Dungeons and Dragons Megathread

I've been reading them. They're okay. It varies a bit from arc to arc.

My friend who's GMing Mummy's Mask listened to the audioplay version to get an idea of the plot, and he seemed to enjoy it. He's also played some snippets for us at appropriate points during the game to set the mood, and they sound pretty good.
Good. I always expect top quality from Big Finish, and I'm glad it sounds like they deliver on PF. Next time they do their 99p sale I'll probably grab those, since I've gotten all the Doctor Who they put in that sale whenever it goes up.

Okay, I put this off for way too long. I'm just now reading the Spheres of Power rules and jeeze. This is actually amazing.

Okay, I put this off for way too long. I'm just now reading the Spheres of Power rules and jeeze. This is actually amazing.
Haven't had a chance to look at it myself (and probably won't get to anytime soon between running the PF2 Playtest and having to learn the rules for Cyberpunk 2020 by next week), but @Chloe Sullivan speaks very highly of it.

If it provides an alternative to Vancian magic then I'm all for it.

DDS really captured the "good new ideas" that PF brought to the D&D 3 engine when they came up with the sphere/talent system.

Kinda building off the talent-based class structure ideas already done by SGG, IMO, but still, it's good work.

one of the nice design things PF introduced was "get a semi-unique class option you pick from a list every 2/3/4 levels" which was a real improvement over the scattershot "here a a bunch of often not well synergized class features" issues that a good many 3.5 classes suffered from. Not that PF didn't still have the problem, but the talent concept was a good step in the right direction.

setting up magic as a group of thematic spheres with talents letting you expand on the conceptual space of each sphere was a very nice way of doing a magic system. Also, making sure everything at least somewhat scaled with level was nice. That's something Psionics and Incarnum/Akasha did much better than Vancian, and Spheres is pretty solid about it.

Personally I actually favor Spheres of Might over SoPower, because melee needed the boost. The focus in attack actions over full attacks was a nice angle to work through, though the Devs outright state that you need the Vital Strike line if you want to keep up in DPS. But since the system is set up to allow good options other than DPS, that's fine by me.

Last edited:
Huh, Spheres of Power does seem super cool. I love the feeling of 'creating your own spells'.

5th Edition Thing:

Banishment is such an useful spell that I would recommend it to any caster capable of preparing it. Hydra bearing down on your team while you have to fight a giant half-ascended snake abomination? Banish it and hope you can get the other fight done in ten rounds.

5th Edition Thing:

Banishment is such an useful spell that I would recommend it to any caster capable of preparing it. Hydra bearing down on your team while you have to fight a giant half-ascended snake abomination? Banish it and hope you can get the other fight done in ten rounds.
Huh, that sounds like it's more an equivalent to Maze than to the 2/3e Dismissal type spells that banish extraplanar creatures back to their home plane.

How does it work?

I know Maze was quite popular in 2/3e for divide and conquer strategies like that because Maze put enemies into an extraplanar space for a while. I presume banishment also does the "pocket plane" containment?

Huh, that sounds like it's more an equivalent to Maze than to the 2/3e Dismissal type spells that banish extraplanar creatures back to their home plane.

How does it work?

I know Maze was quite popular in 2/3e for divide and conquer strategies like that because Maze put enemies into an extraplanar space for a while. I presume banishment also does the "pocket plane" containment?
"You attempt to send one creature that you can see within range to another plane of existence. The target must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be banished.

If the target is native to the plane of existence you're on, you banish the target to a harmless demiplane. While there, the target is incapacitated. The target remains there until the spell ends, at which point the target reappears in the space it left or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.

If the target is native to a different plane of existence than the one you're on, the target is banished with a faint popping noise, returning to its home plane. If the spell ends before 1 minute has passed, the target reappears in the space it left or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied. Otherwise, the target doesn't return.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 4th."

So yup, pocket plane.

"You attempt to send one creature that you can see within range to another plane of existence. The target must succeed on a Charisma saving throw or be banished.

If the target is native to the plane of existence you're on, you banish the target to a harmless demiplane. While there, the target is incapacitated. The target remains there until the spell ends, at which point the target reappears in the space it left or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.

If the target is native to a different plane of existence than the one you're on, the target is banished with a faint popping noise, returning to its home plane. If the spell ends before 1 minute has passed, the target reappears in the space it left or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied. Otherwise, the target doesn't return.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 4th."

