The better question is why
It ain't the rat because it would be very counter productive to their operation nor is it miss hourglass
Maybe we need to see the neighbors

It could be just about anyone's fault. Expirementing on Witches is a time honored Meguca tradition.

I mean, we have NicoNico Douga down in Ashunaro making Clones of her Waifu out of Witch Bits. As well as her own psychotic clone using her own busted powers to make the surprisingly unimpressive Evil Nuts.

Waaaayyyyy back in Jean De Arc's time, there was Isabeau who managed to make herself One-Half Magical Girl, One-Half Witch, and One-Half Incubator. Somehow making 150% of herself out of stuff.

Madoka kinda did weird Witch Experiments as The Law of Cycles when she made Sayaka and Nagisa "angels" and somehow gave them their Witch's Powers on top of their own.

So really, it could be anyone's fault... even Asteroth's! Dun Dun Dun!

Knowing that this might be her only chance, Tira quickly re-opened the portal, so close that she could see its glow through a nearby wall. Springing over the familiars still writhing in pain, she burst through the sliding door that led to her escape and sprinted for the exit with all the speed she could muster. Behind her, FAR too close behind her, Tira heard another loud cry of "FU GEE!"… but before it could reach her, she was already stumbling out into an empty alleyway, nearly tripping over an empty glass bottle in her haste.

Stopping for a moment to regain her breath, Tira shot a nervous look back at the still open portal before turning away and running, scrambling down the alleyway and away from the barrier as fast as she possibly could.

(shakes head sadly)

As a magical girl we're overmatched. It's a shame, but there's only one way to defeat this asshole.

[X] Tira, Witch out for Superpowers!

Hold on Skull Witch, we're coming for you!

To mangle a quote, Once is a fluke, twice is enemy action. Who's making witches that can talk?

Is this really a, lets say 'exceptional' amount of communication? I'm not sure skullgirl really demonstrated anything more than instinctive hunting behavior. The note was exceptionally odd... but was it communication? From the PoV of the witch, it didn't look like it. TBH, what I took away from this chapter was that the other witch was not capable of 'speech'.

Expirementing on Witches is a time honored Meguca tradition.

This, on the other hand, is just a sad fact.

♪ Clip clop, clip clop; our foot upon the floor. | ♪ Tick tock, tick tock; we rip apart one more. ♪

♪ The Awen springing from their jar, dancing for their mother. | The Blodwedd rising from the dead, joining with each other. ♪

♪ To sing, to make, for beauty we must strive… | That is the pursuit to which we dedicate our lives. ♪

♪ The shifting of our hair... | ♪ The whistling through our- oh?

…this feeling… a guest? | An intruder?

Curious… | Could be tasty…
A witch, but not our protagonist. Also, she seems to be insane.

No matter how advisable she knew it was, she never liked it — checking to make sure nothing saw her enter always made her feel like she was breaking into someone's house, ridiculous as the thought was.
Tira is uncannily aware of the morality of her actions.

Lying on the floor of the room she'd just entered was a dead body. Not a particularly fresh one either, if the smell that it was emanating was any indication. The head had been split open, leaving the empty brain cavity exposed to the air for all to see. Most of the stomach was also gone, having been either torn out or eaten by… something.
Either a random victim or the former magical girl. Both implications are disturbing.

Sights like that weren't terribly uncommon in witch barriers, so one would think she would be used to things like that by now, and yet…
How often do witches eat their own corpses? Mm, fridge horror.

