I recall Nasu saying something about requiring a budget that would make Mahouyo cry if he was going to do the fight between Zelretch and Crimson Moon justice.

And any story about Zel's past would be obligated to show that.
Alright then.

Bucket List:
-After making millions of dollars through a successful book franschise, send a good amount of it, to Nasu to write the story of Zelretch.

That just because HF Shirou decides to be a loving husband and father instead of walking the Earth stabbing bad people doesn't make him lesser or weaker than his alt-versions who picked the opposite.

Ah. While the not weaker part I agree, the lesser part ... well, I'm sorry, but I just can't seem to get over the "I'll forget about you" part. Especially in the Good End.

Okay so it seems I'm not the only one having issues formatting my posts, so if I miss anything sorry.

Realta Nua objects to that. And Shirou is not alone in UBW too, there are people who supports him.

I thought Realta Nua only says he eventually finds his way to Saber, a person who, I might remind you, destroyed herself for her Kingdom. Like, it's very noble and all, but it's pretty much a given that if Shirou goes out into the world to stab bad-guys and put himself in harms way to protect others he's eventually going to fall. I mean, it's a noble way to die I guess, but it's not the most healthy way to live.

Also I know he has support in UBW, my point is in HF he is the support for people who are, frankly, stronger then he is. Sakura has bullshit levels of prana because of her role as the lesser grail and Rin is capable of sustaining his Reality Marble and Saber's prana while also using magic herself. And really, this is more a personal thing I suspect. I think Shirou is better at giving Sakura, Rin, Rider and whoever else joins his ever increasing family a home that they can always come back to then he is capable of fixing the world by hitting people with swords.

She has hope... that is that other people will fix her situation for her. Okay, I have hope that my teacher will give me nice score, but surprisingly, I need to actually take actions to realize that hope. It's just pointless self-pity and begging for sympathy when you say you have hope but not prove it with actions.

She could also get a safe space if she had tried to socialize better with others, or try to develop herself more as a person. Rather than cultivating the safe space by herself, it feels more like she's latching like a parasite into Shirou really.

Look could you tone down the 'she needs to improve her abuse on her own' stuff plz? She's had it repeatedly demonstrated that there is very little she can do, because every moment she lives is a moment Zouken decides not to kill her. Frankly, considering how poor off much less serious abuse can leave people, the fact that she's capable of living a relatively normal life is really impressive. It might annoy you about her character, which is something I don't get but can accept, but your phrasing is really uncomfortable since it basically says she's a failure for not navigating herself out of a really shitty situation she has very little control over.

Also, she does socialize outside of Shirou, for one thing she does Archery, which might be a thing she does because Shinji is an asshole, but she seems to get along well enough with the captain. That she prefers calm comfortable enviroments where she can relax around Taiga and Shirou does not make her a parasite either, I mean people find places comfortable, and sometimes those places happen to be places belonging to someone else. During High School a friend of mind spent a lot of time at my house over the weekends, because in that space he felt comfortable enough to relax in a way he couldn't at home. That doesn't make him some parasite stuck to me, it means he finds the place comfortable and I find his presence so.

So she belief that there's nothing she could do nothing so she decides to do nothing and accept the situation, just waiting others' help or for the hopelessness to end. Right, I definitely admire her. I should just keep to myself and not try to rebel against my fate, even when it's better to just go big or go home with my situation.

What is admirable about Sakura is that she remains strong enough to still have a will of her own despite frankly horrific circumstances. Her self confidence issues are a character flaw, not everything about her is positive.

My definition of 'being humane' isn't giving up, instead it would be that we are not perfect, but we can definitely do better. Humans are weak, but they can also become strong. Humans are flawed, but they have the potential to grow. Humans are selfish, but they can still do goods in spite of it. To me, humanity is best represented by potential, and the struggle to reach a better future. It's neutral, there are both good and bad, it's just a matter of perspective. And we definitely didn't get this far by wallowing in our weakness.

Perhaps it's because of this difference in view that HF doesn't feel great to me. I mean, compared to the previous routes this one just feels... pathetic? It would have been great if Shirou was actually shown the result of him choosing to save Sakura, but that plot thread aren't touched anymore after the Playground scene. We never even get to see any real consequence of his choice.

