Editing changelog:

5.3/Progenitors II: fixes from @Ranma-sensei/#245

5.4/The Forge:
  • reworded one sentence as the guards allow more staff into the room
  • General wording cleanup/paring down

strip-tex: changed plaintext output to asciidoc-like

Tomorrow: 5.4/The Forge.

The Second Coming ends in 10 weeks.

Take care, friends. Eisheth is watching.

5.4 The Forge
30. The Forge

Sasaki and I spent most of the next two days training, and we developed a much better rapport. We were united in a manner of thinking and acting that Nozomi and I had never experienced. We had a common purpose and a shared ideal.

I understand people might find that statement unconvincing. Let me tell you about just one example of us working together, working as one.

It was near noon, two days after Sasaki's shaky performance in Russia. After spending most of the morning on scenarios with two Angels to fight, Major Hyuga and I decided to shake things up a bit.

"Okay, Sasaki," I said, standing at my station in the control room, "we're going to add a third Angel here."

The boy on the screen pulled at his plugsuit's collar and sighed. "Ikari, do you think that's realistic? What chance do I really have against three Angels at once?"

"A better chance if you practice than if you don't," I said, and I tapped a pen on the edge of my monitor to stress the point. "Now, who decided you should be here?"

He gulped and composed himself. "I did."

"Then what are you going to do?"

"As long as I choose to be here, I'll give everything I've got."

"Good boy," I said. "Now, here's your situation: three Angels are attacking a desert airfield. Do what you can to protect the aircraft on the runway. Deter or kill the Angels as needed. Got it?"

"And the enemy?"

"The two you've been fighting and the disc-shaped Angel from Africa."

He nodded at that and took a deep breath. "Okay. I'm ready."

I nodded in turn to Hyuga. "We're ready."

"Good," said Hyuga. "Let's begin."

The simulation coalesced; digital wireframes aligned themselves into hangars and control towers. The color of the earth grew out of the wireframe landscape like boils—brown and sandy. Though mountains loomed in the distance, there was nowhere to hide in this place: Angel or Eva, you could be seen for kilometers all around.

The Mist Angel swarmed in the sky, teeming and alive like a cloud of bees. The Quadruped rampaged through the base, smashing buildings with its feet and chomping down on aircraft like they were toys for a dog. The Disc Angel from Africa rolled over the landscape. A yellow, swirling froth of energy, it was bound together by unseen walls, and it shattered runways underneath its weight.

Unit-14 approached the base with nothing but flat land behind it, and the Angels took notice. The Disc turned about, and it raced toward Unit-14. The spinning creature kicked up sand and dirt in a V-shaped wake.

Major Hyuga gave the first order. "Don't give it time to react," he said. "Outmaneuver it."

Sasaki was a better pilot by that point. He'd learned to be confident as well as to listen. I relayed the major's instructions, and Sasaki did what he was told. He was a very good boy.

Unit-14 charged the Disc. The lumbering bear lurched forward with its two rows of eyes and its perpetual, sinister grin, as though it relished the chance for battle and bloodshed, but Sasaki kept cool. He ran the Eva straight at the Angel, planted the Eva's left foot in the dirt, and jumped away. The Angel sped past, and Unit-14 rolled to its feet and dashed onward to the base.

He was desperately needed there. The Quadruped tore through a hangar, warping and twisting the metal roof as though it were thin plastic wrap. Unit-14 turned to meet the Quadruped, but the Mist Angel intervened. It formed a corrosive curtain, blocking one whole side of the base from the Eva.

"It's all right," I said in the microphone. "Try to cut a gap and barge through it."

Unit-14 drew its prog knife, and it cut a gash in the curtain. The gap was narrow, and the Angel's corrosion ate at the Eva on both sides, but the Eva's AT field held, and Sasaki broke through.

But what he broke through to wasn't a safe place at all.

"Watch out!" I cried.

The Quadruped tackled Unit-14; it chomped on the Eva's torso, and its maw put pressure on the Eva's AT field and abdominal armor plates underneath.

"Urk!" grunted Sasaki. "Ikari—Ikari, what can I do here?"

The Eva writhed and punched helplessly at the Angel, but the Quadruped's jaw held on. The Angel thrashed about, slamming the Eva into the ground like a dog with a child's doll.

I looked to Hyuga, who watched with narrowed eyes. "Can't activate the engine," he said. "He'd be crushed. Just let it play."

I took a breath, planting a hand on my desk, and I said, "Okay, Sasaki, just ride it out. It can't hold on to you forever."

He cast a surprised look at the camera. "I'm supposed to just let it keep eating me?"

"It can't eat you," I said, "if you're stronger than it is. You're here, and you're in control. Remind me: what do you need to do?"

"Give everything I've got."

"Can you say that again?"

"Give everything I've got!"

"Give everything you've got," I said, pumping a fist for the camera, "and it can't beat you. If your soul is stronger than that thing's, it can't beat you."

So Sasaki held fast. He took the punishment the Angel dished out. The simulation shot pain into his stomach from the maw's pressure, and the beast beat Unit-14's legs into the ground.

But try as it might, the Quadruped couldn't break through the Eva's AT field. It clenched its jaw and pressed down, but the barrier held in place, spraying the light of the soul through the desert. The light cast long shadows from the hangars and blinded the virtual camera.

The Angel gave up, and it spat Unit-14 out. The Eva tumbled over a runway, and it landed half-draped over a heading sign.

"Now, get up!" I said, pounding my fist on the table.

Unit-14 rose, wobbling on its feet. Sasaki squeezed the controls tightly, and he asked, "Can we go for the kill?"

It was more of a statement than anything. I don't know if he would've relented if I'd said no.

"Take it out," I said, grinning.

Unit-14 charged. It lead with the prog knife as though holding a spear, and the Angel, growling and chomping at the bit, answered in kind: it leapt into action, kicking up dust as it ran. It came at the Eva with an open, frothing maw.

"Okay, engine activate!" I cried.

Sasaki pushed the switch on the activation lever, and Unit-14 left its feet. The AT fields collided in a shower of light and then reconnected with a snapping sound: TSCH!

And Unit-14 barreled through the maw of the Angel, coming out knife-first through the Angel's back.

"Good job!" I said, grinning. "Now, next target!"

The next target was the Disc Angel, which had circled around and was bearing back on Sasaki's position. He turned the knife over in the Eva's right hand, so that it pointed downward or to the outside of his body. As the golden disc blazed toward Sasaki, Unit-14 ran and picked up speed as well. Sasaki raised the Eva's arm to stab in a side-to-side, left-to-right motion, and—-

The scene froze. The Angels turned to wireframes, and the environment vanished.

"What?" cried Sasaki.

"That's time." Hyuga tapped on his watch. "Get something to eat, gentlemen. And your break needs to be one full hour this time, not fifty-nine minutes in a pinch. Those are the regs."

I looked up at the clock: ten seconds past noon. I sighed, and I got on the headset. "Good work still, Sasaki. We'll work on the rest of that scenario after lunch."

"Got it. See you at mess." He shot me a confident smile, and I returned the gesture. The boy really was coming into his own.

I started packing up my things, but Hyuga was already ahead of me, and I had some business with him, so I hurried to get the folder of exercises under my arm. "Ah, Hyuga!"

He stopped in the control room doorway, and I ran up to him. "Yes? What is it?" he asked.

"I was wondering, about the afternoon session—"

He frowned. "Do you need the full time again?"

"Yes, I think we do," I said, "but that's not what I wanted to ask about."

"No?"

"No, I was wondering what we have in terms of four-Angel scenarios."

He rubbed his brow and shook his head. "Shinji, there aren't four Angels in this hemisphere. I'm not sure that's something we should spend a great deal of time on. You've got the three-Angel scenarios. Those could take all day today, and tomorrow."

"Yes, I understand," I said, "but still—if an Angel from the Americas were to come here, I'd like to work on it." I took out a folder and started flipping through it, showing him the papers inside. "I have some ideas about it, actually."

"For tomorrow?" he asked.

"Or the next day?"

Hyuga looked at me with an intense, inscrutable expression. He looked between me and then Sasaki on the projector screen. Watching Sasaki, he said,

"I'll look into it."

I thanked him for that, and I told him I'd see him at lunch once I'd put my materials away. He seemed to understand, though I think he wasn't listening very carefully.

What I was building with Sasaki wasn't something everyone else understood. Hyuga definitely didn't understand it, and he wasn't the only one. I heard from another of those people when I got back to my office: as I put down my folder and locked up my drawers to go to lunch, I noticed a few missed calls on my office phone—from Horaki.

I sighed and shook my head, but I picked up the phone. There's nothing to be gained by avoiding someone, so I called her.

"Horaki residence," she answered.

"Hi, Horaki; you were looking for me?"

"Ah, Ikari, yes. Do you have a minute?"

"Only one, maybe two. It's lunchtime, and I don't want to lose my place." I leaned on one foot as I stood by the phone. "What's going on?"

"It's about Nozomi: I'm told they're releasing her today, and they're going to let her go home to recuperate. I want to do what I can to help her here; I was wondering if she told you anything else."

I scratched the back of my head and sighed. "I'm sorry, Horaki, but I haven't spoken to her since just after you left."

"Not at all?"

"No, sorry. I've been very busy trying to get Sasaki up to speed. He was way behind; he's better now. Hopefully I'll have more time later."

"How much later is that supposed to be? It's been three days."

"Sasaki's progress has to be my priority right now; if I can make him half as good as Nozomi, that'll be a big relief for everybody here. I'm just trying to make sure I have an opportunity to help her later, that I'm still going to be here later." I smiled even though she couldn't see me. "I know it's hard. I just…I just don't see how else to do it, you know?"

"So, you'll be up here to check up on her, right—at some point?"

I glanced at the clock. "At some point, yes, definitely."

"All right, then," she said. "Go on to lunch. Tell Asuka to call me, okay?"

"Of course. Thanks, Horaki."

She didn't answer. She didn't really understand. She just pretended to.

I didn't blame her for that. Few people could really appreciate the gravity of the situation. After all, Japan had been untouched to that point. We were all safe and comfortable—minus some shortages of supplies. Those who'd lived to see Tokyo-2's Angel invasion were a small minority, and they were inclined to just forget.

Sasaki and I worked through scenarios for the rest of the afternoon. There was no shortage of Angels to try him against or battlefields to drop the Eva into. It was work we couldn't have done without a lot of other people programming the simulations and setting the parameters for each exercise. It would've been a waste to leave their work unused, after all.

Around six, we came up on our mandatory break again, timed to coincide with dinner, and that was fine by me. Hours and hours of time in the simulator helped Sasaki learn how to react and make decisions, but there was only so much that could be seen in real time. We recorded each exercise for later review and analysis, and just before dinner, I snuck to my office to check some film. Sasaki had been fighting the Disc Angel in the simulator and got his foot run over, and I replayed some footage to see if he had a chance to dodge.

As I was going frame-by-frame through a clip, there was a knock on the door. It was Asuka.

"Hey," she said, wearing a red sweater and brown slacks. "You coming to dinner?"

"Ah, yeah, just needed a minute," I said, going back to my computer to lock it. "Sorry about that. Hyuga isn't mad, is he?"

Asuka shrugged. "Actually, I told him we might go out tonight."

"Yeah? Where to?"

"Prigioni's?"

I winced. "That's a bit of a hike."

"Too busy for a romantic Italian dinner, huh?"

I glanced at the phone, with its blinking light and pixellated display of missed calls.

"All right," I said, smiling. "Prigioni's it is."

Let's make one thing clear: Asuka wasn't the type to plan something like this for her own sake. She enjoyed the glow of the spotlight, but she wanted other people to be the ones to point it her way. One time, the Japanese government asked us to participate in a dinner honoring us and Misato. I didn't want to go, but Asuka was into it at first. She signed up in a heartbeat, but when they asked her what kind of food she wanted, or if she'd accept a statue or just a plaque or whatever, Asuka hissed at the phone and said,

"Isn't that your job to decide? Surprise me!"

And she hung up the phone and got back on her laptop to work.

I didn't bring that up while we were on the way to Prigioni's, but it was in the back of my mind. Asuka wanted my time, and I saw no need to refuse her.

It was warm and muggy as we left the Defense Agency building in National Square, and the Square itself was alive, just like the insects that chirped and buzzed about. Reconstruction efforts in the square had seen the old fences taken down and most of the walkways and facades repaired, but the fountain was still cracked and drained of water—a reminder of what had happened, of what couldn't be allowed to happen again.

Prigioni's was in the old city, where bus service was spotty and some of the smaller buildings and homes had fallen into disrepair. Even so, Signora Prigioni kept hold of her old restaurant even after Instrumentality. It wasn't much to hold on to—an open kitchen on the left side with just a small handful of tables against the wall on the right—but it was hers, and she wasn't letting go.

