Star Wars General Discussion Thread

Random thought: Why did Lucas style the Old Republic Jedi robe to be the same as Obi Wan's robe in New Hope? I grasp the literal explanation as to why, because the look is iconic, but I don't really get it. Even if Tatooine is a backwater, wouldn't wearing a Jedi Robe somewhat give the game away if you're a fugitive Jedi?
There actually isn't a standard Jedi Robe: see: five Jedi all wearing different outfits in Attack of the Clones:

Left to right:
  • Yoda (front)
  • Mace Windu (front)
  • Barriss Offee (back)
  • Ki-Adi Mundi (front)
  • Luminara Unduli (back)

Also, it's not quite the same: Old Ben wears ankle-lengths skirts while Obi-Wan's skirts only go to mid-thigh.

Will it involve them then having "serve" a better purpose?
Now, if Windu was promising to remove the compulsion to obey Sith (or anyone else), that would be very different.
If the restrictions on their free will are part of their programming, then removing it requires reprogramming. Since just about anything is better than what they're doing, it's a better purpose.

... that being said, in retrospect it's a really fucking weak example for Droid rights. It's way more of a "trying to negotiate even when it's hopeless" thing.

... that being said, in retrospect it's a really fucking weak example for Droid rights. It's way more of a "trying to negotiate even when it's hopeless" thing.
Well, really, it's an example of the authors trying to make their characters sympathetic by following laws of war that would be recognizable to the audience (offer surrender where feasible, accept surrender if it is offered, etc.). Tangentially, it makes clear that droids are subject to and protected by the laws of war, or at the very least, that Windu thinks they ought to be.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Plinkett mentioned it as well ages ago in one of the prequel reviews. I was just curious if there was any attempt at explanation.
There must be some on a Wookiepedia article somewhere. As for outside-universe, nothing gets between Star Wars and indulging in nostalgia. Not even the story they're trying to tell.

Personally, I'd have gone with the space doublets in the Belated Media What Ifs and/or some sort of armour.

Last edited:
There must be some on a Wookiepedia article somewhere. As for outside-universe, nothing gets between Star Wars and indulging in nostalgia. Not even the story they're trying to tell.

Personally, I'd have gone with the space doublets in the Belated Media What Ifs and/or some sort of armour.
I googled and someone did some analysis on Twitter:

threadreaderapp.com

Thread by @tragicsunshine on Thread Reader App

@tragicsunshine: I disagree with this thread and will lay out key points that show that the apparent visual blandness of the Jedi fashion choices serve the film, both in terms of story and visuals 1/12 First...…

Key points:
Most of the galaxy in Star Wars dresses in drab colors because most of the individuals we see are from the lower class. The wealthy upper class in SW dress more elaborately and in brighter colors (trade federation, Queen Amidala, Lando) 7/12
Although the Jedi as an organization have power and resources, they live an ascetic live, eschewing indulgences like fashion and displays of wealth. Their garment choice, the Earth tone garment of the people, implies humility & that they are of the people (implies) 10/12

Summary: Jedi don't wear a uniform, they just dress like peasants.

Wow, I feel a bit bad for going off on bluntblade when people like you exist.

• George Lucas has specifically said that there were two continuities/universes since 2005, one of which was just movies, and the other of which included all the old comics and novels.
  • The Clone Wars is part of both continuities/universes
  • Disney renamed the continuity/universe without the old comics and novels "canon" and the one with "Legends"
  • All or almost all the new comics are in the "canon" continuity/universe.
What you are doing is like claiming that descriptions of the Terran Empire in Star Trek are accurate descriptions of the United Federation of Planets.

• The implication is "I can kill you but I would prefer not to," not "I want to kill you"
  • The context is that they are (presumably) literally programmed to fight the war without free will, much like how the Sith use the inhibitor chips to remove the clones' free will.
  • Jedi promoting clone individuality is something that shows up in The Clone Wars, which covers the vast majoirty of the three years in which Jedi were fighting alongside clones. It doesn't directly appear in the movies because it is a setting detail, and they don't have time for that when telling the story of Anakin deciding to become Palpatine's slave.
  • You are using deliberate vagueness (and lack of scale) to dishonestly produce a false equivalence ("bothsame"). We see the difference between how Sidious treats Vader and how Obi-Wan treats Anakin. We see the change from a massively multispecies Jedi Council and a multispecies Republic Senate to a totalitarian dictatorship in which 99% of positions of power are held by humans. We see the Sith slaughtering Jedi children. We see Sidious abducting Force-Sensitive children to perform some kind of medical procedure to secretly mind control themwhile the Jedi try to rescue them, we see every single one of the countless clones being mind controlled by the Sith and forced to betray their friends, we see the Sith DESTROYING INHABITED PLANETS!
  • There is no virtue to honest evil over dishonest good. Good is always better than evil.
  • They aren't cautioning against healthy feelings.
  • The Jedi didn't advocate just letting it happen, he just didn't tell them any details so they couldn't help beyond trying to make it less painful! (EDIT: except their advice might have actually kept her alive because if he hadn't gone nuts with the Dark Side, he might not have murdered her)
  • Have you provided any canon evidence that Grievous is fighting for droid liberation?

