Some thoughts on the latest episode:

So Berserker's Noble Phantasm is his ability to regenerate? It was revealed this episode that it can only be used once every three days. I suppose that explains why Illya retreated after Archer's attack. Still, Illya seems confidant of Berserker's abilities despite his limitation. Does she have some other tricks up her sleeves?

Rin's expression after Shirou called her fat. :D

Saber's talk with Shirou is mainly exposition. I was hoping that the action-packed episode last week indicated that we were finally past all of the fairly dry exposition. I understand that this was adapted from a novel where such dense exposition would feel more natural. But it really detracts from the overall experience in animated form.

I bet Rin gave Saber that outfit because it is not predominantly red like most of her wardrobe.

So Saber is refraining from revealing her identity to Shirou, just like how Archer is claiming he cannot remember his identity. Is the show just going to jerk us around about the Servants' identities? So far we have encountered four Servants, but only Lancer can be definitely identified.

For someone locked in a seven-way struggle to the death, Shirou is taking things really lightly, even going to school to deliver lunch to his teacher. Is Shirou going to try to maintain a normal life for the duration of the Grail War, including attending school? Does that mean that Saber is actually going to enroll in the school to protect Shirou?

It is clear that Ayako is going to be important later with how much focus she is getting in the story. I wonder what her role will be. Is she also a mage?

It is obvious that Sakura is one of the seven Masters. She has marks on her hand that resemble spent Command Seals and she reacted this episode when she heard Saber's name. I wonder who her servant is and why she has already used up all of her Command Seals. Does her family know about the Grail War?

Archer is concluding that Caster is female based on the fact that Caster's spell destroys love. That line of reasoning seems questionable. In any case, it looks like we will have Archer versus Caster next episode. That is sure to be exciting.

If Rin actually kills Shirou after he inevitably comes to her, I will eat my hat.

So Berserker's Noble Phantasm is his ability to regenerate? It was revealed this episode that it can only be used once every three days. I suppose that explains why Illya retreated after Archer's attack. Still, Illya seems confidant of Berserker's abilities despite his limitation. Does she have some other tricks up her sleeves?
I take it you're not familiar with the VN? Good. All that I'll say about it is that there's a bit more to Berserker's NP than what you're thinking.

The dialogue made it unclear, but that isn't Berserker's limitation on his ability. Rather, the three days thing is how often the stockpile comes back.

Berserker doesn't get it one extra life every three days. He gets eleven. Also, anything that killed him before he's immune to.

EDIT: Probably should have spoiler tagged that....

Last edited:
The dialogue made it unclear, but that isn't Berserker's limitation on his ability. Rather, the three days thing is how often the stockpile comes back.

Berserker doesn't get it one extra life every three days. He gets eleven. Also, anything that killed him before he's immune to.

EDIT: Probably should have spoiler tagged that....

Why do you have to spoil it for the one person in a million watching Ufotable UBW without having read the VN?

EDIT: Wow, between me loading the page and me clicking reply, you spoiler tagged that.

Man, that's a lot more broken than I thought. I just figured it was a set amount and he was immune to any previous attacks at or beyond A rank.

Okay guys, a newbie clearly joined this thread, so let's restrain our spoilers a bit, kay?

Just a question @Spelter, have you watched Fate/Zero or is FSN your first dive into the Fate series?

Last edited:
Man, that's a lot more broken than I thought. I just figured it was a set amount and he was immune to any previous attacks at or beyond A rank.

Technically, it's normally a set amount, but Ilya's mana stockpiles are stupidly huge to the point where she can regenerate any lives he's lost. If it wasn't for that, he'd only have the twelve lives.

Technically, it's normally a set amount, but Ilya's mana stockpiles are stupidly huge to the point where she can regenerate any lives he's lost. If it wasn't for that, he'd only have the twelve lives.
I see. Darn Einzberg manipulations...
Illya was powerful enough to summon without the grail helping, no?

I see. Darn Einzberg manipulations...
Illya was powerful enough to summon without the grail helping, no?

Yep. Of course, given that it was Berserker, she was still going through a Kariya around that time. Every time Berserker moved before the Grail really started up to support him caused her immense pain.

Yep. Of course, given that it was Berserker, she was still going through a Kariya around that time. Every time Berserker moved before the Grail really started up to support him caused her immense pain.
"Going through a Kariya" :)
Would it have been easier if she summoned a less mana-intensive Servant, ya think?

"Going through a Kariya" :)
Would it have been easier if she summoned a less mana-intensive Servant, ya think?

Given Saber in UBW Good, and Rider in Heaven's Feel True, yes. It would have been much less of a problem if she were powering something other than the monster truck that walks like a demigod.

Rin can support Saber post grail, though it ruins her chances of advancing much higher in the mage hierarchy due to her having basically no leftover prana to work with.

I have not watched Fate/Zero. I know that Saber and Shirou's father appeared in it, but beyond that I do not know about what happened in it. I do know that it is a prequel written after Fate/Stay Night, so I will refrain from watching F/Z until after finishing F/SN.

Where's that popcorn gif, I know I left it here somewhere...

I have not watched Fate/Zero. I know that Saber and Shirou's father appeared in it, but beyond that I do not know about what happened in it. I do know that it is a prequel written after Fate/Stay Night, so I will refrain from watching F/Z until after finishing F/SN.

We are really going to love seeing what you have to say. Though honestly, something like your own Let's Watch thread would be an easier way for people to keep spoilers out of your hair, maybe?

Or maybe I just really want to find someone new to Fate to do a Let's Watch. That's possible, too.

Either way, this should be a fun ride for you.

And then following the summons, the Einzberns dumped her in a forest full of man eating wolves, to force her to use Berserker as a weapon to save her own life. At the point where it hurt her for him to even move.

The Einzberns are kinda colossal dicks.

We are, after all, speaking of the family that has a pit full of nothing but naked dead girls. My personal theory is that Justabecht and Zouken are involved in some kind of insane game of one-upsmanship about who can be the more horrible human being.

So for a laugh I went on the Type-Moon wiki to look up what exactly a Servant's Divinity ranking has to do with anything.

Boy howdy was that a mistake.

You'd have to be some kind of animu scholar to determine what the Christing fuckballs is going on there.

I like you. I like you a lot.

So for a laugh I went on the Type-Moon wiki to look up what exactly a Servant's Divinity ranking has to do with anything.

Boy howdy was that a mistake.

You'd have to be some kind of animu scholar to determine what the Christing fuckballs is going on there.

Nobody knows what Divinity actually does, other than let Gil sneer at you when you're wrapped in chains.

All Divinity ever seems to do is be super effective against some things (Like Achilles NP), and make certain things super effective against you (Like Enkidu).

Anything that says that Divinity does otherwise needs citation.

From what I gather looking at the wiki page, Divinity does three things.

1. The world itself starts supporting your existence to a certain extent because you are so close to being a Divine Spirit. This lessens the load on your Master.

2. It lowers the rank of some special defenses.

3. It blocks certain personal skills.

Well then, I very much look forward to reading your impressions :D

But out of curiosity, how do you figure who Lancer is then?

Back