Only one couple was seated there when we arrived. A young man, seated facing the door, noticed us right away. He met Asuka's gaze and touched his partner's hand, but Asuka quieted him down:

"Shh," she said, putting a finger to her lips and winking. "Can you keep a secret?"

The man nodded at that, and his companion smiled and nodded as we passed. Asuka didn't miss a beat, leading us to the table at the back-right corner of the room. She drew a red curtain behind me, and I sat in front of it, with Asuka facing the door. She exhaled and relaxed visibly as she sat.

"Nice to see the sun again," she said. "I think I'm getting too pale—sitting under those fluorescent lights all day long."

True, it was a change from the base. Instead of plastic and metal and cool white lights, we had the warm glow of fake candles and the rough, irregular texture of a wooden table and chairs.

But we didn't have a lot of time to enjoy the scenery: a stout woman with a wart on her nose came to our table. With a red apron over her clothes and a notepad in hand, she was all business until she looked up and saw our faces.

"Ah, you're back! You're back, my dears!" She hugged Asuka with one arm. "How have you been?"

"Good, very good, Signora," said Asuka. "How's Alessandro?"

"Oh, he's being a bum," said the signora, scowling. "He's taken up with a woman—a police officer. She's nice—too good for him, really—but now he has ideas of becoming a police officer himself! Can you imagine?"

I winced. "Is he losing weight?"

The signora shook her head, eyes wide. "I wish! For his sake, I wish. That might be the only good thing to come of this." She reached out a hand to me. "And how are you, Dear?"

"Hanging in there," I said, grasping her hand for a moment. "It's nice to get out and see you."

"You two are always welcome," she said with a smile. "But!" She clapped her hands, and she picked her notepad up from the table. "I know you must be busy. Do you need menus, or do you already have something in mind?"

"For times like these," Asuka began, "it's nice to get something you know. Seaweed spaghetti for me, please."

"Meatballs and rice, please," I said.

"You got it," she said, jotting down our orders, and she disappeared back into the kitchen.

A server soon came by with a pot of tea, and Asuka poured out a cup for herself.

"Isn't this nice?" she said. "Nice to see the signora again, right? Or to spend time with people you care about?"

I coughed. "Asuka…"

"What?"

"Did you talk to Horaki?"

At that, Asuka's smile vanished. She slid her teacup aside, folded her hands, and leaned forward. "Yes," she said. "I talked to Hikari. Don't you think it'd be nice to take her here—her, and Suzuhara, and Nozomi?"

I sat back, watching the specks of tea leaves in my cup. "I think Nozomi would feel like a fifth wheel there."

"That's not the point!" Asuka tapped her finger on the table. "What's the deal, Shinji? What's got into your head all of a sudden? I thought you and Nozomi were close."

A server stopped by again with some bread and oil. I took a slice and dipped it into the saucer of oil. I shook it so any loose droplets would fall away, and I said,

"I thought so, too, but…" I sighed. "…there's been a lot Nozomi's kept from me. I'm not sure what I can do about that right now."

Asuka's expression softened at that, and she ran a finger around the rim of her teacup. "So, that's why you're doing double doses of exercises with Sasaki now?"

I shrugged. "I have to do something."

"You chose to be here."

"So I need to give it everything I've got, yes."

Asuka nodded at that absently, still running her finger around the teacup rim. "So I've heard." She folded her arms, and she leaned forward again. "That's a nice-sounding sentiment, but I think you need to be careful, Shinji—with yourself and with Sasaki."

"How's that?"

"You never really wanted to be a pilot. I always did." She put a hand to her chest—to the ribbed fabric of her red sweater. "I was gonna be the one to save the world, and I pushed myself to make that happen. But I think you and I both know that girl didn't really care about saving the world—not the way she should've, anyway." She took a slice of bread from the basket and held it up for both of us to see. "Just like if you're an Italian chef, you probably don't care about the bread, but people expect you to care, so you do what you're supposed to do."

I frowned. "You think I don't really believe in this?"

"You do, or you don't. If you do—if you really do—then don't worry about it." She shrugged. "No sense in doing otherwise, right?"

"I don't want to be better than other people," I said.

"I know that. That's not you."

"But I don't want to stay the way I am," I went on. "There are lots of people out there—like you, or Misato, or Hyuga, or everyone else in the base—and they're all working hard. They're working so hard. I won't betray them."

Asuka raised an eyebrow. "So you need to do more?"

"Yes."

"And how much is that?"

My mouth opened slightly, but no sound came out. Thankfully, I wasn't on the hook for very long: the signora came by again. "Food's almost ready!" she told us, and we both smiled at her.

The reprieve was short-lived, though, as Asuka's penetrating gaze settled back on to me. The best I could do was say,

"Asuka."

"Yes?"

"Why spaghetti with seaweed?"

She let out a sharp breath, shaking her head. "Well, if you must know, it was something Mama used to make. How she got good seaweed outside of Japan I'll never know."

"It's pretty good," I said.

"I think so, too."

"What was it—the last time we were here, I tried it?"

She nodded.

"Thanks," I said, "for introducing it to me."

I touched her fingers, and she closed her hand over my own.

"You're welcome," she said, smiling. "That's what I'm here for."

Late the next day, we got word that the Angels were making for Shandong Island, an important Chinese port.

Sasaki was dispatched straight away, and as afternoon turned to evening, I stayed on the line with him. Piloting an Eva at night is ten times worse than in the daylight: without the grounding of a horizon and scenery, it's a easier to get lost in the beast. Keeping a voice in his head was a way to make sure he'd stay in his own mind.

"How is it in there?" I asked at one point.

Sasaki cast a silent, exasperated look at the camera. Unit-14 was strapped to an airplane once again, and you can't exactly take a book to read on the way over. Sasaki's arms floated in the LCL, but he was buckled in place. The result was not a happy image.

"Yeah," I said, "that's about what I thought, sorry."

"Maybe next time," he suggested, "you guys can let me out of the harness? It'd be nice to go for a swim every once in a while. I'm feeling a little stiff."

I looked to Hyuga, who shook his head. "Turbulence."

"No go on that," I said over the radio. "You could take a bump."

"Thought so." He sighed.

"Well," I said, "look at it this way: get an Angel killed today, and there will be one less left to worry about. Then it'll all be over soon."

He nodded at that but said nothing, and I took my hand off the transmit switch. It was a break in the conversation, and that was a good time for a sip from a can of coffee. Who knew if the Angel would even dare to engage us at night? Sasaki could have to spend the whole night outside of Japan—and in Chinese hands, no less.

"Ops," said a controller, "we're seeing a drop in RPMs on engine number three."

I put down my coffee.

"Any word from the pilots?" asked Hyuga, trotting over to the far side of the room.

A flight controller pressed down on her headset earphone. "No, we have no communication with the flight crew for the last six minutes."

I got on the radio. "Sasaki," I said, "do you think anything's wrong here? Have you heard anything? Seen anything?"

He held out his hands and shook his head. "Ikari, I can't even crane the Eva's neck. What am I going to see?"

Not much, admittedly, but he did have a forward-facing view. For most of the flight, we kept the Eva's eyes closed to protect from wind damage, but Sasaki opened the Eva's eyes, which flooded the entry plug visualization system with twilight.

"Exterior floods?" I suggested.

A pair of shoulder-mounted lights came on, showing the top of the aircraft and the wing surfaces.

As well as a pair of dark shapes that crawled along the top of the wing.

"Major!" I yelled. "Major, what is that?"

Hyuga grimaced as he saw the images on the front projector, and he raced to the front. "We need those floods rotated; what do we have here?"

Another controller worked his console, and the flood lights turned to illuminate the enemy: a pair of shriekers, with their rotating mouthparts and triplet eyes, clung to the top of the starboard wing. Exposed by the light, they swung underneath the airframe, and a cone of light and energy blasted through the number four engine, furthest to the Eva's right. Two of the engines were smoking husks, and the plane began to drift to the right.

A clamor went through the room, but Hyuga was on the case.

"Okay, people," he said, raising a hand. "Okay, listen, listen up. Let's get the full staff on scene, right now. This plane is going down. Navigation and Launch Systems, we need to get the Eva clear and to a safe splashdown point. Liaison, we need the PLA, SDF, and any other friendly forces on scene for recovery and defense. Everyone else, do what you need to do to preserve functionality for a wet landing. This Eva is going down.' He clapped his hands. "Now, let's get to it!"

The room went abuzz. Guards opened the doors for additional staff and controllers to make their way in.

"Ikari!" cried Sasaki. "What's happening? What do I do?"

I leaned forward as I pressed on my transmitter. "Sit tight," I said. "The plane's going down; we're going to do everything we can to get you home safely."

"How is that going to happen?" he asked.

I slid my can of coffee aside, and I stared at the overhead image of the plane veering further and further to its right—and all over dark blue water.

"I don't know yet."

Last edited:
"Prigioni's?"

I winced. "That's a bit of a hike."

"Too busy for a romantic Italian dinner, huh?"

I glanced at the phone, with its blinking light and pixellated display of missed calls.

"All right," I said, smiling. "Prigioni's it is."
Listen to your genius girlfriend, Shinji. She's smart and knows you.

And shit... Angel's are getting clever. Attacking the plane in transit? I bet the flight crew is already gone. That really should have set off some alerts: losing any communication with them for six minutes straight?

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm a little sick and didn't feel up to reading much of anything.

Clever Angels are a nice change of pace to the canon iterations that barely qualified as boss battles.

Not much I found in mistakes, but I'm not a hundred percent, so....
It was warm and muggy as we left Defense Agency building in National Square,
I think this needs an article.
Reconstruction efforts in the square had seen the old fences taken down and most of the walkways and facades repaired,
'façades'

Editing changelog: SV polish edits for 5.5/Anchor

5.4/The Forge: fixed issues by @Ranma-sensei/#256 - 'facades' fix declined (bbcode generator currently does not support it).

5.5/Anchor:
  • Wording and sentence structure fixes; some narration should now be more direct
  • When Sasaki makes to light the jetpack, Unit-14's orientation is now more clearly at-odds with Shinji's instructions
  • Added a beat when Shinji asks Rei to intervene on Sasaki's behalf
  • The hooded stranger is less overtly hostile toward Shinji
  • She now fades away rather than disintegrating

On Thursday: 5.5/Anchor.

The Second Coming ends in 9 weeks.

5.5 Anchor
31. Anchor

The people in the control room were very good at their jobs. They were quick to assess the situation, calm when delivering their analyses, and determined to find solutions even in the most dire of situations. For a few moments, I let myself watch Major Hyuga and the rest of the control room staff figure out the best course of action. Everyone had a turn to speak, and they all made the most of the time they had. It was all very orderly. If you were just looking at them, you might not have even realized it was an emergency at all.

That worked both ways, of course. It meant that they were calm despite the immense, continuing pressure of an Evangelion going down over open water. It also meant that, when the navigation controller told Hyuga the best course of action, it came out steady and measured, despite the gravity of the words:

"Recommend detaching the Eva and attempting to glide to Yantai Island."

There was just one problem with that: Yantai Island—the smaller island northeast of Shandong—was over 100 kilometers away. Unit-14 and its dying plane were adrift over the Yellow Sea, with nothing but dark water all around.

The shriekers blasted the engines with their siren songs, and when the plane was but a gliding metal husk, the shriekers started cutting through the wings. Each scream was like the flame of a blowtorch. We were lucky to get the Eva detached and gliding before the plane began to tumble.

Sasaki was a wreck. There's no more helpless feeling than being stuck in the deployment envelope: you can't do anything, and you're just along for the ride. Nozomi always hated it, and Sasaki was much the same. Guidance for the envelope was up to the on-board computers, which did their best to steer the Eva toward Yantai, but with the Eva flying head-first, Sasaki was suspended by the seat restraints and holding on to the controls for dear life.

"Ikari!" he cried. "Are you sure it's all right? I think I hear something: a banging, or something crawling around?"

If there was, we couldn't see it: the Eva's head was fixed forward-facing in the deployment envelope, so Sasaki couldn't see, and the overhead satellite view didn't show anything out of the ordinary, either.

I looked to Hyuga, who got on the comm loop with the rest of the controllers. "Do we have any explanation of this banging heard in the plug?" he asked.

"Should just be normal stresses associated with course adjustments," said another controller. "Don't usually make so many adjustments early after detaching."

"We think it's all right," I told Sasaki. "Just unusual amounts of course corrections being made."

"Are you sure?"

The controller threw up her hands and shook her head.

"As sure as we can be at this point," I said.

Sasaki shot a nervous look at the camera, but he said nothing more. He just gripped the actuation levers a little tighter and steeled himself for the most nerve-wracking fifteen minutes of his life.

The other controllers were still hard at work trying to find a way to save him. They started talking about a series of jetpack burns to try to eke out the last few kilometers to land or to get the Eva closer to shallow water. The Liaison controller ran his mouth in Chinese to get the PLA to help with recovery efforts.

