Because they're old.

That is the actual reason. Old things are powerful, just because they are old.

For example, IIRC in Kara no Kyoukai, there was a 200+ year old katana that destroyed bounded fields when drawn. It hadn't been enchanted or anything, it had just been around for a while, and that's all you need to accumulate mystery.

There's also the 'Nasu history is weird, and most of the time, the heroes actually had that power in life' factor.

But then you get cavemen with superpowers!

And the most powerful weapon ever should be a random stone axe which survived to the current age.

Nah. The most powerful weapons are generally alien shits, followed by divine stuffs. Two big examples of alien shits are: Fucking-Ea and Reality Marbles in general.

Nah. The most powerful weapons are generally alien shits, followed by divine stuffs. Two big examples of alien shits are: Fucking-Ea and Reality Marbles in general.
News flash: Shirou is an alien! :o

The Nasuverse's idea of a Universe inside the Planet is very weird, though.

It's like the Lovecraft's idea turned to 11.

Last edited:
But then you get cavemen with superpowers!

And the most powerful weapon ever should be a random stone axe which survived to the current age.
Cavemen did have super powers in nasu verse. Of course nasuverse history is weird what with the age of gods and all. Basically those stories of superhuman feats were completly possible back then. Something to do with how there is a limited amount of soul stuff so the more people there are the weaker each individual is because each person gets less soul stuff. Of course there apparently is some reality warping that happened back then, because the world literally changed how reality worked when the age of gods ended. Things that were real supposedly became myth, and one interperation of medusa has her being retroactivly placed in time because of her followers beliefs.
The most powerful weapon in nasuverse is Ea. Which is the sword made before the concept of sword existed.

How can an alien common sense summon hundreds of powerful warriors out of nowhere?

That doesn't seem to be very metaphysical.

How can an alien common sense summon hundreds of powerful warriors out of nowhere?

I think that's more Noble Phantasm then RM. Basically the same way someone thinking that they are an inanimate object let's them summon magic weapon with haxs

Last edited:
What effect can Mystery have on abilities which the heroes do not have in their stories?

Eg. Gae Bolg does not have the causation reversal effect in the story. What gives?

Also, Excalibur. Not supposed to shoot out blasts of energy. Very much not supposed to.

How can the Mystery and Legend reinforce the strengths of weapons which they did not have in the Legend?

NP's are the manifestations of a Heroic Spirit's feats and mysteries.

Cu Chuulain managed to always stab the heart with Gae Bolg. How he did this with 100% accuracy was a mystery and that mystery translated to an ability to "pierce heart first, stab spear later".

I have no idea about Excalibur actually. Something about the light being the hopes and dreams of mankind and Excalibur being able to hold it or something or somesuch idfk.
Quick look at the Wikipedia page for Excalibur is showing that it does have some basis in the legend. Seems to be Creative Interpretation of Excalibur blinding enemies when drawn.
Vaguely remember another thing about defeating armies for something, but can't find a source for that.

It's not a normal RM, it's a shared belief--scratch that, it's a shared Shounen Hot-Bloodedness between tens of thousands of man, horses, and whatever else that follows Iskandar.

Their alien common sense is basically "Fuck common sense, we're following our king because LOYALTY!" Between the strength of the belief and the number of believer, it was possible to bend the law of space and time to attend to the king. It's not a straight RM, it's a pseudo-Reality Marble, and mainly referred as a Reality Marble because the characteristics of the bounded field is similar to an RM's.

...by the way, I just realize this: if Kirei is a fake priest... wouldn't that make him an impastor?

*badum-tss*

Saw the Unlimited Bladeworks movie. Seemed rushed though the sword fights were sick. So this is a full tv adaption actually telling the story?

Still need to see Fate Zero at some point. Maybe, already wikied it awhile ago.

Last edited:
Quick look at the Wikipedia page for Excalibur is showing that it does have some basis in the legend. Seems to be Creative Interpretation of Excalibur blinding enemies when drawn.
Vaguely remember another thing about defeating armies for something, but can't find a source for that.

I remember reading a myth once that gave excalibur a blessing which guaranteed it would kill a thousand enemies every time it was drawn and the sheathe one that let its owner survive a thousand deaths, but I'm afraid I forgot the name of that as well.

