Gestalt, A Worm x PMMM Faux-quest

No way would she leave Taylor alone right now. She could think about what happened... but I don't think she really wants to. So, my prediction is:

[-] You are here to make sure nothing happens to your friend, and there's absolutely nothing wrong in doing so.
[-] Consider your next move.
-[-] The ABB wannabes were strangely… quiet today. Did you finally teach them you're not worth the trouble? Or did something else happen? Poke Sarah; she must've heard something, and she might feel like being useful today.

I really want to figure out what's going on with the colors. Like there's... specific patterns there?

Anyone wanna find the other example and compare it? Red and yellow could be emotional tells, red could be a kind of statement of truth thing... but I'm not getting blue. The "I am" implies to me that it's like, the darker emotions, or maybe even a bit of our witch or something...
I think it's been said before that dark blue is her magical girl instincts and yellow is the way she used to think when she was bullying that one kid at Immaculata.

I am once again plugging the TvT page.

Ah there's the gay content we all know and love.

It's a magical girl fanfic with Taylor "Gets Shipped With All The Blondes" Hebert. I'm gonna take full advantage of that :V.

You know, for how much of an asshole she is, this entire conversation just kinda sucks for Stalker. Everything she is, everything she tries to make herself like, and every tactic she uses is completely useless against Rachel. Rachel's seen it all before because of her Magical Girl experience, and seen people do it better - not to mention embodying it both better and with more kindness than Stalker thinks possible. And Sophia has no way of knowing this - she's discovering the outline of all of the nonsense one unnerving piece at a time. I almost want her to be read in on the bullshit, if only so she has an honest chance to throw in the towel on this fight.

I don't think she would, mind you. But it'd be the kindest option for her, I think.

Oh yes. I know there's the one Tomb Raider crossover that has Sophia immediately disengage when she realizes that Taylor is no longer 'prey', but considering the social awareness she had in canon...

Well. I mean, this is the person who insisted that Emma Barnes, who has the emotional resilience of a soggy cracker, was a "strong person". It might take more than a few clue-by-fours for Sophia to get it, if she ever does. Or getting a first-hand look at what Rachel actually hunts every night, as opposed to what she does.

... Speaking of which, there's a scene in my notes that's called "The Wards are taken Witch Hunting".

Oh boy it looks like the Taylor that never will be is having her Escalation bleeding into Rachel. Because that's a very sudden shift in the conversation damn.

I will never not find it amusing that Taylor is the one stepping on Rachel's breaks.

That being said, Rachel's idea of escalation is less "they sent one of ours to the hospital, so we send one of theirs to the morgue" and more "cross this line and these will be the consequences". If she gives it a think, she'll realize that she gave a similar ultimatum to Anna & Andrea.

The fear response is interesting here, especially turning into wrath as it does. Stalker is probably self-aware enough to notice it, and she's covering it up with more bluster because she psychologically can't run away from her problems (thanks Shard). That very technically makes her cornered here, which is a sort-of dangerous position for Rachel to leave her in, since she might just double-down and escalate from her end.

You are, indeed, correct.

Let's see how this develops :V.

Okay so I'm just going to start here with the obvious caveat that while Stalker might be psychologically inequipped to handle serious self-reflection, Rachel isn't. There's a lot of stuff to think about here and the potential consequences of it should be acknowledged. Also it should be at least mentioned to Taylor at some point after she wakes up, given how tied into the whole debacle she is.

It's very impressive that she slept through that entire confrontation, actually. I suppose sleeping through being woman-handled is sleeping deeply enough to miss normal-voice level conversation, but still.

Sticking with Taylor is probably the better option, though maybe on the other side of a curtain or something. Having Taylor wake up in a completely different location than she fell asleep without context or continuity of information to explain how she got there is a fairly shitty way to wake up for someone who fears retribution, so Rachel being on-hand to allay any fears would be nice. Though I guess it's not like Rachel can't move from outside the room to inside the room in seconds, so maybe that's less of a concern than I think it is. Hard to say.

"What happened while I was out?"

Scene cuts to Brockton Bay cityscape. Distantly, one can hear,

"YOU DID WHAT!!!??"

