What should your focus for the rest of the Quest be?

• Total voters
I remain shocked that somehow people value accurate Scouting and automation that improves every facet of our entire polity less than fucking Autoloaders. We are almost certainly not going to get Automation in the next century, the way things are going.

It's because it's literally standing between us and fully rolling out the 4th generation of our fleet, that one fucking millstone around my neck.

Yes, we can roll out the Turbo Crux without it, yes we can technically roll out the Super Scorpio, but we'll need to do another revisit before long for both of them to get full effect, when if we have it, they are done for almost all practical intents and purposes.

Last edited:
It's because it's literally standing between us and fully rolling out the 4th generation of our fleet, that one fucking millstone around my neck.

No, it isn't. Like, I bet I could build a Crux-T that is in fact incredibly fucking good. It will be less good than if it had Autoloaders, but in what fucking world is that more valuable than doubling the time for more Blazing Suns, for drawing ever closer to an STC Fragment, for being able to AUTOMATICALLY put out two of our new Destroyer Scouts every since turn without having to spend an action on it... when we are comically, massively behind schedule on the Scouting!?

Tell me, Alectai, do you really value all of those things so little?

No, it isn't. Like, I bet I could build a Crux-T that is in fact incredibly fucking good. It will be slightly less good than if it had Autoloaders, but in what fucking world is that more valuable than doubling the time for more Blazing Suns, for drawing ever closer to an STC Fragment, for being able to AUTOMATICALLY put out two of our new Destroyer Scouts every since turn without having to spend an action on it... when we are comically, massively behind schedule on the Scouting!

Tell me, Alectai, do you really value all of those things so little?

I hate it so much when you're making a good point but it goes against my OCD.

But fine.

[X] Plan: Building Up A Fleet And Lining It UP--Mx. Automatic Version

But if you rip another chance at this away from me, I will not be so nice next time

I hate it so much when you're making a good point but it goes against my OCD.

But fine.

But if you rip another chance at this away from me, I will not be so nice next time

Then in good conscience, I ask you to return your vote to the Gun version.

Not because I do not think my arguments are sound, as I have given them, but because it seems clear to me that we both value Autoloaders very differently: you higher than any other Research, me somewhere in the bottom six or seven, if certainly not at the bottom (what with, for instance, Military Servo-Skulls being cool but useless, and Weird Ships being an active if very funny trap, the STC being a clear sign that we need to further automation before we even bother with it, etc, etc.)

And so I cannot say that somehow we will find a time wherein or evaluations on this matter cross and meet in amity, not unless we've rather narrowed down the Research section considerably.

TBF given that Automation has knock on effects that change more than just giving us a destroyer per turn it wouldn't surprise me if ship equipment standardization has it's own hidden benefits that we'll only see after do it.

I find the idea of standardising ludicrously tempting. But yeah automation does seem to be a bigger priority.

It's just weird that apparently it's Voidship automation that leads to, well, automation in general.

TBF given that Automation has knock on effects that change more than just giving us a destroyer per turn it wouldn't surprise me if ship equipment standardization has it's own hidden benefits that we'll only see after do it.

Like... what?

We can see the obvious effects of Automation from a narrative perspective. Automation improves automation.

But what Standardization means is simply that a single piece of equipment is so basic and fundamental to the Fleet (in this case baffling and unnarrative as Autoloaders are for a polity whose greatest strength has always been strikecraft) that it can be easily and simply installed.

We know what waits behind Ship Equipment Standardization... the chance to do it again, but this time costing 3 AP, because each time you do so obviously it gets harder to pack more in.

Like... what?

We can see the obvious effects of Automation from a narrative perspective. Automation improves automation.

But what Standardization means is simply that a single piece of equipment is so basic and fundamental to the Fleet (in this case baffling and unnarrative as Autoloaders are for a polity whose greatest strength has always been strikecraft) that it can be easily and simply installed.

We know what waits behind Ship Equipment Standardization... the chance to do it again, but this time costing 3 AP, because each time you do so obviously it gets harder to pack more in.

I think a more obvious benefit would be "Do it again, but it costs more but you get more DP out of doing it."

Which you can split either getting more 1 DP Options or splurge on a good 2+ DP one.

I think a more obvious benefit would be "Do it again, but it costs more but you get more DP out of doing it."

Which you can split either getting more 1 DP Options or splurge on a good 2+ DP one.

All the way back at the start when we were freaking out about how good Standardization was, @HeroCooky said that doing it once would make the next time doing it cost more.

