Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

5E question: Is there anything wrong with letting a Caster use their weapon as a Holy Symbol/Arcane Focus?

I'm planning on a Bard/Paladin who wields a great two handed sledge whose head is actually a large bell that he rings to cast spells, inspired by the Dark Souls 2 Sacred Chime Hammer.

5E question: Is there anything wrong with letting a Caster use their weapon as a Holy Symbol/Arcane Focus?
Depends on the Deity they worship and what their Holy Symbol is.
IIRC worshippers of Lolth design some of their weapons to resemble spiders specifically to do this kind of thing.
edit:
Having a shield that has a Holy Symbol painted on the front should also work.

Last edited:

I'm planning on a Bard/Paladin who wields a great two handed sledge whose head is actually a large bell that he rings to cast spells, inspired by the Dark Souls 2 Sacred Chime Hammer.

Raw, not really, unless you're an updated College of Swords bard which can make their weapons count as foci as a class ability. You'd need warcaster feat to do somatic things with your hands full, but technically you can already do the "drop your weapon, grab your holy symbol and cast, and pick up your weapon" thing so this just gets around that stupidity. Check with your dm, and they'll probs allow it unless they're really strict. It's unlikely to be at all unbalanced so I can't really see them saying no.

As @erlking said, RAW there is no weapon that can be used as a Holy Symbol / Arcane Focus. You can sort-of wing it with Wizards and other Arcane Casters by saying a Staff is an Improvised Weapon (Staff) without much trouble, but if just looking at the Player's Handbook (or even the DMG) there's very few weapon options that can double as an arcane focus (which is part of the reason Eldritch Knights almost always run a Great Weapon or Archery Fighting Style with a Component Pouch instead of a Focus).

That said, also as they said ask the DM as many times a DM will be more than willing to let you improvise so long as it makes sense thematically.

Raw, not really, unless you're an updated College of Swords bard which can make their weapons count as foci as a class ability. You'd need warcaster feat to do somatic things with your hands full, but technically you can already do the "drop your weapon, grab your holy symbol and cast, and pick up your weapon" thing so this just gets around that stupidity. Check with your dm, and they'll probs allow it unless they're really strict. It's unlikely to be at all unbalanced so I can't really see them saying no.
As @erlking said, RAW there is no weapon that can be used as a Holy Symbol / Arcane Focus. You can sort-of wing it with Wizards and other Arcane Casters by saying a Staff is an Improvised Weapon (Staff) without much trouble, but if just looking at the Player's Handbook (or even the DMG) there's very few weapon options that can double as an arcane focus (which is part of the reason Eldritch Knights almost always run a Great Weapon or Archery Fighting Style with a Component Pouch instead of a Focus).

That said, also as they said ask the DM as many times a DM will be more than willing to let you improvise so long as it makes sense thematically.
Thanks! And yeah I'm pretty sure my DM will let me do it.

As @erlking said, RAW there is no weapon that can be used as a Holy Symbol / Arcane Focus.
It depends on which weapon and which Deity you are talking about.
For someone like Hextor?
You can sure as hell bet that a spiked gauntlet holy symbol would also be functional as a weapon.
Although it might not work as a holy symbol unless you were holding some arrows, although the arrows could also be actual arrows.
edit:
Holy Symbols that can be represented by a weapon or other piece of equipment;

Last edited:
Some stuff I worked out in regards to custom Drilbus over on Minmax because I noticed them while looking for Psionics crafting stuff:
Interesting random notes: Drilbus are able to be used as Masterwork Quarterstaves by default. Staffs lack this wording by default. The default Drilbu rules specify custom Drilbu creation, which scales price based on total power levels, while the default staff rules specify only specific staffs. Another interesting note is that Drilbu total power levels go up to 18, while the highest pre-Epic use is at 16 total power levels because 17 total power levels costs well over the 200k GP pre-Epic limit. The pricing formula is also busted in several ways, even with the restrictions, because each power level at ML 20 costs 15,000 GP. Which means ML 20 Metaphysical Weapon + Crystal Shard costs only 30,000 GP for 50 charges of either 20 hours long +4 basic enhancement or 20d6 damage on a Ranged Touch Attack. It can then given 170,000 GP of regular weapon enhancements on top of that, which means that this 50 charges leaves enough for +9 actual enhancement. So you are toting over a month of having a virtual +13 item with a day's access being tradeable for a 20d6 damage Touch attack.

Or you can go Psychometabolism and grab Expansion and Metaphysical Claw for gaining two size categories as a Swift action for over three hours as one single-charge use, and the other single-charge use being to gain a Claw natural attack that deals 5d6 damage at Medium size. For 20 hours. This is right up there with at-will True Strike for badly priced custom item rules.
Hallo gish-tool. I might have skipped some details in my rush to ramble about how crazy the things can be made(I certainly skipped some grammar checking...), but some Powers, particularly off the PsyWar list, are quite broken due to the ML/GP ratio making ML 20 1st level powers crazy cheap for 50 bloody charges of the things. And 2nd level powers are still stupidly strong.

