6.2 Ataraxia
35. Ataraxia

Captain Aoba had taken over the control room.

Asuka had started on the procedures for simulated exercises when Aoba and his people entered the control room. He pretended that he wanted to discuss the Eva's limitations after having removed the Crown of Thorns and repaired the damage from being submerged for so long. That was just a ruse: he and his men were already armed. There had been a brief firefight, with one of Maya's staff grazed in the action. After that, Misato's men had taken positions outside the control room doors. Aoba's people had disabled those doors and disconnected the interior cameras.

Aoba's demands were simple: collapse the launch chute and destroy Unit-14. "This war costs everyone too much," he said over the phone. "We're the ones killing people; they're not. Put a stop to this, General! Just let it be!"

We were in the briefing hall, which Hyuga had hastily converted into a command center for the emergency. Misato sat at the bottom of the bowl with the speakerphone in front of her, and when Aoba made that remark, she put him on mute and sneered. "Yes, sure, we should accept being crippled because that at least doesn't kill anyone!" she remarked, but when she unmuted the phone, her tone was more diplomatic. "All right, Aoba," she said, "if we're going to cooperate, we need a mutual show of good faith—a number of hostages for each concrete act you ask of us. Agreed?"

"Seal the launch chute, and I will release half of the hostages," said Aoba.

Misato put two fingers to her temple. "Wouldn't you like to divide this down to something a little finer? Putting so much leverage on a single act increases the risk for both of us."

"Those are my terms," he said, and he hung up.

Misato picked up the phone and slammed it back on the base to hang up in turn, and she rattled off instructions for Hyuga. "Find a way to launch the Eva without him knowing," she said. "Divert every camera, sensor, and radio to the secondary control room. Assume he has people on the outside looking to funnel him information or sabotage our efforts. Do not let him harm even any more of our people, Hyuga."

Hyuga nodded, and he doled out assignments to the remaining officers and staff. We were to set up in the secondary control room. The base's eyes, ears, and voice would be reconnected there, leaving Aoba with false feeds and dummy radio traffic.

With Hyuga's instructions given, we filed out of the auditorium, but I lingered at the back of the crowd. I ducked into the restroom, turned the cold faucet all the way open, and splashed some water on my face. I leaned on the sink counter with both hands, and I bowed my head.

I'd spoken to Ayanami in a restroom like that one—not that exact one, but they had the same layout: the same cool, blue-white lights; the same cream-colored, plastic countertops. She made an appeal to me in that place. And then she was gone.

I'd spoken to Asuka in the briefing hall before. I'd been sitting right next to her when she sold Misato and Hyuga on the idea of the puncture engine. That was some weeks before. How amazing it was to realize things could change so quickly. If Aoba or one of his men got jumpy, she could be gone just as fast as Ayanami left us.

There was a knock at the restroom door, and it creaked open. "Somebody in there?" asked Misato. "I was banging someone earlier and forgot my panties. Do you mind?"

I huffed, not looking at her. "You're not funny."

"I disagree," she said, stepping inside. "This is my base, and it's a standing order that I'm funny."

I sighed at that. "Don't you have something to do?"

"We both do." She put a hand on my shoulder, and we faced the mirror together. "How are you holding up?"

"It's Asuka in there," I said. "How do you think I'm holding up?"

"She needs you now." Misato rubbed my shoulder. "You up for it?"

I looked away. "I'll try." My eyes snapped back to meet her gaze. "Don't let them take her, Misato. Don't let them take anyone else."

Misato leaned to the side and kissed my temple. "There's not a chance of that," she said. "We're getting Asuka back."

I nodded and let out a breath, and we headed to the backup control room.

Technicians and support staff still had work to do in the backup control room, hooking it up with live feeds and radio systems. I had to log into an unfamiliar station and get my credentials entered for the communications loop. All that work took time—time we didn't have. My chair felt uneven and sat too high, but the lever on its side didn't seem to work properly. The backup control room was cramped, with only half the stations the main one had. In some areas, two or three controllers shared a single station. The lighting was flaky, with one overhead light going in and out ever few seconds. The room was far from perfect, but it would have to do.

I got on the line with Nozomi, who had been loaded into Unit-14. If Aoba wanted us to close the launch chute and trap the Eva inside, we had to do everything we could to get the Eva into the open and free. Nozomi had suited up for the most unusual operation we'd ever considered.

"So, have we got something like a harness to support me?" asked Nozomi. "You guys sent an Eva into a volcano. You have to have a plan for this."

I looked to Hyuga. "Don't count on it," he said.

"Sorry," I told Nozomi, "we'll have to worry about what we can control. I know it's tough."

"Well, for Soryu's sake…" Nozomi sighed. "Let's get this done, right? We got a checklist?"

"Just the essentials," I said, "and thanks."

"'course."

We worked through the quick launch checklist. While most of the basic tests passed, Nozomi felt that the Eva was stiff and sluggish. Some of that was expected: the Crown of Thorns had damaged the Eva's nervous system, and even though our people had excised the artifact, the damage would take time to heal—more time than we had. We were concerned that the loss of motor function or could affect the Eva's ascent, but we didn't have many other options. If the proper safeguards were taken on the way up, the Eva still had a good chance of making it out of the launch chute, but if Nozomi felt she simply didn't have adequate control, it would be on her to abort. Actually launching the Eva was out of the question: the primary control room would detect that, whether through sensors in the launch elevators or by the power flowing to the electromagnets within. We had no choice but to make Nozomi climb the whole way to the surface.

The tricky part wasn't the climb, either: it was deceiving Aoba into thinking we were giving in to his demands while betraying him. As Nozomi scaled the chute, pulling the Eva up by nooks and crannies in the carved-out rock, Misato ordered sealing doors shut, cutting Nozomi off from the base beneath her. Aoba was wise to this, though; he wanted Misato to close the topmost sealing door, ensuring Eva-14 couldn't escape.

Misato and Hyuga deliberated about what to do there. Could the Eva break through the top sealing door on its own? And do so without collapsing the launch chute structure? They decided it was worth the risk. They closed one last sealing door behind Unit-14 as well as the topmost one. Nozomi and Unit-14 climbed on with only the glow of orange emergency lights to guide her upward.

With the shaft doors shut, Misato made her counter-demands: Aoba was to release half the hostages, including Asuka. The other half would be for removing and destroying the Eva's core.

Aoba refused. He felt that merely closing the doors wasn't enough. He demanded that we weld them together to ensure they couldn't be opened remotely.

"What does he want us to do—find an Eva-sized blowtorch?" said Misato, incredulous. She turned to the communications controller. "If we decline to do that without a release of hostages," she asked, "what will he do?"

The controller passed that along and said, "He says he'll liquefy hostages one at a time until we comply."

Misato and Hyuga weren't sure what to make of that. Could Aoba have smuggled one of the walkers in without us noticing? How else could they forcibly liquefy someone? Did they have some other technique?

Whatever the answers, Misato decided it was a moot point. It seemed that Aoba had no intention of releasing the hostages incrementally as a show of good faith.

"We're going ahead," Misato decided, coming down the aisle to stand near Hyuga and me. "Break the launch chute door open. Our people will go in on the first crack."

I glanced at the front projector screens. On one screen was the view from the Eva as it climbed the chute. On the next was a millimeter-wave image of the primary control room. In grayscale, Aoba's men manned the control room stations, with only a small handful standing guard. The control room staff sat underneath their desks. Try as I might, I couldn't get a clear glimpse of Asuka: the grayscale figures were recognizable as people, but without true color, clothing, or hair.

"Shinji," said Hyuga, "you need to let her know."

I flinched. "Right! Sorry." I pushed the transmit switch on my headset cord. "Okay, Nozomi, we're going to have you break down the chute door."

"You sure, Ikari?" Nozomi looked at the entry plug camera. "Feels like I'm fighting through soup here, like I'm drawing something but somebody keeps yammering away while I'm trying to concentrate."

Unit-14 pulled itself up on a niche in the rocky chute, but its fingers slipped, and the Eva flailed to regain its grip.

"Can't hold on to anything right now," muttered Nozomi.

"It might be interference from the core," I told her. "We might have to just push through it."

"Okay, just give me the word."

I looked to Hyuga, but he was pressing a finger to his ear. "Major?" I said.

"Tell her to stand by," he said. "There are reports of a security breach elsewhere on base. We need to assess the situation."

I gestured to the front screen. "Nozomi can't hang there forever."

And Aoba's people weren't going to wait forever, either. There was activity inside the primary control room. Aoba's goons went back and forth between distant stations. They used office chairs to set up block the doors or as improvised cover, and all we could do was watch them in run about like actors in a silent film.

"General," said Hyuga, "Aoba's people clearly believe that a confrontation is imminent. If we're going to strike, the time is now."

Misato frowned, tapping a pencil on her desk. "Shinji, do you think Nozomi can break through—despite the trouble she's having with the Eva?"

I watched the front screen. Aoba's men drew their guns.

"Yes," I said. "Absolutely."

"Then make the call," said Misato.

I relayed the instructions to Nozomi, who—despite her unsteady grip on the rocks—pulled the Eva to the bottom of the chute door. Resting its shoulder on a ledge, the Eva drew its prog knife and started cutting.

On the front projector screen, SDF security teams barged into the primary control room, and just as the door opened, the footage went dead.

"Misato!" I cried, turning back to look at her.

She held up a hand. "These things take time," she said.

And time doesn't care how impatient you are.

The minutes ticked away in the backup control room. The air circulation system spat cool air at my neck. The computers hummed and beeped. On the screen, Nozomi sliced through the launch chute door and pried it open. Unit-14 emerged in the midday sun on Hachibuse Mountain outside Tokyo-2, and as the minutes passed, Nozomi guided the Eva on a stroll of sorts. She had nothing better to do, after all.

Hyuga had gone to Misato's station to observe and monitor the situation. Make no mistake: they were watching. They could see what was going on. They just didn't want me watching.

But after a time, Misato let out a breath and sat back in her chair. "Shinji," she said, "Hyuga will take over for you with Nozomi. Get up to the primary control room. Asuka's waiting for you."

My heart skipped a beat. I fumbled with my headset, getting the cord caught around my fingers. I ran out of the backup control room and scampered across the base to the primary control room's building. I ran so fast I lost my footing trying to turn a corner and banged my hand against an exposed pipe, but I shook it off and kept going. When I got to the control room, it didn't even hurt.

The scene there was confused and chaotic: infirmary staff had priority getting in and out. A line of controllers left the area under the supervision of a pair of medics. Base security guarded the doors closely, keeping me at a safe distance.

Then, at the end of the line, came Asuka. She had a medic personally attending to her; the side of her face had swelled up, and she was holding a compress to her cheek to dull the inflammation.

"Asuka!" I cried, and I ran to her—despite the guards' protests. Asuka wrapped an arm around me, cradling the compress and her face with the other.

"I'm all right," she said. "The Eva—did they—"

"No, we got Nozomi and the Eva out," I said.

"Did you now?" From inside the control room came the voice of Captain Aoba. He and his men lay face down between the cubicles, cuffed with cable ties. The SDF officers standing over them wielded tasers, and two leads stuck in Aoba's back. "You got the Eva out?" he said weakly. "Good for you."

Two SDF members dragged Aoba to his feet, and as they walked him out, I called to him.

"How could you do this?" I said. "We worked on this for so long. Why?"

Aoba froze me with a glance. The stare in his eyes was distant and haunting. "I've seen what could happen to us," he said. "They showed me when they took me to the sea this time. We can't let that happen. Have you thought about what would happen next? No you haven't. I know it." The SDF members began to drag him away. "That's all right," Aoba concluded. "None of that matters anymore."

