Why would be necessary for everyone to keep Taylor secret to keep her out of the story?

It's not necessary, but it does require work. How would people react? How does even being peripherally related to an important person impact the main character?

It's entirely possible to write a story where it's in the open, things are acknowledged as a part of the background, and move on. However, it takes nuance to do so. Sort of like how many urban fantasy stories have the police, and laws are mentioned but they don't actually do anything. Or, in this case, religion.

If done well we don't even notice that it's there and not relevant. However, if an author is concerned about the audience focusing on this one thing or that they don't have the skills to properly keep it in the background, they'll just write it out.

It's not necessary, but it does require work. How would people react? How does even being peripherally related to an important person impact the main character?

It's entirely possible to write a story where it's in the open, things are acknowledged as a part of the background, and move on. However, it takes nuance to do so. Sort of like how many urban fantasy stories have the police, and laws are mentioned but they don't actually do anything. Or, in this case, religion.

If done well we don't even notice that it's there and not relevant. However, if an author is concerned about the audience focusing on this one thing or that they don't have the skills to properly keep it in the background, they'll just write it out.

That's kinda of lame on the author's part.

To my understanding, Wildbow wanted to minimize Taylor's presence in Ward. He didn't want her as this...shadow, hanging over everything. He wanted a clean separation between the original and the sequel.

And being entirely fair, when you look at stuff like Boruto and the Buu Saga of DBZ, they suffered because they were continuations of the old story with new characters that nobody was excited about. Well, new protagonists, at least. In that sense, I can understand why he wanted Vicky to not have to worry about the specter of Taylor, but it really was a no-win situation for him. Minimizing Taylor as much as possible created backlash, but having her deeds constantly reminding everyone what they liked about her and what they didn't like about Vicky would have probably cost him interest in the story, too.

There's a way to feng shui it. It's not easy, but it's possible. WB just seems to have decided he preferred a clean sweep instead.

First, Buu is a terrible example since is a subversion. Is Goku and Mister Satam who end saving the day. Goku has always been in the series and Mr. Satan was introduced in the Cell games and subverted the whole humans are useless that happened before in that same previous saga.

The "new characters" end being either a complete disaster lile Gotenz, or just there to introduce the threat or and antagonists.

So yeah Ward is worse done that the Buu saga.

Second, look at the Lord Of the Rings, that's a sequel of the Hobbit, on how to do a good sequel with different characters after a timeskip.

Last edited:
I mean, you can say 2 avg Japanese teens from 2015 are super interested in an American cartoon / comic from the 80s. That's fine. But it sounds less likely than just them having some vague recollection of the movies and that's about it. I don't particularly care. It's a small part of the chapter and I can overlook it. But it's definitely a weird bit to add that seems out of character and adds nothing to the story. To me, it was jarring and felt like a series of random forum quotes over genuine character interaction. That's all.
The Simpsons is longest running cartoon in history. It's been airing continuously since 1988 and new episodes are still being made.
I'm not much of a fan, but I've seen an episode or two.

Last edited:
Sorry no, it is the longest running American series in several categories but Sandmännchen has been running since 1959. 22,200 episodes nearly 31 times the amount and twice the age.

That's a nice bit of trivia I didn't know before, but isn't that thing stop motion?, as in not a cartoon like the other guy said as regards the simpsons?

As to the ward thing- the fundamental issue seems to be that WB wanted to tell as specific story, and forced the setting to fit, the result is a lot of changes that rub people the wrong way or just don't make sense. Worm slowly expanded on its setting so the deconstruction of a world with costumed heroes grew organically as readers progressed, Ward needed constant interjections to explain why things were the way they were, in ways that only raised more questions (why do all the earth bet refugees live in a single megacity? How was it built in such a short time with no tinker help? Why do they have all of that, but not enough food production? all arising from WB wanting to set his story in that Megacity setting)

There is a big reason why Post GM worm stories are a big favorite of mine, because there is so many directions the stories can go, either you follow Taylor, as is most common, and either go the crossover route, or have her dealing with the aftermath of GM, or you explore a post apocalypse that skipped straight to the big factions rebuilding phase, but with superheroes. WB didn't want to tell a story like that however.

To my understanding, Wildbow wanted to minimize Taylor's presence in Ward. He didn't want her as this...shadow, hanging over everything. He wanted a clean separation between the original and the sequel.

And being entirely fair, when you look at stuff like Boruto and the Buu Saga of DBZ, they suffered because they were continuations of the old story with new characters that nobody was excited about. Well, new protagonists, at least. In that sense, I can understand why he wanted Vicky to not have to worry about the specter of Taylor, but it really was a no-win situation for him. Minimizing Taylor as much as possible created backlash, but having her deeds constantly reminding everyone what they liked about her and what they didn't like about Vicky would have probably cost him interest in the story, too.

