{sarcasm}Bah, real men use Guren Kaina! "But Zuriga," you say, "I don't want to fill my gauntlet with gunpowder! My hand would get blown off!" What are you, some kinda pansy?{/sarcasm}

For some reason this made me think "What if the seal is drawn with gunpowder?". That leads me to wonder if you can multiply the the effectiveness of explosive runes by placing them on something that is itself an explosive. Like a baseball of C4 with an explosive rune on it.

For some reason this made me think "What if the seal is drawn with gunpowder?". That leads me to wonder if you can multiply the the effectiveness of explosive runes by placing them on something that is itself an explosive. Like a baseball of C4 with an explosive rune on it.
Good sir, your mind is a danger to all and sundry. ❥

This gives me an idea for an explosion glove.

The glove would have an array on the palm. It detects explosions. Any part of an explosion that leaves a specific conular area in front of the array is automatically sealed and released in the correct direction.

This would turn any explosion the glove can absorb into a shape charge with no backwards force. It would also increase the power of the explosion by an order of magnitude because it would be entirely focused rather than having waste energy in all directions.
What a fascinating and dangerous idea.

Black Powder explodes too damn easily, though c4 is an excellent material to make a seal out of. Mind you, if you want c4 to explode, you will need an electrical current (which is different from lightning chakra) because c4 was designed to be nigh-impossible to explode unless you (the operator) desires it to. Setting it on fire, shooting it, exploding it and other methods were used to test if c4 explode prematurely; they failed.

Typos correct would be:
"Since you're first to arrive, you can help me warm up for the spars with the girls today!"

So, this bit below turned out rather long, and might possibly come off a bit harsh? I'm not entirely sure. If so I don't intend it to be so, rather the goal is to inform since it seems you are not particularly versed in cryptography (in truth I myself am not great at the topic, having only had one class actually on it, and a couple that briefly covered the subject, but I know some, and an general interest in the field has caused me to look up information before). I do rather like the fic so far, so when I saw issue covered below it rather stood out to me, and I felt the need to address it.

Alright, I just spent Way too long looking into this. So, first off, the method he's using is Fake:Japenese -> Spoken English translation -> chroniclers ciphers. that was his system.

First off, is the differences in phenomes between English to Japanese. English is considered to commonly has 40 phenomes. Japenese ahs closer to 100. so right of the bat that means it's not a 1-1 translation phenome wise. Beyond that, English as a general rule has wonky and somewhat irrational language rules, and you make a good point. Toru should indeed use some more esoteric and flowery language in his coding. ti would help.

The biggest security feature he has is that no one else in the elemental nations speaks or reads English or any Latin-based language. that's a huge stepping stone to keep things encoded. This is Egypt to Rome language barrier, this is 'I need a Rosetta stone' territory. Part of the reason he did his hybrid earlier is to give him some form of logical alibi for having his own personal language.

Beyond that, spoken English is weird! its a mish-mash of random prefixes and root words, half of them stolen from some language or another. by writing them phonetically it means that he doesn't; put down the English spelling for it.

So let's say your mythical coder does try and decipher Toru's book. First, he has to recognize it as phonetics. which, considering that A) it's not following Japanese sentence/word structure and B)not using as many distinct phenomes in its translation as the Elemental Japenese. is a difficult first step.

Then you have to decode the sounds of the phenomes, and sound out the encoded information. This means you have to speak a language you've never heard.

And then, just from the decoded sound, you have to work out meanings, word structure, differences in meaning based on how you say each word.

I'll admit. its not the best code in the world, but for a Genin rank it's fairly damned impressive.

This gives me an idea for an explosion glove.

The glove would have an array on the palm. It detects explosions. Any part of an explosion that leaves a specific conular area in front of the array is automatically sealed and released in the correct direction.

This would turn any explosion the glove can absorb into a shape charge with no backwards force. It would also increase the power of the explosion by an order of magnitude because it would be entirely focused rather than having waste energy in all directions.

So... Colonel Mustang and Kimblee's bastard offspring of alchemy?

Also known as 'FUCK OFF DEIDARA, YOUR ART SUCKS FUINJUTSU'.
{sarcasm}Bah, real men use Guren Kaina! "But Zuriga," you say, "I don't want to fill my gauntlet with gunpowder! My hand would get blown off!" What are you, some kinda pansy?{/sarcasm}
Yeah, it's not like you need those arms.