Here is the Rank table. The pluses increase Ranks situationally so a a C+ phantasm is normally a C Rank weapon unless confronted with something that it was an affinity with (holy sword striking a demon) in which case it increases. Also an A Rank attack by a modern mage is only equal to a Servant C Rank. The numbers I assume are what that amount of people can do (E Rank is strength is the strength of ten people, etc.).

Great episode, Saber calmly getting control of the situation, Rin and Illya have a cool mage fight, Archer pretending to be super-bad until he just decides 'eh fuck it lets nuke everything' where great. Kirei and Gil where great, because it feels like Kirei realised Gil is an unsufferable asshole working under A+ Charisma years ago and is now just regretting the whole thing.

Also Shirou literally did nothing but walk around and he's the only one with to walk away with a significant injury. I cannot imagine how hard it would have been to child-proof that boy's spaces when he was younger.

Great episode, Saber calmly getting control of the situation, Rin and Illya have a cool mage fight, Archer pretending to be super-bad until he just decides 'eh fuck it lets nuke everything' where great. Kirei and Gil where great, because it feels like Kirei realised Gil is an unsufferable asshole working under A+ Charisma years ago and is now just regretting the whole thing.

Also Shirou literally did nothing but walk around and he's the only one with to walk away with a significant injury. I cannot imagine how hard it would have been to child-proof that boy's spaces when he was younger.

That reminds me of this kind of bad abridge of FSN where they joked how Shirou would often just play in traffic just because. Sakura has to deal with repercussions of that all the time.

I was strangely pleased when Saber seemed to recognize Illya. I think they did a good job showing Shirou's feeling's of impotence. Makes him more relatable.

On the matter of power levels nonsense. Would a 200 year old flintlock pistol be able to punch through a modern tank?

I was strangely pleased when Saber seemed to recognize Illya. I think they did a good job showing Shirou's feeling's of impotence. Makes him more relatable.

On the matter of power levels nonsense. Would a 200 year old flintlock pistol be able to punch through a modern tank?
Usually no. If it was an important flintlock used by the right person, yes. If it was a Servant using it, most definitely.

Probably not. It could bypass any amount of mystic nonsense, but plain old steel would probably stop it.

That being said, that's just by dint of being 200 years old. If a magus got his hands on it, it's probably a decent base for a Mystic Code, and if it had been used by some excellent duelist that made a name for himself shooting people behind walls or something, it might be able to bypass armor based on its legend.

Also, I realize this is pedantic, but how can a non-magic human be considered superhuman?
One important thing to remember is that most of the 'servants' we see are supposedly weaker then they were in life (according to some interpretations and WoG that might have changed since then). Heracles the man had all the abilities of Heracles the servant, save for the mad enhancement, which he only possessed some of the time. The classes are meant to 'weaken' the servant by taking away their powers and allowing them to exist in a modern world.

So by virtue of being able to fight off one of the heroes of the past, if Kuzuki was more famous he could have qualified for the status himself. Also remember that his fighting style is the type of thing that only works once or twice... if he fought Saber more, she'd have worked out its weaknesses quickly.

Last edited:
One important thing to remember is that most of the 'servants' we see are supposedly weaker then they were in life (according to some interpretations and WoG that might have changed since then). Heracles the man had all the abilities of Heracles the servant, save for the mad enhancement, which he only possessed some of the time. The classes are meant to 'weaken' the servant by taking away their powers and allowing them to exist in a modern world.

So by virtue of being able to fight off one of the heroes of the past, if Kuzuki was more famous he could have qualified for the status himself. Also remember that his fighting style is the type of thing that only works once or twice... if he fought Saber more, she'd have worked out its weaknesses quickly.

I think it goes In Life<<Servant<<<<<Heroic Spirit.

Uh, no. For example, Gil in life is as strong as his HS self, let alone Servant.

Cutoff for Life<Servants should be somewhere around the end of middle ages i would think. Although you still had fuckers hunt down all sorts of scary shit i guess.

Uh, no. For example, Gil in life is as strong as his HS self, let alone Servant.

Cutoff for Life<Servants should be somewhere around the end of middle ages i would think. Although you still had fuckers hunt down all sorts of scary shit i guess.
...I'm pretty sure he didn't have Servant tier Parameters, nor did his treasury have the capability of launching it's contents at targets or of containing all of humanity's collective treasures, past and future.

Back