Should the world be a Low Fantasy setting?

• Yes

Votes: 63 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, the matter @Kiba brought up about syncreticsim brought to mind another matter to me. I think it's easy to confuse sending Missionaries as sending people into a culture that has a pre-existing religion that's fundamentally opposed to our own, but that's not what's happening here.

I consider both faiths to be sort of proto-religions. After all, we only recently fully defined our pantheon. So the goal, both in character and out, is not to "convert them to the Arthrynite Religion" but to "show them Arthryn's teachings".

There's no need for it to be complicated.

But, @Oshha, maybe you can shed some light on this? How fully formed are the two faiths and how compatible are they?

We should be careful starting with diplomacy and not assume anything when it come to these interactions.

I don't think it's much of a assumption, but I do want to hear from Oshha on this matter.

Here's the thing. I don't have anything against the principle of merging pantheons or changing the gods. I think it's annoying and don't really care about it, yes, but I am not in opposition.

But the worst thing for your goal is to screw the pooch by doing something we assume would work, but won't. Stop thinking that everything will go your way.

Only in real time, in game time we have had a fully developed religion for around a century.

Our pantheon kept getting new deities organically due to it not being finalized. It was only after the religious reforms that it became a proper (as I call it) proto-religion. Until that point it hadn't been fully developed.

But, @Oshha, maybe you can shed some light on this? How fully formed are the two faiths and how compatible are they?

Both the Arthrynite religion and the Urthrynite religion are fully formed religion as they are organised religions with all of their slots filled out. The proto-religion stage is what you have passed by now when they got reformed into proper organised religions.

As for compatibility, they are quite compatible with each other, mainly due to Urthryn working with Wyrn to deliberately make her religion acceptable for Arthryn. Both of them value freedom through the Arthrynites focus more on equality and free treatment while the Urthrynites focus more on working to fulfil your desires. They also both value a form of "greater good", which is the community for the Arthrynites and the religion dogma (and the priesthood (which are the Daughters of Urthryn)). They also have focus on understanding, but for the Urthrynites, they focus on studying magic and understanding the supernatural while the Arthrynites focus on understanding other people, their cultures and their beliefs.

Both the Arthrynite religion and the Urthrynite religion are fully formed religion as they are organised religions with all of their slots filled out. The proto-religion stage is what you have passed by now when they got reformed into proper organised religions.

As for compatibility, they are quite compatible with each other, mainly due to Urthryn working with Wyrn to deliberately make her religion acceptable for Arthryn. Both of them value freedom through the Arthrynites focus more on equality and free treatment while the Urthrynites focus more on working to fulfil your desires. They also both value a form of "greater good", which is the community for the Arthrynites and the religion dogma (and the priesthood (which are the Daughters of Urthryn)). They also have focus on understanding, but for the Urthrynites, they focus on studying magic and understanding the supernatural while the Arthrynites focus on understanding other people, their cultures and their beliefs.

Yes, I guess "proto-religion" isn't the best way to put it. Fair enough. But still, it's only been a century since it was finalized. We're talking about really early, ancient religions here. This isn't at the level of the Catholic Church where it's been around for milleniums.

Now, as for compatibility, will the Send Missionaries action be more about just teaching them Arthryn's ways or will the missionaries try to stop them from worshipping Urthryn all together and try to forcibly convert them? Do we need to do a Diplomacy action first?

Now, as for compatibility, will the Send Missionaries action be more about just teaching them Arthryn's ways or will the missionaries try to stop them from worshipping Urthryn all together and try to forcibly convert them? Do we need to do a Diplomacy action first?

Due to compatibility, it will probably be getting them to worship Arthryn and her Daughters alongside Urthryn, but it would be best to couple missionary actions with diplomatic actions if you want to try and minimise any fallout.

[X] [MAIN] Train Sacred Warriors
[X] [MAIN] Train Sacred Warriors
[X] [SEC] Plant Sacred Forests

If you want to train sacred warriors twice you need to format your vote like this

[] [MAIN] Train Sacred Warriors x2
[] [SEC] Plant Sacred Forests

Otherwise your second train vote will replace your first train vote and will only be counted once.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in the discord earlier, but outside of a few exception circumstances, lowering legitimacy and stability will be bad even if you have high legitimacy and stability. As a result, there will not be any reliable way to safely lower stability or legitimacy.

