, another Gallery addition, and the Dancer likes the Jade Statues.

FTH: 160/166.
Temple to the Gourmand 0/25->25/25.
Temple to the Concerta 0/25->25/25.
ConsecraTek Ateliers 0/25->25. +1 ART.
Calling Dance 0/25->25/25. +1 WRP.
Greater Holy Talismans 0/15->15/15. -1 WRP.
Celestial Engines 0/25->25/25. -1 WRP.
Ritual of Lifes Renewal 0/20->20/20. +10 Khimer Rep.

Temples are a no-brainer, the Ateliers are explicitly a Grandmaster thing, and considering the GigaArt Gallery had the Dancer manifest, the Calling Dance being done the same Turn as the TeraArt Gallery makes sense. Greater Holy Talismans buffs all divine talismans, Celestial Engines provide a power boost, and something like the TeraArt Gallery should absolutely have one of those. Didn't have much room left, so I grabbed Renewal.

ACD: 135/128(+15).
Khimer Genetic Damage 0/40->40/40. -1 BIO.
Sandscorn Pilot Gene-Recombination 0/25->25/25. +2 Khimer Rep. +1 Coffin INF.
Devourer Warforme Study 0/25->25/25. +1 BIO.
HoloTek 1/25->25/25.
Mega-Art Charging Stations 4/25->25/25. +1 WRP.

Didn't have much in the ACD section for Art, so I did the Khimer stuff instead. Combining +10 years to their lifespan with making the Pilots able to reproduce again seems logical, and the Devourer Warforme Study covers the BIO cost. That being said, HoloTek should have art applications, and Mega-Art Charging Stations sounds like something TeraArt would get a huge amount of benefit from.

Resources
Artifacts: 1->2
Biodata: 4
Intel: 0
Living Metal: 0->1
Network: 4->1
Nuclear Material: 1
Warp: 6->4

Big Dreamer Set: Tartustus Parole Board
EXP: 170/177.
Yaccae Generatoriums 0/25->25/25. +1 NK.
Expanded Lunar Forges 0/30->30/30. +1 ART.
Tacchis Forge-Temple Mines 0/25->25/25.
Tacchis Forge-Temple Paleotech Cogitator Mainframe 0/25->25/25. +1 NT. -1 ART.
Great Grave of Spra'ang 0/10->10/10.
MegaMausoleum 0/25->25/25.

OOG-87 project. (25/25)

This is sort of a Testament/Mechanicus plan, since it arms the Volcanus 9 people better, both in the literal and metaphorical senses, so it grabs the available ones from EXP. Though even then, EXP doesn't have enough to fill that out, and leans on the Imperial obsession with death via the Grave and Mausoleum, plus doing OOG-87's project before we lose them. Well, the successor to the current one anyway.

CUL: 154/154.
Winterspite Privateering 0/35->19/35. -1 INT.
Volcanus 9 Nova Mechanicus 0/35->35/35. +1 INT.
Volcanus 9 Trading Company 0/35->35/35. +1 INT.
Tartustus Parole Board 0/65->65/65. +1 INT.

Going heavily into the Espionage group, following the Parole Board.

FTH: 166.
Sacred Oils 0/25->25/25. -1 WRP.
Cantor Mechanica 0/25->25/25. -1 WRP.
Archaeotech Shrine Automata 0/25->25/25. -1 ART.
Yaccae Greater Cogitorium 0/35->35/35. +1 NT.
Hand of The Emperor 0/25->25/25.
Templedog Augments 0/25->25/25.

Getting miracles up and running will do a lot to keep people from looking too closely at our spies in the Mechanicus, and is likely necessary to get them into the Ecclesiarchy at all.

Khimer NeuroProgrammer 0/45->45/45. -1 NT.
Sandscorn Devourer Eco-Hybridization 0/15->15/15. -1 BIO.
Vault of Scrolls 0/25->25/25.
Bionics 0/25->25/25. +FA INF.
Paleotech Reproduction 0/25->25/25. +1 ART.

Khimer and an Auton project. Given Koptu was one of the big voices against Marjak, I see little reason not to do her stuff. A couple more projects for the Mechanicus and Testament.
Resources
Artifacts: 1
Biodata: 4->3.
Intel: 0->3
Living Metal: 0
Network: 4->5
Warp: 6

Big Dreamer Set: Netratheum
EXP: 177/177.
MegaMachines of the Volatile Lands! 0/50->32/50. +1 NK. +1 LM.
Yaccae Generatoriums 0/25->25/25. +1 NK.
Deep Gas Harvesters 0/35->35/35. +1 NK.
Tachyonic Gate 0/50->50/50.

