And I don't regret that.

Awww.

I have to admit, I really like your fic. I'm just kinda sad that I can't really contribute all that well. Strypgia and Ranma both can actually point out what's wrong and how to change it for the better, while I'm just, "Good words." Your story is definitely is more... eh I'll say higher class than what I usually read. It makes you think about what the characters want and isn't just the literary equivalent of a Michael Bay movie, like a lot of other fanfiction is.

"this guys so cool watch him automatically get along with everyone. yeah shinji is actually a badass now and he always makes the best decisions" That's more the kind of fanfiction I usually read, if a little better formatted because I have shit taste. It's refreshing to read about somebody who regularly makes bad decisions, slacks off sometimes, lets people down, and other stuff like that. What I'm trying to say is, thank you for taking the time to entertain people on the Internet for free.

Your story is definitely is more... eh I'll say higher class than what I usually read. It makes you think about what the characters want and isn't just the literary equivalent of a Michael Bay movie, like a lot of other fanfiction is.

Hey, I enjoy Michael Bay-style movies--I mean, as long as they're tolerably silly and not eye-crossingly silly, anyway. I think I have a lower standard for movies because they're brief--I can enjoy lots of things for just a couple hours. But TV and books and such? That's harder for me. Seems like it's harder to do and feel consistently good.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I think it's totally fine to just read and enjoy something, and saying so every now and then might start a conversation. It might make you remember something that, on a second glance, did feel a little off. But even if not, it's rewarding just to hear that people enjoyed the story. Thanks again.

Takanami, Kirishima, and Makinami

:)
"You don't have to do this alone. You don't have to shoulder all of the burden. You don't have to carry the memories of the dead like a yoke. You don't have to punish yourself to feel better about still being here while your father and Kaji aren't."

Her eyes flashed. "Shinji—"
Dangerous words, Shinji, but I suppose they needed to be said. :( Misato may have moved beyond drinking herself to sleep every night, but she's still never really grappled with her pain, possibly because she's just built up so much of it, she's scared what will happen if she tries. :(
Misato stared at me. Her hand clenched the cubicle divider between my station and Hyuga's. Her knuckles were white and tense. "No," she said at last. "We're not taking that chance. We—"

She stopped abruptly, in mid-sentence. She looked past my station, but there were only an empty cubicle and an aisle there.

"Misato?" I asked, rising, but she raised a hand and silenced me. She looked past the empty cubicle for several seconds, but what she was focused on I couldn't discern. It was as if a gnat were flying around the control room, its pitch so high and faint that only she could hear it.
Someone just had a little visit.... I wonder who she saw?
She nodded vehemently, and she looked to Asuka. "Can I borrow your man?"

"Only if you can teach him how to shoot," said Asuka.
And Asuka has utterly no problem tacitly acknowledging Shinji is hers in public to people she knows well. It's the little 'we're way past will-they-won't-they nonsense here' moments that I love in this story.
There were glowing figures that didn't belong there—the figures of Ayanami and the stranger in the satin hood.
....hello again... Hm...

Great update, and an interesting turn with the Chinese, but I have a question: Will the sub's loyalty be revealed or come into play, or was it just a set-up for the real battle?

Both would be fine, I think.

Minor correction:
A crane came in to attack the envelope to the launching aircraft.
'attach'

Editing Changelog:

3.7/Whole Heart: fixed spelling/minor errors, including that raised by @Ranma-sensei/post #155

4.1/Black Moon's Arrival initial SV edit pass, minor changes through early sections of part 4

Part 4 general: Removed references to Misato as "colonel"

4.1/Black Moon's Arrival:
  • Minor wording corrections throughout
  • Significantly worked on exposition about the situation in Ho Chi Minh City, as much of it was redundant
  • Only one Angel is mentioned by exposition upfront
  • Nozomi now more consistently wears the launch envelope

4.2/A Human Work:
  • Moved much of the dialogue exposition to summary, including the information from Lorenz
  • Maya now limps to the podium, consistent with her injury in 3.3/9/30

4.3/The Puncture Engine: minor paragraph merging, other minor edits

Author's notes file:
  • Added passages on the "first rule" of Evangelion and loving one's characters
  • Added some initial bullet points for character arc discussion

The Second Coming Part Four, "The White Coat," will soon begin:

The main invasion force of Angels arrives on Earth, and Shinji and Nozomi are burning out quickly trying to keep up with the action. Desperate for an ace in the hole, Shinji and Misato turn to Asuka, who is developing a promising new weapon. Make no mistake: Asuka would work day and night to see this weapon come to fruition, and that's exactly what Shinji is afraid of.