[X][MAIN] Grand Library
[X][MAIN] Train Sacred Warriors
[X] [SEC] Venerate the Goddesses

Veneration still isn't an amazing action for generating temp. culture, but it's okay.

EDIT: Also the provinces will probably try to build at least one temple. They usually don't just build roads.

Last edited:
[X] [SEC] Plant Sacred Forests
[X] [SEC] Study Magic
[X] [MAIN] Plant Sacred Forests
[X] [MAIN] Grand Library

I would greatly prefer to combine a secondary Study Magic with a secondary Sacred Forests... But I'd prefer a Main Sacred Forests to more warriors right now. I'd also love to do some diplomacy but... That's not happening this turn.

Vote is still open.
Vote Tally : Chronicles of Nations - Civ Quest - Original | Page 494 | Sufficient Velocity [Posts: 12342-12436]
##### NetTally 1.9.7
Task: MAIN
[X][MAIN] Grand Library
No. of Votes: 31
No. of Votes: 12
[X][MAIN] Plant Sacred Forests
No. of Votes: 12
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Greenbay
No. of Votes: 1
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = North Coast Plains
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Upriver Plains
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Northern Green River
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Southern Green River
[X][MAIN] Settle Land = Rockbay
[X][MAIN] Settle Land = Sunrise Bay
[X][MAIN] Found Colony = Eastern Lowlands
[X][MAIN] Found Colony = Central Lowlands
[X][MAIN] Plant Sacred Forests x2

——————————————————————————————————————————————Task: SEC
[X][SEC] Venerate the Goddesses
No. of Votes: 30
[X][SEC] Plant Sacred Forests
No. of Votes: 10
[X][SEC] Diplomatic Expedition = (Forluc)
No. of Votes: 6
[X][SEC] Study Magic
No. of Votes: 5
[X][SEC] Build Roads = Rockbay
[X][SEC] Build Roads = Sunrise Bay
[X][SEC] Build Roads = Sunrise Plains
[X][SEC] Switch Province Policy = Expansion
Total No. of Voters: 35

[X] [MAIN] Grand Library

[X] [MAIN] Grand Library

Sacred Forests will eventually be an Infrastructure action, so it's an Administration action. That combos well with our Excellent Admin cadlon, and she's female too so that's another bonus since it's a peaceful action.

Last edited:
Vote is still open.
Vote Tally : Chronicles of Nations - Civ Quest - Original | Page 494 | Sufficient Velocity [Posts: 12342-12441]
##### NetTally 1.9.7
Task: MAIN
[X][MAIN] Grand Library
No. of Votes: 34
[X][MAIN] Plant Sacred Forests
No. of Votes: 15
No. of Votes: 13
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Greenbay
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = North Coast Plains
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Upriver Plains
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Northern Green River
[X][MAIN] Build Roads = Southern Green River
[X][MAIN] Settle Land = Rockbay
[X][MAIN] Settle Land = Sunrise Bay
[X][MAIN] Found Colony = Eastern Lowlands
[X][MAIN] Found Colony = Central Lowlands
[X][MAIN] Plant Sacred Forests x2
[X][MAIN] Train Sacred Warriors x2

——————————————————————————————————————————————Task: SEC
[X][SEC] Venerate the Goddesses
No. of Votes: 32
[X][SEC] Plant Sacred Forests
No. of Votes: 9
[X][SEC] Study Magic
No. of Votes: 6
[X][SEC] Diplomatic Expedition = (Forluc)
No. of Votes: 5
[X][SEC] Build Roads = Rockbay
[X][SEC] Build Roads = Sunrise Bay
[X][SEC] Build Roads = Sunrise Plains
[X][SEC] Switch Province Policy = Expansion
Total No. of Voters: 38

Gwyn & Powyl: Arthwyd Crime Solvers
Gwyn & Powyl: Arthwyd Crime Solvers
"Any clues on where to go?" asks Gwynlyn as the young priestess looks at her home village as she and Powyl walk back to it.

