Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

Wait, go back. What about the space penguins? Why is this the first time I've heard of these adorable little guys?
They have been a thing since 2e:
forgottenrealms.fandom.com

Dohwar

The dohwar, sometimes called dowhar,[3][4] were a race of short, flightless avians. A merchant race, they considered themselves the great rivals of the Arcane, although the Arcane themselves barely acknowledged their existence.[2] Dohwar distantly resembled penguins, standing 3‒4 ft (0.91‒1.2 m)...

Last edited:
This could be Pathfinder, 3.5, and maybe others as well

One of those kind of curiosity items. . . . . In your games, how do you see wizards as looking towards sorcerers? Do they think they are "pure amateurs" or scoff at them in some other way? Do they feel superior to them?

One of those kind of curiosity items. . . . . In your games, how do you see wizards as looking towards sorcerers? Do they think they are "pure amateurs" or scoff at them in some other way? Do they feel superior to them?
Visceral terror. All of the power and more without the training and control.

My 5e Wizard's thoughts about them is heavily flavoured by the tens of thousand of GP she has in wizard higher education debt

My Wiz is WizSorc so the answer is "Why, talent and training are good in equal measure." :V

My Hobgoblin Wizard sees Sorcerers as dependent on where their power comes from. If it's a magical lineage from their family, clan, what have you, he approves of the practicality of collecting magic and the certainty of power in such a reliable way; if it's from anything else, be it planar sources or just pure randomness, he would consider them unlucky suckers who've been bound to something against their will for the rest of their existence.

My Half-Drow Sorcerer sees Wizards based on their utility. If they're powerful, like his father, then obviously they were clever enough to take advantage of their intelligence and skills to be worthy of respect. If they're not, well, that's what you get for being born without talent.

It's all about the individual. Classes create narratives that can justify almost any mindset for different characters: shared considerations should arise from cultures, not necessarily just how people use magic.

Consider also her reaction to Clerics or Warlocks, who go around begging higher (or lower) entities for power and just get it handed to them, free of charge.
Well we know that in FR's Netheril there was a great deal of contempt for clerics on the part of the "Arcanists", who, to be fair were superior to both Sorcerers and Wizards, since they learned spells like wizards but cast with an MP system.

Many of them went so far as to refuse to accept healing from clerics, as they felt that the Gods were just "better wizards" and that accepting their help put them in debt in such a way as to prevent them from reaching that level.

I mean, for warlocks, sure, but for the cleric or the (old) paladin it was simply Be Religious which isn't a particularly great cost.

I am not fighting to the death over this, I don't think it does, you think it does, we're at an impasse.

I mean, for warlocks, sure, but for the cleric or the (old) paladin it was simply Be Religious which isn't a particularly great cost.
When you actually have an immortal soul, devoting it to a single god is a pretty big deal, imo. Not as expensive, persay, as some kind of hellishly American Tuition Wizard School, but with almost every god in most DnD pantheons you are swearing yourself to literally eternal service.

Consider also her reaction to Clerics or Warlocks, who go around begging higher (or lower) entities for power and just get it handed to them, free of charge.
We both know she doesn't think much of Divinity either way :V

She's more fine with Clerics, who need to spend a life devoted in service for their business, although with Warlocks it depends on like, how exactly they've come by that deal.

I'll note that in the various D&D novels, the cleric spells literally don't work if the deity doesn't want them to. Like, that's one of the ways Drow clerics settle disputes, is by having both cast the same spell and letting the goddess decide which works.

This occasionally results in humorous situations. For example there was one time where both drow prayed for a standard "show of divine favor" spell.

This would generally result in, for example, summoning a bunch of normal spiders, or a minor prophecy like "danger waits ahead" or something.

Well, in this case the one priestess starts rejoicing because she feels her spell go off, in the most rare and powerful way it can: the creation of an Avatar.

But the person who became the Avatar was the other priestess. Hilarity ensues.

I mean, Lolth is noticeably interventionist, given that she's constructed all of drow society as a giant jar she can throw bugs (drow) into, then shake in order to watch them fight.

Has anyone done a D&D setting that leans into the mediaeval vibes and has organized religion be the main source of organized education, including wizard training?

Has anyone done a D&D setting that leans into the mediaeval vibes and has organized religion be the main source of organized education, including wizard training?

D&D magic (in the most common FR/Geyhawk forms), if widespread, kinda tends to make the setting stop being medieval except maybe aesthetically.

That said, I have heard of settings where magic is much more restricted and limited than the default that look much more like the actual Middle Ages.

Notably, a game set ostensibly in the actual Middle Ages where the only options for cleric were "Christian or Jewish" and you had to actually do all the rites and follow all the little religious laws and customs or you didn't get your piddly dole of magic because you hd offended God. (You could try to be a Magic User but that was very likely to end with you dead because Simony is a crime.)

It didn't sound like much fun to me (or much like it was as accurate as the DM seemed to believe), but well, you get all sorts.

This almost certainly isn't what you're looking for, but in Dragonlance setting Wizards and Wizardry are derived from power granted by the three Gods of Magic. When the gods leave for a while, including them, all wizards lose their power but Sorcerers start to spring up instead (and then when the gods come back, said three gods have Opinions on these upstart natural magic-wielders). Wizards as a whole are organized into three orders, each aligned with one of the Gods of Magic, under a greater umbrella organization they all owe allegiance to and that has the total monopoly on Wizard education.

Raise a glass for a legend. Jenell Jaquays, legendary trans game designer, passed away today at 67. Jenell was known to the D&D community for her work with Judges Guild on such adventures as Caverns of Thracia and the Dark Tower. Her name was used to coin the term "Jaquaying", a specific design philosophy for dungeon maps in D&D style games. Amongst the video game industry, she worked on Age of Empires, Quake 2 & 3, and Halo Wars. She is survived by her wife Rebecca Heineman.

Those of you who are able, please donate to a GoFundMe for Jenell's family to help cover her medical expenses.

Back