Politics Skills - 0
Importance - 2
Income - 1
Investments - Ohara

Resources
Power - 0
Wealth - 2

Designs
Type 1 Series - Military Variation (Designated T1M1)
Type 2 Racer (World Speed Record October 1910-April 1911, 180kph)
Model 2 Scout (Designated T1M2)
Navy Scout Prototype (Drowned Rat)
Dive Bomber B1M1 "Duck"
Machine Gun Carrier R1A "Dragonfly" (World Speed Record May-July 1911, 200kph)
Naval Rescue Water-Landing Supply Plane NR1M0 "Dolphin" (World speed record 240kph)
Rhino Demon Train Hunter
The world's first airliner
The world's first pulsejet airplane

Assets
Slide Rule
Computator (1 Reroll per Routine)

Languages
Albian
Gallian

Familiar Vices
Drinking
Prostitutes
Dancing

Family Life
- Engaged to Arita Yachi, formerly the leading Ace in the Imperial Army. Designated #1 Cutest Army Boy, he's having some serious problems with PTSD right now.
- Taking a second try at dating Mikami Kiho, ex-dockerwork from the south.

Upgrades
- 3 XP to upgrade a stat.

Ohara Airworks
Start Up, Imperial Capital, Akitsukuni

Owner
- Mr. Ohara, Rich. Aircraft Enthusiast. Business guy.

Engineers

Kibe Koume, 26, Office Manager
Tiny & angry, Kibe went to school in Albia, picking up the language, the religion, and a fuckload of swear words. Speaks Albian.
Mechanical +2, Ballistics +1
Office Manager: If Kibe is not assigned to a team, the Office Stress is reduced by 1.

Sakane Jun, 26, Second Team Leader
A soured patriot, Sakane is married and has a young child being raised gender-neutrally. His two brothers who fought in the war.
Structural +2, Aerodynamics +1
Team Leader: If there are any additional projects, Sakane will lead them.
Joinery: Sakane has training in the traditional Akitsukuni carpentry art of joinery, creating complex self-supporting joints with no fasteners or glue. When working with non-monocoque wooden spars or ribs, +1 Structural.

Tezuka Kenji, ???
A stoner with occasional flashes of insight. Nobody really knows what he does, but he's probably useful?
Aerodynamics +2, Chemical +1
Flashes of Brilliance: Each natural 10 rolled by any team Tezuka is assigned to gives +1 forward to the next research roll.

Hasegawa Morio, 26
A hopeless nerd with a photography habit, mostly on account of developing his own film, Hasegawa seems to do nothing but work and stack card houses, but somehow has an incredible attractive boyfriend. Speaks Gallian.
Chemical +2, Ballistic +1
Silent Workhorse: Hasegawa can work on two different projects at once for no cost to Office Stress, providing they use different stats.

Kawamura Yosai, 25.
Serially successful womanizer and incredibly attractive, Kawamura doesn't seem to have much of a personality outside of seducing women. Well, except for that time he seduced Asuka, which nobody talks about. Speaks Dyske.
Structural +2, Electrical +1, Social +1
Easily Distracted: If Kawamura is working on the same team as a female or non-binary employee, the team is at -1d10.

Koide Hatsu, 24.
One of the few female graduates of an Akitsukuni engineering school, Koide is brilliant and incredibly driven, but her first job at Akibara was both humiliating and exposed her to an abusive coworker. Her father is a rich businessman with factories in Joseon, and she's engaged to Ken from Castles of Steel. Speaks Joseon.
Mechanical +2, Structural +1
No Sleep: If you let her, Koide will work herself to death. She can work a second project for no Office Stress, but all her stats will be reduced to 1 for the routine.

Kobayashi Ayao, ???
Disowned heiress of the Kobayashi family, all Kobayashi wanted was a career and to be a modern woman. For her trouble, a cousin threw acid on her, scarring her face, neck, much of her torso, and her left arm. Despite appearing serene and above it all, she's actually an avowed communist activist and baseball player.
Aerodynamics +2, Social +2

Adachi Ren, 24
Adachi learned chemistry from her father, one of the most famous chemical engineers in the country, rather than through formal schooling. She's married, has a kid, and takes spirituality very seriously. Yes, you did the math right, she had Yuki when she was 17. It's 1912, folks.
Chemical +2, Electrical +1
Young Mother: Adachi will cause double Office Stress if she has to work multiple tasks.