But all I could do was sit there. We didn't have a procedure for this. We'd fought countless battles against Angels, but something as simple as an aircraft failure over water? No, we were unprepared. The book wasn't written. Someone didn't have the foresight for it. We prepared so much for what we knew could be a problem. We were fools that way.

It left me watching the time tick by on the control room's master clock. With each second, Sasaki covered another hundred meters. The dot on the map grew closer to land, but he was bleeding altitude. The Eva wasn't a real glider, even in the deployment envelope. At best, it was a brick with wings.

But even a brick with wings is better than just a brick, and the enemy understood that, too.

"Ops," said the detection controller, "pattern yellow is on the move."

"Course?" asked Hyuga.

"Course projected for intercept fifteen kilometers south-southeast of Yantai Island."

The Mist Angel.

With mere minutes to intercept, Hyuga and the controllers devised a plan to deal with the Angel—or rather, to minimize the damage it could do.

"If it destroys the Eva's wings, Unit-14 will sink like a stone," said the navigation controller. "We'll have ninety seconds of full jetpack thrust to get us the rest of the way to Yantai, and that's it."

"Then that's what we have," concluded Hyuga. "As soon as the Angel gets here, if it compromises the envelope's wings, we use the jetpack to make distance and soften the landing."

I relayed this to Sasaki; he didn't take the news well.

"I'm just supposed to sit here and let it happen?" he asked.

"There's nothing we can do to fight it," I told him.

"And I'm going to be on the bottom of the sea with an Angel floating above me—I'm going to be a sitting duck!"

Hyuga came next to me, answering as soon as Sasaki was through. "If they want to fight him underwater, let them come," he said. "We've got to get him there safely first."

"We're prepared to take the chance," I said over the radio.

Sasaki scoffed at that. "I'm gonna die down there…" he muttered.

I took my finger off the transmit switch. "Don't we have anything else?" I asked Hyuga.

He shook his head. I looked past him, at Misato's desk, but she had her hands steepled, and she only raised both eyebrows and shook her head in turn.

One thing was certain, whether Sasaki and I liked it or not: the Mist Angel was coming.

Its haze cast a shadow even in the fading light. It flew in front of the moon, tainting that pure, white glow with a hint of blue. It hovered over the Eva, lying in wait like a lion stalking its prey.

And it was just a matter of time before it pounced: a corrosive tendril pierced the twilight and sliced through the Eva's right wing.

"Okay, that's our cue," I said over the radio. "Envelope jettison."

The black pieces of plastic blew apart, and the two halves tumbled away. Unit-14 assumed an aerodynamic shape, with its arms flush against its sides as it fell head-first.

"Okay, Sasaki, we'll need you to turn onto your back so the engine can buy you altitude and distance," I said.

Unit-14 extended its arms, and the drag pushed its upper body over its feet. The Eva fell feet-first. The jetpack's main thruster fired, backlighting the Eva in a fiery glow. The Eva rose. Instead of continuing a war of attrition against gravity, Unit-14 had stood its ground, willing to fight a force of nature with raw technological might.

"Sasaki, what are you doing?" I asked. "The speed's just going to come back, and you're going to hit the water at terminal velocity."

"It's okay, Ikari." He looked to the camera and smiled. "I'd be dead anyway if I hit the water, with the way things are right now."

"You—" I tried to speak, but words failed me for a moment. "Sasaki, no, you don't know that."

"If not me, then everyone who comes to rescue me: the divers, the rescue ships, the escorts—all of them. There's no defense against an Angel except for me."

The Eva soared into twilight, tracing out a bright streak in the sky.

"Sasaki," I said, balling my free hand into a fist, "what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to kill the thing; it's the only way."

"No! No it is not! You can still—" I looked to Hyuga. "You can still cut the jetpack and save it to soften the landing. It wouldn't be that bad if you stop right now."

Hyuga got on the comm loop. "What are we looking at for minimum fuel for safe impact?"

"80% maximum propellant for 40g peak, Ops," said another controller.

The jetpack fuel gauge was on the middle section of the projector screen, and the line was already falling below that 80% mark.

"Sasaki," I said, "you need to turn back. Turn back now!"

He scoffed in amazement, and he stared at me. "Why aren't you helping me? This is what I'm supposed to do!"

"This isn't what we asked you to do!"

"You're asking something that's wrong!"

With that, Sasaki pushed the Eva ever higher, soaring into the Mist's body, and the Angel reacted in kind: it coalesced into a solid shape, like something between a spider and a starfish. Its arms slapped at the Eva, knocking Sasaki around like a fly trying to dodge a swatter. Every attack turned Unit-14 about. The hot gas of the jetpack swirled and coiled in the atmosphere, tracing out Sasaki's path in dark smoke that blotted out the fading sunlight.

"I see the core!" said Sasaki.

There it was, in the center of the huge network of arms: a great red spot, an eye looking down on the world of men. It glared at us with fury and destruction in mind, but Sasaki had the nerve to face it.

And he wasn't the only one.

"He'll need to maintain thrust," said Hyuga, "all the way through his attack, or he'll just bounce off and lose momentum."

"You're condoning this?" I said, gaping.

Hyuga nodded to the middle projector screen. "There's not going to be enough fuel to matter for landing. We're committed, at this point. He's committed."

The fuel gauge fell below the halfway line.

I sighed, and I rubbed my forehead. "Okay, Sasaki, listen: you need to maintain full thrust as you attack, even when you use the engine. You understand?"

"Okay." Eyes fixed on his target, Sasaki locked the thruster control in place. The Eva drew a prog knife from a shoulder pylon and raised the blade to the sky.

The Angel folded in its defenses around itself. Its arms layered over one another, forming a web of ephemeral blue tendrils.

"Engine—use the engine!" I said over the radio.

AT fields materialized, snapped, and reconnected, lighting up the sparse clouds in the sky, and the Eva burst through. It cut through the Angel's arms one by one, and as the Angel shrieked and writhed, Sasaki—and the Eva—roared in victory. Their battlecry resounded through my headset, as well as for all the world to hear.

As through their screams and shouts could shatter the Angel's core.

But they couldn't do that. Only the knife could.

And Sasaki drove that knife all the way through.

For a moment, everything was quiet. The control room was watching Sasaki and the Angel; the monitors hardly mattered. The Angel's cries faded out.

And Unit-14? Its jetpack sputtered with the prog knife halfway through the Angel's core. Even Sasaki looked upon this with a mix of triumph and uncertainty, but for a moment—just a moment—the Eva stood still in midair, with the knife through the Angel's core, and the Angel floated there, too. Its arms turned as black as ash and crumbled.

That ash fell around Unit-14 as it sank back toward the ocean.

"You did it, Sasaki," I said, breaking the silence. "Are you proud of yourself?"

Sasaki stared down at the water below, and he said one thing—just one thing—that haunts me even now.

"Ikari," he said, "I gave everything I've got, right to the end." He looked to the camera. "Didn't I?"

I couldn't bear to watch him.

"Okay, we need minimal plug depth and synch rate," ordered Hyuga. "Do everything you can to prepare the pilot and Eva for impact. Combat effectiveness is not important. Go!"

But there wasn't time to do much. I watched the clock. I counted down the seconds and the altitude. Sasaki hit the water in under fifteen seconds.

The Eva splashed down, and all our feeds went blank. We weren't even given the solace of static to try to piece something together from.

"Shinji." Hyuga tapped my chair. "You need to ask if he can hear us."

I looked at him like he'd grown a second head, but Hyuga raised both eyebrows and sighed. What else can we do? in other words.

"Sasaki," I broadcast to the void. "Sasaki—Unit-14, this is Manoah Base. Do you read me?"

Silence.

"Eva Unit-14, this is Manoah Base. Do you read me?"

"Ikari…"

The voice on the other end was weak and garbled, but it heralded more telemetry coming back to us. The screens came to life with tables and plots of data. The Eva was sinking, but we still had a lifeline to it.

"Ikari…it hurts. My head…can't see…"

"You can't see?" I asked. "Or the Eva?"

"It hurts…"

Hyuga shook his head, but he gave some instructions to me: "Stay with him and try to figure out his condition." He turned to Misato. "General, the scheduled operation is over. The Eva is rapidly sinking to the bottom of the Yellow Sea. What are your orders?"

Misato sat with her arms folded, leaning back in her chair. She cast her eyes along the front projector screens, which described the Eva's deteriorating condition: hardware faults along the Eva's back and legs, along with depth increasing by the second.

"Get my Eva back, Major," she said. "Talk to the Chinese and Koreans for help. Get MSDF on the phone; we'll need a salvage ship and an armed escort at the least. I leave the rest to you."

"Yes, General!"

But while Hyuga was satisfied with that, I rose from my seat. "Misato!"

She raised her eyebrows. "You have something to say, Plugcom?"

"I do. An Eva is sinking, and you're content to wait for ships to get there—while Sasaki is injured and in pain?"

"What else would you have me do?"

"Ask for help from someone who can act right now," I said. "Ask Ayanami."

Misato leaned forward, showing an apologetic smile. "We've cashed in our favor. I doubt we'd get another."

A soft voice answered her from the center of the room. "It wouldn't even be wise to ask."

Ayanami. She stepped up to my row of cubicles, eyes locked on me.

"I allowed General Katsuragi one favor," she said. "You saw it was futile. This is no different. Do not ask me to act again; nothing good would come of it."

"No," I said, shaking my head, and I met her in the aisle. "You don't get off that easy, Ayanami! You can't just stand here and tell me you won't do anything! This is your fault; you did this! You're responsible!"

"I'm responsible?"

"Yes!"

"No, I'm not. I didn't choose to fight that Angel. I didn't indoctrinate that boy to fight no matter what."

I rose to face her down. I stomped my foot on the floor. "You asked me to do this!"

"And you asked him," she said coolly. "You asked him, and he chose to be there."

Those words were like a cup of vinegar to my eyes.

Ayanami must not have liked it, either, for she looked away. "I'm sorry," she said. "I can't do anything more."

I wiped my cheek. "Why not?" I begged of her.

"I'm not strong enough."

I laughed at that—a bitter, awful laugh, and by the time I could bear to look at her again, she was gone.

She was gone, and Sasaki was sinking.

My heart sank with him.

The enemy got what they wanted, even with another Angel slain. The Eva was at the bottom of the sea. At last, Japan was defenseless, and the enemy took advantage: they crept in on us like a rising tide. Within twelve hours, Upper Hokkaido and Kyushu were invaded. Guns and bombs kept the enemy at bay for only so long, and even where they were effective, the Disc Angel had driven across water to make sure no tank or aircraft could remain in-theater and survive.

As for Sasaki, he was still alive—for a time. Even with LCL to soften the blow, Sasaki had taken a pretty big hit to the head. The Eva hadn't fared much better: with broken bones and shattered armor plates, it was spending all its energy to heal and stay alive, with precious little left over to fight with.

Thankfully, the Eva was recoverable: the Yellow Sea was relatively shallow, with depths only down to 150 meters or so in most places, compared to a frigid and bone-crushing 3000 meters the other side of the Koreas. Chinese ships were already on the scene, guarding the wreck, and MSDF would wage a salvage operation as soon as possible.

But with Sasaki in bad shape, we'd need another pilot. Misato took us aside in her office, and she asked,

"What's the status of Terada Akio?"

He was a boy and—it seemed—the next victim beyond Sasaki and Nozomi before him. Clearly it was time to throw the boy a party. I'd play music for the event; Horaki could bake a cake. Asuka could invite some dancers, and we'd all gather around him and say, "Congratulations!" while a montage of sexually-suggestive body horror and pseudo-religious imagery played before his eyes. What better way to introduce him to the experience of being an Eva pilot, right?

He may have been ready, but Asuka had been working with him more than I had, at least over the last few days, so I didn't know him as well. And you know what? That suited me just fine. I left it to Asuka and washed my hands of it.

I went back to my office, and I watched tapes of the battle: Sasaki and the Mist—the leadup to it and the aftermath. When did he decide to defy us? Was it when I called back and told him to to just accept what we told him? Or did he make up his mind when the jetpack fired?

I searched back and forth between these two points in the footage—and scoured other clips, too—but after a while, I realized the point was moot. Even if I could pin down when that clicked for him, it wouldn't change what he did, never mind why.

At some point, I got a call from Asuka.

"They're going to try to train him to take the Eva to safety," she told me. "Get Sasaki out of there, get Terada inside, and just have him pilot it back home."

I stared at footage of Sasaki falling. The battle unfolded on mute in front of me. "Really?" I asked.

"Yeah. Do you want to see him?"

"No."

"You're sure?"

"It'd probably be better with you," I said. "You—have a rapport with him."

"If that's what you want to call it, sure."

"You'll be fine."

"Uh-huh. What are you doing now?"

"I'm watching film."

"The Disc?"

I glanced back at the monitor. Unit-14 hit the water.

"No," I said.

"Shinji, be careful. Take care of yourself."