"Some," answers Powyl, the veteran Cateye accompanying her, "I can use the magic of the All-Seeress to locate the stolen jewellery. Not perfectly, but enough to get the general area and once we are within that area, I can use more spells for greater accuracy."

"Excellent," says Gwynlyn as she grins at the good news before frowning.

At a glance, the two of them are very different. Gwynlyn is a young woman in her early twenties while Powyl is a middle aged man in his seventh decade of life. Powyl is what you would expect from a Cateye with a lanky, but muscular form with practical short brown hair and sharp blue eyes, wearing light padded armour as clothing while he is armed with a sling, a knife and a pouch of lead balls.

Gwynlyn looks like the stereotype of an Arthrynite priestesses with a tall, muscular body with a figure that is generously curvy even for someone with the Blessing of Arthryn. With long wavy blonde hair and brown eyes, Gwynlyn likes to embrace her good looks as many people do, wearing a tunic that is dyed yellow and green while a gold necklace with a emerald hangs around her neck. Normally tight against her figure, her tunic currently hangs loosely around her frame as Gwynlyn has adopted a more agile form while she and Powyl hunt for perpetrator of a recent burning down of a farmhouse.

Despite their differences when it comes to their physical appearance, Gwynlyn and Porwyl have a lot of similarities when it comes to their personalities. They have a shared sense of adventure and justice in addition to being determined to get things done. While Porwyl is more upfront and direct about things and Gwynlyn is more gentle and compassionate, the two of them like to work together when it comes to enforcing the law.

"You okay kid?" inquires Powyl as he glances at Gwynlyn, noticing her frown as he picks up on her sense of disappointment.

"We got a house that is half-burnt down," answers Gwynlyn as she feels his concern for her, "Not only that, but someone has stolen some jewellery from the building as well. I was hoping for some actual adventure, but instead it is turning out like usual."

It takes some time for Powyl to reply as the two of them walk down the dirt path to the village. As they approach the wooden palisade surrounding the village, the Cateye speaks up again.

"The crime might be greater than the disagreements and fights that we usually have to deal with, but the way dealing with it is the same Gwyn," says Powyl, "We figure out what crime was committed and by whom, we hunt down those believed to be responsible and then we bring the accused to the shrine to face justice. This is no different except the crime is greater and punishment will be presumably be greater."

"That makes sense," says Gwyn as she lets out a sigh, "I just figured a bigger crime like this would take bigger effort to solve. I was hoping to hunt down some cracked criminals and have a bit of an adventure."

"Is that why you are in that form?" inquires Powyl as he eyes her body, which Gwynlyn has optimised towards strenuous physical activity.

"Yeah," confirms Gwynlyn with another sigh as she feels Powyl's amusement.

"The vigour of youth," muses Powyl as they walk through the open gates, "I was like that at your age. So eager for excitement and adventure."

"So why aren't you like that now?" asks Gwynlyn.

"I got some real excitement and adventure and after learning what it was like, I stopped wishing for such things," answers Powyl, a frown briefly appearing on his face as Gwynlyn feels a momentary spike of unhappiness and distress from the man she respects most in the world.

"I see," says Gwynlyn as even through she doesn't actually understand, she understand enough to know that she shouldn't push this subject, "Would it be okay if I got my mountains out? If we aren't going to have any excitement..."

"Go for it kid," Powyl tells her without glancing back, but Gwynlyn gives him a smile anyway and lets her satisfaction roll off her so Powyl will pick it up.

As they walk through the village, Gwynlyn shifts back to her normal physical form. While the Blessing of Arthryn isn't slow, it still takes a few minutes for Gwynlyn to go from her flat, agile form with a sleek, compact muscles to a form with slightly bulkier, but weaker muscles and a large bosom. As she is now in the physical form which her tunic was designed for, Gwynlyn's garment of clothing no longer too loose for the priestess and now snugly fits her.

While she doesn't need to change into her form, Gwynlyn finds it comforting. She isn't sure why, but she never feels as relaxed in a form suited for physical activities over a form suited for social activities. Whatever the reason, Gwynlyn prefers to be in her natural form when she can like with most men and women and not just because people expect that form from a priestess like her.