At least we could see how Shirou's belief puts him at odds with those important to him even if it is what draws them close to him at first in the other routes, but in HF that was done with in the Playground scene, so there should have been a replacement for it.

I don't think it's weakness to care about your family though. It's the unfortunate truth that fucked up Kiritsugu and Archer, and forces Shirou to make a his choice: do you risk the many to try and save someone important to you, or do you turn your Mind to Steel and stop the risk. The issue with this dilemma is neither option is right, both are equally valid ideas. On one hand, risking people means you could, as occurs in HF, end up killing hundreds, but on the other, how human are we if we can kill even those we care about most?

I think the issue we have is your really talking purely in ideals, this grand idea of people dying for great causes and putting their values first. I don't know how it is for you, but for me, I don't know what I'd do if presented with that choice, I don't even know which I would want to be able to do.

That I suspect is why a lot of people call HF human, because it forces us to confront a question a lot of people find uncomfortable. I mean, neither Fate nor UBW really present a complex set of ideals for Shirou, even if it does explore them.

Something which I definitely do not agree, because from what I see, there are a lot of people who are Ally of Justice, who are trying to do good. The series portrayed it in a very narrow manner, like "Save one person you love or save 100 person you don't know," when in reality the situation are never that simple.

Taken in the context of the real world, it's definitely possible to pursue it. It just that you probably won't be able to do it if you are alone. As they said, an uncoordinated good will lose to a complex/coordinated evil; both Kiritsugu and Archer had always been alone, that's why they keep on failing. UBW Shirou was definitely not alone though, and Fate Shirou has the memories of Saber that supports him at the very least. It'll still be hard, sure, but there is no such thing as an excellent result without great effort.

Basically yeah, I agree that the story didn't believe that ideology, but it does so by giving us a narrow perspective, thus making it feels like the story is trying to force its believe to us by making up lies. So I rejected its reality, and takes it in my context of what I understand about the world

I don't actually question the idea that Hero!Shirou will be a force of good in the world, or that Kiritsugu and Archer have very warped views of the world, and I definitely don't think that the concept of being a hero is something the series disapproves of outright. After all, as Shirou says in UBW, it might be an impossible ideal, but it's still something to strive for. There's nothing wrong with that.

The issue does however really come down to the human element. I know I gush about Rin a lot, but my feeling on the plot is that people like Rin and Waver are the sorts of heroes you should truly admire. Not the murderously efficient like Kiritsugu, not the ruthlessly driven like Kariya, not the sadistic like Kirei, not the self-sacrificing like Saber. The ideal heroes are people who can balance between the ideas, who can look after themselves and those they care about while still caring about the world.

In UBW, Shirou might become that person, but my overall feeling is he really doesn't need to. Shirou has the perfect temperament to be a fantastic community pillar, his swords are not the only thing he can be, and saving people as an Ally of Justice is not the only way to live well.

The thing I love about Rin the most is how contradictory she is, how she's always vulnerable and weak when it counts. Her characterization prior to HF barely has a tie to Sakura,

I'm finishing here because this is really the last point I need to address. This just isn't true.

Rin is defined by her relationship with her family, specifically by two distinct pulls. Her memory and love of her father pulls her to become the Magi, uncaring, unfliching and brilliant. The sort of person who see's Shirou lying there and just walks away, rather then spending her most precious tool to save him. The other pull is her sister, the craving she has for familial bonds, the desire to have friends and live a normal life. The truth is though when it comes down to it she will never be the Magi, she cares to much. But there is one reason why I say that her characterisation prior to HF barely has a tie to Sakura.

The most defining choice she makes in the entire series was made for her sister. Out of love for her sister, she uses the most powerful weapon she has to bring Shirou back to life.

The plot doesn't ever say it, but once you finish HF and look back over it, so much makes sense in the context of Rin being really protective of her sister.

Look could you tone down the 'she needs to improve her abuse on her own' stuff plz? She's had it repeatedly demonstrated that there is very little she can do, because every moment she lives is a moment Zouken decides not to kill her. Frankly, considering how poor off much less serious abuse can leave people, the fact that she's capable of living a relatively normal life is really impressive. It might annoy you about her character, which is something I don't get but can accept, but your phrasing is really uncomfortable since it basically says she's a failure for not navigating herself out of a really shitty situation she has very little control over.

