I like this chapter; it shows a lot of character growth in Asuka.

As for the mistakes I found: I'm again only reading this by phone, so please excuse any shortness on my part, or autocorrect errors.

While we enjoyed her help for the timebeing, Asuka was quick to point out that her long-term future was still up in the air:
Missing a space.
"Maybe Asuka need isn't a change of place but a change of pace."
This sentence appears to be somewhat jumbled. The meaning is clear, but it sounds wrong.
The cut ends dissipated into the air as a blue haze, trailing in Unit-14's wake, and for the moment, that was all the Mist angel dared to do.
Forgot to upper-case this.
I shot a glanced at the systems controllers, and Maya gave a cautious, positive nod.
'glance'
At that, Asuka slid away from our cubicle an carried her headset in hand, stretching the cord to its limit.
I think you mean 'and'.
Nozomi shook the fingers on her left hand and coughed.
Not sure if it's wrong, but I always only knew it as 'of' in this constellation, so I decided to mark it.
No, it wasn't until later that night, when I'd already cleaned my teeth and was heading to bed, that I heard from her—with a knock on my base quarters door.
Needs an apostrophe.

Is that colon break supposed to be like that?
I think it's deliberate. I've seen it and commas at the end of paragraphs before speech frequently.

Last edited:
Editing changelog: SV polish edits for 5.1/Faltering

General changes: Hyuga is now more consistently referred to as "Major," not "Captain." Previously published chapters will not reflect this change unless or until updated for other reasons.

4.7/Tether: fixes from @Ranma-sensei/#226

General changes for Part 5 - What You Leave Behind:
  • The hooded stranger is now more consistently referred to as wearing a hood (not a veil)
  • She is also now more consistently referred to as "she" not "they"

5.1/Faltering:
  • General wording and sentence structure cleanup. Removed several wordy phrases that added nothing.
  • Clarified Shinji's sketch
  • Added some narration as Shinji is on the way to the infirmary, and then as he waits outside
  • Added narration as Shinji is on the way back to the control room about Sasaki
  • Inserted a break after Shinji leaves the control room and more narration as he returns to his office

5.3/Progenitors II:
  • Reworded some things in the opening passage
  • Shinji is significantly more hostile toward "the thing with Horaki's face" etc., directly and also in narration
  • Tweaked elements of Rei at the airlock to work with above
  • Shinji now references what happened to Rei as a betrayal, and Rei leverages this observation to persuade him

5.7/Threads: tweaked the scene with the stranger taking off her hood for a more natural action-reaction flow.

The Second Coming Part Five - What You Leave Behind - will soon begin:

Nozomi breaks down under the stress of piloting, and Project Manoah is forced to install her backup, Sasaki. Rei pushes Shinji to train Sasaki well and thoroughly, and through a vision of Rei's distant past, Shinji realizes just how deeply invested Rei is in this conflict. Wisdom from that lesson is needed, for Shinji's approach toward Sasaki puts Eva-14 in a precarious position and risks leaving Japan with two pilots down.

5.1/Faltering on Thursday.

The Second Coming ends in 13 weeks.

5.1 Faltering
Part Five: What You Leave Behind

27. Faltering

It was during the war that I tried learning to draw.

By that point, I wasn't nearly as good as Nozomi. The faces I made were angular and jagged. I struggled with finding the right size for eyes, but I worked at it every now and then. If I had ten or fifteen minutes to kill, I'd pull out a sketchpad and do my best imitation of an artist.

I won't pretend I was any good, but I did find it helpful for focus, and to unwind. Typically, I tried to draw something that had happened so I could better understand what went on and whether I wished something had gone differently. The sight of Asuka leading Nozomi to victory in Beijing was one of those, and of course, I didn't wish for any of that to change.

People were difficult for me, though—especially their faces. I could get the general shape of people just fine, though, so I gravitated to scenes where the faces weren't so important: for instance, the sight of seven figures in my father's office, sitting at table while they proposed to change the fate of their people.

In that case, I ignored their faces because I knew those faces were fake anyway. What they looked like didn't matter. What mattered was what those seven souls decided to do.

Ayanami came to us because of what those seven decided to do.

The Angels came to us because of that, too.

We existed—we lived and breathed and died—because of them.

There were seven of them: one who went by the name Rei Ayanami, another by the name Kaworu Nagisa, and five others still—with names in their native tongue—whom I didn't know as well. I drew them with shaded, black faces, in part because the glare of light from outside—shining through vast windows that circled the whole room—drowned out their features.

I drew most of them with their eyes focused on the audience, but one of them looked back through the fourth wall, as if to stare directly into my soul.

"That's not bad."

So said Hyuga, who peered over my shoulder.

I flipped the page, presenting him a blank slate, and I put the pencil aside. "I need more practice," I said.

"Well, I guess we know exactly the person to teach you."

We were in the control room, which sat empty but for the two of us—a typical setup for a morning of simulation training. Hyuga nodded to the front screen, which showed a wireframe entry plug—also empty.

"You think dinner didn't agree with her?" he asked.

I winced. "Did it agree with you?"

"I think anyone who could get along with that meal deserves a Nobel Prize. I was at war with it all night."

I laughed, and I picked up my sketchbook to go check on Nozomi. Sure, maybe I was a little too self-conscious about it in front of Hyuga, but that's typical, right? You naturally want to keep something away from other people until you're satisfied with it, and I wasn't yet. I could still do better. Nozomi would've been the first to say so—and also the first to congratulate me when I showed progress. I admit, I was looking forward to some more of that, too.

Maybe that was the most unexpected thing, for me: I've never had a lot of people I looked forward to seeing. That's just not my personality, and I think, at the time Misato roped me into all this, I probably wasn't in the state of mind to try to make new friends.

Yet somehow, after a rough start, I managed to make friends with this standoffish girl—even though I didn't want to bring anyone else into my life, even though she thought I was pathetic. It could've been a lot worse: sometimes, her artwork was the easiest thing to read about her.

One thing I knew for sure, though, was that she didn't tend to run late, so I went to her quarters and knocked. "Hey, it's me," I said. "Everything all right in there?"

After a few moments, the door creaked open—just by a sliver. Nozomi peered out with strands of disheveled hair in front of her eyes. "Hey," she said weakly. "Sorry, must've lost track of time."

"Are you sick?" I asked. "If you need the infirmary—"

"No, no, I'm good! I'm good." She wasn't looking at me. She had her sketchpad in hand. She was drawing even as she talked to me.

I pushed on the door. "Nozomi—"

"No, Ikari—"

There were pages on the floor.

There were pages and pages and pages of drawings on the floor, ripped out from the sketchpad's binding with frayed edges. They covered the room like a carpet—one decorated in huge, sweeping pencil strokes and jagged lines.

"Stop looking!" cried Nozomi. "You don't need to see!"

Even then, she was still sketching.

I pulled on her sketchpad, and it slid out of her hands. I took the pencil, too, but her arms and hands stayed in place. They made phantom sketching motions in the air, and Nozomi's eyes stayed on the place where the sketchpad had once been.

"You don't need to see," she said, shaking. "Stop looking. You don't need to see…."

I knew this would happen.

This is what happens to people who pilot Eva. They go out and fight, and then they break. It was only a matter of time. I'd pretended I could stop it. I wanted to believe I could make the difference. I, and I alone, could step in and keep Nozomi whole. That was a big reason why I agreed to be her handler in the first place.

How hopelessly naive I was, right? I never had a chance of keeping her together, but I could hold her up—I could carry her—even when the weight of the world pressed her down.

And that's what I did. I carried Nozomi. I carried her to the infirmary. She was in no state to walk—nor even to break away from me even if she resisted. And sadly, it wasn't difficult, either. Nozomi was quite light.

When we arrived at the infirmary, the staff had me lay her on a bed. They closed a privacy screen and worked on her. Even so, I stood outside the infirmary door, and I listened.

"Hey, Nozomi?" asked one of the medics. "Nozomi, how are you doing? Are you with me?"

A pause.

"Good, that's good. We're just gonna have you get some rest and get some fluids in you, all right? Sound good? Great. Just relax. There you go. Relax."

Another pause. The medic's chipper voice lowered considerably.

"Okay, what do we have?"

"160 over 100," said another medic. "Pulse 96."

"Right, let's settle her down then. Get her some rest, and I'll get the captain."

The head medic emerged from the privacy screen, and his gaze met mine. "We'll know more when the captain is here," he said. "Right now, she's stable."

"That's good," I said, "thank you."

He peered out the doorway, clipboard in hand. "Do you want to come in? Sit down?"

"Is there anywhere?" I asked.

He shook his head. "If anything serious happens, we have to convert the exercise room into triage space. They have us crammed in here pretty tight."

I nodded. "That's all right then."

The medic gave me a respectful nod in return, and he took a seat at his desk. The infirmary staff had it under control: they were monitoring Nozomi's vitals, and they were calling for the head doctor to come take a look. She'd be in good hands. They'd take care of her. If she were bleeding somewhere or just hadn't eaten, they'd fix that. They could fix a lot of things like that.

Even so, I paced about the outside of the infirmary. I clenched my hand into a fist and opened it, feeling the muscles contract and the bones shift within my arm.

I took a peek inside the infirmary door. The blue privacy sheet blocked me from seeing Nozomi. The only evidence she was alive was the rhythmic beeping of the EKG. It beeped and beeped, slow and steady—no doubt thanks to the drugs they'd given her to make her sleep.

But I wasn't asleep. I was still there. I was still awake. I couldn't dismiss this as something hypothetical, as a bad dream.

It was inevitable, right?

Piloting Eva breaks you one way or another—in body or mind. Perhaps both. Piloting Eva had broken Nozomi into pieces, yet I was still there—still whole, still intact. I clenched my hand and felt all of that. Eva broke her and cursed me to still be there, to still be alive.

I took that hand—the hand with all its muscles and bones enslaved by my brain—and punched an exposed pipe on the corridor wall.

CLANG!

The head medic peered out of the doorway, phone and clipboard in hand. He put the handset aside, asking,

"Are you all right?"

I nodded, gritting my teeth, and I wriggled each of my fingers. "I'm good!" I said. "Just fine!"

The medic frowned at that, but he said nothing more about it. "Sorry to interrupt," he said, "but the general's calling for you."

Wringing my hand, I followed him inside, and he offered me his desk and the phone. He disappeared down the row of beds, and I put the handset to my ear.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey," said Misato. "Our girl's not doing too well, is she?"

I glanced at the blue curtain. "No, she's not. I don't know what happened. I just found her like this—shaken."

"That's rough. Are you hanging in there?"

I huffed, and I wiggled the fingers on my hand again. "That's not that important right now, is it?"

"It is a little," she said. "We've got to have someone who can train pilots, after all. Angels don't wait for a fair fight, do they?"

I sighed. "No, they don't."

"Kazuto is on the way to simulation," she said. "Are you up for it?"

"Yeah," I said. "I'll be there."

"All right. Let me know how it goes."

I hung up. It was quiet then, in the infirmary, with only Nozomi's heartbeat breaking the silence.

I drummed my fingers, sore as they were, on the head medic's desk. I watched the privacy screen ripple slightly—from Nozomi's breath, I wondered, or was it just an air current?

I sighed, and I picked up my things—my sketchpad and pencil. I went to that curtain and slid it open.

"Oh, hello there." That was the second medic, who was measuring out some fluids for an IV bag. "Do you need a minute?"

I shook my head, and I just looked Nozomi over for a moment. The medics had already cut her clothes off and put her in a hospital gown. They'd taken her hairband too, so her short ponytail was totally undone, leaving stray hairs scattered about her pillow. Her mouth was open slightly as she slept, exposing a few millimeters of her front teeth—probably the only time I'd seen those teeth, considering she seldom smiled wide enough to bare them.

I took Nozomi's hand for a moment, and I admit I was foolish enough to look at the EKG display and hope her heartbeat might change, but it didn't. She was still out.

"I'm still here," I said to her, forcing a smile to my lips.

And I tucked my sketching pencil into her hand.

Our primary backup pilot was Kazuto Sasaki.

Sasaki had several aspects of his personality and talent working against him. He was introverted. His synch rate was a few points lower than Nozomi's, and he could get flustered in complex situations, particularly if he made a mistake.

In spite of all that, Sasaki was our best option. He was intelligent, and his synch rates didn't fluctuate much on a day-to-day basis. He had family support for him being a pilot as well. I hoped that meant he would not succumb to stress over the short term. We only needed him to be the pilot as long as Nozomi was laid up.

To meet Sasaki for his first exercises as pilot number 1, I trudged upstairs to the control room level, and when I swiped in to open the doors, Hyuga was quick to greet me.

"I heard about Nozomi," he said. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I told him, and I plopped into my station's chair. I tossed my sketchpad on my desk and traded it for a folder of exercises. "Sasaki's coming to take her spot, right? Has he been briefed about the exercise agenda?"

A voice beside me answered, "We just went over it."

Asuka. She turned around in her swiveling chair and held up a folder identical to mine.