Uyeno Sei, Ballistics Engineer, 31.
The oldest member of the crew, this is Uyeno's second career. Her first was as an officer in the Imperial Navy with specialized technical training: her very promising career was cut short by her transition. Her work in a naval arsenal on machine-guns landed her the job here. Briefly dated Satomi (the age range is a bit creepy but again, 1912), she's missing a piece of her ear and is deaf on that side, from an exploding cannon. Recently returned from Varnmark from experimental surgery, she's known for her skill navigating gendered bureaucracy.
Ballistic +3

Mi Kyung-Jae, 23
A recent graduate of the Imperial College of Heijo, Mi is from the recently annexed territory of Joseon. For those keeping track at home, that means he's a Korean national living in Imperial Japan in 1912. We haven't seen much of his personality because he's rightfully terrified of everything around him. He has a specialty in endurance engine design and modification. Speaks Joseon.
Mechanical +1, Chemical +1
Endurance Engines: Mi has an excellent understanding of metallurgy and tolerances. Any engine he works on gains +1 Reliability if a 16+ is rolled.
Pulsejet Wizard: Mi is now one of the world's leading experts on the pulsejet engine. He can be given his own project to custom-craft pulsejet engines, and he gives +1 to any pulsejet-related project.
Joseon National: Mi does not have security clearance to work on any top-secret projects.

Miyoshi Shigeri, 23.
A non-binary person and admirer of Asuka's work, they were in an support role in the Army before joining the company.
Structural +1, Mechanical +1, Aerodynamic +1
Mechanic: Miyoshi has some experience repairing and refurbishing aircraft. They get +1 if assigned on the clean-up phase.

Other Employees
- Ohara Satomi, 22, Mr. Ohara's niece and the company test pilot, Ohara is a general lesbian disaster. She's good at flying planes, driving cars, and kissing girls. She's bad at being patient, being respectable, and sticking to literally anyones conceptions of gender roles. Deeply in lesbians with Coralie D'Amboise.
- Fujkikawa Sotatsu, old, modelmaker. He's an old man and toymaker and we don't see much of him because he locks himself in his workshop a lot. He's friends with Kawamura?

Assets
- Engine Test Rig (Allows engine tweaking and optimization.
- Wind Tunnel (+1 Aerodynamics)
- Rapid Prototype Lab (+1 Clean Up)
Expanded Cast

Akitsukuni Industry
- Homura Mohoko: Head Engine Designer for Kobayashi. First female engineer in the country. A lot of sex appeal.
- Okumura: Head of Akibara aircraft design.
- Yamanaka Hajime: Kobayashi engineer. Young and eager.
- Igarashi Masazumi: Kobayashi engineer. Reserved and experienced.
- Admiral Akibara Toru: Imperial Navy Admiral. Maximum nepotism. Maximum douchebag.
- Lt.Cmnd Akibara Shinzo: The above's son. A hottie but very forward.

Character Families
- Matsura(?) Mizuko: Asuka's sister. Was paralyzed in an accident in Asuka's first flight. Lives Elsewhere and is married now. Can't forgive Asuka, even though she's tried.
- Adachi Motoki: Adachi's husband, an accountant. Legally blind.
- Adachi Yuki: Adachi's 7 year old daughter and wannabe pilot. Very adorable.
- Yachi's Brother: Exists.
- Sakane's Wife: Exists. Drives him a bit crazy, but he loves her.
- Yachi's Brother's Wife: Exists. Is statistically likely to be pregnant.
- Lt. Coralie D'Amboise: Gallian pilot in exile. Satomi's girlfriend. 25. Accomplished bisexual duelist. She flew in the war for a single day, and for her troubles got a hole blown in her cheek and had her left arm paralyzed.

