Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

There's a ton of other issues though:

Weapon (and armor) scaling. It goes purely by price, and more money outright equals more power. A starter laser pistol costs 350 credits and does 1D4 damage, the most expensive laser pistol does 8D4 damage and costs 245,200 credits.
Not only is this just plain weird, it also heavily discourages any character who wants to have multiple weapons. Say you want power armor with an in-built flamer, wield a plasma rifle, and want a nice melee weapon and pistol as backup? Have fun gimping the damage of all of those.
I can see why they did that, they tried to pull back from having massive bonuses to hit/damage and now weapons just get better. It's a new design paradigm, and they're trying to make it work. Because HP scales, you have to have weapons that scale to a lot of damage. Unlike games like the Star Wars Fantasy Flight RPG, where you can have a bajillion weapons because damage doesn't change as you get stronger, damage has to scale higher in Starfinder.

Starship DC scaling.
Your starship has a tier equal to your character level (or rather the groups average). Almost all skill checks related to starships scale with (something + Tier x2), except for those which scale with (Tier x3). You'll be playing catchup at best, and at high levels you'll be lucky to make normal-difficulty checks if you aren't an Envoy or Operative.
That's interesting. Hadn't looked at that. I've never been a fan of starship combat, in any system. Even in Star Trek/Star Wars games, I'd prefer to do away missions or ground stuff rather than fly a ship around.

Archetypes, the Phrenic Adept especially, and especially for Envoys and Solarians.
They cost you class features at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 12th and 18th level, with some archetypes not replacing all of those.
For Envoys, Mechanics, Operatives and Solarians that replaces their equivalent of talents, which they gain every two levels. You'll be stuck with maybe a first-level choice (depending on class), but nothing else, until 8th level - then only get your next one at 14th level (since the 9th-level often is just "gain a feature at 10th-level instead of 9th, in place of the 10th-level talent).
And for Envoys and Solarians, you basically define your character with those talents. At least a mechanic still has a drone to customize, and an Operative gets some other nice things, the Soldier only loses bonus feats and gets all the class-unique things, and the spellcastres only lose spells known - but for the Envoy and Solarian, you're basically a class with barely any class features if you take an archetype.
This isn't as much a flaw as the other things, I would say, mainly because it's a 100% new design paradigm that I can't say I've ever seen in a level based system before. They're trying new design paradigms out, not all can be hits.

I do agree the archetype sucks, though.

Envoys have way too many talents (Envoy Improvisations) that you're expected to take twice. Want "Get 'Em" to aid your groups attack, and want it to scale to +2? You need to take it a second time. Want to taunt the enemy as a move-action instead of a standard-action? Take the talent twice. Same for Inspiring Boost and for Hurry.
This really really limits player choice. The list of talents also stops at 8th level, and while some auto-improve at 12th level, it's basically the same problem the Fighter had with bonus feats - having multiple 6th-level options just doesn't make a 12th-level character if you have no 12th-level options, much less having three of those at 18th-level.
Yeah, saw that. I'll wait to criticize it before I see how our group looks at upper level play/

Solarians have a ton of problems too. Their list of talents does get new options until 16 level, so that's good.
But the class simultaneously really wants you to be a melee combatant with high strength (there's no good finesse-option other than just wielding basic melee weapons), have high charisma, and wear light armor. It's MAD, in a bad way.
Charisma does nothing for melee. It influences the saving throw DCs of your revelations, and the amount of Resolve-points you get. A melee-focussed Solarian will be stuck with really low Resolve, which is quite bad.
At the same time, you really can't build a Charisma-heavy Solarian either, because there just aren't any good staple revelations you can rely on in combat - well, you could maybe try and disable enemies, but it'll be unreliable.
And ranged combat won't work due to a lack of proficiencies.
And while you don't have the same extreme lack of talents of the Envoy because you don't have to keep upgrading the same thing, you still have a relative lack of them with just getting one every two levels, given that they're your central class feature. There's even empty levels at 5th and 15th level, FFS.
Solarians were a mistake, I think the internet has agreed on that. They're solidly meh. That is a problem that should have been fixed, if they'd actually done open Beta testing. But they had an echo chamber. Now that it's out, classes going forward (and new class options) should be better balanced.