As the security team walked Aoba and his henchmen to holding cells, Asuka and I lingered behind. One of the medics stepped in, saying that Asuka should go to the infirmary to get checked out, but I wasn't watching. I stared as Aoba and the others went down the hall.

"Asuka," I said, "are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah? I should be fine. Just got hit by a wussy punch; that's all. I should be back to work—"

I kissed her on the lips for just a moment, enough to quiet her, and I waved goodbye. "You rest!" I called out as I started down the hall. "Listen to the doctors! I'll check back later; I need to see Nozomi."

"Shinji? What's going on?"

I headed back to the backup control room at a brisk pace. For a man who'd been tased and defeated in his plan to shut down the Eva, Aoba had been a little too calm about things. Our mistakes soon wouldn't matter? The plot to invade the Black Moon hadn't even been launched.

More importantly, the man who had cleared the Eva for testing—for relaunch—was none other than Aoba. If he'd wanted to shut the Eva down, he'd had more than ample opportunity to do it right under our noses.

When I returned to the backup control room, I explained my reasoning to Hyuga and Misato. We needed to get Unit-14 back in the cage for testing; we should scour every last square centimeter of its body until we were confident Aoba had done nothing to sabotage it. They agreed, and they had me call Nozomi back.

We raised the launch elevator to the top of the chute, but when it arrived there, Unit-14 wouldn't move.

"Ikari, I don't have control here," said Nozomi, pushing on the actuation levers. "The whole thing's gumming up again, just like—"

The Eva shook and recoiled. An appendage grew out of its forehead: a thorny vine. It formed a ring across the Eva's six eyes and ran tendrils along the Eva's limbs like the strings of a puppet.

And they invaded the entry plug, too. Tiny roots crept inside around the entry plug hatch. They yanked Nozomi from her seat, stringing her up on a cross of thorns.

"Nozomi…" I rose from my seat, mouth agape. "Nozomi, can you move at all? Can you do anything?"

"Now, now, Shinji Ikari—you should know better," said a voice from inside the plug. "Eva has a will of its own. Those who dare try to control our precursors' flesh shall be dominated in turn."

Keel Lorenz. He was there—inside the entry plug with Nozomi. He swam freely, and he sat on top of the actuation levers' mount, in front of Nozomi, who stared back at him in fright and horror.

"My thanks for allowing me and the Eva to reach the surface," said Lorenz with a mocking nod. "Now, if you'll excuse us, we must bring about paradise once more."

The Eva took a halting foot forward.

And then another.

And another still.

And it brushed aside the trees as though they were saplings to a bear.

It took the next few hours to piece together what had happened—and how we were deceived.

Aoba and his people had released Lorenz. They'd liquefied him and mixed him into the batch of LCL meant for the entry plug. From there, it was just a matter of time. As long as we thought Aoba wanted us to seal the Eva underground and destroy it, we'd do everything in our power to set it free. Aoba must've deliberately left a piece of the Crown of Thorns embedded within the Eva—a piece that became active and virulent when the time was right. If it had asserted control over the Eva underground, it was very likely we would've kept Unit-14 contained. Even if it wrecked the base, it would've been trapped under tons of rock. Tricking us into releasing the Eva accomplished both of Seele's goals.

And Seele didn't waste any time proclaiming victory. Their propaganda was on the airwaves by the end of the hour, saying that all mankind should "prepare to enter the millennial kingdom." The Crown of Thorns would usher us into a new and final era—and so on and so forth. They rattled off promise after promise of false salvation, and their voices brimmed with giddiness and glee. Only devils could welcome the apocalypse with such open arms.

There was little we could do to shut them up. From Tokyo-2, Unit-14 headed for the ocean. Misato had all remaining SDF forces converge on the Eva's path, but it didn't matter. They bombarded the Eva with bullets, shells, and N2 weapons. It was futile: the Eva shrugged off N2 weapons like they were firecrackers. It flung tanks aside with a flick of its foot.

I stood with Nozomi throughout that time. I kept talking to her, trying to reassure her, but Lorenz was in the entry plug. He could undo all of my well-meaning words with just a look and a smirk. Nozomi resisted him and her bindings, but her efforts were futile. She could lash out at him as much as she liked; Lorenz didn't care. She could tug and yank on the vines, but they had no slack to pull against. She was a prisoner in the Eva, forced to watch and listen as the beast decimated all that stood in its way. Her strength faded, and she drifted into a daze, shutting both Lorenz and me out.

The Eva headed for the Indian Ocean. It could have only one destination: the second Black Moon.

Our purpose was clear, then. The attack plans that had been drawn up to attack the enemy's stronghold were quickly modified and co-opted for a new purpose: Get Nozomi back. Get Unit-14 back. Stop Fourth Impact before Seele make it happen.

All the world would contribute. The American and German Eva would be the vanguard. An international armada would steam for the Indian Ocean, providing passage and firepower. Allied aircraft would blot out the sky. Were it not for the loss of life in Second and Third Impact, it would've been the largest mobilization of armed forces in the history of the world. At the very least, it'd be the largest coalition—in terms of number of countries—ever assembled.

While Misato and Hyuga coordinated with our allies, I stood watch in the backup control room. We'd lost contact with Unit-14 once it reached sufficient depth, but there was still a chance that, even if we couldn't hear back from the Eva, that Nozomi might hear me. Every ten minutes, I made a call out into the dark.

"Eva Unit-14, this is Manoah Base Control, do you read?"

Nothing.

"Nozomi, it's Ikari. Can you hear me?"

Always nothing.

Every ten minutes, I made the two calls, gave it a ten-count just in case, and shut off my microphone. My responsibility was to stay on watch. What I did after making the regular check and hearing nothing was my business.

So, I brought some things with me to pass the time: A Tale of Two Cities and a sketchpad.

Well, I'm exaggerating slightly. To say I used these things to pass the time would be an overstatement. I didn't, really. I laid the book and the sketchpad on the desk—not my desk, mind you, but a similar plastic desk to my own in the real control room.

And I'd watch them.

Now, I know that sounds a little crazy. It's not as though I expected the book or the sketchpad to move.

But I watched them.

I watched them, and they spoke to me.

I heard Ayanami reading the monologue of Sydney Carton as he went to the guillotine for a death he didn't deserve. I heard Nozomi giving me tips on pencil strokes and perspective.

These voices I heard clearly, yet in time, they would fade, as all things inevitably do. My memory would fail me if I didn't hear those voices again. At some point, no one would live who'd ever heard either of them speak, and their voices would be lost forever.

That's all logical, but there was a part of me who didn't want to believe that. There was a part of me that stared at the book and the sketchpad. It stared and even held on to those objects, as though to capture Ayanami and Nozomi's voices in my hand like fireflies, but I had no jar to keep them in.

I realized then that Seele was right about one thing: life is painful. Life is full of pain and suffering, for that is the nature of it. The world itself and the passage of time—they were my enemy, my bane.

The promise of a world with people betrayed me. I'd known that time would come; I'd dared to think it wouldn't be so soon, but it came—not because Ayanami and Nozomi had been taken from me but because of what I'd left them with.

You never say all you ought to say to someone.

You never feel like you know people love you as much as you think you should.

This is always true, and yet how often do we go out of our way to tell people what they deserve to hear? How often do we remind the people around us that they're loved?

Not often enough.

Now, the easy thing to do would've been to speak some of those words over the radio, hoping Ayanami and Nozomi could hear, but that would've been empty. At best, it would've made me feel better without accomplishing anything.

What good are words shouted to an empty forest?

The ten-minute check-in came again.

"Eva Unit-14, this is Manoah Base Control, do you read?" I said.

Nothing.

"Nozomi, it's Ikari. Can you hear me?"

Nothing.

I looked up at the projector screen. As Unit-14 walked along the ocean floor, a dashed line traced its path. It would make landfall in China, presumably to continue its journey to India on the ground. Maybe then we'd be able to reach her.

Until then, there was only the faint hum of electrical noise in my ear. My words spoken to the void were never heard.

I passed on monitoring of the plugcom station after a few hours. There was no chance of reaching Nozomi while she was underwater, and Misato had been gracious enough to offer another SDF officer as relief while I retired for the evening.

I stopped by the infirmary to pick up Asuka—she was fine, aside from the bruise on her face. They'd given her some fluids just to be safe. As soon as the doctors cleared her, I took Asuka back to our quarters to rest—and I insisted that she rest. A little food was fine, but after that? Right to bed. No questions. I wouldn't have it any other way. Asuka was a little taken aback at how forceful I was about this, but once it was clear I wouldn't budge, I think she appreciated where I was coming from. She might have even liked it a little.

While Asuka was sleeping, I got back to work. I brought a heap of photographs and documents from my office and spread them over our desk. I brought up dozens more on Asuka's base laptop: photos of the Black Moon, disposition of naval forces, satellite thermal imaging, and more.

I searched through the material like a termite chewing through a grand staircase. Once I devoured each sheet, I tossed it aside. Papers fell like snowflakes around the desk.

Maybe you can't understand it, but have you ever felt there was something you had to do because you wouldn't forgive yourself if you didn't? Or, did you ever know there was something totally pointless ahead of you—something you could never succeed in—yet you felt like you had to go through the motions anyway?

This was like that, for me. I'm no tactician, no military planner. I knew even less about materials and battle formations than I did about Seele's prophesies, but it was something I had to do. If I had the choice between sitting there, listening to the silence, and combing through every document or piece of data we had on the enemy, I'd make the same choice every time.

These people had taken Ayanami from me. They were taking Nozomi from me. They'd almost taken Asuka from me. They'd nearly driven Misato from me. Well, not anymore, not if I had something to say about it! You can't stress friendships—you can't steal loved ones—and expect no one to come knocking on your door. Seele believed that there was nothing good in this world. They were the real problem. They were the ones dissolving the bonds that made us human. There could be no greater crime than forcing Ayanami to face an eternity of sameness—of neverending stubbornness—just so we could enjoy the right to exist. There could be no greater sin than crucifying Nozomi just so Lorenz could enact his twisted vision of paradise.

No more. No fucking more of that. I wouldn't have it.

Even so, as much as I felt that anger driving me, I don't think I expected to find an answer in those photos and briefings. I think, at the time, I felt compelled to look just so the rage wouldn't consume me.

But I did find an answer in there. I found a way to save Ayanami and Nozomi both. I found the way to end the war.

I held it in my hand, and the paper trembled, for my whole body shook as I realized the significance of it. The way to finding Ayanami—to bringing her back and stopping Lorenz cold in his tracks—was built on the simplest of things:

A diagram of a Geofront support strut.

Last edited:
Oh, for the love of-!

Keel Lorenz onto the chair.

Well done.

Put a stop to this, General!Just let it be!"
There's a space missing.
We were concerned that the loss of motor function or could affect the Eva's ascent, but we didn't have many other options.
This is either an artefact of something more you wanted to write, or your word processor ate the something more.
They used office chairs to set up block the doors or as improvised cover, and all we could do was watch them in run about like actors in a silent film.
Those two passages seem somehow garbled.
Eva Unit-14 emerged into the midday sun on Hachibuse Mountain outside Tokyo-3.
Pretty sure that's the wrong Tokyo.
That's all logical, but there was a part of me who didn't want to believe that.
Is 'who' a valid choice, in this context?
You never feel like you know people love you as much as you think you should.
Is that backwards; or do I just not get the meaning?

Lorenz, you slippery little bastard.

Good to see Shinji somewhat finding his feet and fighting back, though.

One critique: The control room is attacked, and I get the vague impression that Aoba and men are captured, but it's a long bit before that's mentioned clearly, and most odd of all, Shinji doesn't mention Asuka's fate until much later. I'd have expected at least a mention that she was free and alive. Because that wasn't found in close proximity to the description of retaking the control room, I read on for a while half expecting the awful twist of Shinji softly mentioning that Asuka had been hit or killed. I'm still partly expecting a surprise reveal that she and the other freed hostages have been infected for later like Unit-14 was.