Standing about as tall as a man, the creature resembled a huge, yellowed skull with its lower jaw removed. Its eye sockets were filled with spheres of bone, indentations in their surfaces giving the impression of faces with their mouths stitched shut, the right one smiling happily and the left one frowning angrily. Long hanks of ragged black hair stuck out from either side of its head, their ends nearly brushing the floor, and a large red flower sat just above and to the side of them, a surprising lovely touch to an otherwise rather disgusting facade. All of this stood propped up upon a single, disturbingly human-looking leg, encircled by a piece of torn red cloth bound to the upper part of the limb by a thick piece of rope. The skin of the leg was pitted and scarred, and worse, appeared to have been molded as if in imitation of a thigh-high boot: a noticeable sheathe of tightly-stretched flesh encased the lower half of the extremity, with multiple tiny curved bones poking out in a manner that vaguely resembled elegant lacing. Absurdly, over top of this flesh boot it wore a single red flip-flop, the sole so large that it resembled a platform shoe more than anything else.
Cecil. Called it on page... 47.

Expecting retaliation, Tira leaped backwards to the edge of a different wall, but the witch didn't even seem interested in her. Instead, a tongue even longer than its hair extended from beneath the bottom of the skull, reached upwards, and
Quick, the witch is distracted! Kill her!

Hmm? | What's this?

Let's try a bit… | Just a tiny lick to start…

…eh? Ptewww!!! | Terrible! Poison!!!

How revolting... | Perhaps she'll taste better…
Truly a lady of good taste. :V

Tira couldn't help but scream out in pain as a horrible burning, searing sensation instantly began to radiate through her palm and fingers. Luckily, the hand that had been caught was also the one holding her penbrush. Thinking quickly, she forced an enormous torrent of paint to flow out of it, as much as the weapon could expel at one time. Quickly losing the ability to contain the sheer volume of fluid, the blood was forced to withdraw, leaving behind an excess of paint that quickly fell to the floor, as well as a hand that looked almost flayed to the bone. Before Tira could even react to her horrific injury, a high-speed foot slammed into her stomach, whips of razor sharp hair lashing at her face for a brief instant before she was sent flying backwards like a cannonball. She crashed bodily through several paper and wood walls before falling into a tumble, eventually rolling to a slow, agonizing stop.

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is "Never fight Walpurgisnacht all alone," but only slightly less well known is this: "Never lose sight of the witch who has attacked you!"

Sliding doors all around Tira suddenly opened, floral patterned masses of flesh pouring in alongside several small, four-legged jars.
Did Cecil summon the familiars, or did they arrive unprompted?

…what a shame. | We're still hungry
Why does it feel like we'll see Cecil again?
Neat backstory chapter. I learned a few things from this.
  • Cecil is capable of communication, but only uses it to taunt and distract her opponents. She is not a social creature.
  • I think Cecil has a split personality thing going on between the happy face and the angry face in her eye sockets.
  • Cecil gave Tira a traumatic injury that must have been very difficult to heal.
    • You could make a memoria card out of this! No. Don't.
  • This may be Tira's first big clue that witches are not as inhuman as they seem, though Cecil's hostility gave her doubts.
  • Cecil didn't seem... all there. Her world was limited to her barrier, her body, and her taste buds.

I imagine it's refreshing for Tira's meeting with Ashtaroth to have been a lot less disturbing and frightening. Add in the fact that Ashtaroth actually communicates, rather than distracts, and shows distinct personality beyond that of a monstrous hunter, and there are obviously clear distinctions.

Clearly, Ashtaroth needs to give Tira a hug in the near future.

Last edited:
Cecil seems to be self aware, if not exactly mentally present, maybe subsuming her might do her some good? Get her to a point where she can calm down? Also we'd get a house out of the deal

I don't think it was anyone in particular's targeted doing, given thinking witches are spread across at least two cities and there was (probably) only the magical girl who killed her at Asteroth's enwitching site.
I'd take a guess that the two voices we're seeing here are what remains of the original magical girl and her own, much louder witchstincts.

Let's not experiment on them right off the bat we are trying to make peace,(mutters plus they don't have any grief seeds that would either help us in long term or them in combat to actually risk or get accurate results)
Plus it might leave us vulnerable and Saar may not be happy

Nahhhhh, a council of war is a peaceful meeting. Just like this one, right?
Yes. Just like this one.