"I know; I will. I—" I sighed. "I'm trying."

"You wanna go home tonight? Make me something for dinner?"

"Making you food is supposed to cheer me up?"

"Uh, yeah? Don't tell me you don't enjoy it."

At that, I smiled a little. "Okay."

We said our goodbyes, and I hung up. Despite Asuka's best efforts, the sinking feeling in my stomach hadn't gone away completely. I left the footage on mute, and I stared at it. My eyes drifted out of focus, but I could still make out the shapes. Whether an ant falls into a puddle, a man falls into a pond, or an Eva falls into an ocean, it's all the same, isn't it? It all looks the same. It's just a matter of scale and meaning. An ant falling into a puddle means nothing, yet no matter how I let my eyes drift apart, I couldn't quite make the Eva look like an ant to me.

"Have you learned something yet?"

I jolted in my seat. The stranger stood before me—her white robes translucent and glowing and her hood blocking all but her lips.

"Or do you still fail to realize your mistakes?" she asked.

I rose from my seat and planted a fist on the desk. "I have nothing to say to you. Get out of my office!"

The stranger pursed her lips, like a teacher disappointed with a student. "Lilith has had her time with you. It's my turn now."

"Your turn for what?" I demanded. "To torment me, like you tormented Nozomi?" I scoffed. "Why don't you leave us alone? We're not your children!"

The stranger tilted her head slightly, and she stepped forward, stopping just short of my desk. "I still have a right to expect more of you. Look at what you've become. Look at what you do to yourselves."

She glanced at the back of the computer monitors, then back to me, and said,

'You destroyed that boy."

I pounded my fist on the table, and I pointed a finger straight at the stranger. "No, you did! You put him in that position! You did that!"

"I made him commit to fight?" The stranger shook her head. "No, you put that idea in his mind. Lilith was right about that. You made him aspire to something he could never live up to. You put the seed in his head. You tried to grow him into something he could not be. You were not satisfied with him as he was, and so you grew something else in his place—you grew the concept of someone else in your own mind, and you never saw that what he was and what you wanted him to be weren't the same. You replaced him with the fruit of your own imagination. That's how you destroyed him. Are you happy with what you reaped instead?"

I narrowed my eyes, trembling, but I stayed where I was and kept my voice in check. "So this is what you do now?" I said. "Is this all you want—to kick people when they're down? You do it to me now, like you did with Nozomi? You're pathetic, and I am not afraid of you!"

The stranger pressed her lips together in an amused smile. "Then why are you shouting at me?"

I snarled. "You—"

"I torment no one," said the stranger. "Not you, not Nozomi Horaki. I only told her the truth—the truth she would not admit to herself."

"And what is that?"

"That seeking salvation for others but not yourself saves no one. It did not work for Lilith. It did not work for you. It did not work for Kazuto Sasaki, and it will not work for her." She raised her chin slightly, as though looking straight into my eyes. "That," she said, "is why you should let go of yourself, Shinji."

"No way," I said, shaking my head with a death glare aimed at her. "Not a chance."

"Stop hurting yourself trying to resist," she said. "You only destroy yourself and all the people around you. That accomplishes nothing."

I raised an eyebrow. "Does it now?"

"It does," she said. "Struggle and suffer, or find solace with everyone. You decide."

The hooded stranger faded away, leaving behind only a glowing outline of her body, but that too disappeared in time.

Huffing to myself, I sat back down, and I played the battle footage again. I turned the sound up, drowning the room in a low hum of an empty radio channel. I adjusted the track controls for this time, adding in the comm loop from the control room.

"Shinji, you need to ask if he can hear us," said Hyuga.

"Makinami, this is Manoah Base Liaison," said a controller. "Switch to underwater acoustic mode for Eva voice and telemetry uplink…"

"Go to the back room." That was Maya. "We need everything we have on long-term S2 engine output for underwater survival."

So many voices—all of them trying to take care of some small piece of the effort. Each of us had a handle on something so small as to be almost insignificant. Desperate we were to regain control on the situation; we talked and talked, trying to get others to offer help.

When I heard them all together, all talking over each other, I heard the noise for what it was: a throng of humanity trying to change the world in a small way, yet helpless to do it themselves.

I paused the video, and I turned off the monitor. I closed the folders of intelligence and personnel profiles. I wiped the desk clean and shuffled everything else into the drawers. The world began anew in front of me.

And the first thing I did was pick up the phone.

"Hello, Horaki residence."

"Hi, Horaki," I said, cradling the phone between my shoulder and my ear. "It's me."

"Oh? This is a surprise." The words had a sharpness to them, like a snake's fangs. "What do you want?"

"Is Nozomi around?" I asked.

"Now you want to talk to her?"

I glanced past the monitor, at the empty space in front of my desk. "I saw that thing again," I told Horaki. "The woman in Nozomi's sketches. She told me something—about Nozomi."

A pause. "She did? You think you know what that was about now?"

"I might." I opened the bottom drawer of my desk, and I took out a sketchpad. "And maybe," I said, "just maybe, I can help her the way I never could before."

"She's not home, Ikari."

I sighed. "Really?"

"But," said Horaki, "I know where you can find her."

Last edited:
Asuka could invite some dancers, and we'd all gather around him and say, "Congratulations!" while a montage of sexually-suggestive body horror and pseudo-religious imagery played before his eyes. What better way to introduce him to the experience of being an Eva pilot, right?
Just a bit meta? :p
You made him aspire to something he could never live up to. You put the seed in his head. You tried to grow him into something he could not be.
Bullshit, Robe Lady. He did live up to it. He won. It cost, but he did it. He took on the Angel that had been unstoppable, in a no-win situation, and made it pay for trying. Now it's dead and he's not, despite that being just what it was trying to do to him. You can play on Shinji's feeling of guilt, but Sasaki did live up to his aim.

We're way beyond a bit meta with that one. :p

Bullshit, Robe Lady. He did live up to it. He won. It cost, but he did it. He took on the Angel that had been unstoppable, in a no-win situation, and made it pay for trying. Now it's dead and he's not, despite that being just what it was trying to do to him. You can play on Shinji's feeling of guilt, but Sasaki did live up to his aim.

Interesting perspective. I think Shinji and everyone else in the room viewed Sasaki's actions as a mistake--a mistake with some positive outcomes, but a mistake nonetheless. I wonder if anyone else reading sees it that way or sees it more as you have.

Edit: the above gives me an idea for some other "discussion questions."

1. Is Sasaki making a mistake in pressing the issue against the Mist Angel? If so, is Shinji responsible?
  2. Shinji reacts to the sinking of Unit-14 by going back to his office and looking at film. He's bitter about the prospect of training yet another pilot in Sasaki and Nozomi's stead. Does his reaction here seem true to his character?
  3. Shinji's conversation with Asuka is short, and he lies to her when she asks what footage he's watching. This should get across that he's feeling defensive about his influence over Sasaki. Do this behavior and his actions fit, especially in the context of talking to Asuka?
  4. The hooded stranger appears to Shinji, giving a vibe of "a teacher disappointed with a student." She attempts to use Sasaki to persuade Shinji to give in and return to the sea. What does this say about her goals? What do you think she's trying to accomplish?
  5. The stranger says Nozomi would not admit that "seeking salvation for others but not yourself saves no one." What do you think Nozomi is denying for herself? Why would the stranger be concerned with this? And what could Shinji accomplish by acting on this information?

It may be too much to try to steer conversation along these lines--I could, perhaps, be more direct with what I was aiming for, if these are too open-ended. And I realize that not everyone has time to address even one of these questions, let alone all of them.

Last edited:
I'm with Strypia on this. It might not have been what was best for Sasaki, and he deserved better, but with that line of thought, he should've never been an Eva Pilot in the first place. He was prepared for the worst but he succeeded without paying the worst cost.

Fuck off, Robe Lady. It's literally your fault Shinji had to even interact with Sasaki, much less fuck him up mentally. Face the truth of your own actions, you hypocrite.

First off, let's get out of the way what I saw while reading:

Its arms turned as black like ash and crumbled.
As far as I know, this expression isn't wrong, per se; but given the literary standard your work usually using in its writing, I propose 'as [...] as'.
"Do everything you can to protect the pilot and Eva for impact.
Works, but again, this sounds a little... hobbly. Maybe 'from'?
What else can we do? in other words.
Shouldn't that question be inside a pair of apostrophes?
An Eva is sinking, and you're content to wait for ships to get there—while Sasaki injured and in pain?"
Again, works, but sounds off. 'is'?
He may have been ready, but Asuka had been working with him more than I had, at least over the last few days, so I didn't know as him as well.
That 'as' is one too many.

"Struggle and suffer, or find solace with everyone. You decide."
That's Eisheth, right? As such, I personally think she would go for psychological warfare, from what we saw of her in Shinji's visions.
"Makinami, this Manoah Base Liaison,"
I see what you did there. :cool:

Addendum, 14:55 hours: I think this should be 'this is Manoah'.
Interesting perspective. I think Shinji and everyone else in the room viewed Sasaki's actions as a mistake--a mistake with some positive outcomes, but a mistake nonetheless. I wonder if anyone else reading sees it that way or sees it more as you have.
I see it the mostly same way as Strypgia.

Shinji might not like it. The other controllers might not like it. Hell, Misato probably doesn't like it. But the fact of the situation is that Sasaki himself decided there was no way he was going to survive either this encounter, the landing, or possibly even the wait for recovery (scrubbers only work for so long until they are clogged). So he made the decision to 'live and die a man of honour' to paraphrase Manowar.

And look what he did. Maybe he'll live, or maybe he won't; but he took down that Angel.

Last edited:
  1. Is Sasaki making a mistake in pressing the issue against the Mist Angel? If so, is Shinji responsible?
Mistake? Depends on your 'win conditions' He could have tried for a soft landing on the island. This has the best chance of preserving the Eva, although it is not guaranteed to work, and may either fail, stranding him in the ocean anyhow with the Mist Angel still going, or succeed, but leave him stranded on an island with little to no battery left, and the Mist Angel about to eat him anyhow. Instead, he attacked, and succeeded in killing an Angel that had been a key part of making several of the last city defenses fail.

On the other hand, the loss of Eva-14 has let the Angels assault all over Japan in short order. But! Unit-14 would have been out of position for this anyhow, as it was deployed across the Yellow Sea, and if the transport jet was still destroyed, Unit-14 is just as unavailable to Japan as if it was destroyed itself that way.
  1. Shinji reacts to the sinking of Unit-14 by going back to his office and looking at film. He's bitter about the prospect of training yet another pilot in Sasaki and Nozomi's stead. Does his reaction here seem true to his character?
It does. He is Shinji Ikari: He will blame himself, no matter what. So going back to berate himself for being the cause of failure, because he convinced Sasaki to fight, is perfectly fitting to him. He's going to be bitter since he knows better than anyone the cost of being a Pilot. He's not happy with himself on some level of having to do it to other kids.
  1. Shinji's conversation with Asuka is short, and he lies to her when she asks what footage he's watching. This should get across that he's feeling defensive about his influence over Sasaki. Do this behavior and his actions fit, especially in the context of talking to Asuka?
As above. He's being Shinji. Though damn it, Shinji, we've already covered how your worst times are when you're not communicating with Asuka, and lying about things like this is right in that lane. I can somewhat see why: Telling her 'no, I'm looking at footage of how I fucked up and convinced Sasaki to fight a no-win battle' would derail the preparations with getting the next Pilot ready, and Shinji is always ready to take pains and trouble on himself to spare others, even when it's not his fault.
  1. The hooded stranger appears to Shinji, giving a vibe of "a teacher disappointed with a student." She attempts to use Sasaki to persuade Shinji to give in and return to the sea. What does this say about her goals? What do you think she's trying to accomplish?
It's hard to not feel like her goal is to get Shinji, and the rest of the forces opposing the Angels, to just give up. Her speech is all about failure, giving up, how his efforts only make things worse. It could be trying to push him into a less selfless mindset, but it feels too much like she just wants to see him give up trying.
  1. The stranger says Nozomi would not admit that "seeking salvation for others but not yourself saves no one." What do you think Nozomi is denying for herself? Why would the stranger be concerned with this? And what could Shinji accomplish by acting on this information?
I'm not sure. Nozomi is hard to read. Not making up with Hikari? I don't know why the stranger would care, though. Aside from being an Eva Pilot, and having had her soul/AT-Field smashed against an Angel's, Nozomi doesn't have the same ties to Rei/Lilith/Whatever Progenitor strangeness is going on, so I'm unsure what he could do.

Mistake? Depends on your 'win conditions' He could have tried for a soft landing on the island. This has the best chance of preserving the Eva, although it is not guaranteed to work, and may either fail, stranding him in the ocean anyhow with the Mist Angel still going, or succeed, but leave him stranded on an island with little to no battery left, and the Mist Angel about to eat him anyhow. Instead, he attacked, and succeeded in killing an Angel that had been a key part of making several of the last city defenses fail.

