I'll just say this on the topic: naval 'super robots' may be developed, but the university you all inhabit is a wee bit land locked and, understandably, not having access to or the capability of developing a drydock.

That said, you're perfectly able to empower a section of the Naval Defense Force to operate one (which would also soothe feathers over the whole complicated thing with the super carrier).

Deployment posts will follow soon, just have a busy weekend coming up so it may be delayed.

Yeah, it's a lot better to have allies than to develop things in house. We can help them a lot and flavor what comes out but there is no point of having boats for ourselves given no dry docks, no development capabilities of such, no easy way to get them into the water as well as no dedicated support craft for resupplies/battlefield repairs which also doesn't have anywhere to park at themselves.

If you are concerned about landlocked base can't we just ask for that oil platform once we kick Westphalia off of it for another DFRI facility?
Heck we can ask The navy for funding.
Setting aside my personal discomfort with this idea, the oil platform sounds like it'd be taken over by one of the naval projects that others are so convinced exist.

I'll just say this on the topic: naval 'super robots' may be developed, but the university you all inhabit is a wee bit land locked and, understandably, not having access to or the capability of developing a drydock.
This is admittedly a key factor in my desire to make a "naval" robot that is technically a submersible aircraft: If it can fly, it doesn't need a drydock, and the ability to be a submarine gives it the ability to fight underwater.

With that in mind, all we'd need would be a giant aquarium to test how water-tight it is, and we could still design "naval" robots.

Last edited:
With that in mind, all we'd need would be a giant aquarium to test how water-tight it is, and we could still design "naval" robots.
You really have no clue how that stuff works, do you? Underwater testing facilities demand a huge amount of infrastructure to simulate the different conditions of those depths precisely because they're so difficult to replicate above the sea line

Like being Water Tight, at sea-level alone would get a machine laughed at by the navy if you try to bill it as submersible.

You need a lot information, like what it's Crush Depth is. IE how deep can it go before water pressure literally just crushes it. Propulsion systems that are completely different from what we've got, unless your intent is to have the machine literally just try swimming in humanoid mode.

Like you are massively underestimating not only the logistics, but the amount of time and effort that will need to go into developing the tools to even properly test a mech at any usable depth.

I get it, you want to punch Sheol, but honestly? Given out Tech we're probably better of figuring out Shielding Tech to get to the Ignore Water level, than trying to develop a machine that can operate underwater. Or Teleportation, Pretty sure the Regency had short range Teleportation on its Trade List.

You need a lot information, like what it's Crush Depth is. IE how deep can it go before water pressure literally just crushes it. Propulsion systems that are completely different from what we've got, unless your intent is to have the machine literally just try swimming in humanoid mode.

Like you are massively underestimating not only the logistics, but the amount of time and effort that will need to go into developing the tools to even properly test a mech at any usable depth.

I get it, you want to punch Sheol, but honestly? Given out Tech we're probably better of figuring out Shielding Tech to get to the Ignore Water level, than trying to develop a machine that can operate underwater. Or Teleportation, Pretty sure the Regency had short range Teleportation on its Trade List.
Different water pressures can be simulated by, say, the equivalent of a water-filled trash compactor (lined with Zirvitium if you're worried about the "aquarium" breaking).

"Completely different propulsion systems?" We're still using conventional propulsion on our aircraft, so unless you think they've completely deleted any and all plans for aquatic propulsion I'm pretty sure we've at least got a starting point there. (And no, I had no plans for any "swimming humanoid" ridiculousness; honestly, the human body is pretty badly suited for swimming.)

I get it, you don't think it's possible to make an amphibious robot when we're not already on the damn beach; you're underestimating how actually doable it is to simulate the conditions, though.

I get it, you don't think it's possible to make an amphibious robot when we're not already on the damn beach; you're underestimating how actually doable it is to simulate the conditions, though.
...You flat out don't understand the very easy to wikiwalk basic process of developing those technologies in the first place. I mean.

A trash compactor????

Really?

It's a moot point anyways since no one but him wants this so it'll never get on the table in the first place.

Best to just calm down and do something else rather than just get the blood pressure raised going nowhere.

*shrug* It's one thing to say it's not worth it; I agree, really, since clearly nobody's gonna convince anyone here. It's another to say I'm the ONLY one who wants one without an actual poll on the topic; "not saying anything on the topic" does not equate to "disagreement" after all.

That said, we can leave actually determining that to the voting, if such a vote comes up again, instead of screaming at each other until the mods show up. Agreed?

Again.... New DFRI facility on the e oil platform or some other place on the ocean. Nobody said we could only have one base

Or that we could only stick with one specialty

In this case it's powered by Faedium so i say give it a Fae Name.

Call it the Brownie. People will assume we meant Browning.
Now imagining: "The Brownieng Quest", where the SV plays as a fiddles with the fate of a firearm fanatic fae.

... All I've got is the name.

Either that or they'll assume we're giving our guns dessert-themed names.

...actually maybe we should do that.
"Pie to the face" would sound a little more menacing.

Personal Energy Weapons.
Prototype Equipment Workshop Personnel Energy Weapons.

Remember the Matrix movie, the "Guns. Lots of guns." scene? Now imagine: "PEWPEWs. Lots of them."

We could also name all our guns after melee weapons and our melee weapons after guns. :V
Something-or-other, Claymore launcher, Magnum sword.

It's a moot point anyways since no one but him wants this so it'll never get on the table in the first place.

Best to just calm down and do something else rather than just get the blood pressure raised going nowhere.
Technically, I want an aquatic unit. Well, accurately, I want a biological super-robot that would, by the nature of being biologial, be rust-resistant and waterproof, and thus technically able to swim (or, at least, dive no less than once).

In that specific instance, I'm referring to the building a giant aquarium idea.

I'm all for aquatic robots being developed as long as we aren't wasting our own limited base space. So other people having them that we help with development like Ground Pound is okay.

Ground Pound might even be the best unit to give aquatic capabilities to eventually because its nanomachines means it can seal over hull breaches a lot better than anything else and it won't need dedicated infrastructure that regular aquatic units do.

But we definitely don't need to have in-house aquatic units of our own since we're not specced for it development, deployment, and supply wise.

All our special tech tree weapons will also be pretty much neutered by water and there's only so much normal munitions can do against kaiju in an environment that explicitly favors them.

I was responding to Not in Person's quote regarding my own stance in regards to aquatic units in general.

But yes, I won't do such again.

No need to apologize, you were responding to a legitimate post and offeringclarification.
In a fashion that could easily be taken as "using it as an excuse to continue arguing his point after explicitly stating his intention to stop doing so."

At absolute maximum, he probably should've said something to the effect of "aquarium = bad, amphibious = good."

Back