3.5 Progenitors
17. Progenitors

I took a few minutes to study my surroundings, and I soon realized something:

This place may have looked like Tokyo-3, but it wasn't the city I remembered living in.

The first sign of that was the smog. Tokyo-3 had been a pioneer for clean energy, but a haze hung over this city as far as the eye could see. It was a thick cloud—you couldn't see above it.

Then there was the matter of my clothes: I was wearing a black robe and headdress—like something nomads or desert people might wear. The headdress came with facial covering, too, leaving only a slit for the eyes.

And even despite this, my skin was sticky with sunscreen: I found four bottles of sunscreen in the washroom, with two more empty ones in the trash. "Official government issue," the bottles read. "SPF 300."

No, I hadn't heard of SPF 300 before either. Couple that with the form-fitting goggles, double-layered gloves that tied to the robe, and long socks, and I think the picture became very, very clear.

You might think I'd be crazy to go outside at all under those conditions, but I had a feeling I wasn't supposed to do that. There was a note on the refrigerator:

"Presentation: Monday, Headquarters, 09:00."

The crosses on the calendar told me it was indeed Monday—the first of nine days in a week—and the clock on the wall read 08:15.

There was only one place in town that could be called headquarters, and Ayanami—she must've wanted me to see something—so I headed out.

The way to Central Dogma's street entrance was an unsettling hike. The buses didn't seem to be running, for one, and there was hardly any traffic on the roads. Some cars sat abandoned, with paint peeling off them or blistering. I walked the whole way, but the air had a foul stench about it, tingling the roof of my mouth. At first, my skin felt alive with pinpricks all over, but after a few minutes that sensation faded to a numb buzz. One could only hope I'd feel anything at all when I got inside.

After a good twenty minutes, I made it to the train station, and thankfully, the trains were still running. I didn't have to worry about finding a seat, either: there was hardly anyone else waiting.

The train got me to the Central Dogma street entrance. I did have an ID card to swipe at the gate, but when the blast doors opened and I stepped through, a voice called to me.

"Ah, hold the gate!"

I hesitated. Two other figures—clad head to toe in black—were at the card reader. My hesitation was enough for the first, the woman who'd called to me, to step through and straddle the seal, holding the gate open.

"Hurry up!" she called back to the second figure.

"I'm hurrying!" The second woman fished through a handbag for her ID card. All the while, the gate buzzed unpleasantly, with flashing lights and an audible countdown.

"This gate must close as a security precaution. Please clear the area. Authorities will be contacted in ten seconds if the gate is not closed. Ten, nine…"

At last, the second woman swiped in, and she scampered through the gate, too.

"Sorry about that," she said, bowing to me in gratitude. "Thanks for holding up; those things take so long to open up again, right?"

"Altogether too long," said the first woman. "Honestly! All the money they spent on this—you'd think they'd have come up with a better checkpoint system!"

"What can you do?" said the second. "It's bureaucracy in action."

"I know! It's awful." The first woman rolled her eyes.

Her stark red eyes.

"Ayanami?" I said.

"Huh?" She eyed me strangely; she raised an eyebrow. "What did you say?"

I flinched. "Oh, uh, I don't—sorry, I must be confused, I—"

"Samael?"

"Huh?"

She pulled back her headdress and took off her goggles. Sure enough, there she was—the girl with red eyes and pallid skin. But there, the similarities ended: this girl clucked in disappointment, like an older sister chiding me. "Come on, it's us," she said. "Who else would it be?"

The second woman pulled her hood back, too: it was Horaki. She eyed me strangely, too. "Maybe the sunscreen's getting to him?"

"It'd better not!" said Ayanami, and she looked at me crossly. "Samael, are you feeling all right?"

I laughed nervously, taking off my hood and goggles, too. "I'm fine," I said. "I just have a lot on my mind, I guess."

Ayanami nodded, pursing her lips. "We all do, don't we." She let out a heavy breath, and she looked to the distance—far down the giant escalator to Nerv Headquarters. "But!" she said, brightening, "that's what we're here for, right? We're going to help change that."

"We'll try," said Horaki.

"We will." Ayanami smirked. "Count on it."

What strange and bizarre alternate universe had I walked into?

I struggled with that question as Horaki, Ayanami, and I boarded the escalator down to the heart of Nerv. The girls went back and forth for a bit longer, with Ayanami confident that we would succeed and Horaki more measured and cautious about…well, whatever it was they were talking about. I couldn't really follow everything they were saying, but just how they carried themselves and behaved spoke volumes: this Ayanami spoke with sweeping gestures, but she looked directly at who she was speaking to and nodded along as she listened, never missing a word.

And she laughed.

Horaki said something funny, and Ayanami giggled. She even wiped at her eye to make sure she wasn't crying. What a sight that was to behold.

I can't say I remember what it was Horaki said, but I remember well what happened next: once Ayanami calmed down and caught her breath, she was…different, again. She got a distant look in her eye, and she asked Horaki,

"Do you think they'll go for it?"

Horaki started to look back, but she hesitated. "There's a chance," she said at last.

Ayanami frowned at that, irritated. "They ought to," she insisted.

"Yes," said Horaki, nodding. "They ought to." But she knew those people—whoever they were—might not.

There was a silence for a time. Ayanami closed her eyes, and her irritation turned to pain. She slumped a little bit. The weight of the world was on her, and she could be forgiven for buckling a tiny bit under it.

But she did bear that weight. She gripped the escalator railing, let out a breath, and opened her eyes. She stood straight and tall, and she looked on, eyes unblinking and cool, silent but watchful.

Horaki started talking again, and Ayanami said nothing. She kept that unflinching gaze, and a word—a name—sputtered from my lips.

"Lilith?" I said.

"Yes?" said Ayanami.

My mouth hung open. A faint sound came from my throat, but it was nothing resembling a word.

"Something wrong, Samael?" she said.

I shook my head, but she narrowed her eyes. "Are you sure? You've been awfully quiet."

"It's nothing, really!" I raised my hands. "Honest!"

"Okay…" She kept watching me. "If you say so."

I spent the rest of the escalator ride silent, with Ayanami and Horaki chatting away.

There were seven of us.

Horaki, Ayanami, and I headed to an elevator. Four others were already waiting there: people with the faces of Asuka, Nozomi, Toji, and Kaworu Nagisa. They waved to us, and we boarded the elevator without a word. Kaworu, with his white hair and red eyes, let everyone else on ahead of him. He stood at the front of the elevator cabin. He seemed to be in charge. He wanted to make sure everything was in order. He asked Horaki about some details, for instance:

"Did you make changes to the talk?" he asked Horaki.

"I did." Horaki handed him a flash drive. "Just a few tweaks to my part. I'll handle it."

"Very good." He tugged on his shirt, straightening out a few wrinkles, and he put on a smile for the group. "Everyone ready?" he asked.

"We'd better be," said Toji, who rubbed his arm up and down. "I'd hate for all that pokin' and proddin' to have been for nothin'."

Ayanami laughed. As serious as the mood was, she took it upon herself to lighten it. She sidled up to Toji and shot him a sly look. "So concerned about wasting your DNA all of a sudden? That's not what I've heard."

Who was this person?!

Toji reacted, too, albeit for a different reason. He put both hands in the air, saying, "I ain't got any idea what you're talking about." He snuck an irritated glance at me. "It can't be somebody like Samael's been spreadin' rumors—totally untrue rumors—can it?"

Well, I certainly didn't have anything to do with it.

"I didn't say Samael had anything to do with it," said Ayanami, with a smile that showed Samael had everything to do with it. I could only be glad I wasn't actually Samael, or I would've been in trouble. "Besides," she told Toji, "you should be proud. Survival of the fittest and all that."

Toji's face went through three or four different contortions before settling on a tentative grin. "Yeah!" he said. "Yeah. I should be proud. I am proud. Time like this, if you can help propagate the species and satisfy people doin' it—why not?"

"I don't know if satisfaction is what I've been hearing," said Ayanami, stifling a laugh.

"Hey!"

They went back and forth like this for a short time, with Toji getting increasingly flustered about the whole thing, at least until Nozomi decided to step in—perhaps even in Toji's defense.

"Easy, Lilith." Nozomi touched Ayanami on the shoulder. "He knows your weakness."

"He does?" Ayanami went pale—well, paler than usual. "No he doesn't. Not a chance."

At that, Toji grinned. "Something from Enoch's Bakery? A high-priced, fancy—"

"Don't!" Ayanami pointed a finger at him. "Let's agree to let it go, all right? I don't have a problem with that, and you don't have a problem with spreading your DNA around. Right?"

"This ain't fair when everyone knows about me and I can't say the word cup—"

"Take it easy, both of you," said Horaki, shooting them a stern look. "A little levity is fine, but let's not get carried away."

Ayanami did a faux salute. "Yes, Mom! No joking around, and no cupcakes later!"

Horaki flushed a bit. "Let's not be hasty here. If we can get the Council to go along with the plan, I think one cupcake is only fair, don't you?"

"You two are hopeless," said Toji, and Horaki bowed her head and nodded in reluctant agreement, to the chuckles and laughter of the rest of the room. Ayanami even patted Horaki on the shoulder in joking consolation.

"Let's put on our professional faces, hm?" That was Kaworu, who nodded toward the counter above the elevator door. Sure enough, there was a ding sound, and the doors opened…

To a wide platform with various and strange markings on the floor. Grand windows opened to the rest of the Geofront, with light pouring in from the outside.

This was—in another world—my father's office.

It wasn't my father's office there, though. In that world, rows of chairs had been placed, with no small audience sitting in them. My father was among them, but he was just one of many—which included Ritsuko, Maya, and more.

And from the front row, Misato rose, addressing the seven of us.

"Adam," she said, nodding in acknowledgement. "Thank you for bringing this plan to our attention."

"Of course, Madam President," said Kaworu. "I hope we can explain it clearly for you and for the assembled Councilors."

Two guards near the elevator showed us to a table with seven seats. Asuka took the first seat, then Kaworu, Nozomi, Toji, Horaki, me, and then Ayanami. There was a laptop in front of Kaworu's seat. He slotted in the flash drive Horaki had given him, and to the table's right (as we faced the crowd), a hologram materialized. The image was one of a planet, Earth-like in look—with landmasses and oceans and clouds—but the continents were different.

Kaworu took a handheld clicker in hand, and he circled around the table to the holographic projector. He addressed the room, saying,

"Ladies and gentlemen, Madam President, and members of the Council, good morning. My name is Adam. Our world and our people are in a dire situation, and I know there is not a soul left who doesn't eagerly await a solution, or who isn't working toward one.

"I'm pleased to present a proposal, one that our group at the Global Institute for Metaphysics has painstakingly developed over the past few months from technologies at hand." He gestured to our table. "A few of my colleagues are here today to help discuss the proposal and answer questions."

He clicked on his remote, and the hologram switched to some text.

"Now," he continued, "let me begin. I'll outline our current estimates for the Mainline Geofront proposal, including some of the shortcomings we hoped to address. Then, I'll hand off to one of my colleagues to discuss the Seed proposal we're presenting here, including the timeline for relocation. At the end of the talk, we'll answer your questions.

"But first," he said, clicking his remote once more, "let's discuss the Mainline Geofront proposal."

I won't pretend to be able to keep up with material such as this or to understand all the words. Still, I can tell you what I saw and what I did understand.

What I saw was a world that had been scarred—blasted, as though some angry god had held a burning candle to its side. Kaworu talked over this hologram projection, discussing the loss of entire species on the "irradiated hemisphere" of the planet. He spoke of an increase of cancer incidence worldwide, of crop failures due to a worldwide haze. It would take years—decades, or even more—for the ecosystem to recover.

But they had the Geofronts. They could go underground and save some of their people. They could grow food there and produce enough artificial light to sustain themselves through the dark times above ground.

But, large though an individual Geofront may have been, it was only so big. They could save people—some people. Millions, perhaps. Maybe even a billion or two.

In a world of many billions of people, that is a great sacrifice. And there would be no guarantee that civilization would recover even when the dark night passed.

"So you see," Kaworu concluded, "we at the Global Institute for Metaphysics were tasked to find a new solution, one that could save more lives—without requiring such a steep sacrifice or the inherent unfairness of selecting only a few of out every thousand people to continue civilization. For that explanation, I turn things over to one of my colleagues."

