You'll note the wording of 'in particular' in relation to gems exposed to spirits, which is part of a separate thought from using jewels in general to store magical energy. Also why do you assume that a change in humanity's cultural perception of gems won't affect gemcraft?
Gems that have been exposed to spirits can be used as magic crests/a prison that traps a flow.

Gee I wonder how that relates to storing magical energy in it.

Also I wouldn't say there's some huge mystery that's being encroached upon with putting magical energy into gems. It might be one thing if you're doing stuff based on say the seven treasures of Buddhism and such. But in the end you're mainly putting energy in the jewels.

Well that answers part of my question.

Should've clarified more though. I mean, how hard it would be for someone to forcibly take someone's magic crest?
For what purpose.

You can put them in puppets or other things, you can dissect them, you can make butterfly wings with them (dumb and wasteful, but Touko does it anyway)

Spiritual surgery shouldn't be required as a speciality for it.

No it's flat out called out as a terrible way to use them because Touko does ridiculous things only she can do.

But she also does things that are incredibly wasteful and stupid that only she would do because it's dumb.

It is the worst way to utilize stolen crests that I can think of.

I mean, how hard it would be for someone to forcibly take someone's magic crest?
For what purpose.

You can put them in puppets or other things, you can dissect them, you can make butterfly wings with them (dumb and wasteful, but Touko does it anyway)

Spiritual surgery shouldn't be required as a speciality for it.

Touko being capable of a particular thing means basically nothing about the level of skill required to perform the feat, or the relative difficulty involved -- given how we're repeatedly told by Rin and so forth that transplanting a Crest is big deal, and that risk of triggering spiritual rejection and other issues can only be minimized if certain conditions are met (for example, transplanting between blood relatives only), or if the transplant is conducted in piecemeal over a long period of time.

Given, every existing thaumaturgical lineage has figured out a way to do it safely -- but if it were something that could be lightly done with minimal risk and nothing in the way of specialized preparation, nobody would make a big deal about it.

Also, Touko's particular set of proficiencies isn't very useful as a benchmark or reference by which to infer the capabilities of a "typical" magus.

Last edited:
No one was really commenting on transplanting another magus's crest into yourself as your own at the moment.
Doesn't change the fact that Touko shouldn't be used as a reference point for "typical magi" in terms of skill and proficiency of capability.

Also, Crests are spiritual existences, and we know that they can potentially be damaged if mishandled. How precisely would the claim be justified that "no particular specialization in spiritual surgery is necessary" in forcibly obtaining or extracting somebody else's crest? Are we qualifying the discussion such that damage to the Crest or invalidation of its subsequent usability by another party is perfectly fine, so long as the outcome of "forcibly extracting it" is achieved?

For that matter, Touko an expert puppeteer with known proficiency in relocating at least her consciousness between multiple vessels; and thus, it's probable that some variety of spiritual manipulation is within her capability. What is the evidence that Touko didn't achieve what she did by way of holding some amount of skill in this domain?

Last edited:
Well, like I said, I would be surprised if "detaching the entire limb that the Crest is on" wouldn't do the trick, without much in the way of damage. There is, I grant you, no particular evidence to support that in canon, but...

Well, like I said, I would be surprised if "detaching the entire limb that the Crest is on" wouldn't do the trick, without much in the way of damage. There is, I grant you, no particular evidence to support that in canon, but...
We don't know how long spiritual existences can independently remain within a detached body part without some mechanism of preservation -- granted that the soul that underlies the body part is indeed severed and removed along with the flesh.

Being that we're told the spirit of a normal living organism can for the most part only remain within the World so long as it's associated and bound to a living corpus, I would speculate that for best results, immediately subsequent the detachment of the relevant body part / the killing of the Crest's current host, a protection against decay or a means of external sustenance would need to be applied.

Last edited:
I drew a 1-roll, just because, not really expecting much.
I drew a five star Shuten Doji.
What.
Mwaha
MwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahHhHhHh!!!!

Wasn't the bad guy in Case Files vol 1 able to easily extract magical crests from those he killed?
"Easily" is still to be couched in terms of a particular character's level of skill and preparation.

As I previously gave -- yes, indeed, every existing thaumaturgical lineage with an active Crest has found a way to safely transplant it between hosts. However, this doesn't mean that the procedure of extraction is necessarily an action lightly taken, entirely absent in risk of damaging the Crest or other possible issues. That's all that I'm suggesting.

Last edited:
Finished volume 4 of Strange Fake.

Really liked it. Excited for the assassin twist incoming, Sigma's growth, Bull of Heaven fight, and Herc's demise.

Waver and Jack was cool, and makes me really want to read the El Meloi Case Files.

So first off, there is the start of payoff in this one. Jester's plans start to be thwarted, which is delicious. I could read that passage over and over again. I figure Assassin Girl made a pact with Ayaka, although possibly with Richard himself.

Jack getting talked into being a "hero," for lack of a better term, was cool, and I really love Waver's presence in this story, enough for me to fanboy over but not overshadowing Flat's own efforts to convince Jack of stuff.

Jack's NPs were amazing. I love his shapeshifting skill,pretty cool, hopefully we get to see him use it to turn into some more interesting Jacks to help with the Herc fight. Maybe a caster or a monster (outside of From Hell). And that brings me to From Hell. That fight was awesome. The reveal of hundreds of demons piledriving Herc into the pavement was amazing.

And then we get to Herc's Pandora, which I wasn't upset with, unlike others I've seen have mentioned, because it makes sense as an NP. Gil has others things because he was the original. David can steal things because he did many times in life. EMIYA can copy things. Herc being able to steal NPs fits with other existing things. It's only so OP because his master has cheated the system so hard. Hopefully Hassan will deal with the crime family, meaning Herc will soon be out of mana and will have to pick and choose NPs to run, not keep them all up at once.

The stuff with Richard and St. Germain was cool.

Dumas getting ready to presumably write legends into existence for the cops, to presumably help them keep up, is solid, I like it.

Honestly, the Herc fight is gonna be a turning point, everyone is out to get him at this point, so I can't wait to see how it goes down.

To settle the issue on Fuyuki's location:

Kyushu.

Oita City, Kyushu.

Kobe.

Tokyo?

TL;DR
Type Moon themselves can't decide where Fuyuki actually is, so just go with wherever you want.

Last edited:
Let's talk about how Melty Blood has so many uninspired, unoriginal and repetitive alternate version characters that it seems like a Dragon Ball game: Ciel and her Powered version, Sion and her TATARI version, Tohno and his Nanaya version, Len and her White version, Arcueid and her Red and Princess versions, Akiha and her Vermillion and Seifuku versions, Hisui and Kohaku fighting together, Kohaku fighting alone, Hisui fighting alone, Mech Hisui, Magical Amber, Neco Arc and its Chaos version.

I am aware that most if not all of these characters have totally or at least considerable different play-styles, to say nothing about personality and backstory. I'm just talking purely from a design standpoint. All of this together makes it so about half the character roster are comprised of lookalikes. I understand that this is due to Nasu's reluctance to continue Tsukihime's story properly, with Tsukihime 2 being a wet dream at best and a meme at worst. But still, innovation is the sole salvation of fighting games, and you can only get so much of it by tweaking and polishing the already existent game mechanics and introducing a few until it gets stale and the games end up looking like the exact same ones over and over, AKA the Street Fighter II syndrome.

What say you, mongrels?

Back