Yes. BUT: Consider this.

Other nations that are directly to the west of Japan: China. Korea. India. Pakistan. Afganistan. Turkey. Greece. Italy. Spain. Syria. Italy. Portugal. Saudi Arabia. The United States of America.

Last edited:
You could effectively claim "everything" is West of Japan, if we're going with the fact the world is round and not square.

Yes. BUT: Consider this.

Other nations that are directly to the west of Japan: China. Korea. India. Pakistan. Afganistan. Turkey. Greece. Italy. Spain. Syria. Italy. Portugal. Saudi Arabia. The United States of America.
Your point being?

Nasu wanted to use exotic foreign heroes, no more no less. Nasu fans tend to read too much into everything he does, there isn't an in universe answer. Side materials has a few 'Eastern' servants but that isn't what Nasu found cool when he wrote F/SN.

Yeah I get that, and that's all very well and good. But reading things led me to believe that there was a mechanics justification for it.

I want to know what that mechanical justification is.

Yeah I get that, and that's all very well and good. But reading things led me to believe that there was a mechanics justification for it.

I want to know what that mechanical justification is.
The mechanical justification is fuck you, got magic.

Also, Butchershrooms and j-j-jamming it in.

My headcanon is that Einzbern realized that out of remaining four Masters, there is a good chance that most of them will be from Japan, and they didn't want to make it easy for them to get powerful catalysts AND get home country advantage.

But yes, foreign=cool is actual reason.

My headcanon is that Einzbern realized that out of remaining four Masters, there is a good chance that most of them will be from Japan, and they didn't want to make it easy for them to get powerful catalysts AND get home country advantage.

But yes, foreign=cool is actual reason.
Good enough. I am satisfied.

Maybe the Third War is what caused Edward VIII to abdicate. Itw asn't about marrying an American woman; it was about him getting trounced and only barely surviving, so that he had no more real influence in the family.

Alas, as a Saxon, he too is a German.

All joking aside, what do you even mean by someone who is English? You're going to get a very different answer depending on the criteria that you choose to use.
Bah, forgot about that. I guess I'm not using a very educated definition for what I mean? It just seems like whatever the population of Britain at the time, they've always been ruled by people from other countries.

Okay so I just got into this thing, and I have a question.

Apparently the Fuyuki System dictates that only heroes of "Western" origin can be summoned to Fuyuki. But Gilgamesh is Mesopotamian, which was roughly in Iraq. As were the Assassins.

I mean the socio-political concept of the "West" has always been extra-bullshit. And that's understandable. But how do they justify that?

False Assassin is not only a fake hero, but a fake hero of 3 different Japanese origins mashed together. Its not even a thing in universe.

Bah, forgot about that. I guess I'm not using a very educated definition for what I mean? It just seems like whatever the population of Britain at the time, they've always been ruled by people from other countries.

Nah, I'm being grossly unfair when I say that Harold Godwinson was a German. He was an Anglo-Saxon ruling over the Anglo-Saxon inhabitants of England, which should definitely qualify him as an English king.

It's true that England has had more than one ruling house of foreign origin, but so long as their members identify with the English, then that's good enough for me. Going into further detail sounds not only exhausting but also very, very arbitrary.

Particularly since the English are themselves a mixture of peoples.

Last edited:
She would have been a little young for the Third War... And given that the von Einzbern family is German, are we sure their representative wasn't some Reich noble?
Actually, so far as this is defined, it might have been Jubstacheit von Einzbern himself (aka, the current head of the family) for the Third War. I can't nail that down definitively though.

Okay so I just got into this thing, and I have a question.

Apparently the Fuyuki System dictates that only heroes of "Western" origin can be summoned to Fuyuki. But Gilgamesh is Mesopotamian, which was roughly in Iraq. As were the Assassins.

I mean the socio-political concept of the "West" has always been extra-bullshit. And that's understandable. But how do they justify that?
It's not that "only heroes of 'Western'' origin" can be summoned. It's more like "the system has a bias in favour of heroes of Western origin". Also, remember that Catalysts can override things too (the Assassin Class itself serves as a catalyst to pull one of the Hassans, unless an alternate catalyst is provided. Gil was summoned using a catalyst very specifically associated with him and him alone among heroes...).

It's not that "only heroes of 'Western'' origin" can be summoned. It's more like "the system has a bias in favour of heroes of Western origin". Also, remember that Catalysts can override things too (the Assassin Class itself serves as a catalyst to pull one of the Hassans, unless an alternate catalyst is provided. Gil was summoned using a catalyst very specifically associated with him and him alone among heroes...).

A specific catalyst will always summon the proper servant. Its just with a general catalyst that other factors come ino effect. If you used a piece of the Round Table, you could end up with Arturia, Lancelot, Gawain, or another famous knight of Arthur's Court with an affinity similar to yours. If you used Avalon though, you would end up with Arturia even if your affinity was absolute crap (Kiritsugu).

Back