"Hey there," she said, shooting me a sheepish grin. "You okay?"

"I'm fine, really," I said, laughing it off. "People are looking at me like I'm sick or something, but I'm fine. Look, see?" I flexed my arms. "If you look hard enough, you can almost see muscle!"

Asuka folded her arms and shot me a faux-cross look. "This is not helping."

"It's not? I'm really proud of this!"

She hissed at that, shaking her head, and she slapped me on the back with her folder. "If you're fine, then let's get to work, Muscle Man. Are we ready to go?"

I put on my headset and settled into my seat. "Let's find out." I pressed the transmit button on the cord. "Hello, Sasaki? Are you with us?"

A boy's image appeared on my monitor and the middle projector screen at the front of the room. Sasaki was already strapped into a simulation entry plug. His hair was sandy in color and cut into a bowl. He was small for a boy his age, and for this reason, the plug chair seemed like an uncomfortable fit for him. He shifted in his seat several times even in the span of a single conversation, like this one.

"I—I'm here, Ikari," he said. "I can hear you."

"That's good," I said, standing at my station. "Sorry we asked you down here on such short notice."

"It's all right." His eyes went back and forth. "Um, is it true—about Horaki?"

"She might be out for a while, yes," I said. "It's likely you're going to be the pilot for the next mission."

He looked aside—forward in the entry plug, but away from the camera. "Right away?" he said.

"We have Angels in the Russian Far East, so it could be anytime," I said. "Let's see if we can get you up to speed, all right?"

Sasaki nodded at that, gripping the controls tightly. "Okay, I'm ready."

"Good," I said, and I flipped through the exercise folder to the first scenario. "All right, this is an extraction scenario. You've engaged the enemy but have been damaged. Your right arm will not work for the duration of the scenario. Get to the extraction point before it's overrun. Got it?"

He gulped and nodded.

I looked to Hyuga, who gave me the OK sign, and I started counting down. "Exercise begins in three, two, one, start!"

The screens came to life. A virtual cityscape formed, and the virtual Unit-14 stood among the buildings. Its right arm was bent, broken at the forearm, and Sasaki cradled the wound.

"Extraction waypoint is up now," I said. "One kilometer south by southeast. Sixty seconds until the extraction point is overrun. Go!"

Sasaki made a move down one of the city streets, but he faced resistance: the Mist Angel. The Mist floated above Unit-14, spreading its airy tendrils across the buildings' faces. Where the Mist touched, metal corroded and withered, like plants exposed to acid rain.

Unit-14 drew a prog knife with its left hand, and it barreled down the cramped street blade-first. It cut through the mist with repeated slicing motions, and the remains of each corrosive tendril was like a spray of confetti against the Eva's AT field.

But Sasaki could only cut where he could see.

CLANK! A white mass attached to Unit-14's head: a three-winged shrieker, which transformed out of its disc-like flying state to clamp down on the Eva's helmet. Two more shriekers latched on to the back and side of the helmet, as though they were magnets to a giant lump of iron. The shriekers spread their wings, blocking Sasaki's vision forward, above, and to one side, and they pressed their round mouthparts against the Eva's armor, drilling into the metal plating.

"Okay, uh, Ikari? Ikari?" Sasaki recoiled from the creatures that were just in front of the Eva's face. "What can I do here?"

Asuka and I exchanged a glance. Asuka shrugged, shaking her head.

I said, "It's all right; just fight them off. They're not strong enough to stay attached if you resist."

"Okay, I'll do that." Sasaki put the prog knife back in the Eva's shoulder pylon, and he started pulling the shriekers off like ticks.

"No, wait!' I cried. "Without your knife, you don't have anything to fight off the tendrils!"

Sure enough, Sasaki plucked two of the shriekers off the Eva's face, but a pair of tendrils grabbed the Eva, taking it by the legs and neck. They carried the Eva skyward, wrapping it up in burning mist—like a frog suspended in boiling water.

An alarm sounded, and the virtual cityscape and Angel vanished.

"Okay," I said, "you didn't make it to the extraction point in time. It was overrun, and you were stranded. We need to find a way not to get held up under fire like that."

"Yeah, you're right," said Sasaki. He shook his head, blinked, and let out a heavy breath. "What do I need to do differently this time?"

"Your knife is the best protection you have against those tendrils," I said. "That's in the briefing, right?"

"Sorry," said Sasaki. "I didn't get a good look at it before I sat down."

Asuka snorted, shaking her head, and she idly flipped through the pages of the exercise regimen.

"Well," I said, after that pause, "now you know. Keep that knife out at all times. If you let that Angel surround you, you're dead. Understand?"

"Yeah." Sasaki nodded. "I think. I got it. Definitely."

I looked to Asuka, but she merely shrugged. "He's gotta go out and do it," she said. "No substitute for that."

Sighing, I scratched my head, rolled my shoulders, and leaned forward at my station. "All right," I said. "Let's do it again. Hyuga?"

He pressed a few keys on his keyboard. "Clock's running."

I nodded. "Three, two, one, go!"

Take two. The virtual cityscape assembled itself from wireframes and polygons, and Sasaki wasted no time in making for the extraction waypoint—he went after it even before the marker appeared on his screen. Down one alley and up another, he ran Unit-14 at a dead sprint, crushing cars and alien walkers underfoot without remorse or regret.

He was prepared for the enemy, too: he drew his prog knife straight away. A tendril formed behind him, but he sliced it in two before it could make a move. When a band of shriekers latched on to the Eva's face, he pried them free with the knife's tip, keeping his vision clear.

"Okay, good," I said, "that's good, we—"

CRUNCH! A section of street collapsed, and from the pit emerged the third alien species: the diggers. Their hollow, tubelike bodies moved by rippling contractions along their lengths, but when they left the earth, their torsos split along a single line, exposing a series of interlocked finger-like appendages—strong enough for walking and dextrous enough to manipulate manhole covers and fire hydrants.

The diggers collapsed one street, burrowing into the pavement and soil beneath, and they wrecked whole city blocks around by releasing water from the mains, rendering footing there treacherous at best.

"Okay, Sasaki, stand by," I said, and I released the transmit switch. "Asuka, what do you think?"

She sat back in her seat, arms folded with a sour expression. "It blows. You might be able to jump the gap, but if he doesn't make it—well, if you do want him to jump it…" She zoomed out on the overhead camera feed, and she pointed out two areas on the screen with the eraser end of a pencil. "Have him back up to here, and maybe try to make it to this building on the left? It would be easier as two—" She stopped. "Whoa, what is he doing?"

Sasaki was already backing Unit-14 up—as far back down that road as he could go without turning a corner.

"Sasaki," I said, "what are you doing?"

"We're out of time, right?"

"Look, stand by means—"

He bolted. Unit-14 charged down the street like a bull.

"Wait!" I cried. "Sasaki, wait!"

The Eva leapt over the sinkhole!

THUD.

But not, you know, all the way over the sinkhole.

The Eva fell into the pit, and the diggers dogpiled Sasaki, burying him in their own flesh. At that point, it was just a matter of letting the clock run out.

Simulation failed. If that had been an arcade game, we'd have lost a good hundred yen by that point.

I shook my head, and I let the headset dangle around my neck. I ran some fingers through my hair, took a breath, and said into my microphone,

"Sasaki, what was that?"

I clicked a button on the communication control panel, so that Sasaki's voice would go through the whole speaker system of the control room. His reply was,

"We were running out of time, right?"

I rubbed my forehead and brushed some stray hairs out of my eyes. "We were working on a solution down here," I said. "That's what we do. We talk to people and try to work things out, so you can focus on the situation in front of you, but that means you've got to wait for us to get there."

"But—" Sasaki looked aside, fumbling for words. "Did you guys have a plan, or not?"

"Yes," I said, "we had a plan!"

Asuka put her headset down. "Shinji…"

"This was the plan," I said, and I took a pencil and my sketchpad to illustrate. "Here's the street, right? And here—" I drew a crude rectangle next to some parallel lines. "Here is a building on the left side of the street. Instead of jumping the whole length of the sinkhole, you jump to the building on the left, then all the way across. This is what we worked out; it takes ten, maybe fifteen seconds to figure out."

"Shinji…" said Asuka.

"So all you have to do," I said, keeping my eyes on Sasaki, "is wait for us and listen to us when we ask you to. You have to trust us and not try to deal with something all by yourself even when we offer help. Do you understand?"

Sasaki stared back at me like a squirrel in front of a busy highway. "Uh, yeah, I—"

"Do you?" I demanded, slapping the sketchpad down on my desk. "Are you sure?"

At that, Asuka reached over, into my side of the cubicle, and she clicked the mute button on the transmit control.

"Do you need a minute?" she asked.

"Do I need a minute?" I echoed.

"Yeah, do you?" Her eyes were steady and stern.

I looked to Hyuga, but he was thoroughly avoiding both of us—he flipped through the folder of exercises, despite it being upside-down.

I looked to Sasaki, who could see us but not hear. He was still sitting at the controls for the simulation, and he trembled—not a lot, since he had a vice's grip on the actuation levers, but that just put more of the shaking into his body. He blinked as he watched us—the way a gazelle on the African savannah dares to blink only when it knows it's safe, for a moment.

"Yeah," I said, bowing my head. "Maybe I need some time."

"Okay." Asuka put a hand on my shoulder. "I'll see you a little later, right?"

"Yeah." I didn't meet her gaze. I just picked up my sketchpad and spare pencil to go.

As I cleared out of the control room, Asuka and Hyuga got started on the next simulation. Asuka took her place at my station, put on my headphones, and got to work talking to Sasaki.

"Okay," she said. "You heard the man. If you hear standby, you'd better be damn sure of yourself before you go against that order, got me? We've got to work as a team here. If you're not sure what to do, just ask. There's no harm in that. If you haven't heard from us in a while, ask. We're probably trying to figure things out. Okay? Got that?" A pause. "Good, now let's try it again, all right? From the top!"

I drifted back to my office, and I shut the door behind me. There was a stack of papers on my desk—reports, briefings, and the like—but I took one look at them and pushed them as far aside as I could.

I think I came to understand Misato a bit more in that moment. What must she have felt the times when I threatened to leave, or when I became trapped in the Eva? The work has to go on, but the bond we shared outside of that—outside of a pilot and his superior—couldn't be dismissed. It was there. It mattered to us. Having it severed was like feeling my own umbilical cord cut.

I didn't know how Misato coped with that in her time (no, cases of Yebisu don't count as coping). All I knew was that I knew nothing. We hadn't even been on a mission for a couple days. The Eva was undergoing repairs. How could this have happened?

To find an answer, I went back through combat footage. I put on my headphones, watched, and listened:

"I'm going to be bean paste here if I don't get an answer!"

That was Nozomi's voice on the footage. I reviewed film from the entry plug and exterior cameras of this battle and others, from when Nozomi used the puncture engine or did not.

The Angels had touched Nozomi's mind. They had always tried to do this, and the puncture engine enabled that effort—at least at one point.

But Nozomi had been examined and cleared. I laid out her brain scans in front of me, but the folds and lobes of her brain told me nothing of what was going on within them.

As I paged through these files, I left entry plug footage playing in the background. Eventually, I came back to the beginning: Nozomi's pilot profile. It showed a photo of a girl without a smile, who was "private and unsociable" and "frank to the point of causing offense," but also "cool under pressure and totally undeterred by adversity."

It amazed me, really: someone on this base had reduced her, along with each of the rest of our pilot candidates, to a few short phrases.

That was how I was meant to get to know them.

That was how I was supposed to learn who they were.

"Okay, yeah," said the voice on the tape. "What am I looking at here?" A pause. "Your 'best guess'?"

That was the Nozomi who existed outside of short dossier: she watched her surroundings with a steady, discerning gaze, and when her handler on the radio put forward a marginal piece of information, she wasn't shy to express her irritation with that.

But there was a Nozomi who existed outside of that video footage, too: the one who gave me my own sketchpad and who taught me how to draw.

That dossier—it was like a photograph of a jigsaw puzzle from a distance. You could glean major features from it, but when the cameraman zoomed in, you'd see that some of the pieces were missing or that others didn't fit the way you thought they did.

I didn't know much more about how to study photographs than I did about art or drawing, so after some time, I paused the cycle of entry plug footage on my workstation, and I piled up all the papers, test results, medical records, and all the rest of that into a neat stack.

I picked up the phone, and I dialed an increasingly familiar number.

"Horaki residence," said a voice.

"It's me," I said. "Have you heard?"

"I have. Is she awake?"

"Not yet, but—would you come down?"

"For Nozomi?"

"Yes."

There was a long pause.

Then, finally, she said,

"I'm on my way."

I waited for Horaki at the blast door. By the time she arrived, it was late morning, so traffic on the train was nonexistent. That was hardly unexpected: the train only went between National Square and the mountain, and base personnel typically ate on-site, with only a few venturing back downtown for a change of pace.

In a way, I felt bad for making the base staff open the blast door in the first place. Sure, it may have been a nice break in the monotony of standing watch, but it was still a favor of sorts—for Nozomi, and for me. As much as they may have understood Horaki being there, it was still something I had asked for.