EDIT: oh, right forgot a point:
  • The world is more important than your wife. If you are so attached to your wife that you would choose to destroy or enslave the world to save her, and you have the power to make that happen, then you need to be stopped, quickly, possibly by killing you.
This is the last time I'm gonna respond to you. I've said multiple times that I don't think the Sith are the "good guys" but then the Jedi aren't really all that good either. They use mind control when it suits them, they kill people, aliens and Droids when it suits them. They involve themselves in political and judicial matters they don't have a right to. The Sith may be ragey but the Jedi are intrusive. And this kind of culture where just having powers and a zappy sword allows you to interfere with law enforcement matters is a huge problem with viewing the Jedi as good guys totally IMO. Sure, the Sith used mind control chips, and Mace Windu threatens all the Droids with death, and Rey and Obi-Wan (I think he was "Not the Droid you're looking for") used mind control. If it's bad when Sith do it, the Jedi don't get to "double dip" and use Dark Side powers, or else they are dishonest no-good hypocrites. IMO.

And you don't have to agree but I haven't seen you provide canon evidence it wasn't about liberation. Just that "Sith are liars so obvi it wasn't about what they said." Which would be a valid point if I were speaking from the perspective of somebody who knew that George Lucas made the Sith unrealistically, cartoonishly evil. I'm pretty sure even the evilest evil dictator wouldn't blow up a planet just to flex his muscles. And the Sith did that. So okay, they're evil, and I never argued against that. But they have a side to their philosophy about using your anger and rage and passion to help you, and that seems kinda romantic to me, but I'll give you that most of the canon Sith have terrible personalities.

I do like Ventress tho.

If the Droids can only be presumed to fight without free will then that's not a point in your favor. Also you are utilizing the increased ambiguity to create a false situation ("The Droids were probably programmed to fight without free will") and not allowing me to do the same later.

If it doesn't appear in The Attack of the Clones movie, I won't discuss it, because we've been over how expecting Star Wars fans to consume all the material is unfair.

Yes, some of the Sith are racist, but Darth Maul came from an alien planet, I don't think Ventress was a plain human (Tho I could be wrong) and they actually respect Droids. Or at least General Grievous did. And my "canon evidence he was fighting for liberation of Droids" is that I'm almost 100 percent certain that's what he said he was doing and they never caught him lying. Really, cartoonishly evil methods don't magically erase that he was fighting for Droid liberation.

Good that obscures its true actions may as well be evil. They justify the same behavior as the Sith when it suits them.

Yes, they are. Being attached to (AKA "loving and cherishing") your wife is not evil.

They told him to let go of his clearly prophetic dreams I'm pretty sure Yoda literally said something like, "Let it go." So yes, they advocated letting it happen.

The world is not more important than love. Love, marriage, wives and babies make the world possible to exist. It isn't a Duty versus Love issue at all. The Jedi made it that way because they shun healthy attachments/love.

And that's it for me. You're hostile, declare anything you don't like "not canon," expect me to read a million comic books when they should include setting details in the movie and throw in a dig about "people like me." Dude, for real, too much nerdy aggro. Bug off please.

Ah, Star Wars and its ability to backfill almost anything.
I mean...

Luke is most definitely not wearing any kind of special outfit in this scene:

Yet he looks like the only thing keeping him from fitting into this scene is his age:

This is the last time I'm gonna respond to you. I've said multiple times that I don't think the Sith are the "good guys" but then the Jedi aren't really all that good either. They use mind control when it suits them, they kill people, aliens and Droids when it suits them. They involve themselves in political and judicial matters they don't have a right to. The Sith may be ragey but the Jedi are intrusive. And this kind of culture where just having powers and a zappy sword allows you to interfere with law enforcement matters is a huge problem with viewing the Jedi as good guys totally IMO. Sure, the Sith used mind control chips, and Mace Windu threatens all the Droids with death, and Rey and Obi-Wan (I think he was "Not the Droid you're looking for") used mind control. If it's bad when Sith do it, the Jedi don't get to "double dip" and use Dark Side powers, or else they are dishonest no-good hypocrites. IMO.

And you don't have to agree but I haven't seen you provide canon evidence it wasn't about liberation. Just that "Sith are liars so obvi it wasn't about what they said." Which would be a valid point if I were speaking from the perspective of somebody who knew that George Lucas made the Sith unrealistically, cartoonishly evil. I'm pretty sure even the evilest evil dictator wouldn't blow up a planet just to flex his muscles. And the Sith did that. So okay, they're evil, and I never argued against that. But they have a side to their philosophy about using your anger and rage and passion to help you, and that seems kinda romantic to me, but I'll give you that most of the canon Sith have terrible personalities.

I do like Ventress tho.

If the Droids can only be presumed to fight without free will then that's not a point in your favor. Also you are utilizing the increased ambiguity to create a false situation ("The Droids were probably programmed to fight without free will") and not allowing me to do the same later.