I looked down the right side of the table, toward the projector. Horaki rose, and she circled around the table's front. Kaworu handed over the remote. Then Horaki, standing with poise and solemnity, faced down the crowd.

"Good morning. I'm the lead scientist for Soul Transference Programs and Research at GIMP. My name is Eisheth."

She clicked a button on the remote, and the hologram switched back to a view of the planet, with splotches of light and dark red on the landmasses.

"The red color you see here," said Horaki, "is population density. All of these…"

She clicked the remote again, and dozens and dozens of spheres—filled with red—appeared on the projection.

"These are just a fraction of the Geofronts we'd need to protect ourselves until the ecosystem stabilizes. We don't have the time to invest in that. But, what we can do…"

Click. Back to the world in red.

Red and awash in crosses.

"What we can do," said Horaki, "is store the souls of our people in the Geofronts we already have."

They were madmen. That's what they were. They were going to let themselves all die, harvest their own souls, and find somewhere else to be reincarnated. They'd take the Geofronts to the stars, each with a fraction of their people's souls. The Geofronts carried with them the foundations for life: amino acids, proteins, all of it.

And then, they would wait. They'd wait billions of years for life to evolve from there, for something intelligent enough to take shape. Then, their program would resume: they'd imbue those dumb apes with souls and hijack those animals' primitive lives to carry out this mad survival plan.

Madmen—all of them. People die all the time. It's just a matter of when and how. To force yourself into an alien shape—a container? The idea alone made me shake.

I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Some in the room were skeptical, even hostile. One man, who looked like Professor Fuyutsuki, stood up to pose a question to us, saying,

"You're asking us to accept artificial reincarnation into bodies we can't even imagine right now." He shook his head, baffled with the very concept. "Why would we want to accept that? Many of us have lived good lives. Save the children and those who are absolutely needed to carry on our people. Have you seriously considered how many more Geofronts could be built before we run out of essential supplies?"

Horaki glanced toward my end of the table, and Ayanami rose. "Seven, maybe eight Geofronts," said Ayanami. "That's the best we can do, but Councilor, this question isn't about mathematics, is it?"

At that, the man looking like Fuyutsuki stood there for a moment before nodding in agreement.

"I didn't think so," said Ayanami, who circled the table to stand with Horaki. "This is about something else: about what we want our future to be. I want us to have a future. I want all of us to have a future."

She paced about the projector, peering at a projection of a globe. "I've been around the world," she said. "I've visited people affected by the burst." She put her finger into the projection, touching one spot, one location. "I've been here," she said. "There were some nice people there. I met a family with a boy who wants to be a sprinter." She faced the crowd again. "They know what's going on. They know that, if there's a lottery, there's a low chance they would be saved. They asked me if there were a chance their son could be saved anyway. 'So he can grow up and run,' is what they asked me."

She pressed a hand to the side of her head, as though the memory were a migraine she couldn't shake. That let the crowd chew on the story for a moment, too.

"I don't know how you feel about that," said Ayanami, still holding her head, "but I can't accept that. I can't stand it."

She let out a breath, collecting herself, and put her hand to her side. She froze the room with a hard stare.

"And I won't stand for it, either. I refuse to ask people to lay down and die for their children. What Eisheth and Adam have described to you—our proposal—is a fair solution. It is as fair as it possibly can be. Nearly everyone will bear an equal burden, and an equal chance of living on."

" 'Nearly'?" said Fuyutsuki.

Ayanami held out a hand to Horaki, who handed over the remote. Ayanami flipped through several projections until a white giant with seven eyes appeared on the hologram.

"Someone has to be the shepherd for the souls of our people," said Ayanami, "in bodies that can last the test of time—as long as it takes. These people—these volunteers—should have an understanding of basic metaphysics and metaphysical biology, but more importantly, they should be ready and willing to wait through the long night for this plan to go through."

She waved her arm toward the table.

"Like we are," she said.

My heart clenched. All I could think was no, no, no.

But that was so very like her, wasn't it? As much as it pained me to admit it, it made sense. Even before she ever heard the name Rei Ayanami, she was like that. She did something she thought selfless or necessary, with no regard to how it might hurt herself—or even her friends and family around her. What did they think about that? Had she even asked them?

No, I didn't think she had. Ayanami wasn't one to ask before she made sacrifices. When you believe in something like that—when every cell in your body calls on you to act, to do something—you don't ask other people. You tell them you're going to do it, and only after you're done do you ask them.

You ask for their forgiveness.

Ayanami asked for no forgiveness that day, even as the rest of the politicians and scientists hotly debated the proposal. Eventually, they sent us away to deliberate in private. I'm sure it was important to them, even though I already knew what their decision would be.

With the meeting closed to outsiders, the seven of us went back down on the elevator and toward the Geofront's exits. I followed Ayanami and Horaki the way we came; Kaworu and the others went their separate ways.

Ayanami, for her part, was much quieter than on the way in. She took the lead, standing two steps ahead on the escalator.

"I think that went well," I offered at one point, peering around the side to catch a glimpse of her face.

"Mm, yes," she said, smiling slightly. She looked back at me with the corner of her eye. "I think so, too. I hope so. It's what we need, to give everyone a chance. I hope they can understand that."

"They're not happy about handing things over to us." Horaki stared up the escalator intently. The wheels were turning in her mind. "Even though they should," she said at last. "It's not like we're getting a good end of the deal."

"We're going to help our people survive—all of them," said Ayanami, who looked ahead, too. "What could be more right than that?"

"Saving everyone, including ourselves," said Horaki.

Ayanami rolled her eyes. "You're doing it again."

"Doing what?" said Horaki.

"Being super serious."

"Somebody has to balance you out, you know."

"I was super serious earlier!" said Ayanami, who stomped her foot on the escalator step for good measure.

"Yes." Horaki smiled slightly. "I know."

Ayanami laughed—she giggled, even, and she leaned along the escalator railing, letting some of the weight on her shoulders float away, at least for a time.

And, to tell the truth, I wouldn't have minded to see her like that every once in a while. If I'd had that chance before, I would've enjoyed it.

But Horaki didn't let me enjoy it then—not for long, anyway. She came down one step of the escalator. She touched my shoulder and whispered into my ear. "Don't let that fool you," she told me. "Lilith knew full well what it meant to become a Seed of Life—to give everything of herself for her people."

I sighed, and I looked up the escalator, at Ayanami. "I know she does," I whispered. "I've seen it."

"You have, haven't you?" said Horaki. "That's good. You should learn from the past, Shinji Ikari."

I jolted. I did a double-take. I tried to look back at Horaki, but the escalator was gone. The inside of the Geofront was gone. I was on my own two feet, with hard, immobile sidewalk beneath me. The only thing that moved was the march of demonstrators on the road: they circled National Square with their signs bobbing up and down as they walked. The lead demonstrator kept the crowd chanting blasphemy.

The only being in front of me was the ghost who wore a satin hood.

"You should learn from the past," she said, facing me—though her eyes were covered by the hood. "Seven hearts burned for their brothers and sisters, but all this?" She waved with her sleeves—her hands weren't visible. She waved at the earth and sky. "This didn't fill the holes in their hearts. You're the same, Shinji Ikari."

I looked past the stranger. Ayanami was there, too, watching from a distance, but she was silent. She let me refute the stranger on my own terms.

"I'm trying not to be," I said at last.

The stranger pursed her lips, and she nodded once in deference? Or was it respect?

"You can try," she said, "for all the good it will do, but this is how you were made, how the people who made you were made." She turned her head slightly, indicating Ayanami behind her. "People like Lilith. You can try to overcome that, but you shouldn't be surprised if you don't succeed."

I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. I glanced at the fence—at the black fabric that let only sporadic dots of light come through. I cleared my throat, and I said,

"I don't believe—"

But she was gone. They were gone—Ayanami and the stranger both.

I headed directly home after that, putting the demonstration of Seele sympathizers and visions of…whatever that was behind me. We had Keel Lorenz. It was our job to look forward, to make sure those who identified with him couldn't hurt us, and to prepare for whatever else might come.

I headed to the kitchen, and I started laying out some onions and radishes for a meal. I turned on the TV while I worked. Asuka would be home within the hour.

But what I heard on the TV made my heart sink.

You see, Ayanami showed me something—and it wasn't just her past. It was a lesson to learn, a lesson she and the hooded stranger both thought important: when you act rashly to plug a hole in your heart, you might stop the bleeding there, but something else might fail instead.

Lilith and her colleagues saved their people, but did they think their sacrifices through? Did they sacrifice themselves for the right reasons? Were their actions truly for the best?

And what about me, or Misato? I helped capture Keel Lorenz, but did I really stop to consider everything that might result from that? Misato sent me there to make the world safe again, but did we actually accomplish that?

No, we hadn't. We acted, and we got Lorenz, but there is a saying, right? "Cut the head of a hydra, and two shall take its place?" I don't like to think that evil can never be extinguished, but one must be careful. If you're going to cut the head of a hydra, you should cauterize the wound when you're done.

Misato and I hadn't done that. When I got home and saw the news, I finally understood.

"Late this afternoon," said the presenter on the TV, "officials at the Japanese Consulate in Myanmar confirmed that Kyoji Ishikawa, an employee at a consulting firm in the protectorate, was arrested by Chinese authorities on charges of espionage."

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder if it was Lillith's intention to show him this much, and if the hooded stranger was a memory; or another Progenitor highjacking the stream and communicating with him.
I'm the lead scientist for Soul Transference Programs and Research at GIMP.
Heh.

Time like this, if you can help propagate the specifies and satisfy people doin' it—why not?"
species
What I saw was a world that had been scarred—blasted, as though some angry god ahd held a burning candle to its side.
had
He spoke of increases of cancer incidence worldwide, of crop failures due to a worldwide haze.
'incidences', I think. Or 'incidents' is possible, I suppose.
I'm sure it was important to them, even though I already knew what their decision.
Seems like the sentence got aborted prematurely.
She came down one step of the escalar.
'escalator'?

Interesting. I wonder if it was Lillith's intention to show him this much, and if the hooded stranger was a memory; or another Progenitor highjacking the stream and communicating with him.

Hijacking the stream? Almost makes it sound like Rei put Chronicles of the First Ancestral Race on Netflix for Shinji, but someone added an obnoxious ad to the video.

Hijacking the stream? Almost makes it sound like Rei put Chronicles of the First Ancestral Race on Netflix for Shinji, but someone added an obnoxious ad to the video.
I'm working with the theory that what Lillith did is project a memory of sorts into Shinji's mind in a way it could process the information, so yes; barring more information, I would call it a stream.

Low budget stream: Shinji's brain couldn't even hire new actors! Oh well, I guess they were glad for the work. Poor Fuyutsuki hardly gets any lines in A&T! :V

Nice and unsettling for Shinji to contemplate, Muphrid.

Low budget stream: Shinji's brain couldn't even hire new actors! Oh well, I guess they were glad for the work. Poor Fuyutsuki hardly gets any lines in A&T! :V

I once asked Ayanami for help finding something cute for Asuka and me to enjoy. Ayanami had the powers of a god, after all. Surely she would be able to peer through the fabric of space and time, through all the possibilities of reality, to find a little weekend entertainment.

I made one crucial mistake, though: I didn't specify how she should do this.

We were at the arcade with Toji, Horaki, and Kensuke. Misato and Captain Hyuga were playing chaperones. I'm afraid they, too, got roped into this. You see, when they say, "All the world's a stage," it's not supposed to be taken literally.

Horaki got up from her chair with a glassy look in her eye. She stood atop an adjacent table, looked straight at Toji, and reached her arm out, crying,

"O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

Asuka's jaw dropped. Kensuke dropped a slice of pizza on his plate. Horaki went on like this, and Toji, too, caught the fever. He crouched beside our table, and it was all Asuka could do to slap him before he got too close to her skirt. He didn't even flinch, saying to himself,

"Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?"

I tried shaking him, but he wouldn't snap out of it. I called to Ayanami, "This isn't what I meant!"

She cocked her head. "No?" she said. "Very well. Comedy, then?"

Captain Hyuga shuddered. He faced Misato, put a hand to his head, and cried out,

"Ay me! For aught that I could ever read, could ever hear by tale or history, the course of true love never did run smooth..."

