Politics Skills - 0
Importance - 2
Income - 1
Investments - Ohara

Resources
Power - 0
Wealth - 2

Designs
Type 1 Series - Military Variation (Designated T1M1)
Type 2 Racer (World Speed Record October 1910-April 1911, 180kph)
Model 2 Scout (Designated T1M2)
Navy Scout Prototype (Drowned Rat)
Dive Bomber B1M1 "Duck"
Machine Gun Carrier R1A "Dragonfly" (World Speed Record May-July 1911, 200kph)
Naval Rescue Water-Landing Supply Plane NR1M0 "Dolphin" (World speed record 240kph)
Rhino Demon Train Hunter
The world's first airliner
The world's first pulsejet airplane

Assets
Slide Rule
Computator (1 Reroll per Routine)

Languages
Albian
Gallian

Familiar Vices
Drinking
Prostitutes
Dancing

Family Life
- Engaged to Arita Yachi, formerly the leading Ace in the Imperial Army. Designated #1 Cutest Army Boy, he's having some serious problems with PTSD right now.
- Taking a second try at dating Mikami Kiho, ex-dockerwork from the south.

Upgrades
- 3 XP to upgrade a stat.

Ohara Airworks
Start Up, Imperial Capital, Akitsukuni

Owner
- Mr. Ohara, Rich. Aircraft Enthusiast. Business guy.

Engineers

Kibe Koume, 26, Office Manager
Tiny & angry, Kibe went to school in Albia, picking up the language, the religion, and a fuckload of swear words. Speaks Albian.
Mechanical +2, Ballistics +1
Office Manager: If Kibe is not assigned to a team, the Office Stress is reduced by 1.

Sakane Jun, 26, Second Team Leader
A soured patriot, Sakane is married and has a young child being raised gender-neutrally. His two brothers who fought in the war.
Structural +2, Aerodynamics +1
Team Leader: If there are any additional projects, Sakane will lead them.
Joinery: Sakane has training in the traditional Akitsukuni carpentry art of joinery, creating complex self-supporting joints with no fasteners or glue. When working with non-monocoque wooden spars or ribs, +1 Structural.

Tezuka Kenji, ???
A stoner with occasional flashes of insight. Nobody really knows what he does, but he's probably useful?
Aerodynamics +2, Chemical +1
Flashes of Brilliance: Each natural 10 rolled by any team Tezuka is assigned to gives +1 forward to the next research roll.

Hasegawa Morio, 26
A hopeless nerd with a photography habit, mostly on account of developing his own film, Hasegawa seems to do nothing but work and stack card houses, but somehow has an incredible attractive boyfriend. Speaks Gallian.
Chemical +2, Ballistic +1
Silent Workhorse: Hasegawa can work on two different projects at once for no cost to Office Stress, providing they use different stats.

Kawamura Yosai, 25.
Serially successful womanizer and incredibly attractive, Kawamura doesn't seem to have much of a personality outside of seducing women. Well, except for that time he seduced Asuka, which nobody talks about. Speaks Dyske.
Structural +2, Electrical +1, Social +1
Easily Distracted: If Kawamura is working on the same team as a female or non-binary employee, the team is at -1d10.

Koide Hatsu, 24.
One of the few female graduates of an Akitsukuni engineering school, Koide is brilliant and incredibly driven, but her first job at Akibara was both humiliating and exposed her to an abusive coworker. Her father is a rich businessman with factories in Joseon, and she's engaged to Ken from Castles of Steel. Speaks Joseon.
Mechanical +2, Structural +1
No Sleep: If you let her, Koide will work herself to death. She can work a second project for no Office Stress, but all her stats will be reduced to 1 for the routine.

Kobayashi Ayao, ???
Disowned heiress of the Kobayashi family, all Kobayashi wanted was a career and to be a modern woman. For her trouble, a cousin threw acid on her, scarring her face, neck, much of her torso, and her left arm. Despite appearing serene and above it all, she's actually an avowed communist activist and baseball player.
Aerodynamics +2, Social +2

Adachi Ren, 24
Adachi learned chemistry from her father, one of the most famous chemical engineers in the country, rather than through formal schooling. She's married, has a kid, and takes spirituality very seriously. Yes, you did the math right, she had Yuki when she was 17. It's 1912, folks.
Chemical +2, Electrical +1
Young Mother: Adachi will cause double Office Stress if she has to work multiple tasks.