This... This is a good comment. this comment has merit. it gives Ideas.

Also, sorry for the wait! Busy at work and had the Salt Lake Comic-Con last weekend, which took up a lot of free time.

I think that would be additive explosives, not multiplicative. Basically just using a tag as an oversized detonator.

Alright, I just spent Way too long looking into this. So, first off, the method he's using is Fake:Japenese -> Spoken English translation -> chroniclers ciphers. that was his system.
I'll admit. its not the best code in the world, but for a Genin rank it's fairly damned impressive.

Regarding the cryptographic properties, this sounds essentially like the code talkers from WWI and WWII. Using a language others have never had experience with is actually a very sound encryption, especially if you encode it beyond that.

Even after capturing a native speaker of the language, since that speaker had not been taught the code on top of the language, the Japanese command were unable to understand the messages. With the only speaker of the language being Toru, they wouldn't even get that far unless they tried to force him to get that information, at which point the cipher is really the least of his problems.

So, first off, the method he's using is Fake:Japenese -> Spoken English translation -> chroniclers ciphers. that was his system.
So from what I gather you mean he translates it to English, then uses the pronunciations of the English words to convert it to the cypher. That is more sensible (and I'd commented on it being so from what I recall), than just using the fake:Japanese as spoken by an English speaker. The wording however suggested that he did the latter method.
First off, is the differences in phenomes between English to Japanese. English is considered to commonly has 40 phenomes. Japenese ahs closer to 100. so right of the bat that means it's not a 1-1 translation phenome wise.
While this is true, there is the issue that the chronicler's cypher would be a more intuitive writing system for a speaker of Japanese or presumably fake:Japanese. Additionally, English has only 26 letters, which is condensing things down even more, and pronunciation is based on letter groups (that are made up of an arbitrary number of letters, including 1 letter groups). This would be far more strange and hard to work out for a translator. Really, the idea that the graphemes correlate to phonetics is likely the starting assumption in a setting where that's how all the languages work. That said, there is something of an issue with this view.

So let's say your mythical coder does try and decipher Toru's book. First, he has to recognize it as phonetics.
The thing is, while that would be required if one wanted to work out how the writing maps to spoken English, there is no reason the code breakers would be interested in doing so. As far as they are aware there may not even be a spoken form, and the language exists purely as writing to encode messages or notes in. The thing they would be interested in, is linking meanings to the patterns of symbols written, which would require properly recognizing said patterns. The question then becomes one of if the Latin Alphabet or the Chronicler's Cypher is better at preventing proper recognition.

So, as far as pattern recognition goes, which is better? Well, on account of how spelling in English makes use of letter groups where various combinations of letters alter how it is pronounced, this means there would be far more repeating patterns of letters than using the Chronicler's Cypher where each phoneme is represented by a specific grapheme. This could result in misattribution of meaning to a pattern of characters that simply represent a sound rather than being a meaningful part of a word that etymological roots would link to other words containing said pattern (for instance "ight" occurs in both "night" and "right", but there is not a common meaning behind it that the first letter is modifying, compared to "ology" in "biology" and "archaeology" which is the "study of ____"). On the other hand, the fact that words are drawn from many different languages means that there are spellings taken from said different languages, thus allowing a difference in meaning between two portions that sound the same but have different origins to be more evident (as well as possibly making it easier to link to other words drawing on that same source for meaning and spelling). What is easier to deal with likely depends on the person, so this is a bit of a tossup as to which works better for keeping meanings secret.