If it doesn't appear in The Attack of the Clones movie, I won't discuss it, because we've been over how expecting Star Wars fans to consume all the material is unfair.

Yes, some of the Sith are racist, but Darth Maul came from an alien planet, I don't think Ventress was a plain human (Tho I could be wrong) and they actually respect Droids. Or at least General Grievous did. And my "canon evidence he was fighting for liberation of Droids" is that I'm almost 100 percent certain that's what he said he was doing and they never caught him lying. Really, cartoonishly evil methods don't magically erase that he was fighting for Droid liberation.

Good that obscures its true actions may as well be evil. They justify the same behavior as the Sith when it suits them.

Yes, they are. Being attached to (AKA "loving and cherishing") your wife is not evil.

They told him to let go of his clearly prophetic dreams I'm pretty sure Yoda literally said something like, "Let it go." So yes, they advocated letting it happen.

The world is not more important than love. Love, marriage, wives and babies make the world possible to exist. It isn't a Duty versus Love issue at all. The Jedi made it that way because they shun healthy attachments/love.

And that's it for me. You're hostile, declare anything you don't like "not canon," expect me to read a million comic books when they should include setting details in the movie and throw in a dig about "people like me." Dude, for real, too much nerdy aggro. Bug off please.
  • The Jedi are not "interfering with law enforcement", they are law enforcement! They're basically space-FBI in the prequels
  • Once again, you ignore scale, duration, and thoroughness to equivocate about how both Jedi and Sith are "almost as bad"
  • I am saying "I have seen no canon evidence that the Separatists even claimed to be about droid rights", which you could refute easily with even one canon source in which they do. What you are asking for is called "proving a negative"
  • When we are discussing the setting rather than the quality of the movies, then it is entirely reasonable to draw in other materials, you dumbass.
  • Show me a scene of Grievous saying that "in The Attack of the Clones movie" (hint: you can't because Grievous doesn't appear in Attack of the Clones, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't say it in Revenge of the Sith either)
  • Loving and cherishing someone is not attachment. Attachment, as used in Star Wars refers to the inabilty to let go of someone. Loving and cherishing someone is just called love, and is "Central to a Jedi's Life" (Anakin Skywalker, Attack of the Clones)
  • If the vision doesn't have enough details to figure out what's going on, or if the person with the vision won't tell you what's in it, you can't fuckind do anything about it
  • No, your handful of personal loved ones are not more important than the millions, billions, trillions, or however many people exist in the galaxy.
  • The Jedi didn't put the two in conflict, Darth Sidious did, and if you had ever watched Revenge of the Sith, you would know this, because that is exactly how the scene in Sidious's office is set up: Darth Sidious, who intends to enslave the galaxy, asks Anakin to save him from Mace Windu, because Sidious can allegedly save Anakin's wife.

And you don't have to agree but I haven't seen you provide canon evidence it wasn't about liberation.
That isn't how burden of proof works.

Or at least General Grievous did. And my "canon evidence he was fighting for liberation of Droids" is that I'm almost 100 percent certain that's what he said he was doing
Neither is that. You can't make up evidence.

But they have a side to their philosophy about using your anger and rage and passion to help you, and that seems kinda romantic to me, but I'll give you that most of the canon Sith have terrible personalities.
It absolutely is Romantic, in the historical sense of the word. And that should be troubling, because the greatest exponent of Romanticism was Wagner, who's been effectively appropriated by fascism with the able assistance of his estate's executors.

Yes, some of the Sith are racist, but Darth Maul came from an alien planet, I don't think Ventress was a plain human (Tho I could be wrong) and they actually respect Droids.
IIRC, Maul and Ventress are from the same planet, are of different species, and neither is human.

• The Jedi are not "interfering with law enforcement", they are law enforcement! They're basically space-FBI in the prequels
  • Once again, you ignore scale, duration, and thoroughness to equivocate about how both Jedi and Sith are "almost as bad"
  • I am saying "I have seen no canon evidence that the Separatists even claimed to be about droid rights", which you could refute easily with even one canon source in which they do. What you are asking for is called "proving a negative"
  • When we are discussing the setting rather than the quality of the movies, then it is entirely reasonable to draw in other materials, you dumbass.
  • Show me a scene of Grievous saying that "in The Attack of the Clones movie" (hint: you can't because Grievous doesn't appear in Attack of the Clones, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't say it in Revenge of the Sith either)
  • Loving and cherishing someone is not attachment. Attachment, as used in Star Wars refers to the inabilty to let go of someone. Loving and cherishing someone is just called love, and is "Central to a Jedi's Life" (Anakin Skywalker, Attack of the Clones)
  • If the vision doesn't have enough details to figure out what's going on, or if the person with the vision won't tell you what's in it, you can't fuckind do anything about it
  • No, your handful of personal loved ones are not more important than the millions, billions, trillions, or however many people exist in the galaxy.
  • The Jedi didn't put the two in conflict, Darth Sidious did, and if you had ever watched Revenge of the Sith, you would know this, because that is exactly how the scene in Sidious's office is set up: Darth Sidious, who intends to enslave the galaxy, asks Anakin to save him from Mace Windu, because Sidious can allegedly save Anakin's wife.
And I'm supposed to like thugs who are approved by law to meddle in law enforcement matters? There were regular, non-powered human soldiers and officials. Powers and a zappy sword doesn't make you equipped to handle law enforcement. It's kinda like saying "We're okay with giving a rookie cop a huge gun and telling him it's okay to shoot people when necessary (Like how the Jedi justify killing)" and then believing that rookie cop with his huge gun won't ever shoot anybody unnecessarily because the gun is special and we trained him super good. Jedi are not equipped to be law enforcement, they are a religious order, and should even IMO be stripped of lightsabers. If Jedi and Sith had a harder time getting zappy swords, and their powers were not given special significance, I could see liking Jedi.