Curious about there they are going, Gwynlyn taps into the magic of the All-Seeress herself to see where Powyl is leading her. She frowns as she realises that they are heading to the other side of the village. Why would the thief take the stolen items all the way to the other side of town?

Then again, why would anyone steal something at all.

"You okay Gwyn?" asks Powyl as Gwynlyn feels his concern.

"Yes, I am just confused about why this criminal did what they did," replies Gwynlyn, "Having an argument with someone or doing something wrong in a moment of thoughtlessness or poor thought is one thing and something I can understand, but this criminal went out of their way to do something harmful and wrong. I can't think of what sort of person would do something like this."

"Most people are good folk at heart," says Powyl, "But some are just bad people. They do things like this even through they are wrong. We got less of them here in the Empire, but we still got a few. My worst experiences have been when I have encountered people like them."

"I'm not going to be happy with this, no matter how it ends am I?" mutters Gwynlyn and she feels Powyl's sympathy.

"Unfortunately, there has been the case since this scum decided to burn down a house," answers Powyl, "I am just hoping it wasn't luck that it was empty at the time and this criminal doesn't get away."

"Me too I guess," says Gwynlyn before the two of them fall into a companionable silence for the rest of their journey for there is nothing more that either one of them has to say on the subject.

Arriving on the other side of town, the two of them pause as Powyl takes a moment to end his old spell and start a more localised one. Glancing around, Gwynlyn flicks some of her hair out of her eyes as she looks around the area. It looks like any other part of the village with an organised layout of brick houses, farms and streets. Nothing out of the ordinary to say that a criminal is hiding here.

"Got it," says Powyl after a moment, snapping Gwynlyn's attention back to him.

The Cateye sets off again at a brisk pace and Gwynlyn hurries to join him. Powyl continues until he comes to a brick house, a building that is set aside as a place for travellers to call home while they remain in the village.

"This makes more sense," mutters Powyl as he glances up and down at the house.

"So it is temporary visitor?" asks Gwynlyn, "Did they expect to do the crime and then leave town before they got caught?"

"I would assume so," answers Powyl, "Most people who choose to commit crimes will travel about so they can continue to commit crimes without their criminal ways getting known by the local community until it is too late. The world is large enough that you won't run out of new places to go to in your lifetime. Most get caught in the end, but a few go get away with it until they met the goddesses and many are able to get with their misdeeds for some time prior to being brought to justice."

"We won't let this one get away," declares Gwynlyn.

"No, we will not," agrees Powyl, "Here is what we will do Gwyn. I will sneak around and see if I can covertly find the stolen items while you go in and speak to the people inside if there are any. Try and see if they were involved in the theft and arson at all."

"That is a good plan," says Gwynlyn.

Gwynlyn waits for a couple of moments as Powyl stalks off. Adjusting her tunic a bit and brushing some dirt off with her hands, Gwynlyn walks up to the house and strides through the doorway with an air of confidence. It isn't an unearned confidence as Gwynlyn is a priestess of Arthryn and her Daughters, giving her power and authority that Gwynlyn worked hard to prove herself worthy.

Inside is another Arthwydish woman, an older one that looks like she is a generation older than Gwynlyn. With brown eyes, a lean set of muscles and long luscious black hair, the woman is somewhat attractive, but Gwynlyn takes a small amount of satisfaction that she is better looking than this woman with as she is taller and has her chest is fuller, as expected of a priestess like her. She quickly pushing that feeling aside as it is unbecoming of her and unfair to the woman as a priestess like Gwynlyn should be more beautiful than a regular person.

"Can I help you?" asks the other woman as she radiates nervousness at Gwynlyn's presence.

"Hello," replies Gwynlyn, giving the other woman a friendly smile, "I am Priestess Gwynlyn and I am here investigating the recent destruction of a house and the theft of several valuables from it."

"Oh," says the other woman, her nervousness massively increases as she has a spike of fear, "I am not sure what you are doing here, but I am willingly to help however I can."