On the other hand, the loss of Eva-14 has let the Angels assault all over Japan in short order. But! Unit-14 would have been out of position for this anyhow, as it was deployed across the Yellow Sea, and if the transport jet was still destroyed, Unit-14 is just as unavailable to Japan as if it was destroyed itself that way.

Interesting. Very interesting. It seems most folks feel, then, that the risk Sasaki took was justified. It may be that the recovery operation to come in 5.7/Threads will change some minds: Sasaki has put the Eva in a difficult position, one that will expose others to danger as they try to retrieve him.

But I'm not speaking of making a tactical mistake. It's a mistake in thinking, belief, or ideology. What I've tried to do in this arc is link Shinji, Rei, Nozomi, and Sasaki together by their shared doubts about the strength of their convictions. Shinji's never had a lot of conviction for anything, and that's something he's been wanting to change. Rei continues to follow the path Lilith began all those billions of years ago. Sasaki took Shinji's indoctrination to heart and attempted to fulfill that ideal in pressing the fight against the Mist. Nozomi...we'll see what's going on in her mind next week.

At the very least, I wanted to get across that Sasaki makes his decision based on Shinji's indoctrination and in pursuit of that ideal--an ideal that can be self-defeating or even destructive.

As above. He's being Shinji. Though damn it, Shinji, we've already covered how your worst times are when you're not communicating with Asuka, and lying about things like this is right in that lane. I can somewhat see why: Telling her 'no, I'm looking at footage of how I fucked up and convinced Sasaki to fight a no-win battle' would derail the preparations with getting the next Pilot ready, and Shinji is always ready to take pains and trouble on himself to spare others, even when it's not his fault.

Very good point. I think i will tweak that conversation a bit to try to show a new direction in light of their continued growth.

Editing changelog:

Part 6 rewrite changes:

Major changes are coming to elements of The Second Coming Part Six - Legacy:
  • Several chapters have been retitled. New titles: 6.1/Last Temptation, 6.2/Ataraxia, 6.7/To the Future.
  • second-revisions.brd has the following new storyboards: a new scene for 6.1/Last Temptation with Shinji and Asuka going stargazing, after Aoba visits Shinji's office; and a significant rewrite of 6.2/Ataraxia, with Shinji no longer in the observation room as the control room is invaded, which also fleshes out the invaders' plot for Unit-14 in greater detail

Some changes are still to come. Expect some tweaks to 6.3 through 6.6, especially more narration and fleshing out of 6.5 and 6.6, and a full rewrite of 6.7/To the Future.

6.5/One Billion Years Later: consolidated some narration in the opening scene.

SV Polish edits for 5.6/Sisters II

5.6/Sisters II has been substantially revised:
  • Added some opening narration about Shinji musing on his time at the soup kitchen
  • Nozomi now takes Shinji to Hikari's school when she explains why she wanted to pilot Eva. The incident recounted takes place at the same location now.
  • Tweaked elements of Shinji and Rei's dialogue
  • Made a general pass throughout to trim unnecessary words

5.5/Anchor:
  • Fixes for issues by @Ranma-sensei/#262
  • Shinji is now more level with Asuka when she calls, and she manages to cheer him up a little (based on remarks from @Strypgia/#263)

second-an: some copy editing for Misato character focus section

Tomorrow: 5.6/Sisters II.

The Second Coming ends in 8 weeks.

5.6 Sisters II
32. Sisters II

Once I got off the phone with Horaki, I headed back into town to go north, to the Horaki home in Toyoshina.

During the walk from National Square to the train station, I realized just how desperate and frightened the Japanese people had become. A heavy military and police presence patrolled the Square and the surrounding streets. Some roads had been turned into one-way streets to control traffic. A car went by with cases of water strapped to the roof. Mankind had always been a short way from extinction, and in moments like those, that was evident in every word and action.

Since I'd joined Project Manoah, I'd taken a dim view of my past self for not understanding that—for not acting with enough urgency. I'd been content to hide away in the soup kitchen, tending to the poor and hungry. I'd judged myself for not wanting to take responsibility for the decision I'd made. Helping out at the kitchen was, in my eyes, a way to feel less guilty about being in hiding.

With the Eva underwater and Japan on the verge of breaking down, I looked back on that time differently. It's true I'd been hiding. There was something I didn't want to face. I didn't want people to challenge me, but that didn't make helping those poor families—the ones who could find comfort in even diluted miso soup—something that was wrong to do. All along, I'd kept to an assumed name and wore sunglasses hoping not to be recognized, worried that someone would judge me for being there and not doing something else.

I'm not saying I would've kept doing that—and that alone—if I'd had the chance. But if I had decided such a thing, I think I would've gone there and worked every day using my own name, whatever the consequences might've been.

I found Nozomi sitting by a bridge at the edge of downtown Toyoshina. The bridge was different from the one I'd seen her at before—instead of a scenic view near the train tracks, this one marked the border between the town and farmland. Nozomi sat at the top of the riverbank with her sketchpad lying on her legs. She watched the bridge as cars, trucks, and SDF caravans went by. Even as I approached, she made no move to acknowledge me, but when I stopped beside her, she already knew I was there.

"So," she said, not even looking up, "I heard Sasaki's kinda fucked."

An eighteen-wheeler blew by, throwing a wake of wind at my face. Toyoshina, like Tokyo-2, was crawling with activity. Down the road, a crowd gathered at the police station, and officers instructed the citizenry on possible evacuation. A caravan of trucks rolled up to the town art museum, and the staff carried out paintings and pottery to take to safety. With all the traffic going over the bridge, I had to hold my arms out to keep steady.

"Yeah, he is," I said, wavering in the wind. "I fucked him up a little bit, too."

Nozomi glanced up from her sketchpad. "That right?" she said, twirling her pencil. She frowned, and she hunched over the sketchpad. "Well, I'm sure you didn't try to fuck him up on purpose."

"May as well have," I said, trying to find some balance in the breeze.

"You're always hard on yourself, Ikari."

"You think I shouldn't be?"

"I dunno," she said with a shrug, and she patted the grass next to her. "But I don't think you have to be so hard on yourself that you have to stand."

I laughed to myself, shook my head, and crouched down, supporting myself with one hand as I sat on the grass and dirt. The earth was soft—it'd rained the day before—and if I didn't do my own laundry, I'm sure someone would've complained about me sitting there. I pulled my knees to my chest and sighed, and we sat there for a moment as I gazed over the farmland outside of town.

"So," Nozomi said at last, flipping to the next page of her sketchpad, "you guys need me to come back?"

I looked at her. "Is that something you want to do?"

She took her pencil off the page for a moment, and she tapped it on the binding. She stared down the road, sighed, and said,

"I dunno."

She captured all the hustle and bustle of the day well, from traffic on the street to people packing up their cars with boxes and grocery bags. She rendered every detail, down to the dimple on a woman walking by—a woman who smiled just to put on a brave face for her children. With little features like those, alongside precise and perfect lines, the sketch was more like a photograph than anything else.

It was more like a photograph than a piece of art.

"What's on your mind?" I asked. "The nightmare?"

"Nah, I'm over that."

"Are you?"

She put her pencil down and looked at me. "What happened, Ikari?"

I gulped, and I ran my fingers through my hair. "I saw her again: the woman in the hood."

"Real bitch, isn't she?"

"Yeah." I bowed my head, looking between my knees. "She tried to tell me that what happened to Sasaki was all my fault."

"Was it?"

I sighed. "She wasn't all wrong. I spent a lot of time…" I laughed to myself and shook my head. "A lot of time—trying to motivate Sasaki. I thought that would help him feel comfortable with piloting. It didn't work out that way."

I met Nozomi's gaze again. Her eyes were steady, and her mouth was slightly open.

"I guess…" She glanced aside. "I guess that's what being a pilot is, right?" She laughed. "It's not what you think it's gonna be like, is it?"

"It never is," I said, putting on a smile.

"Not even a little."

I nodded, and I swallowed again. "But you know," I went on, "she also told me you felt the same way."

"That right?" Nozomi looked to the sky, and she brushed some stray hairs out of her face—just to have them blown around again by a passing car. "I think somebody isn't very good at keeping secrets."

"Nozomi—"

"Well," she said, cutting me off, "maybe I won't be piloting anymore. Then that's just my problem, you know? You've got somebody to train, right? I'll manage."

"Maybe you will."

I stared over the scene. On one side, low buildings and homes formed the downtown area of Toyoshina. On the other, across the stream, lay the fields and farms of the town's outskirts. They sat next to each other, separated by water yet connected by the bridge.

"Maybe you will," I said again, "but even if you never get in the pilot's seat again, I want to know that you'll be all right."

Nozomi flipped to a new page, and she rested her arms on the pad. "You don't need to spend this kind of time with me, Ikari."

"I still choose to be here."

"You've got stuff to take care of."

"Yeah—right here, if you'll talk to me."

"And if I don't wanna talk?"

I zipped open my backpack, and I took out a sketchpad. "I can learn from the master?" I offered.

She peered at the top sketch. "That's not bad," she said. "Maybe you don't have that much left to learn from me."

"That'd be a lie."

"Yeah, a little."

She took my sketchpad in hand, poring over it with her critic's eye. Granted, I was a little uncomfortable with her taking such a keen interest in my art: I'd only just drawn a scene from the train station while waiting to get up there. It wasn't anything that meaningful.

"You see, look," she said, pointing out some lines around a train window. "You gotta put stuff in it."

"Stuff?"

"Yeah, stuff. This is a window. I can see right through it, but that just tells me there are seats inside. I don't feel anything looking at that. It just is."

"I've been working on technique," I said, nodding along with her. "I'd like to do something like that, someday."

"You should." She handed the pad back to me. "Once you try, I think it'll feel good. It's supposed to."

"Supposed to?"

"Yeah, it should. Like being a pilot, right? We save the world. Should feel good about it."

I glanced over the horizon, and I squinted. "I don't know if I ever felt that way."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Sometimes there was relief that I survived, or anguish because it hurt a lot, or because it hurt someone else, but I don't know if I ever looked forward to it—maybe one time, when I thought I was doing well. Saving people for the sake of it—I don't know if I was ever capable of that."

Nozomi nodded at that. "I thought so."

I winced. "Really?"

"That kind of thing—courage for the sake of it—that isn't you."

I glanced at her from the side. "Nor you—that's what you said, right?"

"Yeah—that, that's a big, abstract thing. It's something I can't draw. And if it's something I can feel, then I expect to be able to draw it."

She gestured to her lap—where her sketchpad lay. It was open to a blank page.

"But I dunno how to draw that," she said again. "So, you know, as far as being a pilot goes—I knew right away that wasn't a good reason for me to do it. It was never going to fit with me."

"So, what did you do?"

"I tried to find something that made sense for myself." She shrugged. "But, you know, sometimes an alien will try to get in your head and tell you you're doing it wrong. And maybe she's right about that. I dunno." She sat back a bit, leaning more on the embankment. "Doesn't seem like it was a good idea, looking back on it."

"Why not?"

"Does that really matter right now?"

"Nozomi—"

"Look around, Ikari." She gestured to the bridge and the nearby intersection, both jammed with traffic. "We've got bigger problems."

"Maybe that's true," I said, following her gaze, "but that doesn't change that I'm worried for you—and that I have been worried ever since I saw those drawings, ever since I found you in your room that day."

"I let it get to me. I should've known better. It's not a big deal now."

I leaned forward, blocking her line of sight. "Then why did she appear to you?" I asked. "Why did she choose to look like your sister? Is it because of how Horaki pushed you away?"

"No, no." Nozomi shook her head. "Don't be silly. Hikari's done nothing wrong since then."

"Then why?"

Nozomi looked away from me, staring over the embankment to the open fields and scattered farms beyond.

And she got up.

"Let's go, Ikari," she said.

"Go?" I scrambled to close my own sketchpad and stuff it in my bag. "Go where?"

But Nozomi didn't answer. She trotted up the riverbank, making for the road into town. I slung my bag over my shoulder, and I followed her.

We trudged two kilometers from the bridge toward the center of town, pushing against the gusts of wind that foretold a storm to come. The sky was overcast—the kind of bright overcast that makes it hurt to look up.

Nozomi led me to a high school. The main entrance had waist-high brick walls and a short gate—one that wouldn't deter anyone determined to scale it. Across the road was an athletic field with nets running ten meters high. No one wanted a soccer ball bounding out of the field of play and smashing a windshield, I guessed.

The significance of the place wasn't clear to me at first. Nozomi had her choice of picturesque views around Toyoshina, but this spot wasn't so charming. The netting, utility poles, and tall trees around the school's perimeter hemmed us in. It was like being trapped in a tunnel, with light coming from only two directions.

I didn't understand until Nozomi explained it to me. As we stood in front of the school gate, she said,

"This is Hikari's school."

I smiled to myself and bowed my head.

