Why does like 80% of your posts circle around to screeching about Anime Titties.

I'll echo the recommendation for you to entirely change where you get your news.

I wanted to fit in along with just how this kind of discourse it attracts on Reddit and Twitter.

Alert: Look at the name of this website
I wanted to fit in along with just how this kind of discourse it attracts on Reddit and Twitter.

look at the name of this website If you want to discourse like they do on Reddit and Twitter, go to Reddit or Twitter. Threads like these only have value insomuch as they feature people sharing their own opinions, fringe though they may be, rather than going on about largely imagined industry drama that they've picked up elsewhere. Get it together.

EDIT: It's Gyrobot doing his usual schtick of "anime game bad" this time along with apparently saying anyone thinking Concord looks meh is a chud.
I would believe most anime games, at least ones that I never heard of, would be bad either way.

They always got show those anime girls on the cover with clothes that no girl would ever wear from any time anywhere, huh?

I would believe most anime games, at least ones that I never heard of, would be bad either way.

They always got show those anime girls on the cover with clothes that no girl would ever wear from any time anywhere, huh?
The second is provably false because cosplayers XD

Japanese games do tend to lean heavily on the artwork of characters for sure, though whether that makes for a better or worse game is up to everyone individually.

I can only say that most open-source licenses I know obligate you to make any fork of the project that you create also open-source, which is of course somewhat undesirable for commercial developers.
That's one of the big branches, but there are some very important open-source licenses that don't have that effect. MIT license, Apache license, and BSD licenses are compatible with using things to build proprietary software.

That's like saying people wearing fashion show clothes don't look dumb just because there have been people who wear them in reality. They still do. Honestly, that main characters in anime and video games wear utterly outlandish clothes that nobody else does is a simple and fairly well-known fact and I can't imagine why you'd pick that as your hill to die on.

That's like saying people wearing fashion show clothes don't look dumb just because there have been people who wear them in reality. They still do. Honestly, that main characters in anime and video games wear utterly outlandish clothes that nobody else does is a simple and fairly well-known fact and I can't imagine why you'd pick that as your hill to die on.
If only that were what people were disagreeing with instead of

"They wear weird clothes" is not really in dispute, but "and therefore that's bad" is something that can reasonably be disputed.

Now, we can narrow down the argument to something like "this specific artwork puts women in outfits that are implausible and hyper-sexualized for the titillation of presumed-male readers, and that's bad," and then you're on firmer ground. But that's because you're putting in a lot more effort than with a low-effort "kids these days" crack about how "anime outfits look goofy."

That it's stupid to depict girls in a setting wearing clothes to which they wouldn't wear in that given setting?
Is it stupid to depict the guys building the pyramids as wearing pants when pants hadn't been invented? No. Anachronistic, yes, but not inherently a bad thing. "They aren't dressed in period-accurate situationally appropriate clothing" is not a strong criticism of a work of fiction that properly merits the use of words like 'stupid.'

Now, again...

If your real criticism is "the clothes are over-sexualized," that's fine. But that's not what you're saying, at least not in so many words.

Last edited:

With anime girls in general, and gatcha games in particular, I think a large chunk of this is simply making the character easily distinguishable when your game has, like, a hundred of them.

Personally, I don't mind it overly much as long as the ridiculous costume is at least interesting.

With anime girls in general, and gatcha games in particular, I think a large chunk of this is simply making the character easily distinguishable when your game has, like, a hundred of them.
An insightful statement, because yes, that is definitely very much the reason. Anime/manga art is highly stylized and it's a common problem for mangaka that the style can make your characters all look very similar, if not almost the same. The outrageous hair styles, hair colors and clothes are in large specifically to make it easier to pick out the characters and distinguish them at a glance. It's not a bad thing to do, but it is quite true that it's common exactly for that reason.

Last edited:
They still do. Honestly, that main characters in anime and video games wear utterly outlandish clothes that nobody else does is a simple and fairly well-known fact and I can't imagine why you'd pick that as your hill to die on.
Well yeah, no one's denying that. What's being disputed is the logic is that because it's outlandish it's automatically bad. Which is a pretty strange argument to make, most of these games are some type of fantasy or science fiction- i.e. genres defined by their deliberate disconnect from reality.

If someone wants to criticize specific design elements then by all means but that doesn't mean the argument isn't any less misguided.

Well yeah, no one's denying that. What's being disputed is the logic is that because it's outlandish it's automatically bad. Which is a pretty strange argument to make, most of these games are some type of fantasy or science fiction- i.e. genres defined by their deliberate disconnect from reality.

It's ultimately a matter of how much each player is willing to suspend their disbelief regarding costume design.

For instance, there's a fairly large difference between, say, Tifa Lockhart, and some of the hornier gatcha girls.

Personally, I'm not even particularly against sexualized character designs, so long as the character depicted is 1) an adult or adult equivalent entity (in both mind and body) 2) something that suits their personality/story 3) the creators aren't being weird about it.

Last edited:
Sadly, this is probably the most common reason for when I dislike that kind of thing. The creators so very often give the impression that they came up with their designs one-handed.

I mean, I'm not even against that so long as they're not trying to claim otherwise.

See Hideo - She Breaths Through her Skin - Kojima.

I find it unpleasantly exhibitionistic. You can get off on whatever you want, but do not shove it in my face where I don't want to see it. There's a reason we call exhibitionism sexual harrassment.

Well yes. But if it's part of product that's for sale, you kinda have to buy/use the product for it to be shoved in your face. Most of my game's library is surprisingly PG but I don't begrudge games that are not.

In which case the reasonable compromise is to put less lewd art on the cover and put a warning on the wrapper.

Last edited:
Back