Asuka buried her face in her hands.

Editing changelog

1.3/Project Manoah and 1.4/Blood Rain: excised some long dialogue sections in favor of narration

3.5/Progenitors: corrections as per @Ranma-sensei/#127

3.6/The Cross: initial SV edit pass
  • Less dialogue and more narration in the initial Shinji/Asuka scene and the Misato scene
  • Added some narration to the end of Shinji's conversation with the reporter
  • Trimmed one dialogue line from the initial pass through the arcade

3.8: changed title to "Whole Heart"

Author's notes file: added some material on paragraph and sentence structure, premises, and themes

3.6/The Cross tomorrow.

5. The Governance of Men

Action and tension is really picking up here. Good work!

• "But as hard as " -> "But just as hard as" to indicate that another clause is coming
  • "we could see and hear everything as" implies there's a window. They can't see the actual creatures. You want to communicate that the protagonists can see and hear the results of the walkers' actions, but that's not everything.
  • "they chattered amongst each other the same way we collaborated and strategized—but in high-pitched, unintelligible shrieks." The ordering is confusing. The final clause applies to the first clause, not the second clause, so it seems like it means "we collaborated... in high-pitched shrieks". Suggest reversing the order. "Just as we collaborated and strategized, they chittered in high-pitched shrieks".
  • You seem to be making good use of the dark parallel between the walkers' actions and the survivors' actions. This works well; drive the point home. "We used anything to barricade the doors. They gathered anything and everything in the building that might help them reach us."
  • "Even when we fought them off, they came back." This sentence interrupts the flow of the lever attack and the electric defense. Maybe relocate it?
  • "bringing a satellite phone" bringing is vague. how about "holding up" or "brandishing" or "waving" or "exhibiting" or "extending" or "proffering"?
  • " There was another door to the rest of the building," The way this is introduced suggest that this is the first time anyone has noticed it. I immediately tensed up, worrying that they left it unsecured or unmonitored. It should probably be indicated that that door has a barricade and scouts listening.
  • "fast.If" needs space
  • " a leader emerged:" I really don't like ending a paragraph with a colon, unless you're about to start a list or sequence.
  • " had no qualms about" "qualms" implies either doubt or moral objection. It's not the best word to use for hesitation, unease, or reluctance. Even though the meaning is clear from context, It feels weird to use here.
  • " The residents broke down a barricade" Why are you using "a" here? Is there more than one barricade at this location? This needs to be clearer.
  • - " argued over use of some paint cans." perhaps "argued over the best way to use" or at least "over the use". Also "argued...argued" one needs to be a different word.
  • "back.Organizing" needs a space. The whole two paragraphs need a closer look; they don't flow well.
  • "We went by one of the boilers," too vague. Show what they're actually doing. Suggest "ducked into the gap between two boilers"
  • " their mother is keep them calm" Are they divorced? Most of the time, when it's obviously a family, a man would say "my wife"
  • "I pointed out the two entrances to the floor." Contradicts what's already been said that there's three entrances: two to building stairwells, one to the outside.
  • " the door's lock mechanism " how about "latch" or "strikeplate"
  • "though the woman" What woman? The one most recently mentioned was Asuka. That doesn't make sense, so it must be one of the two others. Too ambiguous.
  • "tried the close the way" -> "tried to close the way"
  • "That was my first look at the thing" He's seen its movement out of the corner of his eye, and he's seen its silhouette outlined in the glare from the flashlight reflection. "First good look"
  • "yelled like a tribal warrior" Too vague and even though you didn't say "Indian" it's clear that's what you're thinking. You can do better. How about "bellowed a wordless battlecry"
  • "The beast swiped and stabbed at her" With one hand or two? Did it hit? If not, why? How fast is it? How was its aim? Needs more detail.
  • "a dropped firefighter's axe" This is the one that Necklace Woman was carrying, right? Then it should be "the" and maybe mentioned earlier as falling to the floor.
  • "cradled its wounds" -> "clutched at its wounds" You can only cradle something you're holding, not a part of you. There is an alternate meaning "wrap" but you can't really wrap yourself.
  • "the building's shadows casting us in alternating light and black," How is the building casting shadows? "The building's exterior lights"?
  • " a film projector." Common term is "movie projector" see Movie projector - Wikipedia as there are other types of film projector.
  • "world had gone black" "dark magenta in color" My first reaction was "Huh?" It makes sense once you know the whole scene though.

I didn't find much to quibble with in this chapter. You write the action very well.
  • "I put those emotions together in the form of a train." Reading this sentence I was confused when I got to the word "form" and had to restart. I completely wasn't expecting the phrase "in the form of". How about "My subconscious synthesized these emotions into a vision of"
  • " my throat closed up like a guillotine coming down." Odd metaphor, a guillotine tends to open up your throat right?
  • "That was far from true for that dreamscape world". Seems odd, I'm not sure what you meant. Things that are true are usually true no matter what world you're in, right? Is it really a different reality with different principles or is it just his feeling?
  • " but the pile was slowly moving. " Not enough detail. Has it come alive and it's flowing on its own? Are the walkers still battering it with a ram? Is it moving continuously or only when the door is rammed?
  • Also, is there a gap between the door and the frame yet? If so, have they tried sneaking an arm in again?
  • "The creatures—each one identical in shape and size as the others" -- wordy. "All the same size and shape" or "each one the same size and shape" or "completely indistinguishable from each other"
  • "when your splashing " -> "when you're splashing"
  • "they're going to win and give up fighting them, then they've already won" -- is there another phrasing possible here? Or a way to indicate a tone of voice?
  • "I ducked, and the creature's" Is there a missing word here, or did you mean "creatures"?
  • "which backed away into another group of residents with mops and brooms." It sounds like the walker joined the group, or that they didn't react as it approached. in the middle of the group? id you mean "backed away into the range of another group's mops and brooms". "Residents" is implicit.
  • "I stumbled over the damaged duct on the floor. I scrambled for footing on the slippery floor," Too repetitive
  • "It didn't give up like that" -> "That didn't mean it gave up;"
  • "cannisters" -> "canisters"
  • " It was from the inside of an SDF armored vehicle that we first heard from a friend in charge." Too many "from"s and "in"s. "The first time that night we heard from someone who was both an authority and a friend, we were crouching inside an armored SDF vehicle, sharing a headset."
  • "Sorry to say it's been an eventful night," This construction is awkward, plus I can't figure out what's intended. Is Misato expressing genuine human sorrow for what Shinji & Asuka have gone through, offering a perfunctory insincere apology, ironically making a joke, complaining that she's had a rough night, apologizing for her failure in not getting help to them sooner, or commiserating with them about being in the same horrible situation?

3.6 The Cross
18. The Cross

After dinner, Asuka and I watched the news for a time.

The prime minister promised great intelligence from Lorenz, and that interrogators would be working "day and night" to gain information that would dismantle Seele.

Seele put out a propaganda video claiming that even without Lorenz, they would show us the true way and all that.

But what struck me most was footage of SDF guards standing watch at National Square. Two guards stood at the gate with their rifles strapped over their shoulders. They faced straight ahead in the fading light, as rows of protestors decried them and hurled all manner of insults at them.

After all, those men were trained to stand there and be unflinching.

And there was no shortage of pundits to talk about the arrest of Kyoji Ishikawa. Would Japan offer a swap of spies to mollify the Chinese? Would they disavow him and leave the man to face trial and possible execution to protect a covert operation?

I left Asuka to work and watch the news on her own, and I retired to the bedroom once more. I turned the light on at my desk. I drummed my fingers on the desk's edge for a time.

I picked up the phone. I dialed, but the answer on the other end wasn't what I was looking for.

"Hello, you've reached the private line for General Katsuragi," the machine said in Misato's voice. "I'm not home right now, but you can leave a message after the tone, and the next time we talk, I promise you more—"

I hung up. Where exactly would she be at that time of night?

I went to the closet and put on my jacket. There was a torrent coming down out there, after all. Asuka wondered where I was going. I told her I left something at the base.

" 'Something,' huh?" was the response she gave me. She closed the lid on her laptop, staring at me. "Is that it?" she asked.

I nodded, and I said I'd call her when I got there.

She frowned, but she angled the laptop lid back open and said nothing more. Only then did I breathe again. Only then did I dare to go.

And so I headed out, down the elevator and through the lobby to street level, and like the SDF members at Ground Zero, I braved the darkness, too.

It's very different, going to the base at night.

In peacetime, the base was like any other office building—putting aside that it was underground, of course. A few people might've been working overtime, and there was a small team on watch in the control room, keeping the lights on and the coffee makers hot, but beyond that, it was quiet. The hallway lights hadn't dimmed, but when you can hear your own footsteps echoing, you just know you're far, far more alone than you should be.

I stopped by the general's office. The lights were off on the lobby—no doubt the secretary had long since retired for the day—but there was a glow from underneath Misato's door. I knocked.

A pen was put down, and four quick steps signaled the occupant's approach.

"Shinji?" She blinked a couple times. "What are you doing still here?"

I could've asked her the same question, but I let it be. I told her I'd accidentally taken a sensitive file and needed to return it, and I'd "just noticed" that her light was on. "Still got work to do?" I asked her.

Misato sighed at that, and she started rubbing her neck. "It's about that Naicho agent," she explained to me. Ishikawa's capture was still rippling through the Japanese government, and Misato had no kind words for the Chinese about it. "They're being remarkably petty, considering we did them a favor."

"Anything you can do to get him out?" I asked her. "He seemed decent."

She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. For the moment, it was up to the diplomats, but Misato wasn't confident they'd make much headway. "They'll soon realize the Chinese aren't interested in an amicable solution…" Misato folded her arms and leaned against the doorframe. "Then it'll be my turn to negotiate." She smirked. "And we'll put the screws to them; don't you worry. I'll see to that."

I peered around her. There was a cup of soup steaming on the desk's corner. A stack of papers went half a meter high. Misato was more than prepared to spend time getting Ishikawa back or sticking it to the Chinese. She was there, wasn't she? She was there to fight the good fight and all that.

"Maybe you could stand a break?" I offered.

Misato glanced at her soup cup on the desk corner. "Probably a good idea, right?" She waved me inside. I took the seat across from her, and we talked. We talked a lot, and it was, perhaps, the first long talk we'd had since Instrumentality's end. I learned a great deal about Misato that evening—stuff I never would've imagined before, and I'd known her for almost three years by that point. For the first time, I really saw her as a general. It was easier for me to see that when I wasn't the one she was commanding—not directly, anyway. Before, we'd worked as a team to fight Angels. Here, she had a much larger battle to fight. I saw how that affected her, from the emptiness of her office to how deliberately she stirred her soup.

We talked about matters of little consequence for a time. Misato told me a bit about how interrogations of Lorenz and his men were going. She was a frustrated that they were so tight-lipped, but she took no small amount of glee at the idea of coercing them into spilling their secrets.

"The best part," she told me, "is when you can convince them that telling you something is in their interest. Everybody wants something: fine food, contact with loved ones—something." She pointed a finger at me, as though I were a student who'd do well not to forget. "You give them that. That's your word, after all. But you make sure that whatever you're giving them is a small price to pay—for us, anyway. A bigger price for them." She sat back in her chair and grinned wildly. "And never forget the look on their faces when they realize the price they had to pay, hm?"

She delighted in it. She relished it. Perhaps it's natural, but human beings should not take glee in such things, I think. I would've much preferred to hear that she'd found joy in nighttime drives outside the city, or something to that effect, but that wasn't how she was—not when left to her own devices, anyway.

But, if someone offered her a way out, maybe she would take it. I asked Misato to dinner, and she about dropped her soup spoon.

"Dinner?" she said, laughing in surprise. "What did you have in mind?"

"Just, you know," I said with a shrug. "Something simple: you, me, and Asuka—just like old times. I'll cook."

"Aha!" Misato laughed, and she wagged a finger at me. "That'd be a nice blast from the past, right? But really now, you're adults. Maybe not in the eyes of the law, but you've gone through enough to deserve it. You two don't need a guardian barging in on what you do anymore."

But I didn't accept that. I kept pressing. I said she could make it a date--take Hyuga, say. He was good company, right?

She wasn't biting. She was evasive. She left her spoon in the cup and started scanning through a file folder. "There's really no telling when this will let up," she said.