Also, she does socialize outside of Shirou, for one thing she does Archery, which might be a thing she does because Shinji is an asshole, but she seems to get along well enough with the captain. That she prefers calm comfortable enviroments where she can relax around Taiga and Shirou does not make her a parasite either, I mean people find places comfortable, and sometimes those places happen to be places belonging to someone else. During High School a friend of mind spent a lot of time at my house over the weekends, because in that space he felt comfortable enough to relax in a way he couldn't at home. That doesn't make him some parasite stuck to me, it means he finds the place comfortable and I find his presence so.
This this this very much this all of this. Taking care of yourself when you come from a loving home and taking care of yourself when you're being raised in shit are two different things a lot of the time. Not everyone gets that.

I get where Feng Lengshun is coming from here, though, 'cause even when you know exactly why Sakura acts the way she does from experience, it fucking burns to see her act that way in what is still, at its heart, escapist fiction.

I wouldn't mind either a story about the First Grail War or the Third. Either that, or DDD animated.

Tsukihime never ;_;

If Ufotable does a Tsukihime Anime, I'm hoping they do Kohaku Route, except doing the last Bad End instead of the True End.

Actually, I'm hoping for Satsuki Route, but we all know that's never happening.

Okay so it seems I'm not the only one having issues formatting my posts, so if I miss anything sorry.
Wait, what? *checks* Oh god damn it. Fixed now.
I thought Realta Nua only says he eventually finds his way to Saber, a person who, I might remind you, destroyed herself for her Kingdom. Like, it's very noble and all, but it's pretty much a given that if Shirou goes out into the world to stab bad-guys and put himself in harms way to protect others he's eventually going to fall. I mean, it's a noble way to die I guess, but it's not the most healthy way to live.
I meant that in Realta Nua, he seems pretty accepting and happy of his life, and has now reached actual happiness that will last, I don't know, forever? You said that it would lead to self-destruction but I can't see how that happened here.
Also I know he has support in UBW, my point is in HF he is the support for people who are, frankly, stronger then he is. Sakura has bullshit levels of prana because of her role as the lesser grail and Rin is capable of sustaining his Reality Marble and Saber's prana while also using magic herself. And really, this is more a personal thing I suspect. I think Shirou is better at giving Sakura, Rin, Rider and whoever else joins his ever increasing family a home that they can always come back to then he is capable of fixing the world by hitting people with swords.
And what makes you think he's not doing that in UBW too? Well, except replace Sakura and Rider with Saber, that is. As if people could live together for a long time and has a deep relationship without having supported each other.

What is admirable about Sakura is that she remains strong enough to still have a will of her own despite frankly horrific circumstances. Her self confidence issues are a character flaw, not everything about her is positive.
This is likely my Eastern values speaking. It's really more or less "If you have a bad life then it's your fault, you should have tried to fix it by yourself. If you have tried and it failed, then try harder. If you have tried harder, then work smarter," in its core. Sure, the circumstance can be bad, but you can always fix it, if you still feel your life as horrible, you hadn't work hard enough, or you didn't work smart enough (there's a reason why Self-Help books exists), simple as that.

It's funny how people keep on saying that Western value are individualistic when Eastern value are quite solitary too.

Ayako Mitsuzuri gets along with everyone. Even with Rin. And I'm not contesting the part where she goes to Shirou's house, that's fine. What I'm disputing is in that instead of working to better herself in order to reach true happiness, she's simply ignoring the problem and just keep on being around Shirou because it gives her temporary happiness. And lack of confidence is a thing, but god, even Shinji Ikari wasn't this bad. Even as he got depressed and felt helpless, he's still doing something, and moving back and forth in his situation. I just don't like how she didn't do something real that could help her life on her own.