So yup, pocket plane.
Oh, so it's thematically equivalent to 3e Dismissal, but with added functionality so it works on enemies who aren't extraplanar (and the duration rider basically means that you need to be at least X level to fully banish extraplanars back to their home plane, but they can still be inconvenienced like native planars if you're lower level).

I like that, it's elegant design.

DDS really captured the "good new ideas" that PF brought to the D&D 3 engine when they came up with the sphere/talent system.

Kinda building off the talent-based class structure ideas already done by SGG, IMO, but still, it's good work.

one of the nice design things PF introduced was "get a semi-unique class option you pick from a list every 2/3/4 levels" which was a real improvement over the scattershot "here a a bunch of often not well synergized class features" issues that a good many 3.5 classes suffered from. Not that PF didn't still have the problem, but the talent concept was a good step in the right direction.

setting up magic as a group of thematic spheres with talents letting you expand on the conceptual space of each sphere was a very nice way of doing a magic system. Also, making sure everything at least somewhat scaled with level was nice. That's something Psionics and Incarnum/Akasha did much better than Vancian, and Spheres is pretty solid about it.

Personally I actually favor Spheres of Might over SoPower, because melee needed the boost. The focus in attack actions over full attacks was a nice angle to work through, though the Devs outright state that you need the Vital Strike line if you want to keep up in DPS. But since the system is set up to allow good options other than DPS, that's fine by me.
So I just read the rules of sop, and it seems functionally identical to vancian casting. Am I missing something? Does the difference not become apparent until you read each sphere?

Oh, so it's thematically equivalent to 3e Dismissal, but with added functionality so it works on enemies who aren't extraplanar (and the duration rider basically means that you need to be at least X level to fully banish extraplanars back to their home plane, but they can still be inconvenienced like native planars if you're lower level).
No level rider. It's a Concentration rider - if you break concentration on Banishment during the ten rounds/1 minute while banishing an extraplanar, they pop back, otherwise gg, no re, they're gone to their home plane. 5ed doesn't do level-scaling durations for spells. Effect, yes, depending on spell, but durations tend to be static.

It's an excellent tool to seperate fights into digestible chunks if one of the combatants is a big beefy fight-stick with a low cha save.

Last edited:
So I just read the rules of sop, and it seems functionally identical to vancian casting. Am I missing something? Does the difference not become apparent until you read each sphere?

Spheres of Power Wiki Home Page - Spheres of Power Wiki

SoP does still use Caster Level, and in that regard mimic's Vancian, but honestly, most alt-magic systems have a Caster Level equivalent, and many have a spell level equivalent.

SoP is set up so each sphere gives you usually at least one at-will ability that usually requires maintaining concentration - so you can still do things even if the well is dry. Each sphere then usually has at least one ability you have to spend a "spell point" to activate, as well as the ability to make the at-will self-maintain for a short while by spending a spell point.

That's already pretty different from Vancian.

Usually each sphere has 2-5 base ability types it grants, with talents expanding the scope, power, or versatility of said base abilities (or in a few cases, adding access to a new base ability)

Vancian casting opens up higher level spell slots which you can fill with more potent, higher level, spells.

Sphere casting lets you invest talents to upgrade sphere abilities you already have.

Vancian lets you access a potentially much broader array of effects due to the bloat in printed spells as gamelines drag on, but Sphere ensures you always have access to base abilities - you don't need to reserve slots for them.

No level rider. It's a Concentration rider - if you break concentration on Banishment during the ten rounds/1 minute while banishing an extraplanar, they pop back, otherwise gg, no re, they're gone to their home plane.

Even Better.

And yeah, Maze served the exact same "split and defeat in detail" function in 2/3e, just with a bit more of a luck element.

5th Edition Thing:

There's nothing like being a sorcerer and having to choose between amazing spells like banishment (especially with twin) , greater invisibility and polymorph.

@Chloe Sullivan is there a character sheet you'd recommend for use with the Spheres systems? I don't think the default sheets really suffice.

It really isn't. Let's just take a very simple example: the ability to teleport.

Under vancian casting, it's a bunch of different spells, and learning one is completely unrelated to the other. You can learn and cast Teleport without knowing Dimension Door, or a swift-action short-range teleport, or any other teleportation-effect. It's just suddenly a whole new type of magic you can do once you hit 5th-level spell slots.

With Spheres, you'd learn the Warp sphere. This gives you a teleportation-effect right at level 1 if you like. Sure, it's only close range, only one creature, requires line of sight, and requires a standard action - but you can also do it whenever you want, all day long. And with a spell point, you can push it to medium range. And you can build on that!
With another talent, it's up to long range. With another, you can teleport multiple creatures. With another, you no longer need to touch the targets. With another, you no longer need line of sight. And you can also learn to teleport objects or unwilling creatures, or to use it offensively in other ways.