One critique: The control room is attacked, and I get the vague impression that Aoba and men are captured, but it's a long bit before that's mentioned clearly, and most odd of all, Shinji doesn't mention Asuka's fate until much later. I'd have expected at least a mention that she was free and alive. Because that wasn't found in close proximity to the description of retaking the control room, I read on for a while half expecting the awful twist of Shinji softly mentioning that Asuka had been hit or killed. I'm still partly expecting a surprise reveal that she and the other freed hostages have been infected for later like Unit-14 was.

Yeah, the timing here collides a lot of things at the same time, and it does make things awkward. One thing I could do is have Lorenz assert control over the Eva after a delay; that would give time for the control room assault to wind down and be dealt with.

Basically, that would play out like this:
  • The assault on the control room occurs. Nozomi and Unit-14 escape to the surface. Once everything seems to be settled, Misato lets Shinji go to the scene and see that Asuka is only superficially harmed.
  • Shinji reports back to his station as soon as Asuka's resting, only for Nozomi to be unable to return back down the launch chute as Lorenz takes control.
  • Shinji is relieved once Unit-14 goes underwater on its way to the Asian mainland, and with only a few minor alterations for continuity, things proceed with Shinji looking at background material to try to find a way to get Rei and Nozomi back.

Okay, so here's a draft passage according to the above. A little bit of narration about Aoba and his people shrugging off bullets and acting like the aliens has been lost, but overall, I think the timing is much better. Outside of this passage, Shinji's visit to the infirmary is glossed over instead of shown in real time, as by that point, he'll have already seen Asuka.

On the front projector screen, SDF security teams barged into the primary control room, and just as the door opened, the footage went dead.

"Misato!" I cried, turning back to look at her.

She held up a hand. "These things take time," she said.

And time doesn't care how impatient you are.

The minutes ticked away in the backup control room. The air circulation system spat cool air at my neck. The computers hummed and beeped. On the screen, Nozomi sliced through the launch chute door and pried it open. Unit-14 emerged in the midday sun on Hachibuse Mountain outside Tokyo-2, and as the minutes passed, Nozomi guided the Eva on a stroll of sorts. She had nothing better to do, after all.

Hyuga had gone to Misato's station to observe and monitor the situation. Make no mistake: they were watching. They could see what was going on. They just didn't want me watching.

But after a time, Misato let out a breath and sat back in her chair. "Shinji," she said, "Hyuga will take over for you with Nozomi. Get up to the primary control room. Asuka's waiting for you."

My heart skipped a beat. I fumbled with my headset, getting the cord caught around my fingers. I ran out of the backup control room and scampered across the base to the primary control room's building. I ran so fast I lost my footing trying to turn a corner and banged my hand against an exposed pipe, but I shook it off and kept going. When I got to the control room, it didn't even hurt.

The scene there was confused and chaotic: infirmary staff had priority getting in and out. A line of controllers left the area under the supervision of a pair of medics. Base security guarded the doors closely, keeping me at a safe distance.

Then, at the end of the line, came Asuka. She had a medic personally attending to her; the side of her face had swelled up, and she was holding a compress to her cheek to dull the inflammation.

"Asuka!" I cried, and I ran to her—despite the guards' protests. Asuka wrapped an arm around me, cradling the compress and her face with the other.

"I'm all right," she said. "The Eva—did they—"

"No, we got Nozomi and the Eva out," I said.

"Did you now?" From inside the control room came the voice of Captain Aoba. He and his men lay face down between the cubicles, cuffed with cable ties. The SDF officers standing over them wielded tasers, and two leads stuck in Aoba's back. "You got the Eva out?" he said weakly. "Good for you."

Two SDF members dragged Aoba to his feet, and as they walked him out, I called to him.

"How could you do this?" I said. "We worked on this for so long. Why?"

Aoba froze me with a glance. The stare in his eyes was distant and haunting. "I've seen what could happen to us," he said. "They showed me when they took me to the sea this time. We can't let that happen. Have you thought about what would happen next? No you haven't. I know it." The SDF members began to drag him away. "That's all right," Aoba concluded. "None of that matters anymore."

As the security team walked Aoba and his henchmen to holding cells, Asuka and I lingered behind. One of the medics stepped in, saying that Asuka should go to the infirmary to get checked out, but I wasn't watching. I stared as Aoba and the others went down the hall.

"Asuka," I said, "are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah? I should be fine. Just got hit by a wussy punch; that's all. I should be back to work—"

I kissed her on the lips for just a moment, enough to quiet her, and I waved goodbye. "You rest!" I called out as I started down the hall. "Listen to the doctors! I'll check back later; I need to see Nozomi."

"Shinji? What's going on?"

I headed back to the backup control room at a brisk pace. For a man who'd been tased and defeated in his plan to shut down the Eva, Aoba had been a little too calm about things. Our mistakes soon wouldn't matter? The plot to invade the Black Moon hadn't even been launched.

More importantly, the man who had cleared the Eva for testing—for relaunch—was none other than Aoba. If he'd wanted to shut the Eva down, he'd had more than ample opportunity to do it right under our noses.

When I returned to the backup control room, I explained my reasoning to Hyuga and Misato. We needed to get Unit-14 back in the cage for testing; we should scour every last square centimeter of its body until we were confident Aoba had done nothing to sabotage it. They agreed, and they had me call Nozomi back.

We raised the launch elevator to the top of the chute, but when it arrived there, Unit-14 wouldn't move.

"Ikari, I don't have control here," said Nozomi, pushing on the actuation levers. "The whole thing's gumming up again, just like—"

The Eva shook and recoiled. An appendage grew out of its forehead: a thorny vine. It formed a ring across the Eva's six eyes and ran tendrils along the Eva's limbs like the strings of a puppet.

I like this. It lets Aoba's unsettling creepiness get to Shinji, and at the same time gives us a look at how someone who was right there with everyone else from the beginning of the Angel War could suddenly be willing to side with the head of SEELE. Everyone's actions and reactions feel right, and it lets a moment of relief and feeling of disaster averted become one of sudden horror.

Author's Notes: Character Focus - Asuka
Author's Notes: Character Focus - Asuka

Like with Misato, I felt that Asuka's character is underserved in First Ones, and that drove a great deal of the additional focus in this piece.

In First Ones, Asuka gets a little bit of focus as she looks upon Shinji's growth. He matures into a leader of sorts, and Asuka feels some jealousy that Shinji is looked up to while she is on the side, playing second fiddle. That's not a bad direction to go to, but in retrospect, it's not satisfying to me.

Asuka here is different, and her issues are better focused on her own personality. She's a unique and interesting character, and I hoped to make a story that would serve her well.

In this piece and what came before, I chose to play up Asuka's qualities as a prodigy—not just as an Eva pilot, but on an intellectual level. For all her emotional immaturity, Asuka is still said to have attended university, and her only real issues with the Japanese school system were with the writing system. Asuka very much follows in her mother's footsteps by going into biochemical research, ultimately leading back to Eva. It is a purposeful shift in her behavior to emphasize her ability to reason and and be clever. She's older now. Her emotions do not get in the way as much as they once did.

But, those emotions and innate drives still affect her. Perhaps she tries to follow her mother's footsteps too closely. Her pride is also something that can't be overlooked. If the first rule of Evangelion is that everyone hates themselves, the second rule is that everyone looks for validation from other people. Asuka is no different: she seeks validation particularly through accomplishing great things that should make her worthy of praise and adoration. It is, perhaps, unique to her that she seeks to be seen as an adult because that would, in her mind, equate to being mature enough to withstand the pain of losing her mother. This, too, is an angle I wanted to explore through Asuka's tense relationship with Maya.

One of the big reasons I wanted to do right by Asuka this time is her relationship with Shinji. In First Ones, that relationship is present as well, and I felt that failing to explore Asuka's character and issues with due time and justice reduces her to a love interest role—one that feels obligatory, at that.

The basic idea of the story has always had a Shinji/Asuka relationship as a major element, but I think now, with Asuka's arc and Shinji's involvement in it, it can finally be said that that relationship is core to the story. Asuka is a constant presence throughout the piece, often acting as Shinji's sounding board when something's wrong. And as I've said throughout, it's important to me that their relationship be a mature and comfortable one. With all the personal issues at play, there simply isn't as much room for relationship drama. When I do use it, I try to have it augment the personal issues that the characters are already facing. In Asuka's case, Shinji's insecurities about striving for something greater—about his own complacency—contribute to him expressing a lack of confidence in Asuka. That's just as much a part of it as him watching her push herself so hard, possibly to the detriment of her own health. The two are inexorably linked this way.

Admittedly, the maturation of Asuka compared to her character in the series helps make her relationship with Shinji more palatable to me. Their canonical relationship is built around tension, lust, and insecurity. I dare say that, in the series, they are not even friends in a conventional sense. But at the same time, their mutual attraction is the basis for them coming to rely on each other and to support one another. They join the world after Third Impact together and alone from other people. No one else can really understand what they've been through—not once the memories of Instrumentality fade to half-remembered impressions.

As fraught with tension as their relationship is in the series, I do think that Shinji and Asuka complement each other well. Shinji is hard-working, meticulous, and compassionate; Asuka respects those qualities, and she seeks to make some of that compassion her own. For her part, Asuka is passionate, driven, and sharp as a tack. Shinji has much to learn from her motivation. Each is capable of maintaining a steady hand for some issues while having unique modes of failure when stressed.

Asuka's relationships with others are important to fleshing out her character. One of the things I regret still is that I couldn't find time for a good beat between Misato and Asuka during "Cherry Blossoms." I had an idea for one, with Asuka going on a tear when she found out about something Misato had done, but the timing didn't fit. Still, Misato offering Asuka a new opportunity in "The White Coat" is very crucial to me: the characters can, should, and must have interactions that don't involve Shinji.

Her relationships with Hikari and her mother are the same way. Like with Shinji, Hikari plays a bit of a foil to Asuka. Hikari is more level-headed. They share a common interest in video games. Hikari can look to Asuka for confidence when her own is flagging. Their friendship really rounds out Asuka's world.

With her mother, we can only infer their relationship from seeing Kyoko briefly. Those familiar with First Ones will remember that Kyoko had a much larger role in that story, basically in the position that Maya holds in The Second Coming. I thought having Kyoko constantly around would've made that relationship take up too much time and focus. Having her only around for this one scene means I can hit that beat very strongly when it is relevant and then put it aside for the rest of the piece. Anyway, Kyoko, I think, is a lot of Asuka's inspiration, and staying grounded is a big motivation for Asuka—if she doesn't stay grounded, so to speak, then she's leaving Kyoko to fend for herself. Asuka could never do that. She knows she can't afford to get carried away or lose herself. But at the same time, following Kyoko's example—something that Kyoko explicitly fears—is not necessarily the best course for Asuka.

Where Kyoko—and Yui as well—may have made a mistake was in embracing the uncompromising drive to accomplish something. Asuka internalizes this to such a degree that she's lost without it. And Asuka isn't the type to abandon that idea. It just needs modification—a tweak toward something more constructive and healthy. That's what Misato's idea—the idea of making her be an active part in guiding Nozomi, in being part of the team—is designed to achieve. Asuka's mentality isn't meant to come off healthy, but even unhealthy people can be guided toward doing something constructive and worthwhile. And I would hope it could be a step toward getting better.