Some stuff I worked out in regards to custom Drilbus over on Minmax because I noticed them while looking for Psionics crafting stuff:

Hallo gish-tool. I might have skipped some details in my rush to ramble about how crazy the things can be made(I certainly skipped some grammar checking...), but some Powers, particularly off the PsyWar list, are quite broken due to the ML/GP ratio making ML 20 1st level powers crazy cheap for 50 bloody charges of the things. And 2nd level powers are still stupidly strong.
Guy you quoted is wrong. Check the cost for creating a staff, the cost of a masterwork quarterstaff is included in the cost.

Edit: Also, check the date, that's 3.0 content.

Last edited:

The world of Airth.
Literally torn apart by an ancient war between the gods who created it, Airth is divided into 4 sections:

1. the Stratos, a chain of islands high in the sky where the Sylph people live

2. The Rimland, a massive ring of continents and giant islands where Most of the inhabitants of Airth live.

3. The Abyss, a stretch of atmosphere filled with incredible cloud formations and tiny floating islands.

4. The Core, an ocean covered rocky sphere filled with colossal caves.

There is a prophecy that the Dark Lord will regain his power and destroy what's left of Airth to start a new planet with him as ruler. The only thing that can stop him is the Star Seed. It is the key to making Airth whole again and destroying the darkness forever. But is the Star Seed only a myth?
SkyHeart - Mr Jake Parker
Has anybody played a game in a setting like this before?

Would a perk that lets you swim through Treasure as if it was water be useful?

If it isn't useful enough, let's say it gives you +1 to Strength too.

I mean, it depends on how often they're finding huge treasure hoards. In most cases it's probs not that useful, just because if they aren't metaphorically swimming in gold they probs don't need to literally do it. Might be nice if they hit a lot of dragon hoards or something?

Edit: For reference, this is 100 Tons of gold. 50 gp, is a lb. so you're looking at an excess of 100,000 gp for then to really even be able to fully submerge.

Last edited:
Is someone making Scrooge McDuck as a character?

It's probably bad as a feat, but it's tge esoteric sort of thing you might find as a power on a bound Vestige or spirit.

So Starfinder is fun, it's like bits of DnD 4 and 5e got put into 3.X and out came a new product. Casters are really nerfed, there aren't very many good battlefield control spells anymore. Blaster, healer, mind control, but battlefield control is gone.

More balanced, it seems, but I'm really bummed that my favorite play style (keeping battle under control so non-mages can kill enemies) isn't really viable.

The system is pretty sleak, and the weapon level idea is brilliant. Really a fan.

So Starfinder is fun, it's like bits of DnD 4 and 5e got put into 3.X and out came a new product. Casters are really nerfed, there aren't very many good battlefield control spells anymore. Blaster, healer, mind control, but battlefield control is gone.

More balanced, it seems, but I'm really bummed that my favorite play style (keeping battle under control so non-mages can kill enemies) isn't really viable.

The system is pretty sleak, and the weapon level idea is brilliant. Really a fan.

That.... sounds really nice!

So, D&D 3 and PF have this problem where a fair number of feats require several feats as prerequisites, and often not all the prerequisites are very (or at all) useful to you (Combat Expertise is a big feat tax here, as is Point Blank Shot).

Sure, it's become a popular house rule among some to cancel or combine the more common "feat tax" feats, but there are so many many feats that have odious feat prerequiste requirements, so you're only making the better known/less esoteric feat chains more palatable.

So instead, I'm going with this houserule: If players take 3 feats in a feat chain, or take a feat pyramid with at least 2 pre-requisite feats, they gain a bonus feat, that they can use for whatever.

This makes these prereq-heavy feats less of an opportunity cost.

By Feat Chain, I mean when:

A is a prerequisite for B
A and B are both prerequisites for C
(A and B and C are all prerequisites for D, etc. - if the feat chain extends to 6 feats, you get a second bonus feat, and for a 9 feat chain, a third bonus feat.)

By Feat Pyramid, I mean when:

W, X and Y are all prerequisites for Z (but not necessarily for each other)

No double dipping feats - you need three fresh feats for a bonus feat.

For feat pyramids the"three fresh feats" minimum still applies, but if say, you have a capstone feat and three prereqs, for a four feat pyramid, one of those three prereqs can have been used to qualify for a different pyramid or feat chain, since you're still getting three previously-uncounted feats.

