Does anyone else know why this story completely vanished (along with the author's other works save one snippet collection) from AO3?

This is awkward, I was ninja'd not hours ago like I was worried about but by the post directly above me.

Does anyone else know why this story completely vanished (along with the author's other works save one snippet collection) from AO3?

This is awkward, I was ninja'd not hours ago like I was worried about but by the post directly above me.
Administrative lock. "Patreon" is apparently verboten on AO3, and I thought I took care of all of the problems, but I can't even have a "thanks to all of you who supported me through this project" at the end of Essence, it seems. As I understand it, they'll review them again in a week and the lock will get lifted if I fixed everything.

Dunno why it took the admins a whole fucking year to come down on me about it, but there you go.

"Shitty old man!" Mash shouted at him, fists clenched and stomping one foot angrily. "Shut up! You'll ruin it!"

My eyebrows rose towards my hairline, because I'd spent two years training with her and gone through two Singularities fighting beside her, and I had never, not once, heard her talk like that. Or stomp her foot like an angry child, for that matter.

Off to the side, Connla laughed.

"Whoa," said Emiya.

"M-Mash?" Ritsuka asked uncertainly.

And just as suddenly, the anger evaporated and Mash recoiled with a gasp, her hands flying to her mouth.

"I-I'm so sorry!" she said, horrified. "I-I don't know what just came over me, it was like…like…!"
You burnt the cinnamon roll, you monster.

"Would you feel better about it if we brought in Siegfried?" I asked pointedly.

At the mention of his name, Aífe perked up, perhaps with the thought of facing such a challenging opponent. Romani didn't seem to notice and shook his head.

I wonder if Aífe had challenged Lancelot yet, sure it's not as grand as slaying a dragon, but taking on a castle and later the catalyst for the fall of a whole kingdom is also impressive methinks.

Administrative lock. "Patreon" is apparently verboten on AO3, and I thought I took care of all of the problems, but I can't even have a "thanks to all of you who supported me through this project" at the end of Essence, it seems. As I understand it, they'll review them again in a week and the lock will get lifted if I fixed everything.

Dunno why it took the admins a whole fucking year to come down on me about it, but there you go.
Because it's a giant site and they're probably not getting paid (paying themselves?) enough to keep watch on every single story that closely?

i feel like i've commented on this before, but if i haven't then i'll do so now, it was just used tampons in the locker, and taylor puking at least some into it, there was no shit.
Hello again! You did! And again, 'shit' as a word is a common, if vulgar, substitute for 'vague general filth/mess' in english. It doesn't have to be literal.

A 'pile of shit' could be used to describe a mess of any sort if one were feeling crude. Garbage, clothes, paper, or tampons and bugs as the case may be. The substance doesn't matter as long as it can be described as a mess and/or filthy, and the speaker wants to be crude.

Hello again! You did! And again, 'shit' as a word is a common, if vulgar, substitute for 'vague general filth/mess' in english. It doesn't have to be literal.

A 'pile of shit' could be used to describe a mess of any sort if one were feeling crude. Garbage, clothes, paper, or tampons and bugs as the case may be. The substance doesn't matter as long as it can be described as a mess and/or filthy, and the speaker wants to be crude.
Taylor got stuffed in there and it has had long, far-reaching consequences for her mentally. I think she's entitled to swear a bit there, to put a point on your point.

Taylor got stuffed in there and it has had long, far-reaching consequences for her mentally. I think she's entitled to swear a bit there, to put a point on your point.
i get that the term 'shit' can be used in other ways, just the way it was phrased made it seem, to me at least, like it wasn't used like that, and was more literal. good to know tho it's just her swearing

Last edited:
I'm just going to be sitting in my corner waiting for Taylor to Biblical Plague the entire United Empire Army so the Servants can be quickly taken down.

It's a smart move having Emiya be one of the first Servants and having a frequent presence in the story, he's able to kind of serve as a bridge between modern humans and heroic spirits since he has experience with both. That role is important for the Masters of Chaldea, especially since you've taken the bold step of not ignoring all the more... problematic bits of mythical (and heroic) spirits while also giving a good reason why most of them won't be a problem as Heroic Spirits. I appreciate the way you handled the subject of Cu and Aife maturely and in a way that gave some characterization to the Fujimarus, Ritsuka doesn't seem quite as blandly accepting as his canon counterpart whilst Rika... she still kind of just seems more overwhelmed than anything.

