TLDR Translation: You're a hypocrite; you haven't read the original legends the Servants were sourced from.
Oh. Thanks Grue.

I'm sorry, I can't hear your hypocritical bitchery over the laughter of the non-anime/LN/VN Karna, Cu Chulainn, Alexander the Great, King Arthur, Erzsebet Bathory, Tamamo-no-Mae, Frankenstein's Monster, Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, Vlad Tepes, Gilles de Rais, Sasaki Kojiro, and Herakles.

The original Gilgamesh invited us over to MST3K the new anime. :D

The Irish kinda operate on the logic that if you didn't have to die to accomplish your final badass feat, it wasn't really that badass.
I have read the Arthurian legends, some of the Epic of Gilgamesh and most of the legends associated with Herakles/Hercules, read Frankenstein and researched Alexander the Great, Diarmuid, Tamamo and Gilles de Rais. I plan on reading more stuff on my free time. What I don't get is what this has to do with Fate? Frankenstein's monster wasn't a cute girl, Alexander the Great wasn't a tanned red haired giant, Gilgamesh wasn't a slim blond with red eyes and King Arthur wasn't a girl (although if you view the legends in a certain way he might be). Reading legends that the Servants were based on is great complementary stuff and enhances the experience somewhat, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Last edited:
I have read the Arthurian legends and Herakles legends, read Frankenstein and researched Alexander the Great, Diarmuid, Tamamo and Gilles de Rais. I plan on reading more stuff on my free time. What I don't get is what this has to do with Fate? Frankenstein's monster wasn't a cute girl, Alexander the Great wasn't a tanned red haired giant, Gilgamesh wasn't a slim blond with red eyes and King Arthur wasn't a girl (although if you view the legends in a certain way he might be). Reading legends that the Servants were based on is great complementary stuff and enhances the experience somewhat, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Those figures are not the same as their Fate incarnations, but knowing the source material makes for a richer experience. That said, being unfamiliar with the source material is hardly cause for scorn and derision on its own.

How is this different from someone who watches Fate Zero but not Fate/Stay Night and so on and so forth?

Those figures are not the same as their Fate incarnations, but knowing the source material makes for a richer experience. That said, being unfamiliar with the source material is hardly cause for scorn and derision on its own.

How is this different from someone who watches Fate Zero but not Fate/Stay Night and so on and so forth?

His problem isn't people who watch F/Z but not F/SN. His problem is with people who watch F/Z, then keep asking annoying questions that would be explained if they spent 10 minutes going through F/SN.

His problem isn't people who watch F/Z but not F/SN. His problem is with people who watch F/Z, then keep asking annoying questions that would be explained if they spent 10 minutes going through F/SN.

Being obnoxiou to the obnoxious is fine, but not so much when it comes to people who haven't seen all of the material but are nonetheless interested in participating in discussions. Unless said individuals are being disruptive, their presence is harmless.

After all, correcting their mistakes shouldn't take that much effort.

Last edited:
They cut out the long Ayako/Rin chat. ;_;

It was the best part of the prologue. ;_;

...moving on, it was pretty nice. The direction feels a little awkward in places, but I just plain like Rin and Archer too much to really be bothered. They're fun!

This is a really straight adaptation of the VN though, even with them cutting cruft and getting much better pacing out of it, which I think is unfortunate. It feels like parts of the VN just really don't translate well (or just plain weren't that good!) to the screen. A looser adaptation would serve them better, I suspect. Though, I suspect they'd need a better director for that.

I wasn't exactly amazed at KnK movie 6, though it was... competent. I suspect we'll get something similar this time around.

I still have no idea what you are trying to say here. You are just repeating what I said earlier in nicer terms. I'm going back to reading.
They cut out the long Ayako/Rin chat. ;_;

It was the best part of the prologue. ;_;

...moving on, it was pretty nice. The direction feels a little awkward in places, but I just plain like Rin and Archer too much to really be bothered. They're fun!

This is a really straight adaptation of the VN though, even with them cutting cruft and getting much better pacing out of it, which I think is unfortunate. It feels like parts of the VN just really don't translate well (or just plain weren't that good!) to the screen. A looser adaptation would serve them better, I suspect. Though, I suspect they'd need a better director for that.

I wasn't exactly amazed at KnK movie 6, though it was... competent. I suspect we'll get something similar this time around.
I'm going to agree with you here. I felt that at times, they should have Rin monologue in her head and have a voice over rather than have her talking out loud. I hope next episode, we get to hear Shirou's internal monologues. Especially in fight scenes.