Gah, this is all probably because of the many self-help books I've read, which really focus on bettering your mindset and you being the one who is truly responsible for your happiness.
I don't think it's weakness to care about your family though. It's the unfortunate truth that fucked up Kiritsugu and Archer, and forces Shirou to make a his choice: do you risk the many to try and save someone important to you, or do you turn your Mind to Steel and stop the risk. The issue with this dilemma is neither option is right, both are equally valid ideas. On one hand, risking people means you could, as occurs in HF, end up killing hundreds, but on the other, how human are we if we can kill even those we care about most?

I think the issue we have is your really talking purely in ideals, this grand idea of people dying for great causes and putting their values first. I don't know how it is for you, but for me, I don't know what I'd do if presented with that choice, I don't even know which I would want to be able to do.

That I suspect is why a lot of people call HF human, because it forces us to confront a question a lot of people find uncomfortable. I mean, neither Fate nor UBW really present a complex set of ideals for Shirou, even if it does explore them.
And I quite agree with that, but as I said, he's settling for less in HF. If the problem was that his ideal is forcing him to choose between the few he cares about and the many he doesn't know, then the logical next step for that scenario is him coming up with a way to get both.
I don't actually question the idea that Hero!Shirou will be a force of good in the world, or that Kiritsugu and Archer have very warped views of the world, and I definitely don't think that the concept of being a hero is something the series disapproves of outright. After all, as Shirou says in UBW, it might be an impossible ideal, but it's still something to strive for. There's nothing wrong with that.

The issue does however really come down to the human element. I know I gush about Rin a lot, but my feeling on the plot is that people like Rin and Waver are the sorts of heroes you should truly admire. Not the murderously efficient like Kiritsugu, not the ruthlessly driven like Kariya, not the sadistic like Kirei, not the self-sacrificing like Saber. The ideal heroes are people who can balance between the ideas, who can look after themselves and those they care about while still caring about the world.

In UBW, Shirou might become that person, but my overall feeling is he really doesn't need to. Shirou has the perfect temperament to be a fantastic community pillar, his swords are not the only thing he can be, and saving people as an Ally of Justice is not the only way to live well.
Yeah, I agree with that, but HF Shirou didn't really look like he's being a community pillar of some sort. He's simply just living a peaceful life, and just focus on protecting that peaceful life. The amount of good he would do isn't comparable to the heroic Shirou. Outside of him starting a major movement, anyway.
I'm finishing here because this is really the last point I need to address. This just isn't true.

Rin is defined by her relationship with her family, specifically by two distinct pulls. Her memory and love of her father pulls her to become the Magi, uncaring, unfliching and brilliant. The sort of person who see's Shirou lying there and just walks away, rather then spending her most precious tool to save him. The other pull is her sister, the craving she has for familial bonds, the desire to have friends and live a normal life. The truth is though when it comes down to it she will never be the Magi, she cares to much. But there is one reason why I say that her characterisation prior to HF barely has a tie to Sakura.

The most defining choice she makes in the entire series was made for her sister. Out of love for her sister, she uses the most powerful weapon she has to bring Shirou back to life.

The plot doesn't ever say it, but once you finish HF and look back over it, so much makes sense in the context of Rin being really protective of her sister.
I suppose it does in that one instant, but for the rest of the game, it's just never touched. Though it can also be said that it was partly due to her own interest in Shirou (she did watched Shirou trying to jump that bar) and her sense of right and wrong. There are hints that they have a relationship in the past, of course, but for the most part, it barely plays a role.

I think that the biggest problem I have with HF as a whole is that it doesn't feel as impressive as the other routes. Shirou in Fate would grow into someone strong enough to reach Avalon and he has dealt with his guilt. Saber as the heroine in Fate is a very admirable person, even if she's also hurting herself with her choices. Shirou in UBW is going to to be a hero even after knowing what it's likely to lead into. And Rin is Rin.

HF, however, wasn't as grand. Shirou gave up his ideals and settles down with Sakura. And Sakura, while she is important for another character, she didn't feel as great as the other heroines and didn't has as much plot relevance as them. It just felt strangely disappointing. We had great stuffs happening before, with a lot of things at stake. As the closing route, I expected it to be... well, better.[/QUOTE]

This is likely my Eastern values speaking. It's really more or less "If you have a bad life then it's your fault, you should have tried to fix it by yourself. If you have tried and it failed, then try harder. If you have tried harder, then work smarter," in its core. Sure, the circumstance can be bad, but you can always fix it, if you still feel your life as horrible, you hadn't work hard enough, or you didn't work smart enough (there's a reason why Self-Help books exists), simple as that.
K, I'm gonna piss on your culture for a second and say flat out: that is fucked up.

