Esquestria: The House of the Sun - A pony cultist experience

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Dear reader! Whether you are new here, archive-reading and whatnot, or you are already someone who has been with us for quite a while, I would like to say a few words that I believe are best kept close to mind.

-This is an MLP quest. And more importantly, none of us are gratuitously cruel. So good things will happen on this quest, and I hope that enough good things have already happened to prove that.
-This is also a horror quest, so bad things will happen. Bad things might happen to good characters if you are not able to protect them, and you most certainly will not be able to intervene if you lack the tools to do so.
-And finally, this is a quest in which you jostle with powers greater than yourself, with all that it entails.

Please, do keep those things in mind as you go forward. But ultimately, this is also a quest in which it is hoped we all have fun! So if any of the above points is not exactly your cup of tea, or somehow make the experience as a whole "not worth it", then this quest might not be for you. Which is fine! Individual tastes are a thing, so don't think any more about it if you don't want to read anymore. And regardless, I hope you have a lovely day!

PSA for whoever needs to hear it:

Readers should take their own mental health into consideration when voting and not subject themselves to triggering narrative elements like rape or constant mental torture of a friend just for the Greatest Good of a world that doesn't exist.

If those are fine for you or Regrettable is even more triggering, then GREAT! More power to you. But you aren't a bad or selfish person for picking the option that keeps the characters you've emotionally connected with safe. [REDACTED for spoiler warning]

This is a high intensity quest that doesn't hold back when it comes to horror and negative consequences. Take care of yourself.
(Quote slightly edited to avoid spoilers)

Last edited:
Wait, where did you get that number from? Training our friends makes them go up a step, and Disciple (Main Lore 3 and Side Lore 1) is only one step up from (Main Lore 1 and Side Lore 0)?

[X] Plan Strengthen Our Bases
-[X] [AotL] Winter, during the Sacrament Action
-[X] [FORGE] Create a Knock 2 Edge 1 Reagent. (45 Bits, Free Action)
-[X] [KNOCK] The Only Way Up
--[X] [KNOCK] Keep going up. You are so very close now. So. Very. Close.
-[X] [DETECTIVES] There are still changelings out there. Hunt them. Look for them, and for the ponies who colluded with them. (One of the chief expectations of the Bureau. Avert a future Catastrophe)
-[X] [CONSTABLES] It is less paperwork for you if they just help with the investigations. (NO ACTION from the Constables. GAIN a PERSONAL ACTION for Velvet Covers)
-[X] [COMMISSIONER] The Bureau is more than an institution, it is a gathering of dedicated ponies working towards a unified goal. Ingrain yourself with them. (Establish, increase, or salvage the loyalty of the Bureau towards you personally.)
-[X] [SOCIAL] [TEACH] Teach Rarity, and make her a Disciple. (Free Action)
-[X] A fleeting opportunity
--[X] Royal. Wedding! Royal. Wedding! Help. Plan. The Royal. Wedding! (Expand, and pick one more item from, the list of Royal Wedding opportunities)
-[X] [JADE] "You do you." Let her do whatever she wants for once. It might do her some good, both mentally and personally.
-[X] These are the skills that allow you to climb the Mansus.
--[X] Attempt, even if foolishly, to untangle the webs of the Secret Histories
---[X] Investigate your current skills. To try to understand them, if nothing else. (Current progress 0/3)
-[X] [FLUTTERSHY] Ask for a favor, from you... mutual friend. (WRITE IN a favor, that you will ask her to ask Comet Feet to do)
--[X] Guard our Family
-[X] [RARITY] Focus on your work.
-[X] [STEPPES] There is no guarantee he will be able to help you, but you will write him about… (WRITE IN)
--[X] [STEPPES] Ask him to join us on our Vacation to Cloudsdale.
-[X] Jade's house is now adequately clean. Or at least sufficiently presentable for ponies to work on it. You should…
--[X] [SERVANTS] You need a place where you can safely, and discreetly, store items. Use the upper level of her house for it.
-[X] [MAREINETTE] Act as your emissary. (Pick an action from Velvet's list. INCLUDING social actions private to Velvet)
--[X] Much to your own satisfaction, you now have a personal life outside of your maids, immediate family and business related meetings. You could choose to spend some time with…
---[X] Filthy Rich, a well-to-do and wealthy bussinespony
-[X] [BALDOMARE] [RITUAL] The Reflection of the Tapestry - Find a key that only opens. A key that would break DoA's curse. Where it is, what defends it, what stops us from simply taking it. Cost 30 bits.
--[X] At Jade's old house.
-[X] [SELENE] Go play, one last time. (Costs two actions. Goodbye, Selene.)

