Titans DC - The Edge strikes back

Okay, but loathe as I am to say it, why not cast someone with a lighter skin tone instead, if it's going to be such a massive issue?
All signs point to either the producers/directors just not caring or them pulling a Fant4stic and trying to re-imagine almost everything to do with the setting in a drive to tell the story they want to tell instead of the one they are supposed to be telling.

All signs point to either the producers/directors just not caring or them pulling a Fant4stic and trying to re-imagine almost everything to do with the setting in a drive to tell the story they want to tell instead of the one they are supposed to be telling.
Which has led to this looking like a live action sequel to 'All-Star Batman And Robin: The Boy Wonder', or ASBAR for short. Hell, I half expect Linkara to review this under his Miller Time Segment!

Ok...so... what i got from the trailer.
1) Robin is a murderer. He literally kills an incapacitated man in cold blood. That is the climax of his part in this shitty trailer. Why?!
2) Raven got rid of her bindi. And isn't Indian. They had a great chance to racialize a character, in a way that follows her themes beautifully and could easily be built into her backstory, but instead they get rid of her defining characteristics and make her edgy-mc-whitegothbitch. Also her powers look like shit.
3) didn't actually see enough about beastboy to really comment? He needs more green? Does he turn into animals still? Meh.
4) starfire. Fucking starfire. Easily my fav. Character from TT. No problem with the actress. She's hot, and looks like she would fit the roll well. yaknow, if you dig into the meta. What we actually got: I guess she's going undercover as a whore in the trailer? I mean, she looked remarkably similar to the whore I saw on my way home yesterday night. And I guess she was using a flamethrower to keep her identity secret? 'Cause throwing green fire orbs would be too big a giveaway? And where is her tight purple outfit that shows lots of skin? Just cut away the shoulders and chop a bit off the sides for fucks sake! It doesn't even need to be racy or anything, just alien-solarpower-princess rather than gheto-streetwalker, yaknow?

Edit: i guess they decided to go full-new 52 for this turd?

Last edited:
1) Robin is a murderer. He literally kills an incapacitated man in cold blood. That is the climax of his part in this shitty trailer. Why?!
2) Raven got rid of her bindi. And isn't Indian. They had a great chance to racialize a character, in a way that follows her themes beautifully and could easily be built into her backstory, but instead they get rid of her defining characteristics and make her edgy-mc-whitegothbitch. Also her powers look like shit.
3) didn't actually see enough about beastboy to really comment? He needs more green? Does he turn into animals still? Meh.
4) starfire. Fucking starfire. Easily my fav. Character from TT. No problem with the actress. She's hot, and looks like she would fit the roll well. yaknow, if you dig into the meta. What we actually got: I guess she's going undercover as a whore in the trailer? I mean, she looked remarkably similar to the whore I saw on my way home yesterday night. And I guess she was using a flamethrower to keep her identity secret? 'Cause throwing green fire orbs would be too big a giveaway? And where is her tight purple outfit that shows lots of skin? Just cut away the shoulders and chop a bit off the sides for fucks sake! It doesn't even need to be racy or anything, just alien-solarpower-princess rather than gheto-streetwalker, yaknow?

More like the worst parts of the 90's, only without giving Robin massive shoulderpads, straps, pouches, and huge future guns. Probably due to how cheap this show looks.

It shouldn't be such a massive issue in the first place.
Well, of course it shouldn't but I think they blew the budget on writers. I mean, I've never heard of a better crafted joke that Robin shooting three people, crushing the trachea of a fourth, and then saying 'fuck Batman.' They must have hired the best of the best.

It's not a Bindi, which is a cultural thing, it's a focusing gem to cover her "3rd Eye" (psychic pseudoscience thing, not physical). She's not even from earth.

What I expected I'd see in this thread:
  • Muh early 2000s cartoon that was good
  • Jesus christ robin wtf
  • Le goth
  • Fuck CN and fuck Teen Titans Go
  • DC fix your yourselves
  • Oh goodness just look at the Miller-time!
What I got from this thread
  • All of that, plus
  • WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES WHORES
It's like I'm actually looking into the part of early 90s Dave Chapelle's brain responsible for social imagination.

See a black woman in an arguably garish outfit? Probably a [slur for population of marginalised labourers who are murdered and sexually assaulted far more frequently than many other kinds of worker] haha so funny and original ah haha I saw one of those the other day hahahaha!

Unplug your keyboard and read a book.

Last edited:
See a black woman in an arguably garish outfit? Probably a [slur for population of marginalised labourers who are murdered and sexually assaulted far more frequently than many other kinds of worker] haha so funny and original ah haha I saw one of those the other day hahahaha!
...I'm curious, why do you thing we care about the skin color? Do you think our reactions would be different if she were white? I know my wouldn't.