Jedi are "double dipping" in Dark Side powers because they're totes hypocrites. If Mind Control is Evil then it's evil regardless of scale. If killing indiscriminately is bad, as much as I love Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu, he made a tactical error by threatening "100,000 Droids" with death or reprogramming.

And I just saw canon evidence that Jedi threaten to kill a whole bunch of their opponents. You know who may say something like that? General Grievous. And if it's bad when he says it, it's bad when Jedi escalate a diplomatic situation, essentially by daring the enemies to attack. Or else they will be forcibly reprogrammed. Mass mind control. The Separatist Droid Army was pretty big. He wanted to reprogram a whole bunch of sentient beings just 'cause? 'Cause he's Samuel L. Jackson? Or do the Jedi have problems with their power to meddle in law enforcement with their powers too?

Anyway, yes, General Grievous was around during the time of the Clone Wars. No, I did not say he was in the Attack of the Clones movie. But he existed and trained under Count Dooku. So nyah, if we're bringing in all these comic books and stuff, I didn't even know he wasn't in the Attack of the Clones movie, but he existed during that time, and you're the one that kept bringing up clones so what I meant was: If Separatists making a whole bunch of sentient beings just to fight for them is wrong, from what I've seen described, the Jedi made clones just to fight for them too.

I mean, I admit I didn't see Attack of the Clones, but I saw Revenge of the Sith and Phantom Menace. Please stop calling me dumbass and insulting me and being nerdy aggro or else I will fucking report your ass.

It is not reasonable to expect me to consume a million comic books with conflicting portrayals of events and personalities. If my Knights of the Old Republic sucks, so do your comics, and they're not applicable.

Then "attachment" as defined by Jedi still has problems. You don't want to let go of somebody you love by them dying. Up until Anakin was a dick and Force Choked Padme, I was with him, you can't just "let go" and watch somebody you love die. The Jedi told him to sit down and shut up while his wife died. He did choke her and is a dick, but until that point, I was with him. Love is more important than "the world" or "duty."

Yes, your loved ones are very important to you and movies frequently have heroes and heroines whose motivations are to "save the world for the people they love" because without your personal loved ones, the world ceases to exist, so if we all were happy to let our relatives die I would call that unhealthy. Jedi shun love.

I did watch Revenge of the Sith and don't ever call me "dumbass" again or else I'm reporting you. The Jedi put the two, love and duty, as opposing extremes by nature of their own philosophy that shuns real emotions. Fuck diluted "moderate" emotions. Real, raw, passionate emotions get things done. And that is a flaw of the Star Wars films.

Anyway here's a bit that says kinda what I'm looking for:

General Grievous Quote said:
"Listen to me, Jedi. I do not care about your politics. I do not care about your Republic. I only live to see you die!"―General Grievous's message to the Jedi Order[src]

And this:

General Grievous reveals that his fight is for Droids to live in 'a future without Jedi' said:
"An army with no loyalty, no spirit, just programming. What have you to show for all your power? What have you to gain?"
"The future. A future where there are no Jedi!""
―Obi-Wan Kenobi and General Grievous, after Grievous stated he was not a errand boy and was the leader of the droid army[src]

Checkmate dude. He's fighting to liberate Droids and people from oppressive weird zappy-sword-monks who think their swords and powers give them the right to act like FBI thugs. I like General Grievous.

That isn't how burden of proof works.

Neither is that. You can't make up evidence.

It absolutely is Romantic, in the historical sense of the word. And that should be troubling, because the greatest exponent of Romanticism was Wagner, who's been effectively appropriated by fascism with the able assistance of his estate's executors.

IIRC, Maul and Ventress are from the same planet, are of different species, and neither is human.
I found quotes for General Grievous where he argues he is liberating Droids and everybody really from Jedi. So I didn't make nothing up please and thank you.

I guess you're right. I don't support fashy fashions. I do like Ventress and some of the Sith tho. I should re-examine why I suppose.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I call that a reach. Grievous isn't anti-Jedi as a means to some end, he just wants to kill Jedi as an end in itself.
Great. Good thing I'm losing my will to care when my debating opponents straight up call me a dumbass and sh**. I found canon sources supporting my claim. I'd like the people who wanna argue to argue among themselves rather than quoting me. It's harassment.