When the blast door opened, Horaki came through, thanked the operator, and fell into step beside me. "Sorry I took so long," she said. "How are you, Ikari?"

"I'm…trying," I said, leading her up the dark, rocky tunnel to the base. "That this happened to Nozomi so suddenly…." I shook my head. "What about you?"

"Well…" Horaki sighed. "Nozomi's in good hands. What else can I do?"

I nodded at that. "It's hard, isn't it? Still, thanks for coming. I think Nozomi would appreciate it."

"Really?" She looked straight, her gaze serious and full of deliberate intent. But, after a moment, her eye caught mine from the side, and she smiled slightly. "Thank you for that," she said. "I'm glad you called me down here. This is a tough time—for all of us, right?"

I put on a smile, laughed slightly, and said nothing more for a time. I walked Horaki up the tunnel to the base, and I swiped us into the civilian and officer quarters. Since Nozomi was still under sedation, we headed for her quarters. In my haste, I'd left the door open—a security oversight that turned out to be convenient. Nozomi had left a mess of broken pencils and discarded sketches, many of them ripped straight from her drawing pad. I hoped Horaki might have some insight into Nozomi's art, enough to make sense of what had happened to her.

"I see she made a mess," Horaki said when we arrived. She sighed and shook her head. "That's very Nozomi."

"It is?" I said.

"Hm, well—it's not that she's messy so much as indifferent, sometimes. She cleans when it suits her."

"And when is that?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

I might have been overly optimistic about this idea. As I rummaged through the scattered papers, Horaki took to tidying up Nozomi's suitcase and dresser drawers. Nozomi had left a pile of clothes on top of her suitcase, and Horaki packed them up for the base laundromat.

"Has she been busy?" asked Horaki.

I stared at her, open-mouthed.

"Sorry." Horaki touched two fingers to her temple and shook her head. "I just meant that, even in a normal situation, Nozomi tends to make herself busy."

"Doing what?"

"Drawing, of course." She put a foot down on the top of the suitcase and used her weight to press it flat and zip the bag up. "All day and all night, she's searching for something. She'll go out to the train tracks and try to catch the cars in motion. I don't know how you can draw a train when it's a blur going by, but she tries anyway." Horaki stood the suitcase upright. "She doesn't have as much time for that here, does she?"

I shook my head, and I picked up another two pages of discarded sketches. "No, we spend a lot of time in the simulator—when she's not on missions, that is. We practice a lot."

"And she handles that?"

"She does. She doesn't complain. She just works on getting better."

Horaki wheeled the suitcase to the door. "Strange thing to take pride in."

"I'm not sure pride is the reason."

"Then what?"

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came to mind, and I shrugged helplessly.

"That's Nozomi," said Horaki, nodding.

So it was. Our jigsaw puzzle had missing pieces, and there was only a chance some of them might have been scattered among the pages left on Nozomi's floor.

We collected the sketches and sketch fragments, and we went through them one sheet at a time, paging through drawings of the Horaki house and surroundings, the tunnel leading to the base, and the Angels Nozomi and I had fought. We pried through Nozomi's inspirations with neither remorse nor hesitation. We scoured everything that had made an impression on her heart.

Such as a movie theater.

"Ikari?" asked Horaki. "What is it?"

The wrinkled wad of paper quivered in my hand, and I grabbed my wrist to steady it. On that crumpled sheet, with pencil lines smeared and blurred, was a sketch of a movie theater. The point of view was from the front, looking to the left down that row. The seats were in a stadium configuration, with each row much higher than the one before it. Nozomi captured it all, right down to the fuzz on the seat cushions.

And just a couple seats away from the virtual camera sat something that looked like Hikari Horaki.

There were few sketches like these, though—each with variations on the scene. In one, for instance, Ayanami appeared to step between them—an intervention without success, I'm sure. In another, the three of them sat before the theater screen and watched Angel battles around the world.

"Is it a dream?" asked Horaki. "I don't remember visiting a theater like that. I don't know why Nozomi—"

"No," I said, putting the stack of sketches on the nightstand. "It's not a dream, and that's not you in it."

"But it looks just like me, doesn't it?"

I took the top sheet and made for the door. "Give me a minute."

"Ah—okay?"

I went out into the hallway and shut the door behind me. I smoothed out that piece of paper on the wall, and there was no mistake: from the size of the screen, to the position of the projector, to the velvet felt on the seats.

And Ayanami, too—she had been there.

"Ayanami," I said to the ceiling, "I need to talk to you."

"Do you?"

And there she was. She appeared behind me, and I spun around to meet her. She stood there, under the white fluorescent lights of the base corridors, but she wasn't really there. Her gaze was sharp and penetrating, but I could see through her, too. What stood in front of me was no more than a translucent figure in the shape and colors of Rei Ayanami.

Still, while those penetrating eyes were intimidating, I balled a hand into a fist at my side, and I said to her,

"I do; I need to talk to you." I showed her the sketch of the theater. "And to her."

"That," said Ayanami, her eyes narrowing slightly, "is not something you should want."

"If this is the enemy's doing—"

"And if it is, what would you do? What could you say to stop it?"

"I—"

"Your pilot is asleep," said Ayanami. "Isn't there someone else you should help now?"

"Yes, but—"

"Or is this about helping yourself?"

She froze me with her implacable stare, and I stood paralyzed in front of her, like a newborn chick who couldn't even chirp.

"Ikari?" Nozomi's door opened, and Horaki peeked into the hallway. "What's going on?"

I tensed up. "Uh—you see, Ayanami is…well…"

"Ayanami?" asked Horaki. "What about her?"

I looked back down the hallway. Ayanami was gone.

I made my apologies to Horaki for the confusion, and I made arrangements for her to stay in Nozomi's room for the time being—at least while Nozomi was in the infirmary. We caught up with Asuka on the way to lunch—at which Horaki would be our guest. Asuka wasn't in a great mood.

"Way to leave me stuck with that kid, Shinji," she said, wiping some sweat from her brow. "Here I am, trying to teach him how to handle real action, and you're seeing my best friend behind my back, huh?"

My eyes went wide. "It's not like that!"

The girls burst out laughing, though Asuka's was a little wearier than Horaki's. "Relax," said Asuka, but she went serious again. "Still, we're gonna have to hope for the best with that kid."

"I'll take over for the afternoon session," I told her. "I know there are exercises we still need to work on."

Asuka raised an eyebrow. "Not gonna be time for that."

"Why not?"

"Hyuga got word during the session: Angels are headed for Vladivostok. We could be seeing battle as soon as this afternoon."

No sooner than she said that we ran into Sasaki near the officers' mess door. That made it official: he was the pilot, but the way he used his bowl of sandy hair to hide from us, you might not have believed it.

"Sasaki," I said, putting on a reassuring smile, "it's going to be fine."

I caught only one eye of his under his hair, and he gave me just a slight nod before heading inside. Asuka and Horaki followed him in, and I brought up the rear.

Last edited:
Hm, broken Nozomi, angry Shinji, and calm Asuka.

Yep, the world's gonna end. :V
I didn't know how Misato coped with that in her time.
Obviously, she drank beer like a fish breathes water.

I won't pretend I was any good, but I did find helpful for focus, and to unwind.
'find it helpful'?
Yet somehow, after a rough start, I managed to make friends this standoffish girl—even though I didn't want to bring anyone else into my life, even though she thought I was pathetic.
'friends with this'
I hoped that meant he would not succumb to stress over the short term.
Uh, I always thought you can only use 'over' for the long term variant?
A virtual cityscape formed, and the (virtual) Unit-14 stood among the buildings. Its right arm was bent, broken at the forearm, and Sasaki cradled the wound.
This article works best I think if you stick it inside the brackets, because Unit Fourteen doesn't need one, by itself.
We've got a work as a team here.
I think you mean 'gotta' or 'got to'

Again, I'm a little short on time, today, so sorry for any curtness on my part.

There was no small stack of papers on my desk—reports, briefings, and the like—but I took one look at them and pushed them as far aside as I could.
I know you mean 'the stack was of no small size', but phrasing it like this reads like 'there was no stack, even small, but I somehow pushed it aside'.

And my my... just what's gotten into Nozomi's head? She's seeing the same visions as Shinji? Great. And Ayanami is watching him every moment, able to respond in an instant if so moved? Weirdness... And yeah, angry Shinji, calm Asuka, and loosing-her-mind Nozomi is weird to see...

Author's Notes: Character Arcs and Themes - General Discussion
Author's Notes: Character arcs and themes - general discussion

For me, because I put a great emphasis on character growth and internal forces, character and story arc design are crucial skills. As a fanfiction author, I don't often get to design whole characters outright, but even for canonical characters, the challenge of building on their canon selves is part of what I enjoy as a writer. Getting to do that from a blank slate is even more rewarding. And because characters are tied very closely to their story arcs in my works, the character design and story arcs influence each other greatly.

For this section, I'll discuss some general principles of character and story arc design that I follow: that the main characters should have independent, but thematically related goals; that if their individual points of view are to be understood, they should be presented as logical and reasonable (though not bullet-proof). Related to these ideas, I'll expand on some of the general themes and ideas of the story and how they influenced the character design and direction of the story.

Many stories start with a cool premise. Here, Seele attacks Shinji out of the blue, and he learns that mankind has been headed toward another war with the Angels while he was trying to live in anonymity. It's literally a cosmic story.

But a story idea is not complete with merely a premise. It needs some theme to tie everything together, to give the story a point to being told. Here, the premise itself betrays some of that direction. These are some of the same themes of Evangelion: about the conflict between safe fantasies and colder, but more rewarding reality.

More broadly, I hoped to expand on the themes of Evangelion, which dealt with many of the frustrations of childhood—of learning sexuality, of attachment to parents, and so on. Instead, The Second Coming is about adulthood: Shinji is responsible for Nozomi the way a parent would be. Asuka, Misato, and Rei all face the long-term consequences of what they're doing for "jobs" versus what makes them happy personally. Nozomi's role is more of a throwback to original Evangelion, with a focus on communication issues and ingrained ideas that children tend to struggle with—what makes one a good person? How does a child know if they're growing up right?

As I've written earlier, I realized partway through writing that the first rule of Evangelion is that everyone hates themselves. Self-loathing and the weight of expectations are what drive people in this continuity toward change (or destruction). The key, then, to a compelling character arc that builds off that principle is to uncover each character's self-hatred or disappointment and use that. I hoped, in the course of this story, to give the characters the tools needed to learn to love themselves again. Doing so for each character makes their struggles personal, but the overarching themes tie all the arcs together into a whole.

For me, it is incredibly important that all the principal characters have something sympathetic about them. There are no complete monsters in my stories. Even the villains have something redeeming about them, or failing that, they exhibit some sort of flaw that we can easily see in ourselves. Put succinctly, I try my hardest to love the characters I write: to understand them and their points of view, even if I do not ultimately agree with them in the end.

Loving Shinji means sympathizing with someone who never asked for attention or fame, who has been asked to do more for the world when he feels deeply uncertain about what he's already done. Loving Asuka means understanding her drive to achieve something great because it makes her feel worthwhile, because it makes her feel like she actually belongs in the world. Loving Misato means agreeing with her perception that not everyone is doing what they should for the sake of mankind, but it doesn't mean agreeing that she must push herself to the edge to make up for that. Loving Nozomi means acknowledging her fears and the weight of expectations on her while also urging her on to confront them instead of hiding from them. Loving Rei means accepting her feelings of responsibility while urging her to be unafraid to indulge her need for connections.

Behind every character, I try to keep in mind a reason for what they're doing. Their goals and ideals inform every gesture and word.

Now, with all the discussion of techniques and ideas over, let's talk about the characters. Each of the next segments will discuss one of the major characters, going into inspirations and goals for the characters and how they are written.

Editing changelog: SV polish edits for 5.2/Straining to Hear

Part 5 - What You Leave Behind: more cleanup of titles (Hyuga is a major), some misc spelling fixes

5.1/Faltering: fixes for @Ranma-sensei/#229. Added a parenthetical reference to Misato's heavy drinking.

5.2/Straining to Hear:
  • General changes: consolidated some paragraphs and removed some wordy phrases, added or tweaked some body language (especially when Shinji visits Nozomi in the infirmary)
  • Sasaki uses a pallet rifle now
  • Shinji points out more of the complexities and moral issues surrounding the use of pilots when he speaks with Misato
  • Separated Shinji's return to his office to a new section
  • Added some narration to introduce Shinji's visit to the infirmary
  • Hikari is more subdued and formal, consistent with prior characterization tweaks to her relationship with Nozomi
  • Worked on Shinji/Nozomi scene here heavily, including many changes to body language and including more downplaying from Nozomi about the nightmare
  • Shinji is now not as clearly enthusiastic about Rei's plans for when she tells him to go outside

second-an: removed some spoilery content from the character themes introduction section

On Thursday: 5.2/Straining to Hear.

The Second Coming ends in 12 weeks.