Akisukuni Army & Ex-Army
- Lt. Torio Tanaka: Yachi's former observer as an enlisted man. Was jumped up to fly Ducks and lost a leg on his first mission. A trained painter, married to Torio Saya.
- Captain Amari Shiro: A Dragonfly pilot who ended up flying as Yachi's partner. Kind of delightfully twinky. They sorta slept together at one point, which wasn't great. He lost his previous boyfriend in the April Offensive and turned his plane into a shrine. He was shot in the gut and is still recovering.
- Major Izuhara: Logistics officer, Imperial Army, this bespectled officer stood up to the Caspian Crown Prince and accidentally kicked off the Akitsikuni-Caspian War. The guilt was so much that, after almost a year of running Army procurement, he shot himself in a phone both.
- Captain Nakai Sekien: Army scout pilot. First person to drop a bomb from an airplane, later head of the Duck Squadrons.
- Captain Teshima: A Desk pilot that fought with Yachi. Lost an arm in the process, took over for Major Izuhara after his death. Seems cheery despite it all.
- Captain Nashio: A real piece of shit dude and probably a rapist, he's also a war hero as the second-highest scoring ace on the Akitsukuni side. He was a young shitty kid in way over his head but it's no excuse.
- Lt. Kinjo: Kind of a dumb lump and Nashio's friend, one of the desk pilots. Dead at 19.
- Lt. Okazaki: Yachi's friend from before the war and pilot, he died in a spin in his dragonfly. His death probably hit Yachi the hardest.

Westerners
- Rose & Antoinette Sears: Pioneers of flight. Sisters. Black in 1910s not!America. Yikes.
- Timina Guasti: Famous aircraft designer from Otrusia. Likes big planes and green.
- Prince Protasov Vasilyevich: Crown Prince of Great Caspia. Real dick. You gotta hand it to him though, a decent flier.
- Count von Zeppelin: Invented rigid airships. Runs a successful airline business. Damned impressive.
- Bennhold: Aircraft Engineer. Experimenting with metal aircraft.
- Aileen Middlemiss: Albian reporter for the Artimis Times. Well meaning and oblivious.
Available Tech
  • Materials: Wood, Duralumin, Molded Wood, Wood & Silk Composite, etc
  • All engine mounts
  • All wing types
  • Basic reinforcement
  • Wing warping and ailerons
  • Basic water radiators
  • Flying Wings
  • Semi-Monocoque design (requires at least half the slots have frame pieces)
  • Valved pulsejets
  • Basic weapon mounts and turrets
Tech not Yet Developed
  • Custom engines
  • Monocoque construction
  • Cantilever Wings and associated tech
  • V and T tails
  • Tailless designs
  • Aluminum and titanium
  • Cellulose surfacing
  • Any kind of radar
  • Weapon accessability mods
  • Interruptor gear
  • Geared propellers
  • And Maybe Other Stuff
Akitsukuni
Island Nation

Government
Constitutional Monarchy
- The democratic portions of the government are dubiously legitimate.
- The head of state is the Empress of Akitsukuni. She gives her blessing to newly formed governments.
- The Navy and a small number of families have undue influence on politics.

Economy
Developing Mixed Market
- Most industry is controlled by a small number of wealthy, family-owned companies.
- The state provides most contracts to industry. Consumer good market is anemic.
- Exports are few, mostly cultural.
- Imports are raw minerals, food, oil, and expertise.
- Currently suffering an economic crash after the last war.

Politics
The Diet is currently ruled by a Constitutional Nationalist government. It has a system of nonlocal proportional representation, with representatives appointed by the party in accordance to their share of the vote.
- Constitutional Nationalists: 50%
- Purity Club: 9%
- New Independents: 26%
- Fairness Association: 11%
- United Communist League: 2%
- Monarchists: 1%
- Assorted Fringe Parties: 5%

Demographics
Akitsukuni is mostly very ethnically homogeneous. Around 5% of the population are various minorities, most from nearby countries. Roughly .1% are westerners here for business or in advisory positions.
- Population: 55 Million
- Religion: Mostly Kodo. Roughly 2% of the population follows western religions.
- Wealth: Most wealth is concentrated in the top 5% of the country. Nearly 20% of the population lives in conditions indistinguishable from peasantry.
- Urbanization: Heavily urbanized for a small economy: 35% and rapidly growing.

Military
At Peace
- Imperial Akitsukuni Navy (IAN): The 6th largest in the world, and the most experienced.
- Imperial Akitsukuni Army (IAA): 150,000 highly experienced soldiers, and a considerable reserve.

Aspects
- Poor Resources: Aluminum costs +1.
- Damn Akitsukuni Engines!: Engines have -1 Reliability.

The Main Character Of This Quest Is Nonbinary And Uses They/Them Pronouns.

