はむはむふむふむ。
Hamuhamu fumufumu.​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:徐福ちゃんがカレーパン食べてる
1: Xufu-chan is eating a curry bun.

徐福・Xufu

んぐっ。……なんだよぅ、やらないぞー。
Ngu. ... what? I'm not gonna give it to you.
新しく来たやたらガタイのいいコックさんとベーカリーが共同開発したっていうこのカレーパン、
This curry bun that was jointly developed by Bakery and the new cook-san with the nice build,
刺激的な辛みが実に刺激的で(語彙不足)クセになる逸品。
is though stimulatingly spicy quite stimulatingly (vocabulary inadequate) an indulgence [like to] become an addiction.
欲しけりゃ自分で貰ってこーい。
If you want one, get one yourself.
……食べながら何読んでるのかって?
... what is it that I'm reading while I'm munching away, you ask?​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

2:徐福ちゃんが何か読んでる
2: Xufu-chan is reading something.

徐福・Xufu

んぐっ。何だよう、悪いのかよう。
Ngu. What, got a problem with that?​

-

徐福・Xufu

この論文風テキスト、なんかいつのまにかデータベースに突っ込まれてたんだよねー。
This dissertation-like text somehow turned up in the database at some point, see?
緊急励起対応の 試運転( デモ) 対象になって現界したはいいけど、別にやることもないからさ。
[I haven't any problem with] being summoned to manifestation as a trial activation( demo) subject for the Emergency Catalysis Response ( 緊急( kinkyuu) 励起( reiki) 対応( tai'ou) ; 励起( reiki) , lit. "excitation"), but I haven't much else to do.
暇潰しに読んでる。
[Thus], I'm killing time reading.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:どんな論文なの?
1: What sort of dissertation is it?

徐福・Xufu

なんかアルターエゴの意義とか成立過程とか。
Something about the meaning behind Alter-Egos, and the process by which they come to establishment.
そういうものについての考察、かな。
An investigation into the subject matter, maybe?
『今まで我々はそのクラスである意義、本質を理解せずに 軽々( けいけい) に活用してきたが、』
『Though unto this point, we've too lightly made use of this Class without comprehension of its meaning; its inherent nature,』
『ここで今一度考え直すべきかもしれない』
『perhaps we ought to here revise our stance.』
『それがより一層の彼らアルターエゴへの理解を導き、』
『I believe that per this [undertaking], we might a layer further [deepen] our understanding unto they [who are] the Alter-Egos;』
『また、その力を最大限活用することができると信じるものであるーーー』だって。
『and further, come to be capable of exercising their strength to the maximum possible extent —』 it says.
なんだかマジメですなー。あ、あと、
Somehow it's super serious about things. Ah, also, it mentions stuff like,
『アルターエゴは基本的に勝手に出てくるもので、』
『On account that Alter-Egos are fundamentally existences that arbitrarily instantiate of their own accord,』
『よっぽどのチートスキル持ちとか自分自身を素材にするとかでもなければ、』
『barring the circumstance that one holds quite the cheat skill, or otherwise makes use of oneself as materials from which to work,』
『意識的に作るのは難しいと思うので注意』みたいな話もあったかな。
『do note that generating them on an intentional basis would be difficult, I believe.』
そりゃそうだ。
But of course that's the case.
というか私も今いる自分がなんでアルターエゴなのかわかんねー。
Or rather, I should say, I likewise haven't any clue as to why the me here present is an Alter-Ego.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:でも、後悔はしていないよね?
1: But you don't regret it, right?

徐福・Xufu

当然です。
Of course.
『そう出てきた理由』はわかんなくても、『そうである理由』はハッキリしてる。
Even that I'm unaware of 『the reason that I've so manifested』, I've got a clear grip of 『the reason that I'm here』.
その答えは勿論、ぐっ様への……ラァヴ……(いい発音)。
And the answer to that is of course, [my] raavu ... (nice pronunciation) ... for Gu-sama.
このレポートの中で一番同意できた部分はね。
As to the portion of this report to which I most concur.
アルターエゴが、元々の人格から派生した……欠けた、分かれた『部分』なのは確かでも。
It's indeed the case that Alter-Egos are derivative the original personality ... 『portions』 chipped off; separated forth.
そういう存在だからできることもある、ってこと。
That is, there are certain things [I'm] capable of precisely on account that [I'm] such an existence.
こんな私じゃなかったら、余計なしがらみの多い元々の私だったら、
If I weren't [the way I am]; [but rather] the original me, with [zero] leeway, and numerous things [tying me down],
行動も思考も資源も全てをぐっ様に捧げるなんて夢のような暮らし、できなかったかもしれないですし。
it might the case that this dreamlike manner of life wherein I devote the entirety of my actions, thoughts, and resources to Gu-sama would be beyond my capability.​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:そう……かもね
1: That ... might be the case.

自分は作り物で、中は空っぽだ、と昔に言った誰かがいた気もしたけれど。
Though [I felt like] there was somebody who once said, 'I'm a fabricated existence, empty on the inside,'
たぶん、それが全てではない。
that probably isn't all there is to it.
たとえ本人たちが、感情という材料なしでは動けない、
The original individuals themselves wouldn't be capable of acting absent the substance [that is] emotion;
自分を ( まき) にして走る人形と変わらないと思っているのだとしてもーーー
and even that [an Alter-Ego] regards themselves no different from an automaton ( 走る( hashiru) 人形( ningyou) , lit. "running puppet") that [in running, expends] itself as kindling ( ( maki) , "firewood," as used for fuel) —
その純粋さは、誰にも否定できない。
nobody can deny their purity.
その純粋さでしか辿り着けない場所も、きっとある。

Likewise, there must exist a place that cannot be arrived upon other than by that purity.

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

2:(ちょっとはこっちのお仕事にも捧げてほしい)
2: (I'd like for her to devote herself to work on this side a bit as well.)

-

徐福・Xufu

……もぐり。
... moguri.
……ふむ。私も頭脳系の端くれとして、話題のアルターエゴの一人として、
... fumu. Being as I likewise ostensibly count as an intellectual, and as one of these Alter-Egos being discussed,
ちょっとは考察みたいなものを付け加えておきましょうか。
how about I append a little something extra for consideration?
一つの 方向性( 思い) だけが ( あふ) れた存在だからこそ何かができる可能性っていうのは、きっと、人だって一緒のはず。
I would [hazard] that the possibility of coming to be capable of [a certain] something precisely on account of the overflowing of a singular directionality( sentiment) is true for humans as well.
たとえばあなたが人類史に残る偉業を成したとき。
Suppose [it comes to pass] that you've [engraved an incredible feat] in the History of Man.
そこにいたのは、普通のあなたじゃなくて、誰かへの愛にのみ生きるあなただったかもしれない。
Perhaps [the individual there recorded] wouldn't be the normal you, but a you who lives strictly on behalf of your love for someone.
誰か一人を命に替えても守りたいとしか思わなかったあなたかもしれない。
It may be a you who can think only of protecting someone, even that [it comes at] the [cost] of a life.
心の底から誰かを殺したいとしか思っていなかったあなたかもしれない。
It may be a you who can from the bottom of your heart think only of killing someone.
『その瞬間瞬間のあなた』という、誰しもが無数に持っている英雄の形ーーー
The form of the hero that is as 『the you of that instant』, which for everyone [exists] in countless [abundance] —
それが連続しているのが、私たちアルターエゴという存在なのかもしれない……
It may be the case that the existences what are as we the Alter-Egos are an extension of this ...
みたいな?
Something along those lines?​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:よくわからないけれど
1: I don't really get it,
2:なんとなくわかったような
2: but I feel like I'm somehow starting to get it.

徐福・Xufu

どっちなんじゃーい。
Which is it, exactly?
ま、どうでもいいですけど。
Ma, whichever it is, it doesn't really matter, I suppose.
所詮暇潰しだったし。
At most, it's just me killing time.​

食堂の中には、誰の好みか、昔のジャズが小さく流れていた。
Within the dining hall, there was a bit of old jazz playing, perhaps on somebody's preference.
たとえ紙の月でも、作り物でも、君が信じてくれたらそうじゃなくなる……
Even that it's a paper moon; even that it's make-believe, it wouldn't be so, if only you believed ...
歌われているのは、そんな、想いの力を願う言葉。
That which was sung were words like this, what extolled the power of sentiment.
セイバーが剣を使って戦うように。
In the manner that Sabers battle by the use of blades.
ランサーが槍を持って戦うように。
In the manner that Lancers battle by the use of spears.
アルターエゴという彼らは、誰かを、何かを想う力で戦うのかもしれないなとーーー
Perhaps it's the case that they who are called as Alter-Egos battle by the strength of the sentiment [they bear] for somebody; for some thing —
そんなことを、想った。

such a thought crossed my mind.
Ordeal Call I - Epilogue said:
Gudako

1: Oya, that's ...

Xufu

Hamuhamu fumufumu.​

-

Gudako

1: Xufu-chan is eating a curry bun.

Xufu

Ngu. ... what? I'm not gonna give it to you.
This curry bun that was jointly developed by Bakery and the new cook-san with the nice build,
is though stimulatingly spicy quite stimulatingly (vocabulary inadequate) an indulgence [like to] become an addiction.
If you want one, get one yourself.
... what is it that I'm reading while I'm munching away, you ask?​

-

Gudako

2: Xufu-chan is reading something.

Xufu

Ngu. What, got a problem with that?​

-

Xufu

This dissertation-like text somehow turned up in the database at some point, see?
[I haven't any problem with] being summoned to manifestation as a trial activation( demo) subject for the Emergency Catalysis Response, but I haven't much else to do.
[Thus], I'm killing time reading.​

Gudako

1: What sort of dissertation is it?

Xufu

Something about the meaning behind Alter-Egos, and the process by which they come to establishment.
An investigation into the subject matter, maybe?
『Though unto this point, we've too lightly made use of this Class without comprehension of its meaning; its inherent nature,』
『perhaps we ought to here revise our stance.』
『I believe that per this [undertaking], we might a layer further [deepen] our understanding unto they [who are] as Alter-Egos;』
『and further, come to be capable of exercising their strength to the maximum possible extent —』 it says.
Somehow it's super serious about things. Ah, also, it mentions stuff like,
『On account that Alter-Egos are fundamentally existences that arbitrarily instantiate of their own accord,』
『barring the circumstance that one holds quite the cheat skill, or otherwise makes use of oneself as materials from which to work,』
『do note that generating them on an intentional basis would be difficult, I believe.』
But of course that's the case.
Or rather, I should say, I likewise haven't any clue as to why the me here present is an Alter-Ego.​

Gudako

1: But you don't regret it, right?

Xufu

Of course.
Even that I'm unaware of 『the reason that I've so manifested』, I've got a clear grip of 『the reason that I'm here』.
And the answer to that is of course, [my] raavu ... (nice pronunciation) ... for Gu-sama.
As to the portion of this report to which I most concur.
It's indeed the case that Alter-Egos are derivative the original personality ... 『portions』 chipped off; separated forth.
That is, there are certain things [I'm] capable of precisely on account that [I'm] such an existence.
If I weren't [the way I am]; [but rather] the original me, with [zero] leeway, and numerous things [tying me down],
it might the case that this dreamlike manner of life wherein I devote the entirety of my actions, thoughts, and resources to Gu-sama would be beyond my capability.​

-

Gudako

1: That ... might be the case.

Though [I felt like] there was somebody who once said, 'I'm a fabricated existence, empty on the inside,'
that probably isn't all there is to it.
The original individuals themselves wouldn't be capable of acting absent the substance [that is] emotion;
and even that [an Alter-Ego] regards themselves no different from an automaton that [in running, expends] itself as kindling —
nobody can deny their purity.

Likewise, there must exist a place that cannot be arrived upon other than by that purity.

-

Gudako

2: (I'd like for her to devote herself to work on this side a bit as well.)

-

Xufu

... moguri.
... fumu. Being as I likewise ostensibly count as an intellectual, and as one of these Alter-Egos being discussed,
how about I append a little something extra for consideration?
I would [hazard] that the possibility of coming to be capable of [a certain] something precisely on account of the overflowing of a singular directionality( sentiment) is true for humans as well.
Suppose [it comes to pass] that you've [engraved an incredible feat] in the History of Man.
Perhaps [the individual there recorded] wouldn't be the normal you, but a you who lives strictly on behalf of your love for someone.
It may be a you who can think only of protecting someone, even that [it comes at] the [cost] of a life.
It may be a you who can from the bottom of your heart think only of killing someone.
The form of the hero that is as 『the you of that instant』, which for everyone [exists] in countless [abundance] —
It may be the case that the existences what are as we the Alter-Egos are an extension of this ...
Something along those lines?​

Gudako

1: I don't really get it,
2: but I feel like I'm somehow starting to get it.

Xufu

Which is it, exactly?
Ma, whichever it is, it doesn't really matter, I suppose.
At most, it's just me killing time.​

Within the dining hall, there was a bit of old jazz playing, perhaps on somebody's preference.
Even that it's a paper moon; even that it's make-believe, it wouldn't be so, if only you believed ...
That which was sung were words like this, what extolled the power of sentiment.
In the manner that Sabers battle by the use of blades.
In the manner that Lancers battle by the use of spears.
Perhaps it's the case that they who are called as Alter-Egos battle by the strength of the sentiment [they bear] for somebody; for some thing —

such a thought crossed my mind.

The italic bits are apparently internal narration from Guda.

After the events of OC1, Guda comes across Xufu killing time in the dining hall, apparently summoned forth as a subject for a trial run of the Emergency Catalysis Response ( 緊急( kinkyuu) 励起( reiki) 対応( tai'ou) ; 励起( reiki) , lit. "excitation") System, which at present time isn't detailed at any point in the game script.

Xufu explains that she's reading a paper that somehow turned up within the database, implied to have been written by Dust of Osiris. After more or less affirming the conclusions drawn in the passages previously translated here, she reiterates that Alter-Egos are "fragmentary" existences to which certain possibilities denied to "the original individual" are opened.

That is, regardless that Heroic Spirits are fundamentally unchanging records engraved to the Human Order and the Throne, with the purification of a manifested aspect at the exclusion of others, outcomes without the bounds of record come into possibility. This "purification" generally relates to escalation in the expression of a particular sentiment.

Xufu hypothesizes that the phenomenon by which the overflowing of a singular sentiment opens possibilities otherwise out of reach applies to humans as well.
Specifically, she posits that in the moment that a human engraves an incredible feat in the record of the Human Order, they attained a performance beyond the norm on account that they were driven by an potent sentiment.