Uyeno Sei, Ballistics Engineer, 31.
The oldest member of the crew, this is Uyeno's second career. Her first was as an officer in the Imperial Navy with specialized technical training: her very promising career was cut short by her transition. Her work in a naval arsenal on machine-guns landed her the job here. Briefly dated Satomi (the age range is a bit creepy but again, 1912), she's missing a piece of her ear and is deaf on that side, from an exploding cannon. Recently returned from Varnmark from experimental surgery, she's known for her skill navigating gendered bureaucracy.
Ballistic +3

Mi Kyung-Jae, 23
A recent graduate of the Imperial College of Heijo, Mi is from the recently annexed territory of Joseon. For those keeping track at home, that means he's a Korean national living in Imperial Japan in 1912. We haven't seen much of his personality because he's rightfully terrified of everything around him. He has a specialty in endurance engine design and modification. Speaks Joseon.
Mechanical +1, Chemical +1
Endurance Engines: Mi has an excellent understanding of metallurgy and tolerances. Any engine he works on gains +1 Reliability if a 16+ is rolled.
Pulsejet Wizard: Mi is now one of the world's leading experts on the pulsejet engine. He can be given his own project to custom-craft pulsejet engines, and he gives +1 to any pulsejet-related project.
Joseon National: Mi does not have security clearance to work on any top-secret projects.

Miyoshi Shigeri, 23.
A non-binary person and admirer of Asuka's work, they were in an support role in the Army before joining the company.
Structural +1, Mechanical +1, Aerodynamic +1
Mechanic: Miyoshi has some experience repairing and refurbishing aircraft. They get +1 if assigned on the clean-up phase.

Other Employees
- Ohara Satomi, 22, Mr. Ohara's niece and the company test pilot, Ohara is a general lesbian disaster. She's good at flying planes, driving cars, and kissing girls. She's bad at being patient, being respectable, and sticking to literally anyones conceptions of gender roles. Deeply in lesbians with Coralie D'Amboise.
- Fujkikawa Sotatsu, old, modelmaker. He's an old man and toymaker and we don't see much of him because he locks himself in his workshop a lot. He's friends with Kawamura?

Assets
- Engine Test Rig (Allows engine tweaking and optimization.
- Wind Tunnel (+1 Aerodynamics)
- Rapid Prototype Lab (+1 Clean Up)
Expanded Cast

Akitsukuni Industry
- Homura Mohoko: Head Engine Designer for Kobayashi. First female engineer in the country. A lot of sex appeal.
- Okumura: Head of Akibara aircraft design.
- Yamanaka Hajime: Kobayashi engineer. Young and eager.
- Igarashi Masazumi: Kobayashi engineer. Reserved and experienced.
- Admiral Akibara Toru: Imperial Navy Admiral. Maximum nepotism. Maximum douchebag.
- Lt.Cmnd Akibara Shinzo: The above's son. A hottie but very forward.

Character Families
- Matsura(?) Mizuko: Asuka's sister. Was paralyzed in an accident in Asuka's first flight. Lives Elsewhere and is married now. Can't forgive Asuka, even though she's tried.
- Adachi Motoki: Adachi's husband, an accountant. Legally blind.
- Adachi Yuki: Adachi's 7 year old daughter and wannabe pilot. Very adorable.
- Yachi's Brother: Exists.
- Sakane's Wife: Exists. Drives him a bit crazy, but he loves her.
- Yachi's Brother's Wife: Exists. Is statistically likely to be pregnant.
- Lt. Coralie D'Amboise: Gallian pilot in exile. Satomi's girlfriend. 25. Accomplished bisexual duelist. She flew in the war for a single day, and for her troubles got a hole blown in her cheek and had her left arm paralyzed.