5.2 Straining to Hear
28. Straining to Hear

They sent Sasaki to Vladivostok right after lunch, and he went toward a battle unlike the ones we'd fought before. The Angels had stopped trying to provide cover for the walkers and their kin. Rather than liquefy major cities, the Angels had targeted military installations and major industrial sites.

Vladivostok Island was one of those sites: a major port in the Russian Far East, it was the main route for Japanese exports to get to Russia and Europe beyond. And of course, the Russians gave us something in return: food.

Vladivostok was vital to us, vital enough to send Sasaki in the afternoon and risk leaving him in Russia overnight if need be, and we needed our best chance to win with him. That meant putting a voice in his ear that he was used to—Asuka. She'd trained him in the backup control room while Nozomi and I worked together, and since she'd run him through the morning exercises, it was a no-brainer. Asuka would be his handler for this mission, and I'd sit beside her to cover another shift or offer advice and support.

Until then, we could only watch and wait.

Something I learned quickly on this job was that the new pilots had to deal with situations I'd never encountered. In this war, there was only one Eva under our control, and so there was only one pilot at any given time. Nozomi couldn't rely on her peers for support, and the same was true for Sasaki. They were competition, and none of the others could really understand.

In this war, the enemy wouldn't come to us, either. The new Angels attacked lands surrounding Japan but never came to our doorstep. That meant hours of isolation and waiting.

That wait could be grueling. Somehow, Nozomi managed to sleep on most of those flights, but Sasaki couldn't. He was wide awake all throughout the plane ride. He'd get out of his seat and swim around the entry plug every now and then, but for the most part, he sat ready to go, even knowing there were hours before he might see action.

On occasion, he would talk to us. "What is it like?" he asked us at one point.

Asuka and I looked at each other, both of us shrugging, and she replied, "It's not like anything else. You're one with the beast, right? You feel what it feels. It's beautiful. It's terrifying. It's painful. But, if you do it right, it's also amazing."

Sasaki looked straight ahead, sighing, and said, "That's not likely for me, though."

"Not with that attitude it's not!" said Asuka, scoffing.

Sasaki took one look at the camera, said nothing, and glanced forward again, looking about as cheerful as a monk at a funeral.

I got on the microphone. "Sasaki," I said, putting on a smile, "you've trained for this. You know how this works. You can do it, and we'll be watching over you. Just listen to Asuka and trust in yourself."

"I'll try," he said, still looking ahead.

That was the best I could get out of him.

Once Sasaki arrived over Vladivostok, he landed in a cargo storage area for the port. Two Angels were already destroying the harbor facilities: the Mist Angel's tendrils corroded the port's machinery while a new Angel—a four-legged beast with an eyeless face and wide, downturned jawline--devoured shipping containers like a wolf gorging itself on a carcass.

Russian forces were on the scene to help us out. They planted explosives throughout the maze of shipping containers. From the harbor, a Russian destroyer fired shells into the port, harassing the Angels from afar.

Beyond that, it was up to Sasaki to kill the Angels. He surveyed the landscape—one of narrow walkways between stacks of shipping containers—and asked,

"Okay, what do I do here? What's the plan?"

Asuka and I pored over an overhead view. The Quadruped Angel hid behind a wall of containers, shielded from ship-based fire.

Asuka got on the radio. "Ahead, and then left," she said. "Stop at the corner after that, and we'll blow a placed charge to confuse it."

Unit-14 crept around a wall of containers, but its steps rattled the whole loading area. "Right here?" asked Sasaki. "Is that right?"

"Perfect," said Asuka. "Now just sit right there, and—"

BANG! Metal twisted and tore, and a series of smaller thuds rattled the port.

"What was that?" demanded Sasaki, hands clenched around the controls.

On the overhead view, the Quadruped Angel burst through a wall of containers, ripping through the metal like it was wet paper. A line of destruction trailed from the Angel, pointing straight to Unit-14's position.

"Sasaki," said Asuka, "target's coming to you, on your left."

Sasaki nodded and gulped. "Are you going to blow a charge?"

Asuka looked to Hyuga, who got on his headset in turn. "Liaison, we need our distraction in a different spot."

"Standby, Sasaki," said Asuka. "We're trying to get the Russians to change it now."

BANG! Another wall of containers crumpled. "Yah!" cried Sasaki, and he recoiled in his seat, but he took two deep breaths and steadied himself. "Just, um, let me know when you know, then!"

Asuka took her finger off the transmit switch and glanced at me. "What do you know?" she said with a smile. "He's learning."

I nodded. "You're doing a good job holding him together. Keep doing that. Don't let him have time to be afraid or hesitant."

She gave me a faux salute. "Yes, sir, Commander Ikari, sir!" she said.

"Asuka." Hyuga came over with a folder and a map of the port. He pointed out a position on the map. "Russians are going to blow two charges here," he said, "on our signal."

Asuka nodded, and she got on the radio again. "Okay, Sasaki, we've got some charges ready to go. On my count—ready?"

His eyes went wide. "Uh…"

"Three," said Asuka, "two, distraction blast…"

A dull thud rattled the port, and a puff of smoke rose some distance away from Sasaki's position.

"And go!" cried Asuka.

Sasaki clenched his jaw, and he pushed forward on the controls. Unit-14 drew a pallet rifle and lowered its shoulder. It barreled through the wall of shipping containers and came out firing: it blasted the Quadruped with a volley of pallet rifle rounds. The Angel's AT field held, but the beast turned tail and scampered around a short wall of stacked containers.

"You've got it," said Asuka. "Get your knife, and let's see if we can corner it for the engine."

A prog knife popped out of the Eva's right shoulder pylon, and Unit-14 attached the knife to the pallet rifle's barrel, using it as a makeshift bayonet. Unit-14 pressed forward like a hunter cornering prey. It backed the Quadruped Angel into a short, enclosed space, surrounded by containers on all sides.

But the Quadruped—its skin shifty and shimmering—crouched down and bit through the short wall of containers. It burst through the hole and scampered away.

It had help, too: as Sasaki gave chase, the Mist Angel harassed him. Its corrosive tendrils cut through shipping containers effortlessly, spilling thousands of ball bearings about the port grounds. Sasaki slashed at the Mist's tendrils, but his slices came up with empty air.

I nudged Asuka's arm, and she nodded without looking at me.

"Don't get sidetracked," she said over the radio. "That thing can't hurt you as badly as the other one."

"Okay, okay," said Sasaki, "but—"

"But what?"

"Where did it go?"

Asuka looked back at the second monitor, where the overhead feed was, but the Quadruped Angel was gone. There was a trail of wreckage leading to another wall of containers, but that was all.

"Stand by for engine activation," said Asuka, rising. Her eyes darted across the projector screens and her monitor. Her jaw clenched. "When we have visual on the target," she said, "you're on."

The port grounds rattled; that Angel had to be around somewhere, but for all we knew, it was invisible. The control room didn't like that one bit: it was our job to know everything that was going on at any given time.

"Where's our target?" Hyuga called out, and he went over to the detection controller. "Infrared?"

The rightmost panel on the front screen switched to a grayscale image. From a high-altitude plane, an infrared camera panned over the port from above, with only intermittent cloud cover blocking the view. Still, even that didn't tell us very much: both the Mist Angel and Unit-14 were blinding white glows, and by comparison, each of the metal shipping containers was totally opaque.

But one place did catch my eye: within the wall of containers, there was a hot spot—something far warmer than anything else in the area.

And that hot spot was on its way to Sasaki.

Asuka jammed the transmit button on her headset. "Sasaki, your five o'clock! In the containers!"

Unit-14 turned, and—

Ka-TCHEW! The Quadruped burst through; it chomped on Unit-14's right arm, and the pair tumbled toward water. Containers fell off their stacks and rolled near ships in port, with some of them splashing down mere meters from ships' hulls.

Unit-14 and the Quadruped thrashed about, dodging cargo cranes as they fought. The Quadruped Angel kept Unit-14's right arm firm in its maw, but Sasaki punched and kicked against it in a vain attempt to break free.

'I'm gonna use the engine!" cried Sasaki, cradling his arm next to his chest.

"Do it!" said Asuka.

He reached over with his left hand and flipped the toggle on the right control lever. The Eva tossed its pallet rifle aside, and Sasaki guided Unit-14's left hand into an AT-field-shattering jab!

The punch smashed the Quadruped's face in, sparking a cascade of color throughout the creature's skin. The beast staggered, and it fled down the pier, making for firmer ground.

But Sasaki gave chase. As the creature wove between cargo cranes, Unit-14 barreled through them, wrecking the machinery. Lifting arms snapped and fell to the dock.

"Careful!" cried Asuka. "You're making a mess!"

"It's too fast!" said Sasaki, leaning his body back and forth as the Eva ran. "I can't keep up with it!"

CRUNCH! A crane toppled to the sea, scraping against the side of an oil tanker. Black goo squirted from the gash in the hull, and a small crew of sailors scrambled to the railing to assess the damage.

At that, Misato rose from her station, having been quiet thus far. "Ops," she said, "is that Angel wounded enough that we can leave it be, for now?"

Major Hyuga watched the Quadruped flee on the central projection screen. "It may be," he said. "We'll have to keep an eye on it."

"Do that," said Misato. "For now, I think we have a threat to the harbor that goes beyond Angels. Do you agree?"

"I do."

"Let's take care of it, then."

Hyuga nodded, and he went to Asuka. "Let's get him to help out with the spill," he said. "We'll keep an eye on the Angels from here."

Asuka let out a breath, shaking her head, but she relayed the instructions to Sasaki faithfully. Sasaki helped the tanker's crew contain the growing disaster—the disaster he had caused.

And for my part, I sat there, waiting in case I was needed, under Misato's impassive gaze.

Sasaki and Unit-14 stayed on site for the spill cleanup, ensuring the harbor would stay clear and that the Angels could do no more to the city without Unit-14 responding. When the Angels fled for the night, we had Sasaki recalled back to Japan.

Just because the operation was over didn't mean it was forgotten, though. Bright and early the next morning, I got a phone call in my quarters:

"The general would like to see you both at 0800," said the voice on the phone.

Misato's requests are never refused on her base. Asuka and I reported to Misato's office, along with Hyuga. The general's office was a little more hospitable than the last time I'd been there: a photo of us on an aircraft carrier decorated one corner of her desk, and the microwave in the back was gone.

Even so, Misato was armed with a stack of folders for evidence, all leading to one inescapable conclusion: she plopped down a folder with Sasaki's dossier and said,

"This kid is not ready." She looked between the three of us. "Why isn't he ready?"

"His synch ratio, for starters," said Hyuga.

"Out of our control," said Misato, steepling her fingers. "He may never have the feel that Nozomi has, but he should be prepared nonetheless." Her gaze fixed on me. "Why isn't he prepared? He seems about the same as he was when Hyuga and I were training him ourselves."

"I—" I looked aside for a moment. "Look, he's erratic. He doesn't listen consistently. I haven't figured out how to keep him steady yet, but we've been working with him!"

"Have you?" asked Misato, raising an eyebrow. "How was he at exercises yesterday?"

Asuka cleared her throat. "I oversaw most of that."

"You did?"

"I did."

Misato shut a folder. "And where was Shinji for this?"

I sat a little taller in my seat. "I was being short with him; I wasn't in a good state of mind. It wasn't helping him."

"Is that right?" Misato took a long, hard look at me, but after a moment, she sighed and slid the dossier to the edge of her desk. "Well, we're all trying to make the best of this, aren't we? What more do we need to do to get this kid ready?"

On that we were short of ideas. "More training," Hyuga offered, but Misato shook her head.

"We've done the training," she said. "We've been doing it. We can't do more of the same. It needs to be better, smarter."

"He is smart enough," said Asuka. "He doesn't have trouble grasping instructions. He just hesitates sometimes, or he improvises without communicating."

"And in doing so, he ends up spilling half a tanker's worth of oil into Golden Horn Bay." Misato tapped her temple. "That's up here, isn't it?" She looked to Major Hyuga. "Talk to his therapist; figure out what we can do to build his confidence. Maybe dial back his exercises a bit; make sure he can get good, successful repetitions. Then turn up the difficulty."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good. I'd like Shinji to stay a moment; Hyuga and Asuka, you're dismissed."

My mouth hung open, but I was in no position to protest. Asuka touched a hand to my shoulder as she left, and I nodded in acknowledgement, and the two of them left us alone.

Misato closed the folder in front of her, and she put on a motherly smile. "So!" she said, her voice going up a few pitches. "A little short with Kazuto, huh—that what you said?"

"Mm," I said, nodding. "Like I said, I wasn't in a great state of mind at the time."

"Is it about Nozomi?"

"Yeah." I sat back, staring at the ceiling. "One day she's fine, and the next—basically out of her mind."

Misato smiled sadly. "That's the cost of Eva."

"And we're doing it again." I rubbed the back of my neck and turned my head left and right, trying to work out a kink that just wouldn't go away. "We did it to Nozomi, and now we're doing it to Sasaki. Where does it end?"