To rephrase, a "snapshot" of a given human that isolates who they were within the moment they attained a feat normally without their reach likely expresses a purification to a particular sentiment.
Xufu believes that Alter-Egos may be an extension of this.

At this point, Guda hears a certain jazz song playing in the background of the dining hall, and wonders to herself if alike to Sabers wielding swords and Lancers wielding spears, Alter-Egos wield the strength of their sentiments.

With the dropping of the jazz reference, it becomes evident that perhaps in a Doylist context, the Paper Moon was so named to connote "a fabricated existence" of "make-believe," which potentially becomes "real" with invested sentiment.

Incidentally, Alter-Egos being "fabricated existences, empty on the inside" was something stated by Meltryllis in Grand Order CCC, during the disclosure that she misrepresented herself when stating that her memories were reinitialized as of contact with Guda:

Grand Order CCC said:
メルトリリス・Meltryllis

アルターエゴは作り物から生まれた作り物。中は空っぽなの。
Alter-Egos are fabricated existences born forth from fabricated existences. [We're] empty on the inside.
その 材料( モト) になった感情にすがるしか、存在意義を保てない。
Absent of clinging to the emotion that becomes as our substance( basis) , we're incapable of maintaining our raison d'etre.
自分を ( まき) にして走る人形と変わらない。
I'm no different from an automaton that runs, [expending] myself as kindling.
はじめから自壊する事が前提なのよ、私たちアルターエゴは。
We the Alter-Egos were from the start premised upon self-annihilation.​

It isn't clear as to the extent to which Guda recalls this event as of OC1, but her internal dialogue here suggests that she may remember something.

Removed of the context of this epilogue, I would observe that following Xufu's logic, Heroic Spirits come to manifestation as Servants generally express only a portion of the record upon the Throne, parred down to relatively greater purification within a singular "prime." No Servant can really be deemed "their normal self." The Li Shuwen that embodies the prime of his old age is not his entire being, but rather a snapshot of his existence, distilling a narrower representation of his person.

Ergo, in a broader sense, all Servants manifested to the Saint Graph of a discrete Class can on some level be regarded as "Alter-Egos-if-you-squint." By definition, the Saber aspect of a Heroic Spirit is "purified" to who they were when acting in accordance to the qualifications of a Saber.

Whereas we've so far been led to believe that being reenactments of record, Servants are in some capacity restricted from attaining outcomes without the boundaries of their history or legend, this "restriction" may in some way be a function of the extent to which the "completeness" of their representation of record as a Servant binds their agency.
Alter-Egos are sufficiently unbound that per the purity of the sentiment they express, they're capable of arriving at outcomes normally beyond their means.
The purification of sentiment and the unbinding from strictures are more or less the same process, with the ultimate consequence being that things existing as a matter of record aren't the end all and be all of a Servant's fate.

Though it's been asserted a number of times that "Servants are completed existences that cannot change," recent content authored by Jin Haganeya has featured a running thematic thread challenging this notion. I'll try to detail this in future posts.

TL;DR — It may not be the case that all Servants are concluded existences, incapable of varying from record. Rather, incompleteness and purity of sentiment potentially break the strictures binding a Servant to their past.

Last edited:
Setanta in Jin Haganeya's Lilim-Harlot, on the agency of Servants:
Continuing from the previous post, a discussion of Servants as completed existences, and how it relates to the agency they exercise.

Lilim-Harlot said:
セタンタ・Setanta

ーーースカサハだ。​

スカサハ・Scathach

うむ?ああ、来たか。​

セタンタ・Setanta

……おう。じゃなくて、うっす、師匠。
セタンタっす。お久しぶりっす……でいいのか、この場合?​

スカサハ・Scathach

はは、奇妙なことを言う。儂の下に来た時は、お主、既にクー・フーリンであったろうに。​

セタンタ・Setanta

あんたがしつこくセタンタ、セタンタ、呼び続けたせいだろうが……。
……実際、オレはセタンタだよ。
今はまだ、クー・フーリンを名乗れるような器じゃねえ。​

スカサハ・Scathach

殊勝なことだ。どれ、久々に稽古をつけてやる……と言いたいところだが。
おまえはビーストの側だったな。ならば、うん、殺そう。​

ロクスタ・Locusta

コイツも中身バーサーカーですよぉっ!?​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……スカサハだからね
2:強いケルトの人はね……

セタンタ・Setanta

だから、ビーストの仲間になったつもりはねえっつーの。
オレはただマスターを守るだけだ。​

スカサハ・Scathach

同じことだ、馬鹿者。
ビースト幼体も、獣の契約者も見過ごすわけにはいかぬ。
…… 鏖殺( おうさつ) あるのみよ。​

セタンタ・Setanta

……………………。
……なあ、師匠。
こいつは今『人理消滅』よりもヤバいもん背負い込んでいる。
オレもまだイマイチわかっちゃいねえが……
汎人類史が懸かってるんだろう?
こいつのカルデアがしくじれば、まるごと消し飛ぶーーー
他の英霊ならともかく、あんたがそれを理解してないはずが……​

スカサハ・Scathach

何だ、そんなことか。
ーーー関係ないな。​

ドラコー・Draco

……ッ! 貴様……​

セタンタ・Setanta

おいおい、師匠。なに言ってやが……​

スカサハ・Scathach

おまえこそ何を言っている?
汎人類史の敗北。地球の白紙化。
なるほど、確かに大事だ。​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:(……やっぱり)
2:(全部知ってるんだ)

スカサハ・Scathach

だがな、セタンタ。
それがどうしたというのだ( ・・・・・・・・・・・・) ?​

セタンタ・Setanta

……何だと?​

スカサハ・Scathach

それは獣の契約者ーーー
そやつと、その世界を生きる者が向き合うべき試練。
英霊がーーー死者の夢如きが、背負って良いものではない。
この螺旋証明世界に喚ばれた私は、ただビーストⅥを殺すためだけの装置。
その末路など、私の知るところではない。
サーヴァントとはそういうものだろう。​

セタンタ・Setanta

ーーーーーー。​

スカサハ・Scathach

それに、な。セタンタよ。
たかが世界の終わり( ・・・・・・・・・)
大して珍しいものでもあるまいに。​

セタンタ・Setanta

……なるほどな。こういうことか。
スカサハ、あんた確かにサーヴァントだ。
サーヴァントのあんたなんて、本来はあり得ないはずだからな。
確かに、スカサハだ。
でも、スカサハじゃない。
最下層に湧いたのと同じ……ただの影だ。​

スカサハ・Scathach

それはおまえもだ、馬鹿弟子よ。
おまえが今抱いている、その熱、 ( たぎ) り、殺意。
すべて過去の ( ゆが) んだ投影であることを知れ。
でなくば、おまえは道を ( たが) えるぞ。
死者の 過去( ゆめ) で、生者の 理想( ゆめ) ( けが) す。​

ドラコー・Draco

………………。​

セタンタ・Setanta

ーーーーーーーーー。
……はぁぁぁぁぁ~~~~~っ​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……セタンタ?

セタンタ・Setanta

全然わっかんねえですねえ!
ババアと違って、オレ、まだガキなんで!
サーヴァントとはそういうもの!?
先なんて知ったこっちゃねえ、だと!?
だったら、どうして 英霊( オレ) たちは! 理を超えて! 奇跡さえ起こして!
どうして! マスター( あいつ) の下に集ったんだよ!​

ドラコー・Draco

セタンタ、おまえ……​

セタンタ・Setanta

英霊( サーヴァント) の理屈に収まる程度の器なら!
オレは英雄になんぞなれやしねえ!​

スカサハ・Scathach

……呆れた。流石の儂も呆れ果てたぞ。
あまりにも未熟。あまりにも幼稚。
斯様( かよう) な拙さで、世界を相手に吠えるのか。
セタンタよ。
お主、まだまだケルトが練れておらぬな。​

ロクスタ・Locusta

ケルトを……練る?​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

ロクスタ・Locusta

そっかー。ケルティック・スカサハかぁー。​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

2:『ローマ!』みたいなものかと

ドラコー&ロクスタ・Draco & Locusta

『一緒にするな』『いっしょにすんじゃねえですよ』​

-

スカサハ・Scathach

だが、うむ。そうか。
ーーーそれでこそ、セタンタというもの。​
セタンタ・Setanta

ーーースカサハだ。
— It's Scathach.​

スカサハ・Scathach

うむ?ああ、来たか。
Umu? Aah, you've come, hm?​

セタンタ・Setanta

……おう。じゃなくて、うっす、師匠。
... ou. Or rather, ussu, Teacher.
セタンタっす。お久しぶりっす……でいいのか、この場合?
It's me, Setanta. Long time no see ... Is it okay [for me to say that], given the situation?​

スカサハ・Scathach

はは、奇妙なことを言う。
Haha. A strange thing to say.
儂の下に来た時は、お主、既にクー・フーリンであったろうに。
By the time you entered into my tutelage, you were already Cu Chulainn.​

セタンタ・Setanta

あんたがしつこくセタンタ、セタンタ、呼び続けたせいだろうが……。
[I mean], it's probably on account that you insisted on calling me Setanta, Setanta ...
……実際、オレはセタンタだよ。
... I am in fact Setanta.
今はまだ、クー・フーリンを名乗れるような器じゃねえ。
At present, I haven't yet the sort of qualification [that would permit] that I assume the name Cu Chulainn.​

スカサハ・Scathach

殊勝なことだ。どれ、久々に稽古をつけてやる……と言いたいところだが。
An admirable thing [to say]. How about we do a bit of training then, [to make up for lost time] ... or I should like to say, but —
おまえはビーストの側だったな。ならば、うん、殺そう。
You're on the side of the Beast, yes? That being the case — Un, I'll kill you.​

ロクスタ・Locusta

コイツも中身バーサーカーですよぉっ!?
This [lady]'s also a Berserker on the inside!?​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1: ... Well, I mean it's because she's Scathach.
2:強いケルトの人はね……
2: Strong Celts are, you know ...

セタンタ・Setanta

だから、ビーストの仲間になったつもりはねえっつーの。
I've stated before that I haven't any intent to act as a companion to a Beast.
オレはただマスターを守るだけだ。
I'm here merely to protect the Master.​

スカサハ・Scathach

同じことだ、馬鹿者。
It's the same thing, imbecile.
ビースト幼体も、獣の契約者も見過ごすわけにはいかぬ。
I can overlook neither the neonate Beast, nor the Contractor of the Beast.
…… 鏖殺( おうさつ) あるのみよ。
... There [can only be] slaughter.​

セタンタ・Setanta

……………………。
……なあ、師匠。
... Say, Teacher.
こいつは今『人理消滅』よりもヤバいもん背負い込んでいる。
This one's at present shouldering something even worse than 『the Annihilation of the Human Order』.
オレもまだイマイチわかっちゃいねえが……
I also haven't come to fully comprehend it, but ...
汎人類史が懸かってるんだろう?
The Greater History of Man is at stake, yeah?
こいつのカルデアがしくじれば、まるごと消し飛ぶーーー
If this one's Chaldea were to fall, the whole thing would vanish —
他の英霊ならともかく、あんたがそれを理解してないはずが……
Setting aside the way that other Heroic Spirits [would respond], there's no way that you wouldn't comprehend that ...​

スカサハ・Scathach

何だ、そんなことか。
I see. So it was something like that, hm?
ーーー関係ないな。
— It doesn't matter.​

ドラコー・Draco

……ッ! 貴様……
... -h! You ...​

セタンタ・Setanta

おいおい、師匠。なに言ってやが……
Oi oi, Teacher. What are you saying ...​

スカサハ・Scathach

おまえこそ何を言っている?
What are you saying?
汎人類史の敗北。地球の白紙化。
The defeat of the Greater History of Man. The rendering of the Earth to tabula rasa.
なるほど、確かに大事だ。
I see. That's indeed something.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:(……やっぱり)
1: (... as expected,)
2:(全部知ってるんだ)
2: (she knew everything.)

スカサハ・Scathach

だがな、セタンタ。
However, Setanta.
それがどうしたというのだ( ・・・・・・・・・・・・)
What of it?

セタンタ・Setanta

……何だと?
... what?​

スカサハ・Scathach

それは獣の契約者ーーーそやつと、その世界を生きる者が向き合うべき試練。
That would be a trial that must be faced by the Contractor of the Beast — by her and those who subsist within her World.
英霊がーーー死者の夢如きが、背負って良いものではない。
It's nothing that ought to be shouldered by a Heroic Spirit — by the likes of a dream of the dead.
この螺旋証明世界に喚ばれた私は、ただビーストⅥを殺すためだけの装置。
I who was called forth unto this Spiral Substantiation World am as a device purposed solely to the slaying of Beast VI.
その末路など、私の知るところではない。
[The Contractor]'s fate and so forth are not for me to know.
サーヴァントとはそういうものだろう。
Is that not [the way of things] with Servants?​

セタンタ・Setanta

ーーーーーー。​

スカサハ・Scathach

それに、な。セタンタよ。
Furthermore, Setanta.
たかが世界の終わり( ・・・・・・・・・)
It's just an end of the World.
大して珍しいものでもあるまいに。
Not even something [terribly] unusual.​

セタンタ・Setanta

……なるほどな。こういうことか。
... I see. So that's how it is.
スカサハ、あんた確かにサーヴァントだ。
Scathach. It's indeed the case that you're a Servant.
サーヴァントのあんたなんて、本来はあり得ないはずだからな。
Even that you as a Servant was originally something that shouldn't have been —
確かに、スカサハだ。
Indeed, you are Scathach.
でも、スカサハじゃない。
However, you [also] aren't.
最下層に湧いたのと同じ……ただの影だ。
You're the same as [those things] that come forth on the bottom-most floor ... merely a shadow.​

スカサハ・Scathach

それはおまえもだ、馬鹿弟子よ。
It's the same for you, idiot student [mine].
おまえが今抱いている、その熱、 ( たぎ) り、殺意。
That what you presently carry — that passion ( ( netsu) , lit. "heat"); that wrath ( 滾り( tagiri) , "seething / boiling"); that killing intent.
すべて過去の ( ゆが) んだ投影であることを知れ。
Comprehend that all [of that] is as a distorted projection of the past.
でなくば、おまえは道を ( たが) えるぞ。
Should you not, you'll stray from your path.
死者の 過去( ゆめ) で、生者の 理想( ゆめ) ( けが) す。
By the past( dreams) of the deceased shall the ideals( dreams) of the living be defiled.​

ドラコー・Draco

………………。​

セタンタ・Setanta

ーーーーーーーーー。
……はぁぁぁぁぁ~~~~~っ
... haa~​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……セタンタ?
1: ... Setanta?

