I'm a fan of Pathfinder's kineticist. I don't think they're quite as potent as spellcasters, but I like that you can toss around fire all day long. They're also incredibly versatile depending on how you build them. You can get reliable access to something like five different damage types at a low level to help with resistances & weakness, attacks that require the enemy to make a save instead of going after armor class or summon up a suit of armor from nowhere.

I'm a fan of Pathfinder's kineticist. I don't think they're quite as potent as spellcasters, but I like that you can toss around fire all day long. They're also incredibly versatile depending on how you build them. You can get reliable access to something like five different damage types at a low level to help with resistances & weakness, attacks that require the enemy to make a save instead of going after armor class or summon up a suit of armor from nowhere.
Wizard forever. The ability to become endlessly more versatile through continuous learning and self-improvement speaks to me on a deep level, not to speak of all the things they can do that aren't just becoming more efficient killing machines.

Wizard forever. The ability to become endlessly more versatile through continuous learning and self-improvement speaks to me on a deep level, not to speak of all the things they can do that aren't just becoming more efficient killing machines.
Wizards depend on the rest of the party to protect them from wasting spell slots though.

In the specific context of Pathfinder I believe the Rogue or Investigator deserves the 'continuous learning and self-improvement' prize more, though as a computer person IRL I understand the appeal of specifically focusing on things you are good at rather than holistic self improvement.

In the specific context of Pathfinder I believe the Rogue or Investigator deserves the 'continuous learning and self-improvement' prize more
Conceptually, possibly, but mechanically, any class that is dependent on the limited amount of skill points that you get on level-up is less capable of it than a class that can simply learn how to do more things from stuff that they find lying around in-game.

Conceptually, possibly, but mechanically, any class that is dependent on the limited amount of skill points that you get on level-up is less capable of it than a class that can simply learn how to do more things from stuff that they find lying around in-game.
In which case we can't forget the Witch, who unlike the wizard is still in a state of actual learning from a teacher figure!

In which case we can't forget the Witch, who unlike the wizard is still in a state of actual learning from a teacher figure!
And of course Oracles, who are basically divine wizards and get to learn any divine spell that is compatible with their alignment, without being restricted to a deity's actual portfolio and domains.

The best recent new genre seems to be shaping up into "Old, simple boardgame but with Yu-Gi-Oh rules".

Balatro, Rollscape... at this point I await someone making a clone of Monopoly but insane too.

You mean there are games of Monopoly that are sane? That would be like having a game of risk that lasted less than four hours.

The best recent new genre seems to be shaping up into "Old, simple boardgame but with Yu-Gi-Oh rules".

Balatro, Rollscape... at this point I await someone making a clone of Monopoly but insane too.
There is the predatory mobile game Monopoly Go.

No Rolls Barred has some weird custom tabletop monopoly variants.

I think it is possible to do something more Balatro-esque with Monopoly but it isn't worth the effort and hassle.

Souls series games are honestly not that punishing.

When you die in a Souls game, you just lose progress from your last spawn point and souls, things that you can recover fairly easily. It definitely sucks if you die again and lose all your souls, but even then, you still have everything you spent your souls on.

Meanwhile, in Minecraft, you don't just lose experience and progress, but also everything you were carrying. This is especially bad if you had any rare items that are difficult to replace.

When you die in a Souls game, you just lose progress from your last spawn point and souls, things that you can recover fairly easily. It definitely sucks if you die again and lose all your souls, but even then, you still have everything you spent your souls on.

Meanwhile, in Minecraft, you don't just lose experience and progress, but also everything you were carrying. This is especially bad if you had any rare items that are difficult to replace.
I'd say instead that death in Minecraft (default settings) is potentially extremely punishing.

However, death is extremely avoidable in Minecraft unless you play with wholly unnecessary valor.

gentle poke

Dark Souls difficulty is now a banned topic for this thread.

TLOU2 still remains a memorable and excellent game 4 years later.

I mean, these kinds of 'cinematic' video games are incredibly popular...

On Tumblr. And also AO3 and other, hmm, I don't quite want to say female dominated, so I'll use the Japanese genre label 'shoujo', spaces. They're there, rubbing shoulders with (and often being the same people as) sequel fans and Twilight fans and so on.

And you're never going to see them because SV is a 'shounen' space and even when people here are getting information from other sources those are also 'shounen' sources. If you want to ask who TLOU2 appeals to, it's those people. And you can say that x game did it better than TLOU2... but if x game isn't the kind of game those people would play, does it matter? If someone wants to play an RPG about the consequences of repeated time travel to avert WW2 doomed by the fact WW2 was overdetermined, they aren't going to care that Red Alert 3 did it.

I mean, is it? The Last of Us isn't doing badly on ao3, what with having a bit shy of 10,000 works, but it's vastly behind the likes of Genshin Impact (183k), Final Fantasy (121k), and, bafflingly, Minecraft (111k)[1].

[1] Baffling not for popularity, but for, "What would fanfics of this even be about?"

Back