Misato sighed, and she leaned forward, catching my gaze. "We ask a lot of them," she said seriously. "Maybe the only good thing right now is that Kazuto can take some of the load for Nozomi. She doesn't have to suffer all of it, and she doesn't have to suffer alone, either."

"I hope that's worth it," I said.

"Me too." Misato looked downcast for a moment, but she shook the dour mood off with a clap of her hands. "Hey, look on the bright side."

"What bright side is that?"

"At least it's not you and Asuka trying to raise three pilots at the same time?"

I laughed, caught off guard more than anything. "With Asuka—can you imagine?"

Misato smiled, and she reached across the desk to take my hand. "It's good you can laugh," she said. "It means you're still here."

"I'm doing what I can," I said.

"I know." Her gaze turned serious, and her hold on my hand tightened. "But Shinji: you don't have to do too much. Nozomi is in good hands. There are other pilots—other people who can shoulder the burden, and they do need you."

I frowned, and I leaned forward, too, hands folded in each other. "Misato," I said, "This isn't just about pilots. Was I just a pilot to you, back then?"

She smiled to herself, and she shook her head.

"That's why I want to see her get well," I said. "It's important to me."

"I'd like to see that, too, but we do need you here. We need you with Sasaki. Asuka is still learning. You have things to teach both of them. We still have to get through all of this. You understand?"

I nodded. "That's why there are exercises scheduled in an hour."

"Bright and early," said Misato, and she let me go. She leaned back in her chair with a yawn. "Good man. Now, get something to eat, hm?"

I rose, but I left her with one last comment:

"I like this photo," I said, taking the picture frame from the corner of her desk. "Did you have it just lying around somewhere?"

"Oh heavens no," she said, shaking her head in exasperation. "You wouldn't believe what kind of digging it took to find that. Two years out, and everything is still a mess."

"But you found it." I put the photo of us—Asuka, Toji, Kensuke, Kaji, Misato, and me, all on the edge of the aircraft carrier—back on the corner of Misato's desk. "I might like one for myself. It's nice."

Misato smiled at that, and she touched the corner of the picture frame, turning the photo toward her slightly. "I think so, too."

After a short breakfast, I headed back toward my office. There was some preparation I wanted to do before training Sasaki that morning. I laid out all of Sasaki's documentation—his personal dossier, reports from his therapist, and even interviews with his teachers in middle school. All of this described a person who was intelligent and capable of piloting an Eva, but he was also timid, moody, and occasionally combative.

Now, you tell me: how do you make that into a good pilot? How do you mold that into something that won't break down under pressure?

I sat staring over the papers for some time, trying to answer that very question, but as I sifted through those reports and records, searching for some nugget of inspiration, the office phone rang.

"Hello, Ikari here."

"It's me."

Horaki.

"I just heard from the infirmary," she said. "Nozomi's awake. Would you—do you want to see her?"

I let the handset drop a little from my ear, and I stared over the mess of papers on my desk. I had a boy's whole life scattered over that desk, staring back at me in black and white type. You'd think that would come with a little understanding. Maybe it did, but that would be like understanding the instructions to building a computer. I might've been able to understand the individual words and phrases, but if I wanted to change the thing—improve upon it, make it better—that was another matter entirely.

"Ikari?" asked the voice on the phone.

"Sorry," I said, "I was just thinking about something."

"Oh, I see. Well, about Nozomi—"

"I'm on my way."

"Okay, see you soon."

I hung up, and I shuffled all the papers on my desk into a single pile.

When the folders and paper edges were aligned, I pulled out another set of papers from the drawer—sketches of the movie theater—and headed out the door.

The thing that unsettles me most about hospitals is when a person wakes up.

Waking up in a hospital changes people. It's like a piece of the soul escapes during treatment. Maybe the surgeons cut it out by mistake. Maybe it gets filtered out during dialysis. Either way, people don't wake up the same as they were before. I'd seen it many times: in Ayanami, in Asuka, and in myself. Sitting at someone's bedside, you never know what person is going to wake up.

So, when I saw Nozomi up and drawing in the infirmary, I let myself be relieved. Art and Nozomi were inseparable. If that had changed, I truly wouldn't have known her.

Nozomi was sitting up halfway in her bed and drew on the back of a food tray. Everything else going on around her was mere distraction. I watched her from around the edge of the privacy curtain, but Nozomi caught me peeking.

"Ikari." She didn't even raise her eyes, but somehow, she knew.

Well, there was no point in being sneaky after that. I stepped inside. "You're feeling better."

She shrugged. "Pretty sure if I were feeling worse, I'd be dead, right? So I should hope so."

I gawked at her, but Nozomi cracked a small smile.

"Relax, Ikari," she said, laughing softly to herself. "I still feel like ass, but I'm here. I'm doing better—not perfect, but better."

She wasn't wrong. There was an edge to her efforts to draw: she focused on the back of the lunch tray quite intently, following the drawn lines with her eyes. It was as though the whole sketch might disappear if she looked away from it.

But she was still there, holding on to something in her mind and refusing to let it go.

I glanced through the gap in the curtain, meeting Horaki's gaze, and I gave her a nod. "That's good to hear—that you're feeling better," I said, not looking at Nozomi. "You know, now that you're awake, you have to deal with a parade of visitors. It's one of the perks of being ill."

"A 'perk,' huh?" she quipped.

Horaki came forward, and at the sound of footsteps, Nozomi's pencil stopped moving.

"Who's that?" she asked, peering around me. "Hikari?"

Horaki came up next to me, showing a sheepish smile. "Got it in one," she said. "Can't get something like that past you, can we, Nozomi?"

Nozomi sat up a little straighter, and she put the drawing pencil into the lip of the tray. "Hey," she said. "You got down here fast. I haven't been awake that long."

"I've been here since yesterday," Horaki explained. "Ikari was nice enough to arrange that."

Nozomi's eyes flickered to me. "So this is your doing, huh?"

I shrugged and laughed. "Guilty as charged."

Nozomi didn't laugh. She just looked back at Horaki for a time—a few seconds of abject silence.

"So," she said at last, "how's Kodama?"

"Fine, fine. I talked to her last night. Left some food for her so she wouldn't starve." Horaki laughed. "Things are busy at work. I think that helps her, though."

"If there's nothing you can do, it not so bad to be busy."

"Yes, I think so, too."

Silence again. Nozomi's stare was fixed on her sister—expectant, penetrating. It asked if Horaki were finished or if there were more she had to listen to.

Horaki looked to me, and I nodded again—just once. Horaki closed her right hand into a fist, and she asked,

"How are you feeling, Nozomi?"

"Me?" Nozomi looked to the ceiling idly before refocusing on us. "I'm hanging in there. Bad dreams. Those things get into your head. It's all expected, though. They're gonna give me nice drugs. That should help."

"That's good. You can come home for a few days, if you like—while you're on the mend, at least."

"Maybe. I'll think about it."

Horaki stiffened, but her tone didn't falter. "Whatever you decide, you should take care of yourself, Nozomi. Ikari and General Katsuragi need you in good shape. I'm sure Ikari would be happy to take care of anything you need. Isn't that right, Ikari?"

I nodded. "I'd do my absolute best."

"And if there's something he can't do," Horaki went on, "Sister and I would do our best as well."

Nozomi looked away, studying her sketch. "Yeah, I know that," she said. "Thanks, Hikari. Thank Kodama for me, too."

Horaki nodded, and she leaned to the left. With her weight on one leg, she hovered for a moment. A few more steps would've put her in Nozomi's gaze, but Horaki didn't follow through. She evened out her footing, and she smiled briefly. "Well, I can't stay," Horaki explained, "and I know you have work to do. I'll be back in a day or two to bring some things and visit, though."

Nozomi nodded at that. "Okay."

With that, I escorted Horaki out—past the blue curtain, past the head corpsman's desk and into the off-white hallway, overrun with pipes and valves.

Horaki stopped at the corner and let out a heavy sigh. "What do you think? Was that enough for you?"

She didn't face me, but even so, I nodded—on reflex more than anything. "I think so—maybe," I said.

Horaki glanced over her shoulder at me, and she smiled—for real, this time, though she was no happier for it. "I hope so," she said. "Good luck."

"You're okay getting out on your own?"

"Yes, I'll be fine. Let me know what happens, all right?"

"I will, absolutely."

"Thanks." She started down the corridor, but she called back over her shoulder. "I'll tell Asuka to do you a favor for me!"

She'll tell you to do it yourself, I thought, but I didn't say it. Sometimes it's better not to question the thanks people would give you, after all.

And besides—Horaki seemed genuinely happy at the idea, at least for the moment.

I let Horaki go, and I turned around to head back into the infirmary. I took the manilla folder out from under my arm, and I paged through the contents one last time. Nozomi's sketches of the theater flashed before my eyes like still frames from an animated film. I flipped through them all once more, and I went back inside.

Nozomi's curtain was still drawn partway, so she caught my footsteps as soon as I was a meter in the door.

"Forget something?" she called out.

I huffed at that, but I didn't answer until I was closer. I made it back to her bedside, and I pulled up a chair from next to the bank of instruments and sensors. I sat down at her side, folder closed in my lap.

"No," I said, "there's just some stuff I didn't get to say."

"Yeah? What about?"

I sighed, and I glanced to the ceiling. The tiles there weren't unique in any way. Perhaps each one was subtly different, sporting distinctive patterns of black speckle, but those patterns didn't matter in any way. One may as well have been the same as any other. At best, you might get used to a particular pattern above you—when you sleep in quarters you call your own, for instance.

I looked to that ceiling, then back to Nozomi, and I opened the folder.

"We went through your room," I said. "We found the drawings."

Nozomi glanced at the stack of drawings, and she turned slightly aside. "You did, did you? So? What about them?"

I showed her the top sheet from the folder: the sketch of the stranger sitting in the front row of the theater, facing back at the page—staring without eyes.

"I've seen this person before," I said.

"Really?" Nozomi faced me again, and she moved over in the bed, coming closer to me. "Who is it?"

"I don't know, but I've seen that person—and the movie theater and Ayanami. I see her in my dreams whenever she wishes to speak to me. This?" I held up the sheet in front of her. "This is not something that just came up in your mind. This is something she brought you to. This is something she put inside you. It's not a coincidence."

Nozomi took the sketch in hand, studying it up and down. "So this is just what I've gotta deal with, huh?" She handed the sheet back to me and closed her eyes, as if ready to sleep. "That's not so bad, then. If something wants to keep me up with nightmares, at least I know they're not really mine."

"It rattled you, didn't it?"

"I'm here, right?" She shrugged, even with her eyes closed. "Pretty silly of me to get spooked by something that wasn't real, though. Just gotta learn to deal."

"And what was it that spooked you?"

She opened one eye. "Don't worry about it, Ikari. That thing tried to rattle me. I won't let it. It's fine. Whatever that thing was, it has no power over me."

"Even when she looks like this?" I took out the second sketch, with Horaki in place of the stranger.

Nozomi shut her eyes tight, and she turned her body away. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"That person—that thing—came to me looking like my father once. We were in battle, and she stood in front of my station and talked the way my father would. She used his face and his voice. She said things that I…couldn't handle. That time we dropped a rod on you—you remember that?"

She nodded slightly, even as she faced the bank of sensors and monitors.

"And do you remember," I said, my voice quivering, "that I didn't come back to the base for a while—that someone had to come knocking on my door to get me to face up to what I was afraid of and do the job right?"

Nozomi sighed and turned back around to face me. "Ikari—"

"Nozomi," I butted in, "I've seen how you are with Horaki. There's a wall between you still—a line neither of you will cross. You say it has nothing to do with what happened before, but if so, then what is it? I don't understand; I really don't. And then I see her in your sketches, the way that thing appeared to me like my father, and—"

I shuddered. I wiped my face clean, along with the surface of the folder. You can't get those things wet; they just warp and never recover.

"Ikari, come on." She reached out from under the sheets and caught my wrist, steadying me. "It's not like that. You don't need to get involved in this."

"But I do." I smiled and dabbed the last tear away with my collar. "I don't know much about things, but I've been a pilot. I didn't care for it, but I know you do—for some reason. And if you care about being a pilot, I can't let this be. If what's between you and your sister can get in the way, I shouldn't let it be because I've been there, and it destroyed me." I held back another sob, and I ran my fingers through my hair, shaking my head. "It destroyed half the world, Nozomi. I don't want to see that happen again."

"Ikari…" She let go of my wrist and shook her head, staring at the ceiling. She laughed bitterly. "We're not the same," she said at last. "We're really not. You were a pilot once, and I am now, but we're not the same."

"Why not?"

"With you and your father, you tried to live up to what you thought he wanted, right? You tried to be someone he could love, right? You didn't do anything wrong. You didn't do anything wrong to him, did you?"

I leaned forward, trying to catch her eye. "What—what are you saying?"

