Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I am honestly also really curious about what Uriel's deal is?
My best guess is that it ties into the Deal of angelkind in general, which Chiro just has no data about. What she (and hence we) know is pretty much limited to Avaritia's description of the place ey and Temperance came from (which I assume is related to angels, somehow) and Michael's personality (which clashes with most of what Avaritia says about them).

Maybe Michael is a rebel against the oppressive Angelic hierarchy, and Uriel is working to channel the discontent of certain First Tree youths in a direction that serves heaven's nefarious interests. Maybe Michael is a representative of the heavens, and Uriel is a Lucifer-type who manufactured the circumstances where (pre-Avaritia) and (pre-Gula) turned to sin. Maybe both of them stand apart from the angelic hierarchy, pursuing their own ends for their own motives.
The heroes could figure that out on their own once Inessa was safe.

Chiro really is hopeless to the end, I'm so proud of her. This was so good, and the ending really did follow through.

Edit: I imagine the inevitable in universe finale power up involved combining sin and virtue into a superform, if only because then Chiro can get her bat wings back without regressing.

Last edited:
This whole chapter was really good. I loved it. I was kicking my feet a ton during the last third.

Was it just the odd color, or were my eyebrows finer than before? Were my eyes just a bit larger, my face ever so slightly rounder? Was it the dark shadows accentuating my cheekbones or were they higher?
Finally noticing the magic HRT I see.

I knew exactly how I looked in a mirror.
Dysphoria is hard, especially when you don't have any way of lying to yourself about it. Going from a generalized dislike to specific ones sucks.
Gentle as a spring breeze," I plucked at the strings of my lyre, "Angelic Saint Humanitas takes the stage!"
YES! YES!! YES!!! I literally screamed aloud at this part.
directly calling to one of Chiro's feelings, feeling like she couldn't help at all and inessa's words are countering that a bit.
Hey, Humanitas," Inessa said, and I wondered how long it had taken her to decide what she could call me, as if this name was somehow better fitting than any other.
Names are hard and you haven't given her(or us) much to work on, okay.
Well then," Inessa spoke slowly, her lips curling into a fox-like smirk, "since I lost a brother, I guess you'll just have to be my sister instead."
YES! YES!! YES!!! I have literally been thinking of them as sisters this entire time, they literally think about each other as such in their inner monologue, so it is really good to see that being an official thing. Also I wonder exactly what Temperance said to Inessa.
Even if it was fake and it doesn't really feel like my name, bats are actually really cute and I like the name Chiro, so I'm staying with Chiroptera!"
That is a very nice and cute name Chiroptera. I'm so happy for you
Tune in for Episode 30: Stormy Horizons, Inessa's Got a New Sister!
YES! YES!! YES!!!
This art is really good and I love it! It gives me a really good idea of how angelic saint Humanitas looks like.

"And yes, dear viewers, with the Angelic Saints defeated, it seems that Superbia's victory is- oh, but what is that? It's Humanitas, HUMANITAS COMING IN WITH THE LYYYYYYYYYYRE!"

Humanitas, fresh off switching sides, somehow now looking more evil than ever before as she lines up the shot. XD

I love this to bits...but I can't help but worry how bad a dark magical person would be if they were Wrath, especially with the tones and vibes of the story. Wrath might just be the sin that can't be turned...I dunno just a feeling I'm getting.

I love this to bits...but I can't help but worry how bad a dark magical person would be if they were Wrath, especially with the tones and vibes of the story. Wrath might just be the sin that can't be turned...I dunno just a feeling I'm getting.
I feel like channelling the sin of Wrath in healthy/canon!Saintly ways could easily lead you to something like Righteousness.

Say they became Wrath over nonetheless legitimate grievances but they were channelling their feelings in a self-destructive and not necessarily effective way. They could, with a nice little character arc, learn to channel that trait within themselves more effectively and have them better able to recognise what grievances are legitimate and, now that they're not blinded by the red haze of fury, how each problem might require different sets of strategies and different balances of themes in order to fix the problem.

tl;dr in the cosmology of ALV I can see the critical difference of Wrath vs Righteousness being something like the critical difference where Wrath would predominantly be lost to rage and the almost drug like feeling of self assuratendness of their own victimhood it can bring (false-righteousness); becoming the Saint of Righteousness would have them focus on fixing or ameliorating the actual grievances at hand as a higher priority and, now that they're healthier, they have more headspace to concern themselves with the suffering of others as well as themselves.

Last edited:
Well, Temperance was supposed to be wrath instead of glutonny. Given her background, can wrath be so bad? Is hating TERFs so bad? Is bombing a few fashy government offices really illegal?

Temperance marched toward Inessa in a herculean display of effort, then fell to her knees and began to whisper animatedly to the other girl. Inessa looked confused at first, then slowly began to smile before contorting her face into a blank mask.

"Of course we don't—" Whatever Ida had been about to say was cut off by a loud shush from Temperance, who continued to conference with Inessa.

Helplessly, Ida shrugged and resigned herself to watching the show.
Everyone had substantial things to say about the chapter and the emotional rollercoaster of this whole thing already (and I'm finding it difficult to articulate all the feelings inside me at the moment) so I just want to say that the image of Ida standing off to the side confused as her queer teammates nefariously scheme around her was really funny.

Well, Temperance was supposed to be wrath instead of glutonny. Given her background, can wrath be so bad? Is hating TERFs so bad? Is bombing a few fashy government offices really illegal?
My worries are more along the lines and where they will be drawn? Are bystanders as equally at fault for not intervening and how wide the splash zone for guilt will be, kind of thing. Also probably self-projection.