Im... vaguely impressed with the leading plans? It's like a plan with everything I don't want to see got made.

Doesn't spend time with uncle Steppes

Wastes the Baldomares action

Wastes Mareinettes action

Wastes the Bureaues time

Goes to the temple of the heart instead of going higher.

Gets entangled in Velvet Prides plot in spite of all the irons we already have in the fire.

Teaching Rarity is good at least. Working on the wedding is... honestly pretty inevitable.

But I am honestly. I'm honestly too impressed to be mad.

Well then my Dear Friend, consider tossing an approval vote to my Plan above. After all, it has just about everything you want!

Velvet can always run away!

and then she throws a nice good EiB or PtN at Comet. Or summons a MitL. Or send Mareinette and/or Axe. or a Windigo.

Velvet is scary

I mean, if your plan is to run away, then we don't really need IotH to do that.

Bro, your plan has too little personal actions (2 instead of 3), change the Constable action to personal guarding if that is your intent?

Named characters who know the Lores, in general, will learn according to these Rules:

-Enlightened: Major Lore is level 0, Minor Lore is not applied.

-Initiate: Major Lore is level 1, Minor Lore is level 0.

-Disciple: Major Lore is level 3, Minor Lore is level 1.

-Seeker: Major Lore is level 4, Minor Lore is level 2.

-Exalted: Major Lore is Level 5, Minor Lore is level 3.

-In order for a character to advance a level, they must either learn from you, or from the Secret Library.

-A pony can only go up a single level per turn.

-Turning a character into an "Exalted" might require additional things.
So we don't actually need that many actions to cap our Confidants out for now?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I recall the teaching of Lores at the same level to require a roll (which, admittedly, wouldn't be as bad as failing a level 3 lore teaching roll)? So it's only really 1 more turn after this one for Fluttershy; unless we can get a Lantern Sacrament soon.
That's if they're learning from the library, not from us directly, and only if they're doing it passively. A dedicated action by either party removes the need for a roll.

That or you're remembering the rules for Selene, which were different.

Does that mean Fluttershy can go learn from us, and we won't have to commit an Action?
Or even Stormchaser?
Ah. No. How it works is that, if the Library has enough levels for their next step, they get passive rolls. Or they can dedicate their action to guaruntee succes. Or Velvet teaches them with one of her actions, and her levels. But if Velvet isn't using an action, it's dependant on the library.

Stormchaser is also slightly different because, since him and the family are rolled together and Velvet cares more about them and making she she has no chances of fucking it up at all given the young ages, she won't teach any of them to a level until she has a universal level. So four, next.

I like Strengthen our Bases a bit more than Pittauro-with-SH-Sacrament, so approval voting in case it works out:

[X] Plan Pittauro, but with our SH Sacrament.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why, but a large chunk of that plan seems to have been eaten by the tally. Basically all the minion actions and a couple of the Velvet actions.

