Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

If you're playing a caster you may want: Slippers, Feather Step - Pathfinder_OGC

They negate the inability to take 5 ft steps in difficult terrain which can be important in terms of getting away from the stabby people.

Sleeves of Many Garments - Pathfinder_OGC

Useful as a fun utility item. Never purchase a set of clothes again and be dressed well for any occasion.

Similarly a Traveler's Any-Tool - Pathfinder_OGC

Is useful since it gives you masterwork tools for anything at will.

Thanks, this is what i was asking for.

Other than that? The usual stuff for 4000 includes Headbands of +2 mental trait, Amulet of Natural Armor +1, Cloak of Resistance +2 and so on.

I'm wracking my brain, and cannot for the life of me imagine a scenario where i would ever want a AoNA. I think it's a trap.

I'm picking up the Hell's Rebels adventure path (I may be more partial to demons, but outsiders in general are my bag, it seems to be getting good views when I ask RPGnet, and hey, found it for a reasonable price).

Thoughts probably coming... eventually. I dunno, even once it shows up it'll take me some time to read through a whole adventure path, in between other things ^^

So, Dreamscarred Press has put out their April Augmented supplement, featuring a wide variety of new content, including
  • A new Ambu-Lancer archetype for the Medic, a cut class that served as a prototype for the Vitalist! (Medic class not included)
  • The Edge Lord! A Harbinger archetype that trades away its armor proficiencies, pseudo-cleave and speed-based dodge bonuses for mad katana skillz, an immunity to emotion effects, the ability to teleport instead of walking and a mystically protective trenchcoat (available only in black or blood red)
  • The Madman, a monk archetype that makes good use of every stat! Add Str to your fort saves, Int to your reflex and Cha to your will! Add your Int to your attack rolls and your Cha to damage rolls! Add a second ability modifier to every skill! And instead of boring wisdom, your saves now scale off your two lowest ability scores!
  • The Daring Hero prestige class - be the REAL protagonist in the party. Become immune from damage due to crashing in through doors or windows! Gain a miss chance when attacked by characters the DM hasn't bothered to name! Even gain immunity to death except at suitably dramatic moments!
  • The Drowmedary race! Do you wanna play as a camel person? Do you also wanna play as a drow? This race is basically both!
  • Gelatinous cube race and monster class! Finally, you too can be a literal cube of acidic death!
Get it today, folks!

EDIT: They also released a Path of War errata which, like the 3.5 Tome of Battle errata before it, was "mistakenly" mostly overwritten with the errata for an entirely different book.

Last edited:
So, Dreamscarred Press has put out their April Augmented supplement, featuring a wide variety of new content, including
  • A new Ambu-Lancer archetype for the Medic, a cut class that served as a prototype for the Vitalist! (Medic class not included)
  • The Edge Lord! A Harbinger archetype that trades away its armor proficiencies, pseudo-cleave and speed-based dodge bonuses for mad katana skillz, an immunity to emotion effects, the ability to teleport instead of walking and a mystically protective trenchcoat (available only in black or blood red)
  • The Madman, a monk archetype that makes good use of every stat! Add Str to your fort saves, Int to your reflex and Cha to your will! Add your Int to your attack rolls and your Cha to damage rolls! Add a second ability modifier to every skill! And instead of boring wisdom, your saves now scale off your two lowest ability scores!
  • The Daring Hero prestige class - be the REAL protagonist in the party. Become immune from damage due to crashing in through doors or windows! Gain a miss chance when attacked by characters the DM hasn't bothered to name! Even gain immunity to death except at suitably dramatic moments!
  • The Drowmedary race! Do you wanna play as a camel person? Do you also wanna play as a drow? This race is basically both!
  • Gelatinous cube race and monster class! Finally, you too can be a literal cube of acidic death!
Get it today, folks!

Link pls?

EDIT: They also released a Path of War errata which, like the 3.5 Tome of Battle errata before it, was "mistakenly" mostly overwritten with the errata for an entirely different book.

I love DSP so much.

April Augmented - Dreamscarred Press | Pathfinder | DriveThruRPG.com

I should also note that the Edge Lord has access to a discipline called Unquiet Grave, which is missing from Path of War and Path of War Expanded. It turns out it's a special discipline that works extra well when you're undead or healed by negative energy, and treats Axes, Polearms and Natural Weapons as its associated weapon groups - but also specifically allows the scythe (but no other heavy blades). It can be found in their Lords of the Night book, which is all about playing vampires.

So I wanted to run a Monk that has martial arts style that is Krav Maga and Muay Thai put into a blender and hitting the purae switch.

April Augmented - Dreamscarred Press | Pathfinder | DriveThruRPG.com

I should also note that the Edge Lord has access to a discipline called Unquiet Grave, which is missing from Path of War and Path of War Expanded. It turns out it's a special discipline that works extra well when you're undead or healed by negative energy, and treats Axes, Polearms and Natural Weapons as its associated weapon groups - but also specifically allows the scythe (but no other heavy blades). It can be found in their Lords of the Night book, which is all about playing vampires.

Got a link for the PoW errata too?

Muay Thai is a brutal style based on kickboxing. It's a style based on "The Art of Eight Limbs" because it uses punches, kicks, elbows and knee strikes.

Krav Maga is the western and more obscure equivalent of Jeet Kun Do. It's all about neutralizing your opponent in the most efficient way possible regardless of their safety.

Power Attack and what follows after from it might not be a bad idea, with that emphasis on brutality of Muay Thai.

On the flip side they're very good in 5e, so long as you don't try and compete directly with the tankier frontliners like the barbarian and fighter. Monks are a variation on the rogue's combat role (mobile combatant), but with more disabling than damage.