セタンタ・Setanta

全然わっかんねえですねえ!
You don't get it at all, do you?
ババアと違って、オレ、まだガキなんで!
Unlike you, old woman, I'm still a brat!
サーヴァントとはそういうもの!?
That's the way of things for Servants!?
先なんて知ったこっちゃねえ、だと!?
What lies ahead isn't for us to know, you say!?
だったら、どうして 英霊( オレ) たちは! 理を超えて! 奇跡さえ起こして!
If that's the case, why is it that Heroic Spirits( we) ! Surmount laws!? Even bring forth miracles!?
どうして! マスター( あいつ) の下に集ったんだよ!
Why is it! That we gather under the Master( her) !?​

ドラコー・Draco

セタンタ、おまえ……
Setanta, you ...​

セタンタ・Setanta

英霊( サーヴァント) の理屈に収まる程度の器なら!
If I be qualified only to the point of being constrained within the rationalities of a Heroic Spirit( Servant) !
オレは英雄になんぞなれやしねえ!
I [haven't any interest] in becoming something [along the lines of] a Hero.​

スカサハ・Scathach

……呆れた。流石の儂も呆れ果てたぞ。
... [enough]. Even one [so patient] as I [am left without words].
あまりにも未熟。あまりにも幼稚。
You're far too immature. Far too childish.
斯様( かよう) な拙さで、世界を相手に吠えるのか。
By such a manner of foolishness, you would so bark, taking the World as your opponent?
セタンタよ。お主、まだまだケルトが練れておらぬな。
O Setanta. It would seem that you've yet to polish your Celtique.​

ロクスタ・Locusta

ケルトを……練る?
Polish his ... Celtique?​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

1: ... I mean, it's Scathach.

ロクスタ・Locusta

そっかー。ケルティック・スカサハかぁー。
I see~. Celtic Scathach, huh?​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

2:『ローマ!』みたいなものかと
2: I suppose it's something along the lines of 『Roma!』

ドラコー&ロクスタ・Draco & Locusta

『一緒にするな』『いっしょにすんじゃねえですよ』
『Don't compare us.』『That ain't something comparable.』​

-

スカサハ・Scathach

だが、うむ。そうか。
But, umu. I see.
ーーーそれでこそ、セタンタというもの。
— It is per this that you are the one called as Setanta.​
Setanta

— It's Scathach.​

Scathach

Umu? Aah, you've come, hm?​

Setanta

... ou. Or rather, ussu, Teacher.
It's me, Setanta. Long time no see ... Is it okay [for me to say that], given the situation?​

Scathach

Haha. A strange thing to say.
By the time you entered into my tutelage, you were already Cu Chulainn.​

Setanta

[I mean], it's probably on account that you insisted on calling me Setanta, Setanta ...
... I am in fact Setanta.
At present, I haven't yet the sort of qualification [that would permit] that I assume the name Cu Chulainn.​

Scathach

An admirable thing [to say]. How about we do a bit of training then, [to make up for lost time] ... or I should like to say, but —
You're on the side of the Beast, yes? That being the case — Un, I'll kill you.​

Locusta

This [lady]'s also a Berserker on the inside!?​

Gudako

1: ... Well, I mean it's because she's Scathach.
2: Strong Celts are, you know ...

Setanta

I've stated before that I haven't any intent to act as a companion to a Beast.
I'm here merely to protect the Master.​

Scathach

It's the same thing, imbecile.
I can overlook neither the neonate Beast, nor the Contractor of the Beast.
... There [can only be] slaughter.​

Setanta

……………………。
... Say, Teacher.
This one's at present shouldering something even worse than 『the Annihilation of the Human Order』.
I also haven't come to fully comprehend it, but ...
The Greater History of Man is at stake, yeah?
If this one's Chaldea were to fall, the whole thing would vanish —
Setting aside the way that other Heroic Spirits [would respond], there's no way that you wouldn't comprehend that ...​

Scathach

I see. So it was something like that, hm?
— It doesn't matter.​

Draco

... -h! You ...​

Setanta

Oi oi, Teacher. What are you saying ...​

Scathach

What are you saying?
The defeat of the Greater History of Man. The rendering of the Earth to tabula rasa.
I see. That's indeed something.​

Gudako

1: (... as expected,)
2: (she knew everything.)

Scathach

However, Setanta.
What of it?

Setanta

... what?​

Scathach

That would be a trial that must be faced by the Contractor of the Beast — by her and those who subsist within her World.
It's nothing that ought to be shouldered by a Heroic Spirit — by the likes of a dream of the dead.
I who was called forth unto this Spiral Substantiation World am as a device purposed solely to the slaying of Beast VI.
[The Contractor]'s fate and so forth are not for me to know.
Is that not [the way of things] with Servants?​

Setanta

ーーーーーー。​

Scathach

Furthermore, Setanta.
It's just an end of the World.
Not even something [terribly] unusual.​

Setanta

... I see. So that's how it is.
Scathach. It's indeed the case that you're a Servant.
Even that you as a Servant was originally something that shouldn't have been —
Indeed, you are Scathach.
However, you [also] aren't.
You're the same as [those things] that come forth on the bottom-most floor ... merely a shadow.​

Scathach

It's the same for you, idiot student [mine].
That what you presently carry — that passion; that wrath; that killing intent.
Comprehend that all [of that] is as a distorted projection of the past.
Should you not, you'll stray from your path.
By the past( dreams) of the deceased shall the ideals( dreams) of the living be defiled.​

Draco

………………。​

Setanta

ーーーーーーーーー。
... haa~​

Gudako

1: ... Setanta?

Setanta

You don't get it at all, do you?
Unlike you, old woman, I'm still a brat!
That's the way of things for Servants!?
What lies ahead isn't for us to know, you say!?
If that's the case, why is it that Heroic Spirits( we) ! Surmount laws!? Even bring forth miracles!?
Why is it! That we gather under the Master( her) !?​

Draco

Setanta, you ...​

Setanta

If I be qualified only to the point of being constrained within the rationalities of a Heroic Spirit( Servant) !
I [haven't any interest] in becoming something [along the lines of] a Hero.​

Scathach

... [enough]. Even one [so patient] as I [am left without words].
You're far too immature. Far too childish.
By such a manner of foolishness, you would so bark, taking the World as your opponent?
O Setanta. It would seem that you've yet to polish your Celtique.​

Locusta

Polish his ... Celtique?​

-

Gudako

1: ... I mean, it's Scathach.

Locusta

I see~. Celtic Scathach, huh?​

-

Gudako

2: I suppose it's something along the lines of 『Roma!』

Draco & Locusta

『Don't compare us.』『That ain't something comparable.』​

-

Scathach

But, umu. I see.
— It is per this that you are the one called as Setanta.​

Arriving in the final area of the 5th Singularity in the Spiral Substantiation World ( 螺旋( Rasen) 証明( Shoumei) 世界( Sekai) ), Guda's party encounters a version of Scathach.
Setanta — who in fact isn't precisely Cu Chulainn in his youth, but an "arrangement" of elements and attributes from various points in his life, summoned to a Saber Saint Graph — greets Scathach, but receives in response a declaration that as he's ostensibly sided with Beast VI, she will slay him.

Setanta explains that he hasn't any intention to side with the Beast, and is present only in the capacity of acting as a bodyguard to Guda.
However, as Guda is at this point "the Contractor of the Beast," Scathach dismisses his claim as grounds to stay her hand.

Attempting again to communicate, Setanta explains that Guda is at present shouldering something even worse than "the Annihilation of the Human Order" ( 人理( Jinri) 消滅( Shoumetsu) ) — that if Guda's Chaldea were to fall, the entirety of the Greater History of Man could vanish.
In light of this, protecting Guda should be top priority.

Revealing that she does in fact comprehend the circumstances Guda is facing outside the context of the Spiral Substantiation World, Scathach again refuses to see things as Setanta asserts, asking him, "What of it?" as "It's just an end of the World."
Elaborating, she gives that the crisis Guda is facing is a trial for her and the inhabitants of her World — "nothing that ought to be shouldered by a Heroic Spirit — by the likes of a dream of the dead."
Guda's fate is "not for me to know," she says. "This is just the way of things for Servants."
That is, it isn't a Servant's place to dictate the fate of the humans alive in the current era.

Setanta concludes that the Scathach before him has arrived upon this stance precisely because she isn't the actual Scathach.
Rather, as it would normally be impossible for the real Scathach to become a Servant, he mentally classifies her as the same sort of existence as the things proliferating on the bottom floor of the Spiral Substantiation World — "merely a shadow."

Scathach replies that Setanta is the same.
The passion; the wrath; the killing intent that he presently exhibits are nothing but a distorted projection of the past, which threatens to defile the dreams / ideals of the living.

Fed up with Scathach's arguments, Setanta declares that unlike her, he's still a brat.
Questioning her claim that "what lies ahead for living humans isn't for Servants to know," and that "that's just the way of things for Servants," he asks her why it is that Heroic Spirits even surmount laws and bring forth miracles?
Why is it that Heroic Spirits would gather under a Master?

Setanta declares that if he's qualified only to be bound within the rationalities to which Servants / Heroic Spirits are subject, he hasn't any interest in becoming a Hero.
Hearing this, Scathach becomes fed up, and declares her intent to engage him in combat.

Lilim-Harlot said:
スカサハ・Scathach

まだだ!​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……いけない!
2:スカサハがゲイ・ボルクを!

セタンタ・Setanta

いいや!これで……終わりだぁぁぁ!​

スカサハ・Scathach

セタンタァァァァァァァ!​

スカサハ・Scathach

……ふむ。ほほぅ、これは……
クー・フーリンのおまえにならともかく、まさかセタンタ、お主に ( ) られるとはな。​

セタンタ・Setanta

未来のオレ( クー・フーリン) なんざ知ったことか。オレの未来はオレのものだ。
だからオレはいつかーーー本物のあんただって殺してみせるさ。​

スカサハ・Scathach

ーーーーーーーーー。
……そうか。​

セタンタ・Setanta

………………。
終わったぜ、マスター。​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……お疲れ様
2:ありがとう、セタンタ

セタンタ・Setanta

……なあ、マスター。
サーヴァントってのは変な感じだな。
オレは自分がクー・フーリンだってわかってる。
クー・フーリンがどんな風に生きて、どんな末路を遂げるかを知ってる。
この剣だって、もっとずっと先のオレが使ってたヤツだしな。
ーーーでもな、それでもオレは、何も知らねえし、何もわかっちゃいねえ。
だってオレは、まだ何も成し遂げちゃいないんだぜ?​

ドラコー・Draco

……死者の夢が 未来( ゆめ) を語るか。​

セタンタ・Setanta

ああ、オレは自分が死人だなんて、ちっとも思ってねえからな。
だいたいこのオレが、メイヴ……だっけ?そんな女に殺されるワケねえだろ。​

ドラコー・Draco

……ふん。​
スカサハ・Scathach

まだだ!
It isn't over!​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……いけない!
1: ... not good!
2:スカサハがゲイ・ボルクを!
2: Have to do something about Scathach's Gae Bolg!

セタンタ・Setanta

いいや!これで……終わりだぁぁぁ!
No! With this ... it's over!​

スカサハ・Scathach

セタンタァァァァァァァ!
Setantaaaaaaa!​

スカサハ・Scathach

……ふむ。ほほぅ、これは……
... humu. Hohou, this would be ...
クー・フーリンのおまえにならともかく、まさかセタンタ、お主に ( ) られるとはな。
Setting aside the you who are Cu Chulainn, to think that Setanta — that you would slay me.​

セタンタ・Setanta

未来のオレ( クー・フーリン) なんざ知ったことか。
As if I'd know anything of the future me( Cu Chulainn) .
オレの未来はオレのものだ。
My future belongs to me.
だからオレはいつかーーー本物のあんただって殺してみせるさ。
Therefore, someday — I'll show you that I can even kill the real you.​

スカサハ・Scathach

ーーーーーーーーー。
……そうか。
... I see.​

セタンタ・Setanta

………………。
終わったぜ、マスター。
It's done, Master.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……お疲れ様
1: ... good work.
2:ありがとう、セタンタ
2: Thank you, Setanta.

セタンタ・Setanta

……なあ、マスター。
... naa, Master.
サーヴァントってのは変な感じだな。
It feels kinda weird being a Servant.
オレは自分がクー・フーリンだってわかってる。
I know that I'm Cu Chulainn.
クー・フーリンがどんな風に生きて、どんな末路を遂げるかを知ってる。
I know the manner of life he led, and the manner of fate he arrived upon.
この剣だって、もっとずっと先のオレが使ってたヤツだしな。
Even this sword is something I used further off [into the future].
ーーーでもな、それでもオレは、何も知らねえし、何もわかっちゃいねえ。
— but you know? Regardless that that's the case, I know nothing, and I comprehend nothing.
だってオレは、まだ何も成し遂げちゃいないんだぜ?
Because, you know, I haven't accomplished anything yet.​

ドラコー・Draco

……死者の夢が 未来( ゆめ) を語るか。
... a dream of the deceased speaks of the future( dreams) , hm?​

セタンタ・Setanta

ああ、オレは自分が死人だなんて、ちっとも思ってねえからな。
Aah, because I don't in the slightest think of myself as somebody deceased.
だいたいこのオレが、メイヴ……だっけ?
In the first place, this ... Medb, was it?
そんな女に殺されるワケねえだろ。
There's no way a chick like that could kill me, yeah?​

ドラコー・Draco

……ふん。
... hn.​
Scathach

It isn't over!​

Gudako

1: ... not good!
2: Have to do something about Scathach's Gae Bolg!

Setanta

No! With this ... it's over!​

Scathach

Setantaaaaaaa!​

Scathach

... humu. Hohou, this would be ...
Setting aside the you who are Cu Chulainn, to think that Setanta — that you would slay me.​

Setanta

As if I'd know anything of the future me( Cu Chulainn) .
My future belongs to me.
Therefore, someday — I'll show you that I can even kill the real you.​

Scathach

ーーーーーーーーー。
... I see.​

Setanta

………………。
It's done, Master.​

Gudako

1: ... good work.
2: Thank you, Setanta.

Setanta

... naa, Master.
It feels kinda weird being a Servant.
I know that I'm Cu Chulainn.
I know the manner of life he led, and the manner of fate he arrived upon.
Even this sword is something I used further off [into the future].
— but you know? Regardless that that's the case, I know nothing, and I comprehend nothing.
Because, you know, I haven't accomplished anything yet.​

Draco

... a dream of the deceased speaks of the future( dreams) , hm?​

Setanta

Aah, because I don't in the slightest think of myself as somebody deceased.
In the first place, this ... Medb, was it?
There's no way a chick like that could kill me, yeah?​

Draco

... hn.​

Scathach succumbs to her injuries, and expresses surprise that a Setanta that isn't yet Cu Chulainn would be capable of slaying her.
Giving that his future self is irrelevant, Setanta declares that his future belongs to himself alone; that someday, he'll prove that he can slay the real Scathach.