So that's right there is your first difference: With Spheres of Power, you can gradually build up proficiency in a concept, instead of it being all or nothing.
But the second difference is also important: You don't build a fixed spell out of those talents, and then only use that!

The Warp sphere is maybe not the best to demonstrate this, with it's limited amount of talents. Take a look at the Destruction sphere instead, and suppose I go with a thunder&lightning theme.
Sure, I can make a "chain lighting" effect by combining Chain Blast (Blast Shape) with the Electric Blast (Blast Type). But with the right talents, I can also instead shape that into a wall with Energy Wall, create a burst with Explosive Orb, surround myself with a deadly aura with Energy Aura, or many many more - in addition to just the standard ranged touch attack, of course.
But I can also spontaneously decide that I'd rather than having an easier time hitting enemies wearing metal armor, I'd rather do a bit less damage and have a chance to daze them and use the Shock Blast (Blast Type) instead. Or I can go with the Reverbating Blast (Blast Type) and apply a huge penalty to concentration, and do sonic damage. And if I have the Admixture talent, I can even apply two Blast types at once!

Suppose I end up spending eight talents on the Destruction-sphere (Admixture, Greater Blast, Chain Blast, Energy Nova, Energy Wall, Electric Blast, Shock Blast, Reverbating Blast) - a full caster would get 3 talents every 2 levels (and start out with a bunch), for comparison. A dedicated blaster would take Greater Blast once more per 5 caster levels. How many spells do I effectively wind up with? Not counting the different damage levels possible?
Destructive Blast, Electic Blast, Shock Blast, Reverbating Blast, Eletric/Shock Blast, Eletric/Reverbating Blast, Shock/Reverbating Blast - that'd be seven spells, and then the same again for every different shape, for a total of 28 different options at any given time. And adding more shapes or blast types is easy, it just takes a talent.
Now before that seems too intimidating - most of those will be for specific situations. No need to impede the concentration-checks of non-casters. No need to disarm a dragon. Switch damage types depending on enemy. Some of the admixture-combos are so good you'll always use them (because admixture is free within the same elemental group), some will be rarely or never used.

So Spheres of Power can be a lot more versatile than anything you get from Vancian casting. Trying to do anything like the above with a Vancian caster would be pretty challenging, and for some things outright impossible (sure you can maybe get a dazing electric wall, but one that disarms?)

Scales with spell level, yes, not character level. Geas does it too, I think, and a few others, but AFAIK nothing keys its duration off the caster's character level.
I'm pretty sure the only spells that scale off character level are cantrips and their scaling damage, though I haven't done a full read through of the spell list in years.

So a "Storm-caster" can get really nifty with Spheres of Power:
- grab the Destruction-sphere, with stuff like I mentioned above
- grab the Weather-sphere. Take Greater Weather to make it really windy and rainy to get a storm with thunderbolts, and then Storm Lord to get 4D8 (or more) lightning strikes that you can direct at no action cost.
- get a Casting Tradition with Easy Focus. Now you can maintain those weather-changes with a move-action (and remember, as long as you concentrate on them, they move with you)
- take the Atmospheric Imbuement feat, and now targets within your storm won't get spell resistance against your destructive blasts

All that can be had as early as 7th level, if you use a full-caster.
The Incanter would have 13 talents at that level (possibly more with the right tradition and favorite class bonus), so you can even get all the relevant weather-stuff, some nice destruction-stuff, and maybe even grab a couple other sphere-effects (hint: you can just take a base-sphere, grab drawbacks for it to get extra talents to customize it, and later pay off those drawbacks with talents - it's a good way to get more stuff early).

Class: Incanter (Reincarnated Master) 7
Race: Human
Ability Scores: Strength 10, Dexterity 16, Constitution 16, Intelligence 18, Charisma 8
Favored Class Bonus: +1 magical talent, +1 HP
Traits: ???
Feats: Atmospheric Imbuement, Sphere Focus (Destruction), Ritual Caster, Extra Magical Talent, Extra Magical Talent
Skills: 6 skill ranks per level, 42 total
Class Abilities: Admixture Adept, Mysterious Stranger, Resist Deaths Touch, Many Lives
Spell Pool: 12 points
Casting Tradition: Easy Focus, Magical Signs, Somatic Casting
Sphere Drawbacks:
Destruction Talents:
Admixture, Extended Range x2, Greater Blast x2, Chain Blast, Explosive Orb, Energy Nova, Electric Blast, Shock Blast, Shattering Blast
Weather Talents: Storm Lord x2, Greater Weather, Greater Size
The above is a very basic, not terribly optimized for PC-play build. Spend a standard action and spell point to set up a long-range storm, maintain it as a move-action. Get a lightning bolt that does 4D8 damage every round that you can direct at will. Also throw around various blasts that do 6D6 or 9D6 damage, with no spell resistance while you're inside the storm.
Oh and if the character dies, they reincarnate within a week. And they can cast various "rituals", which basically just means "spells".