"I'm sure that together, we can"
Comma before "together".
That seems... off. Are you sure?
Yes.

Heh, "the souls of the witches". In other words, the witches? :p
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got one. The barrier entrance cannot share space with physical objects, but can kinda hop over small gaps (or, well, the opposite of gaps. Anti-gaps, if you will). Ashtaroth doesn't notice for the same reason we don't see the little blind spots in our eyes; her brain-equivalent isn't wired to notice, and just kinda translates over it. Except when she tries to enter a physical object, because that doesn't work.
I'd file that with the ad hoc theories, but a good one.

The question is really just what is a barrier entrance? When open, it's a portal—which is an unclear notion anyway, but whatever—but when it's closed? The heat-haze distortion effect is probably a geometric phenomenon (distortion of space) (but would that have a significant effect on people walking through it? …Maybe. I'm not familiar enough with optics to guess. Pretty sure they'd feel something, but it might just be a normal weird feeling), but it's also some kind of magical connection to the barrier, which is effectively a separate space (usually). That's presumably its primary function, and the distortion just a side effect.

On the other hand, considering such things as the entrance's movement and the formation of the barrier, it would seem to make the most sense if the barrier were to directly map to a locus in realspace, but be kept separate from it. I can't see this locus being much larger than the entrance; otherwise people would drop out of a destroyed barrier far from where they entered. The entrance would then be a portion of the barrier which is spatially consistent with external reality and more closely connected to it, while the rest of the barrier is distorted. Or perhaps only almost consistent, and the entrance-opening procedure serves to solidify that connection. Not sure if that works more generally.

I can't infer much from thematics. I think the second idea works better—in the first case we have to question why the link is formed and maintained, if the barrier is independent of the external world—but I'm not confident.

So, how does this interact with matter, then? If the "entrance" is just a magical node connecting the barrier to realspace, causing spatial distortions as a side effect, then it should interact with matter as magic does, which I think means go straight through. If it's a point of (near-?)congruency with a barrier which is still present in realspace, then some kind of drag force—a friction between the barrier and reality—could reasonably exist. As could a method for tunneling ("hopping", in your words, but I like the analogy to quantum tunneling), by shifting the location of the entrance within the realspace locus corresponding to the barrier.

Alright, so I like the second hypothesis better. It's also more compatible with familiar barriers and those witches witch influence a large area of reality. And the friction hypothesis could be used to explain why barriers move with the planet… but would suggest that their movement should be relative to their surroundings, and I don't believe that Ash's barrier moves with the wind. So… either discard friction, or add a force binding her to the planet's motion.

Or maybe it's just magic. I obviously don't know.

The solution is Ashy girl should invest in shovels.
You've misspelled "excavator".

My guess is that witchstincts or some other magical force is being unhelpful, probably because there is nothing Ashtaroth can bring despair to underground.
Moles are known for their unshakeable optimism.

I'd expect a different result if there was a subway station or something.
Maybe. We got a couple feet in, though, so I suspect it's matter of the thickness of the obstacle. There might be something going on with density of background magic or whatever, but that's… eh.

We do have another method of communication, outside of those listed:

[x] "Sure! Do you know Morse? I can open and close my entrance portal in controlled intervals to send a signal. Or I can move my barrier around, trace out characters? You'd be able to sense that even when the entrance is closed, right?"

'Cause hey, if she doesn't want to communicate by the most effective means available, we can just use the least effective means.

Two Minds / The Bloody Letter
The wordplay is appreciated, as always.

-11 days before Ashtaroth's "birth"-
Straight quotes? Unusual. My guess: you wrote this part in the SV editor, in order to do the alignment, and it doesn't automatically convert to fancy quotes.

The shifting of our hair... ♪ | ♪ The whistling through our— oh?
I have been unable to guess what the last word would have been. Air? Lair? Underwear?

a noticeable sheathe
Sheath. Sheathe is the verb. Like breath/breathe or loath/loathe.