Emma gets right to the heart of the motivation but she's also a crazier bitch than Shadow Stalker is and her potential reaction is extremely unpredictable as a result. She might shut down, she might escalate, she might commit suicide, Kyubey might contract with her. Hard to say.

Oh, Jesús, Maria y José.

You are not wrong that, crazy as Sophia is, Emma is worse in just about every regard. And not by a little bit.

She took Sophia's "predator stronk" ideas, ran with them, and then used those to plaster over the cracks her trauma left behind. She looks fine on the surface, crazy if you dig a little deeper, but under that is someone who is a ticking time-bomb, held together by the thinnest and faintest of delusions, teetering on the brink of complete collapse.

It says something that it's not a question of if she will snap when confronted, but how.

What's the meaning of life?

Something about driving ones enemies before them, I think.

What would be the consequences of Taylor making a Wish like Oriko Mikuni's (that granted the light blonde haired one precognition)... or worse, making one in the style of Kirika's?

A precog Taylor would be an interesting thing to write, considering what Oriko was capable of doing (before Homura made murdering her in her sleep Step One in every subsequent loop). Although I'd have to be careful not to go through the same sort of route others tend to put Taylor on when they give her a similarly broken/exploitable power.

Taylor making a wish along the lines of Kirika, on the other hand... oh boy.

(before Homura made murdering her in her sleep Step One in every subsequent loop).

So, A little point about this, first, the timeline we see in Oriko Magica isn't Oriko's normal M.O, she actually mostly fight Waluiginight before Homura does when she contract, second, Homura probably never actually killed her outside this one "timeline" which is because of three, there are some implications that the entirety of the first oriko manga is a vision that she got when wishing and her reaction was "nope, not doing this" so it actually never happened.

So, A little point about this, first, the timeline we see in Oriko Magica isn't Oriko's normal M.O, she actually mostly fight Waluiginight before Homura does when she contract, second, Homura probably never actually killed her outside this one "timeline" which is because of three, there are some implications that the entirety of the first oriko manga is a vision that she got when wishing and her reaction was "nope, not doing this" so it actually never happened.

I'll... have to re-read Oriko Magica, because I don't quite remember that being the case. I do remember somewhere that Oriko and Kirika contracting happens rarely in timelines, and that she tends to see Walpurgisnacht arriving rather than Kriemhild Gretchen.

So, a quick Wish-and-Witch for Incubator? It granted Wishes to even less stables individuals in the past, including a death-obsessed artist.

I mean, it granted one to Rachel :V.

It is an inspiration isn't it?

THe world shudders at the terror inherent to that wish.

I mean, it granted one to Rachel :V.

That proved to be more resilient and adaptable that what I suspect it had projected.

For all its logic and Clarktech it has access to, the Incubator Hivemind seems to never 'get' how some humans can overcome the no-win scenario that is the Puella System (see Homura Akemi).

I'll... have to re-read Oriko Magica, because I don't quite remember that being the case. I do remember somewhere that Oriko and Kirika contracting happens rarely in timelines, and that she tends to see Walpurgisnacht arriving rather than Kriemhild Gretchen.

From what I remember the part I am absolutely sure about (that she mostly see walmartnight and don't interact with mado and co) is in one of the other volume after the first, though I don't remember which, for the fact about the first volume being a vision, you'd have to ask the guys in pmas, that's where I remember seing it and it is speculation. In all cases, the fact that Homura did NOT begin killing Oriko as a matter of fact is simply shown by the existence of the other timelines where she's active and well that we see in the other volumes.

That proved to be more resilient and adaptable that what I suspect it had projected.

For all its logic and Clarktech it has access to, the Incubator Hivemind seems to never 'get' how some humans can overcome the no-win scenario that is the Puella System (see Homura Akemi).

I've long maintained that QB is less a cosmic mastermind and more a Sufficiently Advanced Middle Manager who is so completely focused on getting its numbers up it hasn't noticed that the warehouse is overflowing, the truck drivers are on strike, and the company is day from going out of business, because as far as it knows, the numbers are all in the green, the quotas are being exceeded, and everything else is Not My Problem.