This could be good to use as an enemy caster to chase down. Give them some minions, play with the weather effects they create, make sure the group shields against lightning damage so they only take the lesser sonic damage - all to stop the ritual, of course. Only to then find out their foe came back a week later.

Last edited:
So a "Storm-caster" can get really nifty with Spheres of Power:
- grab the Destruction-sphere, with stuff like I mentioned above
- grab the Weather-sphere. Take Greater Weather to make it really windy and rainy to get a storm with thunderbolts, and then Storm Lord to get 4D8 (or more) lightning strikes that you can direct at no action cost.
- get a Casting Tradition with Easy Focus. Now you can maintain those weather-changes with a move-action (and remember, as long as you concentrate on them, they move with you)
- take the Atmospheric Imbuement feat, and now targets within your storm won't get spell resistance against your destructive blasts

All that can be had as early as 7th level, if you use a full-caster.
The Incanter would have 13 talents at that level (possibly more with the right tradition and favorite class bonus), so you can even get all the relevant weather-stuff, some nice destruction-stuff, and maybe even grab a couple other sphere-effects (hint: you can just take a base-sphere, grab drawbacks for it to get extra talents to customize it, and later pay off those drawbacks with talents - it's a good way to get more stuff early).

The weather sphere looked really overpowered to me, actually. Boiling Lord means that you deal 1d6 fire damage per severity per round to everything in the area, and you need Severity 4 Heat and Precipitation. Greater Weather lets you make two weathers at once for a spell point.

So, for five talents (Boiling Lord, Rain Lord, Heat Lord, Greater Size, Greater Weather) you can set up an extended 400'+ perimeter of death with an 80' safe zone inside, and extremely little ability for most people to get to you to stop you, and you can do this at level 1 if you're an incanter human, for one spell point. (If you're talent-starved and have an umbrella yourself, you can sub in Severe Weather for the Rain and Heat Lord feats.) You're limited by the need for the weather to not be cold, but since most adventures adventure in temperate condtiion

Am I missing something here?

The weather sphere looked really overpowered to me, actually. Boiling Lord means that you deal 1d6 fire damage per severity per round to everything in the area, and you need Severity 4 Heat and Precipitation. Greater Weather lets you make two weathers at once for a spell point.

So, for five talents (Boiling Lord, Rain Lord, Heat Lord, Greater Size, Greater Weather) you can set up an extended 400'+ perimeter of death with an 80' safe zone inside, and extremely little ability for most people to get to you to stop you, and you can do this at level 1 if you're an incanter human, for one spell point. (If you're talent-starved and have an umbrella yourself, you can sub in Severe Weather for the Rain and Heat Lord feats.) You're limited by the need for the weather to not be cold, but since most adventures adventure in temperate condtiion

Am I missing something here?
Nope, you're right, that is a pretty strong combination. For six talents (one to get into the sphere, then the five you mention), technically at level one, you can get a really strong area-killing effect like that.
And yes, you're right, that's pretty broken. It's one of the very few talent combinations I'm unhappy with.

Well, you can also call the Weather-sphere pretty strong because it provides an effect that is otherwise pretty strong (manipulating the weather) for as little as one talent. It's a really really good dip for any spherecaster - at 7th level you never have to worry about severe weather while travelling! Then again, you still have to worry about extreme weather unless you invest more, and it feels right for a character at that level.

Nope, you're right, that is a pretty strong combination. For six talents (one to get into the sphere, then the five you mention), technically at level one, you can get a really strong area-killing effect like that.
And yes, you're right, that's pretty broken. It's one of the very few talent combinations I'm unhappy with.

Well, you can also call the Weather-sphere pretty strong because it provides an effect that is otherwise pretty strong (manipulating the weather) for as little as one talent. It's a really really good dip for any spherecaster - at 7th level you never have to worry about severe weather while travelling! Then again, you still have to worry about extreme weather unless you invest more, and it feels right for a character at that level.