"I am just looking around for now," Gwynlyn tells her, trying not be too suspcicious of her reaction, "The All-Seeress has guided me here with her magic so I am trying to find out why that is the case.

"Of course," says the woman, "Feel free to do that just that. I will try to help you, but I am afraid I am just a trader. I am also busy planning to leave for the next village on my journey after finishing my business her so I need to finish getting ready to leave."

"I understand completely," Gwnynlyn reassures her, continuing to smile even as this woman is setting off all sorts of alarms for her, "If you need any help preparing, I will see I can do to help. It is the least that I can do after disrupting things for you with my presence."

As the woman's nervousness and fear drops as she emits a sudden rush of satisfaction, Gwynlyn taps into the magic of Wyrn, calling upon the Storyshaper to provide her with good luck.

"You don't need to worry yourself with that," says the woman, "Please do what you need to. I just need to get some things from another room."

As the woman walks off, Gwynlyn decides to inspect the room. There isn't much too it, but there are several goods lying around and a couple of boxes containing more items. Suspicious of this woman, Gwynlyn decides to a closer look in those boxes as she doubts anyone would be stupid enough to leave stolen goods in them, but you have to be a certain level of stupid to commit a crime in the first place.

Peering into the boxes without actually opening them, Gwynlyn decides to turn around on a whim as she feels the woman coming back towards her with a mixture of fear, anger and determination. It turns out that Gwynlyn picked the right time to look up as the woman approaches her, gripping stone club with hostile intent.

Having been fortunate to look up when she did, Gwynlyn has a moment to divert what magic she can afford to into boosting her toughness as the woman charges at her with a swing of her club. A poor fighter despite the best efforts of Powyl and others, Gwynlyn is unable to dodge the blow and the club smashes into her.

While her magically-enhanced toughness keeps her from getting hurt and dulls her pain to the point that she barely notices it, Gwynlyn is still knocked off her feet, landing a heap on the floor. Struggling to get upright, Gwynlyn curses the fact that she shifted into a more social form as some decent muscles, her beautifully large bosom is not at all conductive to winning this fight and it takes a good couple of minutes to shift your form.

While she unarmed and in an ill-suited form for a fight, Gwynlyn does have one major advantage, the divine magic of the goddesses. Easily the best magic wielder in the village, Gwynlyn is very confident in her ability to fight with magic even if her actually fighting skills are downright terrible. In a fight against this woman, her magic prowess may be enough for the priestess to claim victory.

Yet none of that ends up mattering as Powyl comes barrelling in through the doorway, tackling the woman to the ground. A warrior with decades of experience, Powyl easily overcomes the woman, subduing her with ease.

"Can you check the other rooms Gwyn?" says Powyl, "I got this handled."

"Of course," replies Gwynlyn as she gets to her feet and begins to take on a more-combat oriented form. There are no other people with the Blessing of Arthryn, but there is the possibility of there being a foreigner here. The chances of that are very low, but after getting caught off-guard like she just was, Gwynlyn is in the mood to be extra cautious.

Walking into another room, Gwynlyn taps into the magic of the All-Seeress, seeking a path towards the stolen goods. The goddess answers her and Gwynlyn can feel the way towards the stolen jewellery. The priestess follows the magic until it leads her to a leather bag and a quick shift through it reveals the gold bracelets, necklaces and arm-band that were stolen from the burnt house.

Taking the leather bag with her, Gwynlyn returns to the entry room of the building where Powyl has subdued the obscenity screaming woman.

"I found the stolen items," says Gwynlyn as she holds up the leather bag, "They are all in this bag."

"Good," says Powyl as he gives a grim smile, "We can head to the shrine now. I'll take her and you can bring the stolen goods. Between attacking you, having the stolen goods amongst her items and the All-Seeress lead us here, we have enough to interrogate her properly."

"I'm glad we caught her Powyl," says Gwynlyn as they head out of the building.

"Me too Gwyn," replies Powyl, radiating satisfaction that Gwynlyn shares , "Me too."

***​

Please point out any spelling or grammar mistakes that you spot. Please quote them in the thread and explain what you think is wrong so I know what you are referring to. Feel to ask questions for more details and information.

Last edited:
Back