...I'm curious, why do you thing we care about the skin color? Do you think our reactions would be different if she were white? I know my wouldn't.
I described Anna Diop accurately, as she is a black woman. Edit: I didn't impute particular racist intention on anyone's part. If you want to accuse me of something, such as racism for seeing race when I should be colourblind, or some such silly sausage nonsense, do us all a favour and be a little more brave. Come out and say it. Being coy and "simply asking questions" is weak tea.

If your reaction is still "lol hooker" irrespective of the actress's race, congratulations, you're still perpetuating harmful attitudes toward people who don't need more opprobrium piled on them by any society.

Edit: I am, however, very amused that the first thing you went for was "hmmmm why are you bringing race into this none of us did????" when I merely described her as black and made no accusation of racism.

I am further amused that you read what I wrote and took issue not with the accusation of hating sex workers, but with the possibility that I might be calling someone (like you) racist. Got your priorities straight, ace.

Last edited:
I described Anna Diop accurately, as she is a black woman. Edit: I didn't impute particular racist intention on anyone's part. If you want to accuse me of something, such as racism for seeing race when I should be colourblind, or some such silly sausage nonsense, do us all a favour and be a little more brave. Come out and say it. Being coy and "simply asking questions" is weak tea.

If your reaction is still "lol hooker" irrespective of the actress's race, congratulations, you're still perpetuating harmful attitudes toward people who don't need more opprobrium piled on them by any society.

Edit: I am, however, very amused that the first thing you went for was "hmmmm why are you bringing race into this none of us did????" when I merely described her as black and made no accusation of racism.

I am further amused that you read what I wrote and took issue not with the accusation of hating sex workers, but with the possibility that I might be calling someone (like you) racist. Got your priorities straight, ace.
We are mocking the fur coat. It's been pointed out by several people that the actress looks more like the character without the makeup and hair they gave than she does with it.

Pfff hahahahaha. :rofl:

Ok, just pfff... ok.

*deep breath*

That was funny, dude, it was a honest question, most of the people here don't mention her skin when complaining about her so I was curious about why you decide to do it, you say it was to described her accurately *shrug* ok, don't need to be so defensive about it.

Somewhere, somehow Thanos smiles

So a green haired Asian, a clearly possessed emo teen, some guy who works at 711, and a hooker.

And Starfire in the comics doesn't dress like a hooker, hookers dress more conservatively. The Starfire in this film just looks like some random chick you'd find selling herself on the street corner, not a quirky alien.

And as for my complaints about starfire. She looks like some random ass hooker on the side of a street corner, and not a motherfucking Titan.

and theres the fact that her costume makes her look like a truck stop hooker... Most of the titans have these hot topic, or as I said earlier truck stop hooker, clothes...

.. unless she's going undercover as a whore in the trailer? I mean, she looked remarkably similar to the whore I saw on my way home yesterday night...It doesn't even need to be racy or anything, just alien-solarpower-princess rather than gheto-streetwalker, yaknow?

Pictured, people complaining about the coat.

Why you'd lump yourself in with this lot, @Arawn_Emrys, I don't know.

Ok, just pfff... ok.

*deep breath*

That was funny, dude, it was a honest question, most of the people here don't mention her skin when complaining about her so I was curious about why you decide to do it, you say it was to described her accurately *shrug* ok, don't need to be so defensive about it.

This funny for two reasons. Firstly, and I didn't realise it at the time of my first post, but one of the nasty things I've quoted above actually does use some variation on the phrase "ghetto streetwalker", so your attempt to portray me as shrilly reacting to non-existent words is provably wrong. You didn't even try to cover your ass before you posted. Gotta set those shots up more carefully, son.

The second, equally amusing thing, is that you still haven't even tried to address the criticisms that calling women "whores" is bad, likewise disparaging sex workers. If you're here to engage with what I'm actually saying, you're currently doing a terrible job of that, too.

Hell, here's number three: you've stuck with this long enough to try and get a rise out of me so clearly you feel invested to some degree, but you only started in on this 3/10 bait throwing when I called out people for being shitty to women even though I didn't name you personally.

I wonder why? ;)

Pictured, people complaining about the coat.

Why you'd lump yourself in with this lot, @Arawn_Emrys, I don't know.

This funny for two reasons. Firstly, and I didn't realise it at the time of my first post, but one of the nasty things I've quoted above actually does use some variation on the phrase "ghetto streetwalker", so your attempt to portray me as shrilly reacting to non-existent words is provably wrong. You didn't even try to cover your ass before you posted. Gotta set those shots up more carefully, son.