She met my gaze then, and there was something…different about her in that moment. There was usually something very casual about Nozomi: something indifferent, even flippant, sometimes. Perhaps the only time I'd seen her emotional—before this whole thing, anyway—was when she'd come to my penthouse and given me a talking-to. Even then, her anger carried more than a tinge of disbelief and disappointment, but she never let that get to her in a personal way—in a way that showed real hurt or pain.

But as she looked back at me from her hospital bed, I saw something quite different in her. I saw something more like the manic, disoriented girl who'd drawn over everything in her quarters. Those two big, dark eyes of hers had a little more shine to them than I'd come to expect, and she said,

"Ikari, what kind of person do you think I am?"

"You are—you are…" I fumbled for words. "You're…far braver than I ever could be. That much I know."

She scoffed, shaking her head. "You think I'm brave?"

"You don't even batt an eye doing it," I said, gaping. "You—"

"Come on. You of all people should understand."

"Understand what?"

She stared at the ceiling—her expression blank, as though someone had taken all the emotion inside her and crushed it in a black hole.

"It's not bravery if you don't really care what happens to you," she said.

I sat there, with the folder quivering in my hands and my mouth open. Nozomi's pulse—as the EKG machine announced it with rhythmic beeps—was totally steady. How different it would've sounded if it had been hooked up to me.

I got up from the cold metal chair, and I walked out. I went out straight away, and I made for the nearest washroom. I put the folder on top of a hand dryer, but it was unstable and fell over, scattering the sketches on the tile floor. I didn't bother to pick them up.

I just looked in the mirror. I looked at my face—a face that was looking more and more, every day, like my father's.

I ran the sink for cold water, and I splashed some over my face. Anything to wash that sight away. Anything to wash those feelings away.

"You're wasting time here."

The only thing cooler than that water was the steady voice of Rei Ayanami.

She appeared before me in the mirror, with her red eyes sharp and focused—squarely on me.

"You should be working with someone who can pilot right now," she said.

"And just leave her behind?" I scoffed. "No way."

"Who are you trying to help?"

"Her, me, everyone!" I beat my fist on my chest. "We all need help!"

"You can't do that," said Ayanami. "That's not something anyone can do. You have to choose. What is most important to you?"

I buried my face in my hands, hiding in the last droplets of cold water. "Lots of things are important to me, Ayanami. 'Responsibility is a fire that burns inside the heart,' isn't it?" My head snapped upright. I glared at her in the mirror. "What is it you want me to do? How am I supposed to do all this? Tell me!"

Ayanami hesitated before answering. "You—you and General Katsuragi—were destroying all the bonds you had with other people to see this through. I won't ask you to do that, but no one will be left if you fail, Ikari."

"I understand that, but—" I hissed, and I pulled on my hair. "I don't know how to do this."

"I've felt that way before." She took a step closer in the mirror. If she were really there, she would've been just behind me. "I could show you."

"Show me what?" I demanded.

"Go outside," she said, smiling a little. "I'll be waiting for you."

I wiped my face clean, and I stepped over the scattered sketches, making for the door. I turned the handle, and I stepped into a corridor—a corridor far different from Manoah Base, for the ceilings boasted two continuous strips of fluorescent lights, and the hallway itself seemed to be made of interchangeable, rectangular sections.

"Samael."

It was Ayanami's voice, but it was not Ayanami. This person wore a white lacboat—as did the others who followed her, who walked past me: Kaworu, Asuka, Nozomi, Toji, and Horaki.

The seven of us stood in a hallway of Nerv Headquarters.

"Samael," Ayanami said again, "are you coming?"

I swallowed and nodded, and I let Lilith lead the way.

Last edited:
"Thanks." She started down the corridor, but she called back over her shoulder. "I'll tell Asuka to do you a favor for me!"

First time I read this, I thought she said "as a favor from me" and nearly spit out my drink. I was just going, wow that's really forward of her. Then I reread it and realized it was just my overactive imagination. Otherwise, really nice chapter! Gonna learn more about the past now.

First time I read this, I thought she said "as a favor from me" and nearly spit out my drink. I was just going, wow that's really forward of her. Then I reread it and realized it was just my overactive imagination. Otherwise, really nice chapter! Gonna learn more about the past now.

Well, that makes Shinji's remark ("She'll tell you to do it yourself") take on a whole new meaning.

"Ka-TCHEW! The Quadruped burst through; it chomped on Unit-14's right arm, and the pair tumbled toward water. Containers fell off their stacks and rolled near ships in port, with some of them splashing down mere meters from ships' hulls.
The sound effect and " are disordered here.
a photo of us on an aircraft carrier decorated one corner of her desk,
The day you met Asuka. I'm surprised you didn't ask her for a copy, Shinji. I have a photo of my wife from the day we met 13 years ago, and I treasure it.
"At least it's not you and Asuka trying to raise three pilots at the same time?"

I laughed, caught off guard more than anything. "With Asuka—can you imagine?"
....I'd read that fic. It could be Slice of Life, Comedy, drama, or anything in between, depending on what shape Shinji and Asuka, and the new Pilots are in.
I frowned, and I leaned forward, too, hands folded in each other. "Misato," I said, "This isn't just about pilots. Was I just a pilot to you, back then?"
Very cogent point, Misato. Shinji and Asuka weren't just your subordinates. And your failure to maintain that balance back then did a fair amount of damage all on it's own. You could hear Asuka having a breakdown of self-loathing in the bathroom, and all you did was sit there and listen...
I laid out all of Sasaki's documentation—his personal dossier, reports from his therapist, and even interviews with his teachers in middle school. All of this information spoke to a person who was intelligent and capable of piloting an Eva, but he was also timid, moody, and occasionally combative.

Now, you tell me: how do you make that into a good pilot? How do you mold that into something that won't break down under pressure?
Shinji, do I need to buy you a mirror?
The thing I unsettles me most about hospitals is when a person wakes up.
Some error here. 'The thing that unsettles me', maybe?
I just looked in the mirror. I looked at my face—a face that was looking more and more, every day, like my father's.
Oh, nevermind, Rei found you a mirror. You're not your father, Shinji. Asuka would beat your fool head in if you ever started to be. That's yet another reason never to let her go.

Nozomi... you and Shinji need to talk some more about this. And Shinji, you really need to talk to Asuka and possibly Misato after her about these little visions...

But one place did catch my eye: within the wall of containers, there was a hot spot—something far warmer than anything else in the area.
-fie
And that hot spot was on its way to Sasaki.
Something seems wrong with this arrangement, plus that '-fie' is nonsensical to me.
"He may never have the feel that Nozomi has, but he should prepared nonetheless."
I think this should be 'should be prepared'.
All of this information spoke to a person who was intelligent and capable of piloting an Eva, but he was also timid, moody, and occasionally combative.
'to'? Not 'of'? *too little knowledge of all the intricacies of the English language*
This is something she brought you to.
Not sure if this sounds right, in this context.

Did you mean, Lillith/Ayanami brought Nozomi to the theatre, or she brought the imagery of the theatre to her?
"Careful!" cried Asuka. "You're making a mess!"
Umm... *raises finger*

*lowers finger* Never mind....
....I'd read that fic. It could be Slice of Life, Comedy, drama, or anything in between, depending on what shape Shinji and Asuka, and the new Pilots are in.
As would I. It sounds intriguing, at the very least.
Very cogent point, Misato. Shinji and Asuka weren't just your subordinates. And your failure to maintain that balance back then did a fair amount of damage all on it's own. You could hear Asuka having a breakdown of self-loathing in the bathroom, and all you did was sit there and listen...
I'm not too sure we can see her relationship to Asuka in the same light as the one to Shinji.

Anno depicted Misato's relationship to the children in a very Freudian (and oh-so-chlichéd) way: she toggles between mothering Shinji and trying to seduce him, but at the seem time switches between treating Asuka with respect, condescension, and as a rival.

I'm not sure there was any balance at all, ever; and Misato should never raise anything, even only sentient.
Asuka would beat your fool head in if you ever started to be.
Shinji: "If I ever act like my father, please make it quick."

Problem with that whole scenario is that it would probably take the definite, permanent loss of Asuka for him to go down that road - and even then I think he'd rather shrivel up and die than commit to the monstrosities that his father did.

The day you met Asuka. I'm surprised you didn't ask her for a copy, Shinji. I have a photo of my wife from the day we met 13 years ago, and I treasure it.

Great point. That's gonna get edited in.

An idea for the stockpile. More of an adult Shinji and Asuka doing this would have a more assured vibe, I imagine.

Not sure if this sounds right, in this context.

Did you mean, Lillith/Ayanami brought Nozomi to the theatre, or she brought the imagery of the theatre to her?

More the former, but of course, it's not Rei that took Nozomi anywhere. (There's also the possibility of using "took" instead of "brought" for clarity. The difference between them is somewhat pedantic more than practical, however.)

I'm not too sure we can see her relationship to Asuka in the same light as the one to Shinji.

Anno depicted Misato's relationship to the children in a very Freudian (and oh-so-chlichéd) way: she toggles between mothering Shinji and trying to seduce him, but at the seem time switches between treating Asuka with respect, condescension, and as a rival.

I'm not sure there was any balance at all, ever; and Misato should never raise anything, even only sentient.

I read that blog post going into Misato's dynamics with Asuka and Shinji and I have to agree to an extent. Here, I think Misato's relationship with Asuka is somewhat different. She made a point of trying to support Asuka by giving her an opportunity to learn Shinji's job, an opportunity to contribute meaningfully while also being forced to work more as part of a team. I think the dimension of Misato seeing a lot of herself in Asuka is a great reasoning for that, but I haven't felt like there's sufficient space to go into that more (we're tied to Shinji's perspective, after all).

'to'? Not 'of'? *too little knowledge of all the intricacies of the English language*

The construction is a bit unusual. I'd consider "speak" here as interchangeable with "attest," which definitely wold use "to" in this case. I'll probably restructure the whole sentence, though.

Editing changelog: SV polish edits for 5.3/Progenitors II

5.2/Straining to Hear:
  • Fixes for issues by @Strypgia/#240. Shinji now comments that he'd like a copy of the photo Misato has on her desk.
  • Fixes for issues by @Ranma-sensei/#241. Phrase "spoke to" is now merely "described".

5.3/Progenitors II:
  • Greatly reworked the opening paragraphs. Shinji now comments on the differences between Rei and Lilith.
  • Minor wording changes throughout
  • More emphasis on "Horaki's" name
  • Rei now asks Shinji to believe in what she's doing, and Shinji echoes this to Sasaki

Tomorrow: 5.3/Progenitors II.

The Second Coming ends in 11 weeks.

5.3 Progenitors II
29. Progenitors II

Throughout the story I've told so far, I've talked about Ayanami even though that name is a fiction. She was a person created from salvaged DNA and a borrowed soul. Few other people bothered using that name. To everyone else in the world, she was Lilith.

I didn't know Lilith, though. How much that person who appeared to me was Lilith versus Ayanami I couldn't know. Even the ghost who appeared to me was different from the woman in the past—the one in the false vision Ayanami showed me. In the past, she was idealistic, full of drive and compassion. The ghost I'd come to know wasn't so loud about her intentions. If the past version of her was a bright and boisterous flame, the ghost in the present was more of a steady ember.

I didn't know what Ayanami meant to show me with this second vision of the past, but whatever she intended, there was something else I wanted to learn, too. Lilith wasn't the only person there, after all. I was in the company of Adam, too, and the others—the ones who looked at me with the faces of Asuka, Toji, Nozomi, and Horaki, as well as "Samael," whose role I played in this fantasy. The seven of us formed the core of the plot to save their people.

The seven of us walked down one of the corridors in "Nerv Headquarters." The halls were lit by only red emergency lighting. Our footsteps and chatter between us were the only sounds that could be heard.

"Samael." The one with Horaki's face called to me, and I hesitated when she fell into step beside me. She had the gentle look of Horaki—when Horaki could be kind instead of demanding, at least. It wasn't a look that fit her. Someone like her shouldn't have looked so kind.

"What's the matter?" she said, frowning. "Did I startle you?"

I looked ahead and stared steadfastly at the end of the hallway. "No, sorry. Just have some things on my mind."

"I thought so," said the thing with Horaki's face. "You've been very quiet lately. Anything specific?"

"Ah, no," I said, laughing nervously. "I guess it's just the totality of it all—everything we're doing. It's a lot to think about."

"It is, isn't it." The thing with Horaki's face looked forward with a distant stare. "Perhaps I should cross you off the list of people I'm worried about, then."

"Why's that?"

She jerked her head forward, where Kaworu was talking with an animated Asuka and Toji. "So you put in a failsafe," Asuka said confidently, "just in case there's any navigational error. That shouldn't be difficult."

Horaki didn't like what she was hearing with that. She shook her head, saying to me, "I'd rather not assume anything is simple at this stage."

"Do you—do you think something might go wrong?" I asked.

"Not in so many words. But it'll be a real pity if we go through all this…" She opened her arms, gesturing to the facility around us. "If we go through all this and accomplish nothing, then what's the point?"

Yeah, what was the point? Why would she want to go through all of this just to see it dismantled and destroyed?