Akisukuni Army & Ex-Army
- Lt. Torio Tanaka: Yachi's former observer as an enlisted man. Was jumped up to fly Ducks and lost a leg on his first mission. A trained painter, married to Torio Saya.
- Captain Amari Shiro: A Dragonfly pilot who ended up flying as Yachi's partner. Kind of delightfully twinky. They sorta slept together at one point, which wasn't great. He lost his previous boyfriend in the April Offensive and turned his plane into a shrine. He was shot in the gut and is still recovering.
- Major Izuhara: Logistics officer, Imperial Army, this bespectled officer stood up to the Caspian Crown Prince and accidentally kicked off the Akitsikuni-Caspian War. The guilt was so much that, after almost a year of running Army procurement, he shot himself in a phone both.
- Captain Nakai Sekien: Army scout pilot. First person to drop a bomb from an airplane, later head of the Duck Squadrons.
- Captain Teshima: A Desk pilot that fought with Yachi. Lost an arm in the process, took over for Major Izuhara after his death. Seems cheery despite it all.
- Captain Nashio: A real piece of shit dude and probably a rapist, he's also a war hero as the second-highest scoring ace on the Akitsukuni side. He was a young shitty kid in way over his head but it's no excuse.
- Lt. Kinjo: Kind of a dumb lump and Nashio's friend, one of the desk pilots. Dead at 19.
- Lt. Okazaki: Yachi's friend from before the war and pilot, he died in a spin in his dragonfly. His death probably hit Yachi the hardest.

Westerners
- Rose & Antoinette Sears: Pioneers of flight. Sisters. Black in 1910s not!America. Yikes.
- Timina Guasti: Famous aircraft designer from Otrusia. Likes big planes and green.
- Prince Protasov Vasilyevich: Crown Prince of Great Caspia. Real dick. You gotta hand it to him though, a decent flier.
- Count von Zeppelin: Invented rigid airships. Runs a successful airline business. Damned impressive.
- Bennhold: Aircraft Engineer. Experimenting with metal aircraft.
- Aileen Middlemiss: Albian reporter for the Artimis Times. Well meaning and oblivious.
Available Tech
  • Materials: Wood, Duralumin, Molded Wood, Wood & Silk Composite, etc
  • All engine mounts
  • All wing types
  • Basic reinforcement
  • Wing warping and ailerons
  • Basic water radiators
  • Flying Wings
  • Semi-Monocoque design (requires at least half the slots have frame pieces)
  • Valved pulsejets
  • Basic weapon mounts and turrets
Tech not Yet Developed
  • Custom engines
  • Monocoque construction
  • Cantilever Wings and associated tech
  • V and T tails
  • Tailless designs
  • Aluminum and titanium
  • Cellulose surfacing
  • Any kind of radar
  • Weapon accessability mods
  • Interruptor gear
  • Geared propellers
  • And Maybe Other Stuff
Akitsukuni
Island Nation

Government
Constitutional Monarchy
- The democratic portions of the government are dubiously legitimate.
- The head of state is the Empress of Akitsukuni. She gives her blessing to newly formed governments.
- The Navy and a small number of families have undue influence on politics.

Economy
Developing Mixed Market
- Most industry is controlled by a small number of wealthy, family-owned companies.
- The state provides most contracts to industry. Consumer good market is anemic.
- Exports are few, mostly cultural.
- Imports are raw minerals, food, oil, and expertise.
- Currently suffering an economic crash after the last war.

Politics
The Diet is currently ruled by a Constitutional Nationalist government. It has a system of nonlocal proportional representation, with representatives appointed by the party in accordance to their share of the vote.
- Constitutional Nationalists: 50%
- Purity Club: 9%
- New Independents: 26%
- Fairness Association: 11%
- United Communist League: 2%
- Monarchists: 1%
- Assorted Fringe Parties: 5%

Demographics
Akitsukuni is mostly very ethnically homogeneous. Around 5% of the population are various minorities, most from nearby countries. Roughly .1% are westerners here for business or in advisory positions.
- Population: 55 Million
- Religion: Mostly Kodo. Roughly 2% of the population follows western religions.
- Wealth: Most wealth is concentrated in the top 5% of the country. Nearly 20% of the population lives in conditions indistinguishable from peasantry.
- Urbanization: Heavily urbanized for a small economy: 35% and rapidly growing.

