the Ritsuka astral projection thing is a bit wack, but wack people exist in fate, Ritsuka has a frankly insane master/servant compatibility and are like only below wodime and daybit or something i hear, so that could certainly just be it, Ritsuka with astral projecting dreams into pocket dimensions, other timelines, singularities etc. is just a special ability they have. but it could also be the counterforce trying to help out, several of those instances have prevented the end for wherever Ritsuka ended up. way i personally see it tho is that it's basically what Musashi has going on, the involuntary reality jumping and later at will rayshift thing, but like, sleep based and still tied to his body, with possibly the counter force guiding where the destination is.

Last edited:
the Ritsuka astral projection thing is a bit wack
Ya know, I can't remember, but when was the first time Ritsuka astral projected? Was it before or after Monte Christo? Because if it was after, then Monte Christo might actually be why its happening in the first place. Only a handful of events predate it and the only big one I don't remember if it was a Rayshift or inside Chaldea was Christmas 1.

Sacrificing most of Taylor's hair works better that just half of it, cause of the sacrifice. Due to how much Taylor cares about her hair and her connection to spiders, it works better.

There is also some connection to legends and fables about women sacrifice of their hair.

Also it let's Taylor do something even if it somehow makes her magic weaker.

Ya know, I can't remember, but when was the first time Ritsuka astral projected? Was it before or after Monte Christo? Because if it was after, then Monte Christo might actually be why its happening in the first place. Only a handful of events predate it and the only big one I don't remember if it was a Rayshift or inside Chaldea was Christmas 1.
i am unsure if it counts, but even so far back as the french singularity we get dreams about things happening in other places, taylor got it in the story here too i am fairly sure, we didn't physically appear, but we did still observe and listen, might be an early version of it manifesting?

I like the that the dream catcher will presumably help Marie in more ways than just her nightmares. The act of receiving a gift from the second closest (now closest) person to her after what happened to her, especially with the effort and highly visible sacrifice (given the hair loss), will be very impactful for Marie. Still, like Fencer said in this post
Honest question here but… should they make her a dreamcatcher at all? don't get me wrong I know for patient comfort preventing traumatic dreams would be a blessing, and my knowledge of psychology is patchwork, but dreams play a roll in how our minds process information. Preventing that from happening might not be great for long term recovery.

I am literally just playing devils advocate I am well aware the director is getting a dream catcher.
I am concerned about the potential long term side effects from Marie losing those nightmares. I admittedly don't know the lore about dreamcatchers so I don't know if it contradicts what I'm about to suggest, but a throwaway line saying something like that the dream catcher doesn't necessarily remove the nightmare entirely, but rather transforms it into a less violent and painful dream could solve any concerns in this regard while still, thanks to the ambiguity of language, getting rid of her nightmares.

Last edited:
I am concerned about the potential long term side effects from Marie losing those nightmares. I admittedly don't know the lore about dreamcatchers so I don't know if it contradicts what I'm about to suggest, but a throwaway line saying something like that the dream catcher doesn't necessarily remove the nightmare entirely, but rather transforms it into a less violent and painful dream could solve any concerns in this regard while still, thanks to the ambiguity of language, getting rid of her nightmares.
To be fair, given proper therapy and recovery involves actively processing and confronting the traumatic event, I don't think keeping your nightmares would be any more help than the actual therapy. Remember - sleep is a crucial part of your mental wellbeing, and being unable to sleep is certainly adding water to an oil fire. Nightmares are just that, nightmares. You have no control on when they arrive, they can be very traumatic when they do, and when you get them, for a lot of people it becomes impossible to sleep again once they wake up.

Heck, given that Marie is neurotic enough to have existing anxiety problems, nightmares giving her a reason to be anxious about going to bed instead of sleep being a rest is certainly enough of a factor in trying to get rid of the nightmares entirely.

To be fair, given proper therapy and recovery involves actively processing and confronting the traumatic event, I don't think keeping your nightmares would be any more help than the actual therapy. Remember - sleep is a crucial part of your mental wellbeing, and being unable to sleep is certainly adding water to an oil fire. Nightmares are just that, nightmares. You have no control on when they arrive, they can be very traumatic when they do, and when you get them, for a lot of people it becomes impossible to sleep again once they wake up.