I scoffed. "How long is that going to be? Months? Years? You can't just work-work-work nonstop until then."

"Of course I can," she said, not even looking up. "I'm a soldier."

She was a soldier. A soldier didn't have time for games. A soldier didn't have time to act out the fantasy of a lovestruck schoolgirl. Those could wait until the war was over.

And I—I just couldn't accept that. I refused to accept it. I rose from the guest chair and I said it right to her face! "Misato," I told her, "you're not alone in this."

She looked at me with a gram of surprise, but she just shook her head. She shook her head like I was a child, and compared to her, I was.

"No, Shinji." She closed a folder, and she opened her arms wide. "Look around," she said. "Is your father here? Is the vice commander here? Or Ritsuko? No, no, and no. They all left. They all stayed in the sea." She put a hand to her chest. "I'm here."

"And so am I," I told her.

"And I'm thankful for that," she said, smiling in gratitude. "But Shinji, there are a lot of people out there who just don't get it yet."

Like the Chinese. Didn't I remember them? Didn't I remember the ambassador's gate I'd started breaking down with my own hands? The Chinese government didn't take the threat seriously. And they weren't the only ones.

"There are a lot of people out there who'd rather bury their heads in the sand," said Misato. "They're worse than the likes of Seele, and you know why? Because Seele at least understands that what's coming is the apocalypse."

She shook her head and exhaled—a tired, weary response. She took in hand her cross pendant, which had been hanging around the desk lamp. She rubbed her fingers along the bloody spot on the pendant, and she said,

"Don't worry about me, Shinji. You have a life to live. Most of what I once had—that's already been taken away. There's a disease of denial running rampant through this world, and if it comes down to someone like me to spread the cure, that's not such a bad thing, is it?"

"Misato—" I began, but she put a finger to her lips and shushed me.

"You have a life to live," she insisted. "Me? Death has been etched into my mind since I was younger than you. If one of us here has to put their life on hold for this, it should be me, don't you think?"

"And after this?" I asked her. "After the Angels are gone again, what then?"

Misato stared at me for a moment, wide-eyed. She looked around, as though there could be an answer in the walls, but none was forthcoming. Instead, she glanced at the open folder on her desk, straightened herself up to read it, and pretended to begin.

"I'm a soldier," she said, scanning over a report. "I'm just a piece in this game. Who cares what happens to me?"

Who cared indeed?

Let's say there was one person—one person in the whole world who cared what became of Misato Katsuragi. Would that person have left a cup of soup half full to go cold? Would that person keep working at twenty minutes to midnight in a cool, deserted building hundreds of meters underground? Would that person have nothing of personal value on her desk but the pendant that put her on this path oh-so-many years before?

No, not at all. That pendant was stained in her blood, and she kept going anyway. If there were one person in the world who cared what became of Misato Katsuragi, then there's one thing that could be sure:

It wasn't Misato Katsuragi herself.

And if that was how she wanted to be, what could I do to stop her?

So I left her there. I left Misato to her work, and I headed home—back along the empty train to National Square and then through the rain above ground. When I got back to our apartment, I flung my jacket's hood back and cast off the water. I hung it up to dry and traded my shoes for slippers, trudging back into the apartment.

The lights were off in the main room, so I went to wash up for the night. I squirted a blob of toothpaste on my brush and did that whole routine. Stroke, stroke, stroke. I bet nobody even thought about that, at the time. Is it really a priority to fight tooth decay when you're fighting a war against Angels for your very survival? Not a chance. It's almost pointless. It doesn't matter, but someone will complain about your breath if you don't.

"Did you get that thing?" Asuka's voice called to me from the dark bedroom. "Or whatever it was."

I put the toothbrush down and leaned with both hands on the counter, bowing my head. "No," I said.

"Was anybody there? Misato?"

"Yes, Misato was there."

"Working, right?"

"Yes, she—" I choked on my words. I shuddered. I put both hands on the counter to support myself.

Sheets rustled in the bedroom, and Asuka climbed out of bed, leaning on the washroom doorframe. Her mouth was slightly open, and she peered at me in the mirror.

"Shinji?"

"Sorry. Misato—she's—" I coughed. "I'm not sure she's doing too well."

"I know." Asuka put a hand on my shoulder. "It's pretty obvious." She smiled sadly. "Come to bed."

"Asuka…"

"What is it?"

I took her fingers in my hand. "How was your mom's birthday?"

Her breath caught, and Asuka took me in her arms, holding me from behind. "Not bad," she said wistfully. "I thought it'd be nice to hold a special dinner."

"You made fish buns?"

Asuka flinched. "No!" she insisted.

I shot her a look, and she glanced away.

"I am going to make something else!" Her eyes wandered about the washroom as she thought. "Something…next year."

"Do you want me to teach you?" I said, chuckling.

She pouted. "You can teach, but I will make something for my mother by myself, when the time comes. Deal?"

"Deal. You want to do that soon? This weekend, maybe?"

"Oh God no. I'm not going near the kitchen for a month if I can help it. The stove is trying to kill me; I'm sure of it."

"It's not alive!" I said with a laugh. "But fine, something else then?"

Asuka cocked her head. "Could go to the arcade. Make it a party—get Nozomi and Hikari, Aida and Suzuhara and his sister. Let's have a good time, right?" She smiled. "Just see people," she said. "See people, and have a good time. We can do that—you and me, and everyone else."

I nodded. "Thank you, Asuka. I needed that."

Asuka leaned in, and she whispered in my ear, "This is what I can do for you, Shinji. It's okay if you need me for that. I'll be here."

She gave me a quick peck on the cheek—just in case I didn't get the message.

"Now finish what you're doing and get to bed, huh? It's late."

I started washing the toothbrush in the sink, and Asuka headed back to the bedroom.

"Oh, and Shinji?" she called back.

"What?"

"Was I right about this, or was I not?"

I froze. "Does this count for that?"

"It does."

I winced. "Do you want to tonight?"

"I've got to be at the base early. You?"

"Same."

"Tomorrow, then. Make sure you clean that thing right this time. Last time it was your turn, I found stuff on it and had to fix that before we got started."

I hung my head at that. "I'll take care of it!"

"Good."

I took one look in the mirror, eyes wide, and I squeezed out another dollop of toothpaste to brush my teeth again.

The next day, Asuka and I arrived at the base around 0630, and already the general was in her office working, with her secretary on duty and all.

Truth be told, I spent most of the day looking forward to the evening. We had more pilot training to do—both with Nozomi and with the backups—and I struggled to stay with it at times. I made some mistakes, like telling the Mitsuzuri boy to attack his simulation target instead of evade. I could write that off as a worthwhile test, sure, and no one else seemed to mind too much.

You don't have to be perfect in this line of work. We strove to be good and be right, but you could spend a lot of time in search of perfection and not get anywhere. And after all I'd done, do you think a day of being a little off could be excused?

What I was looking forward to—aside from Asuka exercising her privileges for being right—was a trip to the arcade with Nozomi.

I stopped by the arcade to make arrangements for our party. I wasn't sure if the arcade would accommodate us because, in that time, the arcade was very popular. I'm not really sure why. You wouldn't think it'd make sense for people to throw money away regularly at those rigged UFO capture games, or for precious materials and electricity to be spent on running an arcade or making the prizes.

But in spite of the facts, I'd heard from Kensuke that the place was often packed, and that day was no exception. Students from a half-dozen schools seemed to make the arcade a second home. Adults stopped by, too, either to accompany children or to try their hand at the games themselves. I remember one man in rags trying desperately to win some snacks from the claw machine. He did win, on his third try, and the look on his face as he bit into the candy bar was one of sweet relief. The place was a salvation, in that sense, and the spectacle of flashing lights and triumphant chimes gave the arcade a friendly feel. It was, perhaps, the only place in Tokyo-2 that really felt alive.

Then again, maybe it's telling that the only such place was one populated by virtual characters and artificial voices.

But for an afternoon, I thought it'd be a nice reprieve, and it gave me a chance to spend time with Nozomi again.

Nozomi, for her part, seemed a little less than at ease amid all the flashing lights and the cacophony of sounds. Every time something unexpected happened, she twitched or jumped in surprise.

"You know, Ikari," she said, steering clear of a game of Mortal Wombat, "I'm not sure arcades are really my thing."

That would've been a shame. Asuka and I had really hoped that it would be fun for her. A party with all of us was, well, long overdue, really.

"Not sure I'm much help for party planning, either," she said, ducking around a server with a stack of pizza boxes. "If you brought me here for feedback, I don't think I have much."

"If you want to go somewhere else, we can," I offered.

"Don't you have a party to plan?"

"Planning can wait if it needs to."

At that, Nozomi cracked a smile. "You're too old for me, Ikari."

I gawked. "Nozomi…"

"I'm just saying, Ikari, if you wanna take a girl on a date, you could ask her where she wants to go." She twirled a pencil between her fingers idly. "And as far as where I would want to go, you still owe me some time as my student."

"I won't miss it this time; I promise."

"You sure?"

I put my hands in my pockets and looked around. "Yeah," I said. "I shouldn't have forgotten in the first place. I let something else get in the way. I'm sorry."

Nozomi sighed and nodded. "Thanks," she said, "and now forget about it. You've got a party to plan, and since I'm already here…" She glanced around the arcade. "I'm gonna scout out some good places for photos. Aida's been doing some of that; I think he'd like it if we had some good positions in mind."

"You're the best, Nozomi," I said, nodding in thanks.

She scoffed at that, and she waved her pencil in mild disagreement as she went off to scout. "Maybe," she said.

I let Nozomi do a round or two around the arcade, and I went back to my own business. I asked the manager about having a small party at the arcade, and he seemed receptive to the idea. All we had to do was pay a small fee in advance. He seemed agreeable enough, but given the cross look he gave to some customers milling about, I can only guess he felt a lot of people came in without spending as much as he would've hoped.

I told the man I'd get back to him about the exact number—we still had to see if Toji would bring his sister—and I left the counter to track down Nozomi. I hoped we'd find a good spot for the party to take place. If games we liked were too far away, it would be inconvenient, but if there were no place to sit and talk while we ate, that'd be even worse.

But as I searched for Nozomi, I overheard a boy and girl at one of the light gun games:

"Okay, when we get to this next part," the boy began, "take care of everything on the right. There will be two zombie walkers, three shooters, and a crane throwing an exploding barrel. Got it?"

"Got it," said the girl, raising the plastic gun's sights to her eye.

The game's next sequence started, and both players sprayed the screen with invisible bullets. The girl, despite her inexperience with this game, handled her assignment well: bang-bang-bang-bang. Four shots destroyed the zombie walkers, and she lined up a quick hit to the exploding barrel; it detonated, and a handful of shooters disintegrated in a toxic green flame.

But the boy? He took two claws to the face, and his screen started counting down as it asked for more money.

"What happened?" asked the girl.

"I sucked." The boy dropped the light gun back into its holder with a showy, exaggerated motion. "Damn runners."

"Runners? Why didn't you say that before? I could've helped."

"You would've fallen behind."

The girl fired off three shots, and a behemoth zombie toppled over, rattling the screen as it disintegrated. The stage was cleared, and the game started tallying up the score. The girl took her eye off the screen, shooting her friend a look as she brought the light gun to her waist.

The boy looked aside, hands in his pockets, and said nothing.

The party was something welcome to look forward to, but everything else that was going on in the world was not. When I got to my office the next morning, I found out just how bad the situation had become: Misato and the Chinese had resorted to playing an international game of chicken. Misato had arranged for MSDF ships to pass near artificial islands the Chinese had built, deliberately skirting the edge of a disputed territorial waters claim. The Chinese, in turn, had sent more than one naval group right up to Japan's territorial waters. The two sides were intent on daring the other to respond with force, hoping that the international community would side with them as an "innocent" actor in this nonsense.

I can't speak for what the Chinese were thinking, but Misato's reasoning was clear: the Chinese were at fault. If we'd violated their sovereignty, it was for an act in service of mankind, and the Chinese should've been grateful. Instead, they'd abducted one of our people, and Misato wasn't going to let that go, even if it meant going to the brink of war.

"Never forget," she said at one briefing, "if the Chinese attack our forces or violate our territory, they will have more than just SDF to reckon with. The might of a god is on our side."