Chiro said:
"Maybe I can just, you know, umm, fake being a girl instead?"
Temperance is gonna have her hands full.
That's what she's aiming for.;)
Not like this, man. Not like this...

I feel like channelling the sin of Wrath in healthy/canon!Saintly ways could easily lead you to something like Righteousness.
I'm gonna assume you're one of the 10,000 people who get to learn about the Seven Heavenly Virtues today. (Well, realistically it's lower than that, but—whatever.)

They're counterparts to the Seven Deadly Sins, both in number and in the sense that each Sin has a counterpart Virtue. For instance, the virtuous counterpart to Lust is Chastity. Critical for my argument are the counterparts of Gluttony and Envy—Temperance and Kindness. Both times an Abyssal Beast became an Angelic Saint, they took on the counterpart Heavenly Virtue.

And the counterpart virtue for Wrath is...um, patience. I'm sure there's a way to make wrath and patience flow from the same tap, but I'm not surprised Shadell left that well enough alone.

Ira Shark would have been an absolute terror. Strong AU potential there really.
I don't remember which chapter, exactly, but Temperance has expressed concerns about how badly that would go.

And the counterpart virtue for Wrath is...um, patience. I'm sure there's a way to make wrath and patience flow from the same tap, but I'm not surprised Shadell left that well enough alone.

It's hinted at with Temperance. Ira to Patientia would be a lot of going from blind anger at the world and lashing out at anything in reach to taking her time, making sure what she's doing is right and acting appropriately in measured ways, even if not giving up the underlying rage.

They're counterparts to the Seven Deadly Sins, both in number and in the sense that each Sin has a counterpart Virtue. For instance, the virtuous counterpart to Lust is Chastity. Critical for my argument are the counterparts of Gluttony and Envy—Temperance and Kindness. Both times an Abyssal Beast became an Angelic Saint, they took on the counterpart Heavenly Virtue.

Chiro specified Charity for Avaritia in the most recent chapter as well.

Last edited:
"And, like, if I'm faking being someone I want to be anyway, then, maybe, even if I'm not actually a trans girl or anything…" My tongue caught on that once more. Life would have been so much simpler if only that were true.
Chiro, forever the egg.

But that chapter made me so happy. I hope Chiro gets through to Lupin one day though.

I'm gonna assume you're one of the 10,000 people who get to learn about the Seven Heavenly Virtues today. (Well, realistically it's lower than that, but—whatever.)
No I'm well aware of them. One of the topics I like to read in my spare time is theology because I'm a big nerd.

I figured I'd write out a fuller summary of my reasoning since if it's coming across like 'oh, they've probably not heard of the Seven Virtues/Vices' I must have been communicating my intentions poorly. Also, to be extra clear, this isn't intended as a rebuttal of any kind it's just more of an 'oh damn, didn't make myself clear there either, better write out a short summary of the sources for theological development I was drawing on to comprise my logic but didn't actually mention.

So as for my logic, along with being aware of the Seven Virtues/Vices model, I'm also aware of how the Catholic tradition that developed the standardised model you're talking about with Wrath vs Patience is not only not being culturally adjusted for the drift of time, culture or language (it's in Latin); but also it is also has its roots in Jewish traditions which were then passed through the sieve of non-Christian Greek and Roman philosophies by the time we hit Paul's virtues and then later Prudentius' list of Seven Virtues and Vices in the form of poetry. And since I don't feel like it'd be productive for textual analysis to try and get into the head of a Roman Christian in the 5th? century to try and justify the Wrath vs Patience thing in the Latin of the time, I think, lacking the aforementioned contextualisation, it seems fitting to set that aside that dichotomy as inappropriate for this instead.

Thus, we're left with a few other options when considering the theoretical instance of a dark magical girl of Wrath which we can speculate about since we know it's a canonical possibility. And given the reasonably consistent and long-standanding references to The Wisdom of Solomon/Book of Wisdom in development of historical Catholic conceptualisations of sacred virtues, I picked up Righteousness for basically three core reasons:
a) It is an obvious counterpart where the aforementioned sin can still be present in the person but nonetheless be a force for good, texually speaking and fitting with what we've seen from ALV's cosmology (in my opinion, at least)
b) Mundane real life reasons (righteous rage is a common phrase in contemporary english-speaking cultures after all and the concept is hardly unique to them)
c) And finally the fact that Righteousness is also repeatedly referenced with regards to the Wisdom of Solomon by various writers who were part of the development of historical Catholic conceptualisations of sacred virtues.

Thanks for reading to the end, if you have. This is the short version, I promise.

Edit: SNIPED AND JOSSED BY SHADELL LMAO.
I do still think what I suggested was worthwhile though becuase I think it'd make an interesting story with fun historical theological themes to draw on (just evidently not one entirely fitting with ALV and Shadell's vision for it).

Last edited:
"And, like, if I'm faking being someone I want to be anyway, then, maybe, even if I'm not actually a trans girl or anything…" My tongue caught on that once more. Life would have been so much simpler if only that were true.
If it was a lie, Chiro, it wouldn't be so hard to say out loud.

Lying is easy. Admitting a truth you can't fully grasp is a lot harder.

At this point Chiro mostly seems hung up on the label and is willing to do everything else to socially and physically (well, hormonally, no one's brought up any surgical options yet) transition so like...whatever works in your head, girl.

Last edited:
Back