The basic idea of the story has always had a Shinji/Asuka relationship as a major element, but I think now, with Asuka's arc and Shinji's involvement in it, it can finally be said that that relationship is core to the story. Asuka is a constant presence throughout the piece, often acting as Shinji's sounding board when something's wrong. And as I've said throughout, it's important to me that their relationship be a mature and comfortable one. With all the personal issues at play, there simply isn't as much room for relationship drama. When I do use it, I try to have it augment the personal issues that the characters are already facing.
And you're succeeding. The relationship is always there, affecting things and highlighting how both of them have changed and grown, but at the same time it's stable and stabilizing, never becoming the source of the drama itself. It's comfortable and past the usual tensions that too often characterizes relationships when they're the focus of the story. Here, it's a foundation element for both of them, something they can lean on when they need to, and it feels right since we know it's based on both their mutual attraction and the shared experiences of Instrumentality they were both at the center of. Their relationship informs and shapes their current personalities and thoughts without taking over things, and becomes something far more interesting than just another relationship drama.

Editing changelog: SV polish edits for 6.3/To Become One, minor rewrite of 6.2

second-an: wording fixes for Asuka character focus

6.2/Ataraxia:
  • Rewrote passage after Nozomi/Unit-14 emerges from the launch chute, up to Shinji returning to his quarters, as detailed in #306. - Comment: The passage should now progress in a more logical manner, dealing with the fallout of the control room siege before revealing Lorenz's escape and the takeover of Unit-14. Shinji and Asuka's reunion now fits more naturally into this passage as well.
  • Fixes for issues by @Ranma-sensei/#302. - Comment: One confusing piece of wording has been changed from "know people love you as much as you think you should" to "know how much people love you as well as you think you should".

6.3/To Become One:
  • Rewrote some scenes to use more narration instead of dialogue: Shinji's presentation to Misato; Kodama and Hikari's turn at the radio, reaching out to Nozomi; Captain Suzuki's battle against Seele insurgents inside Terminal Dogma
  • Asuka now appears at the end of the Hikari scene to notify Shinji that he's on the mission and to say goodbye
  • Cut some references to Ishikawa as Shinji is underway in the fleet--that plotline had previously been cut
  • Shinji and Suzuki now head to the battle site aboard Ise, not USS Bataan
  • Suzuki's team journeys to the Geofront by helicopter instead of boat - the airlock leading to Terminal Dogma cannot possibly be reached by boat, given the depth of Terminal Dogma relative to the center of the Geofront
  • Suzuki's team now bring an array of N2 warheads to Terminal Dogma, and Shinji has an interaction with the sergeant who is safeguarding the weapons

6.4/Hedgehog's Dilemma: minor wording changes throughout, and corrections to various ship names.

Part 6 General: corrected some references to Suzuki's rank (she's a captain, not a lieutenant).

second-revisions: board for rewrites of the rest of part 6

Tomorrow: 6.3/To Become One.

The Second Coming ends in 4 weeks.

Take heart, friends: Eisheth is watching, but she cannot stop us now.

6.3 To Become One
36. To Become One

I took my idea to Misato and Hyuga the next morning. The idea was simple: Ayanami had shown me a vision of a Geofront, and with her, I'd seen the white giant's chamber and a route from there to the outside. I couldn't remember the exact path in detail, but if I were there, it might come to me. All we needed was a starting point, and I had that: the airlock. There were only so many airlocks on the Geofront, in spite of its size, and I could pick out a particular one. I'd seen glyphs next to airlock control panel and etched above the airlock door. I didn't understand what they meant, but I was fairly sure they were a unique identifier. I drew them—an open triangle, a single dot, and an open hourglass shape—and Hyuga recognized them right away.

"They're digits from the First Ones' number system," he said, studying the drawing I'd made. "It reads as 3-1-5."

There were some minor details about that—the First Ones used a base-six numeral system, so the number itself wasn't three hundred and fifteen—but that was of no consequence. The core idea I had was sound. Based on photographs of the Geofront, we identified airlock 315. That would be our point of entry, and the vision I'd experienced, I would help lead an SDF team to the white giant.

But as Misato, Hyuga, and I went over these details in her office, Misato had one question for me:

"So we find the Seed of Life in her chamber," said Misato. "What then?"

That was a tough question. We could bring a bomb—or two, or ten?—to destroy the giant, but if she resisted, that likely wouldn't work.

Even so, I knew what I wanted to do. "We go there," I told Misato and Hyuga, "and we make her give Ayanami back. Whatever it takes."

Misato and Hyuga wanted some time to consider my idea and the part I'd play in it. Regardless of my role, the preparations to attack were underway. In 48 hours at most, the nations of the world would move on the Black Moon and Seele. Word was that our people would have to depart for the armada no later than the next day.

That left us with some time to plan, think, and wait.

The base was on edge. People were all over the place, going from one section to the next. Additional repair crews and technicians were on scene, working on the main control room, and military police took some of the captives back to Tokyo-2 for further interrogation and detainment. With so many people about, walking at a brisk pace from one sector to the next, anyone standing still was a stone among rapids, liable to be washed away at any moment.

I held my place against the current by resolving to reach Nozomi once again, and this time, I invited her sisters to help. The elder Horaki sisters—Hikari and Kodama—had been put up in a guest area on-base due to the circumstances. They might spend many hours on the radio trying to reach Nozomi over the next few days. It seemed a minimal kindness that I would be the one to show them how the transmitter worked.

The two sisters were uneasy, just like the rest of us. Stoic Kodama took a long time in front of the microphone thinking about what she wanted to say. At last, she made a halting plea: "Hello, Nozomi," she said, sitting forward in her seat. "This is Kodama. If you can hear me, say something. Hikari, Ikari, and I are all here—your family is here. We aren't going to stop reaching out and trying to get you home."

No answer. Kodama looked to me with a quizzical expression, offering the microphone back, but I encouraged her to keep going. We couldn't expect a response, let alone an immediate one. She kept trying, but it's hard to talk to a microphone and hear nothing back.

Horaki was having a hard time dealing with it, too. As Kodama made her appeals for Nozomi to answer, Horaki and I stepped aside, and she made some small talk. She lamented that she and Nozomi had just begun talking again—really talking—yet hadn't gotten anywhere.

"We thought it was best to take things slow," Horaki remarked, and she laughed bitterly. "We acted like there was all the time in the world."

"It's good to be careful," I said. "I don't think that was the wrong thing to do."

Horaki met my gaze from the side. "But she's a pilot. It's dangerous work. You don't always have time."

I sighed, and I glanced out the observation window in turn, even though the projector screens were blank. "That's true," I said. "But you were working on it. That has to count for something."

"For something." Horaki made a fist. "But we have to get her back."

"Yeah, we do."

Back in the corner, Kodama took her finger off the transmit switch, and she offered the microphone to Horaki. "Are you ready for a turn?" the eldest sister asked.

Horaki grimaced, and she glanced at me. "No one else is listening, right?"

I winced. "They…probably are, somewhere."

Horaki made a face at that, but she sighed, and she let it pass. Kodama passed the microphone to her, and Horaki cleared her throat, beginning timidly.

"Hello, Nozomi?"

Silence.

"Nozomi? Nozomi, can you hear me?"

A shiver went down my spine. For a moment, my mind wasn't in the observation room. I remembered sitting in the theater—the ephemeral theater that Ayanami and the stranger had shown me a few times. I remembered listening to Horaki. I couldn't see her; the screen was filled with Nozomi instead. Nozomi was in the entry plug, with vines and thorns from the Crown holding her up. Her breath caught at Horaki's voice, but she didn't respond.

"Nozomi, please," said Horaki. "I don't know if you can hear me. I don't—if you can answer, but you need to stay strong. Stay strong and keep fighting. Just be stubborn like always, and there's nothing they can do to you. Isn't that right? Nozomi?"

I'd seen it all before. I knew it was coming. I didn't want to believe it, but it happened. It was unavoidable. Ayanami saw it. I just didn't want to believe her.

As hard as we worked, as much as we tried, we were on a path to this state of ruin, this desperation, and nothing I had done could change that.

Did Ayanami know all of what the future held? Did she know that she would have to leave us? Was she avoiding that for all the time I'd seen her, ever since she saved me from the madman in the soup kitchen—the madman with the gun?

Did she try to avoid it and only realize that it was impossible?

And if she did, then what was the point of me sitting there, trying to reach Nozomi? Maybe Ayanami knew what would happen with that, too. Maybe she knew what the future held as far as anyone could imagine. If she did, then what was the point of any of this?

Horaki must've noticed what was going through my head, for she stopped transmitting and caught my attention. "Are you all right?" she asked.

I flinched. "What? Oh, sorry, yes."

"Do you want a turn?" She offered the microphone.

I laughed bitterly. "It doesn't seem to be doing much good. Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part."

Horaki's expression soured. "We can't control whether it works," she said. "What we can do is make every effort—our best effort—to try."

She forced the microphone to my lap, and I fumbled to catch it before it rolled away. Horaki shot me an expectant look, and I raised the microphone to my lips. I paused, my brow furrowing, before I said,

"Nozomi, I hope you can hear me. I hope you're still there. It's Ikari. I—"

I turned the microphone aside and gathered myself. I rose from my seat and paced beside the observation room window as technicians and repair crews continued to work below. So much damage had been done, yet they were coming along all right. They took out old, broken monitors and swapped them for new ones. They filled in holes in the wall with plaster and painted over them as if nothing had happened.

But the holes were still there, weren't they?

"I'm sorry," I said at last, looking to the communication station in the corner of the room. "I knew something like this might eventually happen. I didn't know what I could to do, not enough to stop it. We put you through a lot. We put you through too much. I don't think any apology can truly make up for that."

I glanced at Horaki and Kodama, and the girls smiled and nodded in return. I nodded back in respect, and I went on.

"You don't deserve to be there; you don't deserve to suffer like this," I said into the microphone. "We want to get you out, but I can't ask anything more of you. It's your choice to keep fighting to hold on or not. If you do…, then just know we're coming for you. I want you to know that. We're coming for you, and we will not stop until you're back with us. Count on it, Nozomi."

I switched off the mic, and I listened for several seconds—several seconds of dead air. Even so, I closed my eyes and listened anyway, hoping against all hope.

"That was very kind of you, Ikari," said Kodama. "Thank you for all you've done for her, these past few months. I think she's been better for it."

"She has been," said Horaki. "Definitely. Thank you, Ikari."

I bowed my head as the faint static in the speaker went on unabated. "I appreciate that," I told them, "but I'm not done trying."

I offered the microphone back to the Horaki sisters, but before Kodama could take another turn, there was a knock at the door.

"Any luck in here?" said Asuka, peering inside.

"Not yet," said Horaki. "Knowing Nozomi, she'll choose to answer when it suits her and not a second before."

Asuka huffed at that; the pretext of exasperation was more palatable than reality. "Keep trying; we'll get to her. Do you mind if I borrow Shinji for a minute?"

Neither of the Horaki sisters objected, and I went to the hall with Asuka, who pulled the door shut with a gentle touch.

"So, I just spoke with Misato," she said. "You're on for the mission."

"I am?" I breathed a sigh of relief. "Good, that's good. What about you?"

"I'm staying behind," she told me, looking away. "Maya wants to put something together to jam that mind control artifact. I'm gonna do a little double-duty between that and handling Nozomi, whenever she gets back to us."

"I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean to—"

"Of course you didn't." Asuka waved off my concern. "Don't worry about it. What I have to deal with should be the least of your worries." She put a hand on my shoulder and froze me with her stare. "Get them back," she said to me, "and get yourself back here, too."

I pulled her in close, hoping that the gesture would mean more than just words.

The main forces for the assault flew to the forward base the next day. Pacific forces of the international fleet gathered in Jakarta, an effort that was part coordination and part reclamation. Indonesia had fallen early in the war, but with the enemy on the retreat, humanity had taken the country back.