Approaching Guda after Scathach vanishes, Setanta gives that being a Servant feels weird.
Per what we've already heard from other Heroic Spirits with multiple aspects manifested as Servants, Setanta explains that though he's aware of the sort of life Cu Chulainn lived, and the fate that befell him, he feels like he comprehends none of it, specifically because he himself hasn't yet accomplished anything.

Hearing this, Draco remarks: "... a dream of the deceased speaks of the future( dreams) , hm?"

Setanta replies that he doesn't think of himself as deceased. In the first place, the idea that he would be killed by somebody like Medb seems impossible to him.

To rephrase Setanta's response to Scathach in the first part, if it's the case that Servants haven't any say in the fate of the humans alive in the current era, in the first place, what meaning is there in a Servant contracting a Master, or going the extra mile to exceed limits at their Master's summons?

This is a rhetorical question that isn't directly addressed within the event scenario, but might in a broader context pose some implications regarding the meaning inherent to Servants being manifested with consciousness and free will, rather than just mindless slaves to their Masters.
Specifically, even that Servants "ought not to" have any say regarding the fates of the living, the fact that "the dreams of the deceased" can exercise agency at all might bear some fundamental purpose or meaning.

There's a few other bits in Lilim-Harlot relevant to Setanta's character arc, and the discussion of relevant themes, but in the interests of efficiency, let's move on to the conclusion:

Eigetsu Kenpuu-Chou said:
セタンタ・Setanta

ハハッ!修行としちゃあ悪くないぜ!
Haha! As training, this isn't bad at all!
ってなワケで、ここはひとりで充分だ!
That said, one person is enough for this place!
オヤカタサマを頼んだぜ!
I leave the Boss to you!​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

相解( あいわか) った!任せるがいい!
Got it! Leave it to me!​

セタンタ・Setanta

ああ、あとそれからだな。
Aah, and one more thing.​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

?​

セタンタ・Setanta

終わっちまったもんは変えられない( ・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・) とか……
'Things already concluded cannot change,' or so forth ...
つまんねえこと考えるなよ?
Don't be thinking dumb things like that, yeah?​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……!​

セタンタ・Setanta

あんたらは ( ) 此処にいる( ・・・・・)
You lot are present here and now.
やりたいようにやりゃあいいのさ!
If there's something you wanna do, just do it!​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……ああ! 行ってくる!
... aah! I'm off, then!​

Jin Haganeya also wrote the Samurai Remnant crossover event, Eigetsu Kenpuu-Chou.

Yamato Takeru was prior to this scene stressing over the impact that reenactment of record inherently imposed upon a Servant's fate, as such a thing might prevent him from saving Yui Shousetsu from the Waxing Moon Ritual.

Picking up on this, Setanta offers some advice, giving that Takeru shouldn't be thinking dumb / boring things, such as "things already concluded cannot change."
Being as they — Servants — are here and now manifest, they ought to just do what they want.

Ergo, in pursuing actions important to them, a Servant ought not to be bogged down by doubts regarding whether their agency might be curbed or interfered with by bias toward reenactment of record.
We can infer from this the unstated implication that outcomes without the bounds of record might nevertheless fall within reach — perhaps conditional to sufficient commitment.

The above passage ends up being directly referenced during the event finale.

Last edited:
The finale of Jin Haganeya's Eigetsu Kenpuu-Chou, and finding meaning in the face of futility:

Continuing from the previous post, in the finale of Jin Haganeya's Samurai Remnant collaboration event, Eigetsu Kenpuu-Chou, a discussion of "striving in the face of futility," partly in the context of discussing the agency that Servants wield despite being completed existences.

As context, the lead-up to the engagement against the Tree of Fantasy:

肉の 機構( からくり) に宿りし、 仮初( かりそめ) の命。
贋造( がんぞう) された生命。
生の意味など理解しようもない ( はず) の存在。

だが、それ故に問わずにはいられない。
なぜ、とーーー

乱世は、血煙の時代は終わった。
人々は口を揃えてそう云うがーーー
貧しき者は、今日も飢えている。
富める者は、今日も ( わら) っていると云うのに。
生きる ( すべ) を持たぬ者は、世に ( あふ) れ返り。
( デウス) を信ずる者は、生きることすら許されぬ。

……教えてください、 宗意軒( そういけん) 先生。
なぜ、人の世は ( ) くも ( いびつ) なのですか?

( ゆが) みを正すには奇跡に ( すが) るより他はなく。
そして、奇跡はーーー

森宗意軒は、神の愛を信じていた。
森宗意軒は、世の安寧を夢見ていた。

故にこそ、神の国の到来を願った。
約束された王国に ( いびつ) は無く、
其処( そこ) に住まうは無垢なる命。

人造人間( ホムンクルス) 、由井正雪。
( デウス) の国に住まうべき者として 設計( デザイン) された至誠の命。

ーーー 現行人類に成り代わるべき( ・・・・・・・・・・・・) 新人類( ・・・)

無垢なる ( もの) 、正しき ( もの) を無限増殖させーーー
( いびつ) なる ( もの) 一切を駆逐し、世界を理想で埋め尽くす。
これぞ神の国の到来。

( いびつ) 無き、永遠の王国。
( しか) りーーー

森宗意軒は、神の愛を信じていた。
森宗意軒は、世の安寧を夢見ていた。

森宗意軒は、 狂っていた( ・・・・・)

それは ( つい) ぞ叶わなかった理想。
かたちを成さなかった奇跡。

だがーーー 盈月( きせき) は今、 此処( ここ) に在る。
世界に根を張り、 天蓋( ソラ) を衝き、 ( そび) えている。
在り得ざる空想が、 ( ) く在るべき 真実( せかい) へと成り代わろうとしているーーー

丑御前・Ushi-Gozen

然り、然り、然りーーー!
これなるは 血塗( ちぬ) られた 伴天連( バテレン) 妖術の 頂天( いただき)
妖術師、森宗意軒が夢見し狂気の 弥終( いやはて)
英霊( サーヴァント) 、由井正雪の宝具ーーー
五蘊( ごうん) 盛苦( じょうく) 夢幻( むげん) 泡影( ほうよう) 』!​
肉の 機構( からくり) に宿りし、 仮初( かりそめ) の命。
An ephemeral life, what inhabits a structure( machinery) of flesh.
贋造( がんぞう) された生命。
A counterfeited organism.
生の意味など理解しようもない ( はず) の存在。
An existence what ought not to be capable of even comprehending something alike to the meaning of life.

だが、それ故に問わずにはいられない。
However, precisely on this account, she couldn't not ask.
なぜ、とーーー
'Why?' she said —

乱世は、血煙の時代は終わった。
The era of war — of mists of blood — was concluded.
人々は口を揃えてそう云うがーーー
So did the people voice in uniform, but —
貧しき者は、今日も飢えている。
The poor did today as well go hungry.
富める者は、今日も ( わら) っていると云うのに。
Even that the wealthy did today as well make merry.
生きる ( すべ) を持たぬ者は、世に ( あふ) れ返り。
Those absent a means to subsist proliferate the world.
( デウス) を信ずる者は、生きることすら許されぬ。
[And yet], those who hold faith in God( Deus) are permitted not even to live.

……教えてください、 宗意軒( そういけん) 先生。
... Please explain it to me, Souiken-sensei.
なぜ、人の世は ( ) くも ( いびつ) なのですか?
How is it that the world of Men is so distorted?

( ゆが) みを正すには奇跡に ( すが) るより他はなく。
There is no righting the distortions of the world beyond to trust in miracles.
そして、奇跡はーーー
And thereon, miracles are —

森宗意軒は、神の愛を信じていた。
Mori Souiken trusted in the love of God.
森宗意軒は、世の安寧を夢見ていた。
Mori Souiken dreamt of a world at peace.

故にこそ、神の国の到来を願った。
Thus did he wish for the coming of the Kingdom of God.
約束された王国に ( いびつ) は無く、
There was in the promised Kingdom nothing distorted,
其処( そこ) に住まうは無垢なる命。
and those who there dwelt were lives immaculate.

人造人間( ホムンクルス) 、由井正雪。
The artificial human( homunculus) , Yui Shousetsu.
( デウス) の国に住まうべき者として 設計( デザイン) された至誠の命。
A life of sincere devotion, designed in the capacity of one fit to dwell within the Kingdom of God( Deus) .

ーーー 現行人類に成り代わるべき( ・・・・・・・・・・・・) 新人類( ・・・)
— a new humanity, what ought to supplant the humans presently extant.

無垢なる ( もの) 、正しき ( もの) を無限増殖させーーー
[Let that] lives( existences) immaculate; lives( existences) righteous proliferate absent of end —
( いびつ) なる ( もの) 一切を駆逐し、世界を理想で埋め尽くす。
[Let that] those lives( existences) distorted are one and all purged, that by ideals is the World inundated.
これぞ神の国の到来。
Thus does the Kingdom come.

( いびつ) 無き、永遠の王国。
An eternal kingdom, absent of distortion.
( しか) りーーー
Indeed —

森宗意軒は、神の愛を信じていた。
森宗意軒は、世の安寧を夢見ていた。

森宗意軒は、 狂っていた( ・・・・・)
Mori Souiken was insane.

それは ( つい) ぞ叶わなかった理想。
An ideal ultimately unrealized.
かたちを成さなかった奇跡。
A miracle what never came to form.

だがーーー 盈月( きせき) は今、 此処( ここ) に在る。
However — the Eigetsu( a miracle) did here and now exist.
世界に根を張り、 天蓋( ソラ) を衝き、 ( そび) えている。
Extending its roots unto the World; and thrusting itself to the canopy of the heavens( skies) , it towered.
在り得ざる空想が、 ( ) く在るべき 真実( せかい) へと成り代わろうとしているーーー
Thus was an impossible fantasy soon to supplant the truth( World) what ought to be —

丑御前・Ushi-Gozen

然り、然り、然りーーー!
Indeed, indeed, indeed — !
これなるは 血塗( ちぬ) られた 伴天連( バテレン) 妖術の 頂天( いただき)
This becometh the crown [amongst] the youjutsu of the bloodstained Bateren( Padre) !
妖術師、森宗意軒が夢見し狂気の 弥終( いやはて)
The terminus of the madness dreamt by the youjutsu-shi, Mori Souiken!
英霊( サーヴァント) 、由井正雪の宝具ーーー
The Noble Phantasm of the Heroic Spirit( Servant) , Yui Shousetsu —
五蘊( ごうん) 盛苦( じょうく) 夢幻( むげん) 泡影( ほうよう) 』!
『The Five Skandhas Brim of Suffering ( 五蘊( Go'un) 盛苦( Jouku) ) ・ Phantasmagoric Transience ( 夢幻( Mugen) 泡影( Houyou) ; 泡影( Houyou) , lit. "shadows of bubbles")』.​
An ephemeral life, what inhabits a structure( machinery) of flesh.
A counterfeited organism.
An existence what ought not to be capable of even comprehending something alike to the meaning of life.

However, precisely on this account, she couldn't not ask.
'Why?' she said —

The era of war — of mists of blood — was concluded.
So did the people voice in uniform, but —
The poor did today as well go hungry.
Even that the wealthy did today as well make merry.
Those absent a means to subsist proliferate the world.
[And yet], those who hold faith in God( Deus) are permitted not even to live.

... Please explain it to me, Souiken-sensei.
How is it that the world of Men is so distorted?

There is no righting the distortions of the world beyond to trust in miracles.
And thereon, miracles are —

Thus did he wish for the coming of the Kingdom of God.
There was in the promised Kingdom nothing distorted,
and those who there dwelt were lives immaculate.

The artificial human( homunculus) , Yui Shousetsu.
A life of sincere devotion, designed in the capacity of one fit to dwell within the Kingdom of God( Deus) .

— a new humanity, what ought to supplant the humans presently extant.

[Let that] lives( existences) immaculate; lives( existences) righteous proliferate absent of end —
[Let that] those lives( existences) distorted are one and all purged, that by ideals is the World inundated.
Thus does the Kingdom come.

An eternal kingdom, absent of distortion.
Indeed —

Mori Souiken was insane.

An ideal ultimately unrealized.
A miracle what never came to form.

However — the Eigetsu( a miracle) did here and now exist.
Extending its roots unto the World; and thrusting itself to the canopy of the heavens( skies) , it towered.
Thus was an impossible fantasy soon to supplant the truth( World) what ought to be —

Ushi-Gozen

Indeed, indeed, indeed — !
This becometh the crown [amongst] the youjutsu of the bloodstained Bateren( Padre) !
The terminus of the madness dreamt by the youjutsu-shi, Mori Souiken!
The Noble Phantasm of the Heroic Spirit( Servant) , Yui Shousetsu —
『The Five Skandhas Brim of Suffering ・ Phantasmagoric Transience』.​

Yui Shousetsu was a homunculus hybrid derivative of Einzbern designs, created by Mori Souiken, who viewed humanity as fundamentally flawed and sinful, and therefore unbefitting of "the Kingdom of God."
Specifically, she was intended as a prototype to the "immaculate innocents absent of sin" that Mori deemed fit to inhabit the Kingdom; and simultaneously a mechanism that would strive to realize the Kingdom as a Paradise within the earthly realm via a repopulation of the Surface by self-proliferation.
Though it doesn't seem as if Yui herself was consciously aware of the entirety of Mori's plans, she was driven to pursue similar goals both consciously and unconsciously.
Thus, during Samurai Remnant, she sought the Eigetsu / Waxing Moon for the purpose of bringing forth a peaceful utopia absent of class conflict.

In the backstory of the collaboration event, the Count made use of the fact that the Yui Shousetsu that had participated in the Ritual of the Waxing Moon was recorded to the Human Order as a Heroic Spirit, and thus bore certain attributes that had been sublimated and escalated to greater potency as Noble Phantasms — inclusive of the elements intended to realize the ultimate plans of Mori Souiken.
Merging Yui with a Tree of Fantasy, the Count jury rigged it to function as terraformation system that would eventually repopulate the Surface with clones of Yui, bringing about Mori Souiken's Kingdom Come.
However, as this was all just a game to him, and nothing that he truly intended to take seriously, he entrusted the completion of the ritual to Ushi-Gozen, before going forth to prepare "the next stage."