[X] Plan Strengthen Our Bases Final Form
-[X] [AotL] Winter, during the Sacrament Action
-[X] [FORGE] Create a Knock 2 Edge 1 Reagent. (45 Bits, Free Action)
-[X] [KNOCK] The Only Way Up
--[X] [KNOCK] Keep going up. You are so very close now. So. Very. Close.
-[X] [DETECTIVES] There are still changelings out there. Hunt them. Look for them, and for the ponies who colluded with them. (One of the chief expectations of the Bureau. Avert a future Catastrophe)
-[X] [CONSTABLES] It is less paperwork for you if they just help with the investigations. (NO ACTION from the Constables. GAIN a PERSONAL ACTION for Velvet Covers)
-[X] [COMMISSIONER] The Bureau is more than an institution, it is a gathering of dedicated ponies working towards a unified goal. Ingrain yourself with them. (Establish, increase, or salvage the loyalty of the Bureau towards you personally.)
-[X] [SOCIAL] [TEACH] Teach Rarity, and make her a Disciple. (Free Action)
-[X] A fleeting opportunity
--[X] Royal. Wedding! Royal. Wedding! Help. Plan. The Royal. Wedding! (Expand, and pick one more item from, the list of Royal Wedding opportunities)
--[X] "The Royal Wedding is a matter of national security, so of course the Commissioner must be involved. Yes, even on that time she went on a shopping spree with the Princess." (Free action. NEGLECT work at the Lunar Bureau. Expand, and pick one more item from, the list of Royal Wedding opportunities)
-[X] Much to your own satisfaction, you now have a personal life outside of your maids, immediate family and business related meetings. You could choose to spend some time with…
--[X] Filthy Rich, a well-to-do and wealthy bussinespony
-[X] These are the skills that allow you to climb the Mansus.
--[X] Attempt, even if foolishly, to untangle the webs of the Secret Histories
---[X] Investigate your current skills. To try to understand them, if nothing else. (Current progress 0/3)
-[X] [JADE] "You do you." Let her do whatever she wants for once. It might do her some good, both mentally and personally.
-[X] [FLUTTERSHY] Ask for a favor, from you... mutual friend. (WRITE IN a favor, that you will ask her to ask Comet Feet to do)
--[X] Guard our Family
-[X] [RARITY] Focus on your work.
-[X] [STEPPES] There is no guarantee he will be able to help you, but you will write him about… (WRITE IN)
--[X] [STEPPES] Ask him to join us on our Vacation to Cloudsdale.
-[X] Jade's house is now adequately clean. Or at least sufficiently presentable for ponies to work on it. You should…
--[X] [SERVANTS] You need a place where you can safely, and discreetly, store items. Use the upper level of her house for it.
-[X] [MAREINETTE] Act as your emissary. (Pick an action from Velvet's list. INCLUDING social actions private to Velvet)
--[X] Search for a new, unsuspicious three-circle ritual site.
-[X] [BALDOMARE] [RITUAL] The Reflection of the Tapestry - Find a key that only opens. A key that would break DoA's curse. Where it is, what defends it, what stops us from simply taking it. Cost 30 bits.
--[X] At Jade's old house.
-[X] [SELENE] Go play, one last time. (Costs two actions. Goodbye, Selene.)

Here is Plan Strengthen Our Bases' final form. You want Wedding? I got maximum Wedding Actions. You want our personal SH Sacrament without melting our brain? I got the SH Sacrament and a Winter AotL for if things get too heavy. You want Frangiclave scrying? Baldomare is on it. You want a 3-Circle Ritual Spot to get away with sketchy shit? I've got Mareinette, the Queen of Getting Away With Sketchy Shit, locking that down with her +40 general finding and her bigger ability to sweet-talk anyone into giving us the spot for a song. You want Rarity trained before possibly the biggest event of her life? Velvet will raise her to G/F 3/1. You want more friends? Possibly wealthy ones? I got Velvet coming in to hopefully salvage the trainwreck that is Filthy Rich's home life. You want Uncle Steppes? I am inviting him to Cloudsdale. I got Wedding, I got Frangiscry, I got new friends, I got old family, I got alternate timelines, I got what we need to succeed. Let's do this.

Last edited:
That's why I invited Uncle Steppes to our vacation!
Was talking about Pride, and don't wanna make the paperwork to deal with Selene's disappearance harder myself (if anyone has connections to 'investigate'...)

I do NOT want to have to spend actions on dealing with Pride's plotting, thank you very much; and after ignoring two Fleetings about him Bird would be more than justified to throw it at us.
Pride: "Velvet must've been the one that took my love away from me, let's take revenge"

Have these plans instead, which give better bonii towards making Pride no longer a problem; and even has a chance to have Baldomare scry for Frangiclave AND successfully find a three circle ritual location to boot!

Last edited:
Was talking about Pride, and don't wanna make the paperwork to deal with Selene's disappearance harder myself (if anyone has connections to 'investigate'...)

I do NOT want to have to spend actions on dealing with Pride's plotting, thank you very much; and after ignoring two Fleetings about him Bird would be more than justified to throw it at us.
Pride: "Velvet must've been the one that took my love away from me, let's take revenge"
Pride would be very hard-pressed to come to the conclusion that we took his love away from him when we are bringing her back next turn. The dude is going to go from mopey back to smitten at the speed of sound.

Him reaching the conclusion that Velvet has control over DoA instead (which is true, even) would be equally damaging?

That there is a board, and there are pieces, and that she is committed to be standing on the other side of the table. This, all of this, tells you that the game is on.

On a more mundane level, imagine Pride actually getting Rarity's contract away from us after some time planning if we don't counteract his hostility/fear of us?

Last edited:
Anypony he asks about Velvet Axe will tell him that she is an abrasive pony that does as she pleases, not some helpless maiden in need of rescue.
Considering his interlude and his being heartbroken (such a state not being known for logical thinking...)

Or perhaps he gives up and ...doubles back on his original goal?

Besides, practically speaking, I'm sure Velvet will be very happy if she can remove Pride's programming from him, and that will not happen without taking this FO?
Imagine Pride looking for merchants for us in the future?

Last edited:
Back