You've mentioned this before and I still want to see it, because it sounds amazingly fun to see in action.

Oh, yes. Although the flavour of fun depends on who is providing the tour.

For instance, Rachel + Glory Girl ("... Well, this is awkward.") or Rachel + Shadow Stalker ("Hey, wanna go on a real hunt~?"). Or Missy taking Gallant (Hehasagirlfriendhehasagirlfriendhehasagirlfriendhehasagirlfriendhehasagirlfriendhehasagirlfriend) or Vicky.

Or Sarah taking literally anyone with her, since... well...

"Welcome to Sarah Hazen's Witch Tours~! Sarah's Witch Tours may result in nausea, headaches, insanity, psychosis, desire to never take drugs ever again, loss of appetite, loss of limbs, loss of immortal soul, loss of favorite hobby, and other mild side-effects. Please consult your doctor before going on a Tour."

"Wait, what did you-"

"Have fuuuuuuun~!"

Cue the Wards discovering that the gangers they punch in the face barely rate a 'meh' on a Puella Magi's scale?

With, naturally, the implications thereof :V.

From what I remember the part I am absolutely sure about (that she mostly see walmartnight and don't interact with mado and co) is in one of the other volume after the first, though I don't remember which, for the fact about the first volume being a vision, you'd have to ask the guys in pmas, that's where I remember seing it and it is speculation. In all cases, the fact that Homura did NOT begin killing Oriko as a matter of fact is simply shown by the existence of the other timelines where she's active and well that we see in the other volumes.

I'll give it a look when I've got the time for it.

In other news, currently planning the next big chunk of the story (new writing tools yaaaaaaaaaay), so it might be a bit before I post the next chapter. On the upside, I'm much less likely to lose steam/get lost in my own plot/run out of ideas on what to do next.

In the meantime, I'm open to all speculah :V.

In which Rachel has a significant emotional event, Madison wonders why she's here, and Sarah takes Taylor out to dinner.
(AN: I apologize for the probably-incorrect German. Anyone surprised about NeoNazis saying NeoNazi things ought to have known better.)
==========
Gestalt
==========
[X] You could sit your pretty ass down and think about what just happened. Holy shit, what was that?

You sit down.

Well, you step away from the bed you laid Taylor on, close the —ratty, filthy— privacy curtain, find a chair, and then sit down, but those are somewhat unnecessary details. Hands on your lap. Eyes forward.

The idea of what you just did slowly starts to sink in. You just threatened a Ward's friends. With outright murder.

"Ffffffffffffffffffffff-!," you hiss, leaning back. Do not tear out your hair. "Scheiße, scheiße, scheiße, scheiße!"

Do not hit yourself.

"Scheiße!" You put your hands on your temples and squeeze. "Du verdammter Idiot! Dummkopf! Besserwisser! Volltrottel! Mist! Warum zum Teufel hast du das getan?!"

Stop it.

You bend forward, muffling your voice between your knees. "RRRRRRRGH!"

Okay, you've had your tantrum. Deep breaths. Back straight. Straighten out your hair. Think.

Well… You just went so far over the line as far as bully bullshit is concerned that you're somewhere past the moon. You could've just threatened to expose The Trio to the administration; even Winslow would have to do something if you came with evidence.

Except Taylor tried that already. Multiple times. Didn't work, and even got her pegged as a "troublemaker" for wasting their time. When Taylor told you that, you entertained the plan to indulge in some vandalism next time you hunted here.

Still, there are steps between "I'll tell on you" and "Murder"! You didn't go for the Nuclear Option; you whipped out the Big Red Button, put your hand on top, and dared Shadow Stalker to give you an excuse!

But isn't that the entire point of a "Nuclear Option"? Show everyone where your lines in the sand lie, and the consequences of crossing them. You didn't threaten anyone with anything; you gave Shadow Stalker fair warning of what the consequences would be if they kept upping the ante like they're doing. Or are you seriously gonna tell yourself that you wouldn't kill all three of them if they hurt Taylor?

Maybe that would make sense if Shadow Stalker were a Magical Girl, and this was Magical Girl business, not her fucking bullying habit!