Then there is the issue of how the two writing systems deal with homophones, homographs, and synonyms along with the overlaps between them as seen. Looking at the venn diagram linked, the bottom section of synonym that does not overlap with the other two categories is unimportant for this, as is the middle section for identical words, as both of these sections would be handled equally by the two writing systems (more or less, aside from potential issues noted above). As pronunciation is unimportant except in how it impacts the spelling of words written with the Chronicler's Cypher the bottom two categories remaining each only important for the writing system that makes them different. Namely, different spellings for the same word in pronunciation and meaning only impacts code breaking attempts if the word is written in the Latin Alphabet, as they would be identical in Chronicler's Cypher, while words with different pronunciation but the same spelling and meaning would be the same in English, but different in the Chronicler's Cypher. As the meanings are the same, these categories are only helpful in ambiguity caused by the difference making it harder to recognize patterns of meaning. The fact that there are decent amounts of both would make it largely a wash, but I'd place it in favour of Chrinicler's Cypher if Toru decided to introduce the random usage of various dialects/accents into the mix (for instance spelling a word like it's pronounced with a Southern Drawl, vs a Brooklyn Accent, vs a British Accent, etc.), though this might make it harder for him to read it himself later.

Looking at the top portion of the venn diagram though, it's better for systems to share spellings to add ambiguity, as the meanings are different and and that throws off recognizing patterns. Homonyms are the same between the two writing systems, in that both will have different meanings but the same spelling, so neither is better or worse there. As for heterographs and heteronyms, the former favours the Chronicler's Cypher, where it will have the same spelling, while the latter favours the Latin alphabet where is will have the same spelling. The question is then which has more examples, and I can't say I'm entirely sure., though I'd expect it to be heterogaphs, as I can think of more off hand, but then I don't really notice heteronyms except if I'm thinking about the topic while using them. There are lists that can be found of both categories, though I'm unsure of how complete they are as well as how common the words in them are. It also doesn't help if only one half is used (of course, it would be possible for Toru to intentionally make use of either category more than one might in normal usage of English). That said, it seems likely that there are more heterographs than heteroglyphs, so I'd tentatively put this in favour of Chronicler's Cypher for difficulty in translating, if only a bit.

Ultimately, either writing system would likely be rather difficult for the translator if they have no basis to work with, though the Latin Alphabet would likely be clearly harder if they were trying to work with knowledge of the spoken form. Without it though, there are prone to be more instances of overlapping spelling/different meaning in Chronicler's Cypher, and it's easier to introduce cases of different spelling/same meaning via dialect/accent compared to just finding synonyms which works for both writing systems. However, given how difficult either would be for a random code breaker to translate with no prior knowledge of English at all, and nothing in a known language to provide context, I'd personally lean toward using the Latin Alphabet, even if it might come out slightly behind, if only because it would make it far easier to read personally, and there really isn't any reason to be adverse to using the Latin Alphabet since no one knows it. Being able to read it at a glance without having to mentally stop to convert it from the Chronicler's Cypher to the pronounced form and from there working out what it means, along with not needing to do the reverse when recording information, would be both very convenient, and also allow the reading and writing of notes to be much faster and thus able to be stored more rapidly, reducing the chance of someone actually seeing it. This speed could also be handy if in the future he needs to record notes in the field.

That said, there isn't really a reason he couldn't make use of both in separate circumstances (for instance Chronicler's Cypher for his notes at home when he has plenty of time to deliberate upon them and there is no need to rush, and Latin Alphabet while in the field (or with information he'll need to read in the field) where speed is potentially important). This would even be helpful in that despite being the same language, from a cod breaker's view, they are two separate codes that would not be easy to link together provided he doesn't make a key for them somewhere. For best results, Toru would avoid using both in the same missive/writing to help keep them seeming distinct from each other. It would also mean that if he decided to re-record his top secret orders in English using the Latin Alphabet before destroying the original and heading out on his mission, if someone stole it they couldn't try cross referencing the writing with his journal that is written in English using the Chronicler's Cypher.

owrtho

First off, is the differences in phenomes between English to Japanese. English is considered to commonly has 40 phenomes. Japenese ahs closer to 100. so right of the bat that means it's not a 1-1 translation phenome wise. Beyond that, English as a general rule has wonky and somewhat irrational language rules, and you make a good point. Toru should indeed use some more esoteric and flowery language in his coding. ti would help.

The biggest security feature he has is that no one else in the elemental nations speaks or reads English or any Latin-based language. that's a huge stepping stone to keep things encoded. This is Egypt to Rome language barrier, this is 'I need a Rosetta stone' territory. Part of the reason he did his hybrid earlier is to give him some form of logicaitalibi for having his own personal language.