OK, glad to know that I was reading it right. Well, I think it's easy enough to just put Boiling Rain and the other similar talents behind an Advanced Talent gate.

Really, the great part of Spheres of Power is that it almost does this for everything already. It makes so much sense to gate everything that will have permanent, accumulatable, or encounter-type-trivializing effects behind a unified set of special Talents; it makes it clear to the GM that the new effect is in play, and it ensures that the GM won't be blindsided by armies of skeletons or dominated minions because a caster or psion snuck in one spell among many.

The ability to do significant damage across a really large area should definitely be one of those powers.

There's nothing like being a sorcerer and having to choose between amazing spells like banishment (especially with twin) , greater invisibility and polymorph.

@Chloe Sullivan is there a character sheet you'd recommend for use with the Spheres systems? I don't think the default sheets really suffice.

I haven't used a character sheet in like a decade.

I either write everything out in BB code and post it or do my own on google spreadsheets.

The provided official charsheets honestly aren't even very good for spells, and there's painfully little support for anything other than spells and maybe psionics.

Magic if Incarnum had a dedicated incarnum sheet, but it was a fairly basic one.

Sorry.

Godsdamnit I really forgot how much better Spheres of Power is at representing basically any fictional spellcaster you can think of than vancian casting is.
Because most spellcasters do a couple of things you can catch really well with Spheres, and then maybe have a few odd effects you can't - and even the latter can be well-represented with Rituals!

Specifically, you can just have your character take the Ritual Caster feat - and now they can have any magical effect you desire, within the same scope as vancian spells, except they're rituals and thus take longer and are more complicated. Which, for the purpose of non-combat magic, works just fine!
And if you want it as an in-combat spell? Well, take Spell Dabbler, and you're set!
And Rituals are still all subject to GM-permission, and supposed to be mostly based on existing spells, so this won't even be game-breaking (especially not if you talk to your GM first, and tell them you want to take this to represent specific abilities for your character).

And I just got reminded of that by playing some Hearthstone, and pondering how you'd emulate Jaina in D&D, and of course it'd be way easier with Spheres despite her being very much an arcane caster.
She has some Destruction-talents, she has some Conjuration-talents for her signature water elemental companion, and Warp-talents for her teleportation. That's the core stuff - and then you expand on that. Nature for easy Watermancy and some nice synergies. War and Fate for leadership and enhancement. And Spells via the above method for her more exotic stuff, since you probably can't cram it all in otherwise.

Last edited:
Godsdamnit I really forgot how much better Spheres of Power is at representing basically any fictional spellcaster you can think of than vancian casting is.
Because most spellcasters do a couple of things you can catch really well with Spheres, and then maybe have a few odd effects you can't - and even the latter can be well-represented with Rituals!

Specifically, you can just have your character take the Ritual Caster feat - and now they can have any magical effect you desire, within the same scope as vancian spells, except they're rituals and thus take longer and are more complicated. Which, for the purpose of non-combat magic, works just fine!
And if you want it as an in-combat spell? Well, take Spell Dabbler, and you're set!
And Rituals are still all subject to GM-permission, and supposed to be mostly based on existing spells, so this won't even be game-breaking (especially not if you talk to your GM first, and tell them you want to take this to represent specific abilities for your character).

And I just got reminded of that by playing some Hearthstone, and pondering how you'd emulate Jaina in D&D, and of course it'd be way easier with Spheres despite her being very much an arcane caster.
She has some Destruction-talents, she has some Conjuration-talents for her signature water elemental companion, and Warp-talents for her teleportation. That's the core stuff - and then you expand on that. Nature for easy Watermancy and some nice synergies. War and Fate for leadership and enhancement. And Spells via the above method for her more exotic stuff, since you probably can't cram it all in otherwise.
The extreme breadth of Vamcian magic is designed to imitate the idea of the scholar mage. Think Merlin from the Sword and the Stone. He can do anything because he's been studying magic for so long that he "has a spell for that". However Vance realized that something like that needs some sort of a limitation and thus added the per day casting.

It shouldn't be used for something like the D&D sorcerer, because they AREN'T that archetype. It was meant for back when Wizard was the only arcane class, and even the divine classes were more scholarly and ritualistic. And even then they didn't give any two classes the same breakdown of spells per level to actually differentiate them. Rangers were 1-3, paladins 1-4, bard 1-6, clerics 1-7, wizards 1-9

Last edited:
Back