She's a Ward. What's the difference? Superpowers are superpowers.

Actually, there is a difference there, but go on.

Regardless; how much of the school letting her get away with her bullshit is incompetence, and how much of it is because the school is unwilling to take action against a "Hero"? Either way, mundane consequences are out of the question. It's only fair that you let her know that you're willing to enforce magical ones.

Speaking of magic; what the hell was that little lightshow you gave her, huh? And, speaking of which, what if she decides to call for backup? Or out you to the PRT? Do you want to disappear?!

She already knows you're something else. And as for the PRT…

Sigh. Shadow Stalker believes helping is weakness, and asking for help is pathetic. Asking the PRT for help against you in any way would be personally humiliating to her. You've gone over this already. Twice.

You lean back, against the backrest, and the wall behind. The thumb of your right hands rubs the ring you wear —your Soul Gem.

… You really hate arguing with yourself. It makes your Gem hurt.

So… now what?

You-

-do not want to hear from the committee, thank you very much. You'd rather forget it exists.

Deep breaths. Think, Rachel. What are the positives here?

… Well, one would be that even Shadow Stalker, crazy bitch that she is, is gonna think twice before agreeing to any plan to escalate the bullying campaign, same as the other two, if and when they get told. On the other hand, if they decide to go to the school admin…

Your hands brush against the pockets of your jacket, feeling the outline of your smartphone.

… well, you're hoping that Winslow High's indifference cuts both ways. But, just in case-

"… Hello?"

… hold that thought.

You stand, brushing yourself off and straightening a few stray strands of your hair. You walk over, and pull the —ratty, filthy— curtain aside.

Taylor is blinks owlishly. She feels around, finds her glasses where you'd put them. Slips them on, and stares around at her surroundings. Her eyes find yours and stay there

"… Rachel?"

"You dozed off," you tell her, stepping to the bedside, and then hopping up to sit next to where she's laid. "Brought you to the Nurse's office, but she's…"

You gesture vaguely. "Well, she's somewhere, but it ain't here."

Taylor makes an interesting face. "You carried me here."

"Yeah, obviously."

Her face goes from pale to a rather fascinating shade of pink. "Oh. Yeah. Obviously. Yes." She coughs. "Did… Anything happen while I was out?"

… Oh boy.

"YOU DID WHAT!?"

"Okay, so hear me ou- Ow! Hey, let me- Ow! Taylor if you could- Ow! TAYLOR!"

"She said what?"

Madison remembers when Emma and Sophia approached her. It had been after the first week of school, after Emma had had a bit of time to show that she meant business. It might've even been this hallway.

Madison prided herself in knowing all sorts of people —her mom always beamed whenever she told someone that her daughter could make friends with anyone—, but, more secretly, Madison also prided herself in being someone who knew where the wind blew before anyone else did. So she understood that when Emma had smiled, and asked if she could be their friend, that she wasn't in a position to say "No, thank you". It was either join, or be the first one thrown under the bus when someone else came to take her place.

That was just the way things worked for people like her; you either got out of the way, you got run over, or you climbed aboard. Plus, she'd thought, Taylor looks like someone fun to tease.

Sophia's expression was unreadable. "She said she'd kill us, if we start saying that the scarecrow's doing drugs." A pause. "She also said we can do whatever we want to her, but the moment we start doing anything serious, she'll also kill us."

Well, things don't look so fun now, huh?

"She's bluffing," Emma shot back. She sounded like she wanted to believe it.

"She's not," Sophia told her. It was almost gentle, the way she said it. Emma still looked as if she'd been slapped.

"I…" Madison swallowed. Her throat was dry as dust. "I asked around, you know, after Randall…"

Got his ass handed to him by someone who weighs 50 pounds soaking wet. And then he tried to shoot her…

"…well, after that happened. The ABB guys don't know anything about her, but… But the moment you mention 'Zoranski' to the Empire guys, they all clam up."

Madison wilted under the sudden glares from her "friends". "And you didn't tell us this because…?" Emma hissed.

"I did," Madison shot back, "I told you, 'Hey, I think she might have something to do with the Nazis. Maybe we can dig up some dirt on her?'."