Beyond that, spoken English is weird! its a mish-mash of random prefixes and root words, half of them stolen from some language or another. by writing them phonetically it means that he doesn't; put down the English spelling for it.

So let's say your mythical coder does try and decipher Toru's book. First, he has to recognize it as phonetics. which, considering that A) it's not following Japanese sentence/word structure and B)not using as many distinct phenomes in its translation as the Elemental Japenese. is a difficult first step.

Then you have to decode the sounds of the phenomes, and sound out the encoded information. This means you have to speak a language you've never heard.

And then, just from the decoded sound, you have to work out meanings, word structure, differences in meaning based on how you say each word.

So... Colonel Mustang and Kimblee's bastard offspring of alchemy?

Also known as 'FUCK OFF DEIDARA, YOUR ART SUCKS FUINJUTSU'.

Yeah, it's not like you need those arms.

This... This is a good comment. this comment has merit. it gives Ideas.

Also, sorry for the wait! Busy at work and had the Salt Lake Comic-Con last weekend, which took up a lot of free time.
Use multiple Japanese characters for each english phenome with a rotating cipher wheel style decoding method that he completely memorizes and doesn't write down so that the meanings of each character are different from page to page, with randomized blocks of characters to confound anyone attempting to decode it.

Last edited:
Use multiple Japanese characters for each english phenome with a rotating cipher wheel style decoding method that he completely memorizes and doesn't write down so that the meanings of each character are different from page to page, with randomized blocks of characters to confound anyone attempting to decode it.
Secure. Note nearly paranoid enough. You know how Naruto Biju seal is invisible unless he is channeling chakra?
Imagine applying the same principle to your writing. Even better of it replaced what's "written" down with the actual message. Combine it with some form of seal embedded in each note book keyed to your chakra.
One designed to cause the innocent messages to vissually disappear, leaving you with a blank page to write down your encrypted messages that only appear when the seal is active. Add in failsafes to incinerate it if someone tries to forcible break the seal.
Maybe even eventually be capable of sealing away multiple "pages" of information in each page.

That would conceal it in plain sight.
While still encoded since you are dealing with ninja after all.
On that thought a decoy encrypted message that appears on a failed attempt to open it, and changeable chakra handsign pass codes could also be added if one thinks it needs even more security.

Some form of locking seal and explosive paper bomb traps could also be added if you are downright paranoid.
Integrate means to record the chakra signature of whoever holds it, as well as whover opens it and you might have something the anbu starts trying to copy if they do not already have it.

On the other hand what happens to the sealing pocket dimension when you burn the scroll?

Last edited:
>Dark-Tora

Combined with the comments above this makes me think of suicide bomber Tora. That in turn makes me remember that Deidara creates living exploding sculptures. This leads me to female crazy cat lady Deidara who throws exploding cats at people.
You know, even without the explosions, the whole Living sculptures would be rather useful....
i mean, want to get something across the room? get a sculpture to get it for you, want to get somewhere quickly? flying sculpture.
want fresh fish for dinner? amphibious sculpture.
clothes blew up in jutsu accident? clothes scultures.
want to entertain guests? Sculture battles/plays.

You know, even without the explosions, the whole Living sculptures would be rather useful....
i mean, want to get something across the room? get a sculpture to get it for you, want to get somewhere quickly? flying sculpture.
want fresh fish for dinner? amphibious sculpture.
clothes blew up in jutsu accident? clothes scultures.
want to entertain guests? Sculture battles/plays.
Kakuzu: "...Huh, we should do this a loooooong time ago. Easy money at it's best."

Deidara: *gritted teeth in impotent fury*

I will chime in to agree that he shift to a cypher is useless when the plaintext is in an alphabet that no unintended reader has any way to be familiar with. Further, the use of a non-syllabic alphabet that is often not as phonetic as advertised would make it even harder.

At best, the Chrinicler's Cipher is makework that accomplishes nothing to thwart codebreakers who don't already know he English alphabet and spellings.

Empress- 3
WHOO NEW CHAPTER WHOO!

I breathed slowly as I ran my hands through a cycle of one-handed seals. The scroll detailing them sitting on the desk in front of me. The issue would be controlled when learning this. The better my understanding of how it shaped my chakra, the greater it would become. I needed to focus.