The Eva. She meant to use the Eva—not to fight a ground war in China, but as a defense, as a weapon of last resort to punish Chinese aggression. She could cloak her intentions in defensive words like "protection" and "deterrence," but even a shield allows a knight to pick fights he might otherwise avoid.

Misato's course was etched in stone, with the grooves filled in with molten steel for good measure. I wasn't the only one who tried to reach her. Asuka spent a good hour at lunch one day trying to shift Misato's thinking. It was no use. The conflict Misato had prepared for seemed inevitable, and she would go into it ready—professionally and personally—to sacrifice whatever was necessary to achieve her ends.

And since Asuka and I had both struck out with Misato, I turned to the only other person who could reach her. As I sat in my office with file folders about Chinese ships and naval helicopters, I said a name out loud, even though no one else was in the room with me.

"Ayanami."

Silence.

"Ayanami," I said again, staring past my computer monitor. "I know you can hear me. I know you're watching."

Nothing. The air was still. A speck of dust floated in front of me.

"Ayanami," I said once more, rising from my seat, "if there is a lesson Misato should learn from you, maybe you need to tell her that. If there's a piece of you that is the same as the Ayanami from before—if you meant to ask her and Horaki and me to come back for something—I think you should follow through with that. Don't let us go the wrong way."

And still, there was only the sound of my computer's fan humming.

I sat back down, sighing, and I closed the folder on my desk to go to the next: a briefing on maritime Eva operations. I flipped open the folder and began, but my eyes didn't process the dry descriptions of military hardware. Instead, a set of words flashed into my mind.

I won't abandon you.

I glanced around. There was no sign of her, and yet the impression was clear to me.

And that wasn't the only one.

You could destroy yourselves otherwise.

And though I scowled upon understanding that second impression, there was a hint of truth to it as well. I wouldn't have admitted it to anyone, but we were sitting on a precipice, and we could easily fall.

A Chinese submarine breached Japanese territorial waters the next day.

Last edited:
I told her I left something at the base.

" 'Something,' huh?" was the response she gave me. She closed the lid on her laptop, staring at me. "Is that it?" she asked.

I nodded, and I said I'd call her when I got there.

She frowned, but she angled the laptop lid back open and said nothing more. Only then did I breathe again. Only then did I dare to go.
Shinji, unless something's changed radically, you are still one of the worst liars in the world. She can tell, and you can tell she knows. You must have some idea how lucky you are that she loves you, and is willing to let you go do whatever it is that's so important that you have to go out in the middle of the night, but is awkward enough you feel the need to tell her a blatant, weak lie about it. You are a lucky, lucky man and you better make this up to her.
She delighted in it. She relished it. Perhaps it's natural, but human beings should not take glee in such things, I think. I would've much preferred to hear that she'd found joy in nighttime drives outside the city, or something to that effect, but that wasn't how she was—not when left to her own devices, anyway.
Keel masterminded a plot that killed three billion, more people in one move than all the Maos, Stalins, Hitlers, and Genghis Khans of all history put together. Misato finding joy in bad things happening to very bad people is not a bad thing.
She wasn't biting. She was evasive. She left her spoon in the cup and started scanning through a file folder. "There's really no telling when this will let up," she said.

I scoffed. "How long is that going to be? Months? Years? You can't just work-work-work nonstop until then."

"Of course I can," she said, not even looking up. "I'm a soldier."

She was a soldier. A soldier didn't have time for games. A soldier didn't have time to act out the fantasy of a lovestruck schoolgirl. Those could wait until the war was over.
And the war never ends. Damn it, Misato. You took refuge in the soldier after Kaji got himself killed, but... you shouldn't lock yourself in there. You're hurting so deeply Shinji can see it plain as anything. You're a soldier, and you're doing important things... but you don't have to punish yourself like this, or hide from dealing with your pain.
"No, Shinji." She closed a folder, and she opened her arms wide. "Look around," she said. "Is your father here? Is the vice commander here? Or Ritsuko?
I notice what name you didn't put on that list, Misato. I wonder if Shinji did too.
"You have a life to live," she insisted. "Me? Death has been etched into my mind since I was younger than you. If one of us here has to put their life on hold for this, it should be me, don't you think?"
:( Misato... you are not a plague carrier. Your father and Kaji died, yes, but that doesn't mean you should... hide like this.
"And after this?" I asked her. "After the Angels are gone again, what then?"

Misato stared at me for a moment, wide-eyed. She looked around, as though there could be an answer in the walls, but none was forthcoming. Instead, she glanced at the open folder on her desk, straightened herself up to read it, and pretended to begin.

"I'm a soldier," she said, scanning over a report. "I'm just a piece in this game. Who cares what happens to me?"
Kaji, you bloody death-seeking idiot. You left her. You left her alone right after she got you back. Now all she has left is the fight.
And if that was how she wanted to be, what could I do to stop her?
God damn it, Shinji. You could say 'I do'! You think she wants to hurt like this? Yes, you're not the god all those people pray you are, you can't bring him back, but... you can still help her not feel like this.
Asuka leaned in, and she whispered in my ear, "This is what I can do for you, Shinji. It's okay if you need me for that. I'll be here."

She gave me a quick peck on the cheek—just in case I didn't get the message.
You really better treat her like a princess, Shinji. And Asuka, you rock.
I winced. "Do you want to tonight?"

"I've got to be at the base early. You?"

"Same."

"Tomorrow, then. Make sure you clean that thing right this time. Last time it was your turn, I found stuff on it and had to fix that before we got started."
I agreed, and I promised to call Toji about it before dinner and Asuka's privileges.
I have the strong feeling the answer to all this implication isn't nearly as lewd as we think it is... but then again, it could be. :p

Keel masterminded a plot that killed three billion, more people in one move than all the Maos, Stalins, Hitlers, and Genghis Khans of all history put together. Misato finding joy in bad things happening to very bad people is not a bad thing.

That's true. At the same time, I think Shinji would be more at ease if she were finding some joy from other sources as well. I think it's more about this one thing monopolizing all of Misato's time and energy, and less about whether Lorenz is getting his just dessert.

I should long be in bed, but couldn't resist...
Shinji, unless something's changed radically, you are still one of the worst liars in the world. She can tell, and you can tell she knows. You must have some idea how lucky you are that she loves you, and is willing to let you go do whatever it is that's so important that you have to go out in the middle of the night, but is awkward enough you feel the need to tell her a blatant, weak lie about it. You are a lucky, lucky man and you better make this up to her.
I was frankly of the impression that she pretty quickly decided he was gonna check on Misato - her question when he gets home even seems to support this.

I should long be in bed, but couldn't resist...
I was frankly of the impression that she pretty quickly decided he was gonna check on Misato - her question when he gets home even seems to support this.
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure she figured it out or made a close guess. Asuka knows how to read Shinji like a book by now. She knows there's a very short list of people that Shinji will worry about so bad he wanders around in the middle of the night for, and she's already sitting right there. When he says he's going to their base, that pretty much leaves only Misato.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure she figured it out or made a close guess. Asuka knows how to read Shinji like a book by now. She knows there's a very short list of people that Shinji will worry about so bad he wanders around in the middle of the night for, and she's already sitting right there. When he says he's going to their base, that pretty much leaves only Misato.

Yeah, I think she picks it up pretty quickly, and Shinji not talking about it is complicated. It's like they have a thing going where they know what the other is saying without saying it aloud, and in Asuka's case, she's learned to be patient enough to give Shinji space until he's ready to talk about what's bothering him--to a point, at least.

Indeed. One of the things I like very much about this Asuka is that she has learned when to give Shinji some space, but she will also whack him over the back of the head when she has to. And he has learned that she will back him up and care for him no matter what, and that she will let him talk things out at his own pace, but again with a limit for when he gets stuck in his slowly going in depressive circles mode.

They fit each other quite well.

Yeah, it's one of the things I enjoy writing: an established relationship, where the obstacles faced aren't about people realizing they're in love as much as learning to live with another person, facing problems together, and so on. Judging by some company here, I don't think I'm alone in that regard. I hope that basic direction continues to be enjoyable, especially as this arc winds down in a couple weeks and we can press forward to (drumroll please) the Asuka arc.

Now, to a belated response on some suggestions:

Action and tension is really picking up here. Good work!

Thank you again. I will refrain from commenting on anything that is accepted and reasonably straightforward.

• "But as hard as " -> "But just as hard as" to indicate that another clause is coming
  • "we could see and hear everything as" implies there's a window. They can't see the actual creatures. You want to communicate that the protagonists can see and hear the results of the walkers' actions, but that's not everything.
  • "they chattered amongst each other the same way we collaborated and strategized—but in high-pitched, unintelligible shrieks." The ordering is confusing. The final clause applies to the first clause, not the second clause, so it seems like it means "we collaborated... in high-pitched shrieks". Suggest reversing the order. "Just as we collaborated and strategized, they chittered in high-pitched shrieks".
  • You seem to be making good use of the dark parallel between the walkers' actions and the survivors' actions. This works well; drive the point home. "We used anything to barricade the doors. They gathered anything and everything in the building that might help them reach us."
  • "Even when we fought them off, they came back." This sentence interrupts the flow of the lever attack and the electric defense. Maybe relocate it?

I've made several changes to this passage, consolidating a few paragraphs and reinforcing the parallels between the human residents and the creatures. The sentence you felt out of place has been removed in favor of a smoother (I hope) transition.
  • " There was another door to the rest of the building," The way this is introduced suggest that this is the first time anyone has noticed it. I immediately tensed up, worrying that they left it unsecured or unmonitored. It should probably be indicated that that door has a barricade and scouts listening.

Done, and there is now more narration about Shinji and the group weighing the prospects. It's emphasized that the interior door is considered unsafe due to the tight quarters that the scouts might have to fight in.

• "The beast swiped and stabbed at her" With one hand or two? Did it hit? If not, why? How fast is it? How was its aim? Needs more detail.

This has been restructured significantly. The beast merely swipes at her, and it now catches a tuft of Asuka's hair. Asuka loses her footing as a result.

I didn't find much to quibble with in this chapter. You write the action very well.

My thanks again.

• "That was far from true for that dreamscape world". Seems odd, I'm not sure what you meant. Things that are true are usually true no matter what world you're in, right? Is it really a different reality with different principles or is it just his feeling?

I've restructured this somewhat, trying to emphasize that Shinji feels no hope from the projector's light.

Yeah, it's one of the things I enjoy writing: an established relationship, where the obstacles faced aren't about people realizing they're in love as much as learning to live with another person, facing problems together, and so on. Judging by some company here, I don't think I'm alone in that regard. I hope that basic direction continues to be enjoyable, especially as this arc winds down in a couple weeks and we can press forward to (drumroll please) the Asuka arc.
Indeed, you aren't alone in that at all. I look forward to that arc, too.

It's nice to see a mature relationship depicted. That's not common enough even in commercial media.

After taking some time to review the next installment, I am presently of the mind that the next chapter should be scrapped and retroactive edits made to 3.6/The Cross.

The primary reason for this is a clumsy plot point. In an earlier draft, Shinji interactions with the reporter made the Japanese involvement in Lorenz's capture public knowledge, catalyzing the instability to follow. Over subsequent drafts, I tried to back away from this point, using the spy Ishikawa as a bone of contention instead. Still, the vestiges of this plot point remained, and I had intended to use them to spur on a second appeal to Misato before the conclusion of the arc.

Instead, I've begun to feel that the plot point cannot be adequately handled. In the current draft, Shinji would not get an opportunity to talk with the reporter. Misato would have snuffed it out and suspended him for his actions, which would have jeopardized security of the project. But, Shinji plays a vital role in the final battle, and it would end up necessary, however implausible, that Shinji would be reinstated. I began to feel that was too implausible to consider. Moreover, I also began to feel that the conversation with Misato would not add to the progression of her character arc.

Still, there is something I considered essential in the next segment, which is a reconciliation between Shinji and Nozomi.

With all that in mind, I present two passages. The first modifies Shinji's visit to the arcade to include Nozomi. The second takes the place of what came after the arcade: instead of Shinji talking to the reporter, we continue onward.

Arcade modification
Then again, maybe it's telling that the only such place was one populated by virtual characters and artificial voices.

But for an afternoon, I thought it'd be a nice reprieve, and it gave me a chance to spend time with Nozomi again.