"Which went nowhere," Sophia growled, "Bitch won't even look at the fucks. Goes straight home after school, too."

"And nobody's gonna believe anything we say after that show of hers," Emma concluded. Without anything other than their word, there wasn't much that Blackwell could really do.

Still, they'd held on to the possibility that this would get Rachel in trouble; she'd get pissed off, because if there was something that could piss Rachel off, it was making her do something she didn't want to do. And then she'd say something that could be taken the wrong way —or, even better, let something slip—, they'd spread it around, Blackwell would use it to kick her out, and Taylor would be tainted by association.

Except none of that had happened, and they'd had to suffer through fifteen minutes of Rachel pontificating about all the ways the Nazis were both evil and stupid, with the sort of smile that spoke of how much she was enjoying every minute of it.

Emma seethed at the reminder.

…For a moment. A sort of focus entered her features.

"No," she decided. "No. I'm not gonna let her tell me what I can or can't do. Who does she think she is? I won't-"

Emma stopped abruptly. Breathed.

"I'm stronger." A pause. "We're stronger. We're better than those two freaks. They don't get to dictate terms." Her fists were clenched hard enough her fingernails dug into her palms. "That won't happen. That can't happen. It's not gonna happen."

Abruptly, her focus switched to Madison. "Find out what they're doing," she commanded, which was really code for "Me and Sophia are gonna talk about something, and we don't want you around".

Madison knew better than to call them out on this, as much as it rankled her to be excluded and kept away from things. So she said, "Okay, I'll give you a text if I find something.", and left. She didn't know where Taylor and Rachel were —the infirmary?— and she wasn't in a hurry to find out.

Zoranski.

Just like how Emma and Sophia kept things from her, Madison kept things from them. The Nazis had reacted to Zoranski.

Who else had that surname?

"I thought we kept you around to provide security."

You smile.

"And, as I've told you, it is against company policy to discuss the security of my clients on an unsecured line. Even with our presumed clients. If you have a personal project which requires our services, you can either inform your employer —assuming they are our clients— that you require additional security measures."

The man on the phone thinks himself a wolf. That's the least outlandish of his delusions.

"Company policy my ass; I think you're just scared."

For instance, he thinks he's clever. And he also thinks that you wouldn't know that he's been telling everyone who would listen that security would be better handled by him, thus making this "request" for additional protection a thinly-veiled attempt to get into a dick-measuring contest with your operators.

Although, even if you didn't know, you'd turn him down on principle. For one, the last thing you'd want to do is to have your well-equipped, professionally-trained, expensive operators waste their time providing security to dog fights.

For another, you like dogs.

"That's your opinion. If, however, you want to contract our services separately, I'm certainly open to negotiate, although I must warn you that our fees can be quite… expensive."

"Fucking kike…"

You squeeze the handset hard enough for it to creak.

"I remind you that, as a private security company, we monitor all incoming unsecured calls. Language like that can have very real consequences in this climate, Mister Meadows."

The silence from the headset is audible. You smile.

"… Fuck you."

You pull the phone away from your ear, and you can still hear the sound of the other end being thrown into a wall. Carefully, you set the handset back into its cradle on your desk, and let yourself hold onto the sensation of victory for a moment.

… Before the unfortunate reality asserts itself again. Lean back on the high-backed, pleather-skinned office chair. Sigh.

"Sheiße."

As loathsome as Hookwolf is, the unfortunate fact is that he is a cape and you're… not. Oh, the un-powered members of the Empire Eighty Eight know better than to disrespect your name where you can hear it —which is everywhere— but as far as the so-called parahumans are concerned, you're just the Chief Henchwoman, and so they can get away with things that would've resulted in a bullet through their skulls otherwise.

So, nevermind that you do more to keep the Empire running on a Sunday than Hookwolf has done all his life. Nevermind that he's a stupid, anglo-descended brute who wouldn't know racial theory or National Socialism if it hit him in the face, or that he's the sort of deplorable who thinks forcing dogs to fight to the death is amusing. And nevermind that you know where they all live.

Close your eyes. Breathe. In. Out. Just like you taught your Sunflower. Your Rachel.