Military
At Peace
- Imperial Akitsukuni Navy (IAN): The 6th largest in the world, and the most experienced.
- Imperial Akitsukuni Army (IAA): 150,000 highly experienced soldiers, and a considerable reserve.

Aspects
- Poor Resources: Aluminum costs +1.
- Damn Akitsukuni Engines!: Engines have -1 Reliability.

The Main Character Of This Quest Is Nonbinary And Uses They/Them Pronouns.

I Am Putting This Here Because The Next Person To Misgender Them Is Getting Yeeted Into The Trash

Also here's the Gayaverse TV Tropes page, because why not.

Last edited:
Minimum cost for nothing but a transmitter and the power system is about 6, plus the mass and drag penalties which significantly affect performance. It's probably not practical. I think presenting the aircraft fitted For-But-Not-With and then saying "And if you put a radio in it the price is only X for performance Y" might be a good idea, but our entry shouldn't include one.

Gotcha, then we still don't really have a new gimmick or idea or anything to make this, uh, unique? Do we?

I think we should research *something* because we need to keep on advancing or we'll fall behind, but none of the ideas thus far have really worked.

Well, I can do it. 15 cost precisely with a working radio transmitter. I've not gone as hard as I perhaps could with the wing configuration or anything but I can tell you the rest of the plane is horrendous. This is a very definite either-or between having a plane which is fast/long ranged (which we have been asked to do) and a plane which has a radio (which we have not been asked to do).

Well, I can do it. 15 cost precisely with a working radio transmitter. I've not gone as hard as I perhaps could with the wing configuration or anything but I can tell you the rest of the plane is horrendous. This is a very definite either-or between having a plane which is fast/long ranged (which we have been asked to do) and a plane which has a radio (which we have not been asked to do).

Gotcha. I still think we should be researching something or trying something new, because as I said before, merely competent design is something that all of the others who are going to be competing against us can do as well.

If I were to let my paranoia go full bore, my bet would be Akibara trying to leverage ongoing development work on that engine to give themselves a bit more power to shove a mediocre airframe through the air about as fast as we can get an exceptional design. They can spare themselves a lot of cleanup work just by making their engine a little bit less hungry for cooling. If they wring a bit more power out of it, they might be able to slide a transmitter in an otherwise totally reasonable design, and because they're Akibara, they'll get a serious hearing when they say it's a game changer and they're the only game in town for what the Navy needs. I'd say a fast plane fitted for but not with a radio makes good sense. It'd suck if we had to get to the enemy and back again faster than a radio equipped plane can get there. Honestly, throwing a transmitter in there is a pro zaibatsu move.

I have faith in us being able to deliver the highest performance, less so that with huge fuel tanks and that engine mandating a lot of mass and the radiator contributing a lot of drag, we can deliver something so much better that it's a slam dunk. There's only so much weight or drag that we can shave off the minimums forced on us, you know?

A design which comes in under cost but is fitted "for-but-not-with" radio might be a reasonable idea?

Then the Navy can decide whether they want to spring for the extra cost or not, or even make a decision to upgrade midway through the plane's service life. I think it would give a competitive edge.

If I were to let my paranoia go full bore, my bet would be Akibara trying to leverage ongoing development work on that engine to give themselves a bit more power to shove a mediocre airframe through the air about as fast as we can get an exceptional design. They can spare themselves a lot of cleanup work just by making their engine a little bit less hungry for cooling. If they wring a bit more power out of it, they might be able to slide a transmitter in an otherwise totally reasonable design, and because they're Akibara, they'll get a serious hearing when they say it's a game changer and they're the only game in town for what the Navy needs. I'd say a fast plane fitted for but not with a radio makes good sense. It'd suck if we had to get to the enemy and back again faster than a radio equipped plane can get there. Honestly, throwing a transmitter in there is a pro zaibatsu move.

I have faith in us being able to deliver the highest performance, less so that with huge fuel tanks and that engine mandating a lot of mass and the radiator contributing a lot of drag, we can deliver something so much better that it's a slam dunk. There's only so much weight or drag that we can shave off the minimums forced on us, you know?
Does this suggest that we should design for an engine that's actually a teeny bit more powerful than it is currently? We just finished a war, so we might be able to argue that we should be designing an airframe for the next war, with projected equipment upgrades, rather than for the last war.