I Am Putting This Here Because The Next Person To Misgender Them Is Getting Yeeted Into The Trash

Also here's the Gayaverse TV Tropes page, because why not.

Last edited:
Well since Frangible threw d6s, I guess I'll roll for Mass Reduction.

Edit: .....I should have just left it, shouldn't I?
frozenchicken threw 2 10-faced dice. Reason: Mass Reduction Total: 4
1 1 3 3

Last edited:
Yeah, if I were to take a stress roll on any of them it'd be Stability. Streamlining is a gimme and I'd like to roll the free Lightening for pure character reasons even though it has no mechanical effect at all. I can't imagine Asuka not putting their mind to ways to reduce the weight of a light glider.

Pre-edit: Actually I could just move the wing to the shoulder mount and get +2 Stability for free, so if people vote for stability improvement we'll simply do that.

[ ] Move the wing to a shoulder mount for +2 Stability

This is a glider and a trainer. Positive stability is very much desired. Yes, we'll lose a little control, but from what I gather the design has plenty and we don't urgently need as much of it as possible.

Last edited:
[X] Move the wing to a shoulder mount for +2 Stability

This is a glider and a trainer. Positive stability is very much desired. Yes, we'll lose a little control, but from what I gather the design has plenty and we don't urgently need as much of it as possible.
Yeah, I screwed up here, doing that would result in +4 Stability because of the doubling effect and add +1 Flight Stress to the design with -2 Control. It's still possible but it's not the minor free modification I thought it was.

(Also I've realised I could have done a shoulder mounted wing and Flying Rudder for a free +3 Control and no Stability change. C'est la vie.)

Yeah, I screwed up here, doing that would result in +4 Stability because of the doubling effect and add +1 Flight Stress to the design with -2 Control. It's still possible but it's not the minor free modification I thought it was.

(Also I've realised I could have done a shoulder mounted wing and Flying Rudder for a free +3 Control and no Stability change. C'est la vie.)

Any possible simple modifications to dump some Stability again to get to 3 or under?

When the simplest answer to "make it better" is "friggin' time travel", the current version is quite likely to be good enough :p
I mean, I'd be happy to shift the wing mount from mid to high because that's a pretty minor change on the size of aircraft we're working with here. 3 Stability is achievable by putting on some wing anhedral, one extra lift bleed shouldn't be too much of an issue, but that's another change. Then if I was going back in I'd probably actually look at fitting a flying rudder or elevator and then getting some extra stability from wing dihedral instead and perhaps look into wing warping because it would provide better handling too and... yeah. Now I've built another plane.

Better not to touch it. It isn't perfect, but Asuka has done it in their spare time as a doodle while at 50% stress and thinking about a few other things. It's fine.

10-9: Limitations of Language
"A fancy party, huh?"

You and Yachi had started a new ritual which you greatly appreciated, crawling into bed early, setting up a lamp nearby, and reading, drawing, and writing together for an hour. It was a good way to wind down at the end of the day, and an excellent excuse to spend time pressed up against him, even if that part sometimes got in the way of the reading, drawing, and writing.

"Yeah, with your old commanding officer, too. Mr. Ohara's pulling some strings."

"So, am I coming with you?" He asked. You shrugged.

"I dunno. I'm not sure." On guilty impulse, you leaned over a little, but with his height advantage and broad shoulders you couldn't quite reach him to kiss him. Fortunately, he leaned in the rest of the way. "This isn't a for fun thing, you know? I'm trying to get some political clout, for the company." And for the future.

"Right, and it might be counterproductive to bring your future husband."

You frowned, your pencil tracing out characters as you thought about it for the thousandth time. There was 夫 like for a husband to a wife, there was 同士 like a husband to a husband, and neither of those were right. Yachi had taken to using the two of them interchangeably in private, and he'd tried a couple of awkward sentence constructions in public, but he'd given up.

It was incredibly frustrating, fumbling with language. You'd always kind of hoped that once Yachi was back the two of you could work it out easily, but it hadn't materialized. You'd been exasperated when you were first learning Gallian that every single fucking word was gendered and conjugating sentences was thus completely nightmarish, and at the time you'd insisted loudly that this was why Akitsukuni was obviously the superior language, but the universe seemed determined to make you eat your words in the most painful and personal way possible. The problem here was overspecificity: there were four words for marriage, five words for various kinds of partners (and assorted slang), and a cloud of related words, and all of them were specific.