As clarification, note that the Tree of Fantasy is here functionally expression of Yui Shousetsu's Noble Phantasm, 五蘊( Go'un) 盛苦( Jouku) 夢幻( Mugen) 泡影( Houyou) — "The Five Skandhas Brim of Suffering ・ Phantasmagoric Transience."

The five skandhas ( 五蘊( Go'un) ) are in the context of Buddhism elements of the mortal experience or state of being through which desire is ascribed:
  • flesh or physical form
  • sensory experience, derived of flesh
  • apprehension of gestalts perceived through sensation
  • established responses to object associations triggered by apprehended gestalts
  • the consciousness, which qualifies object associations
Buddhism holds desire and the denial of the satiation of desire as the root of suffering; and as such, the skandhas can be understood as a series of pathways through which the conscious mind assigns desires to the human experience of the world.
That being the case, "the Five Skandhas Brim of Suffering" refers to the circumstance whereby suffering is received by a human via the five skandhas.

The second half of the Noble Phantasm's name — 夢幻( Mugen) 泡影( Houyou) — translates as a list of transient things: dreams ( ( mu) ), illusions ( ( gen) ), bubbles ( ( hou) ), and shadows ( ( you) ).
The sequence of the 4 characters are a Buddhist metaphor for the transience of life, but independently, 夢幻( Mugen) refers to fantasy or something phantasmagorical; and 泡影( Houyou) refers to "the shadows of bubbles," whereas bubbles are already transient existences, but the shadows of bubbles are even moreso.

Though Ushi-Gozen describes 五蘊( the Five Skandhas) 盛苦( Brim of Suffering) 夢幻( Phantasmagoric) 泡影( Transience) as a Noble Phantasm that belongs to Yui Shousetsu, it's more accurate to describe the form that it assumes in Eigetsu Kenpuu-Chou as the sublimation of a thaumaturgical mechanism incorporated into Yui by Mori Souiken, which activates irrelevant of Yui's conscious volition, escalated in its standing on account of becoming a Noble Phantasm.
Perhaps it could actually be considered the Noble Phantasm of Mori Souiken?

As to why it is that Mori Souiken, a Kirishitan, developed something whose True Name is couched in the use of Buddhist terminology — presumably, it's an extension of the Kirishitan practice of concealing Christian faith in the trappings of Japanese culture and Buddhism?

Moving on, we enter the first half of the event finale:

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

まずいぞ、伊織……空想樹の魔力が急速に増大しておる!​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

空想樹が完成しようとしているんだ。
このままだと盈月が世界に ( あふ) れ返る……!
ぐだ子ちゃん!空想樹の伐採を早く!​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

あれを斬れると云ったな、セイバー。
空想樹を…… 盈月( ねがい) 壊し( くだい) てくれ。​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

………………。
……ユイ。
………………。​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

どうしたのじゃ、セイバー?
……あまり悠長に構えている ( いとま) はないぞ。​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:タケル?
2:………………

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

カルデアのマスター。頼みがある。​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……セイバー?​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

私は……
……………………。​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:大丈夫。話して

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……ありがとう。
イオリに、お爺さんも聞いてくれ。
私は、ユイを助けたい。​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

2:ーーー正雪を助けよう

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

!きみって奴は……
ーーーありがとう。​

-

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

正雪を助けるじゃと?だがな、セイバー……​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

これは、弱さ。ただの余分だ。​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

…………。​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

だが私は、今のユイを……世界の贄となる彼女を見過ごせない。
見捨てられないのだ。今の、この私は。​

ゴルドルフ・Gordorf

気持ちはわかるが……​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

うむ……気持ちは ( わか) る。
だが正雪はもう……ああなってしまったからには……​

???

ーーー無意味なことだ。​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

キミは……​

ゴルドルフ・Gordorf

( はぐ) れのルーラーだと?今頃になって何を……​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……無意味とは、どう云うことだ?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

( わか) っている ( はず) だ。
あれは貴方の知る由井正雪ではない。
由井正雪だったものの、成れの果てだ。​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……盈月に取り込まれた者は救えぬと?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

ーーーより本質的なことだ。
貴方たちは、死人だ。終わってしまった者たちだ。​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

………………。​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

終わったものは、変えられない。もう二度と。
由井正雪の 生涯( いのち) は終わっているのだ。
あそこにあるのは、ただの 残影( むくろ)
英霊とはそう云うものだ。
水面( みなも) に映る月に過ぎぬ。
異なる場所で現界すれば、彼女は再び 理想( ゆめ) を求め、徒労を重ねることだろう。
その救いに意味は無い。
何の意味も、無い。​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

それは……​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:意味はあるよ

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……ぐだ子?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

……ほう。​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:終わってしまっても
2:何も残らなくても

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:ーーー意味はある

マシュ・Mashu

……はい。その通りです、先輩。
わたしたちの……カルデアの戦いがそれを証明する旅であることをーーー
……わたしは願い、信じます。​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……そうだな。
セタンタにも云われたことだ。
カルデアのマスター!
本当に、きみって奴は……!
ーーーこれが私の答えだ、ルーラー。
私はユイを助ける。
その想いが、ただの余分に過ぎなくとも。
余分を抱えるのが、今の、この私なのだ。​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

セイバー。
おまえの願いは、人として正しき道だ。
まさに選ぶべき結末だ。
ならば、俺も共に行こう。​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

ふぉっふぉ。無論、儂もついておるぞい。​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……イオリ。​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

……答えは、得たか。​

ゴルドルフ・Gordorf

だが……助けるにしてもどうすれば……?​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

いけない……もう時間がない!
今すぐにでも空想樹を止めないと、助けるどころじゃなくなるよ!​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

うむ! 悩むのは後じゃ。今は空想樹を……
ぬおおおお!何じゃ、何じゃあ!?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

ナマ・サマンタ・ブッダーナーン・バハ。​

マシュ・Mashu

空に……巨大な光の車輪が……​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

恐れるな。私がいる。​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

…… ( はぐ) れのルーラー、これはキミの宝具かい?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

私は覚者のように悟れないが、人を守ることはできる。
ーーー我が真名、アショカ王。
ーーー 盈月( じごく) に囚われし魂を見届けるため、現界した。​

アショカ王・King Ashoka

貴方たちの答えの先が、私の見届けるべきものだろう。​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

アショカ王!じゃあルーラー、キミの正体は 転輪聖王( てんりんじょうおう) ってことか!
古代インドにおける理想の王。仏法の守護者。
つまりあの宝具、いや大宝具は天の車輪……チャクラ・ヴァルティンということか!​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……流石に驚いた。よもや転輪聖王とは。​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

英雄英傑のみならず、仏尊に近き者さえ英霊と成るか……!​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

ほう。テンリンジョウオウ。​

アショカ王・King Ashoka

……霊基にて顕れし身なれば、 ( はぐ) れのサーヴァントが一騎に過ぎぬ。
だが、 衆生( しゅじょう) を救うーーー
その願いは決して変わることはない。
空想樹は私がこの地に留めよう。
貴方たちは、往くが良い。
盈月の内に、由井正雪の本体は囚われている。
往きて、その手を取るのだ。
ーーー地獄を往く者よ。
ーーーその願いに、光あれ。​

マシュ・Mashu

空想樹の増殖、止まりました!行けます、先輩!​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

行くぞ、セイバー。正雪を助けに。​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

ああ……ふたりとも、力を貸してくれ。​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:もちろん!
2:行こう! みんなで!

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

汝、月の輝きに惑うものーーー
その 迷い( ねがい) 、我が一刀にて断ち切らん!​
紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

まずいぞ、伊織……空想樹の魔力が急速に増大しておる!
This is bad, Iori ... the mana of the Tree of Fantasy is rapidly escalating!​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

空想樹が完成しようとしているんだ。
The Tree of Fantasy is about to be completed.
このままだと盈月が世界に ( あふ) れ返る……!
At this rate, the Eigetsu will flood the World ... !
ぐだ子ちゃん!空想樹の伐採を早く!
Gudako-chan! We need to hurry with the felling of the Tree of Fantasy!​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

あれを斬れると云ったな、セイバー。
You stated you could cut that down, Saber.
空想樹を…… 盈月( ねがい) 壊し( くだい) てくれ。
Please, destroy( shatter) the Tree of Fantasy ... [break] the Eigetsu( that wish) .​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

………………。
……ユイ。
... Yui.
………………。​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

どうしたのじゃ、セイバー?
What is it, Saber?
……あまり悠長に構えている ( いとま) はないぞ。
... we haven't much leisure to dally.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:タケル?
1: Takeru?
2:………………
2: ...

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

カルデアのマスター。頼みがある。
Master of Chaldea. I have a request.​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……セイバー?
... Saber?​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

私は……
I ...
……………………。​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:大丈夫。話して
1: It's fine. Just speak.

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……ありがとう。
... Thank you.
イオリに、お爺さんも聞いてくれ。
Gramps and Iori as well. Please hear me out.
私は、ユイを助けたい。
I'd like to save Yui.​

-

ぐだ子・Gudako

2:ーーー正雪を助けよう
2: — Let's save Shousetsu.

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

!きみって奴は……
! You really are a ...
ーーーありがとう。
— Thank you.​

-

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

正雪を助けるじゃと?だがな、セイバー……
You'd like to save Shousetsu, you say? But Saber ...​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

これは、弱さ。ただの余分だ。
This is weakness. Merely an excess.​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

…………。​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

だが私は、今のユイを……世界の贄となる彼女を見過ごせない。
However, Yui as she is at present ... I cannot overlook the matter of her becoming a sacrifice of the World.
見捨てられないのだ。今の、この私は。
I cannot abandon her. In this moment, the me here present [cannot do that].​

ゴルドルフ・Gordorf

気持ちはわかるが……
I understand how you feel, but ...​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

うむ……気持ちは ( わか) る。
Umu ... I understand how you feel.
だが正雪はもう……ああなってしまったからには……
However, Shousetsu is already ... Given that she's already arrived at such a state ...​

???

ーーー無意味なことだ。
— a meaningless act.​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

キミは……
You're ...​

ゴルドルフ・Gordorf

( はぐ) れのルーラーだと?今頃になって何を……
Rogue Ruler? What is it that you intend, so late into the ...​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……無意味とは、どう云うことだ?
... what do you mean, meaningless?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

( わか) っている ( はず) だ。
You ought to understand.
あれは貴方の知る由井正雪ではない。
That isn't the Shousetsu known to you.
由井正雪だったものの、成れの果てだ。
It's what remains of that which was formerly Yui Shousetsu.​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……盈月に取り込まれた者は救えぬと?
... is there no salvation for one assimilated unto the Eigetsu?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

ーーーより本質的なことだ。
— I refer to something more fundamental.
貴方たちは、死人だ。終わってしまった者たちだ。
The lot of you are deceased. You've [already] come to conclusion.​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

………………。​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

終わったものは、変えられない。もう二度と。
Concluded existences can vary not. Never again.
由井正雪の 生涯( いのち) は終わっているのだ。
The lifetime( life) of Yui Shousetsu is come to its end.
あそこにあるのは、ただの 残影( むくろ)
That which is there extant is merely an afterimage( a corpse) .
英霊とはそう云うものだ。
Such would be the manner of existence called as Heroic Spirits —
水面( みなも) に映る月に過ぎぬ。
[what are as] little more than the Moon reflected upon the surface of water.
異なる場所で現界すれば、彼女は再び 理想( ゆめ) を求め、徒労を重ねることだろう。
Should she manifest to a different place, she would once again pursue her ideals( dreams) , and the fruitlessness [of your efforts] would so layer to accumulation.
その救いに意味は無い。
Such a salvation is absent of meaning.
何の意味も、無い。
Absent of any meaning at all.​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

それは……
That's ...​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1: There's meaning to it.

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……ぐだ子?
... Gudako?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

……ほう。
... Hou?​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1: Even that it's over.
2: Even that nothing remains.

ぐだ子・Gudako

1: — meaning exists.

マシュ・Mashu

……はい。その通りです、先輩。
... Yes. It's as you say, Senpai.
Our ... Chaldea's battle has been a journey undertaken to substantiate that ...
……わたしは願い、信じます。
... so I wish, and believe.​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……そうだな。
... Indeed.
セタンタにも云われたことだ。
Setanta said the same.
カルデアのマスター!
Master of Chaldea!
本当に、きみって奴は……!
Truly, you're ... !
ーーーこれが私の答えだ、ルーラー。
— this would be my answer, Ruler.
私はユイを助ける。
I shall save Yui.
その想いが、ただの余分に過ぎなくとも。
Even that this sentiment is nothing more than excess —
余分を抱えるのが、今の、この私なのだ。
The one who embraces this excess is the me that is here and now present.​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

セイバー。
Saber.
おまえの願いは、人として正しき道だ。
This wish of yours is [as befits] a human a path appropriate.
まさに選ぶべき結末だ。
Righly, it is the conclusion that ought to be drawn.
ならば、俺も共に行こう。
And that being the case, I'll accompany you.​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

ふぉっふぉ。無論、儂もついておるぞい。
Hoho. As a matter of course, I shall as well.​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

……イオリ。
... Iori.​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

……答えは、得たか。
... You've arrived upon an answer, hm?​

ゴルドルフ・Gordorf

だが……助けるにしてもどうすれば……?
But ... how are we to go about saving her ... ?​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

いけない……もう時間がない!
Not good ... we haven't anymore time!
今すぐにでも空想樹を止めないと、助けるどころじゃなくなるよ!
If we don't halt the Tree of Fantasy right this moment, whether or not we can save her [will be the least of our concerns]!​

紅玉の書・Kougyoku no Sho

うむ! 悩むのは後じゃ。今は空想樹を……
Umu! We can worry about it later. Right now, the Tree of Fantasy must be ...
ぬおおおお!何じゃ、何じゃあ!?
Nuuuu! What? What is this!?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

ナマ・サマンタ・ブッダーナーン・バハ。
Namaḥ samanta buddhānāṃ, Bhaḥ.​

マシュ・Mashu

空に……巨大な光の車輪が……
In the skies ... a great wheel of light is ...​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

恐れるな。私がいる。
Fear not. I am here.​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

…… ( はぐ) れのルーラー、これはキミの宝具かい?
... Rogue Ruler. Is that your Noble Phantasm?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

私は覚者のように悟れないが、人を守ることはできる。
Though unalike to the Enlightened One, I am not come to Awareness, protecting humans is within my capability.
ーーー我が真名、アショカ王。
— Mine True Name be as King Ashoka.
ーーー 盈月( じごく) に囚われし魂を見届けるため、現界した。
— I've come to manifestation to the purpose of assessing the souls entrapped by the Eigetsu( this Hell) .​

