Re: Agueda's Agueda-ness and general inhuman weirdness, this is something that hYGP has managed to telegraph bit by bit but never outright said. Notice, for one, how we very rarely see descriptions of characters and when we do:

Vivien's Interlude is called "A High Elf's Prayer For Better Days" so we know what she is. Cormag is well, an ork. And a relatively big one at that. I didn't say a lick on this because I thought someone else would note and ask about it in the open but- here we are. And for Agueda, there were always things that are weird with his narrations or how others percieve him:

Agueda being something that is apparently taboo or rude to mention to their face is already something noted since the start. No one remarked on his Night Vision either. Or how apparently Vivien got jumpscared enough for him to stroll under- which at least pegged him as a Dwarf... or a magical spider being of a sort. And with this reveal in mind, some of the oddity in his narrations aren't quite turn of phrases:

Signs now point to him being... y'know, at least exceptionally long-lived tax-spider who can casually call out High Elves on being 'short sighted'. Like it or not, hYGP pulled a fast one on us... because no one bothered to ask ; v;

Most of those come across as kinda lazy quest writing? Sprinkling in so little in the way of descriptions doesn't really come across as teasing the truth but rather failing to describe things and leaving it up to the reader to shape them as they want.

To be fair, we as players don't need to know what any character looks like to know how to play. Give us a few good lines to understand the rough character archetype that our GM is using, we generally don't need to know much else to follow what's happening in the quest. Descriptions can be nice, but they aren't necessarily required to tell the story.

More relevant to the parts about our MC, any details about our MC can easily be explained as hyperbole or generic fantasy shenanigans. Darkvision is really the only one that's come up before that can't be just hyperbole, and it's such a common thing in fantasy that it hardly deserves a reaction.

[X] Plan Making Swift Justice (And The Shiny) A (Nigh) Certainty - Intrigue Edition

BREWING SUSPICION MONTH 10 ROLL CALL
Plan Making Swift Justice (And The Shiny) A (Nigh) Certainty - Intrigue Edition wins, 7-2-1.

Roll me 8d100s.

Martial: Knock Knock: DC: 25. Base Stat: 17 + 1 + 2 + 2. Cost: 2 Budget.
Diplomacy: The Royal Faction: DC: 20. Base Stat: 17 + 2. Cost: 10 Budget.
Intrigue: Chasing the Count: DC: 26. Base Stat: 22 + 3 + 2. Cost: 8 Budget.
Learning: Sympathetic Resonance: DC: 25. Base Stat: 20. Cost: 4 Budget.
Stewardship: A Fair Trial: DC: 15. Base Stat: 22 + 2. Cost: 0 Budget.
Piety: Justice, Unerring and Unflagging: DC: 26. Base Stat: 20. Cost: 0 Budget.

Rolling in!
Edit: Not what I wanted, but at least it's not a one.
NeonLights threw 1 100-faced dice. Reason: Don't need one! Total: 31
31 31

Last edited:
...4th Roll has a cointoss chance of succeeding so, I'll brave the waters.
EDIT: Well, we failed the 4th so I take the 6th... which has a 40% chance of success.

*internally screams*

Post-Edit: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
Vocalend threw 1 100-faced dice. Reason: Piety Total: 100
100 100

Last edited:
The spirits are with us, or against the count.
Running away is a great strategy in appeasing the spirit of Justice.

Aight fuck it we'll do this live
...4th Roll has a cointoss chance of succeeding so, I'll brave the waters.
EDIT: Well, we failed the 4th so I take the 6th... which has a 40% chance of success.

*internally screams*

Post-Edit: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
As a result of a natural 100 and other various Justice aligned actions, Justice will grant you one boon. As you are the roller, you get to pick one.

+2 Shiny.

Title: The Just. Gains Virtue: Justice (Will not replace Prudence), and gains +2 Diplomacy, +2 Piety.

Status: Ally of Justice: Permanent - 5 DC to all Justice-related actions.

RER time! Let's get crazy!

Edit: I'm good about keeping it average
Aight, since you're the last roll let's also have a choice for you:

Do you want to annul the roll, or have me use it for something?

As a result of a natural 100 and other various Justice aligned actions, Justice will grant you one boon. As you are the roller, you get to pick one.

+2 Shiny.

Title: The Just. Gains Virtue: Justice (Will not replace Prudence), and gains +2 Diplomacy, +2 Piety.

Okay I don't want to interfere since this is the roller's choice so I will just say this, Thank you! This is awesome regardless of choice Justice FTW!

Also this reminds me since we are going to get at least 1 shiny from completing in a year, will their be a new list or will we pick from the old one?

+2 Shiny.

In other words and in order: a) `flexible benefits to tailor to our new case'; b) 'narrative bonus and jack-of-all-trades bonii'; or c) 'stupidly powerful situational bonus'. Of note-
-[] Justice: You're known for being fair in all your dealings. +1 Diplomacy, +1 Stewardship, +1 Respect.
The two bonii stacks. So for +5 Stats shoring up our Diplo problems and upping our Stewardship up, we unlock the Respect stat.