Does this suggest that we should design for an engine that's actually a teeny bit more powerful than it is currently? We just finished a war, so we might be able to argue that we should be designing an airframe for the next war, with projected equipment upgrades, rather than for the last war.
I think we still need to get this through test flights, though.

I mean personally my school of design is wrapping as little plane around the engine, crew and mission essentials as possible, so it's just don't make a draggy mess, since that'll benefit more from a bit more power.

That said, a design which can take a bit more weight somewhere in the design without getting unbalanced would be good. Thankfully, we've already got stability on our list of priorities. I do think this is another advantage for my weird tandem idea, since you've got a lot of separation between the lift vectors, so you have a lot of leeway when it comes to alterations shifting the center of gravity (this isn't in the airplane builder, I just think it's neat from a narrative perspective). Plus, if we somehow get a ton more power and want a lot more room or we find an export market with better engines we can stretch the sucker out.

Last edited:
That said, a design which can take a bit more weight somewhere in the design without getting unbalanced. Thankfully, we've already got stability on our list of priorities. I do think this is another advantage for my weird tandem idea, since you've got a lot of separation between the lift vectors, so you have a lot of leeway when it comes to alterations shifting the center of gravity (this isn't in the airplane builder, I just think it's neat from a narrative perspective). Plus, if we somehow get a ton more power and want a lot more room or we find an export market with better engines we can stretch the sucker out.
Hmm, what kind of fanciness could we do to muck with the CoM or CoL...

Provide a pair of tanks that can hold either fuel or coolant and you can swap them to move the CoM a foot or two? Gasoline is ~75% as dense as salt water; I don't know how much reserve coolant you need, though, so there might not be a separate tank for it as such.

Could try to mount the front wings so they can be shifted forward or backward a bit. I don't know how that interacts with aerodynamics, but I'm also not sure that aerodynamics are all that precise these days anyway.

I feel like the best idea is just to put the spot for future equipment additions right on the CoM.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of filling every space in the plane that it's technically safe to have a fuel tank with fuel like the P-51. Oh sure, the manual may have to have notes about how the plane's basically not stable, you can't expect to be able to trim it until the fuselage is empty and you shouldn't do any high performance maneuvers, but the navy's getting their range performance!

But yes, leave some room for new shinies or adding them would get weird and require moving things around. I just think the tandem provides advantages for a design that we want to build headroom into.

Oh sure, the manual may have to have notes about how the plane's basically not stable, you can't expect to be able to trim it until the fuselage is empty and you shouldn't do any high performance maneuvers, but the navy's getting their range performance!

Now now, let's not overstate things. The plane isn't unstable, it just possesses lower than traditional stability across some portions of its CG envelope. However, by staggering which tanks are emptied in which order, the aircraft center of gravity never diverges to a truly unstable part of the pole-zero plot. Furthermore, stability is lowest only in cruise configuration during the cruise-out phase of the mission, the time where the pilot has the greatest ability to devote their attention to aircraft management, so it's not actually a problem from either a physical or pilot-workload perspective.

Real talk: There are real, honest to God ways to make a "questionably stable" airplane fly perfectly fine even without computers. It depends on the details of the design. I wouldn't worry about this sort of thing too much, or at least that's my personal opinion.

Last edited:
[X] A conventional tractor layout: engine, pilot, observer, tail.

Just for once, I'd like to see what crazy shit we can do with a "Conventional" layout.

Adhoc vote count started by Crasian01 on Aug 24, 2020 at 3:31 PM, finished with 145 posts and 22 votes.

Seems pretty locked in at this point?

[X] A canard configuration: tail, observer, pilot, engine, with the rudders on the wings.
[X] A combination tandem layout pusher triplane with a single wing forward and two stacked wings aft.

Yeah. I'll add an approval-vote for the tandem triplane, but I don't think it's going to change much.

[X] A canard configuration: tail, observer, pilot, engine, with the rudders on the wings.
[X] A combination tandem layout pusher triplane with a single wing forward and two stacked wings aft.

Because weird is expected, and this has real advantages for keeping us in the spirit of the rules while getting us a lot of wing area at good aspect ratio.

