Helen isnt the most beautiful ever, she's the most beautiful by contemporary Hellenic standards.

Given how much fashion and standards change from era to era or even decade to decade, that's a fairly big difference.

One of the Case Files novels goes into the two most beautiful women in the world IIRC. I don't think either is a Saberface, much to everyone's surprise.

I wouldn't call it miserably bad. It's got it's fair share of errors and more, it's certainly no masterpiece, but it's not that bad. In terms of major oversights, mostly I think of some of the "Servants can't be hurt by mundane weapons" stuff and missing the bit about the gold of the Rhine, and that's about it?
More of a minor oversight, but there's that bit where there's the discussion about Ayako getting attacked that was mistranslated.
Ayako was attacked by a mugger, not a molester like Mirror-Moon says. Also, IIRC, the narration is supposed to describe Shirou's tone as the conversation wraps up as an 'all's well that ends well-esque tone' (because Ayako got out of the situation with only a minor injury), while Mirror-Moon makes it sound like Shirou's tone was approving of Ayako being attacked.

Aside from that, I seem to recall hearing of a mistranslation in Last Episode that makes it sound like it was EMIYA who reunited with Artoria in the end (the line is supposed to say that the man who arrived never gave up on his dreams, but the translation mistakenly writes it as the man had already given up on his dreams, or something like that).

Aside from that, I can't recall any major mistranslations that have come up in translations off the top of my head.

So, can they be hurt by them? I'm not entirely sure, honestly. They're spirits and so can only be hurt by spiritual stuff, yet they're also physical, so might be able to be hurt by stuff which hurts physical beings.

Saber aside, they can always dematerialize -- but if they don't dematerialize, they can probably be hurt by normal weapons?
I remember Fallacies looked at the relevant lines - a Servant in physical form could be hurt by a mundane attack if it hit them (assuming nothing like a defensive NP or skill interferes), but as spirits, they could always dematerialize to let said mundane attack phase through them.

Dematerializing doesn't work on things infused with magical energy because spirits can't casually phase through magical energy, or anything infused with magical energy.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but Mash can only use her demi-servant abilities in the singularities right? I'm only as far as Camelot. Does she ever get access to them outside of the singularities?

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but Mash can only use her demi-servant abilities in the singularities right? I'm only as far as Camelot. Does she ever get access to them outside of the singularities?
She can use her Demi-Servant abilities anywhere, it's just that there's no reason to outside of a Singularity. It'd be like a magical girl transforming without a monster to fight.

She can use her Demi-Servant abilities anywhere, it's just that there's no reason to outside of a Singularity. It'd be like a magical girl transforming without a monster to fight.
However, she is unable to use them at all for the duration of Epic of Remnant(the 'filler arc' after the main plot of Part 1 ends) for plot reasons.

Can't say that I've ever had a mental picture for what Helen is supposed to look like, Nasuverse or otherwise, because she runs into the exact same problem as Aphrodite.

Aphrodite's thing is that she is attraction (as well as a bunch of other things).

However, you start straying from that as soon as you start providing physical descriptions because different people have different notions of beauty. Never mind the differences that can exist between different times and places. If you stick to text, you can get away with descriptions that suggest attractiveness without actually having to mention any physical characteristics. In contrast, if you move on to visuals, well, good luck with that.

In other words, I don't have enough imagination to even start envisioning what the most beautiful woman in the world is supposed to look like.

So, going by how Stheno and Euryale are supposed to be "idol goddesses", that means both Helen and Aphrodite were lolis.

If you go by what comes up in the story of Artemis and Aura, Artemis is supposed to have an 'Aphrodite-like' body...
... and part of Aura's mocking of Artemis' body involves describing Artemis as having large, heavy breasts (enough so that Aura openly questions if Artemis really has never had mother's milk developing in them) and slender arms (in contrast, Aura claims to have an 'Athena-like body', with a 'boyish chest' and visible muscle definition in her arms).

Though in the Nasuverse, according to Orion's artist I-IV in the F/GO Materials entry for Orion, the plan is for Artemis' true form to be 'neither busty nor loli', but Artemis has both a busty avatar (seen attached to Orion's Saint Graph) and a loli avatar.

Helen of Troy was Spartan.

She obviously looked like a gender flipped Leonidas.
I seem to recall a mention that Helen was supposed to be on-par with her brothers in combat skills in her younger days.

No, it was Theseus who kidnapped Helen when she was ~10 so he could keep her around until she was old enough to marry. Only after the Dioscuri rescued her and she grew up to marry Menelaus did Paris pull his bullshit.
Ah yes, Theseus' and Pirithous' idiotic plan to score 'daughters of Zeus' as their wives. And if you thought Theseus' side of things was stupid, Pirithous was going to kidnap Persephone from the underworld to force her to marry him.

Naturally, Hades was not amused. He eventually let Heracles take Theseus away from his imprisonment, but Pirithous? Hades was not letting that attempted homewrecker go anywhere.

A couple incidental details I found regarding this incident: from what I see, Helen was 12 when Theseus kidnapped her. Also, the Dioscuri, while rescuing Helen, took Pirithous' sister Physadeia and Theseus' mother Aethra captive and made them serve as Helen's handmaidens.

Last edited:
Ugh, Helen and Paris being in true love by the later part of the war is the worst thing about modern depictions.

There is literally a scene in the Iliad in which Aphrodite coerces Helen into having sex with Paris by threatening her.

Ugh, Helen and Paris being in true love by the later part of the war is the worst thing about modern depictions.

There is literally a scene in the Iliad in which Aphrodite coerces Helen into having sex with Paris by threatening her.
Fate's version of Menelaus only married her as a shortcut to heaven and was also explicitly abusive, and Paris is portrayed as a just and righteous savior of her.

So yeah, not my most favorite depiction :V

Fate's version of Menelaus only married her as a shortcut to heaven and was also explicitly abusive, and Paris is portrayed as a just and righteous savior of her.

So yeah, not my most favorite depiction :V

I'm aware of that.

Paris gets a lot of whitewashing for someone who decided to ditch his wife as soon as he could get his hands on someone who was more beautiful. Never mind the versions in which he ditched his pregnant wife with the result that he went on to pull a Cu.

Back