All of this stood propped up upon a single, disturbingly human-looking leg
This is, to me, the worst part. A single leg, centrally located, but with a distinct handedness? The rest at least has an aesthetic, but that's just ew.

Though at first Tira thought it had to be a familiar, a brief check of her senses told her otherwise: the entity's magic felt too strong for this to be anything but the witch.
[Laughs in Shemesh]

She hadn't gotten the chance to paint or draw anything ahead of time like she usually did, which had left her rather ill-prepared for this fight.
Or an ambush.

no matter how much as she disliked it.
Something sharp… | …something useful.
Italicized the |.
She snatched it off of herself
Hyphen!
apparently intelligent enough to write

We can't really judge Cecil's intelligence from this. It's possible that she'd be open to dialogue, but it seems unlikely. Tira really does seem like she'd be happier without the magical girl life.

To mangle a quote, once is a fluke, twice is enemy action. Who's making witches that can talk?
Magical girls. :p

This, on the other hand, is just a sad fact.
I generally consider the human drive to understand their environment and adapt it to their preferences to be a good thing.

Last edited:
Plus, she seems entirely capable of planning and strategizing, which is bad. Since that's our biggest advantage over other Witches.

[X] Tira, Witch out for Superpowers!

This can't be the answer to EVERYTHING. :^P

I'm not sure skullgirl really demonstrated anything more than instinctive hunting behavior.

No no, a skullgirl is a different thing. :V

Cecil. Called it on page... 47.

Indeed you did. Well done. :)

How often do witches eat their own corpses? Mm, fridge horror.

Probably depends on the witch. In the case of Cecil, the Witch of Taste... well, I'll let you figure that one out.

Did Cecil summon the familiars, or did they arrive unprompted?

Not going to give a definitive answer for this, but at the very least, they very intentionally attacked Tira in tandem with each other.

...oh, and on that note: I think Cecil might be where at least part of that "familiars come from dead people" fanon comes from, as one of the familiars that I've named "Blodwedd" (the floral flesh masses of varying size) are visibly seen pulling themselves out of a nearby corpse just before Kyoko engages her. Personally I think this is more a trait specific to Cecil than a common witch thing, assuming that was even what the panel was trying to imply, but I can see why people may have started generalizing that idea.

(It's also notable that Kyoko sensed Cecil's emergence the moment it happened, was quite close by, and immediately went after her, yet Cecil had somehow already caught and killed someone within the presumably minuscule amount of time it took Kyoko to arrive. For a witch, she works VERY fast.)

The question is really just what is a barrier entrance?

I really doubt the creators of PMMM ever meant for anyone to think about it so deeply, but I admire that you do so all the same (especially since I do the exact same thing, if not quite to your level/standards). :)

Just under two weeks, and Tira hasn't gotten another spare grief seed? She must not get a lot of witches.

Kazamino is, shall we say, somewhat hotly contested territory.

The wordplay is appreciated, as always.

🥳

Straight quotes? Unusual. My guess: you wrote this part in the SV editor, in order to do the alignment, and it doesn't automatically convert to fancy quotes.

How did you even... yes, you're correct, the header indicating when this took place was a last minute addition I made in the editor itself. Well done, Holmes. 🕵️‍♂️

I have been unable to guess what the last word would have been. Air? Lare? Underwear?

The one I had in mind was "Lair", but there's at least one other word that would probably fit equally well.

This is, to me, the worst part. A single leg, centrally located, but with a distinct handedness? The rest at least has an aesthetic, but that's just ew.

Cecil's aesthetic is rather weird to begin with. Design aside, she's either the Witch of Taste OR the Witch of Elegance, depending on if you trust the manga over the wiki (I personally wrote her as the Witch of Taste whose nature is elegance), and she has a distinct ninja theme mixed in with that, between her barrier, speed, and ability to leave behind false images/notes/etc as distractions. She also has a sort of second form type deal upon her outer shell/skull being split open, and she can control her hair, blood, and eyes as flexible extensions of herself.