Last edited:
I have read the Arthurian legends, some of the Epic of Gilgamesh and most of the legends associated with Herakles/Hercules, read Frankenstein and researched Alexander the Great, Diarmuid, Tamamo and Gilles de Rais. I plan on reading more stuff on my free time. What I don't get is what this has to do with Fate? Frankenstein's monster wasn't a cute girl, Alexander the Great wasn't a tanned red haired giant, Gilgamesh wasn't a slim blond with red eyes and King Arthur wasn't a girl (although if you view the legends in a certain way he might be). Reading legends that the Servants were based on is great complementary stuff and enhances the experience somewhat, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.
You're a fan of public domain fanfiction anyway - secondhand adjustments made to thirdhand legends. What right have you to look down on people with only a casual, fanfic-level interest in a franchise that is itself derivative by its very nature?

You're a fan of public domain fanfiction anyway - secondhand adjustments made to thirdhand legends. What right have you to look down on people with only a casual, fanfic-level interest in a franchise that is itself derivative by its very nature?
Guys your on the wrong forum go to beastlair if you what to see who's the "true fan"
how about we just live and let live instead

He has every right in the world, frankly. It's his opinion, just like yours is that he's hypocritical. It's not really that big a deal.

That said, can we NOT talk about this and actually get back to talking about awesome stuff, such as Lancer dominating his fight with Archer?

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with you here. I felt that at times, they should have Rin monologue in her head and have a voice over rather than have her talking out loud. I hope next episode, we get to hear Shirou's internal monologues. Especially in fight scenes.

It wasn't the lack of a clear internal/external monologue distinction I felt bothered by, since honestly they could've gone either way. It was small things, like the reactions and dialogue being "off" by a few seconds. It didn't feel smooth.

Grue, I need a translation. This guy/girl isn't making any sense.

You're being a pretentious elitist about a franchise that at heart is basically Versus Debates.

The "Nasuverse" ultimately is just not that smart, y'know? It's not something deep enough that collecting trivia knowledge on it is actually going to pay off. Nasu is actively fucking with people anyway, with his "modifications" to canon.

Actually, I'm going to agree with ANV right now. We are all entitled to our own opinions. You all can keep thinking I'm a hypocrite and I can keep being an asshole to obnoxious secondaries. Also I don't want a mod to lock this thread.

So anyway, the soundtrack. It was pretty nice right?

Opinions don't work like that. Sure, you can have the opinion that you should be an asshole to obnoxious secondaries, but the moment you start DOING that, we're going to have issues.

As for the soundtrack, it was okay. Nothing really memorable, and too much Inception horn during fights.

I really don't want to keep this discussion up. We wasted five pages on it and I'm not budging on this.

Well ignoring the inception fog horn, the fight music was good. Also that EMIYA guitar riff when Archer was introduced.

Also that EMIYA guitar riff when Archer was introduced.
My thoughts at that time were "No no no no! It's too soon to be this awesome! You can't just start Emiya right now!". Turned out the music was appropriately subdued.

It was also around that point that I came to the conclusion that Rin's Zettai Ryouiki has been diminished in power. It's simply not as... sharp, I guess, as I remember it. Or perhaps it's way too much time spent in fanart, and forgetting what the original looked like.

So episode zero had pretty much the same problem that the first episode of Fate/Zero had. Words words words words words words. It's not insufferable or unjustifiable or anything. I suppose Nasuverse has a lot of stuff (worldbuilding for the sake of worldbuilding) in it that needs to be pushed out of the way so viewers don't get lost.
It was also around that point that I came to the conclusion that Rin's Zettai Ryouiki has been diminished in power. It's simply not as... sharp, I guess, as I remember it. Or perhaps it's way too much time spent in fanart, and forgetting what the original looked like.
I was told stories of "S rank" Zettai Ryouiki, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. It's okay though, since Rin is otherwise really likeable.

Art style isn't really my thing, but on the other hand, it looks like the animation budget comparable to the GDP of Canada, so the visuals are fine too.

Last edited:
So episode zero had pretty much the same problem that the first episode of Fate/Zero had. Words words words words words words. It's not insufferable or unjustifiable or anything. I suppose Nasuverse has a lot of stuff (worldbuilding for the sake of worldbuilding) in it that needs to be pushed out of the way so viewers don't get lost.
I was told stories of "S rank" Zettai Ryouiki, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. It's okay though, since Rin is otherwise really likeable.

Art style isn't really my thing, but on the other hand, it looks like the animation budget comparable to the GDP of Canada, so that's fine too.
It's much better paced than the VN so far whilst still remaining very faithful, which really does give me hope that this adaptation might be able to mitigate some of it's source's flaws whilst capitalising on its strengths. Although on the budget point, consider that most decent budget live action cable dramas will have episodes with budgets larger than entire seasons of anime and it starts to get less impressive.

Yeah, anime tends to work on a very small budget, with movies being the rare exception (which is why they generally look so goddamned pretty- even Unlimited Blade DEEN had some cool fight scenes).

This, on the other hand...

Oh, it's from a Fate crackfic. That explains it. (Canon crackfic is still crackfic.)

And in answer to your other question:

Crackfics. Not even once.

Or Berserker going shopping. Or the Melty Blood beach vollyball. Or the holy grail game show. Or the Super Date Plan.
I could go on for a while.

Back