Nozomi, for her part, seemed a little less than at ease amid all the flashing lights and the cacophony of sounds. Every time something unexpected happened, she twitched or jumped in surprise.

"You know, Ikari," she said, steering clear of a game of Mortal Wombat, "I'm not sure arcades are really my thing."

That would've been a shame. Asuka and I had really hoped that it would be fun for her. A party with all of us was, well, long overdue, really.

"Not sure I'm much help for party planning, either," she said, ducking around a server with a stack of pizza boxes. "If you brought me here for feedback, I don't think I have much."

"If you want to go somewhere else, we can," I offered.

"Don't you have a party to plan?"

"Planning can wait if it needs to."

At that, Nozomi cracked a smile. "You're too old for me, Ikari."

I gawked. "Nozomi…"

"I'm just saying, Ikari, if you wanna take a girl on a date, you could ask her where she wants to go." She twirled a pencil between her fingers idly. "And as far as where I would want to go, you still owe me some time as my student."

"I won't miss it this time; I promise."

"You sure?"

I put my hands in my pockets and looked around. "Yeah," I said. "I shouldn't have forgotten in the first place. I let something else get in the way. I'm sorry."

Nozomi sighed and nodded. "Thanks," she said, "and now forget about it. You've got a party to plan, and since I'm already here…" She glanced around the arcade. "I'm gonna scout out some good places for photos. Aida's been doing some of that; I think he'd like it if we had some good positions in mind."

"You're the best, Nozomi," I said, nodding in thanks.

She scoffed at that, and she waved her pencil in mild disagreement as she went off to scout. "Maybe," she said.

I let Nozomi do a round or two around the arcade, and I went back to my own business. I asked the manager about having a small party at the arcade, and he seemed receptive to the idea. All we had to do was pay a small fee in advance. He seemed agreeable enough, but given the cross look he gave to some customers milling about, I can only guess he felt a lot of people came in without spending as much as he would've hoped.

After the arcade
The party was something welcome to look forward to, but everything else that was going on in the world was not. When I got to my office the next morning, I found out just how bad the situation had become: Misato and the Chinese had resorted to playing an international game of chicken. Misato had arranged for MSDF ships to pass near artificial islands the Chinese had built, deliberately skirting the edge of a disputed territorial waters claim. The Chinese, in turn, had sent more than one naval group right up to Japan's territorial waters. The two sides were intent on daring the other to respond with force, hoping that the international community would side with them as an "innocent" actor in this nonsense.

I can't speak for what the Chinese were thinking, but Misato's reasoning was clear: the Chinese were at fault. If we'd violated their soverignty, it was for an act in service of mankind, and the Chinese should've been grateful. Instead, they'd abducted one of our people, and Misato wasn't going to let that go, even if it meant going to the brink of war.

"Never forget," she said at one briefing, "if the Chinese attack our forces or violate our territory, they will have more than just SDF to reckon with. The might of a god is on our side."

The Eva. She meant to use the Eva—not to fight a ground war in China, but as a defense, as a weapon of last resort to punish Chinese aggression. She could cloak her intentions in defensive words like "protection" and "deterrence," but even a shield allows a knight to pick fights he might otherwise avoid.

Misato's course was etched in stone, with the grooves filled in with molten steel for good measure. I wasn't the only one who tried to reach her. Asuka spent a good hour at lunch one day trying to shift Misato's thinking. It was no use. The conflict Misato had prepared for seemed inevitable, and she would go into it ready—professionally and personally—to sacrifice whatever was necessary to achieve her ends.

And since Asuka and I had both struck out with Misato, I turned to the only other person who could reach her. As I sat in my office with file folders about Chinese ships and naval helicopters, I said a name out loud, even though no one else was in the room with me.

"Ayanami."

Silence.

"Ayanami," I said again, staring past my computer monitor. "I know you can hear me. I know you're watching."

Nothing. The air was still. A speck of dust floated in front of me.

"Ayanami," I said once more, rising from my seat, "if there is a lesson Misato should learn from you, maybe you need to tell her that. If there's a piece of you that is the same as the Ayanami from before—if you meant to ask her and Horaki and me to come back for something—I think you should follow through with that. Don't let us go the wrong way."

And still, there was only the sound of my computer's fan humming.

I sat back down, sighing, and I closed the folder on my desk to go to the next: a briefing on maritime Eva operations. I flipped open the folder and began, but my eyes didn't process the dry descriptions of military hardware. Instead, a set of words flashed into my mind.

I won't abandon you.

I glanced around. There was no sign of her, and yet the impression was clear to me.

And that wasn't the only one.

You could destroy yourselves otherwise.

And though I scowled upon understanding that second impression, there was a hint of truth to it as well. I wouldn't have admitted it to anyone, but we were sitting on a precipice, and we could easily fall.

A Chinese submarine breached Japanese territorial waters the next day.

If these passages do not feel satisfactory, I can consider putting forth the alternative, which is about 2000 words of followup to the reporter plotline before we start toward the finale.

Last edited:
They do feel pretty good. I'd have to agree that Misato would not like Shinji just haring off on his own to break security like that, especially after she rescued him after his little incident at the Chinese Embassy. It would cause a split in their relationship that, while plausible, would really crimp further development in any good way.

Editing changelog

1.5/The Governance of Men and 1.6/Vision: polish edits per @FourDreadWraiths (issues raised in #133 & #134, with select responses in #143)

2.1/Angel Attack and 2.2/Character Sketch: dialogue pruning complete through Misato's conversation with Shinji

"Distance" chapter removal and modifications to 3.6/The Cross: see post #146 for details. My thanks to @Strypgia and @Ranma-sensei for their input on this topic. Sections of "The Cross" have been modified:
  • Nozomi now accompanies Shinji to the arcade
  • Shinji no longer speaks with a reporter. Instead, he calls upon Rei to make an appeal to Misato

(now) 3.7/Whole Heart: initial SV edit pass

• * Spelling and wording fixes
    * Removed references to Zenunim in Shinji's narration (but not dialogue)
    * consistency changes: the battle now takes place at the Japanese territorial waters line again

The Second Coming Part Three, "Cherry Blossoms in Faded Gold," concludes tomorrow with 3.7/Whole Heart.

3.7 Whole Heart
19. Whole Heart

The Chinese sent a fleet to the edge of the 12-mile limit of Japanese territorial waters. They were done trading provocations and slights; they moved on to demands. They insisted on inspecting Japanese ships for possible smuggling in or out of Myanmar, including weapons or intelligence equipment.

MSDF's fleet went to meet the Chinese, and for 24 hours, the standoff was nerve-wracking. The constant threat of action made us sleep at the base. It meant sending Nozomi out with the Eva to Okinawa and training sessions to play hopscotch on natural and manmade islands. Let me tell you: you do not want to be responsible for keeping an Eva above the surface of the water. You just don't.

For a time, we hoped that these exercises with the Eva would be enough of a deterrent to keep the Chinese in check. If the Eva could deploy to the ocean safely (whether above the surface or below it), then trying to fight against it would be suicide. And if they dared to try anyway, Nozomi could easily cripple any ship.

But part of the battle was playing out in the media, too. The Chinese screamed for all the world to hear. "Look at the Japanese!" they said. "They're ready and willing to use the Eva as a weapon of war against humanity."

Never mind that the Eva hadn't left Japanese territory. And no, we weren't going to go claiming new territory to make that work, either.

Despite all this tension, the two sides held their fire, maintaining a standoff until the other made a mistake. All it would take was the slightest justification, and there would be open war, but without that, no one wanted to look like the aggressor.

The base stayed on high alert throughout this time. Teams of controllers and engineers stood watch in the control room for regular shifts—Asuka and me included. So every four or eight hours, we'd head into the control room and catch a glimpse of the situation: had the ships changed positions since we were last on watch? Were there more of them? Was Nozomi sleeping? Was the Eva ready for combat? Did we need to perform more exercises?

If that sounds busy, it really wasn't. I wish we'd had more to do. If you ran out of tasks, the best you could do was stare at the situation map on one of the front projector screens, wondering if one of those red or blue blips—theirs or ours—would cross over that imaginary line in the sea.

And when that didn't happen, what could we do? We'd go to eat in the officers' mess, with only half the room full. I'd head back to my office to review exercise results, and Asuka would restart one of her experiments. And then at night, we'd sleep on the base, captives to the rumblings of the mountain.

That is until the loudspeaker went off in our quarters.

"Attention, attention. Operations Team One, report to the control room in Building Bravo. This is not a drill. Attention, attention…"

The call went out, and Asuka and I sprang from the bed. We splashed some water on our faces and threw on two sets of clothes that had been draped over a chair. We were out of our quarters inside of two minutes, just in time to join the procession of combat controllers on their way to battle. We filed into line, and when we made the control room, we sorted ourselves among the rows of stations with mechanical precision.

Once everyone was seated, the briefing began.

"Good morning, everyone."

That was Hyuga, standing at his station with a laser pointer and clicker in hand. He clicked the remote once, and the left projector screen at the confrol room zoomed in on the border to international waters. A red blip appeared just inside the line, fading in and out.

"Here's the situation: JDS Takanami detected a probable submarine contact shadowing MSDF Escort Flotilla 6 at 0410 JST. Contact is intermittent; we suspect it's a Type 095 nuclear-powered attack submarine, too quiet for our sonar to reliably detect, and the submarine has not responded to hails."

Hyuga clicked his remote again, and a group of blue blips surrounded the fading red one. "Three MSDF destroyers—Takanami, Kirishima, and Makinami—are firing anti-submarine torpedoes and mines along probable trajectories back across the territorial line, but in all likelihood, the Type 095 will escape if we do not provide assistance."

Another click. A blue wedge zoomed in from the northeast. "Our mission is to catch the Chinese submarine before it can escape to international waters. Unit-14 will deploy aerially with Type Mikasa equipment. Controllers, start on your Airborne Vehicle Attachment and Type Miskasa Equipment checklists. Our target is takeoff from Okinawa by 0430. Let's go!"

Hyuga clapped his hands together, and the room went to work. I put on my headset and pulled up the entry plug feed on my monitor. Nozomi was inside already, holding on for dear life as the Eva contorted and twisted to mount the launching aircraft.

"You look like hell, Ikari!" she cried, gripping the controls like a vice.

I laughed, rubbing at my eyes and blinking, but they came up open and wide. "I'm more awake than I should be at this time of morning." I glanced at Hyuga, then back at her. "Type Mikasa Equipment?"

Nozomi winced. "It's not my favorite thing in the world. It's like fighting through soup."

"I wish I'd used it once, so I'd know what to tell you." I sighed. "But we'll make do, right?"

"It's that, or I go down like a rock."

"Nozomi!"

She shrugged. "I mean, that's exactly what's gonna happen if this doesn't work."

"It's going to work."

"Maybe."

Her weight shifted; the Eva turned over and was encased in the launcher envelope—a black sleeve that kept the arms and legs together in an aerodynamic package. A crane came in to attach the envelope to the launching aircraft. Only once she was secure did Nozomi let go of the controls—and speak again. She looked right at the camera port, saying,

"So this is it? We're going to war?"

I nodded solemnly.

"Then this had better work," she said, "because I sure don't want to be the first casualty."

"We've trained for this."

Nozomi raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, not exactly this, but stuff like this?" I said, wincing.

"Yeah." She looked around me, to the last station at the rear of the room. "The two of us—we've trained together. You and me. Not all of us. You and me."

I followed her gaze to Misato's cubicle, where the general presided over the affair with an array of monitors to advise her.

"Right," I said, nodding. "You and me."

Besides, the general had business of her own to take care of. The Chinese and Japanese defense forces were frantically communicating over the incident. I couldn't hear the other side of these conversations, but Misato's was clear. On the phone with a Chinese general, she said,

"If it's not your sub, then you have no problem with us throwing the world's supply of anti-submarine torpedoes at that thing until it surfaces, do you?" She sat back in her chair with a knowing grin. "…that's what I thought. Let me be clear, General: if someone wants to fight with Japan, we will strike back with all due force. Whether that's you or someone else is a matter for us to find out when we force that sub to surface."

With no going back from those words, Misato saw the operation go forward. The deployment aircraft reached the combat zone, and Misato herself ordered the Eva's launch. "Show them we will not back down from our mission," she said, "for all mankind."

