Hmm, I honestly half wouldn't be surprised if there really was an escaping Omelas game on the Commadore 64 given the insane sheer number of commercially and privately created games for that system.

After all said games ranged from everything from Wasteland, Paper Boy and Metal Gear to an flying bird shitting simulator that gave you points for shitting on moving cars along a road and played the death march if you ended up dying.

Whoever did a SummerSlam push with this notion that videogame developers haven't always been approaching the edge of graphical quality and high end performance and the like knew damn well it wasn't true.

How quickly we forgot N64 Expansion Paks, required to have full access to Perfect Dark, and to play DK64 and Majora's Mask.

How many Omelas threads are we going to have?
Yes.

What counts as background music here? Because Metal Gear Revengeance has some bangar songs with lyrics during its fights.

Like a ton of games will put lyrics on their biggest or best tracks, Kingdom Hearts (Simple and Clean, Dearly Beloved, Face My Fears), Metal Gear Solid (Snake Eater, Heavens Divide, Sins of the Father), Sonic Adventure 2(Live and Learn, City Escape). And that doesn't even go into the vague Latin chanting that gets all sorts of things from Halo to Final Fantasy to Dark Souls, or diegetic songs like No Straight Road's VS SAYU or Hades 2's Coral Crown.

Like a ton of games will put lyrics on their biggest or best tracks

Yeah but I'm talking lyric background music beyond chanting and big fights, like for the whole game. Cassette Beasts soundtrack has full actual songs constantly playing in the background pretty much no matter what your doing in game.

What counts as background music here? Because Metal Gear Revengeance has some bangar songs with lyrics during its fights.
While absolute bangers, those are fight music. A lot of background music should probably be more called downtime music in games because we aren't going to just put it down and watch unless it's a Kojima game. Like if you're in the menus or in the hub area.

For example, in Persona 5. Beneath the Mask and would be Downtime/Background music. Meanwhile Rivers In the Desert and Throw Away Your Mask would be fight music.

Context: Assassin's Creed Shadows released a trailer where one of the main characters is Yasuke, an actual historically accurate Black person who went to Japan and became Nobunaga's retainer. People got mad because the game made him a samurai instead when other works that included Yasuke skewed that line just to bring up "hey, did you know there was a Black samurai?" Because, let's be honest here: the semantics behind Yasuke's status of being a retainer/servant are minuscule at best and "um actually" at worst. Especially since Nobunaga gave him the title of bushi which is roughly the meaning of Samurai.

Yeah, it's cool talking about how Nobunaga came across Yasuke and took him in, but not a lot of people really know Nobunaga outside of "haha, demon king" or his fate at Honnoji, so the easiest way to clickbait people is to just cut the middle men and go "Black samurai".

...Well... this is a take.

And like, even assuming it's correct, going and erasing one of the single most important individuals in Japanese History is uhhhhh... not good.

Like, talk about cultural appropriation.
Well, not exactly erasing but rather approaching from a different angle by bringing emphasis on Yasuke himself rather than Nobunaga's role in him becoming a Samurai.

Which now that I think of it may be cultural appropriation in of itself because it's boiling Yasuke's entire life down to a clickbait title.

I have now seen like ten different versions of How That Yasuke Thing Really Worked, For Reals that were all nominally from Japanese sources.

... Still, it really does sound like a non-trivial number of Japanese people are not super thrilled by that trailer.

-Morgan.

Back