By the way, there is no "Extra Talent" feat that could fix some of the above issues, and while easy to homebrew, why the heck isn't it in the game?
Speaking of feats, some are just weirdly bad.
Minor Psychic Power, Psychic Power, and Major Psychic Power, for example. The first is a feat to be able to cast one 0th-level spell, from a limited list, three times per day. The second gives you one 1st-level spell (either Comprehend Languages, Detect Thoughts, or Mind Link), useable once per day. The last is either Augury or Status (2nd-level spells), also once per day.
Meanwhile, Connection Inkling and Technomantic Dabble each give you two 0th-level spells that are at-will and one 1st-level spell that you can use several times per day. That's more than three times the impact for the same cost.
Yeah, I already designed to homebrew the extra class feature into games I run. Don't know why it's not there.

Those feats are mirrors of Pathfinder feats, I believe, so I think that's a copy/paste issue they should have checked before deciding it was ever good enough in Pathfinder to bring over.

Personal Fixes I'd apply to Starfinder:
- Equipment just scales with the character level, and screw wealth-to-power. Mostly, it'll still give you fancy power armor, augmentations or magic items where the price tag seems justified
- some fix to the Starship scaling issue. Ideally something on the size, and how many weapon mounts you've added to the chassis (because those either require more crew or make the thing more cramped), not just tier.
- a feat that allows you to buy back some or all of the talents lost to archetypes
- Envoy Improvisations now auto-upgrade, and from 14th-level onward you can spend an Improvisation on reducing the resolve-cost of once Improvisation by 1 (to a minimum of 0).
- Solarians get extra revelations at 5th and 15th level, and possibly also at 9th level.
- the Psychic Power feat line now gives all the spells, and makes them at-will. Because none of those spells are broken if you can spam them (Augury costs Resolve). Alternatively, if that's too powerful, give extra options for every 3 character levels (for 0th-level), at 8th and 12th level (for 1st-level) and at 14th-level (for 2nd-level), somewhat reducing the intial power.

All of those would just eliminate most of the anti-fun I've found in Starfinder so far.
I'll check with my group, I like those ideas a lot.

In case it seems like I'm really disappointed about Starfinder - yes, I am. There's just too many bad and possibly broken design choices, and often just too many things that prohibit creating a fun and varied character.
An Envoy with five or six difference choices on how to boost allies in combat? Fun! Having two or three such choices for most of your career? Much less so.
Empty levels on the Solarian? Who thought that was fun? MAD? Also not fun!
Paying way too much for a cool archetpye? Why?
Not being able to have an arsenal of weapons without a huge loss of power? Anti-fun!
And so on and so forth.
So I'm really disappointed, and I really rather anticipated this game.
Other than the Envoy thing and the archetype thing, I haven't been that upset about the system. But I can see how some may be upset.

I will say, though, one more time, that there isn't a good way for them to do the weapon thing. They could have it scale by class, but at that point it adds a lot more complicated stuff to multi-classing. Or if it simply scales by level, that seems really arbitrary, IMO, and it's not something I want. I see it scaling by weapon price as a subtle distinction, since paying more for a weapon makes sense to me for it to be better.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with weapon damage scaling. That part is perfectly fine.
It's the huge price-discrepancy between low-level and high-level weapons, and how much money you have to sink into keeping your weapon up-to-date, and how it impedes character variety.

And why not just have the weapons scale with character level?
It makes as much sense as a high-level character having way more hitpoints. If you're high level, you're simply way better at getting the most out of your weapon, by hitting the right spot on an enemy, knowing a ton of minor maintenance tricks, and so on. It needs as much justification as a high-level character having 120 hp while a low-level one has 12, or what you have.

Then just design your wealth-by-level system without the assumption that most of it will be spent on high-level weapons and armor.
Hopefully, that even allows you to scale down the huge wealth-increase that comes with level. Because that just heavily impedes a lot of stories at higher levels - heck, it'd even get rid of the fact that getting captured and having all your stuff taken is often ten times worse than dying, because you're losing way more power from it. It just avoids a lot of other weird stuff too.