I kept running my hands through the seal's, eyes closing as I focused inwards.As I slowed the sequences, I began to breathe, focusing on my chakra, wanting it to calm to move like the tide. To pulse slowly out, and in.

I breathed out once more, and suddenly I could feel… something, a shape, a design. I tensed slightly, loosing it, and forced myself to relax once more.

In.

Out.

The tide, rushing in, the beach vanishing.

The water retreating into the sea, leaving sand and stone in its wake.

And then… I could feel it.

My hand flipped from one seal to the next, each one making a flowing shape, an impressionist artist depiction of constellations, form in my mind. I focused, feeling each one, feeling it trace itself as I held each hand sign. it reminded me of rubbing your eyes and keeping them closed, repeating ever-shifting images that slowly began to form definite shapes and patterns...

Without breaking my breathing, I started the academy 12 hand signs, feeling each flow each conduit open as the meanings became slowly more clear.

And then, as easily as I had gained it, I lost the zen, the faint sound of a crashing plate all that was needed to wake me from my trance.

I blinked and looked at my hands. Reaching for the clarity.

I tried to remember how each sign felt, only to curse as the half felt memories seemed to slip through my fingers.

Great.

Let's try this again.

In…

Out…

---------------

I looked at the piece of paper held out for me, Sensei holding them fanned out for the three of us.

"Chakra paper?" Kohaku tilted her head. "But I know my affinity."

"Still good to check it Kohaku, you could always be developing a secondary affinity."

She considered that and nodded, before reaching out and pulling a paper, me and Yumi did the same.

"Wonderful. Now all you do is channel chakra to the paper and…" the piece of paper in his hand seemed to crumple before igniting, "As you can see I have a Raiton and Katon affinity. Most of my clan has Raiton as a primary or secondary at some point."

Yumi channeled her next, and her paper also crumpled. "Guess I also have Raiton?"

Kohaku did as well, and her paper simply turned to ash. "As usual, I have a strong Katon."

I paused and did the same, watching intently. The paper seemed to start breaking and crumbling before the crumbled paper seemed to drip off my hand, splattering as a clump of paper mache on the ground.

"Ah, a Suiton and Doton dual affinity You are surprisingly defensive and utility oriented, Toru. The most famous person with that affinity I can think of is the Shodaime, who had access to the Mokuton." I nodded slowly, already considering what I could remember about earth and water techniques. Earth has solid defenses and battlefield manipulation. Something about gravity, so potentially how to orient myself. I should look that up.

For water, it was easier. I did remember the Wave Arc details fairly clearly, due to the sheer multitude of ways it was done. Water has a fairly fluid and easy to control shape, so that implies versatility. It also specializes in swift attacks, whereas earth is more decisive, water was supposed to be fluid, adapting.

I could work with that.

"So what now sensei?" Kohaku spoke up, and sensei smiled.

He pulled three scrolls from his pouch and handed one to each of us. "As you know, I'm a Yamanaka, my clan specializes in mental jutsu. My clan head, my cousin Inochi, Has a fairly large library of mental jutsu he's more than willing to hand out. They aren't clan specific, and none of them are either dangerous, or particularly complex. I chose one for each of you, and I'll help you with developing them."

"For Kohaku, I have a technique that is a twist on a basic mind art, it's to help develop a 'Mental Library'. It's one of the preludes to developing a 'Mind Palace', but it should help with improving reflexes and memory."

"For Yumi, I have a technique that should help with spitting focus, one of the things that I know you'll need to use some of the higher stage Shadow jutsu. Your Clan head actually suggested it."

"Shikaku-san?" Yumi asked, blinking in surprise.

"Indeed. He has a list of Inochi's extra jutsu for his clan to learn if they have the aptitude. If you had been in a Ino-Shika-Cho Combination, like the clan heads, you would have learned these over time." Santa-sensei grinned. "He recommends you apply these to your shadow bind, being able to fire two independent links at once is your current milestone." Yumi nodded, And from her expression was already going over the use of multiple bindings.

Sensei turned towards me now. "Toru, for you I have something a bit more difficult. I mentioned you were starting with both genjutsu and sensing, and i was given this. Its one of the things I was taught to do, commonly called the 'Haunted perception'. It's a mental perception filter, designed to help you with integrating the chakra sensor aspect of your mind into your other senses. It should allow you to alter how you perceive your chakra sensing, allowing things that you sense with chakra to be interpreted in your other senses. It's difficult, but with your role as a genjutsu and tool specialist, it will help you."