Rule 3: Be Civil
And I'm supposed to like thugs who are approved by law to meddle in law enforcement matters? There were regular, non-powered human soldiers and officials. Powers and a zappy sword doesn't make you equipped to handle law enforcement. It's kinda like saying "We're okay with giving a rookie cop a huge gun and telling him it's okay to shoot people when necessary (Like how the Jedi justify killing)" and then believing that rookie cop with his huge gun won't ever shoot anybody unnecessarily because the gun is special and we trained him super good. Jedi are not equipped to be law enforcement, they are a religious order, and should even IMO be stripped of lightsabers. If Jedi and Sith had a harder time getting zappy swords, and their powers were not given special significance, I could see liking Jedi.

Jedi are "double dipping" in Dark Side powers because they're totes hypocrites. If Mind Control is Evil then it's evil regardless of scale. If killing indiscriminately is bad, as much as I love Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu, he made a tactical error by threatening "100,000 Droids" with death or reprogramming.

And I just saw canon evidence that Jedi threaten to kill a whole bunch of their opponents. You know who may say something like that? General Grievous. And if it's bad when he says it, it's bad when Jedi escalate a diplomatic situation, essentially by daring the enemies to attack. Or else they will be forcibly reprogrammed. Mass mind control. The Separatist Droid Army was pretty big. He wanted to reprogram a whole bunch of sentient beings just 'cause? 'Cause he's Samuel L. Jackson? Or do the Jedi have problems with their power to meddle in law enforcement with their powers too?

Anyway, yes, General Grievous was around during the time of the Clone Wars. No, I did not say he was in the Attack of the Clones movie. But he existed and trained under Count Dooku. So nyah, if we're bringing in all these comic books and stuff, I didn't even know he wasn't in the Attack of the Clones movie, but he existed during that time, and you're the one that kept bringing up clones so what I meant was: If Separatists making a whole bunch of sentient beings just to fight for them is wrong, from what I've seen described, the Jedi made clones just to fight for them too.

I mean, I admit I didn't see Attack of the Clones, but I saw Revenge of the Sith and Phantom Menace. Please stop calling me dumbass and insulting me and being nerdy aggro or else I will fucking report your ass.

It is not reasonable to expect me to consume a million comic books with conflicting portrayals of events and personalities. If my Knights of the Old Republic sucks, so do your comics, and they're not applicable.

Then "attachment" as defined by Jedi still has problems. You don't want to let go of somebody you love by them dying. Up until Anakin was a dick and Force Choked Padme, I was with him, you can't just "let go" and watch somebody you love die. The Jedi told him to sit down and shut up while his wife died. He did choke her and is a dick, but until that point, I was with him. Love is more important than "the world" or "duty."

Yes, your loved ones are very important to you and movies frequently have heroes and heroines whose motivations are to "save the world for the people they love" because without your personal loved ones, the world ceases to exist, so if we all were happy to let our relatives die I would call that unhealthy. Jedi shun love.

I did watch Revenge of the Sith and don't ever call me "dumbass" again or else I'm reporting you. The Jedi put the two, love and duty, as opposing extremes by nature of their own philosophy that shuns real emotions. Fuck diluted "moderate" emotions. Real, raw, passionate emotions get things done. And that is a flaw of the Star Wars films.

Anyway here's a bit that says kinda what I'm looking for:

And this:

Checkmate dude. He's fighting to liberate Droids and people from oppressive weird zappy-sword-monks who think their swords and powers give them the right to act like FBI thugs. I like General Grievous.

I found quotes for General Grievous where he argues he is liberating Droids and everybody really from Jedi. So I didn't make nothing up please and thank you.

I guess you're right. I don't support fashy fashions. I do like Ventress and some of the Sith tho. I should re-examine why I suppose.

Thank you.
Back to front:
  • Those quotes don't show Grievous (who is not a droid) fighting to liberate droids, they show him fighting to kill Jedi.
  • Emotions that do not rule the person having them are no less real than those that consume and destroy their person. You advocate for the latter, because you relish in destruction.
  • So you endorse genocide.
  • That is not how canon works. Canon Star Wars has become a large fandom with lots of stuff in it. KOTOR was never part of the main Star Wars universe, except to the extent that it mimicked the main Star Wars universe exactly.
  • You specifically said "If it doesn't appear in The Attack of the Clones movie, I won't discuss it". How does it feel to make yourself a liar?
  • The Jedi Order wasn't involved in the creation of the clones. Dooku, who left the order years prior and was already a Sith, was.
  • The droids would have started shooting when they noticed Mace anyway.
  • Jedi are duly authorized law enforcement officers you disingenuous genocide-supporter!

Last edited:
Great. Good thing I'm losing my will to care when my debating opponents straight up call me a dumbass and sh**. I found canon sources supporting my claim. I'd like the people who wanna argue to argue among themselves rather than quoting me. It's harassment.
I am not @RadiantPhoenix and would appreciate not being accused of their name-calling, thank you.