All of them were gendered.

When Yachi had asked you to marry him, he'd done so the way a man might ask another man, (sword-exchange) but he'd used union since the way enbies used, which you appreciated, even if it wasn't terribly fair to him. Eventually, you'd just stopped talking about it, because the words were just not available and it made every discussion you wanted to have about it feel like an argument even if you weren't disagreeing with one another. The result was that the ceremony, whatever it was, seemed less real now with him here than it had when he'd first asked you, when it was still clumsy and raw, and you didn't know what to do about that.

You'd asked Coralie what she'd done, how she'd described her wedding in her letters home (your pencil traced out the characters silk, tying, ceremony as you recalled it) and she said she'd just wrote mariage, because it was all the same to her. There was an elegance to that you envied, and your hand traced out the Tiberian script as you wrote the word in all the Western languages you'd looked it up in. Wedding, hochzeit, nozze...

"Something on your mind, Asuka?"

"It's pretty obvious." You replied.

"I thought so too, but what do all those mean?" He said, pointing out the western script. You shrugged.

"More of the same."

You sat glumly for a while, tracing your pencil randomly as if trying to expel the thoughts from it. You ended up doing a little doodle of a dragonfly (the bug, not the plane) that you quite liked. You'd had this conversation so many times, there wasn't a point in doing it again.

Finally, you could bear the silence no longer, so you leaned over and glanced at Yachi's papers. He was getting better, but the writing was still nearly illegible. Worse than his earliest letters from the front, writing in the cold with a cheap pen and ink you wouldn't use for a stamp. But there was a story forming there.

Yachi had taken the conversation the two of you had to heart and had started writing a story about a pilot. Rakuyama Iesada was the working name for his main character (named after a shop owner Yachi had known in his youth) and so far he was pretty much the mold of a classic Akitsukuni hero: Of noble birth, but the sort of down of their luck nobility that could be endearing to everyone, Rakuyama was cis male, bisexual, and humble and confident in equal measure. Idealized, in other words. The world could do with some idealized heroes these days.

Yachi had gone back and forth on if he wanted to write authentic stories of the Joseon front or something more fantastical, and this take was more authentic and based in personal experience. Rakuyama was part of the fictional Squadron n.4 of the Air Artillery at the outset of the war, flying alongside an equally fictional cast in a very real war. Of course, in real life there had been just two squadrons until the first T1M2s had reached the front in late January, and the squadrons had wisely skipped 4 and the associated ill fortune. Yachi had explained his idea that, if he could, he'd have Rakuyama and his squadron experience every unusual and unlikely thing that had happened to the Air Artillery and Army Air Wing as a whole, writing it out in a serial format. He even had a magazine in mind: Young Cadet, a publication aimed at teenage boys.

The story on the current page was one you recognized from your letters: Rakuyama and his observer Takahashi Sota were flying their T1M1 and harassing a balloon with a flare gun. Yachi had mentioned his squadron doing the same, a year ago! This version was much more exciting, though: they'd been doing it to the Caspians for three days, and instead of a rifle the Caspians had a machine-gun, which Rakuyama just noticed as he closed for another pass...

"What happens next?" You asked.

"I... I dunno." Yachi said. "There's not... he's coming straight in, because he doesn't know any better, and they have a gun in a braced position. They'd have to be incompetent to miss, and the Caspians were great gunners. Better than us. We were still flying really carefully in the T1M1s there, because we didn't know how to recover from spins yet... so... he probably flies into the gun."

"Yachi..."

"He should probably die." Yachi said. He sounded almost flippant about it.

"But he won't. He's the main character." You said, a little insistently.

"Right. So... so one of his friends shoots a flare just in time, and Rakuyama realized how close that was, and he starts flying more cautious."

"And that instinct is gonna be what keeps him alive for the rest of the stories." You said. "Until he gets home to Risa." Rakuyama had a girl back home, of course. One of Yachi's ideas was to phrase the story like letters to her, but he'd cut that idea because he didn't want to cast his young readers in the role of a girl. They probably wouldn't like that.

"Yeah." He pushed the papers aside. "I think I need to write another draft tomorrow."