As for "future updates should be better" - come on, Paizo had eight years of experience with Pathfinder, and Starfinder contains utterly amateur mistakes. It's not so radically different that this experience shouldn't have translated.
The Solarians bad interaction with Charisma? An amateur mistake. Empty levels? Amateur mistake. Bad DC-scaling? Ameteur mistake. A lot of those just can't be excused.
Stuff like the weapons can at least be excused with trying a radical new thing, but simultaneously they apparently just weren't willing to throw some stuff overboard.

I'm not exactly optimistic about Starfinder improving much in the future. Oh, it probably will - but some mistakes like the weapon scaling will just remain, and the same most likely goes for archetypes and a ton of other things.

Alright, I see your point now.

Yeah, Paizo seems to have in house design problems, they need open betas. Which is depressing, 10 years in and they're still making rookie mistakes.

The worst part of the weapons, to me, is still not having open mundane crafting. Seriously, if Pazio's going to toss new things at us, it should at least be something open to being fixed, like a point-build system. Exponential costs on mundane gear are much less offensive if we get to actually pick the details. Open to min/maxing? Yes, but also not prone to ignorance-based mistakes in player choice, like everything D&D based has been for everything outside of 4e and 5e. Provided you don't have the point-build broken, that is...

Then again, point build systems don't allow them to print off several books of nothing but items. Though GURPS manages to get away with endless point buy system printing by carefully managing gaps.

RIP Big Bads, Technomancers just confirmed best assassins:
You can't combo Phase/Seeking Shot with Spellshot, the former require a standard action, and the latter requires a standard action to cast the spell and gives a free shot to fire the weapon. But you can actually fire a Phase/Seeking Shot at a target "known to you within range" without the ability to actually see it or know its precise location, so LOL if you don't have a Technomancer bodyguard who can cast Resilient Sphere to protect you from (followup shots from) Technomancer sniper assassins. RIP BBEGs, get ready to dodge books from the GM.

Note that Phase/Seeking Shot do combo with Empowered Weapon (+spell level to attack, +d6 spell level to damage) and a Supercharged Weapon spell to maximize that first hit. Either carry a glamored sniper rifle around disguised as a long, thin object or just use Fabricate Arms to create one. Late game it might be worth the feats for proficiency and specialization. Heck, five feats on proficiency (long arms, sniper, heavy weapons) and specialization (versatile specialization) isn't that bad an idea. You get Spell Focus for free, you don't desperately need too many other feats right away.

paizo.com - Starfinder General Discussion: Technomancers are the Best Snipers

Basically, the fact that a Technomage can buff their attacks, then shoot at a hidden BBEG, then buff again and do it again, is pretty silly awesome.

Seeking Shot negates most miss chances (except full concealment), it's a weapon enchantment, and Phase Shot, a Technomancer ability, let's shots go through non-magical barriers to hit someone. Apply the weapon surge spell (+4d6) and burn a 6th level spell slot with the Empower Technomancer ability (+6 attack and +6d6 damage) and you can do some serious damage from complete safety. Throw in another Technomancer to do the buffing, and you can do some silly damage. With a high level sniper (10d10 damage) this comes out to be about 10d10+10d6 per hit. Which is really good from range and with no way for the BBEG to easily respond unless they too are a Technomancer.

It won't win any encounters, but it allows a party to start to wear a big bad down once they can figure out where they are, and then allow the martials to finish it.

If you can't beat them...

I'm sorry for jumping into the convo like this but I saw something that caught my attention,

Seriously, if Pazio's going to toss new things at us, it should at least be something open to being fixed, like a point-build system. Exponential costs on mundane gear are much less offensive if we get to actually pick the details. Open to min/maxing? Yes, but also not prone to ignorance-based mistakes in player choice, like everything D&D based has been for everything outside of 4e and 5e. Provided you don't have the point-build broken, that is...

Then again, point build systems don't allow them to print off several books of nothing but items. Though GURPS manages to get away with endless point buy system printing by carefully managing gaps.