There's a way to feng shui it. It's not easy, but it's possible. WB just seems to have decided he preferred a clean sweep instead.

To be honest I think undermining the logic of your story just because you afraid that the audience will focuses on the wrong thing doesn't seem like a worth while trade off

she didn't actually, reading the final scene with her and contessa it's clear she thinks everything was worth it and if given the chance to go back she would do everything again if slightly different due to new information, like dinah being kidnapped during the bankjob. her view of humanity was that while small in the grand scheme of things, and unwilling to band together in the face of an apocalypse, it was still worth protecting. as for beating scion through bullying, i believe all the thoughts she had were disbelief that her experience with emma actually helped her winning against scion.
I feel like you're dramatically misremembering that scene. She explicitly tells Contessa that she should say it was worth it, but at that point in time she didn't feel that way anymore. Like if you think about just how high the stakes were and how miraculously unlikely all the little bits that ultimately resulted in victory were, changing any variable to hope for a better outcome is an absurdly large gamble even with future knowledge. But she'd still rather try anyway because even if she saved every world that ever was, it wasn't worth the hardship. That being said, that does extend more to how she lived her life in general as opposed to Scion specifically.

I feel like you're dramatically misremembering that scene. She explicitly tells Contessa that she should say it was worth it, but at that point in time she didn't feel that way anymore. Like if you think about just how high the stakes were and how miraculously unlikely all the little bits that ultimately resulted in victory were, changing any variable to hope for a better outcome is an absurdly large gamble even with future knowledge. But she'd still rather try anyway because even if she saved every world that ever was, it wasn't worth the hardship. That being said, that does extend more to how she lived her life in general as opposed to Scion specifically.
You're both kinda right. It was an ending that she could accept. She'd do it all again in a heartbeat, but it wasn't entirely without regrets. If she knew then what she knew now there'd be things she'd change, personal regrets she'd do differently even as she followed the same broad strokes of the first time.

And being entirely fair, when you look at stuff like Boruto and the Buu Saga of DBZ, they suffered because they were continuations of the old story with new characters that nobody was excited about.
It wasn't just the Buu saga. Toriyama Akira originally intended for Dragon Ball Z to be Gohan's story with Goku taking a back seat. Dragon Ball was Goku's story, DBZ was Gohan's. However, from what I understand there was executive meddling due to fan pressure to bring Goku into the story. You should notice just how much time Goku spends out of commission in DBZ.
It's the reason why Goku was killed off early into DBZ and spent time dead, only to be wished back in the nick of time to save the day from Vegita. Then he was too injured to go to Namek, so it was up to Gohan, Krillin, and Bulma, just like in the Red Ribbon arc of Dragon Ball when it was Bulma, Goku, and Krillin. Once again, Goku arrives to save the day. I'll skip Garlic Jr. because that was anime only and wasn't part of the manga, and I'm not sure how much Toriyama had to do with it.
Next the android/cell saga. Notice that he spent a good portion of it incapacitated by the heart virus? Then it's Goku and Gohan together for Cell. After which Toriyama decided to kill Goku off so he could focus on Gohan.

She'd do it all again in a heartbeat, but it wasn't entirely without regrets.
I don't get it since
"I keep on asking myself the same questions over and over again," she said. "Maybe you can answer. Was it worth it?"

I stared down at my hand. It was shaking, but it wasn't from fear.

"Would you do it all over again? Knowing what you know now? Knowing that you end up here, at gunpoint?"

"I… know I'm supposed to say yes," the words made their way past my lips. "But no. Some-somewhere along way, it became no."

"Just about everyone comes to this crossroad," she said. "Some get seventy years, some only get fifteen. Enough time to grow, to take stock of who you are. Enough time to do things you'll regret when you run out of time."

"Don't- don't regret it. Was- had to. Saved lives. But I would do different, given a chance."
Feels... pretty clear. Like even if she's able to justify her choices as ultimately being the best ones she could have made with what she knew at the time, that's lightyears away from actually being okay with any of it. I'm genuinely confused about this interpretation, especially since this version of the character didn't get to go with her dad to a normal world and go to therapy for a couple years, but instead spent time in an Antarctica full of weirdos not talking to anyone about what she's been through (or anything else? It doesn't really seem like she's made much bonds during the year+ she's been around) except maybe with Olga, who, while she does have her good points, would also be way out of her depth.