アショカ王・King Ashoka

貴方たちの答えの先が、私の見届けるべきものだろう。
That what lies beyond the outcome of your answer is the matter what I ought to ascertain, perhaps.​

ダ・ヴィンチ・da Vinci

アショカ王!じゃあルーラー、キミの正体は 転輪聖王( てんりんじょうおう) ってことか!
King Ashoka! In that case, Ruler — you mean to say that you're the Holy King of the Turning Wheel( Tenrin Jou'ou) ( 転輪( Tenrin) 聖王( Jou'ou) )!?
古代インドにおける理想の王。仏法の守護者。
In the context of Ancient India, the ideal king — the Protector of the Dharma( Dharmapala) ( 仏法( Butsu-hou) , lit. "Buddhist law"; "Dharma," Buddhist teachings).
つまりあの宝具、いや大宝具は天の車輪……チャクラ・ヴァルティンということか!
Which is to say that that Noble Phantasm — Grand Noble Phantasm, rather, is the Wheel of the Heavens ... Chakravartin?​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……流石に驚いた。よもや転輪聖王とは。
... I must say that I'm shocked. To think that you would be the Holy King of the Turning Wheel ...
英雄英傑のみならず、仏尊に近き者さえ英霊と成るか……!
You mean to say that it isn't merely heroes and extraordinary individuals that become as Heroic Spirits, but even those proximate to the Buddha ... !?​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

ほう。テンリンジョウオウ。
Hou. Tenrin Jou'ou.​

アショカ王・King Ashoka

……霊基にて顕れし身なれば、 ( はぐ) れのサーヴァントが一騎に過ぎぬ。
... come unto a flesh what manifests of a Saint Graph, I am nothing more than a rogue Servant.
だが、 衆生( しゅじょう) を救うーーー
However, the salvation of sattva ( 衆生( shujou) , "all manner of life") —
その願いは決して変わることはない。
In this wish, [I am unyieldingly] invariable.
空想樹は私がこの地に留めよう。
I shall stay the Tree of Fantasy upon this land.
貴方たちは、往くが良い。
You may proceed.
盈月の内に、由井正雪の本体は囚われている。
The primary existence of Yui Shousetsu is captured within the Eigetsu.
往きて、その手を取るのだ。
Proceed, and take her hand.
ーーー地獄を往く者よ。
— O thou who advances unto Hell.
ーーーその願いに、光あれ。
— Let thy wish be as light.​

マシュ・Mashu

空想樹の増殖、止まりました!行けます、先輩!
The propagation of the Tree of Fantasy has halted! We can advance, Senpai!​

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

行くぞ、セイバー。正雪を助けに。
Let's go, Saber. To save Shousetsu.​

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

ああ……ふたりとも、力を貸してくれ。
Aah ... the two of you — lend me your strength.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:もちろん!
1: Of course!
2:行こう! みんなで!
2: Let's go! Together!

ヤマトタケル・Yamato Takeru

汝、月の輝きに惑うものーーー
Thou who art bewitched by the light of the Moon —
その 迷い( ねがい) 、我が一刀にて断ち切らん!
Thy mystification( wish) must by mine blade be severed!​
Kougyoku no Sho

This is bad, Iori ... the mana of the Tree of Fantasy is rapidly escalating!​

da Vinci

The Tree of Fantasy is about to be completed.
At this rate, the Eigetsu will flood the World ... !
Gudako-chan! We need to hurry with the felling of the Tree of Fantasy!​

Miyamoto Iori

You stated you could cut that down, Saber.
Please, destroy( shatter) the Tree of Fantasy ... [break] the Eigetsu( that wish) .​

Yamato Takeru

... Yui.
...​

Kougyoku no Sho

What is it, Saber?
... we haven't much leisure to dally.​

Gudako

1: Takeru?
2: ...

Yamato Takeru

Master of Chaldea. I have a request.​

Miyamoto Iori

... Saber?​

Yamato Takeru

I ...
...​

-

Gudako

1: It's fine. Just speak.

Yamato Takeru

... Thank you.
Gramps and Iori as well. Please hear me out.
I'd like to save Yui.​

-

Gudako

2: — Let's save Shousetsu.

Yamato Takeru

! You really are a ...
— Thank you.​

-

Kougyoku no Sho

You'd like to save Shousetsu, you say? But Saber ...​

Yamato Takeru

This is weakness. Merely an excess.​

Miyamoto Iori

...​

Yamato Takeru

However, Yui as she is at present ... I cannot overlook the matter of her becoming a sacrifice of the World.
I cannot abandon her. In this moment, the me here present [cannot do that].​

Gordorf

I understand how you feel, but ...​

Kougyoku no Sho

Umu ... I understand how you feel.
However, Shousetsu is already ... Given that she's already arrived at such a state ...​

???

— a meaningless act.​

da Vinci

You're ...​

Gordorf

Rogue Ruler? What is it that you intend, so late into the ...​

Yamato Takeru

... what do you mean, meaningless?​

Rogue Ruler

You ought to understand.
That isn't the Shousetsu known to you.
It's what remains of that which was formerly Yui Shousetsu.​

Miyamoto Iori

... is there no salvation for one assimilated unto the Eigetsu?​

Rogue Ruler

— I refer to something more fundamental.
The lot of you are deceased. You've [already] come to conclusion.​

Miyamoto Iori

...​

Rogue Ruler

Concluded existences can vary not. Never again.
The lifetime( life) of Yui Shousetsu is come to its end.
That which is there extant is merely an afterimage( a corpse) .
Such would be the manner of existence called as Heroic Spirits —
[what are as] little more than the Moon reflected upon the surface of water.
Should she manifest to a different place, she would once again pursue her ideals( dreams) , and the fruitlessness [of your efforts] would so layer to accumulation.
Such a salvation is absent of meaning.
Absent of any meaning at all.​

Yamato Takeru

That's ...​

Gudako

Miyamoto Iori

... Gudako?​

Rogue Ruler

... Hou?​

Gudako

Gudako

Mashu

Yamato Takeru

... Indeed.
Setanta said the same.
Master of Chaldea!
Truly, you're ... !
— this would be my answer, Ruler.
I shall save Yui.
Even that this sentiment is nothing more than excess —
The one who embraces this excess is the me that is here and now present.​

Miyamoto Iori

Saber.
This wish of yours is [as befits] a human a path appropriate.
Righly, it is the conclusion that ought to be drawn.
And that being the case, I'll accompany you.​

Kougyoku no Sho

Hoho. As a matter of course, I shall as well.​

Yamato Takeru

... Iori.​

Rogue Ruler

... You've arrived upon an answer, hm?​

Gordorf

But ... how are we to go about saving her ... ?​

da Vinci

Not good ... we haven't anymore time!
If we don't halt the Tree of Fantasy right this moment, whether or not we can save her [will be the least of our concerns]!​

Kougyoku no Sho

Umu! We can worry about it later. Right now, the Tree of Fantasy must be ...
Nuuuu! What? What is this!?​

Rogue Ruler

Namaḥ samanta buddhānāṃ, Bhaḥ.​

Mashu

In the skies ... a great wheel of light is ...​

Rogue Ruler

Fear not. I am here.​

da Vinci

... Rogue Ruler. Is that your Noble Phantasm?​

Rogue Ruler

Though unalike to the Enlightened One, I am not come to Awareness, protecting humans is within my capability.
— Mine True Name be as King Ashoka.
— I've come to manifestation to the purpose of assessing the souls entrapped by the Eigetsu( this Hell) .​

King Ashoka

That what lies beyond the outcome of your answer is the matter what I ought to ascertain, perhaps.​

da Vinci

King Ashoka! In that case, Ruler — you mean to say that you're the Holy King of the Turning Wheel( Tenrin Jou'ou) !?
In the context of Ancient India, the ideal king — the Protector of the Dharma( Dharmapala) .
Which is to say that that Noble Phantasm — Grand Noble Phantasm, rather, is the Wheel of the Heavens ... Chakravartin?​

Miyamoto Iori

... I must say that I'm shocked. To think that you would be the Holy King of the Turning Wheel ...
You mean to say that it isn't merely heroes and extraordinary individuals that become as Heroic Spirits, but even those proximate to the Buddha ... !?​

Yamato Takeru

Hou. Tenrin Jou'ou.​

King Ashoka

... come unto a flesh what manifests of a Saint Graph, I am nothing more than a rogue Servant.
However, the salvation of sattva —
In this wish, [I am unyieldingly] invariable.
I shall stay the Tree of Fantasy upon this land.
You may proceed.
The primary existence of Yui Shousetsu is captured within the Eigetsu.
Proceed, and take her hand.

Mashu

The propagation of the Tree of Fantasy has halted! We can advance, Senpai!​

Miyamoto Iori

Let's go, Saber. To save Shousetsu.​

Yamato Takeru

Aah ... the two of you — lend me your strength.​

Gudako

1: Of course!
2: Let's go! Together!

Yamato Takeru

Thou who art bewitched by the light of the Moon —
Thy mystification( wish) must by mine blade be severed!​

Faced with the imminent completion of the Tree of Fantasy, da Vinci calls for Guda's party to act quickly, as the Eigetsu might soon come to proliferate across the World.
As Yamato Takeru previously stated that he could sever the Tree, Iori urges him to do so.
However, Takeru here hesitates, voicing his desire to save Yui Shousetsu.

"This is weakness," he says. "Merely an excess."
If the terminology sounds familiar, it's because he's couching his desire in the word choice Iori utilized in his monologue when training for the Fire Stance in Samurai Remnant:

Samurai Remnant - JP said:
宮本伊織

(ここ数日、俺の出会った脅威)
(世の歴史に刻まれた英霊、サーヴァント。
そして、その主として定められたモノたち)
(いずれ劣らぬ魔人揃い)
(ーーー間違いなく自分以上。勝てぬ)
…………。
あの日( ・・・) 、目にした "剣" に焦がれ)
(二天一流を磨き)
(師を失ってのち、彼の老人と出逢い……)
(紅玉の南蛮外法を得ても尚……)
(俺は、天下一の剣士には程遠い)
(だが……
よもや、このような機会が訪れようとは)
(・・・・・・今こそ、俺は。
"あの日の剣" を超えてみせよう!)
・・・・・・すべてはこの体に。
故に、眼を開け。
目覚めよーーー我が二刀。
ーーー退け、我が余分。
ーーー極限の道のみ求め、
己が全霊を以て、天に ( たてまつ) る。
我は、二天を掴めと定められたる者也。
我は、二天を制すと師父に誓いし者也。
我は、二天の果てに零と無限の螺旋を見出す者也。
我は、我こそはーーー
ーーー二天一流・宮本伊織、也!​
宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

(ここ数日、俺の出会った脅威)
(The threats I've encountered these past several days.)
(世の歴史に刻まれた英霊、サーヴァント。
(The Heroic Spirits engraved upon the History of the World, Servants.
そして、その主として定められたモノたち)
And those who have been appointed in the capacity of their Masters.)
(いずれ劣らぬ魔人揃い)
(All equally formiddable, alike to Majin.)
(ーーー間違いなく自分以上。勝てぬ)
(— unmistakeably superior to myself. I cannot prevail.)
…………。
あの日( ・・・) 、目にした "剣" に焦がれ)
(That day, I was transfixed by the "sword" that I glimpsed.)
(二天一流を磨き)
(I honed [myself in] Niten Ichiryuu.)
(師を失ってのち、 彼の老人と出逢い( ・・・・・・・・) ……)
(Subsequent the death of my master, and my encounter with that old man ...)
(紅玉の南蛮外法を得ても尚……)
(Even subsequent learning from Kougyoku the rites of Nanban, [what fall] without [the path] ...)
(俺は、天下一の剣士には程遠い)
(I yet be far distant from the strongest swordsman under the heavens.)
(だが……
(However ...
よもや、このような機会が訪れようとは)
To think that such an opportunity would present itself.)
(・・・・・・今こそ、俺は。
(... Now is the time.
"あの日の剣" を超えてみせよう!)
I'll surpass "the sword [I glimpsed] that day!")
・・・・・・すべてはこの体に。
... Everything [rests upon] this flesh.
故に、眼を開け。
Therefore, I open my eyes.
目覚めよーーー我が二刀。
Awaken — mine two blades.
ーーー退け、我が余分。
— withdraw, mine excess.
ーーー極限の道のみ求め、
— Seeking only the path of the utmost limit,
己が全霊を以て、天に ( たてまつ) る。
the whole of my soul do I devote to the heavens.
我は、二天を掴めと定められたる者也。
I be the one ordinated to grasp ahold of the Two Heavens( Niten) .
我は、二天を制すと師父に誓いし者也。
I be the one who unto my master ( 師父( shifu) , "master," who acts in the capacity of a father) swore that I would surmount the Two Heavens( Niten) .
我は、二天の果てに零と無限の螺旋を見出す者也。
I be the one who at the ends of the Two Heavens( Niten) discerns the spiral of zero and infinity.
我は、我こそはーーー
I am; I be as —
ーーー二天一流・宮本伊織、也!
— Miyamoto Iori of the Niten Ichiryuu!​
Miyamoto Iori

(The threats I've encountered these past several days.)
(The Heroic Spirits engraved upon the History of the World, Servants.
And those who have been appointed in the capacity of their Masters.)
(All equally formiddable, alike to Majin.)
(— unmistakeably superior to myself. I cannot prevail.)
(That day, I was transfixed by the "sword" that I glimpsed.)
(I honed [myself in] Niten Ichiryuu.)
(Subsequent the death of my master, and my encounter with that old man ...)
(Even subsequent learning from Kougyoku the rites of Nanban, [what fall] without [the path] ...)
(I yet be far distant from the strongest swordsman under the heavens.)
(However ...
To think that such an opportunity would present itself.)
(... Now is the time.
I'll surpass "the sword [I glimpsed] that day!")
... Everything [rests upon] this flesh.
Therefore, I open my eyes.
Awaken — mine two blades.
— withdraw, mine excess.
— Seeking only the path of the utmost limit,
the whole of my soul do I devote to the heavens.
I be the one ordinated to grasp ahold of the Two Heavens( Niten) .
I be the one who unto my master swore that I would surmount the Two Heavens( Niten) .
I be the one who at the ends of the Two Heavens( Niten) discerns the spiral of zero and infinity.
I am; I be as —
— Miyamoto Iori of the Niten Ichiryuu!​

For comparison, the North American localization:

Samurai Remnant - EN Localization said:
Miyamoto Iori

(The threats I've encountered these past few days ...)
(Servants — Heroic Spirits from history — and the ones who serve as their Masters.)
(Each as formidable as the one before.)
(... And all more than a match for me. I don't stand a chance.)
(Spellbound by the swordplay I saw that day ...)
(... I honed my Niten Ichiryu.)
(After I lost my teacher, I met the old man ...)
(Even having received instruction in Red's foreign magic ...)
(... I'm still a far cry from being the greatest swordsman in the land.)
(But I'm certain of what meeting this opportunity must entail.)
(... Now is the time for me to surpass the swordplay I saw that day!)
... Everything rests on this body.
Therefore, I shall awaken.
Unleash ... my dual katana.
... Eliminate ... any excess.
... Seeking the supreme Way, with my whole soul, I devote this to the heavens.
I am one who is destined to grasp the dual katana.
I am one who is sworn to my master, to my father, to reach the two heavens.
I am one who sees the spiral of the void and the infinite at the end of this path.
None but I shall bear the name ——
Miyamoto Iori of Niten Ichiryu!​

Incidentally, "Samurai Remnant" could maybe be rendered in Japanese as ( Samurai) ( no) 余分( Yobun) — "the excess of a samurai."
Subsequent this scene in Entreat the Darkness, it's implied that what Iori cut away here might've been his "kindness."