The second, equally amusing thing, is that you still haven't even tried to address the criticisms that calling women "whores" is bad, likewise disparaging sex workers. If you're here to engage with what I'm actually saying, you're currently doing a terrible job of that, too.

Hell, here's number three: you've stuck with this long enough to try and get a rise out of me so clearly you feel invested to some degree, but you only started in on this 3/10 bait throwing when I called out people for being shitty to women even though I didn't name you personally.

I wonder why? ;)
Didn't actually notice that one. And in my case I think it's mostly that I'm going to instinctively attack when I see someone defending this show. It looks awful, so much so that I'd think it was a prank like thst old Live Action Zelda movie trailer from years ago. And I hate "edgy" reboots so goddamn much that I wanted to through my ipad at the wall watching this trailer.

We are mocking the fur coat. It's been pointed out by several people that the actress looks more like the character without the makeup and hair they gave than she does with it.
Find a way to do it without hating on sex workers.

Ok, just pfff... ok.

*deep breath*

Says the person who went defensive and tried to make backhand acussations of racism in response to well-deserved criticism.

I'd actually be willing to put money down that if we could see into an alternative reality where it was a white actress portraying Starfire I'd be seeing a lot more references to Lady Gaga, Iggy, or some other pop singer than I would people doing their worst impression of Frank Miller's writing.

I'd actually be willing to put money down that if we could see into an alternative reality where it was a white actress portraying Starfire I'd be seeing a lot more references to Lady Gaga, Iggy, or some other pop singer than I would people doing their worst impression of Frank Miller's writing.
Eeh, i don't really care about the actress, she looks like she would look great in the roll, as shown by people photoshopping her pictures. Its how she was made up that bothers me. First, starfire is supposed to be solar powered. As in, she requires sun exposure on bare skin to have powers. The only exposure in the trailer was a boob-window (how empowering:rolleyes:), her hands, and her face. she looked like she was wearing leather thigh boots even! Second, starfire is happy. That was one of her defining characteristics in TT, despite everything that had happened to her she kept her spirits high. That was not what we got in the trailer. And third, starfire uses green plasma bolts, she isn't a regular colored flamethrower.

Last edited:
Eeh, i don't really care about the actress, she looks like she would look great in the roll, as shown by people photoshopping her pictures. Its how she was made up that bothers me. First, starfire is supposed to be solar powered. As in, she requires sun exposure on bare skin to have powers. The only exposure in the trailer was a boob-window (how empowering:rolleyes:), her hands, and her face. she looked like she was wearing leather thigh boots even! Second, starfire is happy. That was one of her defining characteristics in TT, despite everything that had happened to her she kept her spirits high. That was not what we got in the trailer.

The breath's through her skin absorbs sunlight defense doesn't work when we have this guy with the same thing going on.

Or even this guy who is the same species as she is.

The breath's through her skin absorbs sunlight defense doesn't work when we have this guy with the same thing going on.

Eh, her brother usually runs around in a speedo, so I don't have a problem with her showing more skin. Oddly, it seems like her evil sister was the one who covered up more in the original.

That's an extremely atypical male Tamaranean.

Frankly anything meaningfully less revealing than this is subpar for Tamaraneans in my book:

Also my er... lets call it a diatribe about this trailer is ballooning significantly. This might take even longer.

That's an extremely atypical male Tamaranean.

Frankly anything meaningfully less revealing than this is subpar for Tamaraneans in my book:

Also my er... lets call it a diatribe about this trailer is ballooning significantly. This might take even longer.

Superman isn't solar powered, he's solar-catalyzed so he only needs that little bit. Skimpy cloting is a thing for most tamareneans, as seen in the pictures of her home world.

Let's take a look at Tamaren.

It is almost like Tamaren's don't have a physiological need to show the maximum amount of skin but simply don't have hang ups about showing skin. That is the thing the good writers go with. I mean the whole feespirited alien thing that is part of Starfire's character doesn't work as well if she is only naked and mostly naked for physiological reasons.

Let's take a look at Tamaren.

It is almost like Tamaren's don't have a physiological need to show the maximum amount of skin but simply don't have hang ups about showing skin. That is the thing the good writers go with. I mean the whole feespirited alien thing that is part of Starfire's character doesn't work as well if she is only naked and mostly naked for physiological reasons.
[Whispers gently into your ear.] Old comics are not in fact sacred. :p

I am not, and never will be, a fan of substantially-clothed Tamaraneans outside of very specific circumstances.

Back