Nozomi paced about the turnaround lane in front of the gate. She tapped her foot on a drainage grating between the lane and the main road, which was one-way and only one lane wide as well.

"I was standing about here," she went on, and she untucked her sketchpad from under her arm. "I'd been waiting for a while, and I'd started trying to sketch the facade and some of the windows. I still have it, in an old pad. That was March, though. It was March, but it was still hot as hell.

"School was out for the year, but Hikari had some business with the administrators. We were going to buy some things in town, so we just stopped here while we were in the neighborhood. Hikari must've spent around an hour talking to people inside. I thought she might come get me if it would take a while, but she was busy, and I didn't mind."

Nozomi pointed to the main door with the eraser end of her pencil.

"Hikari came out of there like an earthquake," said Nozomi. "She was pissed—more pissed than when I was a kid and started painting on the walls. She kinda barked at me to come along, and we started back to 147…" Nozomi jerked her head along the one-way road, back the way we'd come. "I wasn't gonna say a word about it, you know? It was her stuff. I had some pencils to buy.

"But I saw it was getting to her—I mean really getting to her. She clenched her fists so tight I thought she might draw blood. So I asked her, right? I asked her even though I didn't really expect an answer. It just sorta happened. And you know what she said?"

I shook my head, eyes transfixed on Nozomi. Nozomi seemed aware of my gaze. She spun on a heel, turning her back to me.

"Hikari started saying it wasn't much. 'Don't worry; it's not a big deal.' That sort of thing.

"And then she caught herself. She stopped in her tracks when we were only about halfway down the road. She looked at me, like she just understood that I was the one standing there, and she said something different:

" 'Sorry, Nozomi,' is what she said. She smiled like she knew she'd done something wrong, and she explained it. She'd been trying to get the school to accept the classes she'd taken in Tokyo-3, and they weren't going to do it. She was gonna have to repeat a year. And she gave them hell for it because they could've done anything to let her make it up—a special test or something—but they'd given her the runaround and she'd had to go up to their office just to get a straight answer. That's why they were bastards—her words, not mine.

"She took a minute to blow off some steam, and when she was done letting go of all that, she looked at me and said, 'Thanks for listening, Nozomi.' And she smiled. She was gonna kick someone's ass for fucking her over like that. She'd never let something like that go. It just took her a bit to deal. And after that…" Nozomi shuffled her feet on the drainage grating. "After that, she was Hikari again. There was shopping to do. She wanted to get some tofu. And we didn't talk about that whole thing again. She dealt with it."

I took a couple steps toward the road, trying to catch her gaze. "That's good, right?"

Nozomi turned her head to look at me. "Is it?"

"She reached out to you. Shouldn't you be happy about that?"

Frowning, Nozomi turned her head away from me again. "Yeah. She did exactly what I asked her to do. I should've been happy about that. That should've felt good."

I stepped toward her. "Nozomi…"

"You'd have to be pretty monstrous," she went on, each word shaking her body a little, "to ask someone to bear their heart to you, to not hide anything, only for you not to actually be happy when they do. You'd have to be pretty selfish to feel like that wasn't enough."

I stepped up to her back and put a hand on her shoulder. "You're many things, Nozomi Horaki, but you're not selfish, and you're not monstrous."

"Yeah, well, you say nice things even when they're not true," she said, refusing to look at me.

"But sometimes they are true. And they are true now."

Nozomi shook her head and sighed—a pained, almost convulsive sigh mixed with a shudder. "You know, I wanted to feel something good from that. I wanted to appreciate what she did. And I can appreciate it up here." She tapped the side of her head. "But I don't feel it. I don't fucking feel it."

And so, there I glimpsed the true portrait of Nozomi Horaki. The girl who was so devoted to her art found there was something she couldn't capture in her sketches, something she couldn't hold in her heart. Nozomi put so much effort in depicting the true sense of a scene—more than just the literal details of who or what was there. She took liberties to convey a mood. That was important to her.

Yet that mood—the mood of a scene, or an interaction—was precisely what had eluded her.

Perhaps that, more than anything, is what convinced me I was wrong about Nozomi. I was very, very wrong about her. She wasn't much of anything like me. We got along well, most of the time, but Nozomi interacted with people, and wanted things from people, that were far different from what I'd dreamed of. Often, I'd wished to be left alone. Only rarely did I dare to try impressing people or to seek their gratitude and approval. To me, people have always been dangerous and flighty. I seldom hoped for more than casual indifference from them—or so I let myself believe, at least.

Nozomi did want more, though. She wanted that connection. She wanted that feeling.

She wanted the understanding that we were promised from Instrumentality—the kind of understanding that isn't always possible in the real world.

Nozomi judged herself for not feeling this connection. She placed the blame all on her own heart.

And that—that wasn't right.

I let Nozomi sniffle and cry for a time. She leaned back against me, and I didn't dare complain, but there was one question still on my mind.

"Nozomi," I said, "why did you pilot Eva?"

Nozomi wiped her face with her sleeve and composed herself. "I think there are a lot of people like me. People, right? They don't live up to their own expectations, but they want to. They want to change. They can't do that if they're dead or they've gone back to goo again." She turned her head slightly, enough for me to catch a glimpse of one eye. "I knew being an Eva pilot wouldn't fix that for me," she said, "but if doing it gave someone else a chance to figure that out—that's not so bad, right? It's not a bad reason to do it."

I put on a sad smile. "If only that were the real reason, right?"

She looked to the sky—the gray-white sky with thick and low-flying clouds loomed overhead.

"Yeah," she said at last. "I guess so."

"Nozomi." I squeezed her shoulder—lightly, this time. "Talk to your sister."

"And say what?"

"Say what you felt."

She scoffed. "Come on. It's pretty rotten."

Maybe it was, but that in itself may have been the problem with humanity: we as people are so caught up with what we think we should do or feel that we leave no room to be ourselves. We don't consider the possibility that we might be wrong.

"Nozomi," I said, "if you keep going with the way things are, you'll never find what you were looking for that day."

Nozomi turned around and stared at me for a moment—a moment long enough to make me think I may have said something appropriate instead of silly or overly sentimental.

Whatever she thought of it, she looked back at the high school gate and its short brick wall, then down the road back to Route 147. She took my hand off her shoulder, but she let the touch linger for just a moment.

"Nozomi?" I said.

"Come on, Ikari," she said, smiling slightly for the first time in a while. "I'm going home."

When we made it back to the Horaki home, Nozomi asked me to stand by the road. The business she had with her sister was her own, after all. I agreed, and I stood by the hedges in wait.

Nozomi knocked on the door, and Horaki met her there. She caught a glimpse of me, and she waved. I waved and nodded in return, and I wandered a little bit from the hedges, going across the road and into an overgrown field.

I watched the girls from the corner of my eye. Nozomi and Horaki stood at the door. Nozomi had her hands at her side, holding her sketchpad in one hand. She alternated between looking straight at Horaki and glancing aside as she tried to come up with words. Horaki, for her part, listened carefully to Nozomi's story. Though her arms were folded, Horaki nodded and even gave a smile from time to time, but she seemed loathe to interrupt, letting Nozomi do most of the talking.

But they were talking, and I took that as a good sign.

Not everyone else appreciated that, though.

"You choose to spend time here, instead of training Terada or working to save Sasaki."

Rei Ayanami stood in the overgrown field with me. The setting sun was at her back, yet her form was perfectly clear, for the sun's rays went through her, rather than cast a shadow.

"Why?" she asked.

"I'm saving her," I said. "The help she needs is a little different from Sasaki or Terada, but it's still something I can offer. That she's my friend just makes it a little easier."

"This doesn't help anyone else. If doing this means you're all sent back to the sea, then it's for nothing."

"Maybe so," I admitted with a shrug, "but if that's what this is really about, then why did you keep me from getting shot? I wasn't important then."

"I knew you could be."

I laughed. I shook my head, pacing around her. "Okay, Ayanami," I said, stifling a chuckle. "You keep telling yourself that."

"I'm responsible for more than just you," she said, narrowing her eyes just a bit.

"But that's not what really matters to you," I said. "You showed me that yourself. The cause matters to you? Well, there it is!" I pointed at Nozomi with an outstretched arm. "That's what we're trying to save." I took a step closer to Ayanami, watching her with an unwavering gaze. "People matter. Our friends matter. I like to think I matter to you now. If you saved everyone except me, and Misato, and maybe Asuka or someone else—I don't know—what would you do then?"

"Don't put me in that position," she said, eyes locked on mine. "You won't like what I choose."

"All right," I said, backing off. "But I just know that, if I do like you asked me to do before—that's not something I can keep up."

"And if you fail then?"

"That's something I accept—and something you should, too." I smiled a little bit in pleading. "Are you happy, Ayanami?"

She looked aside. "I have an eternity to try to be happy."

I reached out to her, but my hand went through her shoulder, and she warded me off with a slight shake of the head. That was the way it was. Even the comfort I could offer her was fleeting and ephemeral.

"Ikari!"

Nozomi called to me from the Horaki doorstep. She waved me over as Horaki left us alone.

But she didn't leave without touching Nozomi on the shoulder, nor without Nozomi touching Horaki's hand in return.

As Horaki went inside, I caught up with Nozomi on the driveway. "What's going on?" I asked her.

"Hikari wants to know if you'll stay for dinner."

I glanced back, to the hedges and the overgrown field. Rei Ayanami was gone.

"Ikari?"

I snapped back to face Nozomi, and I laughed in apology.

"Sorry," I said, "was distracted. I'd love to. Is everything okay with her?"

Nozomi eyed the threshold before looking back to me. She shrugged.

"She doesn't get it, not all the way," Nozomi said, "but she wants to try."

"And you?"

"I wanna try, too."

"That's good."

"Yeah. I think so, too." Nozomi tucked her sketchpad under her arm, and she took one decisive step up into the house. "Oh, and Ikari?"

"Yeah?"

"Maybe I wanna try being the pilot again also."

I stopped outside the door. "You do?"

"Yeah." She met my eyes and looked back at me with a cool, steady gaze. "For its own sake. Not mine."

I looked back to the overgrown field and said only,

"Either way, I support you."

The mission to rescue Sasaki and Unit-14 began the next day.

Last edited:
we started back to 147\ldots"
Something went wrong here.
I smiled a little bit in pleading. "Are you happy, Ayanami?"

She looked aside. "I have an eternity to try to be happy."
That's... very sad, Rei. And that Shinji can't even give you a pat or a hug.

Rei is... for all the hectoring she's been doing of Shinji and company, I'm saddened that she's not tried talking to Shinji at least about her own loneliness. She apparently can, but hasn't tried? Shinji at the least would listen, and she still seems to grant him a special place in her heart.

"Saving the world, one person at a time." Not too bad a concept, I suppose. At least for Shinji, it works.

Rei is... for all the hectoring she's been doing of Shinji and company, I'm saddened that she's not tried talking to Shinji at least about her own loneliness. She apparently can, but hasn't tried? Shinji at the least would listen, and she still seems to grant him a special place in her heart.
I think the crux of the matter is once again that Rei is a very closed-off individual - she isn't used to leaning on people, because people never cared enough about her to give her genuine, heart-felt comfort. Ergo, she probably thinks she's not worth the effort; or even remotely deserving of it.

Overtired again, so I'm not sure if I found everything:
She kinda barked at me to come along, and we started back to 147\ldots"
Something went wrong here.
Agreed. It looks like control characters invaded your document.
" 'Sorry, Nozomi,' is what she said.
There's a redundant space between those two apostrophes.
We got along well, most of the time, but Nozomi interacted with people, and wanted things from people, that were far different from what I'd dreamed of.
It sounds a little off with that comma. I suggest deleting it.
"but if that what this were really about, then why did you keep me from getting shot? I wasn't important then."
I think you meant 'if that is what this'.
I reached out to her, but my hand went through my shoulder, and she warded me off with a slight shake of the head.
'her shoulder'.

Last edited:
That's... very sad, Rei. And that Shinji can't even give you a pat or a hug.

It's still one of the things that I regret so far--that Rei did not get a moment just to be with Shinji in a casual manner, a moment to lean on him properly. Some of that has to do with circumstances--one of the things that has not often been explicitly mentioned in-story is the principle of equivalent impact or influence. What Rei does, the enemy must also be allowed to do, and vice versa. So, spending an extending amount of time with Shinji would expose him to the enemy. Still, that excuse is a bit unsatisfying to me.

I think the crux of the matter is once again that Rei is a very closed-off individual - she isn't used to leaning on people, because people never cared enough about her to give her genuine, heart-felt comfort. Ergo, she probably thinks she's not worth the effort; or even remotely deserving of it.

Or at the very least, not used to directly asking for it. I like to think the visions she's given Shinji are ways for her to try to reach him and ask for understanding without directly saying so.