And you put an extraordinary claim out there, first with no evidence and then with some of the flimsiest this side of balsa wood. It's not unfair or harassing to challenge that.

Last edited:
Back to front:
  • Those quotes don't show Grievous (who is not a droid) fighting to liberate droids, they show him fighting to kill Jedi.
  • Emotions that do not rule the person having them are no less real than those that consume and destroy their person. You advocate for the latter, because you relish in destruction.
  • So you endorse genocide.
  • That is not how canon works. Canon Star Wars has become a large fandom with lots of stuff in it. KOTOR was never part of the main Star Wars universe, except to the extent that it mimicked the main Star Wars universe exactly.
  • You specifically said "If it doesn't appear in The Attack of the Clones movie, I won't discuss it". How does it feel to make yourself a liar?
  • The Jedi Order wasn't involved in the creation of the clones. Dooku, who left the order years prior and was already a Sith, was.
  • The droids would have started shooting when they noticed Mace anyway.
  • Jedi are duly authorized law enforcement officers you disingenuous genocide-supporter!

LOL. It's a rule to attack the argument and not the person. I don't support genocide. The fact is the Jedi kill and hurt people to get their jobs done. And I have said over and over again that the Sith have sucky personalities mostly. I like their philosophy about emotions, which it was pointed out was kinda fashy, so I'll re-examine it but: If Jedi can go around and hurt and kill people, General Grievous was putting an end to it, and they wouldn't listen because they thought their powers made them above the law. I still say it was a fight for liberation from people with oppressive powers. He didn't even care about remaining in Dooku's employ from what my other quote implies. He cared about using military might to force oppressive thugs to sit down and shut up like they tell everybody else.

How do I "relish in destruction?" Emotions don't "consume" teenage girls. If emotions won't consume you at 13, then in a galaxy far, far away a bunch of monks who practiced self-control for years should have exactly zero problems with any form of love. Jedi shun love.

Nope, I don't, because this is a movie. However Jedi still would mass-slaughter Droids during conflicts and... yes, kill their opponents, so they're two sides of a fashy coin. The Jedi just hide their fash behind the fashion of lame, dumb "moderate emotions."

Multiple people have told you that "we don't have to read all your canon" to know what is canon. I won't argue it again.

I'm not a liar LOL, I meant events from Attack of the Clones would only be applicably discussed if we stuck to the movie only, and if I included General Grievous in there somehow I'd like a quote of me specifically mentioning General Grievous. I do believe I said "we're only talking about the movie" when you started... bringing up clones.

The Jedi still conscripted clones into their war effort.

Nah, you can only "presume they would start shooting," but Mr. Jackson is hella handsome I'll give him that.

A "Supreme Chancellor" of the Republic gave them law enforcement power. That's kinda fashy. They do the same things as Sith. Kill, mind control, the scale doesn't matter because George Lucas wouldn't show a realistic portrayal of the Jedi Order as having flaws. And even when he tries to white wash over their flaws, I still see them, like warning against love and demanding "100,000 Droids" submit to forced reprogramming or death.

I am not @RadiantPhoenix and would appreciate not being accused of their name-calling, thank you.

And you put a strong claim out there, first with no evidence and then with some of the flimsiest this side of balsa wood. It's not unfair or harassing to challenge that.
A'ight fair enough. I just feel RadiantPhoenix is like looking for reasons to call me as bad as Darth Sidious or something at this point so I'm a little frazzled.

I do think the General Grievous quote demonstrates his motivation is at least a little altruistic. And necessary. Because Jedi are law enforcement-trained thugs and would only listen to a forceful "request" to strip themselves of power and step away from the normal people and cyborgs and Droids.

Last edited:
LOL. It's a rule to attack the argument and not the person.
If you believe a poster is violating the forum rules, best practice is to report their offending posts :)

I do think the General Grievous quote demonstrates his motivation is at least a little altruistic.
I don't see it. I think it's purely selfish. Grievous was a Jedi-hunter before he was a CIS general. He kills Jedi because it's a rush, and makes him feel big and strong. He works for the CIS because Dooku helped him become a better Jedi-hunter and because the CIS's war policy gives him a lot of chances to kill Jedi. Grievous isn't driven by principle or ideology or even solidarity; he's a hedonist.

Because Jedi are law enforcement-trained thugs and would only listen to a forceful "request" to strip themselves of power and step away from the normal people and cyborgs and Droids.
This interpretation is straightforwardly belied by events. When the Jedi moved against Sidious, their intended course of action was to put him on trial before the Senate. Not to assassinate him and not to assume power for themselves - though Sidious lyingly attributed both motivations to them.