Just this morning I saw in the news that they've finally found the body of a teenager disappeared about two weeks ago. Forensics say there's evidence of sexual abuse. I guess the reason she couldn't escape her kidnappers was because she didn't try hard or smart enough. In the end it was her fault she ended up dead. Just the same as all those little girls that are trained since very early in their lives to be prostitutes. Or all those cancer patients, really, they just aren't trying hard enough to cure their diseases!

You know, I agree with your Eastern values to some level, but only some level. There's a point where you stop having control over the circumstances and there's not a single shit you can do to improve your life.

And sometimes, there really isn't anything you can do, and need outside help.

Also, the realization that you have the ability to respond to your shitty situation in a positive way, regardless of how difficult your circumstances are, is a very hard thing to achieve.

Last edited:
I meant that in Realta Nua, he seems pretty accepting and happy of his life, and has now reached actual happiness that will last, I don't know, forever? You said that it would lead to self-destruction but I can't see how that happened here.

Self destruction doesn't just mean emotional, Shirou's entire thing is to push himself to far in reverence to his ideals, and the life he leads is one that's going to put him in a pretty early grave. Archer isn't that old, and the life-style still kills pretty early.

And what makes you think he's not doing that in UBW too? Well, except replace Sakura and Rider with Saber, that is. As if people could live together for a long time and has a deep relationship without having supported each other.

I think your misunderstanding what I mean. Obviously people who are in relationships will be supporting one another in some form. Shirou in HF is managing the home for Sakura/Rider (Guardians of Fuyuki) and Rin (Political Firestorm). In UBW he cannot provide the same sort of thing because he's actively part of fucking badguys up.

It's funny how people keep on saying that Western value are individualistic when Eastern value are quite solitary too.

Ayako Mitsuzuri gets along with everyone. Even with Rin. And I'm not contesting the part where she goes to Shirou's house, that's fine. What I'm disputing is in that instead of working to better herself in order to reach true happiness, she's simply ignoring the problem and just keep on being around Shirou because it gives her temporary happiness. And lack of confidence is a thing, but god, even Shinji Ikari wasn't this bad. Even as he got depressed and felt helpless, he's still doing something, and moving back and forth in his situation. I just don't like how she didn't do something real that could help her life on her own.

Gah, this is all probably because of the many self-help books I've read, which really focus on bettering your mindset and you being the one who is truly responsible for your happiness.

I'm going to be brutally honest here but from what you're saying you just haven't got a fucking clue what abuse is really like or how it functions. Abuse is subversive, it affects a person in more ways then just the actual thing being done to them. It wears away their sense of self value, their sense of self, it distorts their understanding of what normal is, it removes the feeling of 'safe'. Sometimes people are strong enough to fix this situation for themselves, but even then you're always shaped by it.

Sakura has a particularly horrific example even by the standards of sexual abuse. As if the Penis Worms where not enough, she undergoes physical transformation due to what Zouken is doing to her. Every time she looks at herself in the mirror, her hair and eyes remind her of what she's going through. Every time she gets horny, she can't know if it's because she's actually interested or Zouken's worms are influencing her. Every time she interacts with Shinji or in an enviroment where Shinji may be present, she risks being raped or otherwise physically assaulted as punishment for doing something 'wrong'. On top of all this, Zouken has the ability to kill her at any times, via means she is not exactly sure of the mechanics of. Now, remember she's been going through this since she was 7-8 at least. The entire period she has been forming her perceptions of the world, she has basically had it reinforced she's a tool that belongs to Zouken, which he can dispose of at any time.

With that, the fact that she's trying to make any improvement at all is really fucking impressive. She's creating a space away from all that shit, where she doesn't have to worry about Shinji, Zouken or any of it until she leaves. Also it's important to note that her mindset surrounding going to Shirou's is it's an escape Zouken lets her have. It is nice, it's pleasant, it lets her forget, but at the end of the day it's something she's given.