"That's why you have a list?" I asked. "Trying to make sure nothing's wrong before we commit to the plan?"

"That's right, and if you're just trying to weigh the enormity of all this, that's fine." She nodded ahead. "I think someone's got a bit more on her mind than that, though."

Ayanami walked in the middle of the pack, between us and Kaworu's group. She was isolated despite being at the center of us.

"Why's that?" I asked.

Horaki looked at me quizzically. "Because of the contact experiment?"

Up ahead, I saw an elevator with a grated door. There was only one such elevator in all of Nerv Headquarters—-only one elevator that went all the way to the very bowels of the facility: the one that led to Terminal Dogma.

"Oh, of course!" I said, slapping the side of my head. "Of course."

Horaki eyed me from the side, but she said nothing more. Her concern and confusion were unsettling. It was strange to be in the position of knowing something she didn't.

The seven of us filed into the elevator with the grated door. The others—Nozomi and Toji, mainly—kept talking throughout, mostly about extracting the souls of their people for the plan. Nozomi felt it had to be done en masse. "Give no one any chance to complain"—that was the way she put it.

But I didn't pay them too much mind, for the scene around us was far more distracting. As we descended, the bowels of the Geofront raced past—innumerable levels and layers of machinery, of discarded rock and flesh.

That was the worst part: the flesh. In some levels of the Geofront, there was material that had once lived—or that was still alive in some way. We felt waves of humidity as we passed those levels, and the walls themselves radiated warmth.

After a few levels of that, I decided not to look outside; I watched Ayanami instead. While the others talked and discussed their plans, Ayanami was silent. She stared outside, as stoic as ever. She stood at the front-left corner of the elevator, where she didn't have to meet anyone's gaze. She stayed that way even once we reached bottom.

The end of the shaft led to cavernous structure. There was a lake of LCL on one side of the chamber, and a few in the group went to the fluid's edge to take samples, but Ayanami went off by herself. She approached a red cross, on which a white creature hung. The beast had rolling, blubbery flesh, and it wore a purple mask over its face. The mask had holes for seven lifeless eyes. Ayanami craned her neck, looking upward at the creature—which did not move, nor did it acknowledge her in any way. It stared lazily across the cavern, and each eye blinked independently of the others.

"All right, then." Kaworu clapped his hands and rubbed them together, and the sound echoed through the cavern. "Let's get started, shall we?"

With that, the others went to work. There was a small control room built into the wall of the cavern, and Nozomi and Toji headed there, sitting down to watch some monitors. Kaworu and Asuka lugged out boxes of cables and other devices, and the two of them attached sensors to the creature's body. Horaki worked on some cameras, setting up tripods at various positions and distances. I did my best to pretend to be useful, carrying tripods out to where Horaki told me, but it was difficult to play the role: at one point, Horaki just looked at me and said, "We just went over this last night. Ten, twenty, and forty meters, right?"

I smiled and nodded, saying I was a little distracted. That wasn't all wrong, either, for once we started on the second set of cameras, Ayanami closed her eyes, bowed her head, and walked away from the giant.

"Lilith?" Horaki spotted it, too. "Where are you going?" she called out.

"Around," said Ayanami. "You guys need some more time, right?"

"Maybe twenty minutes," said Kaworu, who attached another sensor pad to the giant from atop a ladder. "Check back in then, all right?"

Ayanami waved a hand in acknowledgement, but she said nothing more and kept walking.

I set up another tripod, but I fumbled with putting out the legs. I wasn't looking at the floor. I was watching Ayanami's every step.

"Samael." That was the thing with Horaki's face again. "What do you think about that?" The eyes that looked like Horaki's followed Ayanami as well.

"I think," I said after a time, "I'm not sure if she should be alone right now."

Looking stone-faced, Horaki said, "No. Let's go."

"Go?"

At that, Horaki flashed a coy smile. "You're not helping me much here, are you?"

I laughed nervously, and I bowed my head in understanding. Horaki led the way, and we followed in Ayanami's tracks.

Ayanami had headed down a series of tunnels. These passages were hexagonal in shape, and their intersections were unusual—three-way junctions at 120-degree angles.

These were the guts of the Geofront. The whole area hummed with the sounds of machinery—fans, pumps, and the like. Despite all that noise, Ayanami's footsteps echoed. Her strides were steady and even, and thanks to that, we were able to keep up with her.

Horaki and I dared not exchange words. She pressed a finger to her lips at one point—what a childish gesture; did she think she could fool me?—but our footsteps could still be heard. If Ayanami recognized we were following her, she didn't seem to care. As long as Horaki and I didn't say a word, we could all pretend Ayanami was alone, with only the echoes of footsteps to accompany her. Perhaps the illusion of being alone was all she wanted.

That illusion couldn't hold forever. Ayanami's trail came to a halt as she reached a dead end. Horaki and I followed her to an airlock. Horaki slid open a control panel, and she navigated a computer-controlled input system with one hand. After a few touches, the door opened, leading to another chamber with more controls, as well as a series of symbols I didn't understand—dots and lines that gave an impression of writing or numbers, but they were gibberish to me.

The door behind us shut, and Horaki started working the controls within the chamber, opening the second door, which lead to a void. Ayanami was there—-half in light, half in shadow. The light shined on from the outside, showing a rough, irregular rock face with some glittering specks in the stone. Ayanami sat at the airlock's edge, with her legs dangling off the side. She looked over her shoulder at us.

"You want to sit?" she asked.

Horaki scoffed, even as she sat down next to Ayanami. "You're playing with your life here," she said. "but I take it you've been here before?"

Ayanami nodded. "I've come down here a few times," she explained. "There's not that much difference between what we've built here and the rock face outside—just a meter or two, right? Just this strut separates them."

Ayanami tapped her foot on a thick metallic shaft that extended from below the airlock door to the rock face, ending in a triangular pad.

"And yet," she went on, "we designed this thing to last billions and billions of years. Even when the world is gone, what we've built here will still exist. Amazing, isn't it?" She glanced over her shoulder again. "Don't you think so, Samael?"

"Amazing," I said, standing behind her and Horaki. "Amazing and a little frightening."

"Frightening, yes." Ayanami kicked her feet back and forth. "It's more than a little frightening. I'm glad someone else sees it that way."

"We all know this is a tremendous responsibility," said Horaki, who leaned forward to catch Ayanami's eye. "It's bound to be frightening."

Ayanami laughed. "Agrat doesn't think so. Never mind Adam. I think he likes that part of this." She frowned. "I heard the two of them talking about a microwave background experiment that required fifteen billion years to carry out. They talk about it like it's nothing."

"This is a big deal," said Horaki.

"A huge deal," said Ayanami.

"A gigantic deal."

"An enormous deal."

"A gargantuan deal."

Horaki and Ayanami stopped, and they looked at each other. Ayanami burst out laughing. " 'Gargantuan'? Really?"

Horaki scowled in mock anger. How bizarre. They were treating each other like dear friends. Why on earth?

And yet, to Ayanami, that sentiment was real enough. Her expression was something I had seldom seen from her. She was awash with laughter, but her gaze was still distant and yearning, desperate for relief.

Ayanami wiped her eye, and Horaki took her hand.

"Do you want to go through with this?" asked Horaki.

"What?" Ayanami blinked. "What do you mean?"

"It's a lot to ask of anyone," said Horaki. "Why put yourself through that? The six of us could handle it." Horaki looked to me. "We're up for it, right, Samael?"

"If, uh…" I pulled on my collar. "If Lilith wants to stay behind, I'm sure we could make it work."

I climbed down and sat between the girls. I kicked my legs in the cavernous void beneath us and frowned. As much as I'd been unnerved by this thing with Horaki's face, no doubt Ayanami—the Ayanami I knew, back in my place and my time—had something else in mind for me to consider.

I leaned forward, catching Ayanami's gaze. "It has to be something you want to do, right?"

"That's true." Ayanami rose. She held on to the edge of the doorway, and she stepped out, into the dark.

"Lilith!" cried Horaki.

"Relax." She took two steps onto the support strut and shot us a disapproving look. "I'm fine."

Even so, I peered around her to watch her footing, but she stepped confidently across a metal strut—a beam that stuck out from the Geofront's surface into the surrounding rock. She walked the beam with the ease and skill of a gymnast. With one foot in front of the other, she stopped at the end of the strut, and she felt the rough face of the rock outside.

"Have you ever touched the ground and just felt it, Eisheth? Samael?" she asked.

Eisheth. Yes, that's right. That was her name. She'd said it before, at the presentation. Her name was Eisheth.

The thing with Horaki's face—Eisheth—looked like she was going to have a heart attack. Wincing, I said,"I don't think so, no."

"The earth has a heartbeat," said Ayanami. "It pulses because stuff flows inside of it: liquid rock circulates through the mantle, bringing heat from the core. That sustains volcanoes and fuels the magnetic field."

"Even that would slow and stop with time," said Horaki, rising to her feet. "Now get back here!"

Ayanami waved a hand at her like a headstrong child. "It might," she said,"but until then, you can still feel it. You can feel the warmth in the ground. It's still alive, in a way. We're all alive. We're connected that way."

"Connected?" I said.

"Yes, connected: bound together by what keeps us going, by what keeps us alive." She smiled at that, and she rubbed her fingers on the rock face. "I have no doubts about what I'm doing here. I know it's scary; I know it's frightening, but we're all going through it together, and we won't be alone, will we?"

I opened my mouth. My head titled, and I shot her a quizzical look. Horaki had a more composed answer:

"No," said Horaki. "Not alone. Even if it takes us a little while to meet again, we will not be alone. We're doing this together."

Ayanami nodded at that, smiling, but her expression turned pained again as she rubbed a hand on the rock face. "Still," she said, "I'm going to miss stuff like this. Something like the earth's heartbeat—we're not going to get to feel it again with our own skin."

"But you will feel it again." Horaki reached a hand over the gap, offering to pull Ayanami back onto the main structure. "Even if it's never the same, or if it takes a billion billion years, we'll make sure of that."

Ayanami took Horaki's hand, and she climbed back onto the Geofront's main structure.

"Yeah," she said. "I know we will."

You see, even though she had doubts, Ayanami had a great deal of conviction for what they were doing—more than I would've had, at least. She trusted in them—all of them—that it would turn out well in the end, and that they would do it together.

How sad it was, then, that she and the others were betrayed.

When Ayanami was finished, we headed back to the main chamber. By that point, the others were ready for the experiment. Horaki and I joined them in the observation room, watching from the giant's left. Ayanami, in turn, removed her clothes and stood before the giant. Dwarfed as she was by that thing, she faced it down steadily and didn't tremble in the least.

"Lilith." Kaworu spoke through a microphone, and his voice resonated throughout the room. "You may proceed when ready."

She took a breath, and she stepped forward. She approached the giant's leg, and she turned around, putting her body to it back-first.

And when she touched it, the giant's skin pulled at her. It pulled her a centimeter off the ground, and her body sank within it like a coin in a fountain.

She shut her eyes tight, and the giant's white flesh enveloped her whole.

The other's among the seven were as enthralled with the scene as I was. Kaworu had to remind the others to monitor their consoles for data: "What's the electrical activity like?" he asked of Nozomi. "The thermal profile?"

But after a time, the readings on those consoles steadied. The giant was intact and alive. The others looked among each other and decided: so far, so good.

Kaworu got on the microphone. "Lilith," he said, "can you hear me?"

The giant's head turned, facing us, and its seven eyes—each blinking independently of the others—came to focus.

Yes, Adam. I'm here.

I woke up back in the base, underneath the exposed pipes that ran along the ceiling and harsh fluorescent lights. I opened my hand in front of me and wiggled my fingers. The base was a very different place from that version of Nerv Headquarters; for starters, it was alive with running water and circulating air. People passed by with idle chatter and the like. The installation I had seen was more of an empty shell, where even isolated sounds stood out like they didn't belong.

"She believed in it."

That was Ayanami. She stood beside me, in front of the washroom door, and she stared down the hallway, not meeting my gaze.

"She believed in it with all her heart," said Ayanami. "Don't you agree?"

"She did, and she was betrayed." I followed Ayanami's gaze, but the hallway just went on down before turning a corner. There was nothing there to look forward to. "Wasn't she?" I asked.

She said nothing.

"Ayanami, listen—"

I tried to touch her shoulder, but my fingers went through her like putting a hand in front of a movie projector.

Ayanami looked away. "It would be dangerous if I could touch you. She would be able to touch you as well. That's something I've given up."

I wiggled my fingers, and I balled my hand into a fist at my side. "You've given up a lot," I said.

She nodded. "Some of that can never be recovered, but if we win—if she relents…" She brought a finger back through my hand, and she rested her arm at her side. "…maybe then."

"I am still here, right now," I said. "We're all here for you."

"You are here," she said, smiling a little, but that smile was short-lived. "You're here—for now."

"Ayanami—"

"You're in danger, Ikari," she said, eyes hard and focused. "You're all in danger. I asked General Katsuragi for her help. If you're not here for that, then what are you here for? Who are you here for?"