Returning to the prior passage, if Takeru is to prioritize the salvation of the World, he ought to simply sever the Tree.
Saving Yui Shousetsu seems by this point a futile task that he shouldn't engage in, given that calamity is imminent.
Thus, in the same way that "kindness" was "excess / weakness" to Iori in Entreat the Darkness, saving Yui is at this point something extraneous, which in utilitarian terms shouldn't be something Takeru ought to engage in.

The use of this terminology evokes a silence from Iori, possibly on account that he recognizes himself as the original source.

Here, Rogue Ruler appears, dismissing Takeru's desire to save Yui as meaningless, as the Yui entrapped by the Eigetsu isn't the Yui that Takeru is acquainted with.
Iori presumes that Rogue Ruler is saying that she simply can't be saved, but Rogue Ruler clarifies, saying that he's speaking about something more fundamental.
Being deceased, Servants are concluded existences no longer capable of changing.
Thus, if Yui Shousetsu were to be summoned again in a different context, even absent of any background knowledge on the circumstances behind the present event, it's inevitable that she would act toward the same outcome.
Therefore, he says, it's absent of any meaning at all.

Guda and Mashu reply:

ぐだ子・Gudako

宮本伊織・Miyamoto Iori

……ぐだ子?
... Gudako?​

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

……ほう。
... Hou?​

ぐだ子・Gudako

ぐだ子・Gudako

マシュ・Mashu

……はい。その通りです、先輩。
……わたしは願い、信じます。

As further context, several times prior, when Guda was mistaken for a Master in the Eigetsu no Gi, she was approached regarding her "wish" upon the Eigetsu, but failed to provide an answer.
She likewise doesn't state it outright here, but Mashu does — or at least frames Guda's answer as her wish:
That even if something is over; even that nothing remains, meaning exists in taking action in the face of apparent futility.

This lines up with Nemo's motives during the 7 days 8 years Snow Carol event, and is perhaps the most explicit statement of motive that we've gotten from Guda to date.

In abstract, "striving against futility, where failure is already a decided matter" is one of the running themes of Cosmos in the Lostbelt.
It's what Novum Chaldea has been doing this entire time, fighting their way through the Lostbelts, even though their World was to the best of their knowledge already gone and concluded; even though things were already over, and their loss was apparently confirmed.

Hearing this, Takeru is reminded of the conversation he had with Setanta earlier, which I translated in the previous post:

Setanta

Haha! As training, this isn't bad at all!
That said, one person is enough for this place!
I leave the Boss to you!​

Yamato Takeru

Got it! Leave it to me!​

Setanta

Aah, and one more thing.​

Yamato Takeru

?​

Setanta

'Things already concluded cannot change,' or so forth ...
Don't be thinking dumb things like that, yeah?​

Yamato Takeru

……!​

Setanta

You lot are present here and now.
If there's something you wanna do, just do it!​

Yamato Takeru

... aah! I'm off, then!​

Setanta's challenge against the notion that "completed existences cannot change" inspires Takeru to declare that even if the sentiment he feels is nothing more than excess, it's a sentiment embraced by the him that is "here and now present."

To reiterate, "a Servant ought not to be bogged down by doubts regarding whether their agency might be curbed or interfered with by bias toward reenactment of record," as per the conclusions he's implied to have reached in Lilim-Harlot, even if Servants are merely expressions of engraved record with a bias toward the reenactment of circumstances already established, there must be some meaning in the fact that they can assent to a summons and consciously commit to the decision to go above and beyond on behalf of their Master.

On hearing Takeru's declaration, Iori gives that his wish commits to a path that befits a human, and that he'll therefore accompany him in this endeavor.
Without knowledge of Samurai Remnant, this sounds akin to a "you have my axe" sort of thing per Lord of the Rings; but in context, it's a statement of intent that fundamentally goes against the nature of the Iori from Entreat the Darkness.
There, it's revealed that he only ever pretended to abide by "the Path of Man" to the purpose of maintaining his everyday life in the peacetime of Edo, out of concern for his sister.
Since boyhood, however, the sole objective that he held within his heart was to fight — to further his skills as a swordsman.
To that end, if he's so capable — sufficiently unbound from the things tying him down, as by the Ritual of the Waxing Moon — he'd be happy to turn his back upon "the Path of Man," and take up "the Path of the Shura."

Affirming "the Path of Man" was in short something the Iori of Samurai Remnant only committed to in falsehood — but here, Servant Iori is apparently choosing to affirm it in truth?

Determining that Takeru, Guda, and Iori have arrived upon an answer, Rogue Ruler doesn't quite take back his statement that their intended actions are futile, but opens a path to allow that they attempt to save Yui.
Revealing himself as King Ashoka, he utilizes the Noble Phantasm that he shares with Saver to halt the Tree of Fantasy's realization of Mori Souiken's Kingdom Come.

For reference, Last Encore's World / Word entry on the Noble Phantasm:

Last Encore - World / Word said:
the Holy King of the Heavenly Wheel

Chakra-Vartin.
The Noble Phantasm of Twice's Servant, Saver.
Whereas Saver is from this Universe already departed, his Noble Phantasm does at present operate in accordance to Twice's instructions.
Divided to Greater and Lesser Wheels, whereby the Greater Wheel encompasses SE.RA.PH -- a ring of 70 km in diameter, by which to render destruction.
The Lesser Wheel is a ring of 7 km in diameter, which encompasses only the Cage of the Blazing Skies.
The Lesser Wheel is an interceptive Noble Phantasm, [purposed] to obstruct [any effort] to reach Twice and the Nucleus of the Moon Cell; endowed with bunker busters, in imitation of seven armaments borne by the Martial King -- the Holy King of the Turning Wheel.​

And not my translation, but Extra Material:

Extra Material said:
Chakravartin [noble phantasm]

Turner of the Wheel.
This is Saver's minor Noble Phantasm. It's a weapon based on an implement used by usually unarmed Buddha to defeat their enemies.
Chakravartin (Turner of the Wheel) is the concept of the "ideal universal ruler" that was used in the Vedic period of ancient India.
The weapon Chakravartin is a 7km wide chakram of light that is expanded into the sky above the Buddha. While revolving slowly, it shoots arrows of light at the Servants within its ring.
Think of it as a mobile artillery platform that can shoot in any direction. The ring of light is like a rail that the artillery platform moves along.
The number of rings of light increase each turn, until it has reached the maximum of seven. These seven rings correspond to the seven treasures that the Turner of the Wheel (ruler) possesses.
The rings are reminiscent of rainbows, and at the peak of battle this weapon's ultimate attack "Transmigration Into One" can be activated by calling its true name.
The rings of light combine into one with a clang and the ring starts spinning at high speed. Before long it morphs to resemble the ring that floats behind the Celestial Buddha Variocana, and pillars of light coming from the entire 360 degrees of the ring are focused on the player's Servant, and the convergence, resembling a black hole, causes a huge explosion.
…Well, of course this is a written description that didn't take production costs into consideration in the slightest, so of course it was axed. I guess if you want this level of visuals, you have to do it in an action game.​

As further context, the term Chakravartin is in Sanskrit a title that means "the king of the turning wheel," historically associated with Ashoka the Great, here manifest as Rogue Ruler.
This is rendered in East Asian Buddhism as 転輪( Tenrin) 聖王( Jou'ou) — "the Holy King of the Turning Wheel."

Uttered by Ashoka, the mantra, "Namaḥ samanta buddhānāṃ, Bhaḥ," is apparently an invocation of the name of the Buddha — or more specifically, of 釈迦( Shaka) 如来( Nyorai) , who is in the context of Shingon Buddhism designated as a Nyorai( Tathāgata) .
The meaning of the mantra in Sanskrit is per JP Wikipedia, " Devotion in prayer( Namaḥ) to all( samanta) Buddhas( buddhānāṃ) , Bhaḥ," where "Bhaḥ" is the initial or "seed syllable" of Bhagavat( Exalted One) , a title associated with the Buddha.

That is to say, the Noble Phantasm that Ashoka shares with Saver is also a title ascribed to Ashoka himself, but the incantation / mantra that he uses for it is an invocation of Saver.
da Vinci names him as a protector of the Dharma — ergo, a "dharmapāla" — and identifies the Chakravartin as a 大宝具( Dai-Hougu) — a "Grand Noble Phantasm."
This term has appeared in the game scenario on only a few prior occasions, generally to refer to Kintoki's 摂津( Settsu) ( Shiki) ( Oo) 具足( Gusoku) , and once to refer to Altera's Sword of Mars.

In FGO, the title "dharmapāla" was previously self-proclaimed by Caster Shuten, who referred to herself as a 護法( Gohou) 少女( Shoujo) — a 少女( girl) who 護法( protects the Dharma) .
Somehow, this term was misrendered in the North American localization as 護法( Magifender) 少女( Girl) , perhaps on account that the ( hou) in 護法( Gohou) was mistaken for the ( hou) in 魔法( Mahou) , or "Magic."

Here, Ashoka states, "Fear not. I am here."
Unalike to the Enlightened One ( 覚者( Kakusha) ), he says, he hasn't attained Awareness( Nirvana) , but protecting humans is within his capability.
His objective in coming to manifestation within this Singularity was to the purpose assessing / ascertaining the nature of the souls entrapped by the Eigetsu.
Specifically, he judges that the matter that he ought to be ascertaining is what lies at the outcome of the answer attained by Guda and her party.

To this end, he gives that the primary existence of Yui Shousetsu is entrapped within the Eigetsu, and urges Guda and party to "proceed, and take her hand," saying:

アショカ王・King Ashoka

ーーー地獄を往く者よ。
ーーーその願いに、光あれ。

This is specifically a reference to a conversation he had with Guda during the Digression of their first encounter:

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

そしてーーー 其処( そこ) の貴方。​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:えっ、わたし?

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

その眼、その魂の 色彩( いろ)
地獄巡り( ・・・・) は、一度や二度ではあるまい。
ーーー人が造り出す魂の地獄。
ーーー ( ふる) ( くら) き地獄。
ーーー悪なる者が嘲笑う地獄。
ーーー地を 穿( うが) ( うろ) の地獄。
兎角( とかく) 、地獄には縁があると見える。​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……ッ!?
2:どうしてそれを……?

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

迷いながらも進むがよい。
それがたとえ奈落の底であったとしても、届く輝きはあるのだから。
地獄を往く者よ。
その導きに、光あれ。​
逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

そしてーーー 其処( そこ) の貴方。
And — You over there.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:えっ、わたし?
1: Eh, me?

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

その眼、その魂の 色彩( いろ)
Those eyes. That color of the soul.
地獄巡り( ・・・・) は、一度や二度ではあるまい。
You've embarked upon pilgrimages unto Hell, and not merely once or twice.
ーーー人が造り出す魂の地獄。
— a Hell of souls, built by Men.
ーーー ( ふる) ( くら) き地獄。
— a Hell ancient and dark.
ーーー悪なる者が嘲笑う地獄。
— a Hell wherein a villain laughed in mockery.
ーーー地を 穿( うが) ( うろ) の地獄。
— a Hell whose hollow penetrated the earth.
兎角( とかく) 、地獄には縁があると見える。
It would appear that you've in any case a tie of Nidana ( ( En) ) unto Hell.​

ぐだ子・Gudako

1:……ッ!?
1: ... -h!?
2:どうしてそれを……?
2: How would you know that ... ?

逸れのルーラー・Rogue Ruler

迷いながらも進むがよい。
Let that you advance, even that you harbor misgivings.
それがたとえ奈落の底であったとしても、届く輝きはあるのだから。
For even at the bottom of Naraka ( 奈落( Naraku) , Buddhist Hell, generally translated as "abyss"), there yet exists a light that penetrates.
地獄を往く者よ。
O thou who advances unto Hell.
その導きに、光あれ。
Let thy guidance be as light.​
Rogue Ruler

And — You over there.​

Gudako

1: Eh, me?

Rogue Ruler

Those eyes. That color of the soul.
You've embarked upon pilgrimages unto Hell, and not merely once or twice.
— a Hell of souls, built by Men.
— a Hell ancient and dark.
— a Hell wherein a villain laughed in mockery.
— a Hell whose hollow penetrated the earth.
It would appear that you've in any case a tie of Nidana unto Hell.​

Gudako

1: ... -h!?
2: How would you know that ... ?

Rogue Ruler

Let that you advance, even that you harbor misgivings.
For even at the bottom of Naraka, there yet exists a light that penetrates.
O thou who advances unto Hell.
Let thy guidance be as light.​

While it's hard to say that this is specifically Clairvoyance, note that in Garden of Avalon, Merlin — whose Clairvoyance can only see the present — is able to provide to Artoria a glimpse of the Battle of Camlann.
This is on account that he's apparently capable of doing something along the lines of tracing out the course of Nidana / Karma "extant within the current World" to their outcomes, potentially to view the future, regardless that his Clairvoyance doesn't cover that.
Something similar may be occurring here, with Ashoka tracing a perception of the coloration of Guda's soul to the course of events by which that color came to be?

Incidentally, the Hells named are as follows:
  • a Hell of souls, built by Men - Dantes' Prison Tower
  • a Hell ancient and dark - Ereshkigal's Underworld
  • a Hell wherein a villain laughed in mockery - Heian-Kyo
  • a Hell whose hollow penetrated the earth - LB7
The game assumes that you've completed the Prison Tower event and the 7th Singularity, but performs checks to determine if you've cleared Heian-Kyo and LB7.
I suppose that the Inn of the Sparrows doesn't count as a proper Hell?