We should also design the main body to add lift for the plane, since it could help.
Unfortunately for that, you need to build the fuselage out of something stiffer than canvas for that, and we might not have the budget for it; mass or money-wise. I'll have to poke the designer again (been waiting to see what sort of design we vote on before I start seriously fiddling with things)

It's worth noting that the earlier M.35 Libellula was the one intended for carrier use, with a low rear wing and a high wing right behind the pilot, the M.39 was intended as a bomber because there was a requirement they could try for. The earlier one had a shoulder mounted wing for insanely good forward visibility and a 6.22 m wingspan.

This was based on a tandem wing Lysander with a rear wing to support a four gun turret for possible use as a turret fighter, or maybe because they were getting savaged over France.

Regarding a lifting body, that costs a lot in proportion to our budget. With a budget of 12-15, a chunk of lifting body costs 1 and gives you 3 wing area.

If you want a multi-purpose surface, I want the craziest possible option, I want the Linke-Hofmann R.II's radiator setup, where a panel radiator is given an aerofoil shape. Yes I modeled that thing, no it doesn't work particularly well in the constructor, and you'd better believe I represented the radiators as a miniature wing.

Getting the strain right was interesting, I'm not really sure whether or not it's in a baffling realm of nonsense.

Flying Circus Plane Builder

Last edited:
12-3: Tried and True
[X] A conventional tractor layout: engine, pilot, observer, tail.

"We shouldn't fuck around." Sakane immediately opines. "Nothing too clever or out there. We want the Admirality to like it the moment they set eyes on it, so it should look like something they're familiar with. Like their old Type 8s and stuff."

"Not a monoplane, though, right? It says a biplane or triplane." Kobayashi pointed out.

"Yeah, we should probably stick to the letter of the rules." Sakane agreed. "So... maybe not like a Type 8?"

"Well, what designs do they like, then?" you asked. "Do we know what they've shown interest in, or what they might trust Akibara to produce?"

There was silence around the table. You scanned everyone, and... it sort of looked like like they wanted to say something. It seemed to take them a second to realize you were looking at them.

"Um..." they started, fidgeting nervously. Yeah... its hard unlearning the desire to fade into the background.

"What do you think, Miyoshi?" you asked. Giving them permission would help, always did with you.

"It's basically a sea version of an Akibara Type 12 Observer, right?" they said, referring to the Pit Viper, the Akibara licensed copy of a New Alleghany design used as an observer by the Army, "I'd imagine Akibara might try to offer them a Type-12 with floats."

"So what are you suggesting?" you asked. This was good insight.

"Uh..." they shuffled a bit in their seat, "We should do something similar, and beat them on performance. That way, they can't point to any structure element of our design as disqualifying due to novelty or unfamiliarity, because we'll be broadly similar enough to the Akibara design that it wouldn't make sense. That gives us a better chance to make it farther into the trials and win on numbers."

"Providing our machine is better." Adachi said.

"... obviously, provided its better." Miyoshi agreed. "But I'm just speculating. They might submit something different."

"It's a good place to start." you agreed, "Tractor design, gunner in the back, stabilizers in the back. It's been done before, but we just have to do it better than anyone else."

"What, like it's hard?" Tezuka added, and spirits immediately raised around the table.

"For us? Hardly." Kawamura boasted.

----

Over the next few days, discussion and preliminary sketches started unfolding, and major points of contention started being raised. This would determine some large details of the plane going forward, and by locking it down, it would constrain the possibility space.

There were many beautiful dreams, but only one could become reality.

---

Frame Material
[ ] Conventional canvas and wood spars.​
[ ] Molded wood paneling and spars, possibly partially monocoque.​
[ ] Write In​
Wing Configuration
[ ] A biplane with no or limited stagger.​
[ ] A biplane with extreme stagger, like a T1M2 Desk.​
[ ] A triplane with no or limited stagger.​
[ ] A triplane with extreme stagger.​
[ ] Write In​

Last edited:
[X] Molded wood paneling and spars, possibly partially monocoque.
[X] A biplane with extreme stagger, like a T1M2 Desk.

this better look weird as heck

Back