I mean in general I think it would be a good idea to go start reading about the psychology of abuse, because your mindset, though not your fault, is the exact mindset that lets it continue. Because here's the question: if abuse didn't subvert how a person thinks, why would anyone stay in abusive relationships?

And I quite agree with that, but as I said, he's settling for less in HF. If the problem was that his ideal is forcing him to choose between the few he cares about and the many he doesn't know, then the logical next step for that scenario is him coming up with a way to get both.

There was no scenario that let him have both: remember even though he gives up on his ideals, there are plenty of moments when he can basically say "Saving Sakura is not worth the cost" (One of the bad ends involves you trying to kill Sakura because you cannot see any other way out and Rider is like LOLNOPE). The issue is that every night Sakura is alive, there is a chance she eats another neighborhood. By trying to come up with an answer for both you default to not actually living up to the ideals.

Yeah, I agree with that, but HF Shirou didn't really look like he's being a community pillar of some sort. He's simply just living a peaceful life, and just focus on protecting that peaceful life. The amount of good he would do isn't comparable to the heroic Shirou. Outside of him starting a major movement, anyway.

Shirou in the epilogue of HF hasn't actually fully recovered from dying. He's getting better, but he's still in the period where he is not completely used to the body Touko made for him. Despite this, Shirou is by default a supporting pillar of the one community we've seen him in, his school.

I suppose it does in that one instant, but for the rest of the game, it's just never touched. Though it can also be said that it was partly due to her own interest in Shirou (she did watched Shirou trying to jump that bar) and her sense of right and wrong. There are hints that they have a relationship in the past, of course, but for the most part, it barely plays a role.

I think that the biggest problem I have with HF as a whole is that it doesn't feel as impressive as the other routes. Shirou in Fate would grow into someone strong enough to reach Avalon and he has dealt with his guilt. Saber as the heroine in Fate is a very admirable person, even if she's also hurting herself with her choices. Shirou in UBW is going to to be a hero even after knowing what it's likely to lead into. And Rin is Rin.

HF, however, wasn't as grand. Shirou gave up his ideals and settles down with Sakura. And Sakura, while she is important for another character, she didn't feel as great as the other heroines and didn't has as much plot relevance as them. It just felt strangely disappointing. We had great stuffs happening before, with a lot of things at stake. As the closing route, I expected it to be... well, better.

I guess it's just a matter of different values then. To me, Shirous ideals are nice, but are not something one should feel obligated to live up to. The people who can are admirable and should emulated them to some extent, but the world can't be made up of people like Hero!Shirou or Saber.

I've heard that 'How to deal with your abusive, sadistic, immortal Magus grandfather' is hard to get your hands on, though.
There's always the mostly-free-of-charge-widely-available Buddhism though.
Self destruction doesn't just mean emotional, Shirou's entire thing is to push himself to far in reverence to his ideals, and the life he leads is one that's going to put him in a pretty early grave. Archer isn't that old, and the life-style still kills pretty early.
I... don't really see that as something inherently bad. I never really see dying as an inherently bad thing, it's always what comes after that worries me. But if you had a life that was good, satisfactory, and have given a lot of contributions to your world, then what's so bad about dying young? Well, except for the inability to contribute even more, that is, but he has contributed plenty enough if he gets memorized in history by following his ideals, even if it was just as the Nameless Hero.
I think your misunderstanding what I mean. Obviously people who are in relationships will be supporting one another in some form. Shirou in HF is managing the home for Sakura/Rider (Guardians of Fuyuki) and Rin (Political Firestorm). In UBW he cannot provide the same sort of thing because he's actively part of fucking badguys up.
In exchange, he is also providing salvation for countless other people.
I'm going to be brutally honest here but from what you're saying you just haven't got a fucking clue what abuse is really like or how it functions. Abuse is subversive, it affects a person in more ways then just the actual thing being done to them. It wears away their sense of self value, their sense of self, it distorts their understanding of what normal is, it removes the feeling of 'safe'. Sometimes people are strong enough to fix this situation for themselves, but even then you're always shaped by it.