Coming back to the discussion of tragic flaws, if you want to project an interesting tragic flaw on the Jedi Order as a whole, it is over-dedication to civic duty as opposed to moral or spiritual truth. Ultimately it was the Republic Senate that deputized them first to resolve its internal disputes and then to lead its armies, duties the Jedi accepted no matter how poorly they jived with the core of their doctrine. The Senate, meanwhile, abdicated its own responsibilities to the Jedi and the Chancellor, and when that resolved into the ancient Jedi-Sith conflict, was powerless to do anything about it.

Last edited:
LOL. It's a rule to attack the argument and not the person. I don't support genocide. The fact is the Jedi kill and hurt people to get their jobs done. And I have said over and over again that the Sith have sucky personalities mostly. I like their philosophy about emotions, which it was pointed out was kinda fashy, so I'll re-examine it but: If Jedi can go around and hurt and kill people, General Grievous was putting an end to it, and they wouldn't listen because they thought their powers made them above the law. I still saw it was a fight for liberation from people with oppressive powers. He didn't even care about remaining in Dooku's employ from what my other quote implies. He cared about using military might to force oppressive thugs to sit down and shut up like they tell everybody else.

How do I "relish in destruction?" Emotions don't "consume" teenage girls. If emotions won't consume you at 13, then in a galaxy far, far away a bunch of monks who practiced self-control for years should have exactly zero problems with any form of love. Jedi shun love.

Nope, I don't, because this is a movie. However Jedi still would mass-slaughter droids during conflicts and... yes, kill their opponents, so they're two sides of a fashy coin. The Jedi just hide their fash behind the fashion of lame, dumb "moderate emotions."

Multiple people have told you that "we don't have to read all your canon" to know what is canon. I won't argue it again.

I'm not a liar LOL, I meant events from Attack of the Clones would only be applicably discussed if we stuck to the movie only, and if I included General Grievous in there somehow I'd like a quote of me specifically mentioning General Grievous. I do believe I said "we're only talking about the movie" when you started... bringing up clones.

The Jedi still conscripted clones into their war effort.

Nah, you can only "presume they would start shooting," but Mr. Jackson is hella handsome I'll give him that.

A "Supreme Chancellor" of the Republic gave them law enforcement power. That's kinda fashy. They do the same things as Sith. Kill, mind control, the scale doesn't matter because George Lucas wouldn't show a realistic portrayal of the Jedi Order as having flaws. And even when he tries to white wash over their flaws, I still see them, like warning against love and demanding "100,000 Droids" submit to forced reprogramming or death.

A'ight fair enough. I just feel RadiantPhoenix is like looking for reasons to call me as bad as Darth Sidious or something at this point so I'm a little frazzled.

I do think the General Grievous quote demonstrates his motivation is at least a little altruistic. And necessary. Because Jedi are law enforcement-trained thugs and would only listen to a forceful "request" to strip themselves of power and step away from the normal people and cyborgs and Droids.
  • You do support genocide. You literally said so: "Up until Anakin was a dick and Force Choked Padme, I was with him" given that Anakin's participation in the genocide of the Jedi was before that, you have actually said so. This is evidence that you are a dumbass.
  • Grievous was going around hurting and killing people.
  • If your emotions lead you to knowingly support genocide and slavery, either they have consumed you or you were evil all along. Typical teenage girls aren't in a position where they have the power to do that, so it is doesn't make a huge difference.
  • Jedi are explicitly encouraged to love, you just don't seem to understand any form of "love" other than all-consuming obsession.
  • That is not how canon works.
  • The droids Mace Windu is talking to are enemy combatants.
  • Jedi Knights have been involved in law enforcement for the entirety of the Star Wars saga prior to being genocided by Anakin Skywalker and Sheev Palpatine and their minions, and an unspecified amount of time before. AFAIK, we know basically nothing about how the Jedi Order wound up as space FBI.
  • You said "this kind of culture where just having powers and a zappy sword allows you to interfere with law enforcement matters is a huge problem", which implicitly accepts the idea that law enforcement exists. The Jedi certainly not more problematic than real or most fictional law enforcement agencies.
  • You literally support Darth Sidious's genocide of the Jedi.

If you believe a poster is violating the forum rules, best practice is to report their offending posts :)

I don't see it. I think it's purely selfish. Grievous was a Jedi-hunter before he was a CIS general. He kills Jedi because it's a rush, and makes him feel big and strong. He works for the CIS because Dooku helped him become a better Jedi-hunter and because the CIS's war policy gives him a lot of chances to kill Jedi. Grievous isn't driven by principle or ideology or even solidarity; he's a hedonist.

This interpretation is straightforwardly belied by events. When the Jedi moved against Sidious, their intended course of action was to put him on trial before the Senate. Not to assassinate him and not to assume power for themselves - though Sidious lyingly attributed both motivations to them.

Coming back to the discussion of tragic flaws, if you want to project an interesting tragic flaw on the Jedi Order as a whole, it is over-dedication to civic duty as opposed to moral or spiritual truth. Ultimately it was the Republic Senate that deputized them first to resolve its internal disputes and then to lead its armies, duties the Jedi accepted no matter how poorly they jived with the core of their doctrine. The Senate, meanwhile, abdicated its own responsibilities to the Jedi and the Chancellor, and when that resolved into the ancient Jedi-Sith conflict, was powerless to do anything about it.
Gotcha. Shall do.