Or rather, we'd taken the land back—things like the airport and the harbor. Military people manned the port and organized people from the various nations to their ships, but beyond them, there was no one. There were few cars on the streets of Jakarta, and even where there were, they often had stopped in the middle of intersections or crashed into buildings on the side of the road. Even on the way from Soekarno-Hatta to the harbor, the caravan had to stop a few times for stray vehicles to be moved aside.

At the harbor, we were shown back to the helicopter destroyer Ise. As we got underway, I stayed on the deck, watching the waves and the sunset as we steamed for the Indian Ocean, but on a busy ship going to war, I wasn't alone for long.

"Are you feeling ill, Ikari?"

That was Captain Suzuki, leader of the assault contingent aboard Ise. She was short-haired and stern-faced, but she leaned over the railing, resting her elbows on the top, and stared out over the water with me.

"No," I said, nodding. "I used to get sick, but not much anymore."

"That's good for you, then." Suzuki popped two pills into her mouth and swallowed. "What changed?"

"Piloting."

"I see." Suzuki fished through her pockets, taking out a plastic bottle. "Dry run's in half an hour. You ready?"

"Yeah." I laughed to myself. "For all the good it'll do, I'm ready."

"That's all we ask." She took a swig while staring over the ocean.

"You think we have a chance?" I asked.

"I think we've planned, and we've practiced." She frowned, her gaze intensifying. "Everything else is out of our hands."

"Really?" I gawked at her.

"Yes."

"That's okay?"

"We don't get a choice in the matter." Suzuki fixed some stray strands of her hair, tightening them back into a bun behind her cap. "We can't do anything about it."

I glanced over the ocean again. The ocean waves broke against the ship's hull and dissipated in the wake behind us. Toward the horizon, the waves merged and intermingled with other crests and currents. They interfered with one another, muddying the wake.

The assault began at dawn.

I went with Captain Suzuki and her team. We took a helicopter, departing from the aft deck of Ise. The morning sun was like the backlight for a performance of shadow puppets: Unit-15 and Unit-16 stood above the horizon, casting long shadows over the ocean.

But even their shadows were dwarfed by that of the Black Moon. The sphere hovered over the water, and when the sun rose behind it, it was like a total eclipse—cold and dark.

Naval guns boomed, peppering the Black Moon's surface with shells, but the Geofront was so enormous that the bombardment was like trying to take down a skyscraper with airsoft pellets. The impacts lit up the Geofront with small explosions, but it went back to an inert black shell in no time at all.

On the far side of the Geofront, the Eva battled the Angels. Unit-15 and Unit-16 darted and zipped around the Disc Angel. Their jetpacks spewed blazing jets of gas. The Eva buzzed about the Angel like gnats. The Disc Angel lunged at the Eva in turn, over and over in suicidal attacks. Their AT-fields collided and exploded, showering energy over the ocean.

But we sped on under the unnatural aurora, bobbing with the air currents and eddies that swirled around the Geofront. The helicopter hovered along the outside of the Geofront's surface. Using binoculars, Suzuki's men identified the outline of a door, and a single man dangled from the helicopter to plant explosive charges. On the far side of the Geofront, the Eva and Angel shook the ocean whenever they fell, and the bombardment rattled the Black Moon, but as the sappers planted their charges and descended again, the rest of us held fast in the boats, waiting for the cue to go ahead.

KA-BLAM!

Debris showered down to the ocean. The SDF member on the tether went back down, stepped inside the gap, and planted another set of charges to break down the inner airlock door. He was raised clear, and—

KA-BLAM!

One last inspection, and the all clear signal was given. We were lowered two at a time to the door, with the first men inside pulling us through the gap.

Even still, smoke wafted out of the blasted airlock. I unclipped a flashlight from my vest, and I shined a light on the area. I inspected the area above the airlock door. The imprinted glyphs were worn, but the shapes were still legible: the open triangle, the single dot, and the open hourglass. 315.

Once the rest of the team had descended, Captain Suzuki did a quick headcount before getting us underway. "Everybody good?" she checked once more. "All right." She nodded at me. "Ikari, where do we need to go?"

The SDF members fanned out down two hallways; their rifle-mounted flashlights lit up a foggy atmosphere.

"To the right," I said.

The team down the left hallway pulled back and took the lead down the other passage, and Captain Suzuki and I followed from the middle of the group.

The inside the Geofront was far from pristine. We passed by corridors with no lighting at all, and the air was heavy with humidity. The dampness stuck to my skin like a film. It was more like walking through LCL than air.

After a while, we saw why that was so: some sections of the corridors had hollow doors, made of some synthetic metal or plastic in a honeycomb pattern. These weren't doors to rooms so much as access hatches to channels or ducts.

And what did these ducts carry, you ask? LCL of course.

When we passed by one of these access hatches, the LCL poured into the corridor and coalesced into walkers. They ambushed the two SDF members in the lead, stabbing them with those needle-like fingers, but bullets ripped through the beasts' bodies in short order. The walkers collapsed back into LCL once more.

"Watch for these!" ordered Captain Suzuki, who slammed her hand on one of those honeycomb grates. She tapped one of the men in front of us. "Are they coming back?"

Three of the SDF members circled the puddle of LCL in the corridor, but the liquid was still.

"Keep an eye on them," said Suzuki, and she motioned for the group to continue on.

We crept around the LCL puddle. Faintly, I could see a little of my own reflection in it, and even as we passed, the reflection was clear and the goo inert.

We passed a few more hexagonal grates like that first one, and Captain Suzuki's team obliterated the enemy walkers or shriekers in a hail of bullets each time.

In spite of those occasional interruptions, we pressed on. I did my best to remember the route, but in those dark and winding passages, with their confusing three-way intersections, I got disoriented a few times. Thankfully, the team had handheld pattern detectors on them. We needed the technology and my memories both. Where my memories failed, the pattern detectors gave us a direction to continue in. Where the handhelds pointed us at a wall, the memories of the vision reminded me how we could get around it.

We kept going like that until we reached the chamber.

The chamber itself was an artificial lake of LCL. We crept down a set of networked walkways over the lake, and the paths funneled us toward the center:

…where the white giant sat half-immersed in the liquid and stared at the back wall.

The giant was totally unresponsive. Suzuki shined a flashlight in its five eyes, but each eye blinked independently of the others in no clear pattern. We tried speaking to the giant; I even yelled at the beast, "You came all the way here just to stare at us like a dumb cow?" but still, nothing. On Suzuki's orders, one of the SDF members leveled his rifle on the creature and fired. There was so little reaction that we weren't even sure the bullet hit the target.

So much for negotiations. So much for persuation. So much for making the giant surrender. We couldn't even so much as scratch the thing, let alone make it listen.

With the giant unresponsive, Suzuki radioed for the second team to move in. They came some minutes later, wheeling a pallet of N2 explosives to the foot of the giant. The array was composed of sixteen warheads stacked in a four-by-four square and at least as tall as I was. Suzuki ordered that the men directly attach a few of the weapons to the giant's body, but the best they could do was float a couple warheads by inflatable boat to the giant's legs.

If the thing wouldn't listen to reason (or anything at all), the best we could do was kill it and make sure its power could never again be used against us.

But were weren't totally undisturbed while these preparations were underway. One of our patrols encountered resistance in the passages outside the main chamber, and Suzuki had her people dig in for a firefight. As the last weapons were being armed, I took cover on the center walkway, behind a portable barrier, while Suzuki took most of her people closer to the entrances. The SDF team erected black synthetic barricades ten meters or so in front of each entrance to the chamber, and the tunnels flashed with gunfire. SDF members took cover behind the barricades, peering over them to shoot down the passageways.

Captain Suzuki was right there with them. She lay down behind a barricade and barked orders to her men. More to the left, she told them. Get new magazines.

But when a bullet grazed one SDF member's shoulder, a whole barricade team shut down. Another man put his rifle down to tend to the wounded, but Suzuki was having none of that. They had to dress him up and get him out. They had a job to do. "We're holding this chamber," she instructed them. "We're holding it as long as we have to. Don't let them get the best of you!"

All the while, I stayed behind cover on the central walkway. As the SDF members made their stand, the popping sounds of gunfire echoed through the chamber, and the room rattled as grenades shredded the entrance halls. We were fighting so hard for this position—a position we would ultimately abandon, if given the choice.

But more and more of the enemy came for us. They descended on the chamber from all directions. Seele militants and alien creatures threw their bodies at the entrances, shrugging off bullet wounds like they were pinpricks.

And as one of the entrances was breached, one of the SDF members on the central walkway armed the N2 array. I made eye contact with the man, a sergeant under Suzuki's command, and he shot me a look of regret.

"I'm sorry," he said to me. "If they get any closer, those are my orders. We've got one shot at this."

One shot to destroy the enemy and be destroyed in turn. And all to destroy what—some inert giant that stared lifelessly at us? That had taken Ayanami away from me and didn't even have the nerve to act smug about it?

No way.

So I rose from the center barricade. I stomped to the end of the platform, and I challenged the white giant:

"Well?" I said to her, raising both arms. "How much more do you want? You got Lilith; you're going to get all of us. And you still want more?"

The giant didn't move. She just bled and bled into the lake beneath us; dark red fluid seeped out from her loins, swirling into the lighter-colored LCL that formed the rest of the basin.

Scowling, I took off my pack, and I jumped into the fluid, swimming from the end of the platform.

"Hey!" I yelled. "Wake up!"

Nothing.

"Kid, what are you doing?" yelled the sergeant. "Get back here!"

But I ignored him. I kept shouting at the giant, even as I tried paddling to it. "You don't get to come here and take all of that from us! Not for the sake of—of—whatever you wanted to accomplish! Say something!" I cried. "Look at me!"

I splashed to the giant's leg and clung to it like a bear to a tree trunk. I pounded my fist on the creature's skin. It rebounded off like a ping pong ball off a paddle. I beat the giant again and again, but the beast didn't even flinch.

"You moron!" I shouted. "What do you think this is going to do?"

I dropped my fist on the creature's side one more time.

And that hand sank into the giant's bubbly flesh.

I yelped, and I yanked my fist out. The giant's flesh stuck to me like bubblegum, but it all snapped back into place, more willing to stick to itself than to me.

Even so, I stared at my hand and then glanced back at the giant's body. I wiggled my fingers.

The giant's eyes were unmoving. The SDF members at the barricade rotated when they ran out of ammunition, but enemies had breached the tunnel entrances. Their bodies piled up in the open, and their rifles clattered on the floor as they fell.

I looked back to the tunnel we came from—an old tunnel, which some of the synthetic paneling around the frame decayed and in pieces. It hadn't always looked that way, I'm sure. Once upon a time, people had walked through a tunnel like that one, and it looked pristine and new.

I closed my eyes, and I took a breath.

I flattened my right hand and put all the fingers together.

I pushed with the tips of my fingers into the giant's leg, and my hand sank into it.

My arm sank into it.

I pulled myself tighter against the giant's leg, and the creature took me. The white, bubbly flesh crawled around my face and eyes.

My breath caught, but I couldn't breathe. The stuff of the giant's body choked me.

And it was dark.

It was dark, but something flickered in front of my sight.

The sight of a girl—a girl in white and green, and with red eyes.

"You shouldn't be here," said Ayanami, stern and disapproving.

She stood over me. My arms—I had arms!—rested numbly on purple, velvety armrests.

"Don't be hard on him, Lilith. He has a long time to think about his mistake."

The voice came from behind us. Up and back, next to a spinning film projector, the hooded stranger peered out at us, casting a long shadow over the room thanks to the projector's light.

"Hello again, Shinji Ikari," she said. "Welcome back to the theater of eternity."

Last edited:
Asuka will be angry with him.