Feat pyramids only count if you take the capstone feat, however. You cannot, in the above example take W, X, and Y, and then ask for the bonus feat because you intend to take Z at a later level.

Bonus feats you have earned can be counted towards earning new bonus feats if they slot into a chain/pyramid.

(yes, taking 11 levels of Ranger automatically gets you a bonus feat under this system - unless you are using a variant ranger fighting style with bonus feats that don't chain.)

So, I have a build I want to discuss. The DM has told me what is or is not possible and all that is left at this point is some general brainstorming on my part. I was hoping to get some advice.

Without further adieu:

The Master
So my character is a Half Orc Fighter of the Champion Archetype (for Savage Attack + Improved Critical synergy) he's a sword and board fighter with the dueling fighting style, a longsword, and Sentinel Shield. He just hit level 9 and I started to look up feats I could take at level 12 (I already have 20 Strength) and came across Great Weapon Master.

That's what started it all.

For those who don't know, the way the feat works is that "on your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon (presumably a two-hander) or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee attack as a bonus action". The feat also has the ability to trade accuracy for damage, but it's the first point that interests me. It has clear synergy with my current build.

I facebooked my GM about it, and while it was possible to retcon it he mentioned two other possibilities:
  • Multiclassing into Ranger
  • Getting the Blade Mastery feat from Unearthed Arcana.
Blade Mastery is the feat that this build is focused on. Essentially, it provides a +1 bonus to attack with all bladed weapons, allows you to take a "parrying stance" as a reaction to add +1 to AC and gives Advantage to opportunity attacks. It has both offense and defense and is all around pretty good. But more than that it gives my character some depth and development. He started off as a soldier, became a mercenary, and over the course of the campaign he became more skilled with both his longsword and a future greatsword (that I've yet to acquire). He becomes a master of the sword. All is good.

So, why am I thinking of Level dipping into Ranger?

It was my GM who first brought it to my attention - a Ranger at Level Two gains a Fighting Style (and Spellcasting - more on this later). I could use this to get Defense (my original idea for when I hit Fighter 10) and then later Great Weapon Fighting for my second Fighter Fighting Style.

That's not to say that the other abilities are not desirable to me - for instance, for campaign reasons, I'm thinking of taking orcs and desert for the Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer. At level two the Fighting Style is unlocked and Spellcasting is - allowing me to use Hunter's Mark and Absorb Elements from Elemental Evil (got permission from my GM - his stance is if it's in a book it's good). And Level 3 (the farthest I'm willing to go) unlocks the Ranger Archetypes of which I'll pick Hunter and Horde Breaker as it possibly stacks with the Great Weapon Master feat (I actually was hoping to get some feedback on that).

That's the build. What do you think of it? Is it a good idea to multiclass or should I just stay with the Fighter? Is it fine to go after both the Blade Mastery and Great Weapon Master feats or should I only choose one and raise my Abilities the other times?

That.... sounds really nice!
There are some pretty glaring flaws with the system (economy is completely borked, you can make pretty much infinite money buying comm units and selling their batteries, for example, and some of the classes have really poorly designed class abilities like the Technomancer having the ability to choose to affect robots with mind affecting spells... while having almost no mind affecting spells because they are all on the Mystic spell list and not the Technomancer spell list), but overall it's a nice shake up to d20 rules that I enjoy so far.

There are some pretty glaring flaws with the system (economy is completely borked, you can make pretty much infinite money buying comm units and selling their batteries, for example, and some of the classes have really poorly designed class abilities like the Technomancer having the ability to choose to affect robots with mind affecting spells... while having almost no mind affecting spells because they are all on the Mystic spell list and not the Technomancer spell list), but overall it's a nice shake up to d20 rules that I enjoy so far.
So the usual elegant design plan but poor playtesting we expect from Paizo? :p

It seems I posted during a ongoing discussion. I apologize for that. Still, I would like some feedback on the build I thought up (it's three posts up).

Still, those are pretty minor issues as these things go.

Still, those are pretty minor issues as these things go.
There's a ton of other issues though:

Weapon (and armor) scaling. It goes purely by price, and more money outright equals more power. A starter laser pistol costs 350 credits and does 1D4 damage, the most expensive laser pistol does 8D4 damage and costs 245,200 credits.
Not only is this just plain weird, it also heavily discourages any character who wants to have multiple weapons. Say you want power armor with an in-built flamer, wield a plasma rifle, and want a nice melee weapon and pistol as backup? Have fun gimping the damage of all of those.

Starship DC scaling.
Your starship has a tier equal to your character level (or rather the groups average). Almost all skill checks related to starships scale with (something + Tier x2), except for those which scale with (Tier x3). You'll be playing catchup at best, and at high levels you'll be lucky to make normal-difficulty checks if you aren't an Envoy or Operative.