OOG-87 project(25/25)

Going all in on C'Tan projects. With the Tachyonic Gate, the Khimer should be much easier to get to from our system. Satiation Array is a C'Tan project. Otherwise? Getting resources for the TekPyramid types.

CUL: 150/154.
Gas for Meat 0/25->25/25. +2 Khimer Rep.
Netratheum 0/100->100/100. +3 NT.

Netratheum is the only thing for the C'Tan besides Cairns in CUL, and we're not doing Cairns, so instead I grab Lodging and a Khimer industrial project.

FTH: 166/166.
An Unquenchable Thirst 0/10->10/10. +1 LM.
Voice of Mother 0/15->15/15. +1 ART.
Shining TekPyramid 0/25->25/25. +1 WRP. -1 NK.
Sanctified TekPyramids 0/25->25/25. +1 WRP. -1 NK.
Black Pyramids 0/35->35/35. +1 WRP.
The Chalice 0/25->25/25. +1 WRP.
Delve into Shifting Tessaract 9/50->40/50. +2 ART.

All available direct C'Tan projects done except the Court of Chains, and Delve most of the way done.

Khimer Genetic Damage 0/40->40/40. -1 BIO.
Khimer NeuroProgrammer 0/45->45/45. -1 NT.
Sandscorn Pilot Gene-Recombination 0/25->25/25. +2 Khimer Rep. +1 Coffin INF.

Seeing as there's surprisingly little C'Tan stuff in ACD besides the God Forge(which we're not doing any time soon) this is pure Khimer stuff.

This is probably my second favorite of the plans. Mostly because the sheer infrastructure improvement is likely to be bonkers.

Resources
Artifacts: 1->2.
Biodata: 4
Living Metal: 0->2.
Network: 4->6
Warp: 6->10.

Big Dreamer Set: Oven of Sacrifice
EXP: 170/177.
Sandscorn Magneto-Shield 0/25->25/25. +2 Khimer Rep.
Sandscorn Ashfall 0/25->25/25. +3 Khimer Rep.
Sandscorn Skyhook 0/25->25/25. +2 Khimer Rep.
Sandscorn Industrial Hubs 0/25->25/25. +2 Khimer Rep.
Biocity Biolasers 0/10->10/10.
Sandscorn Mining Ships 0/25->25/25. +3 Khimer Rep.
Flames of Naklis 0/25->25/25. -1 BIO.

There isn't much for the Assembly here, so EXP goes to Khimer aid, a project to buff the Wings for the Yr Albain, and Satiation Array, to pay off special resources.

CUL: 150/154.
Hearts Crescendo 0/95->95/95. -1 ART. -1 BIO. -1 LM. -1 NT. -1 NK. -1 WRP.
Book of Forgotten Memories 0/35->35/35.

Technically, the Dagger is an aspect of the Heart, so Heart's Crescendo should feed back into the Dagger. Book has similar logic. Winterspite to keep chugging away at that. If Chelle's Nuke plan procs a Nuclear Revolution, Crescendo might even drop the NK, which would be nice.
FTH: 160/166.
An Unquenchable Thirst 0/10->10/10. +1 LM.
Daggertine Memorial 0/50->50/50. -1 WRP.
Oven of Sacrifice 0/100->100/100. +1 WRP.

Big investments into the Dagger here.

ACD: 125/128(+15).
Peer Review Board 0/25->25/25. +1 ART. +1 WRP.
Biocity Gastroreactors 0/20->20/20. +1 NK. -1 BIO.

Heart of Erichtheo 0/35->35/35. -1 ART.
Biogenic Gel 0/20->20/20. +1 ART. -1 BIO.

Yeah, not a lot of Assembly stuff here either, so more Khimer and Yr Albain stuff.

This is my favorite of the group, and I consider it the most viable, even if it's the messiest of the lot.

Resources
Artifacts: 1
Biodata: 4->1.
Living Metal: 0->1
Network: 4->3
Warp: 6

Oh I love these plans!
(Also I'm a bit bias for having many Anti-Imperium projects, Winterspite and Khimer Genetic Damage, Tartustus Parole Board is my favorite plan and the second-favorite is Oven of Sacrifice)

Last edited:
True enough, though we did get a new Curse this turn, in addition to the various weapon upgrades we purchased. So I think that we'll be able to.find something useful for that purpose. If nothing else, we could always get more shield upgrades to deal with their weapons.

Ya know, it would be pretty neat if we end up having a Halloween event like we did in the Christmas one, only this time the horror is higher and all the common themes are there. From the tricks that are played to the treats that are given.

Back