I see it. "Revolutionary" figures, people who have strong passionate feelings, use bombastic language. A military guy may say he's gonna beat up his opposition real bad until they're all dead or something, but we don't think they necessarily would, and that wasn't the case with General Grievous.

So I think my quote works.

The Senate may not have fairly judged criminals. I could see that being argued by somebody other than Palpatine. And so yeah, "of course" the Senate was totes fair and never imposed wrong judgments because George Lucas made it very, cartoonishly, painfully clear who we should support.

Nah, the Jedi's problems are their wonky philosophy of "shut up your real emotions and use your powers like a thug."

• You do support genocide. You literally said so: "Up until Anakin was a dick and Force Choked Padme, I was with him" given that Anakin's participation in the genocide of the Jedi was before that, you have actually said so. This is evidence that you are a dumbass.
  • Grievous was going around hurting and killing people.
  • If your emotions lead you to knowingly support genocide and slavery, either they have consumed you or you were evil all along. Typical teenage girls aren't in a position where they have the power to do that, so it is doesn't make a huge difference.
  • Jedi are explicitly encouraged to love, you just don't seem to understand any form of "love" other than all-consuming obsession.
  • That is not how canon works.
  • The droids Mace Windu is talking to are enemy combatants.
  • Jedi Knights have been involved in law enforcement for the entirety of the Star Wars saga prior to being genocided by Anakin Skywalker and Sheev Palpatine and their minions, and an unspecified amount of time before. AFAIK, we know basically nothing about how the Jedi Order wound up as space FBI.
  • You said "this kind of culture where just having powers and a zappy sword allows you to interfere with law enforcement matters is a huge problem", which implicitly accepts the idea that law enforcement exists. The Jedi certainly not more problematic than real or most fictional law enforcement agencies.
  • You literally support Darth Sidious's genocide of the Jedi.
I'm reporting all of these posts as another person told me. No, I don't support genocide. General Grievous may support genocide but then so do the Jedi. The Separatist Droid Army was made up of sapient beings. Sapient beings the Jedi had zero problems killing. En masse. But then it's a war. If you would let me have my like of weird emo ragey villains, and not supporting their fascism or genocide, because you're only saying that to score 'net points in a flame war. And it's against the rules. Please stop.

Anyway, you're reaching very far, because I definitely never said I support him killing people or anything. I found that abhorrent. What I meant was that I could see his love for Padme was strong, and the Jedi introduced this nonsense about just letting her die, so they told him to act incompatibly with his morality and he rebelled. Yes, Darth Sidious is a crappy old racist guy. For real. I like Maul and Ventress anyways, who were henchpeople at most, not that you really seem to care much about being fair to me or my arguments.

I just said if Jedi are always justified even when they make an error of daring the enemies to attack, so are the Sith, and it's not "both sidesing" or whatever the new lingo is. It's just that in war neither side is pretty. Neither side is without fault. And George Lucas made the Sith cartoonishly evil and the Jedi cartoonishly "good" (Not even 'cause they mind control and kill too) so there wasn't any question. But even then they do things like mind control and mass-kill sentient droids.

Grievous was making the thugs listen with military might. I'm not concerned about being nice to people like Jedi who feel entitled to interfere in planetary stuff the normal people can do.

LOL, nobody here supports genocide or slavery, and I don't think General Grievous would even go out of his way to exterminate all the Jedi. That was Sidious's thing. Grievous wanted a challenge from a good opponent and to make the big tough babies who cry when you hurt them back sit down.

LOL, this is evidence that you are something at least, because I know deeply about emotions of love and I have never advocated for obsession.

Neither is how you expect us to read ten million comic books "how canon works."

Who said the Droids wouldn't have been peaceful if he tried honest negotiations rather than intimidation?

Yes, the Jedi most certainly are just as problematic as some real law enforcement officials, because they embody the idea that having superior firepower (Force powers and lightsabers) gives them special rights to interfere with other matters, to kill, to use coercion and mind control. Jedi suck in some of the same ways and are problematic in some of the same ways as real life law enforcement. And they kill people too. And use mind control.

LOL, I quoted General Grievous saying Jedi should die, and did I suddenly turn into a movie character?

Last edited:
My take away from the movies was that the Jedi was for the most part celibate. The whole aesthetic tells me "space buddhist/ holy knight order" which are not known for their romance. I do not really see "Jedi are encouraged to love" as referring at all to the romantic or erotic type of love. A lover is very much an attachment, married or not.

Oh and Grievous are very much not fighting on the behalf of the droids. He kills his own droids repeatedly during The Clone Wars when he is angry. He has no clams about sacrificing droids in ROTS either.

I also have an unpopular opinion about Star Wars about "Only material in the movies matter". At this point I think "The Clone Wars" tv-series is about as mainstream and well known as the movies and are therefore just as valid to use in arguments.

Back