[E:...that was about when a lot of people were no longer as obsessively interested in it, tbh.]

If it was, "Oh, it'll cost 1 more AP but also give you an extra DP" that'd... not be escalating costs?

All the way back at the start when we were freaking out about how good Standardization was, @HeroCooky said that doing it once would make the next time doing it cost more.

If it was, "Oh, it'll cost 1 more AP but also give you an extra DP" that'd... not be escalating costs?

It might have changed? I don't know, I just want to get this automation debate over with.

[E:...that was about when a lot of people were no longer as obsessively interested in it, tbh.]

Well then we definitely shouldn't be getting autoloaders. We should get generic equipment that works on every kind of ship like: armour, speed, crew stuff, or ship shrines.

Last edited:
Its because you said that the system is a military focused one. So they focus on militaty stuff. :V

And they are basically the Defense Stations you fight in Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2: a station with a gun

And your write-in would basically give that system one of the BFGA2 Citadel Defense Stations.
Ah so that's how it goes and manifests. So that's what defense stations are? just the MAC stations from Halo?

And I don't know what that looks like, I tried google searching it and it didn't give me much besides the Ships of the Imperium Navy and a bunch of Playthroughs of BGA2. What is a Citadel Defense Station packing?

You can, and you'd need to look at the planets to have a clue if you can.
So we would need to make an expedition to those worlds first and then we'd get an action to help them? fair enough, I doubt we'll do that action unless we can grab some ancient tech there.

Well then we definitely shouldn't be getting autoloaders. We should get generic equipment that works on every kind of ship like: armour, speed, crew stuff, or ship shrines.

It's because very few of our ships don't benefit from it, pretty much just carriers and dedicated lance ships. It's a way to effectively buy a 2 DP value equipment for nothing, that helps roughly 80% of our fleet.

It's because very few of our ships don't benefit from it, pretty much just carriers and dedicated lance ships. It's a way to effectively buy a 2 DP value equipment for nothing, that helps roughly 80% of our fleet.

I do agree that of all of the Standardization Equipment we could get, it's one of the better options. The only thing that might even compete is Ship Shrines, which are actually standard. :p

I'll note that I've already made my clear belief at "Just carriers" being quite a lot when our entire Doctrine is, "Carriers are really cool."

I do agree that of all of the Standardization Equipment we could get, it's one of the better options. The only thing that might even compete is Ship Shrines, which are actually standard. :p

I'll note that I've already made my clear belief at "Just carriers" being quite a lot when our entire Doctrine is, "Carriers are really cool."

Carriers also don't need any help getting better, fair is fair :p Even the fucking Libra is a better carrier than an Emperor-class Battleship.

TBH mechanically autoloaders are the best but narratively shipshrines have a lot more going for them. Though I doubt it will be mentioned in the update either way what we get standardized since it's just not that interesting over all for all it enables ship wise.

A Planet Grown Anew - [Canon]
Ok, I just gotta do this one. Sorry if it gets a little technical, this is my field. I've literally been to scientific workshops on terraforming.

A Planet Grown Anew - Place the seeds, till the soils, mix the waters, and churn the growths. Turn the tables, guide the growths, burn the forests, mix the ashes. Seed the clouds, water the charred earths, relish the sunlight, chatter with the fishes. March with the insects, uplift the amoebas, downgrade the pests, and enjoy a rest. A world now living where before there was none. Another world awaits to have life donated to its dead shores.
(Focus: The Irrita terraform another planet.)
The Song-of-Growth tasted the new soil underneath their roots and vibrated in satisfaction, reveling in the fulfillment of their duties. They felt the distribution of minerals, noting a low concentration of organic acids and a high concentration of reductive salts. It was only to be expected. This planet did not have the history for a rich soil layer, even here at the equator.

That was fine. It would come, with time and growth. The sun was strong here, and the bright grasses and shrubs grew well. They had only needed the encouragement in the way that all life did. As the planet warmed, the ice in the subsurface would melt and come to the surface and allow for growth of larger plants across more of the planet. It would take a hundred years for the process to truly advance. But it was a hundred years truly

It was glorious.

There was little that could stop the process now, beyond the deployment of terrible weapons to scorch the earth itself. The atmosphere was seeded, and the greenhouse effect merely needed time. Now was a time of growth. Some years remained before enough oxygen accumulated enough for large animals, such as those who would one day come to call this planet home and build and live upon it as only a sapient species could.