(She might be born from your soft-headed brother and his simpering wife, but she's all you.)

You have to head this off. Kaiser, for all his faults —which are many—, is a pragmatic man. The Empire as it stands needs Hookwolf, but it also needs your operatives securing their safe-houses, your agents gathering information… and your money, every so often. And that gives you enough leverage to, every so often, get a few words in.

You pick up the other phone, and dial the number. You wait, and think of fire. Of gunsmoke and poison gas. Of steel and blood. Of the day you'll no longer need to suffer the indignity of treating subhuman filth like Hookwolf as your equals.

And you smile.

"Hello? Mr. Anders? It's me, Evangeline. There's something quite urgent that I'd like to discuss with you…"

You are Taylor Hebert, and you've befriended a lunatic.

You took a… Okay. You fell asleep for what felt like a second, and the next thing you know, Rachel got into another confrontation with Sophia (you know, the Cape?).

Except this time, it ended with her threatening to murder the trio if they didn't back off. You know. To Sophia. THE CAPE.

(Rachel tried to explain why she did that. Or justify it. You weren't in the mood to listen.)

What was left of lunch was spent yelling at each other, until the nurse emerged from wherever she'd gone and kicked the two of you out. Then you yelled at each other over telepathy until Sarah complained about it.

And after that… nothing. Silence. It's not until you're out the doors, backpack slung from your shoulders, trudging down the sidewalk, that the thought enters your head.

Did you just lose Rachel?

There's an impulse to turn around. Find Rachel. Say you're sorry. Say whatever it takes for her to not leave. You can't lose her. You can't.

You shove the impulse away. What Rachel did was so absurdly, comically wrong that you doubt you could force yourself to say otherwise. And she wouldn't abandon you. It's not something she'd do.

What makes you so sure? You never thought Emma betray you, and look where you are now.

(What did you do wrong? What did you do wrong?)

"'Sup!"

The voice jolts you from your introspection. You're standing at a street corner, as if waiting for the walk signal to turn green. Except you've been standing there for long enough that the few people out are giving you looks.

Ignore them. Turn. Leaning against a building wall is the last… well, second-last person you want to see right now. An inch or two shorter than you, brunette hair brushing her shoulders. Fair skinned, with green eyes, and a smile that seemed to be permanent.

"Sarah," you say, in a tone of voice meant to tell someone that you are not in the mood for shenanigans.

Sarah gleefully ignores it.

"So," she says, pushing off the wall and moseying over, "since your girlfriend and you are having a fight, how about you and me have a chat, hm?"

«The Clinic?» she offers over telepathy. «My treat!»

[-] "Sarah."

[-] "Sarah…"

[-] "Sarah!"

[-] "Sarah!"

Sarah hasn't done anything in particular to endear herself to you —to the point that you suspect that she's making a point of it. In fact, she hasn't sought you out at all. Until now. What does she want?

[-] You are not in the mood to deal with whatever game she wants to play with you. Fuck this.
[-] ... Fine. What does she want?

Last edited:
[X] "Sarah…"

[X] ... Fine. What does she want?

I'm assuming this is meant to convey resigned exasperation or something similar. Though I could be off. It's hard to get tone without hearing it spoken.

Last edited:
[X] "Sarah!"

And here we have yet more proof that, while not an actual meguca, Taylor is very much a meguca in spirit with the suffering she must endure. Just look at how things have gone from bad to worse in just the span of a day and a half at most.

First she gets an oh so luxurious tour through a Witch's lair that can best be summed up as a mix of hell and a night club filtered through dubstep and a nasty seizure, then she gets to witness the pleasant sight of Rachel with a fucking hole in her torso, then her one friendship experiences a bit of a fracture because Rachel the mistress of restraint saw fit to offer the local cunt cape an all expenses paid trip to the fucking morgue, and to trump all that prior bad shit, the local honorary cryptid is now offering her drinks.

I look forward to seeing more lmao

The Future
I'm assuming this is meant to convey resigned exasperation or something similar. Though I could be off. It's hard to get tone without hearing it spoken.