If I understand correctly (I haven't really been following along) a new expansion for D&D was released which included "exponential costs for mundane gear". However, as much as I like GURPS I don't think including a point-based system will work here. GURPS is based from the ground up with the point-buy system in mind. Your charter can take Disadvantages that can grant more points - D&D, simply, is not.

Another issue is with the span of points. I have a friend who likes to GM GURPS Supers which has 1,000 point characters - while fun I always felt that to be a bit unwieldy. I prefer 150 or 200 point characters. To have the point-buy system be adopted into D&D would require a small pool at start that scales as you level. A lot of work all around.

It seems I posted during a ongoing discussion. I apologize for that. Still, I would like some feedback on the build I thought up (it's three posts up).
What edition is it? You mentioned archetypes, which is a Pathfinder thing, but you also mentioned Unearthed Arcana which was the title of a sourcebook in several editions but not, as far as I know, in Pathfinder....

I'm sorry for jumping into the convo like this but I saw something that caught my attention,
No need to apologize. It's a forum. Topics of conversation are open to anyone to participate.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with weapon damage scaling. That part is perfectly fine.
It's the huge price-discrepancy between low-level and high-level weapons, and how much money you have to sink into keeping your weapon up-to-date, and how it impedes character variety.
I haven't looked at Starfinder yet, but comments like this make me really miss Star Wars Saga Edition and lament that the licensing issues mean that it could never be OGL, because it solved a lot of these problems back in 2007, before 4E or PF were even out.

Damage and Defense increased automatically with level and extra damage dice could be gained with special attacks taken as feats so that gear-based bonuses were not necessary to keep up. This meant that PCs didn't have to rifle through the pockets of dead guys and steal everything that wasn't nailed down to stay relevant. There was some minor gear modding, but there was nothing like a +5 blaster that would make you substantively more powerful than another character. Of the two 20th level charcters in the book, one had the wealth and resources of an empire and the other had a mud hut and a stick.

That, plus near-infinite character customization (you can make multiple PCs of the same class that all play completely differently based on their choice of talents) and fast-moving combat made SWSE my group's favorite D20 system of all time. We were all looking forward to 4E because we thought it would be basically Saga Edition for fantasy, and were greatly disappointed.

Another really bad thing due to weapon pricing: Grenades.
Grenades get ludicrously expensive as you level up. A Frag Grenade V costs 216,000 credits - that's only 50% less than the cost of the highest-level flamethrower (367k), and about a quarter of that of the most expensive heavy weapon (950k). It's more than an installing a wepon fusion into a 20th-level weapon (135k). In non-weapon terms, there's only one augmentation that's more expensive, it's 2/3rds of the price of a highest-tier computer, or almost six 6th-level spell gems (the equivalent to scrolls)

And of course Grenades are consumables.
Yes, their price is so ludicrous that a bunch of people on the Paizo forums genuinely asked if they're re-usable. Because it really seems like they should be, at those prices. Who the hell would spend a quarter-million credits on an item that only does damage?

Now, grenades generally do have more damage dice than level-equivalent weapons. That 20th-level Frag Grenade does 20D6 damage, while a 20th-level Shockcaster would only do 7D12 (but actually has a slightly larger radius, and can of course be re-used).
But 20D6 is only 70 damage, while 7D12 is 45.5 - except the Shockcaster also gets Weapon Specialization (which grenades never do), so it's actually 65.5 damage. So it's not even noteably more damage on the grenade, it has a shorter range (20 ft. vs. 40 ft.), actually impacts a smaller radius (15 ft. vs. 20 ft.), can't benefit from weapon fusions, and isn't even re-usable.
And this isn't really different for other levels. A 10th-level Frag does 6D6 (=21), a 10th-level Shockcaster does 2D12+10 (23), so the grenades can actually do less damage!

Some have argued that this pricing is to prevent players from throwing grenades all over the place, specifically around corners into rooms whenver they enter one.
It'd have been far better to either adress that with suggesting smart counter-tatics to that, or barring that introducing some techno/magi-babble solution to the problem (forcefields that bounce grenades back, or something) that the GM can use if it gets out of hand. As it is right now, no player would ever buy a grenade, and only maybe use it if it's found in loot. And the question who even crafts those grenades, at those prices? Who knows!