But this next was their favorite of the duties that belonged to a Song-of-Growth. It was time to introduce larger animals in a proper succession, to spread the insects that would turn over the soil and digest the fallen leaves, to introduce the shellfish who would clean the water and the fish that would consume the abundance of plankton in the oceans.

Then would come the larger animals, the predators and prey to balance the ecosystems.

And to think, the Shipwright's Alliance paid the Irrita for this service. Oh yes, the early stages were expensive, the mirrors and aerosols to heat the planet, the comets to bring in the elements necessary for a stable biosphere. It had been nitrogen for this world, as was so often true. But those issues had been solved in a few cataclysmic years of change so that the process of terraforming could truly begin. Carefully chosen microbes spread far and wide to convert the toxins into substances more compatible with life. Rock-breaker lichens to create fine grains that could become soil, and the balanced communities of microbes to hold it all together. All of those things took ships, and fuel, and effort. And life.

But then the dance of life could begin once more, and that miracle was worth any process, any hardship.

Terraforming was a science, but any Song-of-Growth worthy of their sunlight also treated it as an art. This one luxuriated in the half-complete piece beneath their roots, luxuriating in the ebb and flow of a nascent ecosystem as they contemplated the dance of life that would shepherd this world into its true destiny.

Being a Song-of-Growth was a calling to most, a job to a few. But all Irrita treated the position as seriously as any of the other races treated their religion. For to the Irrita, growth was unto a religion. One that did not conflict with the worship of other gods, but every proper Irrita considered greenery and growth as good, and any effort that spread those things was worthy. Even the period of winter was agreeable, when the job was done and it was time to relax and enjoy the bounty of labor.

The tips of their tendrils wilted ever so slightly at the thought. They were of a tropical variety, and winter was not in their nature. Every winter period, when they were supposed to be contemplating their past work and reveling in its bounty, they instead spent looking forward to the future. For if their purpose was growth, what use was there in looking to the past?

This planet would be complete in as little as fifty years, and then it was time to begin looking for a new one. The Song-of-Growth did not bother to consult any resource to consider their next options. They knew every planet with a sprout of terraforming potential in the sub-sector. And most of the accessible ones, the ones in the Stellar Growth and the Shipwright's Alliance, had been terraformed or had been claimed by the groves of other Songs.

Once more, the thought was distressing. So much of the galaxy was hostile to life, burning it down and tearing out any new growth. The Stellar Grove had been pleased to make cause with the Shipwright's Alliance, for most others were not so conducive to the harmony of life. The independent nations scrounged for every advantage, and the Irrita had learned not to deal with them. The fewer pheromones secreted on the topic of the... screaming Republic of Asharru the better.

The Song-of-Growth considered the new frontiers, those with the Mashan and the Glimmering Federation. Both were good partners, but far from the Stellar Growth. Maybe that was time to change. Both had welcomed Irrita traders, though the Glimmerling Federation had been friendlier. The far-smells had described a vibrant people, obsessed with making things better. Their religion was built around the promise that life would improve, that more could be had. It appealed to many Irrita, and the Song-of-Growth considered.

Should they begin the process for a formal terraforming mission to Federation space? Many would consider it folly. It had taken hundreds of years of contact and ultimately support demanded by desperation before the Shipwright's Federation had allowed the Irrita such permission. The Federation would need to permit the Irrita the shift the orbits of comets in their systems, to carry out heavy industrial projects and spread biologicals over their worlds, a heavy request for any government. But It was possible. But it was more likely with the Federation than the cautious-Mashan.

Beyond, would the Federation further allow the ever-increasing number of Irrita crossing their borders to swell yet further? So many in this galaxy hated the other, the 'xeno'. Even the Shipwright's Alliance had denied the Irrita all requests to join them and help all grow and flourish. But the Federation did live with several species already. They may prove more fertile soil than any other.

The upper leaves of the Song-of-Growth trembled. This path was a risk, one born of hope, but a risk nonetheless. Many would call the idea foolish, pheromone patience and calm to allow the relationship between the Stellar Growth and the Glimmering Federation to expand. They would call the Song-of-Growth a weed, to try to grow where they were not wanted.

But the Song-of-Growth wanted to grow and to help others grow. The place to do that seemed to be the Glimmering Federation.

Standarised autoloaders only apply to ships designed in the turn after they get researched doing both autoloaders and new ship designs is not a optimal order of taking actions

Back