@huhYeahGoodPoint, care to tell us what the stat does now? I will be picking The Just.

In other words and in order: a) `flexible benefits to tailor to our new case'; b) 'narrative bonus and jack-of-all-trades bonii'; or c) 'stupidly powerful situational bonus'. Of note-

The two bonii stacks. So for +5 Stats shoring up our Diplo problems and upping our Stewardship up, we unlock the Respect stat.

@huhYeahGoodPoint, care to tell us what the stat does now? I will be picking The Just.
Done.

Respect as a stat is one of the three previously hidden relationship statistics. It is exactly what it sounds like: how much people respect you. In their own turn they may Love or Hate you, but so long as your Respect is high your word, your honor, and your intentions carry weight. Just the opposite, should you prove to be unworthy of Respect people may also still love and hate you in their own turns, but there is always an acknowledgement: you may have power but it is one wielded by a fickle and disreputable power.

To have 1 Respect is to be notable. To have 10 shapes the nation. To have 20 shapes the world for hundreds of years to come.

As such, the three relationship stats will be unlocked as of the next Case.

Done.

Respect as a stat is one of the three previously hidden relationship statistics. It is exactly what it sounds like: how much people respect you. In their own turn they may Love or Hate you, but so long as your Respect is high your word, your honor, and your intentions carry weight. Just the opposite, should you prove to be unworthy of Respect people may also still love and hate you in their own turns, but there is always an acknowledgement: you may have power but it is one wielded by a fickle and disreputable power.

To have 1 Respect is to be notable. To have 10 shapes the nation. To have 20 shapes the world for hundreds of years to come.

As such, the three relationship stats will be unlocked as of the next Case.
Wow this kind of makes me want to double down and spend our shiny on Respected just so we can have that much more weight to our word after this and make it so people know we mean business. Probably not optimal but it is a cool thought.

+2 Shiny.

Nah, it's pretty average. That means even if you use it nothing interesting will really come of it. Unless you already have something that needs a roll just annual it

Random Event Roll: 57

Mercifully, it all...works. The crowds, pushed to the boiling point, simmer down with the arrival of grain, and the army groups, floudering for something to do, quietly slink away when their time is up. The heated September Days fizzles out over the course of October, as the weather chills and fields are harvested more fully.

HOSTILE INTRIGUE INTERRUPT: DC: 20. Roll: 13 + 7.9 = 20.9

Except...in the middle of this, the Count and his conspirators had slipped away! Fortunately, they slipped away towards the end of the month, so they couldn't've gone far, but...

Long Drawn Out Sigh....

Okay. Between the Free Action and the +1 to Intrigue from the Heat we purchased in Month 7, Chasing the Count isn't able to fail barring outside factions.
We got a +2 to Intrigue, and a +1 to Marital, and we got +2 from the Spirits. Though that means the Heat bonus drops to 1 (since it won't apply above 25).

Why didn't this use our intrigue? Mechanically speaking we seem to have used whoever has the best stat, so how do we know who's stat we're going to use when?

The option last turn specifically said it would use Kerrie's intrigue.

Martial Action (Choose 1) {Kerrie Action}
[] [Martial] Knock Knock

You have two companies of mercenaries, you know the Count's network, and you have yourselves. You're going to get answers about where they went, by force if necessary. DC: 25. Cost: 2 Budget.
[] [Martial] Speed Is King

You only need the mercenary companies' most elite teams and horseback in order to ensure that you can move as swiftly as the conspirators. You'll lose a lot of mercenary strength...but you'll get speed. DC: 20. Cost: 8 Budget.

Kerrie's Martial is 17, Heat gives +1 and the Spirtis +2, so we start with 20. Not sure if the Merc bonus applies or not. @huhYeahGoodPoint Does it?

Diplomacy (Choose 1) {Cormag Action}
[] [Diplomacy] The Noble Faction

Now that things have come down to this point, you can try to remove the roadblocks the noble faction is putting up in their jury trial. DC: 24. Cost: 10 Budget.
[] [Diplomacy] The Royal Faction

You can also work to ensure that there are absolutely no cracks in the royalist faction, in order to make sure that the other efforts don't go to waste for no reason. DC: 20. Cost: 10 Budget.
[] [Diplomacy] The Neutral Faction

By far the most nobility lay in the neutral faction, however, so you can work to sew up their willingness to convict the Count and his conspirators. While it won't be completely unanimous, if you can convince them of it you can get them to leverage the noble faction into giving way. DC: 22. Cost: 10 Budget.

Diplomacy Stat is 17, we get +2 from Spirits. That's 19, if we add our free action we can get up to 22. Feeling that we should go with the Neutral Faction.