Last edited:
I don't get it since

Feels... pretty clear. Like even if she's able to justify her choices as ultimately being the best ones she could have made with what she knew at the time, that's lightyears away from actually being okay with any of it. I'm genuinely confused about this interpretation, especially since this version of the character didn't get to go with her dad to a normal world and go to therapy for a couple years, but instead spent time in an Antarctica full of weirdos not talking to anyone about what she's been through (or anything else? It doesn't really seem like she's made much bonds during the year+ she's been around) except maybe with Olga, who, while she does have her good points, would also be way out of her depth.
Read a little farther down. What does she say she'd do different? Does it say she'd never join the Undersiders, not save Dinah, ignore the Endbringers, not put Lung in the Birdcage, etc? Her regrets aren't what she did, it's the how she did it. In her own words she paid too much attention to people and things that didn't deserve it/didn't need it and not enough to those that did.
She agonized over Emma, and Sophia, School, the E88, Coil, the Travellers, and the Slaughterhouse 9, etc... and she mistreated her father, never formed much of a bond with Regent, never really respected Aisha like she deserved, yanked Brian around by his damaged heart in their relationship, abandoned her territory and people, abandoned her team, never bonded with the Chicago Wards, probably killed Aster unnecessarily and thus hurt Theo unnecessarily, etc... So much of her story was spent fighting against or resenting people when she didn't necessarily have to for things that ultimately weren't worth much. If she could do it all again she'd know what was worth caring about and what she could do with less hostility.

So much of her story was spent fighting against or resenting people when she didn't necessarily have to for things that ultimately weren't worth much. If she could do it all again she'd know what was worth caring about and what she could do with less hostility.
Yeah but I don't think her not sure considering Scion in what she would do differently means that she'd do everything exactly the same, it just means that she's identifying him as like.... A living metaphor for humanity's inability to work together and trusts that living a better life where she brings people together without mind control leads to a better outcome. Like... While " I can think of a couple things I'd do better before I get Bonesaw to scramble my brain again" is one interpretation, I don't really think that's what she means.

Yeah but I don't think her not sure considering Scion in what she would do differently means that she'd do everything exactly the same, it just means that she's identifying him as like.... A living metaphor for humanity's inability to work together and trusts that living a better life where she brings people together without mind control leads to a better outcome. Like... While " I can think of a couple things I'd do better before I get Bonesaw* to scramble my brain again" is one interpretation, I don't really think that's what she means.
*Amy did it.
Honestly if she could do it again with hindsight she'd probably try to arrange for a viable defense against Scion, but like, it's gonna fail. She'd have better luck if she stopped the Irregulars from going after Cauldron for revenge and kneecapping humanity in the process, but ultimately Scion's malice and capability is going to break morale. It's just a matter of how much they have to lose first before it happens. Then we're back to our regularly scheduled brain scrambling for body control.

You know the with the whole Taylor able to be summoned as a servant from the throne in this universe I wonder what that little kid with the birds, Aiden Tate, who has a bud of QA would look like as a servant. He'd probably be Rider cause of the huge bird he rides but what would his skills or NP be?

Though I honestly wonder what the Undersiders as a whole would be like as servants. I know Aisha would be Assassin for her class, Rachael Rider, and Foil/Flechette Archer.......probably. Archers do use bows right? :V

But what about the others? Like what class would Grue, Tattletale, Parian, and Regent most fit?

that's entirely dependent on her shard being able to find and then reach into and delete aisha from the throne. and besides, if aisha died there'd be no one for the power to connect to and empower and people would remember her again. besides, for people it's supressing their ability to remember her, more than it is make them forget, there's nothing to restore, if she died it'd just stop suppressing them, she'd have a legend, and it's doubtful the shard would be able to find the throne to delete records of her.

Last edited:
that's entirely dependent on her shard being able to find and then reach into and delete aisha from the throne. and besides, if aisha died there'd be no one for the power to connect to and empower and people would remember her again. besides, for people it's supressing their ability to remember her, more than it is make them forget, there's nothing to restore, if she died it'd just stop suppressing them, she'd have a legend, and it's doubtful the shard would be able to find the throne to delete records of her.
Valid points, just the context wasn't about the shard touching the throne, but the fact that you needed to be remembered to be recorded in it. My argument is that I honestly don't know if people's memories of her will be accessible if she were to die while it was active.

If you do have an authors notes or something that backs you up, then I ask that you share it please. I would rather be completely proven wrong, because the way I am seeing it just makes me feel sad for Aisha.

i am basing it on how powers work, a power needs a person to stay active, as for why it's suppression and not deletion, well the fact that they can recall her after she returns to suppressing her power but still don't know where she was when she had her power active kinda indicate that their ability to form memories of her during her power being active was being suppressed. it's not a stated thing by the author to my knowledge but more of a logical conclusion from what we know of her power.

Back