Muphrid said:
It's still one of the things that I regret so far--that Rei did not get a moment just to be with Shinji in a casual manner, a moment to lean on him properly. Some of that has to do with circumstances--one of the things that has not often been explicitly mentioned in-story is the principle of equivalent impact or influence. What Rei does, the enemy must also be allowed to do, and vice versa. So, spending an extending amount of time with Shinji would expose him to the enemy. Still, that excuse is a bit unsatisfying to me.

I suppose it could always be a post-threat epilogue thing?

Author's Notes: Character Focus - Nozomi
Author's Notes: Character Focus - Nozomi

Nozomi is a big reason for this piece's existence, and she does a lot of work in the story. She plays a protege role to Shinji, which allows me to explore themes of coming to adulthood and overseeing a new generation. She draws a contrast with the other pilots: her issues are better hidden and more subtle, but no less present. She lets me explore the same themes of communication and interpersonal realtionships as vanilla Evangelion. As with any new character, I tried to make her unique and memorable, and as with most protagonists, I tried to make her someone you could understand and feel for.

First, however, I should talk about where Nozomi was in First Ones and how she got to where she is in this piece.

The original Nozomi concept plays on different ideas than this one. That Nozomi idolizes Shinji, albeit in mostly the same subdued and low-key manner that she behaves in this piece, which let me explore Shinji's issues with being a public hero on a more personal level. She idolizes him and has the expectation that he will continue to fight for humanity. That Nozomi also chafes under the weight of childhood, exploring the themes of adolescents trying to fight for respect and understanding as they themselves are changing rapidly.

This Nozomi is quite different. Her attitude toward Shinji is more neutral initially. Instead of resenting Hikari for treating her like a child, her issue in their relationship is more specific and personal. For all her indifference toward the horrors of piloting, Nozomi does lack confidence in one respect: she doubts she can change, that she can learn to communicate with others. She knows of her own nonchalance and indifference and feels these are insurmountable barriers to making connections with people. Nozomi is, essentially, someone who is not swayed too high or too low by what's going on around her—and she believes that means there is a problem with her.

Her storyline with Hikari is one of the major improvements over First Ones, as it's now extended throughout the piece instead of being wrapped up in a bow early on, and it informs her character at every point of the story. A storyline about personal insecurity and the expectations of others is classic Evangelion, and pushing others away to protect them from oneself fits that template to a tee. To me, though, the important thing is that it gives her motivation for piloting a great personal dimension. Every pilot in Evangelion has done so with personal motivations attached (well, perhaps with Kaworu aside). Nozomi is no different. It is a special sort of self-loathing (again, the first rule of Evangelion) to try to save the world with the idea that others will be the ones to enjoy that salvation—not you.

Nozomi is meant to draw a contrast to the other pilots. The things that frighten or horrify Shinji don't even faze Nozomi. The things that inspired Asuka to strive for greatness draw skepticism or indifference from her. Where Rei would sacrifice herself for some innate sense of duty or connection, Nozomi would look at things logically and with a level head, using that to decide whether the sacrifice would be justified.

It's tempting to make such a person the perfect pilot, but I tried to avoid that. Her tension with Shinji after he leaves in "Fugue" is one such aspect. Her hard-headedness—aggression, essentially, through indifference—is another aspect, best seen in "Angel Attack," but I toned that down to keep her from coming off as brash. Her drive to pilot Eva—to make the world habitable for people better than her—is an important motivating force. It's not something she gives up on lightly.

Despite these hiccups, Nozomi has an easy chemistry with Shinji. She's laid back, and while she will press him at times, she's not pushy or uppity. Shinji is responsible enough to keep her trollish aspects in check. Nozomi is insightful enough, and passionate to an extent, to keep going where Shinji might need to take a step back. They complement each other well.

Nozomi's focus on art is something that dates back to First Ones, and I've long intended it as a means for her to connect with people and the world. Sketching is part of how she understands people and feelings, and at one point, I had the concept that she sketched in order to try to make those memories permanent and indelible. Here, I think her motivations are somewhat less sappy. Nozomi has an analytical mind, and yet she tries to capture beauty and feeling through her artwork, in part to understand it. It is, then, part of her continual questioning of whether she is feeling the right thing and to the right extent.

Still, the focus is pared back a bit, as I deliberately decided to retire the plotline about her friends in the Art Club (the most prominent of whom was also named Sasaki and whose name I reused). That was, I feel, an ill-conceived idea about giving Nozomi a close friend and potential love interest—that wasn't going anywhere fast.

Aside from her plotline with Hikari, Nozomi fulfills other important roles. She helps probe Shinji's character, as he is quick to shield Nozomi from the trials and hardships he once endured. She's also a source of comic relief, bringing a dose of dry humor that seems fitting to a story that is otherwise serious.

Designing a new character to add to the Evangelion mythos proved to be a challenge. I wanted her physical features to be a little more childish than Asuka or Rei. Shinji sees her as someone to mentor, after all. Her friendship with Shinji, her relationship with Hikari, and her quest to understand herself and others through art are elements I hope resonate with people.

Editing changelog: SV Polish edits for 5.7/Threads

5.6/Sisters II: fixed issues by @Ranma-sensei/#268. Comment: a thin space remains between nested double and single quotes.

5.7/Threads:
  • The chapter now begins with a practice scene
  • Shinji makes contact with Rei aboard the helicopter carrier the night before the battle, and Rei hints at her plans for the battle
  • Shinji's mood during the battle is now influenced by his conversation with Rei
  • The stranger's goals now include trying to dissuade Shinji from allowing Rei to take the action she hinted at
Note: 5.7/Threads is not yet copy-edited. Copy edits will be made in a separate commit before publication.

The Second Coming Part Five - What You Leave Behind - concludes tomorrow with 5.7/Threads.

The Second Coming ends in 7 weeks.

Just finished part three, and I have to say that I really liked what you did with that tense Cold War scenario. It was very cool to read.

It's probably going to take me a while to catch up once more on this, but I look forward to doing so. I'll update my when I do. :)

5.7 Threads
33. Threads

"Okay, let's put tension in the line," said Captain Aoba over the radio. "We've got an Eva to raise."

From the deck of the US salvage ship Grapple, Aoba oversaw the Eva-specific aspects of the salvage mission. Grapple's massive crane leaned over the side of the ship, lowering four cables to the water below.

"We'd want to know how Sasaki's doing at this point." That was Misato. She paced in front of a glass panel with writing in orange marker. "Why don't you check in with him, Plugcom?"

I flinched, and I waved my hands over a bank of buttons and switches. An old CRT monitor in front of me showed only static.

"This one, sir," said a petty officer, who pointed out one unlit button. "Channel number four."

I wiped at my eyes and sighed. "Right, number four." I pushed the button down and fixed my headset on my ear. "Unit-14, Unit-14, this is Manoah Base Control aboard Ise. Do you read me?"

Silence. Misato stopped pacing. She glanced over her shoulder and looked across the room.

I turned my head to the side, following her gaze. "Do you read me?" I said again.

Silence. All eyes in the room turned to the end of my bank of terminals, where Nozomi Horaki sat. With a cocked head, she stared at another static-filled monitor.

I took my finger off the transmit switch. "Nozomi," I said.

"Yeah?" she said, not even looking back at me.

"Do you want to answer?"

"Oh, right!" She straightened up in her seat and shut her eyes. When she spoke, her voice had a low, husky tone. "Ikari? Ikari, is that you? It's so cold down here! I think I'm dying! Come and save me, Ikari! I don't want to die!" She opened one eye to meet my gaze. "How's that?"

Hyuga pressed two fingers to his temple. "Sasaki's weak; he won't have had food or water outside of what he can get from LCL for two days. Just establish contact and say that he'll try to follow instructions."

Nozomi shut her eye again and whispered, "I—I can hear you. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do anything, but I'll try."

Misato shook her head, but she gave me a hand gesture to continue on, and continue we did. For the moment, Nozomi's attempts to become an actress would be ignored. We had a scenario to prepare for. Sasaki was at the bottom of the ocean, and we were going to rescue him.

"Okay, now we'd get Nozomi—" Hyuga glanced down the row of terminals. "The real Nozomi," he clarified, "on the horn so we'd know she's ready to go."

I glanced at control panel again. The petty officer shadowing me put a finger on the row where the right button was, and I hung my head as I pushed it.

Within 24 hours of that time, practice would be over. We'd be on site to rescue Sasaki.

We were off-shore near Myoko Harbor, aboard the helicopter destroyer Ise. MSDF Escort Flotilla 5 had gathered to spearhead the Japanese portion of the operation, and we weren't alone. The US Navy had lent us the salvage ship Grapple, where Aoba and his team stood by as we ran through the procedure. Divers from Grapple had gone down with inflatable buoys, and we'd spent half an hour just getting the air supply pumps working right.

Aboard Ise, the adjustments we had to make were more mundane. The computer systems in Ise's fleet operations room were even more primitive than those in Manoah Base's control room. The computers were old and non-standard, with an array of push buttons and lighted switches. Petty Officer Kobayashi had shadowed me for most of the afternoon just to get me acquainted with the system. I still didn't know what most of the buttons did, and that worried me.

But there was no time to worry. We ran the procedure twice while we were waiting for additional equipment to arrive: MSDF sailors had to hook up a towing platform to the back of one of the flotilla's destroyers. Once that was done, though, we got underway. It would take almost a full day to go around the Korean Peninsula and reach the crash site. While the ship was en route, we couldn't even practice very much. All we could do was eat, sleep, and wait.

I spent some of my time at a railing above the flight deck. I looked to the horizon and counted the ships I could see. Escort Flotilla 5 had eight ships, but at most, I could make out maybe three or four. The formations were so big that half of the fleet was out of sight. I asked one passing MSDF member about this, and he said that the horizon is only five or ten kilometers away at typical heights. There was a whole fleet beyond the horizon, but it couldn't be seen. It couldn't be seen, yet I knew it was there.

As I looked out over the red ocean, which glimmered in the sunset, I said to the wind,

"Ayanami, are you there?"

The answer came without a missing beat. "I am."

She stood beside me at the railing, but while I leaned on the bars, she kept her distance from the edge.

"What do you need from me?" she asked.

"Nothing," I had to admit, staring over the water. "I was just thinking about things you can't look at but know are there; that's all."

She glanced at me. "I see."

"I was a little hard on you the other day," I went on. "I'm sorry about that."

"You don't need to apologize. You said nothing wrong."

I smiled slightly. "I'm glad you feel that way, but it had to be said. I'm trying to do better now. I'm trying to do right by people—by Nozomi, by you, and by Sasaki." I tapped the metal railing. "I hope this will do right by him."

"Ikari…" She turned to face me, but her eyes wouldn't meet mine.

"What?"

"Ikari, this mission is doomed to fail."

"What? No!" I ran along the railing, forcing myself into her view. "No way. It can't. We've got to save him. We can't leave him down there!"

"You're not prepared for what she can do," said Ayanami.

"Watch us," I said. "I think we're more prepared than you realize."

Ayanami leaned to the side and stared past me. "Are you?"

I followed her gaze and looked over the water.

The water was full of bodies. Pale in color, the red water seeped into their flesh, tinting them pink. The bodies bobbed with the waves that passed by, and the creatures' limbs clawed at the air feverishly.

I blinked. I shut my eyes tight, and when I opened them again, the creatures were gone.

"Your mission is doomed," she said again, "but I can change that."

"How?"

"I need something from you: your courage, your conviction."

I laughed. I put both hands on the railing and looked at the wake beneath us. "I'm not courageous, and my conviction almost got Sasaki killed."

"You tried to be more dedicated to the cause than you knew how to be," said Ayanami, "but you are dedicated. You always were."

"Then what could you possibly need from me?" I asked.

"You," she said. "I need you—to be here."

I stared at her, and she took a step closer.

"I'm sorry." Her eyes turned downcast. "You are a friend, but I stayed away from you. I didn't want her to hurt you, so I hurt you instead."

"You had good reasons…"

"That," she said, "is what I told myself, too. Not anymore." Her eyes came up. "I've missed you, Ikari."

"I missed you, too," I said, putting on a sad smile. "So let's not have that come between us anymore. You can rely on me. Let me stand with you. I know it's a risk, but I'm willing to take it."

Ayanami smiled. "Thank you."

I nodded, and we looked to the ocean for a time, admiring the gradient of colors across the sky as the sun set to our left.

"It is a risk," Ayanami said at last, "but no matter what, I will protect you."

She put her hand on top of mine on the railing. She put her hand there—and I felt it. She pulled my little finger up and slipped her hand underneath.

I jolted. My mouth hung open. "Ayanami—"

But she wasn't looking at me. Her eyes were fixed on the sunset. "It hurt to stay away from you," she said, "but if I know you'll have a chance, even that won't hurt me anymore."

I stared at her. I blinked a few times, but no matter how many times I did so, her expression didn't waver.

I raised my hand off the railing a bit, letting her fingers slip into my own. I held Ayanami's hand there, on one of the upper decks of the helicopter destroyer, and I wouldn't let go.