Intrigue (Choose 1) {Agueda Action}
[] [Intrigue] Chasing the Count

With your previous efforts to figure out exactly who the Count's conspirators are, you can roll in hot on his trail. DC: 26. Cost: 8 Budget.
[] [Intrigue] Noble Blackmail

Since Kerrie's got some of this blackmail, it would be a shame to leave it unused - and you still probably need to get some blackmail on the rest. DC: 27. Cost: 4 Budget.

Intrigue stat is at 25 with Heat and Spirit bonus, so both actions are possible and likely to succeed. 8 (Speed is King) + 10 (Any of the Diplomacy Actions) + 8 (Chasing the Count) brings us to 26 Cost. Leaving 16 still available...

Stewardship (Choose 1) {Agueda Action}
[] [Stewardship] Trial in Absentia

Oh well, if the Count and his conspirators doesn't want to speak in his own defense you can make sure to make the trial go ahead anyway in absentia, and then just vote to strip him of all his titles and wealth. DC: 28. Cost: 0 Budget.
[] [Stewardship] A Fair Trial

On the other hand, if you can drag the Count and his conspirators back here in time, well...the Count's escape would practically seal their fate. Requires the capture of the Count. DC: 15. Cost: 0 Budget.
[] [Stewardship] Sales

At this point, you have a huge collection of things you could sell for quite the tidy profit. Do so. DC: 15. Gain: 30 Budget.

On Stewardship, Abstentia has a 60% chance of success stand alone, 90% if we add our Free action. 22 (base) + 2 (Spirits) + 3 (Free Action).

@huhYeahGoodPoint Shouldn't we just have one option, that of Advancing the Case and if we catch the Count we get Fair Trial, and if we don't it's Trial in Abstentia? What happens if we pick Fair Trail, and don't catch him? What if we pick Abstentia and we do catch him?

[] [Learning] Sympathetic Resonance
While Tekla was toying around with some of the things he got as part of the grab bag of things that the nobility had effectively discarded, he suddenly realized that one of them was a magical tool that helped draw sympathetic resonances between items; and since you had things of the Count, you could in theory set up a link between those items and a tracker. DC: 25. Cost: 4 Budget.

Piety (Choose 1) {Agueda Action}
[] [Piety] Spiritual Interrogation

With the right appeasements to the land, the land itself may be able to help point you in the direction of the Count. DC: 24. Cost: 4 Budget.
[] [Piety] Justice, Unerring and Unflagging

Alternatively, you could try praying to Justice again, and see whether Justice might be able to help you track down where in the world the Count went, especially after fleeing the trial. DC: 26. Cost: 0 Budget.

Basically these are just add ons to make it easier to catch the Count.

To me the real question is where we should put our Free Action, add it to the Diplomacy? Or to Abstentia? Or use it to cash in on our information?

Note that to really succeed we need to not just catch the Count, convict him, but also convince the Sejm to strip him of his money. That suggests to me that we need to use our Free Action on Diplomacy.

[X] Plan Convince the Sejm For Total Victory
-[X] [Martial] Speed Is King
-[X] [Diplomacy+Free] The Neutral Faction
-[X] [Intrigue] Chasing the Count

-[X] [Stewardship] A Fair Trial
-[X] [Learning] Sympathetic Resonance
-[X] [Piety] Justice, Unerring and Unflagging

Martial has a 90% chance of catching the Count. Intrigue has a 90% chance of catching the count. Combined that's a 99% chance of catching the count, and that doesn't take into account any bonuses we might get from Learning (somewhere between 60% and 80% chance of success) and Piety (an 80% chance of success). So yeah, we are catching the Count. That means he gets convicted so the only thing left is to convince the Sejm to strip the Count of his property. We could go all out on the Noble Faction and have an 80% chance of success, or we can go with the Neutral Faction, have a 100% chance of success, and hope that succeeds in leveraging the Nobles Faction into conceding the issue.

I don't know enough about the situation here, so I'm leaning on the descriptions, which have me feeling that convincing the Neutral Faction is likely enough to count this as complete win for the tax office. But if the Neutral Faction has a less than 80% chance of persuading the Noble Faction to concede the issue, then we are actually better off with the Noble Faction.

@huhYeahGoodPoint Can you provide any guidance on whether the last point is true or not?

EDIT: AHHHRG!!!! The entire turn occured during my work shift!!! It used to take a full day for a turn to roll through... now it's less than 9 hours!?!

EDIT2: I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
Like it or not, hYGP pulled a fast one on us... because no one bothered to ask ; v;

While I didn't put together anything about being nonhumanoid or spider-like until this last update, I had figured that Agueda was a dwarf rather than a human since the beady black eyes.

That said, I am going to say that the only actual evidence we had to conclude that Agueda isn't human has been in the last update. We were given no reason to assume that Agueda was anything other than human and there wasn't any actual hints until this latest update. Saying that the QM pulled a fast one on us is incorrect since there was no way for us to realise that there something else going on.

Back