Her red eyes bored into me like lasers.

"I need a part of you to believe in it. If there's something you could do and you leave it undone, then you betray me a little bit, too."

Try as I might to speak, no words came from my throat. I shut my eyes tightly, and I clawed at the top of my head, as though I could pull some explanation from my brain with nothing more than my bare hands.

I sighed, shook my head, and mustered only, "Ayanami, it's not like that; I—"

I looked up, and she was gone.

Ayanami left me there, with the sounds of water flowing through pipes and air through ductwork—in a machine that was alive, but with no other soul around to share that feeling with me.

After speaking with Ayanami, I headed back to my office. The morning schedule was busy, with more training for Sasaki on deck.

I went over the agenda of exercises—three different scenarios for fighting Angels in locations all around Asia, but it was all the same. None of it really changes between one situation to the next. Three Angels, coastline environment? Check. Two Angels, mountain environment? Check. All the same. Pointless details that don't mean anything.

I shut the folder, tucked it under my arm, and went out the door. I headed downstairs and across the base.

To the pilot locker room.

"Sasaki?" I pushed the door open, greeted by rows of lockers in metallic gray. "Are you in here?"

"Yes, sorry," a voice called back. "I'll be down in just a minute!"

"No, that's fine. There's something I wanted to talk about before we got started." I came around the corner, and there was Sasaki:

In white underwear with his plugsuit hanging from the locker door.

"Uh…" He turned redder than a tomato. "Do you mind?"

"Why?" I asked. "There's no modesty when you pilot Eva. Everything you have is laid bare. Get dressed."

Sasaki gawked at me, and after a moment, he sighed and turned around as he continued getting dressed. "What is it, Ikari?"

"I wanted to ask you," I began, "what are you doing here?"

"I'm trying to get dressed, but there's this guy staring at me…"

"That's not what I meant."

"Yeah, I know." He started putting his legs into the suit. "I guess I don't know what you mean," he went on. "Your people asked me to do this. You came to my family and said I could be a pilot. After that…" He sighed, and he looked into the mirror on the locker door, meeting my gaze in the reflection. "It's been over a year now. I don't think about it a lot anymore."

"But let's say you could quit, right now," I said, leaning forward, "what then?"

"Who would do that?" He stared at me over his shoulder. "I'm the next one up; I couldn't do that."

"We can move on—right here, right now, if you tell me this is something you don't want to do."

The boy hung his head, even as he continued to put the suit on. "It's not like this is something I want to do," he said, "but somebody has to do it, and I've been trained to do it, so…shouldn't I?"

"For what?" I stepped forward. "To save the world?"

"Of course."

"You want to save the world? That's why you're here?"

"Doesn't everybody?"

"No! No no." I laughed. "Most people don't, and neither do you. If you wanted to save the world, you wouldn't be so tentative and erratic in that chair, Sasaki."

"I'm trying; I—"

"I don't need you to try," I said, standing just a step behind him. "I need you to believe in something. I need you to feel that conviction and have it fuel you. Who do you want to save—your family?"

"Yes, of course."

"Prove it to me."

His brow furrowed, and he gawked at me. "Prove? How?"

"Say it."

"I want to save my family?"

"Louder."

"I want to save my family!" he cried, eyes wide, looking back at me in the mirror.

"Do you believe it?" I took a step even closer, looking right over his shoulder. "Do you really?"

"Ikari…" He shook his head, shying away from me. "I don't—"

"I need you to believe it," I said, watching him. "If you don't believe it, if you don't feel it in your heart, you're going to suffer!" I banged my fist on the adjacent locker, and Sasaki shuddered, but I went on. "Do you understand? You're going to suffer piloting Eva, and none of it will mean anything if you don't want to do it. So, you tell me you want to do it. You tell me you want to endure this."

"I do, Ikari!" He turned around, facing me with the plugsuit hanging at his ankles. His eyes hardened, and he went on. "I want to do this—for my family, for the world. I really do."

I took him by the shoulder, shook him, and smiled. "Good," I said. "Now get dressed."

"We're going training?" he asked.

"Yes. We're going to train you right this time. We're going to train you like we've never trained anyone before."

Last edited:
So, her name's Eisheth, then? Intriguing.

She was a person created from salved DNA and a borrowed soul.
'salved'? Or 'salvaged'? Both words would fit.
The others—Nozomi and Toji, mostly—kept talking throughout, mostly about extracting the souls of their people for the plan.
'mostly' is repeated in the same sentence.
Ayanami waved a [color= red]hand her[/color] like a headstrong child.
'at her', I presume.
How said it was, then, that she and the others were betrayed.
'sad'
' "It's been over a year now. I don't think about it a lot anymore."
Freestanding apostrophe, here.

A note: I posted it in the A&T thread, but since it's more relevant here, I'll link it here also. The Second Coming has a repository on gitlab.com. This repository includes the full storyboards and the working state of the current draft--including unpublished material.

You read such material at your own risk. For my part, I'll speak a bit about what I anticipate might change: I expect to do some significant reworking of part 6, the conclusion to the story. 6.2 strikes me as needing significant work, and I'm not entirely happy with 6.6, which currently serves the purpose of an epilogue. I'd like to expand 6.5 a little bit also. And of course, all of the material beyond what is published already has not yet undergone a basic editing pass.

Shinji's really learned, if he can hit Sasaki with this. This is the sort of talk he needed to get when he was wondering why he bothered to climb into the Entry Plug. I hope it's the kind of one Sasaki needs to receive, though. 'Why You Fight' speeches are as individual as the answers.

And hm... not sure what to make of that FAR memory... Though the similarity between what happened to Lilith and the Eva Contact Experiments is a painful connection.

Author's Notes: Character Focus - Shinji
Author's Notes: Character Focus - Shinji

Shinji presents a particular challenge in this piece: how do you characterize someone from inside their head—as the piece is told—when you spend most of the time developing characters from outside their heads—as with Asuka, Rei, Misato, Nozomi, and Eisheth? How do you develop those other characters each in their own time when Shinji must be present, by virture of point of view, for all of their growth?

If each of the other characters has a piece of the central theme, then Shinji has the whole of it to explore. Each character's arc reflects upon Shinji and is used, I hope, as an avenue to explore his character as well.

But that is not all Shinji has to deal with. The themes of growing into adulthood have a particular expression with him as well. These ideas represent a shift from The Coming of the First Ones, which focused on him becoming a leader or an inspiration to other people.

There's a natural asymmetry between describing another person's actions and describing your own. When describing another's actions, there's a practical focus on sights and sounds. You can give a play-by-play of their motions, facial expressions, and words. When it comes to their intentions, the best you can do is speculate based on past experiences and your own judgments.

When describing yourself, those two ideas go out the window. People are not typically aware of every little motion or unconscious tick they might have. They know their own thoughts exactly, though their beliefs about what they're doing and what they would actually admit may be quite different.

In characterizing Shinji versus everyone else in the story, I tried to embrace this dichotomy. Shinji's descriptions of others focus primarily on their actions. His inferences about their motivations are, furthermore, often withheld from the reader. If I presented Shinji's thoughts on every little matter, then the reader would have to spend time deciding whether they are authentic and accurate. Removing this layer except for important moments helped me keep focus on what was happening, not Shinji's interpretation of it.

In contrast, when describing Shinji's actions, I tend to reduce the role of body language. Shinji is more like a camera out to the world—a camera the reader cannot pan up and down to see what Shinji is doing with his feet, for instance. I do use it, but I still think it's unnatural to use it as the same frequency as I would with an external character. Instead, I try to focus more on Shinji's beliefs and intentions, especially as presented through stretches of narration to open a passage. Shinji's thoughts, I feel, are best used to help set the mood rather than as a real-time commentary on the story's events.

I felt it was key to give Shinji a small personal arc or stake in other characters' arcs or stories. Each character struggles with something, and Shinji struggles alongside them. In Misato's arc, he's seduced by Misato's determination and tries to make it his own. As Asuka works on the puncture engine, he lets his fears of not having an innate sense of drive or morality fuel his skepticism of her judgment. He lets Rei's pain get to him, pushing him (and Sasaki in turn) to a breaking point. He understands Eisheth's desperation, even as he learns to reject it.

But at the same time, Shinji has issues that he deals with independent of the others. In Nozomi's introduction, he sees a lot of himself in Nozomi—wrongly, perhaps, as she is quite different from him. And it isn't Shinji if he isn't playing hot and cold a little bit: he often takes time away from stress, even at the end of the story. Shinji is, despite his demeanor, an intense person. He cannot just shrug off what happens to him. He needs to take time. The change in him is that instead of leaving with the intention to never return, this Shinji recharges his batteries, takes time to heal, and then comes back to finish what he started.

The original story, The Coming of the First Ones, had the grand idea that Shinji would transform from someone whom people wanted to become a leader to someone who actually was, but I realized through this piece that that leadership idea didn't fit Shinji. Sure, there are still questions about him: what is he going to do with the rest of his life? Where do his passions lie? I don't try to answer those in full. While he does speak in favor of the continuing effort to see that mankind has an opportunity to enjoy being alive, to enjoy each other's company and differences, I doubt that speaking about it would be his primary calling. Seeing that it gets done, as he did when he was working in the soup kitchen? Perhaps that is where he would try to take his life, just without purposeful anonymity.

But the real point of growth for Shinji, I feel, is how he continues to come back despite his anxieties—and I don't mean just for the sake of saving the world through Eva. He comes back to the people: to Asuka, to Misato, to Nozomi, and to Rei. He may need his space, but he comes back to them every time.

Each character has a different mood, and that mood is nowhere more apparent than in the POV character. Shinji lends himself to a fairly sedate overall mood, but he lapses into great anger and frustration at times. There is no greater example of that than his tangent on body fluids in "Fugue," which some interpreted to be a result of alcohol intoxication. I don't think Shinji would need alcohol to get in that state of mind. He is already one to rage against things that seem unfair or nonsensical because they are above and beyond him. He needed a target for his frustration in that moment.

I try to reflect Shinji's general mood and attitude through word choice and sentence structure. Most sentences are even-keeled, and most words are neutral, polite words that Shinji might use in describing something, all other aspects being equal. But Shinji's moments of tension should be apparent also: he becomes noticeably short with Rei, for instance, when she appears to him at the end of "Myanmar." His descriptions of "the thing with Horaki's face" in "Progenitors II" reflect his suspicion that she is the enemy, and because of that, he is bewildered by Rei's apparent friendship with her.

It may be no surprise that, given Shinj's story is spread out over the entirety of the piece, his growth is less focused compared to the other characters. Each arc focuses on an aspect of Shinji or on how his relationships with others influence him. Shinji in "The Boy Who Became a Legend" is focused on the conflict between what he believes should be done for humanity and trying to stay out of the spotlight—so that he won't be held responsible if he's wrong. In "The Sixth Child," he's fixated on the weight of training another pilot, on how Nozomi reflects upon his own flaws (which she doesn't seem to share), and on taking on a new role that is unfamiliar. In "Cherry Blossoms in Faded Gold," he's dealing with survivor's guilt, which applies not only to the current situation but to the post-Instrumentality world in general.

I could go on, but I trust the point has been made. There are lots of different aspects of Shinji's personality and character probed throughout the story. Disparate as they are, Shinji is the connecting thread, and I think it positive that his story doesn't tie up in a neat little bow like the other characters' do.

One of the major points I struggled with in this story was the roles of Gendo and Yui.

I've never wavered from the idea that Gendo would not initially come back from the sea, but one of the ideas I had for the climax in First Ones was that Gendo would emerge at a critical moment, validating Shinji. This would inspire Shinji to press on toward the endgame.

But, as much as I liked that idea for doing something with Gendo, as well as getting the rest of humanity to literally rise out of the ocean to oppose Eisheth, I didn't think that getting validation from Gendo was ultimately good for Shinji.

At another point, I toyed with the idea of Eisheth appearing to Shinji as Yui, but given the lack of connection there, I went with her appearing as Gendo instead, any ideas of gender matching aside. Ironically, it was the desire not to have Eisheth appear to cross genders that, in First Ones, she appeared to Shinji as a cultist he'd met on a train.

Instead of directly involving Gendo and Yui, I tried to have their memories weigh on Shinji at times. The photo on his nightstand, for instance, should get across that these two are not forgotten.

But the real point of growth for Shinji, I feel, is how he continues to come back despite his anxieties—and I don't mean just for the sake of saving the world through Eva. He comes back to the people: to Asuka, to Misato, to Nozomi, and to Rei. He may need his space, but he comes back to them every time.
That really does come across. Shinji for pre-Impact would retreat into himself, try to shut out the world with his SDAT. TSC!Shinji has learned that the people around him that he cares for are what give him strength to keep going, and instead of withdrawing into himself, remembers to reach out to them. It's noticeable that two of Shinji's worst moments in TSC are when he pulls back from Asuka and falls back into his old habit: When Asuka has to drag him out of their apartment when he's been in a funk for days, and when they have the fight and she stays at Hikari's for a while.

Back