So I read reading 4E books to my group during a Skype call to appease their curiosity on why it's so bad.

One of them, my boyfriend, literally drank enough they cut their head on their desk corner and passed out. I literally had to drive them in for stitches.

4e: So bad, it almost killed my lover.

Anything, really. I want to get into Tabletop gaming other than cards against humanity.

4 or 5e are easier to learn, and IIRC 4e has a monk class that is playable.

but seriously, D&D classes are not jobs. Most of the time, "martial artist" is better represented by "not the monk class."

Swordsage or Psychic Warrior make great "martial arts" characters very easily in 3.5

So I read reading 4E books to my group during a Skype call to appease their curiosity on why it's so bad.

One of them, my boyfriend, literally drank enough they cut their head on their desk corner and passed out. I literally had to drive them in for stitches.

4e: So bad, it almost killed my lover.

It's not actually a bad game. It's radically different from previous editions, and it probably doesn't hit the buttons of the people who enjoyed 3e, but as far as I can tell, it achieved every goal it set out to do.

So I wanted to run a Monk that has martial arts style that is Krav Maga and Muay Thai put into a blender and hitting the purae switch.
Muay Thai is a brutal style based on kickboxing. It's a style based on "The Art of Eight Limbs" because it uses punches, kicks, elbows and knee strikes.

Krav Maga is the western and more obscure equivalent of Jeet Kun Do. It's all about neutralizing your opponent in the most efficient way possible regardless of their safety.

Instead of thinking of the philosophies of the martial arts, think about what you want to be able to do. What feels like something iconic to those martial arts that you could put into DnD terms?

From my limited understanding of Krav Maga, positioning and situational awareness are emphasised, as is defense against common weaponry. With this in mind, I think bonuses against suprise, simple weapons and maybe Attacks of Opportunity would work.

(Keep in mind, I have very little mechanical know how for DnD.)

Then again, I dunno how useful Krav Maga would actually be in DnD. One of the reasons it's effective is that it keeps the practical realities of the practitioner and their opponents in mind. It's going to be hard to represent that in a world of superhumans and monsters, at least if you want anything with versimillutude.

EDIT: Actually, first you should probably decide what edition you want to play

Last edited:
If you plan to play locally you should probably play whatever game is open.

But - monks in 5e. They're very mobile, start off best using weapons but can get by with punches form 5th level or so onwards. They get plenty of attacks via spending ki (the main key to playing a monk well is using ki well) and can also spend ki to increase their mobility or AC. You get Stunning Strike, which can lock down a foe for a turn, so everyone else can smash then into a pulp.

They are also the only class to get every saving throw, though it is late (14th level) and the paladin version is arguably better.

The monk has 5 subclasses, of which 4 are good. Don't play the elemental monk, it consumes too much ki for not enough benefit.

The Way of the Open Hand is all about unharm,ed combat - pushing, tripping, etc. Whenever they spend a ki point on a flurry of blows (2 extra attacks as a bonus action) they can also knock a foe prone, push them 15' or leave them unable to attack of opportunity you (assuming the foe fails it's save of course).
It also gets some self healing and the game's only real save or die in Quivering Palm (at 17th level though).

The Way of the Shadow is stealthy. They can spend ki to cast a few spells like darkness, or silence, at 6th level they can teleport between shadows and at 11th they can turn invisible when not in bright light.

The other two come from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, not the Player's Handbook.

The Way of the Long Death is all about killing things. You get temp hp when you kill something and later you can give foes the frightened condition and can choose to have 1 hit point instead of going to 0.

The Way of the Sun Soul turns you into Goku. You get to fire radiant ki bolts as a ranged attack and you can spend ki points to fire a kamehameha - I mean Burning Hands. At 11th they get a weak fireball that doesn't cost ki points. It takes 12 action and it can be powered up with ki, but it's a costless ranged aoe on what is otherwise a melee class.

I might want to design a prestige class just for my character. Or look at one online.
There aren't any official prestige classes yet in 5e. They released one in Unearthed Arcana (playtest stuff they release monthly online), but your DM's mileage may vary whenh it comes to using one.

So krav maga focuses on counter attacks, threat neutralization, simultaneous defensive and offensive maneuvers, and aggression according to wikipedia.

Counter attacks aren't really a thing, but monks have plenty of threat neutralisation (stunning fist and the stuff the Way fo the Open palm gets). Simultaneous defense and offense isn't really a thing in d&d, due to the 6 second round being broken up into 6-7 individual turns, but a monk can run into melee, attack then Dodge as a bonus action (adv vs dex saves and enemies have disadvantage to attack you) or attack then disengage (avoid AOO's) or dash (double movement) and move away.
Aggression is your individual playstyle, though the way of the Long Death definitely encourages it.

A good multiclass would be the Battlemaster subclass of the fighter. This lets you disarm foes, parry attacks, get a free attack if a foe misses you (so the closest thing there is to a counter attack really) and other good stuff.
There's also a feat that gives you 4 of these maneuvers if a 3 level dip into fighter doesn't appeal to you.

It's not actually a bad game. It's radically different from previous editions, and it probably doesn't hit the buttons of the people who enjoyed 3e, but as far as I can tell, it achieved every goal it set out to do.

I should clarify that after one campaign of 3E we basically decided "never again." We're an OSR-preferential group, and collectively think that 4E magnifies everything wrong with 3E except for class balance.

I should clarify that after one campaign of 3E we basically decided "never again." We're an OSR-preferential group, and collectively think that 4E magnifies everything wrong with 3E except for class balance.

*blinks*

Um. You'll have to expand on that, because 4e got so much hate because it was so utterly different from 3e.

Personally, I don't mind 4e mechanics, and I actually really really like a fair few of the concepts contained within there- although mostly classes, in that case.

Back