Oh, and re-charging batteries is also weird.
It costs half the price of a new battery. That's way too expensive for just some power - and it does only require power, since you can also re-charge it at your starship for free.
This is either yet another case of adventurers getting ludicrously screwed economically (just as you can only sell things at 10% of the price), or the prices for power in Starfinder are utterly weird.
It'd have been far more elegant to just assume it's free most of the time, or say that the high-capacity batteries used in weapons require that some of their innards are replaced, to explain the price, if you need a balancing factor against ammunition costs.

Of course, both the cost of ammunition and batteries becomes utterly trivial at higher levels. The most expensive battery (holding 100 charges) costs 445 credits, at 15th-level you're assumed to have 500k credits. Buying a 100 batteries would cost 44.5k.
And this is a problem, because batteries are assumed to be limited for balancing some things. Technomancers can drain a battery to fuel their spells - fortunately it's only once per day, or it could be spammed. But mostly, this applies to powered armor - all but the most basic model (which drains a charge per hour) drain a charge per minute, which is clearly intended to limit their useage. But at the point where you can afford a flight frame (27k), you could just buy 50 high-charge batteries as well (or better yet, loot every battery you see on enemy gear) and get 83 hours of operation time from that - easily enough to just re-charge at your spaceship unless you're away for a really long time.

Bulk doesn't really fix that either - those 50 batteries would count as 5 bulk, which is easily carryable with the higher strength from the power armor. Worse yet, we still have Bags of Holding (called Null-Space chambers), the smallest of which can hold 25 bulk - or in other words, 250 batteries with 25,000 charges.

Now admittedly the price of batteries is high enough that it's not trivial until the actually high levels, but it really does encourage lots and lots of looting (spare batteries are just really useful), and for power armor it's particularly bad because you only get most of the good ones at high levels anyway.

What edition is it? You mentioned archetypes, which is a Pathfinder thing, but you also mentioned Unearthed Arcana which was the title of a sourcebook in several editions but not, as far as I know, in Pathfinder....
Likely 5E - archetypes is the generic name for the specializations classes get between level 1 and 5 (wizards pick an arcane tradition, clerics pick a domain, fighters pick a martial archetype, etc), and Unearthed Arcana is the name for the playtest material series Wizards puts up on their website.

Likely 5E - archetypes is the generic name for the specializations classes get between level 1 and 5 (wizards pick an arcane tradition, clerics pick a domain, fighters pick a martial archetype, etc), and Unearthed Arcana is the name for the playtest material series Wizards puts up on their website.
Well, I won't be able to help with 5E. Never played it.

No need to apologize. It's a forum. Topics of conversation are open to anyone to participate.

It's standard 5e. At third level you can unlock different paths for your character to go down - like with the Fighter it's Champion, Battle Master, and Arcane Knight. They may not actually be called Archetypes...

As for the apology I was just trying to be polite.

The battery economy is worse than that. Because batteries are all supposed to be the same size, and new items come with fresh batteries, you can buy an 80chg battery for 7creds by buying a new commlink.

Or just get a bunch of 10chg batteries from flashlights and just have to change out batteries more often.

It's standard 5e. At third level you can unlock different paths for your character to go down - like with the Fighter it's Champion, Battle Master, and Arcane Knight. They may not actually be called Archetypes...

Archetype is the correct word. The Fighter class literally just calls its three Subclasses Martial Archetypes.

The battery economy is worse than that. Because batteries are all supposed to be the same size, and new items come with fresh batteries, you can buy an 80chg battery for 7creds by buying a new commlink.

Or just get a bunch of 10chg batteries from flashlights and just have to change out batteries more often.
That too, but at least you could say those batteries aren't weapon-grade.
Oh, and while it's a blessing for the battery-economy, it's very weird that the Transfer Charge spell can only let you transfer charges between batteries of the same size. Of course, you should be just able to build a technological device that does that, because we're able to do that IRL right now - at which point, batteries become even more meaningless.

