I'm disappointed that they chose to split UWB and HF. I was hoping that we could get a high quality anime that gives us a proper ending to all the different plots instead of this either/or stuff.

I'm disappointed that they chose to split UWB and HF. I was hoping that we could get a high quality anime that gives us a proper ending to all the different plots instead of this either/or stuff.
They aren't splitting it. UBW is a two cour anime and HF will be a movie series.

...Dude, the oiginal game split the routes. There's stuff in each route that's completely incompatible with the others.
Exhibit A: A good chunk of Heaven's Feel.
Yes, and? That was sort of my point. I was hoping that the anime would provide us with a story that handled all the plotlines and gave a ending for all of them.

:facepalm:
Doing that by cramming in three different storylines, each of which have chunks that are mutually exclusive, into however many episodes theh have for this, is just going to result in quality decline and/or feeling rushed.
Take Archer as an example for how you can't cram all three routes into a single anime.
Fate:Holds the line against Berserker so Saber and co can escape and have time to pull off a Prana Exchange Ritual.
Unlimited Blade Works: Switches to Caster's side for a while, surives to near end of Route via Independent Action, antagonistic to Shirou.
Heaven's Feel: Focuses on eliminating The Shadow, mortally wounded fighting Saber Alter, gives his arm to Shirou.
How are you supposed to reconcile these three contradictory plotlines into one anime?

Take Archer as an example for how you can't cram all three routes into a single anime.
Fate:Holds the line against Berserker so Saber and co can escape and have time to pull off a Prana Exchange Ritual.
Unlimited Blade Works: Switches to Caster's side for a while, surives to near end of Route via Independent Action, antagonistic to Shirou.
Heaven's Feel: Focuses on eliminating The Shadow, mortally wounded fighting Saber Alter, gives his arm to Shirou.
How are you supposed to reconcile these three contradictory plotlines into one anime?

Archer holds the line against Dark Berserker while Rin and Shirou run off to find help. But Saber Alter and a corrupted Caster capture him and corrupt him. His arm is later cut off by Lancer, and it is transported onto Shirou.

Doing that by cramming in three different storylines, each of which have chunks that are mutually exclusive, into however many episodes theh have for this, is just going to result in quality decline and/or feeling rushed.
They don't have to cram three routes into one, they could make a new original route like we were told they would do.

They don't have to cram three routes into one, they could make a new original route like we were told they would do.
Yes, and? That was sort of my point. I was hoping that the anime would provide us with a story that handled all the plotlines and gave a ending for all of them.
Ahem. That's not going to happen with an original route, as quite a few chunks of plotline won't work together.
Additionally, looking around, I can't actually find any statements about the anime being a original route. It seems fans just assumed.

There were never any news of original route. Only "original content". And they have fulfilled it already: Shirou gets a new clothes. That's original content.

And Nasu is known for lying through his ass (apparently because he is an alien from Planet of Lies that will die if he doesn't lie once a day).

There were never any news of original route. Only "original content". And they have fulfilled it already: Shirou gets a new clothes. That's original content.

And Nasu is known for lying through his ass (apparently because he is an alien from Planet of Lies that will die if he doesn't lie once a day).
You know, I think someone out there is going to gut Nasu (but make sure to not kill him and leave him with a way to recover) if that was all there is, for the new content.

I think that Fate and UBW can be combined to a degree though. I think the manga did it but went back to Fate after the Caster arc. Maybe something like that, as in, proceed with Fate until the end of Berserker arc where Archer survives and then proceed to UBW's Caster arc and continue from there. Just as long as they alter some key events and don't add things more than necessary. The good news? Nasu is with them, thus, it is doable.

I'm not saying they could condense the three routes, just two routes. And I don't care about the amount of animes I get, I just want to get good and satisfying anime. Would having a lot of anime make the storytelling miraculously better? Maybe, maybe not. We'll just have to see.

I think that Fate and UBW can be combined to a degree though. I think the manga did it but went back to Fate after the Caster arc. Maybe something like that, as in, proceed with Fate until the end of Berserker arc where Archer survives and then proceed to UBW's Caster arc and continue from there. Just as long as they alter some key events and don't add things more than necessary. The good news? Nasu is with them, thus, it is doable.
The tricky bit with that plan is Gilgamesh. I mean, you can't do the surprise final boss thing he was in Fate, because everyone knows he's still around after Zero, and roughly what he can pull. And people are going to be wondering where he is and what he's up to. UBW probably gives him the most screen time and model of behavior for being more involved, but then you run into the problem of Ilya not getting enough screen time.

I suspect we're going to get at least Rider's arc from Fate, though. That's the one where she really gets to show off, and she does need that (also, they need to introduce Shinji). Beyond that it gets fuzzy, because more or less everything hinges on what happens to Shinji. If he lives, they can link him up with Gil and begin the Caster arc well enough, at least up to the point where Gil kills Ilya and Berserker. If Shinji dies, then that pretty much locks them into Fate (and ignoring Sakura, Caster and Archer). If he dies and they do the Caster arc of UBW regardless, you have the slightly epic disruptive presence of Ilya and Berserker running around, and the fact the Caster arc ends with Archer trying to kill Shiro (and yes, I read the manga version. Rin talks Archer down. Do I need to go into why that is a slightly unlikely turn of events?)

Basically, sooner or later the anime is going to need to diverge hard if it does any major route fusions.

Of course, this is all silly, since it's about 8 times more likely that they aren't going to do anything funny with the route content at all.

It's cool, but it won't be a good opening: too much spoilers.

Back