"Resigned exasperation" tends to crop up whenever this person is around, so that's a good choice :V

And here we have yet more proof that, while not an actual meguca, Taylor is very much a meguca in spirit with the suffering she must endure. Just look at how things have gone from bad to worse in just the span of a day and a half at most.

I mean, it could always be worse.

She could've run into any of the other super-powered psychopaths on her way home.

Go for the 'apparently scandalized'.

"SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!"

"Oh, she's not. But would you want her to be~?"

*Flustered TayTay noises.*

And... huh....

I'm gonna be honest, I'm... er. I was hoping for more comments than this.

... there's something I think I need to discuss here. Namely, the future of this fic.

Gestalt is the first thing I've written where I've fullt planned out what will happen in advance ---in fact, the gap between the last update and this one was happened because I wanted to write down an outline for what would happen in the future.

I've also toyed with the idea of setting up a tip jar; there's been a link to a ko-fi I've set up in my sig over on SB since a while now, although the PayPal account it's linked to was borked until last week. I'm not gonna stop writing if I never get anything from it, but some income would definitely motivate me to write more.

(Plus, my laptop is getting long in the tooth.)

... which leads me to the interest I'm seeing. Or, rather, the lack of it.

Gestalt never really... performed well, as far as causing discussion goes. Not so much here, but the thread on SB is incredibly barren. I'm not sure if the second person narration or the faux-quest structure was alienating, or if it was the setting, or the characters. Or maybe something about my writing style is the problem.

(And yes, I know likes are a thing. That's not the point.)

But, still, people like Gestalt. There's some discussion going on, and I even got fanart! So K soldiered on; introducing more characters, laying down threads for the readers to spot. This last chapter took so long partly because, now that I'm planning things, I decided to make it significantly longer; several POVs, a few revelations and foreshadowing...

... and, well. Yeah.

At this point I'm honestly wondering if I did something wrong. And while I do want to keep writing... a story which nobody has anything to say about is just about the worst thing a writer can make.

Last edited:
I've just been watching silently.

Actually, I've been meaning to reread. I lost what was going on a little bit, so my plan was to go back to the beginning and catch up- it's not happening immediately only because I have like 30 tabs of fanfiction open. I'll get around to it.

At this point I'm honestly wondering if I did something wrong. And while I do want to keep writing... a story which nobody has anything to say about is just about the worst thing a writer can make.
It was fine writing and I enjoyed reading it, but yeah, I don't really have any significant comments about it. I noticed that the fact that it's a PMMM crossover doesn't really seem relevant right now- replace Rachel with some generic Worm OC with a shard power that wants to care for Taylor, and the last two chapters only need a few details changed to fit.

I feel like the story is lacking in big narrative stakes that aren't shared between half the Worm fanfics out there. Sure Rachel might die at any time, but I don't really feel that and that's true in most Worm fics. It's also in the personal side: Rachel cares about so few people and things, even this current argument feels like it came from both sides caring for each other so it'll all be sunshine and roses once they talk to each other a bit more. Like there's no overarching conflict driving the story, it's just characters interacting.

Evangeline's segment was full of ominous foreshadowing, but little actual direct information. Overall the fic feels like it's moving slowly- which is good for a character exploration piece, but combine that with a moderately slow update rate and it means I've forgotten a bunch of details by the time I read the part the foreshadowing was leading up to which defeats the entire purpose. Perhaps if I were to do a full re-read it'd work out better, but since I haven't done one that's a problem.

Overall, it's just a bunch of little things that are making the story feel like it's going nowhere and not very fast at that. I can tell there's important developments happening, but none of them feel like it. Sorry I can't be more helpful here. I hope you continue writing as I do enjoy reading it and I suspect that a full re-read would resolve most of my issues with it.

I hope you don't take my lack of comments as lack of interest. I'm usually not very active in the threads, even those I'm particularly absorbed in. I just let others who can articulate better than me comment and then drop a like. That being said, this is one of the threads I check often for updates and I do hope you'll continue writing.

"Resigned exasperation" tends to crop up whenever this person is around, so that's a good choice :V

I mean, it could always be worse.

She could've run into any of the other super-powered psychopaths on her way home.

"SHE'S NOT MY GIRLFRIEND!"