The Disc Angel lunged at Eva in turn, over and over in suicidal attacks.
On the far side of the Geofront, the Eva and Angel shook the ocean whenever they fell, and the bombardment rattled the Black Moon, but as the sappers planted their charges and descended again, the rest of us held fast in the boats, waiting for cue to go ahead.
I think those two instances needs an article.
But were weren't totally undisturbed while these preparations were underway.
I think you mean 'we'.
Seele militants and alien creatures threw their bodies at the entrances, shrugging off bullet woulds like they were pinpricks.
'wounds'
And that hand sank into giant's bubbly flesh.
Article again.
I looked back to the tunnel we came from—an old tunnel, which some of the synthetic paneling around the frame decayed and in pieces.
Not sure which English you are using, so I thought I'd point it out.

I really hope you're not making a Titanic mistake here, Shinji. But then again you came along on a possible suicide mission with N2 mines. No wonder Asuka was so specific about you making sure to come back.

Editing changelog: SV polish edits for 6.4/Hedgehog's Dilemma, cleanup for 6.5

6.3/To Become One: fixes for issues by @Ranma-sensei/#313

6.4/Hedgehog's Dilemma:
  • Reduced the discussion between Misato and Asuka's scenes.
  • Rei no longer attempts to influence Misato's segment, and Eisheth therefore no longer acts in turn: therefore, Unit-15 and Unit-16 remain on the scene during Misato's segment, and Ise is not teleported away during the battle
  • Rewrote Shinji and Rei's conversation after Misato's segment, emphasizing Shinji's state of mind, attitude toward Rei, and the mutual decision to have Rei act
  • Eisheth teleports Ise and the rest of the fleet away after the above
  • Rei explicitly asks to be able to reach Nozomi

6.5/One Billion Years Later:
  • Proceeds according to the revised board: Rei is more intent on stonewalling Eisheth
  • Revised and trimmed down Shinji's scene with the other seeds: Kaworu is more cavalier, etc.
  • Shinji asks Eisheth to show him why she's taken this action, and she willingly shows him her past
  • Additional changes to Rei and Eisheth's confrontation upcoming

second-revisions: more board for the Rei/Eisheth confrontation in 6.5. Rei emphasizes their past obligations and friendship.

Tomorrow: 6.4/Hedgehog's Dilemma.

The Second Coming ends in 3 weeks.

Take heart, friends: Eisheth is watching, but so are Shinji and Rei.

Let me say a few words here about what's going on with the edits to part 6. I'm beginning to feel that a full understanding of it won't come across without some explanation.

The original draft was completed rather hastily back in August. I've long been dissatisfied with a few parts of it: the control room takeover by Aoba, the aftermath of Shinji merging with Eisheth, the follow-up to that, and then the last part (which is effectively an epilogue).

The control room takeover has already been shown in revised form. In the original, Shinji withdraws further from everyone else in mourning over Rei. I felt that was inappropriate; it was too much of a step back from the progress he's made over the course of the story. Instead, I put him back in a more active role, but that necessitated a change to how the control room siege plays out. I didn't want him to be there when it happened, as that would've been very awkward and difficult to write. Putting Asuka in jeopardy was part of the original draft and something I wanted to keep, as it made Shinji's fears very visceral. Overall, I'm happy with how this turned out in revision (with the help of folks here): there is a natural progression of dealing with the control room threat to seeing the takeover of Unit-14.

The installment you guys will see tomorrow has been streamlined a little bit. It was originally a little too busy, as it moved from a scene with Asuka to a reaction, to Misato and then another extended reaction, and then to Nozomi. The version you guys will see tomorrow has trimmed down that first reaction scene and put more emphasis and beats in the second one. This should result in more even pacing; Shinji and Rei spend the most time contemplating a way forward when it's become clear that the current course isn't working. In the original, it felt like they were moving too quickly between approaches.

Next week's installment is still undergoing some revision, but I'm hopeful it will be improved as well. Part of the original draft revolved around Shinji finding some information about Eisheth's past and motivations on his own, which felt clumsy and inappropriate as a means to sway her. In the new revision, Eisheth freely offers this information, hoping to bring Shinji to her side and point of view. In the original, Shinji plays an instrumental role in the confrontation against Eisheth--too instrumental, in my eyes. One thing I want to avoid is the temptation to make Shinji the linchpin to all dilemmas. He should play a role, but not necessarily the most important one all the time. Instead, the revised storyboard has Rei playing the most important role in confronting Eisheth, and given how I've tried to establish a history between them, I feel positive about this course. It also offers an opportunity to put a bow on Rei's story.

In two weeks, we'll hit the main conclusion of the story. I felt concerned that this part was too short, but changes required elsewhere should give me enough content for an ample and satisfying end. The major beats are sound; they only needed a little more room to breathe.

And then in three weeks, we'll get to the epilogue. This is being entirely rewritten according to new storyboards. The original was more of a timeskip, and I felt that that was inappropriate. Seeing the characters transition out of a state of war to embrace their futures is what I'd like to get into, and instead of a very abstract idea about what Shinji would do and how he would influence the world going forward, I have something more concrete in mind. I hope that it is something people will find satisfying.

Thanks again to all of you out there.

6.4 Hedgehog's Dilemma
37. Hedgehog's Dilemma

I found Ayanami there, in the theater, but there was no warmth in that place. A chill permeated the air, and the hooded stranger's icy smile offered no comfort, either.

"Well, Shinji?" she said. "You've come all this way."

The stranger and Ayanami both watched me, and their stares pierced me like laser beams.

"Uh, right!" I exclaimed. I faced down the stranger. "You! You need to end this. End this, and leave us alone."

Ayanami grimaced, and the stranger's lips curled in amusement.

"Really?" said the stranger. "That's the best you can do?"

Ayanami stepped in front of me. "He shouldn't be here. Let him leave."

"I'd be happy to let him leave," said the stranger, "if only someone weren't keeping us here!"

Looking aside, Ayanami glanced at me. "I'm sorry, Ikari. I owe her too much. General Katsuragi and the others—all humanity—they still have a chance. I won't jeopardize that."

I took Ayanami by the hand, and I caught her gaze. I smiled. "That's all right," I said. "I'd want to be there with them, but no one else can stand with you right now. So this is all right. It's why I'm here."

Ayanami smiled slightly, and she nodded. "Thank you."

In the back of the theater, the film projector spun up. "How sweet of you, Shinji," said the stranger. "But it's all for naught, you know."

I snarled. "Shut up!"

"Lilith is so confident, so certain to believe that humans can overcome what I've pitted against them." The stranger came down the steps with a rhythmic, deliberate gait. She could've balanced a book on her head—she was that steady with her step. "This is the hour mankind fails."

I stormed to the foot of the staircase, stopping the stranger there. "What makes you so sure? Why do you want this? Why did you betray Lilith and the others?"

The stranger clicked her tongue and shook her head. "I betrayed nothing and no one. Humanity was always going to fail. I'm merely speeding up the process. Let me dispel your illusions of goodness, Shinji. Lilith and I both can peer into the hearts of men. We see how flawed and destructive you are. The only difference between us is that Lilith still stubbornly believes you can change enough to avoid your self-destruction."

The stranger took a step to her right, looking to pass me, but I moved into the gap, blocking her.

"You're wrong," I said.

Looking up, the stranger froze me with a knowing smile. "Am I?"

The movie screen came to life, awash with the color red. The shot was an overhead view of the Black Moon hovering over the Indian Ocean. Allied ships were mere specks on the red water. The Disc Angel and the two Eva were like action figures—that's how small they were compared to the scope of the battle.

And as I took in the sight, the stranger walked by me, taking a seat in the front row.

"Lilith," she said, "shall we continue?"

Ayanami shot a cold stare at the stranger. She nodded, ever-so-slightly.

"Ayanami—" I began.

"Please, sit," she said, touching me on the shoulder. "The only way to convince her now is for her to see that she's wrong."

"How do we do that?" I asked.

"We have faith."

We sat together, in the front row. I fidgeted in the velvet seats: the back and the seat angle weren't quite right, but the back wouldn't lean any further, and the seat was as long as it was going to get.

The hooded stranger sat on my left, and the three of us were a captive audience to the fate of the world.

The overhead view of the battle faded to black, and the scene began.

"In the Case of Asuka Langley Soryu"—the words flashed on a black background, and the screen came to life once more.

Back at the base, Captain Ibuki's team worked feverishly in their lab. Lining the walls were three portable whiteboards. Equations and diagrams covered every square centimeter—none more central than a sketch of Unit-14 with the Crown of Thorns around its head.

"What if we sever the neural connections?" offered one of the scientists. "How far in do the vines go?"

"Not sure," said another. "The Eva could be a marionette by now, for all we know."

"So anything neural is out," said Maya, who drew a red X over the Eva's neck. "The answer here isn't going to come from manipulating neural connectors or force-ejecting the entry plug. Where does that leave us?"

The scientists shrugged and sighed all around. One of them even tossed a pen aside as he rubbed his forehead and groaned.

But not all of them were so frustrated. Asuka wasn't. She was hard at work.

At her cubicle in the lab, Asuka pored over lines of code, graphs, and tables. While the others were still trying to brainstorm ideas, Asuka generated a set of plots on her computer, but none of them were to her satisfaction. She tapped a pencil eraser on her desk and scowled at the monitors, but that didn't help matters much, either.

"How's it going here?" Maya peeked into Asuka's cubicle. "Any luck?"

Asuka sighed. "I'm getting some attenuation, but not enough."

"How much?"

"12 dB."

Maya winced. "That's not close, is it? We were thinking we might need 19 or 20."

"I've still got some things to try: different spectral profiles, frequency modulation…"

"Okay, hope there's something to it," said Maya, "but if not…" She took a chair from an adjacent cubicle. "Do you have a minute? I think we might have something, but it involves the engine."

Asuka glanced at the monitors. "I'm still waiting for some results. What's up?"

"Tezuka was thinking about using the puncture engine to prase-shift the anti-AT field and use that to generate some attenuation."

"Promising." Asuka nodded, still looking at the monitor. "Should be as easy as running a large amplitude current through the engine with the right phase."

"Really?"

"More or less," said Asuka with a shrug.

"Great!" said Maya, beaming. "I'll tell her. Let me know if you think of anything else that might help, all right?"

The windows on the screen flickered, and Asuka turned toward the monitor, typing at some on-screen prompts.

Maya rose, and she put the chair back at its cubicle.

Asuka did some more typing, and some text popped up at the bottom of a window: 13.2 dB.

Frowning, Asuka sat back in her chair. She tapped her eraser end on the desk for a time. Then, she sat up straighter and looked over the cubicle wall to the whiteboards, where Maya and other scientists were brainstorming again. They were already working on something else involving frequency jamming.

Asuka snatched up a notepad and sketched a pair wave patterns, each 180 degrees out of phase with the other.

She tapped her eraser on the notepad binding for a time.

Then she tossed the notepad aside and typed at her computer. The 13.2 dB result disappeared, and the computer began churning for numbers once again.

"Do you see now?" At my left, the stranger leaned forward to catch my eye. "People work to outgrow their bad habits, but at the slightest stress, they fall back into them."

"You know that isn't true," said Ayanami, refusing to even meet the stranger's gaze. "There are countless counterexamples."

"But they will fail eventually," said the stranger. "It's only a matter of time."

And time was the enemy. How much time would Asuka spend there, in front of her own computer, while the rest of Maya's team worked toward a solution? How many seconds would they waste, toiling in parallel without learning from one another?

Oh how I wished Asuka would prove the stranger wrong. If I could've shouted at her to get out of that chair and talk to the others, I would've. But my voice wouldn't carry through the screen. I'd been reduced to a spectator, just like Ayanami. The most I could do was watch and have faith.

And the stranger seemed to delight in that. So sure she was of her point of view—all we needed was one person to prove her wrong.