And speaking of more design errors:
The Soldier is actually a good class! Or at least, they get unique and pretty good features, with specializations that you can't replicate with feats and that get upgrades all the way into the high levels. So that very much avoids the Fighter-problem!
Except Soldiers get nothing for out-of-combat use. Not a single class feature interacts with skills in any way, or is in any way useful out of combat. At best you could argue that they have so many bonus combat feats, you can spend your normal feats on skills and such - but that's, obviously, just options open to every class.

And this wouldn't have been hard to avoid! Just a simple skill bonus would have been neat.
You could have Honour Guards with bonuses to Culture, Diplomacy and Sense Motive. Guerilla Soldiers with a bonus to Acrobatics, Athletics and Survival. Criminal Enforces with bonuses to Disguise, Intimidate and Sleight of Hand. And those three are just off the top of my head!
Now, there's maybe some overlap with Themes, but it's hardly too much to ask to give any class out-of-combat abilities.
And you could have just replaced the Gear Boosts (which don't do much anyway) you get every few levels with some out-of-combat talents, but oh well.

Apparently, Paizo still thinks it's good design philosophy to make classes who are only good in combat. Or they thought themes would fix that, but they're really pretty minor.

I don't do fighters much, so I can't give too much advice as to how the build works, but yes Hoardbreaker does indeed stack with Great Weapon Master's bonus Action attack, as well as with fighters multiple Extra Attacks.

Where do I find a 5e DM Guide PDF?

I would much rather purchase one myself, but I'm still rather young, so I can't.

Walker of the Yellow Path Homebrew: Oath of Exorcism
Made a new Subclass based off the idea of Archer Paladin for Fifth Edition. Looking for thoughts and critique.

Oath of Exorcism
Notes: If DMs allow this Oath, Paladins should gain access to the Archery Fighting Style. Though the text of this Oath specifies bows and arrows, any ranged weapon can be used for this Oath.

Inspirations: Kikyo and Kagome (Inuyasha), Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon), Decidueye (Pokemon)

Oath Tenets
Community
: Always do your best to bolster and protect your home.
Charity: Money should not be spent on selfish whims, but to enrich the lives of those around you.
Even Handedness: Unless one side is abhorrently evil, you must always do your best to consider both sides of a conflict.
Hospitality: You must aide travelers and strangers who ask for aide, so long as their requests are reasonable and they do not do harm to you or those you protect.

Oath Spells
3rd: Protection from Evil and Good, Sanctuary
5th: Cordon of Arrows, Lesser Restoration
9th: Conjure Barrage, Lightning Arrow
13th: Banishment, Guardian of Faith
17th: Dispel Evil and Good, Swift Quiver

Smiting Arrow
At 3rd level, an Exorcist can channel their divine power through their Arrows, searing the flesh and soul with each bolt. When you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack, you can expend one paladin spell slot to deal Radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than one, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or fiend.
You cannot use the Divine Smite or Improved Divine Smite Features if you have this feature

Channel Divinity
When you take this Oath at Third level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity Options.
Turning Arrow: As an action, you can use your Channel Divinity to make a ranged weapon attack with advantage. If the attack hits, the target and each fiend and undead that can see or hear the target and is within 10 feet of the target must make a Wisdom Saving Throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
A turned creature must spend its turn trying to move away from you, and it can't willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can't take reactions. For its action, it can only use the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there's nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.
Spirit Shackle: As an action, an Exorcist can use their Channel Divinity to make a ranged weapon attack. If the attack hits, the arrow impacts into the target's shadow, dealing radiant damage instead of its normal damage type. The target must make a Dexterity or Strength Saving Throw, or be restrained as their shadow gets bound to the arrow's position. While restrained by the arrow, they repeat the save at the end of each of their turns. On a success, they free themselves and the arrow breaks.

Defensive Archer
Beginning at 7th level, when a hostile creatures moves to a space within 10 feet of you, you can use your reaction to make a ranged weapon attack at them. You can then move up to half your speed as part of the reaction, but you can only move away from the creature who triggered this feature. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Aura of Warding
At 7th level, you and all friendly creatures within 10 feet of you are cannot become possessed, though this does not end possession effects.
At 18th level, the range of this aura becomes 30 feet.