"You don't have to do that," I said. "We're here to save people. We're not here to suffer just so we can feel better about trying."

"I choose this," she said, turning away from the sunset with a wide, radiant smile. "There are things I won't like about it, but it makes me happy."

I squeezed her hand tighter—so tight that my whole body shook. "Please don't do this," I said to her.

Ayanami's smile faded. Her red eyes were cool and determined. "Don't be sad for me, Ikari. When I first chose to do this, I did it for everyone, but everyone couldn't support me. You can." She squeezed my hand back. "And you have. Thank you."

I stopped feeling her. The tension in my hand went away. Her body passed through me again. Once again she was ephemeral and fleeting. She went into a closed steel hatch, and she was gone.

I couldn't sleep much that night. I wanted to blame that on the rolling of the ship or the strange cacophony of noises from its bowels, but that wouldn't be true. At least the engines drowned out the wail of blood rushing through my ears.

The next morning, as Ise approached the engagement site, Nozomi took a boat to Grapple, and the rest of us manned our stations in the operations room. I spoke with Misato about the impending operation. I told her I'd spoken with Ayanami—that I knew we weren't ready. The enemy could do so much to hurt us here. Misato put down a folder and sighed.

"We've done all we can," is what she said, and she put on a weak smile. "We've got extra contingents of marines to protect us and Aoba if the enemy try to board the fleet. We've got Russian, Chinese, and US air support. This is the best we can do—the best that can be done. Right now, we have to hope."

"Hope for what?" I demanded.

"That Rei is wrong."

That was like hoping God would mix up a few letters in an eye exam.

The operation was underway by noon. Divers from Grapple attached buoys to Unit-14's armor, and with the crane's assistance, the Eva lurched off the ocean floor.

I got on the underwater phone to Sasaki. "Hey, do you feel that?" I asked him. "Grapple should be lifting you up now."

My monitor was blank; the underwater phone didn't have enough bandwidth for a video feed, so I could only read Sasaki's mood from his voice. "Uh, maybe?" he said weakly. "To be honest, I've wanted to throw up for about half an hour now."

"The LCL?" I asked him.

"Yeah. I feel like a vampire."

I grimaced at that. "It'll all be over soon. Just be ready to undo the restraints once the LCL is drained. One thing at a time. Work through the procedure step-by-step, and we'll get you out of there."

"Okay…"

Grapple brought the Eva back above water. Aoba's team hooked up an improvized clamp to unscrew the entry plug from the Eva's neck while the beast floated face-down behind the ship. Nozomi stood by on Grapple's deck, plug suit on and ready to go, but just as Aoba's team cracked the entry plug hatch, a thunderous sound boomed over the radio:

CRUNCH!

"What was that?" asked Misato.

Ise shuddered. Misato caught Hyuga, and the two fell against the central strategy table.

The reports came in from Grapple first: the red ocean had turned to flesh. The bodies of walkers coalesced around the fleet. We were trapped like Cheerios in a packed cereal bowl.

Misato got on the horn with Ise's captain. "Blow them up if you have to," she told him. "Carve out a path with their blood if we must!"

Oh, they tried. The ships of the flotilla unloaded round after round from their guns. They launched rockets and depth charges to try to break up the fleshy blockade. It "worked," but only in the most marginal sense: any hole made in the layer of bodies was small, and only enough for a ship to move a few meters through. And even in doing that, some of the ships came up with bent or damaged propellers just trying to move through the bodies.

So paralyzed we were that we were sitting ducks for the Angel.

The Disc Angel came for us from the west. It spun horizontally, levitating about 20 meters over the ocean surface. Its yellow-white glow was like a second sun for the morning sky.

And the Angel came with more than just the intent stop us. It came bearing a gift: it turned over and dropped an object toward Grapple. A wooden ring, as though fashioned from a bundle of vines, thudded on the deck. The object was about two meters in diameter, with prickly spikes all around.

US Marines and salvage staff aboard Grapple raced to action. They tied some lines around the ring-shaped object and pulled on it with winches, but its spikes dug into the deck. The crew attached plastic explosives to the spikes to shatter them, but that only succeeded in scarring the deck's surface.

"What the hell is going on out there, Ikari?" Nozomi asked at one point, as Aoba's team had stalled trying to get her online. "What's that noise?

"It's just, um, a small explosion."

"An explosion? I'm sitting in a metal can with controls that aren't connected to anything, and there are bombs going off outside?"

"Just sit tight; we're working on it!" I looked to Hyuga. "We're working on it, right?"

Hyuga wasn't even looking at me. His eyes stared right through me as he listened to his headset. I switched channels, and I heard what was happening, too:

The enemy was rising. From the sea of bodies that bobbed with the waves, the white, fleshy walkers scaled the hulls of the fleet's ships. Their needle-like fingers pierced metal, giving them the leverage to crawl up.

The security staff aboard Grapple fired volley after volley toward the water, cutting the beasts down, but for every one that fell, there was another waiting in the water, ready to start climbing anew. They climbed in columns and shrugged off impacts when their comrades above were shot and fell back to the water.

"Get ready to be loaded," I told Nozomi. "We're going to need you as soon as you're able."

As Grapple's security forces manned the rails, nearby ships worked to clear areas closer to Grapple and shoot into the surrounding waters.

But the Angel would have none of that. The Disc turned its edge to the water and split a Chinese destroyer in two, leaving behind severed compartments and a white-hot metal gash.

I spun around from my station. "Misato, isn't it time yet?" I demanded. "We've got an ace in the hole; now is the time to use it!"

Misato looked to Hyuga. "Is the tarp off?"

"It is, ma'am."

"Launch it."

At that, Hyuga got on the phone. "This is Hyuga in Fleet Operations. Launch."

The destroyer Makinami had towed a barge all the way to the crash site. The ship's crew folded up a blue tarp, revealing a lean, muscular beast in red, black, and white painted armor: Eva Unit-15. On loan from Germany, it was our last hope against an Angel, and we would use it to the fullest. Once the tarp was stowed, Unit-15 sprang into action: it leapt from ship to ship, using an attached jetpack to soften its landings.

The Angel targeted another ship: the Chinese destroyer Kunming. Personnel on deck ran inside for cover. Unit-15 jumped over like a veteran track and field star, rocking the ship side to side as it put down on helicopter landing pad.

Veering toward the center of Kunming, the Angel would avoid Unit-15 altogether, but Hyuga relayed an idea to our German liaison:

"If you can get it to target the front part low, just before the leading edge, with an upward blow…"

The liaison seemed to understand; she got on the radio with her German superiors, and sure enough, when the Angel came in—spinning with its edge vertical, Unit-15 dashed over the side, burned its jetpack, and bashed its head on the Disc's face. It headbutted the Angel into a wobbly trajectory, knocking the enemy clear of Kunming and into the pile of bodies beyond.

The creatures in the water paddled and swam franctically to try to push the Disc upright. Gunners on Kunming sprayed them with bullets, and Unit-15 crawled over the side of the ship to get an angle for an attack.

But back on Grapple, the enemy was starting to come over the rails. The marines beat back the enemy with the butts of their rifles when ammunition gave out, and Captain Aoba's staff pulled back from the railings, all working to help lift and guide Nozomi's entry plug into Unit-14.

In the fleet operations room aboard Ise, all I could do was wait. Nozomi wasn't up and running yet, but I was still anxious. "Isn't there any way to speed this up?" I asked Hyuga.

"We'll stick to the essential checklist," he told me. "We'll get her out there."

That was looking less and less likely each second. The walkers got a foothold on one corner of the crane platform, and though Grapple sent a handful of men with shotguns to push the enemy back, the aft platform with Unit-14 degenerated into a close-quarters melee.

"Okay!" I heard Aoba cry out over the radio. "One last push, let's go!"

They screwed the plug into place in the Eva; the covering neck plate closed, and the enemy overwhelmed the defenders, piercing their heads and forcibly dissolving them. Aoba and his colleagues took up arms to defend themselves, but single shots from pistols were no match for the enemy: they shrugged off the blows and routed the whole team.

"Nozomi!" I cried. "Are you good to go? You need to get out of there!"

"I don't have control yet!" The entry plug was still dark; she moved the control levers uselessly.

"Remote restart procedure," ordered Hyuga. "How much time?"

"Fifteen seconds!" said another controller.

My eyes focused on the reflection of a light in the monitor, but that's all that was there. I closed my right hand into a fist.

The enemy overran Grapple's deck. They liquefied the marines and Aoba's team, but they ignored the Eva. They went instead for the ring-shaped object whose spikes stuck in the deck of Grapple. The creatures grabbed those spikes, and their arms morphed and softened like putty. They merged with the object, and though they remained connected to it, they came back for the Eva. They came back, and they stabbed at the seams in the Eva's helmet, planting thorny, wooden protrusions.

From those thorns grew vines, bonding the Eva to the ring-shaped object.

The Eva stood up.

"Ikari, I don't have control," said Nozomi. "It's moving on its own; what's going on?"

The fleet operations room was silent.

The vines contracted, bringing the ring-shaped object to the Eva's head.

And the Eva went to work. It jumped clear across the flotilla to Kunming. The added weight pushed the ship down to where its waterline was just below its railings. Unit-14 tackled the German Eva, and the two fought over the aft landing pad. Unit-14 was vicious in its blows, slugging it out with the leaner, but also lighter, Unit-15 in a nasty brawl. It beat the mask off Unit-15, yanked off the legplates, and stomped on Unit-15's chest.

"Fight it, Nozomi!" I insisted. "You have to do something!"

"I can't!" She slapped the controls and yanked on them as hard as he could. The levers gave no resistance. It was though they weren't connected to anything at all.

Outside the fleet operations room, gunshots rang out. The rhythmic beats of shotgun blasts echoed through the corridors.

My eyes lost focus. "Ayanami," I said, staring past the monitor, "we need you."

"I'm here."

She appeared, in the reflection of the monitor. I turned to face her, and her image was only slightly more real—translucent and expressionless she was, but she was there.

"Ayanami," I said, "I think you might be right."

"Are you?" Another voice interrupted. "You're willing to leave her to this?"

The hooded stranger—she stood on the opposite side of the command table, and she approached, not minding Misato and Hyuga's bodies that were in the way: she passed right through them (to Misato's visible irritation). She kept her gaze fixed on me, despite the hood covering her eyes.

"She puts her trust in you again." The stranger cocked her head. "It was foolish the first time; it's no smarter now. She still wants to be here." The stranger looked to Ayanami. "This is an act of false hope, Lilith: false hope for you, false hope for your children. You would only make it more difficult for both of us."

"They're capable of more than you give them credit for," said Ayanami. "You're afraid of what they can do."

The stranger hissed at that. "You're afraid, too." The stranger faced me again. "How much of your friendship have you missed out on? How much more do you stand to lose this way? You can't let her condemn herself to this fate. That would be a betrayal of everything you have together."

I slammed a fist on the console. "The only person who ever betrayed her is you! You betrayed what she stood for; you betrayed what you all stood for! And for what? To destroy us?"

The stranger looked to me, and her lips curled in exasperation. "Destroy you?" she echoed. "Please. I am freeing you from Lilith's misconceptions, from her misguided beliefs. You of all people know what pain is like. You know that the dream she intends for you is impossible. See the futility of what you strive for. See it—and let go."

"It is not futile." Ayanami stepped between us, staring down the enemy. "And they will show you that, not me."

I stepped around her, trying to catch her gaze. "Ayanami—"

"Ikari." She smiled for me. She smiled so gently, yet it was a full smile, too—full and without reservation. "Thank you," she said, "but now, I must break a promise."

Shuddering, I couldn't bear to look at her for long. "I—I know."

Ayanami nodded at me, and she fixed her eyes on the enemy. She raised a hand to the stranger, and she brought it down with the force of a hammer.

And there was a shattering. The world shattered, and my heart went along with it.

The shards left behind were images of Ayanami and the stranger, scattered images that reflected them in various stages of conflict. Ayanami and the stranger traded blows. Those surreal still frames littered the operations room. Ayanami and the stranger punched, grabbed, and kicked at one another in endless positions and combinations.

The camera on Unit-14 showed the same. All over the ocean and the deck of Kunming, these ghastly images lingered.

And with those images in the background, the day was saved. Unit-14 collapsed in a heap. The walkers liquefied. LCL seeped under the operations room hatch. The Disc Angel spun itself out of the water and flew a wobbling course away.

Ayanami did something great for us that day. She found something inside her that she didn't know she had before—not when she was searching for meaning all those years ago, not even at the Horaki home two days before. I don't know what she found, but I know that she'd been striving to be a little more than what she'd been. And she accomplished that.

She accomplished that and was happy for it. I knew that to be true because, when I looked at those supernatural images of Ayanami and the stranger, there was one thing abundantly clear:

Ayanami always had a smile on her face.

What You Leave Behind
The Second Coming Part Five End​

Last edited:
Back