"We're not all like that," I insisted. "Even if Asuka doesn't make a breakthrough, someone will."

"Really?" The stranger laughed. "Are you sure about that?"

"Let's continue," said Ayanami, shooting the stranger a pointed look.

The stranger waved her hand, and the projector resumed, but the film cut to black before we resumed another place, another time, and another subject.

"In the Case of Misato Katsuragi."

Misato, Major Hyuga, and the many of the mission staff coordinated the battle from the flag operations room aboard Ise. Sailors and control staff marked the positions of important elements: ships in the fleet in their formations around the Black Moon, Unit-15 and Unit-16 as they battled the Disc Angel, and Japanese and other special forces within the Geofront structure—all ten thousand cubic kilometers of it.

But Misato wasn't in much of a position to do anything. The American and German Eva slugged it out with the Angel, hopping between floating platforms and rocketing into the sky to keep pace. The ships of the fleet held their stations, not wanting to draw closer to the battle zone. The ground forces within the structure were already delivered, and all Misato could do was listen and wait.

Her comm officer gave a report about Captain Suzuki. Suzuki notified them that I had disappeared, and that they could not count on holding the position much longer. They were prepared to withdraw to the central platform, beneath the giant, and detonate the N2 weapon array, even if it cost their lives.

Misato looked to Hyuga, who gave her a grim nod.

"If the chamber can't be held," said Misato, "then we must ask them to proceed. If there is an opportunity for them to escape, they should pursue it, but only if that doesn't compromise the detonation. Am I clear?"

The comm officer relayed the order, but Misato's mind was elsewhere. She leaned on another strategy table, one that showed cutaways of the Black Moon. As one staff member updated Suzuki's position on the floor plan, Misato hovered over that spot, muttering,

"Where did you go, Shinji? We needed you here."

The film cut to an exterior scene. Unit-15 and Unit-16 buzzed about the Disc Angel, bashing against the Angel's AT field. The collisions lit up the morning sky. The Angel was on the defensive: the American Eva, in blue, white, and red, caught hold of the Angel's AT field by the teeth and tore a layer off.

Recoiling, the Disc Angel fled toward the Black Moon. It flew underneath the sphere, in the narrow gap between the bottom surface and the water. The two Eva—equipped with jetpacks—followed in the Angel's path, but the Angel had kicked up a wake of spray and choppy water. The mist gummed up the American Eva's jetpack intake, and the Eva tumbled into the sea. The German Eva backed off, veering away to find another course of pursuit.

That gave the Disc an opening. The German Eva had pulled back; there was nothing between the Disc and the bulk of the allied fleet.

The Disc turned edge-downward, and it sped toward an aircraft carrier. Flying just a few meters over water, the Disc kicked up a V-shaped wake. It sliced through the carrier's port side, cutting it in two.

"Get the captain on the horn," said Misato, scowling. "We need to get some distance."

"General," said one of the comm officers, "Admiral McNamara for you."

Misato picked up a red phone on the side of the strategy table. "Katsuragi here."

"General, it seems the situation has changed," said the American on the other end of the line. "We're committing our destroyers to suppressive fire on the Angel and rescue efforts. The bombardment is on hold. Send your best special operations forces to airlock 1121. We're going to try the same trick you pulled to get at Seele and Unit-14."

"Admiral, sir, I have to advise against that. We're 80% of the way through the outer armor of the Geofront. We can break through with a continued bombardment. If you rely on special forces for infiltration, there is no guarantee they'll find a way to Unit-14 in time."

"Do you suggest we sit here defenseless while the Angel rips our fleet apart?"

"I would rather try. We have a chance here, Admiral."

"Not enough of one," said the admiral. "Decision's made. Protect your people."

Scowling, Misato pounded her fist on the strategy table. "Protect them how? There is no protection here, John! There is no refuge from what Unit-14 is about to unleash. If you play it safe, you are leaving your people and mine to Instrumentality. That's bullshit. You know that's bullshit."

The staff in the operations room stared, but Misato shrugged off their gazes like a statue.

"John?" she demanded. "What's your answer?"

"I'm sorry, Misato," said the voice on the other end of the line. "This comes from above me."

Shaking her head, Misato slammed the phone back on its base. "As you were," she announced to the room. "Continue the bombardment!"

"General," said Hyuga, hovering at her side, "how can we alone break through the Geofront's armor in time?"

"We're going to keep shelling it until we don't have the ordnance to try any longer."

"Yes, ma'am."

And so, even as the helicopter destroyer Ise steamed at full speed away from the Angel, sailors held fast on its guns and missile launch bays. They unleashed hell on the Geofront, bombarding the surface with explosive shells and warheads. Other Japanese ships in the armada kept up the attack, and that one spot on the Geofront's exterior pulsed with flame.

"How close are we?" asked Misato, watching the bombardment intently.

"90% through the primary superstructure," said an officer.

"Good. And the Angel?"

"Bearing 090 at 1500 meters—1200—1050. Shipboard defenses are acquiring target."

The ship rattled. Fire from the smaller point-defense guns rattled the ship.

"No effect," said the officer. "Negligible impact."

The German Eva—in red and black with white stripes—came screaming around the Geofront's lower edge to pick a fight with the Angel. The Eva latched onto the Angel's AT field like a mosquito to a bull, but the Angel twisted itself into a harrowing spin. Glowing bright, the Angel was a second sun over the ocean. It was so intense that I shaded my eyes just to protect myself.

And then the Angel stopped. It stopped, and a counterforce rippled through the air. A sharp wavefront shot from the Angel's body, twisting the air and the ocean below. The German Eva was flung aside and left to the mercy of this artificial tornado; it floundered as it tried to navigate a straight course and keep up with the Angel.

But the Angel moved on, bearing down on the helicopter destroyer Ise.

Misato bowed her head. "So here we are," she said, laughing to herself. She watched a dot on the radar screen close in on Ise, and in vain, she formed her thumb and forefinger into a mock gun. "Bang," she said, pointing at the screen.

The Angel cut through the port side of Ise. The ship lurched and shook. The lights went out, and Misato was thrown against a plotting table. Ise was wounded and bleeding; the two halves of the ship split apart. The crew lowered lifeboats while rescue ships converged on the scene—and as they did, other destroyers and gunboats in the fleet were cut down in turn.

As their guns went silent, the damaged surface of the Geofront held firm. A tiny bit of light poked through a section in an upper octant, but that was all.

Inside the Geofront, Captain Suzuki and her men held only the central walkway against the combined forces of Seele and the walkers. Her people lit the N2 array, obliterating the chamber. The LCL evaporated; the blast carved out the walls of the room, leaving gashes across the honeycomb superstructure.

But the white giant lay at the bottom of the crater, blinking intermittently. There wasn't a scratch on the beast. It stared, eyes never wavering, and I looked back at it.

"Can we take a break?" I asked, pulling at my shirt collar.

The hooded stranger nodded, and the projector spun to a halt.

"Ikari—"

Ayanami reached after me, but I scampered up from my seat and strode down the right aisle to the back of the theater.

There was another pair of double doors at the back of the theater, each with a small, rectangular window. I shaded my eyes, but the view beyond was dark.

"Is there something this way?" I demanded. "Or is this room the only thing I'm ever going to see again?"

The hooded stranger flicked her hand in my direction, not looking at me.

I breathed in and out, and I pushed ahead.

I pushed into a hall of movie theaters, extending as far as I could see in both directions.

Not knowing which path was the better one, I faced to the left, put one foot ahead of the other, and started walking.

In the past, I'd often gone walking on my own. It's helpful to be away from people. It's helpful to see a little bit of the world yourself. In wandering, you gain some perspective. You see so many other people laughing and eating and moving around. None of them know you. Your problems and worries are your own, you realize. They don't matter as much to anyone else.

That's the feeling I was going for, but I admit that I may have walked out of the theater without thinking it through. The hall of theaters outside was desolate and devoid of other people to distract me. There were countless other theaters playing who-knew-what. There wasn't even a concession stand with overpriced soda or candy.

Nevertheless, I wandered down the hall for some time. It became a point of stubbornness or defiance, even. Have you ever started on a puzzle and not known how to solve it? Like a Rubik's cube, say—I once started a Rubik's cube, and I was young enough that I couldn't figure it out on my own, and I was too strong-headed to look up common tricks and techniques, so I spent hours on that thing. I spend the better part of a night and into a morning turning and twisting that thing.

Eventually, I gave up. I peeled the stickers off and "solved" it that way.

And like the younger me back then, I grew tired of treading through the endless hall only to find the same thing I'd seen ten minutes before, and ten minutes before that, and on and on. Nothing was ever different.

So after a time, I ducked into one of the theaters to see what was playing.

"Yes, let me see." A boy dipped wooden spoon into a pot of soup, and he tasted a few drops, smacking his lips. "I think that's good."

Another man in an apron nodded, and he carried the pot of soup out into a cafeteria, where a number of ragged, scraggly people had gathered in two lines, waiting with trays and empty bowls.

And the boy watched them through a crack in the double doors to the kitchen. He did not dare walk out or show his face.

There were a lot of theaters like that one. In another, Misato was a common GSDF officer, overseeing disaster relief and troop movements to secure remote areas of Japan. In another still, Nozomi spent her days under the bridge, drawing until the sun went down while her sister stood on their home's doorstep and gazed over the old rice paddies, waiting.

I slammed the door to one of the theaters and stormed down the hall again; there was no point in watching any of that. I hadn't come all the way there to be subjected to that. Our lives were not more wonderful or fulfilling just for having chosen to be a part of this conflict.

Still, I kept popping into theaters every few steps, looking for something interesting. I ran across one in which Asuka and I were childhood friends, my mother was still alive, and Misato was our absurdly-attractive teacher. Sounds ideal, right? It's everything I could've wanted.

And yet, after an hour or so of wacky antics and sexual awkwardness, I grew tired of that, too. It was like I'd grown up seeing only in black and white, and when I first caught a glimpse of color—real color—I found it scary and confusing. Seeing myself living a happy life, with trivial worries—that didn't sit right with me, either.

So, what is the place I could be in, then? Where did I belong?

Those were both relatively inconsequential concerns, considering I was stuck inside the head of an alien creature, but they stayed with me anyway.

And so, I kept searching.

I poked my head into another theater and found something more familiar.

"This wasn't in the simulator, so I'm gonna need an idea!" That was Nozomi's voice. She and Unit-14 were trapped in a shared AT field illusion. False reflections of the Eva stared back at them wherever they looked. One of the Angels clung to the Eva's flesh and armor like a corrosive cloud.

I sat down in one of the back rows and closed my eyes as the rest of the battle played out. The scientists worked out a solution thanks in part to a suggestion from Asuka, and Asuka, in turn, was asked to relay the instructions to Nozomi.

"Manoah Base Control to Evangelion Unit-14, do you read?" asked Asuka.

"I've got you, Soryu," said Nozomi. "Please tell me we're not gonna do all the formality every time we talk."

Asuka laughed at that, and in my theater seat, I smiled too.

You know, I'd been very proud of her in that moment. I was happy for Asuka. She made herself a little better that day. She made herself better when I—I had doubted her. A lot of people had. Asuka grew to want to like herself, enough that she changed something she didn't like.

It was just after Nozomi broke through the illusion and started the final attack that someone else entered the theater. My eyes snapped open, and I went to the edge of the staircase, peering over the railing to the entryway below.

Ayanami was there, looking back at me.

"Hey," I said.

She nodded—only once, only slightly. "How are you?" she asked.

I laughed. "I've been better," I said. "You?"

Watching the screen, she said, "I've been better."

She glanced to me, smiling a little, and I laughed again. "You wanna come up?"

She nodded, and she came up the ramp and the stairs. I offered her the seat by the aisle, and we sat together for a time.