Sakura has a particularly horrific example even by the standards of sexual abuse. As if the Penis Worms where not enough, she undergoes physical transformation due to what Zouken is doing to her. Every time she looks at herself in the mirror, her hair and eyes remind her of what she's going through. Every time she gets horny, she can't know if it's because she's actually interested or Zouken's worms are influencing her. Every time she interacts with Shinji or in an enviroment where Shinji may be present, she risks being raped or otherwise physically assaulted as punishment for doing something 'wrong'. On top of all this, Zouken has the ability to kill her at any times, via means she is not exactly sure of the mechanics of. Now, remember she's been going through this since she was 7-8 at least. The entire period she has been forming her perceptions of the world, she has basically had it reinforced she's a tool that belongs to Zouken, which he can dispose of at any time.

With that, the fact that she's trying to make any improvement at all is really fucking impressive. She's creating a space away from all that shit, where she doesn't have to worry about Shinji, Zouken or any of it until she leaves. Also it's important to note that her mindset surrounding going to Shirou's is it's an escape Zouken lets her have. It is nice, it's pleasant, it lets her forget, but at the end of the day it's something she's given.

I mean in general I think it would be a good idea to go start reading about the psychology of abuse, because your mindset, though not your fault, is the exact mindset that lets it continue. Because here's the question: if abuse didn't subvert how a person thinks, why would anyone stay in abusive relationships?
Again, it's probably rooted in my Eastern upbringing. I do know that abuses tend to subvert you, even harder if you've tried to reach out and no one helped you, but the think is, I never see her trying to reach out at all. I mean, it's nice that she finds a way to live in a peace with all those, but why not try to fix her life in a more real way?

I do, however, suspect that that line of thinking of mine was because of the previous heroines are just amazing people who did their damn best to fix their situations, so Sakura's just... eh. But we're getting sidetracked I think. Point is, I don't find Sakura that amazing, on the contrary, she's disappointing as her route is the final route.

If it was done under a different condition and perspective, I could probably be impressed by her, but with how the story treats her... I'm just disappointed.
There was no scenario that let him have both: remember even though he gives up on his ideals, there are plenty of moments when he can basically say "Saving Sakura is not worth the cost" (One of the bad ends involves you trying to kill Sakura because you cannot see any other way out and Rider is like LOLNOPE). The issue is that every night Sakura is alive, there is a chance she eats another neighborhood. By trying to come up with an answer for both you default to not actually living up to the ideals.
Then you find a way to make sure that Sakura doesn't eat another neighborhood. He managed to in the end, so it's not impossible. Having to drop his ideal just for that seems like a waste for me.

Shirou in the epilogue of HF hasn't actually fully recovered from dying. He's getting better, but he's still in the period where he is not completely used to the body Touko made for him. Despite this, Shirou is by default a supporting pillar of the one community we've seen him in, his school.
And he would be a bigger supporting pillar for a bigger community if he followed his ideals.

But as I said, we're getting sidetracked. I forgot a fundamental fact in all of these: are the routes are fundamentally flawed in one way or another, news at 11. HF really just couldn't live up to how amazing Fate and UBW was. I mean, examined as an independent story, it's pretty good, if a little too self-defeating at times, but as part of the whole story that was Fate/stay night, it just felt the weakest for me.

Perhaps that was because the previous routes felt like a celebration of human potential, that they can be a noble altruistic person despite everything, and the final, ending, closing route went against all that. It's not really cohesive with what the other routes are saying, though remembering that there was supposed to be more route (including Caster, Ilya, and Shinji route where he becomes a bro), it's probably because Nasu had to roll everything for the second part of the game—I'm sorry, I mean, an entire second game—into a single route.

I'm not sure that Archer being memorialized by history de facto means he accomplished huge amounts of good following his ideals.

After all, Gilles de Rais, Hassan of the Devil's Arm, Medea, and Medusa were all immortalized by history as well.

And Heroic Spirit Emiya is very much a broken man (what with the whole drive to commit paradox suicide by killing his past self thing) and kind of a dick ("Sure, Caster ate all those people, but if we let her escape she'll help take out Berserker. Oh, now she's torturing Saber. Eh, I could try to stop that, but instead I'll hang out by the front door of the church and wait for my cunning plan to play out.")

Back