Also I'm enjoying Connla and Aife so far, you struck a good balance with Connla, since he definitely twinged my memory but I only really remembered after Emiya mentioned his mother. Aife herself promises to be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how she compares and contrasts with Scathach since "contentious relationships between sisters" is arguably one of Nasu's core tenants. I'm not quite sure how to square the circle of "Scathach was elevated against her will to the realm of immortals because she was so good at everything the world decided she couldn't be human" with "she has a sister whose virtually only listed trait is 'better than Scathach at everything".

As for the United Empire Army... I'm pretty sure this would be more clear if I replayed the cutscenes but I still don't really grasp what their stated goals were meant to be .
Like, I'm pretty sure that Romulus held no loyalty to Goetia/Lev at all and was kind of just wasting his time while doing some kind of galaxy brained test of Nero's character?

After some thought, I think I'm just very curious on how much of Saberlot's notorious (fanon?) reputation as a womanizer will happen. He can be fairly a serious character sure, but he is a Knight of the Round Table from Nasuverse. Something screwy is bound to happen…

Him, Gawain, and Tristan are pretty nutty when the right topics come up in FGO…

And Boudica is coming…

Last edited:
i get that the term 'shit' can be used in other ways, just the way it was phrased made it seem, to me at least, like it wasn't used like that, and was more literal. good to know tho it's just her swearing

Indeed. When using 'shit' in a generic sense, it is commonly used as the final adjective. Including another 'and' following it implies that the 'shit' is literal.

You know, I actually expected Aife to be a Taylor face because she was one of Tay's go to heroic spirits in your previous story. That would have been hilarious in all sorts of ways.

"The thing you have to remember, Rika," Emiya cut in, "is that most of the Heroic Spirits you meet will be mellowed out and moderated by how perspectives changed over the years in addition to the adjustments made during the summoning process to avoid culture shock. A lot of the Servants you meet will feel a lot more like modern people as a result, even if they were ancient kings from two thousand years ago."
You just created a plot hole for yourself, because that doesn't apply to the majority of Heroic Spirits they'll meet and recruit. After all, Chaldea didn't summon them and the time period of the singularities is before modern culture.

Actually, for that matter, I'm just now realizing that prior to entering Singularities Chaldea should probably be doing briefs on the cultures they're travelling to.

That's more a plot hole for FGO in general. After all they are somehow perfectly able to speak the local time accurate language!

…So don't think too much about it. Or rather let's not nitpick at it…

On Romulus, him being in a replica of Rome is essentially the same as being in Rome, as shown by the Hanging Gardens during Apocrypha. However, Romulus isn't actually that good at fighting. He's certainly not a non-combatant, but he is, first and foremost, a leader. He's not someone who lead from the front like King Arthur either; he's known for leaving a legacy, not for being a warrior-king.
That's more a plot hole for FGO in general. After all they are somehow perfectly able to speak the local time accurate language!

…So don't think too much about it. Or rather let's not nitpick at it…
That's addressed in the beginning g of France. Da Vinci explains there's a translator, but you have to fight people for a second since it takes a moment to boot up and Mash was speaking English, so they thought she was on the English side.

You just created a plot hole for yourself, because that doesn't apply to the majority of Heroic Spirits they'll meet and recruit. After all, Chaldea didn't summon them and the time period of the singularities is before modern culture.

Actually, for that matter, I'm just now realizing that prior to entering Singularities Chaldea should probably be doing briefs on the cultures they're travelling to.
This contradiction extends to FGO itself. Like a Caesar summoned during Nero's time has no business wearing a tie, yet there he's still in his modernized incarnation as an enemy. It's one of those premises that could just become drowned in minutiae if taken truly seriously, so you gotta learn to just shrug.