...oh, and she likes to sing. She's a weird, weird witch.

Sheath. Sheathe is the verb. Like breath/breathe or loath/loathe.

Yep, yep, and yep. I begin to wonder if I should just give up on hyphenating things at all; they've done nothing but bring me grief thus far. ^^;

Tira really does seem like she'd be happier without the magical girl life.

A statement applicable to a great many magical girls, I'd think.

Last edited:
I believe it's a left leg, by the way. So it's unlikely to be her dominant leg.

...oh, and she likes to sing. She's a weird, weird witch.
The witch of good taste is a hideous weirdo. The irony is strong in this one, even moreso than usual.

Not going to give a definitive answer for this, but at the very least, they very intentionally attacked Tira in tandem with each other.
Hiding in corpses to ambush the enemy is literally the Trojan Horse tactic. They're smarter than the average familiar!

...oh, and on that note: I think Cecil might be where at least part of that "familiars come from dead people" fanon comes from, as one of the familiars that I've named "Blodwedd" (the floral flesh masses of varying size) are visibly seen pulling themselves out of a nearby corpse just before Kyoko engages her. Personally I think this is more a trait specific to Cecil than a common witch thing, assuming that was even what the panel was trying to imply, but I can see why people may have started generalizing that idea.
Izabel's familiars are made of humans, but they are built from individual body parts, not spawned on the spot.

She also has a sort of second form type deal upon her outer shell/skull being split open, and she can control her hair, blood, and eyes as flexible extensions of herself.
As best I can tell, every part of her body is a tongue. The better to taste you with, my dear!

Well we know for a fact that familiars can't all be coming from dead people, because witches always tend to "spawn" with teeming hords of them

Another possible source of that fanon may be that IIRC many witch/familiar descriptions mentions them turning people into things, and some witches are seen to do weird things to people that arent straightforward killing.

Its also not really illogical to conclude that witches gain something from killing people, so in general the idea that killing people may result in more familliars could be right. Its just definitely not the only way that happens, and probably not 1:1 even if it does, given the veritable hordes of familiars everywhere (if each witch had killed hundreds of people before being defeated, civilization would have long since collapsed).

On the leg thing, that's a very common trait in Japanese depictions of monsters. In fact, Cecil looks every inch a Yuokai. The flipflop type sandal looks like a tall, pink plastic zobi or getta, her hair style is in the vein of a balding head like a Kappa, and the huge tongue is another common element. At first glance the flower sticks out, but that type of hair decoration is also common in period art, partially scroll work. She looks like a Tsukumogami really, maybe of that sandal there.

One thing I love about this story is that it's a different genre for different characters.

Like, Sayaka is stuck with cosmic horror, Mami is trapped in a psychological thriller (but believes she's in a standard magical girl setting), Tira is in a mystery/conspiracy thriller, Madoka and Hitomi are in a dark urban fantasy, Kyubey has no concept of genre because he's a weirdo, and Charlotte is in a sitcom.

Meanwhile, Ashtaroth is desperately trying to convince everyone that it's Undertale and you shouldn't kill the monsters, honest! :V

Last edited:
Like, Sayaka is stuck with cosmic horror, Mami is trapped in a psychological thriller (but believes she's in a standard magical girl setting), Tira is in a mystery/conspiracy thriller, Madoka and Hitomi are in a dark urban fantasy, Kyubey has no concept of genre because he's a weirdo, and Charlotte is in a comedy.
Kyubey is obviously living inside of a nature documentary series.
Just look at this young witch, how she majestically rise out of her book and hunts her natural prey, the idiotic wannabe shounen protagonist. :V

Meanwhile, Ashtaroth is desperately trying to convince everyone that it's Undertale and you shouldn't kill the monsters, honest!
His Theme intensifies.

Back