Heck, given that Marie is neurotic enough to have existing anxiety problems, nightmares giving her a reason to be anxious about going to bed instead of sleep being a rest is certainly enough of a factor in trying to get rid of the nightmares entirely.
My knowledge of psychology is hardly professional, so I can't say whether therapy can make up, so to speak, the experience of dreaming when it comes to processing your experiences. My comment when I was writing was based on the assumption that dreams provided a distinct, albeit similar, psychological service. Even if therapy can substitute perfectly well, Romani explicitly says that he does not have the time to give her the proper care, which still makes the dreaming process valuable in this case. Would Marie be better off psychologically even if the dream catcher just blanked her nightmares instead of soothing them? Yes. The anxiety and sleep deprivation that you pointed out she would almost undoubtedly experience otherwise would be more harmful. Still, the service that dreams provide in processing experiences is important, especially since Marie can't get proper therapy. Thus, it feels fair to be concerned about how the dream catcher goes about removing nightmares. I did not mean to imply that she'd be better off with the nightmares, although I can see how my comment can be interpreted that way. I hope this response sufficiently clears things up.

Last edited:
Possible psychological effects of preventing nightmares aside, I just thought of two 'bad' outcomes of using a dreamcatcher woven from Taylor's hair.

'Bad' as in the sense it technically works, but surprise! Now Marie is:

1) Having her dreamself channeled through Taylor's hair, which means instead of her own nightmares, she witnesses Taylor's dreams. She may never look at medical equipment the same way again. Bonus points if both Taylor and Marie are aware that Marie is witnessing the dreams, now they can talk more about it. Like what the fuck why did you blind yourself?!

2) Dreams. You know who also uses dreams? The entities. Woops! Marie now finds herself sitting on QA in it's dream space. QA is very interested.

Fair enough. Still doesn't mean my second point about Da Vinci and Aife being able to heal the "damage" afterwards is incorrect though. And this is assuming that Da Vinci even goes along with this harebrained scheme, which isn't necesarily true. Taylor might've been seeing the silk comment as an out, and it probably was one at least partially. But Da Vinci was probably absolutely correct that it would work better if it was done with actual spider silk. And it'd probably work better if Da Vinci made it. Taylor cutting her hair to make it is a noble sacrifice and all, but it's not likely to outdo something made by Da Vinci.

My knowledge of psychology is hardly professional, so I can't say whether therapy can make up, so to speak, the experience of dreaming when it comes to processing your experiences. My comment when I was writing was based on the assumption that dreams provided a distinct, albeit similar, psychological service. Even if therapy can substitute perfectly well, Romani explicitly says that he does not have the time to give her the proper care, which still makes the dreaming process valuable in this case. Would Marie be better off psychologically even if the dream catcher just blanked her nightmares instead of soothing them? Yes. The anxiety and sleep deprivation that you pointed out she would almost undoubtedly experience otherwise would be more harmful. Still, the service that dreams provide in processing experiences is important, especially since Marie can't get proper therapy. Thus, it feels fair to be concerned about how the dream catcher goes about removing nightmares. I did not mean to imply that she'd be better off with the nightmares, although I can see how my comment can be interpreted that way. I hope this response sufficiently clears things up.
Well I do have some background in psychology since I'm currently graduating from it. And though the psychodynamic approach does argue that dreams are important in memory consolidation and emotional regulation, it is also in a sense of remembering your dreams and interpreting them. The fact is, most of the time people can't even recall their dreams, even nightmares unless they're the recurring type, so there's very little evidence towards the psychodynamic approach unfortunately. It doesn't help that memory, especially dream memory, can be extremely fallible and prone to bias. Arguably, even the dream interpretation part of the therapy process can be considered as an offshoot of cognitive therapy as opposed to merely psychodynamic in nature.

On the other hand, sleep deprivation and its consequences, as well as anxiety issues, are well-studied and verified. Ask any psychiatrist that has to deal with a patient suffering from recurring nightmares, and they'll tell you every time that the patient often wants nothing but the nightmares to stop, if only they could finally get some rest. In the real world, we don't have things like dreamcatchers or convenient drugs that can stop you from dreaming entirely, only reduce them, but if it were an option then it would certainly be the first treatment to go with. At the moment, our best techniques for dealing with nightmares involves either dealing with the causes (thus, the therapy) and/or teaching the patient some calming techniques so they could be convinced to go back to sleep after a nightmare. Both of which are rather difficult when a patient is highstrung and sleep-deprived, to say the least.

So dreamcatchers? Honestly, I wish they actually worked. It would make treating those suffering with PTSD easier.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!
Just what is her karma, anyway?
Somehow, her karma is shit. Either she was really horrible in her past life, or her father's sin got unjustly dumped in her head.

Yes, I'm blaming her dad.
"I don't think a kiss is going to fix this sleeping beauty, Onii-chan."
Jokingly, it might just worked. Male Ritsuka is pretty amazing canon wise. He managed to woe Goddesses. Olga Marie shouldn't be an issue. He just needed time.

Seriously, it just isn't the time. I know Rika jokes as her way to cope, but damn it that still sucked.