Doesn't Columbus also outright talk about the morality angle of it too? Like that a Servant being 'Good' may mean they have as a Servant, divorced from their mortal life and time, an opinion on something like slavery that they did not have in life or which might directly oppose the one they had in life. Time, perspective, and modern knowledge altering their outlook and such.

I may have this wrong but wasn't a part of Romulus' legend that wherever he thrust his spear into the ground became "Roman" ground, superseding any other such claims?

So technically Romulus is literally carrying the home field advantage at all times.

This is just a time travel problem... Why are heroic spirits crystalised as the image people of the 21st century have of them rather than of the specific time period?
If its just this is how 'most' people know them, as I would guess, why not further in the future? After all a century or so of having multiple billions of humans on earth would massively outweigh the amount of man--hours prior in history, is there an apocalypse in the near future?

This is just a time travel problem... Why are heroic spirits crystalised as the image people of the 21st century have of them rather than of the specific time period?
If its just this is how 'most' people know them, as I would guess, why not further in the future? After all a century or so of having multiple billions of humans on earth would massively outweigh the amount of man--hours prior in history, is there an apocalypse in the near future?
I mean, arguably there's an apocalypse right now in the story so you could say that the Throne only has access to the cultural mores from right before the Incineration. You'd be lying, of course, but it's a lie that helps justify things.

Wouldn't that suggest that the correct history is that Chaldea fails to restore history and the world ends?
Not that it's the correct history, but more just the only one it can find, which matches neatly with Chaldeas turning red. Though of course if that was actually the case the one year(?) period between parts one and two should have had Servants governed by different rules but that doesn't really seem like it was the case.

This contradiction extends to FGO itself. Like a Caesar summoned during Nero's time has no business wearing a tie, yet there he's still in his modernized incarnation as an enemy. It's one of those premises that could just become drowned in minutiae if taken truly seriously, so you gotta learn to just shrug.
My point was more that there's a writing problem that happens when you try to plaster over a plothole but fail and in the process draw attention to the problem.
The math doesn't bear out. The current population of Earth is only 1/15 of the total population of humans that ever lived.

Now that I think of it, maybe there's something tying the Singularities to the current present. A few theories are
  • The metaphysics (or maybe the Greater History of Man entity) works like Mage the Awakening in that the present is the present, regardless of where you are in the timeline. Travelling to the past doesn't make it not "the past"
  • Chaldea's act of observing (the past / from the future) acts as "weight on the end of the thread of history" and Heroic Spirits just sort of slide down along it to the time of Chaldea as they wander into the Singularities
  • The Incineration itself provides the link to the modern time
  • The Incineration potentially cutting off the existence of humanity past modern time halts the impact of later history
  • It's a not the Heroic Spirits, its the team's limited ability to perceive them. Not being able to grasp the full atemporal nature of the entity they are interacting with, they perceive only a slice of it influenced by their time of origin

The math doesn't bear out. The current population of Earth is only 1/15 of the total population of humans that ever lived.
Sure
why not further in the future? After all a century or so of having multiple billions of humans on earth would massively outweigh the amount of man--hours prior in history, is there an apocalypse in the near future?

But even given that you read the rest of my post:
Also this is the only time 1/15th of the total population has ever lived at once, its been exploding for a century and mass communication means cultures are less diverse. Would it actually be surprising that among thousands of tiny minorities the one which is orders of magnitude larger has an outsized impact? Would Japanese people's cultural views have had an impact on Aife before they met european traders?

To your theories:
1) Would that mean a chaldea from the future that came to help would observe servants behaving differently to what the current masters do?
2) How does Chaldea's existence influence how the Counter force summons servants?
3) Why?
4) Yeah see my comment about what that means for the 'correctness of history'. Its the best we've got, but also why does the incineration start now? Couldn't the bad guys have pushed the incineration forward to cut Chaldea off on the after history? Has it been placed there because of how Chaldea is able to time travel around, and if so why is time travel lost so that we don't have future Chaldean masters coming to help? If there are actual answers in the story just say spoilers.
5) Would a person of this time period observe the conservation as the master hears it, or would they hear the master seeming to constantly make non-sequitors to the time period appropriate Servants responses?

Last edited:
Back