In any case, connecting the two scenes, the "wish" that Ashoka acknowledges is the one that specifically belongs to Guda, rather than Takeru — to paraphrase Mashu, a desire "to substantiate that there exists meaning in striving in the face of futility."
Informed by his statements during the earlier digression, Ashoka is asking that Guda makes use of this wish of hers as a guiding light as she advances unto Hell.
Even at the bottom of Naraka ( 奈落( Naraku) ), he says, "there yet exists a light that penetrates."
Given that this scene is at the very end of the event, right before things are about to be resolved, when he invokes the term Hell, it doesn't seem as if he's referring to this singularity in particular.
Ergo, the Hell to which Guda is advancing is whatever follows Ordeal Call I — or more generally, the rest of the main scenario?

TL;DR

Eigetsu Kenpuu-Chou has Guda provide one of the clearest statements of her underlying motive as of Cosmos in the Lostbelt — that she wishes to substantiate the notion that there exists meaning in striving in the face of certain futility.
This coincides with a running theme in Jin Haganeya's contributions to FGO thus far, where he challenges the notion that Servants are incapable of overcoming their nature reenactments of record.

Well just the fact that the records themselves are updated whenever a servant suffers a great change already alludes to that

Meme answer- Medb having Claivoyance (Cheese) EX

Serious answer- Amakusa, sure its because the Amakusa everyone knows is from Apocrypha, but it was still given an in-setting reason for why he is a gyaru

Question If Shirou and Archer's projection lasted indefinitely, why didn't they create a lot of Noble Phantasms and store them so they wouldn't have to use magical energy to create their weapons while fighting?

Question If Shirou and Archer's projection lasted indefinitely, why didn't they create a lot of Noble Phantasms and store them so they wouldn't have to use magical energy to create their weapons while fighting?
Remember that Archer's fighting style when he's fighting Cú, someone superior to him in both physical capabilities and skill, is to rely on the fact that he can be disarmed and rearm himself in an instant without any issue.

Ultimately, projecting a dozen Noble Phantasms and converting them to a portable size is probably a lot more trouble than it's worth compared to just relying on their old reliables and paying the cost if they need something specific in the moment.

Remember that Archer's fighting style when he's fighting Cú, someone superior to him in both physical capabilities and skill, is to rely on the fact that he can be disarmed and rearm himself in an instant without any issue.

Ultimately, projecting a dozen Noble Phantasms and converting them to a portable size is probably a lot more trouble than it's worth compared to just relying on their old reliables and paying the cost if they need something specific in the moment.
What about sniping He can now just pull out that Noble Phantasm without a need of magical energy?

Specific at that time? Just create that object at that moment. I don't see how it would affect what they had previously created.

While Projecting them only has the basic cost of Projection, True Name Release and Broken Phantasm doesn't. Archer's Default Strategies ultimately aren't helped much by Here's One I Made Earlier; for example, he still has to charge up each Hrunting he spams, and ones he made earlier can't be projected into position to save a fraction of time.

What about sniping He can now just pull out that Noble Phantasm without a need of magical energy?

Specific at that time? Just create that object at that moment. I don't see how it would affect what they had previously created.
Archer's sniping tends to take some time, and he doesn't even really like doing it in the first place. Similarly, in situations where he has to snipe, he's often using Caladbolg II as a Broken Phantasm which takes time and extra energy anyway, or he's using Hrunting in which case we know he projects multiple copies as per his battle with Saber in Hollow Ataraxia.

Stepping away from in-universe stuff for a minute, it also effectively changes nothing from a writing perspective. Archer's magical energy isn't a defined thing you need to keep track of constantly, as long as you get the broad strokes of it right. Archer projecting a Noble Phantasm right away in the moment or Archer pulling out a Noble Phantasm he projected two days ago and kept in a quiver or something are the exact same thing in terms of actually writing the story—one is just frankly easier than the other, since you don't have to draw Archer with a quiver with a bunch of different Noble Phantasms in it, and you don't have to explain why Archer isn't constantly projecting Noble Phantasms and turning them into pocket-sized carry-ons.

Even though it doesn't help with time, it does help in saving magical energy. It may help to increase the number of broken phantasms he can shoots.

Even though it doesn't help with time, it does help in saving magical energy.
...No it doesn't? Even ignoring that the savings are logically marginal compared to costs of blowing up a magic sword, he has to pay the cost of projecting one(1) sword either way. And frankly, Squirt's comment on the narrative uselessness of pre-projection for Archer are probably more relevant than optimisation for the spherical Servant in a vacuum.

There's situations where projecting stuff ahead of time could be hax, but they're pretty idiosyncratic - like, if he was teaming up with somebody who can army spam like Hundred Face or Iskander, or a bunch of relative normies like cops or clock tower mooks, projecting stuff ahead of time to equip them with hax weaponry they don't nomally have could be a major force multiplier.

If he's on his own though, not so much.

On Archer sniping I only remember two occasions

Some adaptations of FGO's Fuyuki

And Hollow Ataraxia where he tries sniping Artoria. He does it like half a city away from her and still nearly gets killed for it

Still, I think it's a good idea to create a weapon before rather than create a weapon at that moment. Such as in situations where it is necessary to save magic energy like when he didn't have a master in UBW after defeating Caster if he created a lot of weapon before he defeated Caster he now doesn't need magical energy to project a weapon he only needs to use reinforcement to change the weapon shape to original form. Reinforcement uses lower magical energy than projection, right?

I still don't get why you think it's a good idea over just doing it normally when it raises so much questions. Like, where would he even put these weapons then? And even if there is a place to put them, a shed or something, doesn't he have to go back to get them anyway? And supposing he does, what if he faces a situation requiring another weapon but he doesn't have it on hand, it's back at the storage, wherever it is? Does he now carry a duffelbag with him or something?

At this point, just projecting like he does is way less of a headache.

Still, I think it's a good idea to create a weapon before rather than create a weapon at that moment. Such as in situations where it is necessary to save magic energy like when he didn't have a master in UBW after defeating Caster if he created a lot of weapon before he defeated Caster he now doesn't need magical energy to project a weapon he only needs to use reinforcement to change the weapon shape to original form. Reinforcement uses lower magical energy than projection, right?
As a point of order, I think EMIYA uses Alteration to change the shapes of certain Noble Phantasms, and even then it's not like he's ever displayed the ability to shrink them down to the point that he can carry dozens unless you want him carrying around a bag or quiver - and if he's now gotta carry around a bag and quiver, he has to remain manifested and can't use spiritual form because it's not like the other shit he makes goes into spirit form with him.

Like, at this point even making the assumption that EMIYA can alter the shapes and sizes of Noble Phantasms to the point that he can carry around a dozen or more he's projected prior - without any knowledge of what he might face, so he might just have made a bunch of useless weapons ahead of time since using their True Name or a Broken Phantasm would still require more magical energy - we're left with an EMIYA that might be eating up more magical energy anyway because he has to remain manifested to haul around all his stuff. That's also setting aside the point I made about the writing, where it doesn't matter at all to the story if EMIYA carries around his weapons or projects them immediately, and projecting them is a cleaner, neater solution.

It's just not really viable for a bunch of reasons if you want to look at it in-universe, and it's not valuable for writing out of universe unless you're trying to turn EMIYA into meme Batman with prep-time.

You know what we don't talk about often on here? Himuro no Tenchi, or Fate/school life.

It's a long-running spinoff! It has been around since 2006! Yes, it has never been translated either officially or "officially", so how would anyone know, but that's no excuse!

Thankfully, Comun on the Beast Lair forums explained what was up with HimuTen, because a lot of it is, for some unfathomable reason, relevant to Fate/strange Fake's timeline.

I'm sure this comedic slice-of-life manga doesn't have a very strange lore:
HimuTen said:
Ok, I have time now. Here's what the general deal with HimuTen is. Himuro no Tenchi is a yonkoma manga starring the normal girls of the track trio + Mitsuzuri, and the much less normal Sajou Ayaka from Fate/Prototype. As the "Fate/school life" subtitle implies, it's wholly slice-of-life, featuring its cast involved in everyday situations, the many original games they play, and supernatural shenanigans that they don't realize are supernatural thanks to Rin or Ayaka cleaning things up neatly.

Publication started in 2006 covering a story set 9 months before the Grail War, but then during its 2015-2017 run, it covered the Grail War from the perspective of people who didn't know the Grail War happening, and is currently set after the Grail War.

In terms of timeline, the main point of divergence that defines HimuTen is Kotomine's handling of Tokiomi's property. Like in the Fsn timeline, after the 4th Grail War, Kotomine was in charge of Tokiomi's finances until Rin grew up, but he made categorically stupid decisions on what to sell and what to keep, and his disastrous management was the cause of Rin's current money problems. But in HimuTen's timeline, while the outcome of Kotomine's poor management was still the same, what he specifically chose to sell was different. This results in two major consequences that separate HimuTen from Fate/stay night:

1) A lot of Tokiomi's less practically useful artifacts and Mystic Codes were sold to Makidera's father's antique shop, which often results in Makidera and her friends being involved in strange phenomena that Rin needs to take responsibility for.

2) A plot of land directly above Fuyuki's best leyline was sold to Sajou Hiroki, causing him to move with his two daughters to Fuyuki in 1994. By 2003-2004, Manaka already moved away from her father's house, and Hiroki himself never appears because he's always out of Fuyuki either meeting up with his mage buddy from Tokyo or dealing with Manaka situations, but Ayaka is a main character in this story, so that obviously has many ramifications.

Also, Ayaka's and Manaka's characters in HimuTen are pretty different from their Prototype counterparts. Fake Ayaka is about as much of a self-hating introvert with no self-esteem as Proto Ayaka, but she didn't get that from the real Ayaka of this timeline.

The younger Manaka still had the same propensity to set the world on fire for her Prince Charming, but direct quote: "Her excessive omnipotence caused [REDACTED] to [REDACTED] because it was [REDACTED], thus [REDACTED] went completely off-rails, resulting in the collapse of her most confident plan. Catastrophic shipwreck. She learned that picture books are pictures books are for a reason. The Prince Charming of her dreams wasn't real. Disheartened, she [REDACTED]. [REDACTED]. She turned harmless."

Meanwhile, since Manaka never found her ideal hot man, this Ayaka has none of her Grail War trauma. Instead, she had the experience of witnessing depression turn her highly competent sister into an unproductive failure of a human being, and built an actual self-esteem from training in Fuyuki's best leyline, so she internalized that she needed to be the responsible sister.

And, relevantly to /strange Fake, Ayaka also left Fuyuki in the July-August 2003 period for a student experience in the Clock Tower. Waver naturally got interested in a new student with the same last name as Manaka, so they met and she was a temporary student in his class, where she also got to realize her Formalcraft talents from Proto and was advised to specialize in plants since she was so opposed to sacrificing animals.

The last major thing to talk about is the Grail War arc, although I think this was already discussed in the thread when FsF being a HimuTen sequel first came up. Due to the premise of the manga, we don't see anything of the Grail War actually happen, but from its consequences to the people around the track trio (Kuzuki's disappearance, Mitsuzuri's assault and hospitalization, Zouken's death, the Ryuudou family needing to move to the Semina Apartments after the collapse of the cavern under their temple, Medusa's post-war presence, Shirou's survival and relationship status with Sakura, etc.), it's completely certain that HimuTen follows Heaven's Feel Good End except for the minor divergences caused by Ayaka's presence. And those are only two:

1) During the weeks of the Grail War, Ayaka was teaming up with Ciel (yes, Ciel was there, but she isn't a character in HimuTen, she's just an incognito figure you find, exclusively during the Grail War chapters, talking to Ayaka in the background, appearing on the corners of pages, group shots, etc. and what is up with her cameos is only revealed in profiles outside of the story proper) to keep outside scavengers from interfering with the Grail War. Mashin's official statement is that together they thwarted 9 out of 10 invaders, and the 10th one that slipped past them would have consequences later in the United States. (This seriously implies that the Fsn timeline had a bigger number of scavengers profiting from the Grail War, which certainly will come up in some spin-off, probably the El-Melloi series)

2) Shinji lost a bet to Ayaka during that week, so he had to wear a magical wig that copied his hair, but slightly off-center, making people think he was wearing a wig all along. This protected his head from Sakura's attack, so in this timeline, Shinji was only injured rather than killed.

I suppose I could also talk about Tsunokuma since he cameoed here and how the reveal that the real Ayaka is currently studying in Romania is an extension of Manaka's and Celenike's relationship in HimuTen, but I'll stick to the Ayaka parts to keep this post as short as it can be.
Addendum said:
Mashin simply can't let a glasses girl escape his reach.
Himuro wears glasses? That's our protagonist.
Ayaka wears glasses? Give the manga its unique background just to justify her being a main character.
Celenike wears glasses? She and Manaka are inseparable best friends now.
Jinako wears glasses? There's no easy way to justify her coming to Fuyuki so make her the host of the Throne of Heroes show in the non-canon bonus pages.
Ciel wears glasses? Keep her in the background throughout the Grail War arc and write a reason for it outside of the story.
Medusa wears glasses? This manga needs to be Heaven's Feel to keep her around.
Mable Macintosh from Seraphix wears glasses? Let her cameo in the FGO collab segment.
Hishiri wears glasses? She's the Policies agent infiltrated as the school nurse to handle the post-Grail War cover-up.
Rani VII wears glasses? Make up a Rani VI to replace the late Kuzuki in all his school functions and never address the world-ending implications of having an Atlas mage on duty there.

The man knows what he wants and nothing will stop him from getting it.
It's honestly baffling to think that Touko came to Fuyuki to make Shirou's new body in this timeline and Mashin didn't address that in any capacity.

And now you know why FsF has odd details such as Flat being an acquaintance of the real Ayaka Sajou. Among other things.

Hi! I'm relatively new to the franchise and have a couple questions and figured this would be a good place to ask.
1. What are Divine Words? What can they do and what can't they do?
2. Same as the first question, but Primordial Runes.

Hi! I'm relatively new to the franchise and have a couple questions and figured this would be a good place to ask.
1. What are Divine Words? What can they do and what can't they do?
2. Same as the first question, but Primordial Runes.

The quickest summation would be that Primordial Runes and Divine Words are both systems of magecraft from the Age of Gods.

Divine Words allow magecraft to be done much more efficiently, as it directly interfaces with the World instead of via the medium of a Foundation.

Primordial Runes are runes derived directly from Odin, instead of Modern Runes which are recreations of those.

There's no easy way to say what they can do, since they're broader systems, not discrete abilities - Medea can use Divine Words to perform extremely powerful magecraft in less than a second, while Runes can be used to do things like inscribe curses of death (Sigurdtr, LB2), or alter the Saint Graphs of Servants (Scathach).

Last edited:
Back