"Oh, she's not. But would you want her to be~?"

*Flustered TayTay noises.*

And... huh....

I'm gonna be honest, I'm... er. I was hoping for more comments than this.

... there's something I think I need to discuss here. Namely, the future of this fic.

Gestalt is the first thing I've written where I've fullt planned out what will happen in advance ---in fact, the gap between the last update and this one was happened because I wanted to write down an outline for what would happen in the future.

I've also toyed with the idea of setting up a tip jar; there's been a link to a ko-fi I've set up in my sig over on SB since a while now, although the PayPal account it's linked to was borked until last week. I'm not gonna stop writing if I never get anything from it, but some income would definitely motivate me to write more.

(Plus, my laptop is getting long in the tooth.)

... which leads me to the interest I'm seeing. Or, rather, the lack of it.

Gestalt never really... performed well, as far as causing discussion goes. Not so much here, but the thread on SB is incredibly barren. I'm not sure if the second person narration or the faux-quest structure was alienating, or if it was the setting, or the characters. Or maybe something about my writing style is the problem.

(And yes, I know likes are a thing. That's not the point.)

But, still, people like Gestalt. There's some discussion going on, and I even got fanart! So K soldiered on; introducing more characters, laying down threads for the readers to spot. This last chapter took so long partly because, now that I'm planning things, I decided to make it significantly longer; several POVs, a few revelations and foreshadowing...

... and, well. Yeah.

I'm not particularly engaged with this story right now.

There's little actual fighting or conflict in the story. There is a fair amount of posturing and threatening exchanges, but the only actual fights were the generic witch fight and generic ABB Winslow schoolyard fight.

The biggest problem is a lack of plot and narrative depth. The story uses a lot of familiar emotional key points that appeal to a broad audience; The gay Taylor-OC Romance Arc, standing up to the Trio, Rachel not caring about being targeted by ABB thugs, Rachel's dark backstory, so on, but not much in the way of actual, intriguing plot.

That's perfectly fine, but it doesn't provoke much discussion other than "OH YEAH" and "GO RACHEL, KICK THEIR ASSES!".

For me, the romance is more annoying than compelling, and consists largely of implicit tells like Taylor blushing, or Rachel narrating to herself while performing big showy actions to highlight how much she cares about Taylor.

Why does she like Taylor? Is it something to do with her guilt complex? Is it because she reminds her of the boy she bullied into committing suicide? Does Rachel find Taylor physically attractive?

The subtext that I'm getting here is that by defending Taylor from her bullies here and now, Rachel feels good about herself and receives validation, which she needs in order to deal with the guilt from torturing someone into killing himself.

I'm not into that. It's some weird kind of tropey white-knight teenage high-school savior romance based on an appeal to wish-fulfillment with a dash of horrible trauma added and general grossness. It kinda reminds me of Slippery Slope by Ack, but with less unintentional Nazi propaganda.

The writing relies a lot on cliche tropes and big emotional appeals, and plenty of people like those, but it's not very engaging for me personally.

There's going to be some sort of big throwdown with the Empire and ABB with Evangeline involved, but that's ground that's been tread over in Wormfic pretty thoroughly.

I definitely agree with @notgreat about the crossover elements not really playing into the story either. We had a brief interlude or maybe an Omake with the canon characters in Brockton Bay, a Magical Girl bazaar, and a Witch hunt, but not much else.

If I had to guess? Taylor not being the only point of view right from the beginning, this is something that I find annoying at this point, but most worm fics that don't have Taylor as the main or only protagonist, even when it's a TINO who is so *in name only* the story would be better off with an OC (And good god is it annoying when it happens), tends to have way less comments for some reason.

It is also a sort of slice of life story, at least compared to the insane rhythm of quite a lot of fics, and some worm fans tends to reclaim *mah escalation* constantly, I have no problem with it, but some people will scoff if you so much as take time to introduce your plot points and characters, or worse, make your romance realistic by not having the two instantly know they're in love and ask each other if they want to date because the other is their chosen one, excuse me for a moment, *vomits*, I do prefer romance grown organically and absolutely hate pairing so it's not a problem for me.

Back