Improved Smiting Arrows
At 11th level, you are so infused with righteous might that all of your arrows carry divine power in them. Whenever you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack, the creature takes an additional 1d8 radiant damage. If you also use your Smiting Arrow feature, you add this damage to the extra damage of your Smiting Arrow.

Purity of Spirit
Beginning at 15th level, you are always under the effects of the Protection from Evil and Good spell.

Bow of Cleansing
At 20th level, as an action, you can endow your bow with divine power. For one minute, the bow and all arrows begin to shine with bright light in a 10 foot radius, and dim light shines from 10 feet past that.
When you hit with a ranged weapon attack, all friendly creatures within ten feet of your target or you regain 5 hp, and all hostile creatures within ten feet of the target or you take 5 radiant damage (including the target). Undead and Fiends take an additional 10 radiant damage and have disadvantage on all Saving Throws until the start of your next turn.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Last edited:
That too, but at least you could say those batteries aren't weapon-grade.
Oh, and while it's a blessing for the battery-economy, it's very weird that the Transfer Charge spell can only let you transfer charges between batteries of the same size. Of course, you should be just able to build a technological device that does that, because we're able to do that IRL right now - at which point, batteries become even more meaningless.

And speaking of more design errors:
The Soldier is actually a good class! Or at least, they get unique and pretty good features, with specializations that you can't replicate with feats and that get upgrades all the way into the high levels. So that very much avoids the Fighter-problem!
Except Soldiers get nothing for out-of-combat use. Not a single class feature interacts with skills in any way, or is in any way useful out of combat. At best you could argue that they have so many bonus combat feats, you can spend your normal feats on skills and such - but that's, obviously, just options open to every class.

And this wouldn't have been hard to avoid! Just a simple skill bonus would have been neat.
You could have Honour Guards with bonuses to Culture, Diplomacy and Sense Motive. Guerilla Soldiers with a bonus to Acrobatics, Athletics and Survival. Criminal Enforces with bonuses to Disguise, Intimidate and Sleight of Hand. And those three are just off the top of my head!
Now, there's maybe some overlap with Themes, but it's hardly too much to ask to give any class out-of-combat abilities.
And you could have just replaced the Gear Boosts (which don't do much anyway) you get every few levels with some out-of-combat talents, but oh well.

Apparently, Paizo still thinks it's good design philosophy to make classes who are only good in combat. Or they thought themes would fix that, but they're really pretty minor.
There are problems, but I'm still interested in playing at least the first AP. My friend currently has me running Strange Aeons (pf/call of cthulhu) and a Star Wars game (Fantasy Flight), a guy running Skull and Shackles (pf) and Dead Suns (sf), and a guy running Way of the Wicked (pf). We play enough that if there are some problems we'll figure out ways to smooth them over, we have enough other resources to draw from.

I enjoy the Paizo setting enough that I want to see what new design spaces they use in Starfinder.

Someone mentioned Saga Edition earlier in the thread, and that is probably my favorite d20 level based game. I loved to build high level characters and run scenarios against other players. I also loved the leveling and play style of the different classes, it was quite nice.

Last edited:
Okay, could someone explain how magic item crafting works in PF?

Do they just cost half to make with no XP cost?

Okay, could someone explain how magic item crafting works in PF?

Do they just cost half to make with no XP cost?
Pretty much. You need the right magic item creation feat to do it, need materials that cost 50% of the price of the item, and then progress in the crafting at a rate of 1000 gp per 8 hours of work (with no more than that being possible per day. This time does not need to be consecutive each day or between days, and you can even craft while out adventuring (but at a less efficient rate, spending 4 hours for 2 hours of progress).
At the end of this, you make a Spellcraft check (sometimes you can use another skill) with a DC of 5+the items caster level + 5 for every prerequisite ignored. You can ignore all prerequisites other than the magic item creation feat, though you can not ignore spells on spell-trigger/completion items.

There's no XP cost anywhere, because Pathfinder never has you lose XP or levels from anything.

Common tricks to get better at crafting include having a Valet familiar (doubles your crafting speed), taking the two cost-reducing traits (total 10% less cost) and obviously optimizing your skill checks. There might be some other stuff, but if so I do not recall it right now.

Back