I nodded, and looked at the scroll as the girls were doing. The basic exercise seemed to be focusing on a single signature and shifting how you perceive it from an active search to a passive effect. Some of the examples of how you could do this was using chakra levels as glowing halo's, seeing chakra types as a variety of colors, smelling past uses of chakra by their natures, and hearing sounds or music when chakra is being used. Interesting stuff.

Santa helped walk us through the first stages of each technique for the rest of the morning. Mine was the aforementioned first step, and i was using Sensei as the focus. Kohaku was meditation, with orders to imagine writing a page of a book or scroll on a random subject, and then putting it on a shelf. She was to do this three times for each technique, and then at the end of the morning sensei would have her quote it. Yumi was told to meditate as well, with her trying to imagine a river, that split in two directions. She was to follow each one as far as she could while thinking of both. If she stopped thinking of one, she was to start over.

At lunch, we were all feeling a bit stressed out. Yumi had barely gotten any further than what she equated to a few meters, Kohaku was gotten less than a paragraph of each of her pages memorized, and even then, she had issues with it. And I thought I could see a faint blue tint to Sensei's silhouette to my eyes, but it vanished every time I blinked, so I may just be hallucinating.

So when sensei gave us the afternoon off, with a suggestion to hang out to 'Increase team cohesion' we all decided to hit a cheap but tasty sushi bar in my neighborhood.

As we crowded into the booth, I pulled out a deck of cards and started cutting and shuffling the deck one-handed, my face buried in the sleeve of my arm, trying to rest my eyes. "I think I'm hallucinating blue marks. That or I've kept my eyes open way too long."

"Ouch," Yumi chuckled. "I personally, have a splitting headache. What about you Kohaku."

"I have a sentence of words that sort of rhyme stuck in my head. On repeat," she muttered, before sipping her tea. Speaking of, I have tea! should drink that when my vision clears up.

I and Yumi hissed in consolation.

"That sucks," I muttered, hand flipping what I was sure was a Joker from the deck and holding up it with my fingers. I tilted my head to see it to check… fuck. That was the 3 of clubs. Wrong card.

I sighed and flipped it back in. If that was the 3C, where was the Joker? I probably fucked a shuffle up. Damn.

We chatted on the tasks we and how far we were at so far, until food came. We had pooled together to get a variety platter, and I instantly narrowed in on the crab and avocado (which were apparently native to the Land of Rivers). As we talked I was at this point i was just shuffling the cards aimlessly. I had already screwed up my mental image of the deck as it is.
Yumi started talking to Kohaku about updating their outfits since they were now genin. Kohaku suggested Yumi get dark blues and blacks, accented with brighter blue. Kohaku was planning on greys and reds. I mentioned they should pay attention to the tightness of sleeves, and suggested Kohaku wear a longer waistline but shorter sleeves, play off the nobility look. This seemed to signal that they should include me in the fashion discussion, and they both slowly worked me into the conversation. Suggesting a brighter shirt under the black button-up and jacket. I actually agreed, and started talking colors.

And before I knew it, I had been tagged to go shopping with them.

Great. Fuck you and your fashion savvy past me, I know I didn't pick that up in this life.

And I did remember helping the girls past me knew with shopping. I know it's not the worst thing in the world...

Also bloody rare. Isn't water is the least common affinity in the land of fire and earth is rarer than lighting. The only thing less common would be storm with water air.
...No? I mean, the only thing I heard was rare is wind, since as far as its stated the only users of that in Konoha besides Naruto are Danzo and Asuma. Beyond that the first Hokage has both water and earth (plus the craziness known as wood), the second is one of the most powerful water users known to man, and the third Hokage has a penchant towards earth as far as I know. and beyond that Toru's gramps has a water affinity. I thought it was just the fact that fire is the most common, the wind is the least, all the others are some form of average. like I could see water being a bit less common due to the level of fire, but I don't remember hearing anything about water being the rarest.

Edit: NINJA'D!:ninja::ninja::ninja:

Back