Fair enough. Still doesn't mean my second point about Da Vinci and Aife being able to heal the "damage" afterwards is incorrect though. And this is assuming that Da Vinci even goes along with this harebrained scheme, which isn't necesarily true. Taylor might've been seeing the silk comment as an out, and it probably was one at least partially. But Da Vinci was probably absolutely correct that it would work better if it was done with actual spider silk. And it'd probably work better if Da Vinci made it. Taylor cutting her hair to make it is a noble sacrifice and all, but it's not likely to outdo something made by Da Vinci.
Eeeeeehhhh.
Just to lay out seperate positions because I think we agree on some specific points and disagree on others.
I could see the silk vs hair going either way, I agree that Taylor doesn't need to cut off all her hair but also understand she isn't in a compromising mood compromising might even remove the power of the sacrifice in that case Taylor would need to cut off all her hair, I disagree with Da Vinci being able to make something better (Da Vinci can't use the Spider Puppet in the same way to make it) however even if Da Vinci could Taylor would still be willing to cut off her hair because Da Vinci could make a better one with better components, and you misunderstand how sacrifices work.
I think Da Vinci is being a bit extreme in calling it crippling, however Taylors sacrifice would hurt her on a conceptual level not a actually physical one, even if Da Vinci's Hair Regrower immediately restores Taylors hair, it wouldn't have the same effort put into maintaining it and growing it out so that wouldn't be properly restored until she's managed to replace that. There just aren't easy outs like that when it comes to magic.

Last edited:
"Aboard to Dreamland" - by Wolfkiller
Marie couldn't help but stare at the sight Infront of her. Crystals as far as she could see, from the ground she stood on to the mountains in the distance, softly pulsing with light.

[INQUIRY]

It wasn't a sound, nor was it magic, it wasn't just one word, it was like a full page of writing shoved into her head.

[DATA] [SOLUTION]

It came again, this time Marie struggled to stay standing.

The next one came, it felt like someone had dumped the biggest, fluffiest blanket they could find on her. The world around her faded into darkness as Marie landed on somthing soft and fluffy.

[Sleep]

It was a familiar voice.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

2) Dreams. You know who also uses dreams? The entities. Woops! Marie now finds herself sitting on QA in it's dream space. QA is very interested.

i mean, considering that the dream catchers are only gonna cut out nightmares, i think it's a non issue, cause like, she'll still dream, it's entirely possible that the nightmare just becomes a regular dream, something that is probably much easier to process and also lets her sleep normally, it's not like she's gonna have no dreams, just no nightmares, her mind will still process things through her dreams, so all the benefits of it still exist.

Romani shook his head. "I can't even say that the worst of it is over. The Director is in for a long, hard struggle, and frankly, even once she's well enough to resume her own duties, there's still just too much going on for me to dedicate the time and care she needs to make a full recovery. Mentally speaking, I mean."

We need Kiara here now. Unrepentant Beast or not, she at least takes her job as therapist seriously*. If she were summoned, she'd do her level best to help poor Olga, even if the rest of the time she needed Andersen keeping an eye on her.

We need Kiara here now. Unrepentant Beast or not, she at least takes her job as therapist seriously*. If she were summoned, she'd do her level best to help poor Olga, even if the rest of the time she needed Andersen keeping an eye on her.

The thing is FGO's Kiara IS a Good Girl and a therapist that really tries to help. She only got screwed over by a Demon Pillar and getting exposed to a horrible version of herself. Sadly she is currently incinerated like the rest of Humanity.

Any summoned version of her will probably always be an off-shoot of Beast III though. What she does and why she does anything is entirely up to her... Unless we "sacrifice" Ritsuka to her. For the Good of Humanity of course! ("Onii-chan, i'm sure i don't need to remind you to not stick it into Crazy, right?")

...On that note, does Sigurd count as "blue eyed man with deep voice?" Or he just isn't "deep" enough?

I'll be honest, I understand it's supposed to come across as a meaningful sacrifice, but it's undermined for me by how unnecessary, or perhaps rushed, it seems? Marie has woken up exactly once. Taylor failed to even try to be conventionally comforting (which she is capable of; see Scourge 19.2, with Grue), focused to an odd degree on being vengeful towards Lev rather than understanding what exactly Marie went through (even if her comments about Lev being dead did help), and then jumped straight to the conclusion that Marie needed a dreamcatcher and that she should sacrifice all her hair for it.

It reads to me as impulsive, without the consideration and backing that would make it touching.

Did this one a while ago on Artbreeder, but never revealed it because my editors said it was "too realistic." I like it anyway, and thought I'd share it now.
If you had not explicitly told us you made that, I would think it was just an actual picture. The future of analog horror according to Game Theory is looking more and more likely by the second...

Back