The film transitioned to Nozomi and Unit-14, which shattered the false hall of mirrors. Reality seeped through the cracks and washed away the illusion, revealing the Fractal Angel.

"Is there more you want to see?" asked Ayanami.

I shrugged. "I don't know if there's a point."

She narrowed her eyes. "Don't think that way."

"It's happening again," I said, looking to the ceiling. "How many times are we going to have to go through this?"

Ayanami reached across the armrest and took my hand in hers. "As many as it takes," she said. "I won't give up on you."

"Maybe you should," I told her, squeezing her hand back. "You don't deserve this. You shouldn't feel forced to help us like this."

"I want to."

The projector came to life again. The shot showed my father's office as the seven scientists made the case before their people. Standing front and center was Lilith, and in silence, she made her impassioned plea to the government of her kind: dare to strive for salvation for all their people, even if it would take new bodies and new worlds to do it.

"I still believe," said Ayanami—the Ayanami beside me. "Don't start thinking that our failure is inevitable. It might be, but there's no point in giving in to that. That way leads to what she would do."

I sighed, and I closed my eyes. "I'm sorry, Ayanami. I thought I could come here and save you, but you don't need rescuing, do you?"

She squeezed my hand tighter. "Thank you for trying," she said, "but Ikari, you should think about something you can do, not what you can't."

What I could do, huh? What could I do that cosmic beings unstuck in space and time couldn't? I couldn't move mountains or make bridges build themselves. I couldn't see the future.

All I had was what was on my mind, what I believed in.

I stared at the screen again. The picture was black, but the projector was still spinning. Images had flashed before my eyes and gone, but the memory of them was still fresh in my mind: the memories of Asuka, Nozomi, and Misato.

"Our friends are in trouble," I told Ayanami. "Do you think we can still sit here and hope they'll pull through?"

Ayanami pulled away from me. "We'd give up a lot," she said, "to help them now."

"I have faith," I said.

The girl with the red eyes looked to me, and she smiled. "Then let's try," she said.

We walked back to the enemy's theater in silence, and the hooded stranger was there to greet us as soon as we pushed through the double doors.

"Shall we continue?" asked the stranger, barring our way at the top of the ramp.

"Yes, but we have terms," said Ayanami. "I allow us to intervene again, but when this is over, Ikari will be allowed to leave if he chooses."

The stranger cocked her head. "You still owe me a great deal," she warned.

"I accept that."

The screen behind the stranger came to life. The view was another overhead shot of the allied fleet—in disarray as broken ships were being evacuated. With just a twitch of the stranger's head, each of the ships vanished, wiped away like dried ink from a whiteboard.

"Your debt is paid," said the stranger. "Now, Lilith—you wish to intervene further?"

"I would speak with Nozomi Horaki," said Ayanami.

The stranger scoffed with amusement. "Very well. I agree." She stepped aside, and Nozomi—

Nozomi was there.

She sat in the front row. Her elbows were on her knees, and her hands were on the back of her head as she faced straight down.

"Nozomi?" I took the seat on her right and shook her shoulder. "Nozomi, are you with me?"

"Shut up," she said weakly. "Just be quiet."

"Ikari." Ayanami kneeled in front of Nozomi, and she caught my eye. With a twitch of her head, she indicated the theater screen.

Nozomi was there, too: vines held her up within the entry plug. They snaked around her wrists and ankles. They suspended her above the entry plug chair, with only red emergency lights to give form to the dark.

But the dark was far from silent.

"I understand your pain."

Keel Lorenz. From a campsite of makeshift tents, his Seele cohorts worked on computers or monitored a series of wires and cables that connected those computers to the vine and root system of the Crown of Thorns.

And Lorenz himself? He bombarded Nozomi with propaganda, amplified by megaphone.

"There's no use in holding on to it," Lorenz went on. "Let go of it. Be free of it. Make it all go away."

"Just shut up already," said Nozomi, curling into a tighter ball.

But for every person she asked to leave her be, there was someone else ready to speak to her.

"Hello, Nozomi?"

Like her sister.

The screen shifted scenes to the observation room in Manoah Base. Hikari Horaki sat at the corner seat by the computer and microphone. Her sister Kodama brought in a tray with two teacups, but Horaki sipped briefly and put the cup aside.

"Hello again, Nozomi," she said. "I hope you're doing well."

Nozomi scoffed, but back in the base, Horaki heard none of that. She shuddered and took a deep breath. She looked to the ceiling for a moment before continuing.

"I know I can't really imagine what you're going through right now, but I'm still here. Sister and I are still here, and we're still hoping to hear from you, to see you find your way home."

Horaki switched the microphone off and slid it aside. She sipped her tea, but the cup rattled in her hand, spilling a few drops on the observation room's tile floor. Horaki set the cup aside, too, and she wiped up the spilled droplets with a handkerchief. She breathed heavily, and when she was done with the spill, she balled up the handkerchief and clutched it in her left hand.

"We want to see you safe, and—" Her voice wavered. "No, I want to see you safe. We are not done talking. We only just started, I think. We have a lot to talk about—game sprites and landscapes and all that. And how we've hurt each other. I think we should talk about that, too. I'm counting on you to come back, so we can talk about that, Nozomi." Horaki's voice grew bolder, and she rose from her seat. "Promise me that, all right?"

The girl in the seat next to me was looking up. She tilted her head and stared at the screen.

"Don't be an idiot, Hikari," she said. "I can't promise you anything."

At that, the hooded stranger reached across the armrest on Nozomi's right. She took Nozomi's arm and leaned into view, saying, "That's because she doesn't understand you."

"Shut up," I snarled.

"She doesn't," said the stranger, who showed me a knowing nod before turning her attention back to Nozomi. "If she did, your sister wouldn't ask that of you."

"She's trying to understand," said Ayanami, who was still down on one knee in front of Nozomi, trying to catch her eye. "She wants to reconnect with you, and you with her. You were trying."

"You admitted there was a problem," argued the stranger. "And that problem was with you. You couldn't change the way you wanted to. Everyone has something like that in their heart—something they're blind to. Something they just can't change."

Nozomi brought her knees up, onto the seat. She turned her head to the right, away from the stranger and Ayanami, but her gaze went right through me. I held her fingers, but she didn't return the gesture. Her hand was limp.

"Nozomi…" I waved a hand in front of her eyes. "Please, I—I didn't understand you once, either. Things changed."

"You changed." Her eyes snapped to me, even as her head rested sideways on the seat. "You changed. Hikari changed, but I'm still here."

"Sad, isn't it?" remarked the stranger. "You force them to change for you, but you don't change for them. How many more do you think will try?"

Nozomi's gaze broke away from me, and her eyes slowly shut.

"No one," she said. "No one should try anymore."

On the screen, a surge of light burst from the Crown of Thorns. Keel Lorenz raised both fists in the air, and they were the last of him to hit the ground when he dissolved into LCL.

Horaki's teacup in the observation room sat half-empty next to a pile of clothes.

LCL splashed across Asuka's keyboard and monitor. A new result popped up on her screen, showing a reduction of 14 dB, far short of the target she was hoping for.

The broken ship Ise sank near an unfamiliar shore—where the stranger had taken them I couldn't say. Lifeboats in the vicinity drifted as LCL pooled within them, staining empty uniforms—including a uniform with cherry blossoms stitched into the collar. A cross-shaped pendant floated in the puddle.

And Nozomi Horaki was gone. The girl in the chair next to me was nowhere to be found.

I pounded my fist on the armrest, not that it would do any good.

"Lilith," said the stranger, "our work isn't finished. I hope we can put this conflict aside now, to look to the good of our children."

Ayanami looked back at the stranger with narrowed eyes, but she nodded wordlessly.

"Good." The stranger nodded toward me. "And what of you, Shinji Ikari? Do you wish to return?"

I watched a view of the Earth from space. The planet turned. The oceans ran red. The cities and streets were inanimate, for cars sat idle, with no one at their steering wheels.

"Return to what?" I remarked.

The stranger nodded at that. "Stay if you like," she said, "but there is much work for us to do."

I nodded in turn, and as the view on the screen turned to the Black Moon collecting the souls of humanity from the oceans, from every trace of LCL on earth, I sat there and watched.

I balled my hand into a fist.

I relaxed, spreading my fingers.

And I curled them up again.

The stranger left us there to watch the world succumb to Fourth Impact, and as the wave of anti-AT energy poured over the Earth, I understood the mistake I'd made. Ayanami said it best:

"I'm not finished fighting this," she said, standing beside me. "We have time to undo it—as much time as we need."

I'd rushed headlong into the giant seeking answers and salvation. I'd played the game on her terms and seen my friends fail because of it. I couldn't afford to make that mistake again. Though it may take a day, a week, a month, or a year, I would be patient, and I would persist—not because of the aching in my heart but because I, like Ayanami, believed that the world we hoped for could become real again.

The time would come, however long it might take, to see humanity—to see my friends—assert their right to leave Instrumentality, as long as they wanted to.

And I would be watching with Ayanami in the theater of eternity for that moment to come, to help make it real.

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say: Ouch.

"Tezuka was thinking about using the puncture engine to phrase-shift the anti-AT field and use that to generate some attenuation."
'phase'
Misato picked up a read phone on the side of the strategy table.
'red', or 'ready'?
We're going to try the same trick you pulled to get at Seele and Unit-14.."
One full stop too many, at the end.

"In the Case of Asuka Langley Soryu"—

the American Eva, in blue, white, and red
How ingenious!
The German Eva—in red and black with white stripes
At least they didn't go for a black-red-gold colour scheme. :V
I ran across one in which Asuka and I were childhood friends, my mother was still alive, and Misato was our absurdly-attractive teacher. Sounds ideal, right? It's everything I could've wanted.
Now, where have I seen that before...?

Damn, Ranma-Sensei beat me to it.
Still, I kept popping into theaters every few steps, looking for something interesting. I ran across one in which Asuka and I were childhood friends, my mother was still alive, and Misato was our absurdly-attractive teacher. Sounds ideal, right? It's everything I could've wanted.

And yet, after an hour or so of wacky antics and sexual awkwardness, I grew tired of that, too. It was like I'd grown up seeing only in black and white, and when I first caught a glimpse of color—real color—I found it scary and confusing. Seeing myself living a happy life, with trivial worries—that didn't sit right with me, either.
Odd to think that this Shinji has a far healthier relationship with his Asuka than the one in Angelic Days/Episode 24/Shinji Ikari Raising Project Manga... And that this Shinji knows too well that an ordinary life of mundane cares is not for him. Everything he could of wanted... but it's not for him. He fought for and earned what he has, and knows the value of what he gained.
"In the Case of Asuka Langley Soryu"—
That was a good fic and a good Instrumentality segment.
Horaki's teacup in the observation room sat half-empty next to a pile of clothes.

LCL splashed across Asuka's keyboard and monitor
Lifeboats in the vicinity drifted as LCL pooled within them, staining empty uniforms—including a uniform with cherry blossoms stitched into the collar. A cross-shaped pendant floated in the puddle.
Ouch... Each alone, too, the ones they care for not there with them.

In my defense, it's described back in Part Two as being mostly blue and white with only red accents. It's totally not an American flag streaking by. Absolutely not. Nuh-uh.

Odd to think that this Shinji has a far healthier relationship with his Asuka than the one in Angelic Days/Episode 24/Shinji Ikari Raising Project Manga... And that this Shinji knows too well that an ordinary life of mundane cares is not for him. Everything he could of wanted... but it's not for him. He fought for and earned what he has, and knows the value of what he gained.

There is definitely some appeal to me in the notion that the stress of post-3I drives Shinji and Asuka to get better, in a way that a perfectly happy and tranquil world might not. In reality, I'm not sure that's how things actually work, but like I said, it has some appeal.

Back