The launch envelope separated from the aircraft, and like a missile, Nozomi and Unit-14 shot into the fray. A hundred meters above the ocean's surface, the black casing split apart, and Unit-14 dove underwater. It sank for a few moments, but then—

KA-WHOOSH!

The sound echoed through the entry plug, and Nozomi's body slammed against the back of her chair. Two jets of pressurized water boosted Unit-14 forward, into the dark sea.

"This is not ridiculous," said Nozomi as she worked the controls. "This is not ridiculous. This is not ridiculous—"

A fish crashed into the Eva's helmet and bounced off.

"This is goddamn ridiculous!" cried Nozomi, her eyes wide as saucers as she dove through the dark water. "I'm gonna die out here!"

"It's going to be fine!" I said. "Well, I think so."

"You think?!"

Hyuga passed me a piece of paper.

"Ah, Nozomi—waypoint on your display," I said, reading off the note. "Last fix on the submarine. Do you have it?"

Her eyes flickered aside. "Got it. On the way." She shook her head. "This was a terrible idea—trying to dive underwater before dawn. I want you to know that; I want it recorded. I want it played back the next time someone has a bright idea like this, just so everyone knows—"

I winced. "We got it."

"Do you?" she snapped. "Are you sure?"

"Waypoint One ETA is, uh, time plus 03:31. Do you have it?"

Nozomi's breathing slowed, and she wiggled her fingers around the control sticks. "Time plus 3 minutes and 31 seconds here. Okay."

Footsteps behind me. Misato came to my station and peered over my shoulder. "Does she feel the wake?"

"How does it feel out there, Nozomi?"

She grinned. "I've got them. They're mine."

She turned to her right and down, diving deeper. She shot through the submarine's turbulence and heated wake, stalking it like an African lion after an antelope.

But Unit-14 was nowhere near as stealthy or quiet as a lion on the hunt. The jets were like a heavy metal performance underwater—loud enough for all to hear. The sub turned its rudder hard and tried to evade the incoming Eva. It powered up its engines to full speed, and a pair of torpedoes shot out its aft tubes.

"Jets off!" I cried. "Brace!"

Nozomi stopped in the water. She curled into a ball, turning her back to the torpedoes, and—

Static. The Eva's telemetry went out; the screens pixelated.

"Nozomi!" I shot up. "Nozomi, answer me!"

"I'm here—sorta." The feed came back to life, but the entry plug's running lights flickered in and out, and Nozomi bled from her lip. "That was a hell of a bang."

"Ops." Asuka rose from her station. "We've got damage to the Mikasa neural interlock. Left jet thruster inoperable; right one showing intermittent signal."

"Nozomi," I began, "can you maneuver?"

She put her hands back on the controls and grimaced, but the Eva just spun around in circles. Even then, the right jet thruster cut out now and again.

"Try to limp back to Makinami; she should be able to recover you," ordered Misato. "Ops, do we have firm contact?"

Hyuga checked on his monitors. "Yes, Kirishima and Takanami have acquired the Type 095. She's steaming at flank speed for the territorial line, but Kirishima has launched her Apaches. The sub is surrounded."

"Get me on the horn," said Misato. "Underwater telephone."

Hyuga nodded, and Misato herself spoke to the enemy.

"Unidentified submarine," she began, "this is General Misato Katsuragi, Supreme Commander of Project Manoah. On behalf of the Japan Self-Defense Forces, we order you to surface immediately and stand down. Failure to do so will be met with complete and total destruction. You have twenty seconds to begin surfacing. Do not keep me waiting."

I took a deep breath and watched the submarine's track on the left projector screen. Even after Misato's message was sent, the submarine stayed on a beeline for international waters.

"So this is it," I said, throwing a pen aside. "This is how we go to war."

"They fired first," said Misato, staring coldly at the screen. "We're justified in doing whatever we want now."

I nodded. That was true; it didn't make it feel any better, though.

The last few seconds ticked away. Hyuga touched his earpiece and looked to Misato, who gave a single nod.

"All right," said Hyuga. "Envoy, notify Takanami. We're sinking that boat."

The middle projector screen turned to a night-vision image of the water. The submarine raced for international waters, but the destroyer Takanami and its attack helicopters were on the scene. All they had to do was launch a couple anti-submarine torpedoes, and that would be it. Once Chinese equipment was discovered in the wreckage, there'd be no turning back.

But as the submarine made the border to international waters, Takanami did not fire.

Hyuga sat back down at his station, poring over the information on his screens.

"Talk to me, people," said Misato. "Why is that boat still floating?"

"Control, message from attack helicopter Takanami-H018," said Hyuga. "Takanami is not responding to communications."

"Is she intact?"

The satellite view panned northwest. The destroyer Takanami was a modern naval ship, first of her class, with a large electronics mast, missile launchers, and a 127-millimeter gun near the bow. She was sleek, modern, and alive—alive with infrared signatures all over her length, the signs of her sailors keeping her afloat and combat-ready.

So why were these heat signatures fighting each other?

"We want a visual," said Misato. "How did the Chinese get a boarding party over our water without us noticing? Get Makinami and Kirishima over to assist."

"Envoy, get the Americans on the horn," instructed Hyuga. "We need a visual wavelength satellite image of Takanami's position."

The communications envoy got on the line, and the last of the three projector screen panels flipped to a globe mockup, with an American satellite coming turning to get an image momentarily.

"Ikari." That was Nozomi, stuck in the flickering light of the entry plug. "What's going on?"

"Can you get to the surface?"

"With or without losing my lunch? I'm going in circles here."

"Any way you can. Something's wrong. Get to Takanami."

The satellite image came up a few lines at a time on the right projector screen. The destroyer's electronics mast was bent, and in the glow of the deck lights, MSDF sailors took arms against the boarders.

But those guns were ineffective, for the white, pasty creatures just shrugged off bullets and invaded the sailors' minds with their needle-like fingers.

"Ikari…" Nozomi drew her prog knife. "We've got problems here!"

The walkers. They materialized out of the water—the red, LCL-tainted water. As Nozomi and Unit-14 bobbed out of the water—the green, black, and white Eva looking like a fat, deflated beach ball—the creatures materialized around the Eva. The creatures clung to the Eva's armor. The poked and pried at the Eva's back—where two bulbous buoyancy tanks attached to the Eva's frame.

"Reports coming in from the fleet, Ops," said the envoy officer. "Alien boarding parties attacking all ships within six nautical miles of Takanami. Kirishima reports alien forces attacking propellers."

Misato hurried back to her station, taking in the flurry of reports. "All right, let's get Makinami to Unit-14 for recovery. Let her know that 14 is engaged with the Zenunim. Kirishima needs to fight her way to Takanami, and let's get some more air support from Naha." She looked over the whole room. "Buckle down, people. This is far from over."

I got on the headset to the Eva. "Nozomi, you need to get away. Fall back to Makinami."

"Fall back?"

She worked the controls wildly. The creatures crawled all over her, and just when she sliced one in two, another alien grew out of the water and took the other's place.

"You got an idea for that?"

"You think they can hang on if you go full thrust?"

"I can't go straight!"

I pressed my palm to my forehead and groaned. "You—you, uh—" I snapped my fingers. "You've got a knife for a rudder!"

Her eyes widened. "You're not serious."

"Do you think I'm joking?"

Mouth half agape, she stuck the knife in the water behind her, and she flipped a pair of switches on the controls, and she hung on for dear life.

KA-WHOOSH! The Eva skipped across the ocean, churning the water into a frothy wake. Some of the creatures lost their grip and disintegrated once they hit the water, but some hung on to hack and pick at the Eva's equipment, and one of those aliens' needle-like fingers jabbed into the Eva's back armor.

"Left buoyancy tank pierced!" one of the controllers cried. "We're not going to be able to dive again!"

Not like anybody wanted to dive right then!

"I'm coming up on Makinami here," said Nozomi, "but nobody's answering me to lower the island."

Unit-14 came up on the destroyer, but though the lights were on, the only sounds from above were the waves crashing against the hull and gunfire. The Eva floated—if you could even call it that—with a heavy list. The jet intake on the Eva's right side was forced out of the water, rendering it sputtering and useless. Nozomi stabbed and kicked away the creatures that harassed her, for that was all she could do.

"What's our time of arrival?" asked Misato. "Unit-14 is going to be a fancy seabed ornament at this rate."

"Aircraft from Naha on station in eight minutes," reported Hyuga. "Ise is scrambling two Seahawks escorting a Merlin with portable flotation, ETA five minutes."

Misato slammed a hand on her desk. "We don't have that much time," she muttered, pressing two fingers against her temple. "Let's get Takanami's Seahawk over there. Have it strafe the water to try to get Unit-14 some cover."

I took one ear of my headset off. "You're going to have them shoot the Eva?"

"The Eva has an AT field, and its flesh and blood can be regrown."

"Not if Nozomi takes a machine gun round, or if the buoyancy tank is ruptured!"

"I don't see—"

"Control, incoming message from the Chinese," said the communications envoy.

Misato scowled. "What do they want?"

"They want…to assist."

Raising an eyebrow, Misato rose from her station and came around, standing with Hyuga and me. "Assist?"

"They're offering to send boats with marine detachments to fight off the aliens. They also advise running at full steam to make it more difficult for the aliens to board."

"They're being boarded, too?"

"Yes, ma'am," said the envoy.

"We'd have to let their boats close to our ships," noted Hyuga. "What's to stop them from trying to commandeer one of ours in the confusion?"

"Too much of a risk," said Misato. She looked to the communications envoy. "Tell them we decline. We've got this under control."

I shot up from my station. "Misato!"

She glared, folding her arms. "What is it, Plugcom?"

"We do not have this under control!" I pointed at the monitor. "Nozomi is about to sink. Help is not going to get there in time. Two ships are overrun by the creatures, and a third is losing power. They're offering to help!"

"Are they? Are you sure?" She gestured to the projector screen. "You see that thin line up there? That is the only thing protecting us from them invading with everything they've got. If we give them permission to come across, then the floodgates are open. There's no stopping it. Just because they say they want to help doesn't mean they do! They just fired on Nozomi not five minutes ago!"

"I know that!" I bowed my head, and I hissed, forcing air between my teeth. "I know that, but—" I balled my fist. "Misato, let them show you we're not alone in fighting this war." I looked up to her, and I lowered my voice to a whisper. "You don't have to do this alone. You don't have to shoulder all of the burden. You don't have to carry the memories of the dead like a yoke. You don't have to punish yourself to feel better about still being here while your father and Kaji aren't."

Her eyes flashed. "Shinji—"

"This is what you want, right?" I said, unwavering. "You want them to stand up and do the right thing, don't you? You want them to fight on our side against the enemy—the real enemy—don't you?"

Misato stared at me. Her hand clenched the cubicle divider between my station and Hyuga's. Her knuckles were white and tense. "No," she said at last. "We're not taking that chance. We—"

She stopped abruptly, in mid-sentence. She looked past my station, but there were only an empty cubicle and an aisle there.

"Misato?" I asked, rising, but she raised a hand and silenced me. She looked past the empty cubicle for several seconds, but what she was focused on I couldn't discern. It was as if a gnat were flying around the control room, its pitch so high and faint that only she could hear it.

"Hyuga," she said at last.

"Yes, General?"

"Get the Chinese. Tell them they can send boats only. Our choppers will give escort. If they so much as move a ship one centimeter over the line, sink them."

Hyuga let out a small breath in relief. "Yes, General. We're on it." He nodded across the aisle at one of the officers. "You heard the general, didn't you?" he said.

The officer nodded hastily and got on the radio. Within minutes, a group of Chinese patrol boats journeyed across the line into undisputed international waters. Two went to the aid of Takanami and Kirishima. The rest came for the Eva. The Chinese gunners peppered the creatures with barrages of bullets, driving them off the Eva's back, and they threw ropes around the Eva to keep it on the surface, even at the risk of their own boats sinking if it should lose buoyancy. They did this even as the creatures tried to crawl onto their boats. The Chinese lobbed hundreds of rounds of ammunition at the water just to keep the creatures at bay.

And they succeeded. They kept the creatures down long enough for Ise's pack of three choppers to arrive with large buoys, keeping Nozomi afloat., The Chinese teams boarded Makinami, helping the defenders retake the bridge and the engine room.