Archetypes, the Phrenic Adept especially, and especially for Envoys and Solarians.
They cost you class features at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 12th and 18th level, with some archetypes not replacing all of those.
For Envoys, Mechanics, Operatives and Solarians that replaces their equivalent of talents, which they gain every two levels. You'll be stuck with maybe a first-level choice (depending on class), but nothing else, until 8th level - then only get your next one at 14th level (since the 9th-level often is just "gain a feature at 10th-level instead of 9th, in place of the 10th-level talent).
And for Envoys and Solarians, you basically define your character with those talents. At least a mechanic still has a drone to customize, and an Operative gets some other nice things, the Soldier only loses bonus feats and gets all the class-unique things, and the spellcastres only lose spells known - but for the Envoy and Solarian, you're basically a class with barely any class features if you take an archetype.

Envoys have way too many talents (Envoy Improvisations) that you're expected to take twice. Want "Get 'Em" to aid your groups attack, and want it to scale to +2? You need to take it a second time. Want to taunt the enemy as a move-action instead of a standard-action? Take the talent twice. Same for Inspiring Boost and for Hurry.
This really really limits player choice. The list of talents also stops at 8th level, and while some auto-improve at 12th level, it's basically the same problem the Fighter had with bonus feats - having multiple 6th-level options just doesn't make a 12th-level character if you have no 12th-level options, much less having three of those at 18th-level.

Solarians have a ton of problems too. Their list of talents does get new options until 16 level, so that's good.
But the class simultaneously really wants you to be a melee combatant with high strength (there's no good finesse-option other than just wielding basic melee weapons), have high charisma, and wear light armor. It's MAD, in a bad way.
Charisma does nothing for melee. It influences the saving throw DCs of your revelations, and the amount of Resolve-points you get. A melee-focussed Solarian will be stuck with really low Resolve, which is quite bad.
At the same time, you really can't build a Charisma-heavy Solarian either, because there just aren't any good staple revelations you can rely on in combat - well, you could maybe try and disable enemies, but it'll be unreliable.
And ranged combat won't work due to a lack of proficiencies.
And while you don't have the same extreme lack of talents of the Envoy because you don't have to keep upgrading the same thing, you still have a relative lack of them with just getting one every two levels, given that they're your central class feature. There's even empty levels at 5th and 15th level, FFS.

By the way, there is no "Extra Talent" feat that could fix some of the above issues, and while easy to homebrew, why the heck isn't it in the game?
Speaking of feats, some are just weirdly bad.
Minor Psychic Power, Psychic Power, and Major Psychic Power, for example. The first is a feat to be able to cast one 0th-level spell, from a limited list, three times per day. The second gives you one 1st-level spell (either Comprehend Languages, Detect Thoughts, or Mind Link), useable once per day. The last is either Augury or Status (2nd-level spells), also once per day.
Meanwhile, Connection Inkling and Technomantic Dabble each give you two 0th-level spells that are at-will and one 1st-level spell that you can use several times per day. That's more than three times the impact for the same cost.

Personal Fixes I'd apply to Starfinder:
- Equipment just scales with the character level, and screw wealth-to-power. Mostly, it'll still give you fancy power armor, augmentations or magic items where the price tag seems justified
- some fix to the Starship scaling issue. Ideally something on the size, and how many weapon mounts you've added to the chassis (because those either require more crew or make the thing more cramped), not just tier.
- a feat that allows you to buy back some or all of the talents lost to archetypes
- Envoy Improvisations now auto-upgrade, and from 14th-level onward you can spend an Improvisation on reducing the resolve-cost of once Improvisation by 1 (to a minimum of 0).
- Solarians get extra revelations at 5th and 15th level, and possibly also at 9th level.
- the Psychic Power feat line now gives all the spells, and makes them at-will. Because none of those spells are broken if you can spam them (Augury costs Resolve). Alternatively, if that's too powerful, give extra options for every 3 character levels (for 0th-level), at 8th and 12th level (for 1st-level) and at 14th-level (for 2nd-level), somewhat reducing the intial power.

All of those would just eliminate most of the anti-fun I've found in Starfinder so far.

In case it seems like I'm really disappointed about Starfinder - yes, I am. There's just too many bad and possibly broken design choices, and often just too many things that prohibit creating a fun and varied character.
An Envoy with five or six difference choices on how to boost allies in combat? Fun! Having two or three such choices for most of your career? Much less so.
Empty levels on the Solarian? Who thought that was fun? MAD? Also not fun!
Paying way too much for a cool archetpye? Why?
Not being able to have an arsenal of weapons without a huge loss of power? Anti-fun!
And so on and so forth.
So I'm really disappointed, and I really rather anticipated this game.

Back