Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Iron Man.

Tech Genius.

Still forced to use fax machines.

None of my high school students even knew what a fax machine was until I told them that when we didn't have email... we had to literally digitally mail our letters to each other through machines.

Between Heart attacks, strokes (the rates of both probably exerbaited by rampant drug abuse), accidents, long and medium term injuries, etc the Lawyer population has dropped notably, but the total workload remained unchanged.
The workload temporarily skyrocketed with all the legal chaos caused by all of those deaths. Part of the reason, Noa spoke about a case not expected to be sorted out until 92, that she's attending so many shareholder meetings is they can't even say for sure who owns what stock.

Iron Man.

Tech Genius.

Still forced to use fax machines.

None of my high school students even knew what a fax machine was until I told them that when we didn't have email... we had to literally digitally mail our letters to each other through machines.

I mean, unless Stark goes out of his way to break into her office to build her a better way to receive messages, he's kinda got no other option than to work with the tech she has instead of the tech he theoretically has access to. And I feel like that's probably more of a waste of time than even he can justify.

I mean, unless Stark goes out of his way to break into her office to build her a better way to receive messages, he's kinda got no other option than to work with the tech she has instead of the tech he theoretically has access to. And I feel like that's probably more of a waste of time than even he can justify.
He was however considering building an Iron Man suit that would automate the process before Pepper stopped him.

Huh. So @October Daye is Noa having her head up her ass intentional on your part as a writer or is it just coming out like that?

Cause I'm pretty sure you know that countering a social pressure problem with social pressure doesn't work unless the person doing the counter is higher on the cultural totem pole than the original source of the problem.

Which Noa as a lesbian mutant attorney in the 90s Marvel is most definitely not when it comes to cocaine use among lawyers.

Huh. So @October Daye is Noa having her head up her ass intentional on your part as a writer or is it just coming out like that?

Cause I'm pretty sure you know that countering a social pressure problem with social pressure doesn't work unless the person doing the counter is higher on the cultural totem pole than the original source of the problem.

Which Noa as a lesbian mutant attorney in the 90s Marvel is most definitely not when it comes to cocaine use among lawyers.
Flip side: Joshua knows that Noa isn't going to fire him for being gay, unlike pretty much every other law firm out there. Which is the entire reason that Sam pointed Joshua her way, instead of keeping his son in-house.

He can give up the cocaine. Or he can give up not being completely closeted. Or he can give up trying to be a lawyer.

(And given that Noa is known in similar social circles, due to their "complementary preferences", it's possible that tanking the job with her would also tank his social/love life…)

-Thinks back to the Iron Man Movies from 2000s-
-Shifts setting to pre-Turn of the Century-
...this tracks.

Also Pietro continues to be a Good Guy and I continue to be endeared.

Joshua please kick the habit before things get bad.

My guess is either a new pair of hands gets on board or something else gives. There's just too much happening.

Professional athletes had steroids. Doctors had opioids. And lawyers?

We had cocaine.
Ah, the "wonderful" world of occupational "performance enhancers". I'm sure law has plenty of its own "but [insert name here] was perfectly functional" anecdotes to justify it, too. (In mathematics, it's amphetamines, with the usual anecdote being Paul Erdos's "I can quit any time I want" bet - which he could, but as I tell students, the first rule of Paul Erdos's drug habit is that you are not Paul Erdos.)

Flip side: Joshua knows that Noa isn't going to fire him for being gay, unlike pretty much every other law firm out there. Which is the entire reason that Sam pointed Joshua her way, instead of keeping his son in-house.

He can give up the cocaine. Or he can give up not being completely closeted. Or he can give up trying to be a lawyer.

(And given that Noa is known in similar social circles, due to their "complementary preferences", it's possible that tanking the job with her would also tank his social/love life…)

Or he could just evaporate and go into a different set of social circles like Zoe Quinn has done multiple times, but good point that he'd have to leave the City of New York in order to not get burned by tanking his job with Noa.

What the heck is "The Arrival"? Did I miss or forget something since the last Chapter?

What the heck is "The Arrival"? Did I miss or forget something since the last Chapter?
The Arrival was a few chapters ago, when Galactus showed up and went "HEY EVERYBODY I'M HERE TO EAT THE EARTH". So rather than just skim over that fact like a lot of comics would do post-event, October had it actually be a massive, world-shaking event that resulted in the deaths of... no idea exactly, but at least tens of thousands, probably scales up much higher than that.

So now everyone left is dealing with a combination of "Giant face shows up to eat the entire world and you could do literally nothing but lay down and hope your death is swift" PTSD, and trying to clean up and get the world back in order after tons of people died. In particular, Noa is getting hit hard with the fact that there's tons of legal documentation that needs sorting through because of how many people just spontaneously up and died, while the entire legal sector is also understaffed because being a souless lawyer does not in fact protect you from having a Galactus-induced heart attack.

The Arrival was a few chapters ago, when Galactus showed up and went "HEY EVERYBODY I'M HERE TO EAT THE EARTH". So rather than just skim over that fact like a lot of comics would do post-event, October had it actually be a massive, world-shaking event that resulted in the deaths of... no idea exactly, but at least tens of thousands, probably scales up much higher than that.
Slightly over one hundred thousand people in New York City alone, and that's after Pietro rescued fifteen thousand more.

So now everyone left is dealing with a combination of "Giant face shows up to eat the entire world and you could do literally nothing but lay down and hope your death is swift" PTSD, and trying to clean up and get the world back in order after tons of people died. In particular, Noa is getting hit hard with the fact that there's tons of legal documentation that needs sorting through because of how many people just spontaneously up and died, while the entire legal sector is also understaffed because being a souless lawyer does not in fact protect you from having a Galactus-induced heart attack.
Roughly 1-2% of the global population just flat-out died as a result of Galactus' Arrival. This is something that will be spoken of the world over with the same hushed, reverential terror that 9-11 had in the US for quite a few years after the fact.

For Joshua, she's his boss and appears willing to lean on the hard power side of that if necessary.

(For Sam, she seems to be leaning on a mix of personal history and knowing his wife, who she seems to believe has significant leverage...)

Roughly 1-2% of the global population just flat-out died as a result of Galactus' Arrival. This is something that will be spoken of the world over with the same hushed, reverential terror that 9-11 had in the US for quite a few years after the fact.
not 9-11, even in the US
that is a number of deaths more on par with WW2
pretty much everybody would know a victim

These #MeToo apologies from Tony are years in the making.
To be fair to Tony, he never coerced, blackmailed, or otherwise forced anyone into a relationship.

What he WAS, was someone who'd openly be chasing the next girl as soon as he caught the last one.

Sleezeball behavior, but not someone I'd consider a sexual predator. Someone with issues, and maybe someone who needs a sex therapist for his inability to commit. But someone who didn't hide what he was doing from any of the women he slept with.

Also I'd not be shocked if he didn't end up with 20 types of STDs, only to develop cures for himself.

(edit) Admitedly this is me, who grew up in the 80's/90's, so I might have a very different viewpoint from someone who came into adulthood recently.

Last edited:
Back