"Manoah Base, Manoah Base, this is Makinami," the radio cried. "The ship is partially secured; the aliens are being driven down toward the lower levels. We've reclaimed the deck and are working to bring Unit-14 in as we speak. Our Chinese…comrades have been a great help. Surprisingly."

The crewmen of Makinami deployed the artificial island—a netting underlain by a half-dozen buoys and crossbeams for the Eva to ride upon—and Nozomi gladly took refuge there. With her engine room cleared, Makinami made full speed away from the battle zone. The creatures in the water couldn't grab on fast enough, and those still aboard ship were cut down and filled in with sand, just in case they had the idea to reconstitute.

The Battle of the East China Sea was a victory after all, just not over the enemy we expected.

And you know what? I think that was far sweeter than the victory we'd hoped for. I know it to be true, for I remember the relief on Nozomi's face when we sent the Chinese back on their way. She sat back in the entry plug chair, closed her eyes, and allowed herself to rest.

I remember Misato's reaction, too, when the Chinese left peacefully. She stood between Hyuga and me, at the divider between our stations, and she said, "Envoy?"

The communications officer met her gaze.

"Get a message the Chinese commander."

"Yes, General?"

Misato pursed her lips for a moment. She stared at the map of Japan and China, and she said,

"Tell the commander we look forward to fighting alongside them."

The envoy relayed the message in Chinese, and Misato went back to her station, hands folded, staring beyond the projector screens, and shortly after came the reply.

"They say, 'Likewise,' General."

At that, Misato dared to smile, just a little.

The next day, Asuka and I went to the arcade.

"This thing's gotta be rigged!"

That was Toji. You didn't think Asuka and I went alone, did you?

Toji was locked in an epic battle between man and machine—man and claw machine, that is. His quest to pick out a plush rabbit from the bin had cost him a thousand yen with no end in sight. When the rabbit's head slipped out of the claw's grasp once again, Toji slapped the side of the machine in frustration.

"It's rigged!"

At that, Horaki stepped in. "Maybe it's time someone else had a try?"

"I dunno if both of us should waste our money on this thing…"

Horaki laughed to herself at that. "Humor me, Suzuhara."

Toji made a show of stepping aside, and Horaki put in her coins to start the machine. She guided the claw to a second plush rabbit, further in one of the corners, that sat higher on the prize stack than the first. She pressed a button, and the claw descended, grabbing the plush rabbit in one go.

When the rabbit fell into the award bin, Horaki presented it to Toji. "I believe this is what you were looking for?"

Toji bowed his head, put his hands together, and begged, "No, please, keep it, but teach me your ways, Master!"

Kensuke slapped him on the shoulder. "Man, weren't you going to give that to your sister?"

"It's fine!" Toji barked back. "I needed to win two of them!".

"Two?" At that, Horaki beamed, and she tucked the plush rabbit under her arm. "I see. Well, I think I can help with that. Let's try again, shall we, Suzuhara?"

Kensuke frowned. "But what about the first one? Don't you—"

Toji slapped the back of his head.

"Oh!" cried Kensuke. "I get it!"

The girl beside me shook her head at that. "Now he gets it? Just now?"

That was Nozomi. We sat together at one of the concession tables, just a few meters from Toji, Kensuke, and Horaki—though the din of games awarding prizes and such made it difficult to hear them, sometimes.

"So, Ikari," said Nozomi, "let's see what you have."

What I had was a rudimentary sketch of the arcade. I'd tried to ignore the people, just focusing on the shapes and sizes of the arcade games, the shadows they cast in the overhead lights, and so on, but I wasn't too impressed. The angles didn't all seem right, the sizes were inconsistent with each other, and the lines weren't even straight.

"Hmm." Nozomi tapped her pencil on the side of her sketchpad. "Maybe we should start with something simpler. Just one game, even. Try using short strokes instead of long, straight lines. Do it lightly, so you can connect them later, and no one will really notice."

Short strokes, huh?

I flipped the page and started again, picking out just the claw game's outline. With light, dashed strokes, I put down a rectangle for the box's nearest face.

"Not bad," said Nozomi. "Now, one thing you'll have to keep in mind here is perspective. The sides of the game are angles compared to your viewpoint, and the left side is going to be angled more. But both those sides should seem to angle towards a point straight ahead of you, far into the distance."

She touched her pencil to my page at a single spot near the top middle.

"Try angling them toward that."

I added sets of dashes from the top and bottom of the game's box, the furthest left more angled than the others.

"Good. Now you just connect them at the top and back, and you're getting started."

"I see," I said, frowning. "So to begin, it's all more technical than it is artistic, isn't it?"

"A little bit is, yeah," said Nozomi, going to her sketch. "But once you have a handle of the technical side, you can decide you don't want something photorealistic. You can decide to pretend you're not as good for effect, you know?"

I peered at her sketch. Her technique was usually perfect, but this time, she cast most of the people in the arcade as shaded, undetailed forms. Only Horaki, Toji, and Kensuke had proper faces.

"So this is what it means," I said, "to draw."

"At least to learn," she said.

"Yeah," I said, hunkering down over the sketchpad again. "To learn."

By the end of that hour, I had a decent framework for an arcade game's box, at least. And you know what? I felt accomplished for that. It took work and some trial-and-error, but I did it. It was mine, done with my own hand. And Nozomi and I? We did it together.

But after a while trying that, I got up and went around the arcade for a bit, looking for…inspiration, perhaps. Something I couldn't capture in just a simple arcade box was the lively atmosphere of the place. All the lights and noise made the place feel like a living creature in its own right. Each different section of the place was like an organ, fulfilling its own function and servicing different needs.

"Hey, Shinji!"

A voice called to me from the air hockey tables. Maya waved with one of the knockers in her hand, and her opponent—Aoba—gave me a respectful nod as well.

"It's a wonderful party!" Maya called out.

I waved back to them, and they went about their game. You see, not everybody likes air hockey, but those two did, and that part of the arcade served them.

"Everyone's having a good time, eh?"

And that was Kyoji Ishikawa. His hair was a mess, and as usual, he didn't look serious enough or professional enough to be a spy. If anything, he looked the part of an overgrown child enjoying himself in an arcade. The huge stick of cotton candy in his hand probably reinforced this notion.

"Thanks for the invite," he said, nodding to me.

"I'm glad you could be here," I told him.

The mood was much the same with other areas of the arcade. The shooting games tended to appeal to the SDF types, for instance. I caught Captain Suzuki blasting dinosaurs back to the Jurassic period in one game, for instance. In another part, the SDF members in the party were holding an impromptu tournament of sorts, seeing who could get the high score in the zombie shooter.

Naturally, the last man standing there was the last woman standing.

"You think you're all that? You think you can touch me?"

Bang-bang! Misato disintegrated two zombies without blinking, and as the game tallied up her score for the level, she blew at the tip of the light gun, as though she were an American gunslinger.

"That's right, folks, the general is in, and she's taking no prisoners! Who thinks I'm gonna hit 300,000 points in this game?"

There were some scattered cheers, but Misato scowled.

"Well, then you're wrong because I'm gonna hit 400,000 in the blink of an eye!"

That got more applause, but the cheers were short-lived.

"Sorry, General?" Hyuga cut through the crowd. "Sorry, there's a matter that requires your attention."

The bystanders griped over this, appealing to Hyuga to let it go. "Come on. Can't it wait for a few minutes?" one officer said.

"I'm afraid it shouldn't," said Hyuga. "Sorry."

Misato made an exaggerated sigh. "Someone wanna keep the gun warm for me?"

"I've got it!" Raising a hand, Asuka stepped forward. "Nothing's getting past me, Misato."

Misato presented the orange light gun with a bow. "My game and score are in your hands, Asuka."

"I'll serve them well," said Asuka, returning the gesture.

"Hey, what about the high score list?" asked someone in the crowd.

"We don't need scores to know who's the best at this," said Asuka, keeping the light gun down while a cutscene played. She looked to me. "Shinji! Get over here!"

"Me?" I said.

"Yeah, you! You're done trying to be an artist for a bit, right? Then you're mine now!"

I gave a fake salute. "Yes, ma'am." And I took up the second light gun, saying, "We need to be careful here. Enemies come in from both sides."

"If you need help, yell." She winked. "I'll do the same."

I smiled at that, but a few words caught my ear from nearby:

"…just past Pluto?"

Misato and Hyuga were discussing something, but I couldn't make out the rest. Misato's face was tense, though, and she pressed two fingers to her temple.

"Shinji?" Asuka tapped my arm. "Game's on."

I shot two zombies without even thinking, and I didn't let my eyes wander from the screen for the rest of the game.

Asuka and I only held out for a few more minutes—Misato had advanced deep into the game, and we were both in over our heads at that point. We tried a game of our own, but that didn't go much of anywhere, either.

By the time we were finished, Misato and Hyuga had spread the word for everyone in the party to gather. The remaining members of Project Manoah grouped up in the main dining area for the arcade, and Misato stood on top of a table to address us all. She was glad so many of us had come out for this day—a day of rest and relief after the hardships of an invasion and terror. That we could stand there and enjoy ourselves, even for a brief moment, made us special:

"You're a testament to what makes SDF—and all humanity—great," she said, beaming. "Take pride in that, and remember: though we've faced many tragedies, we've endured. And though our world still needs rebuilding, though we must defend ourselves from those who'd send us back to the sea, I urge all of you to make time for days like these. The fire of duty burns inside each and every one of you." She smiled as she looked over the crowd. "I see it clearly, but make sure you see it in others, too, and don't let it consume you."

I tensed up. I glanced around, but there was nothing out of place. The arcade cabinets glowed, casting the room in an otherworldly light. A few children tried their hands at a claw game.

"Don't let that fire consume you," Misato said again, holding a hand over her chest. "This world is not saved without you to inhabit it, too."

She glanced in my direction, and I nodded to acknowledge her. She smiled, and she said at last,

"Never forget that, everyone. Never."

The general descended to hollers and cheers from the assembled SDF members. And though the party was breaking up, Misato was not yet done enjoying herself. She made her way back toward the zombie shooter game, where Asuka and I had come from. Misato slapped me on the shoulder as she passed me by. "High score yet?" she asked.

I shook my head. We hadn't come close.

"You can't leave without getting a high score," she said, winking. "It's a rule."

I raised two eyebrows. "Is it now?"

She nodded vehemently, and she looked to Asuka. "Can I borrow your man?"

"Only if you can teach him how to shoot," said Asuka.

"Done and done." Misato circled in front of me. "Well, Shinji—what do you say?"

What could I say?

That depended on who was asking. Was she the woman who raised me for the better part of a year, who mothered me when I had neither mother nor father to turn to?

Was she the woman who kept her father's cross on her desk as a constant reminder of something lost?

Was she the woman who wore the cherry blossoms in gold on her shoulders, even in the wee hours of the morning?

Or was she just another woman in an antiquated arcade, searching for solace and companionship in a world that pierced our hearts so often?

I looked around as I tried to decide whether to humor her with another game. After all, I hadn't done too well in my first round. My gaze wandered the room, happening upon the far wall of the arcade. There were glowing figures that didn't belong there—the figures of Ayanami and the stranger in the satin hood.

Their gazes pierced me—even the gaze of the stranger whose eyes could not be seen. Their gazes went right through the holes in my own heart.

It was a sharp reminder, I believe, that such holes should be mended truly, not plugged up with deeds we tell ourselves are for others.

And so, I joined Misato Katsuragi. I joined her because she was all of those things I said before, not just one of them more than the others. She was a mother and a general, an orphaned daughter and a grown woman all in one.

I wanted to see her happy, and not just because it would help her. It made me happy, too.

So Misato and I lined up at the zombie shooter once more, and we went at it for hours. Misato was a much better shooter than I, and we must've spent the first hour just trying to get my posture right for firing a light gun. Even then, we'd get devoured every so often. Those games were notoriously random and unfair.

Maybe it was silly, to put so much energy into an arcade game. It was a momentary respite. It wasn't meant to last. We'd be back at the real war soon enough, after all.

But silly or not, Misato and I kept plugging away, and when the night was done, we left with the second high score.

And I don't regret that.

Cherry Blossoms in Faded Gold
The Second Coming Part Three End​

Last edited:
Back