"I'd love to read it."

---

[ ] Yachi comes with you to the party.
[ ] You go alone.

Yachi's presence will be a double-edged sword.

(I did some research on the kanji and eventually made an executive decision that probably won't hold up for an actual Japanese reader, but really doesn't have to. As I mentioned early, I usually don't go into this sort of stuff rather deliberately, but the specific limitation of language here is a fantasy element to Akitsukuni so I didn't feel too bad doing it. I wanted to illustrate properly some of the difficulties at even just the conceptual level that Asuka and Yachi are having here.)

Last edited:
Yachi had explained his idea that, if he could, he'd have Rakuyama and his squadron experience every unusual and unlikely thing that had happened to the Air Artillery and Army Air Wing as a whole, writing it out in a serial format. He even had a magazine in mind: Young Cadet, a publication aimed at teenage boys.
Even the thing with the goats? :V

[X] You go alone.

Because Yachi isn't sure if he should go.

The story on the current page was one you recognized from your letters: Rakuyama and his observer Takahashi Sota were flying their T1M1 and harassing a balloon with a flare gun. Yachi had mentioned his squadron doing the same, a year ago! This version was much more exciting, though: they'd been doing it to the Caspians for three days, and instead of a rifle the Caspians had a machine-gun, which Rakuyama just noticed as he closed for another pass...

"What happens next?" You asked.

"I... I dunno." Yachi said. "There's not... he's coming straight in, because he doesn't know any better, and they have a gun in a braced position. They'd have to be incompetent to miss, and the Caspians were great gunners. Better than us. We were still flying really carefully in the T1M1s there, because we didn't know how to recover from spins yet... so... he probably flies into the gun."

"Yachi..."

"He should probably die." Yachi said. He sounded almost flippant about it.

"But he won't. He's the main character." You said, a little insistently.

"Right. So... so one of his friends shoots a flare just in time, and Rakuyama realized how close that was, and he starts flying more cautious."

"And that instinct is gonna be what keeps him alive for the rest of the stories." You said. "Until he gets home to Risa." Rakuyama had a girl back home, of course. One of Yachi's ideas was to phrase the story like letters to her, but he'd cut that idea because he didn't want to cast his young readers in the role of a girl. They probably wouldn't like that.
I really wish I could pick Yachi's brains for my own writing, or just talk to the guy in general. I'm five minutes from the Air Force Museum, there's no better conversation starter for a pilot than a place like that. But given Asuka is walking Yachi through the concept of how to selectively play reality without being dishonest, I doubt Metal Gear would go over well with the prospective writer.

Yachi would think I was crazy.:V

I really wish I could pick Yachi's brains for my own writing, or just talk to the guy in general. I'm five minutes from the Air Force Museum, there's no better conversation starter for a pilot than a place like that. But given Asuka is walking Yachi through the concept of how to selectively play reality without being dishonest, I doubt Metal Gear would go over well with the prospective writer.

Yachi would think I was crazy.:V
Yachi is struggling at the intersection of depressive nihilism and pathological honesty and it's making things kinda hard on him. and it's based rather directly on something i nearly did.

realtalk: i laid out a loose outline for secrets from the abyss, before scrapping it, and the plan was for wulf to be captured by clockworks and for the story direction to be rescuing her. and then no matter what the players did, she would commit suicide at the end of the book.

this wasn't something i was writing because i thought it was a good story. it was something i wanted to write because it was emotionally honest to the worldview that depression and trauma can leave you in. the hardest thing can be to recognize that you are coming from this place detached from reality and healthy emotional reasoning because in the moment it feels intellectually and emotionally dishonest. it feels like you're lying.

it also coincided with an emotional low point in my real life, and i soon realized it was effectively a projected form of suicidal ideation. i nearly hospitalized myself twice in the last month, and tomorrow morning i start my new anti-anxiety medication.

(that's why updates have been slow, by the way. sorry)

yachi becoming a writer fits very well with his established character but it's also a very good way to write what i know, because holy shit have i been using writing as an emotional outlet to process stuff.

Adhoc vote count started by open_sketch on Jul 6, 2019 at 9:10 PM, finished with 16170 posts and 18 votes.

Last edited:
[X] Yachi comes with you to the party

Leaving him at home says "you are not REALLY a part of my life". Nah.

Back