4.1/Black Moon's Arrival on Thursday.

We are now halfway home, folks! The Second Coming ends in 20 weeks.

4.1 Black Moon's Arrival
Part Four: The White Coat

20. Black Moon's Arrival

If you didn't experience it, if you weren't around for it, I wonder—can you imagine something everyone on Earth would watch?

A lot of people might watch a World Cup or a US presidential election, but those events don't interest everyone. They don't even interest most people.

But I haven't yet spoken to someone—if they had a television, or knew someone who owned one, or knew somewhere they could see one—who didn't watch the Black Moon's arrival.

As TV cameras tracked a fireball in the sky, occasionally the telecast would switch to scenes from Japan and around the world. In Tokyo-2, traffic came to a standstill. People stood in the streets—in the middle of the street!—watching the Black Moon's descent on skyscraper video boards. In Los Angeles, Berlin, and London, the scene was the same. For a few minutes, all the world stopped in awe, trepidation, and horror.

I can only imagine what it was like to be there—to stand on the beach at Nigercoil, at the southern tip of India, and to marvel at the fire in the sky.

No one I know was there. Misato didn't dare send the Eva against an unknown threat. Only a few scout cutters from the Indian Navy dared approach the projected splashdown point.

But the Black Moon didn't land there: it hovered over water with supernatural lightness, casting a shadow over the Indian ships.

I've sometimes wondered what those sailors felt as that sphere passed over them and blotted out the sun. Were they afraid? Did they tremble as an artificial mass nearly fifteen kilometers in diameter hovered overhead?

Or were they angry and defiant, manning the cutters' guns and training lead on the enemy?

I don't know if anyone who wasn't there knows the answer, actually.

I've yet to meet any of those sailors.

I doubt anyone has, for once the door to the Black Moon opened…

The beasts of the underworld poured out and melted them all.

How do you sleep after something like that?

The reality is that you don't sleep very well.

The next morning I spent most of the wee hours staring at the ceiling above my bed. Every so often, I glanced over at the clock on our nightstand to see what the time was. 3 o'clock passed, then 4, then 5. After a while you wonder where the time went, even though it feels like eternity too. Time still passed. We just weren't doing anything with it.

"This sucks," said Asuka at one point. She pounded her fist into the pillow in frustration, but it didn't do any good. Asuka was more restless than I—she tossed and turned all the time, trying to find some way to sleep. I just lay there, knowing that it was useless.

"Yeah," I said. "Yeah, it does."

I shut my eyes anyway, but only for a few minutes. 5:00 turned to 5:03--then 5:06, 5:10, 5:15…

So the minutes went until 5:30. The alarm went off for about a half-second before my finger was on it and our attempt to sleep was over. We were up.

Lights came in with the flick of a switch—not that there was much to see in our base quarters. The ceiling was just generic, speckled tile panels.

Clothes? No issue. Mine were folded up at the desk, and Asuka had a hanger set up with brown pants, a sweater, and a cleaned laboratory coat. We cleaned our teeth in a flash and were out of the room by 5:32.

Our first stop was the officers' mess. Breakfast was already on the table when we got there, with eggs, natto, miso soup, rice, and tofu all available, plus a few SDF mess staff available to cook eggs or tofu for you on the spot. Far from a pleasant sit-down breakfast, though, it was more of a quick stop: officers were constantly in and out of the mess at various times. Hyuga himself stopped by only for a piece of toast and coffee. He shot us both an apologetic look before leaving his cup at the head of the table.

"Better to be early, right?" said Asuka between bites of scrambled egg.

"Yeah," I said, nodding, and like the rest of the officers and civilians, we made quick work of our breakfast, too.

Our rushed morning's final destination was the control room. At 15 minutes to the hour, it was only partially staffed, with positions sitting open and staffers filing in and out with paperwork, reconnaissance, and other material.

I dare say the only one who didn't seem rushed or hurried to get ready was the commander herself: Misato sat back in her high chair, eyes shut and breathing slowly, but as soon as I sat down, she said,

"Are you ready to save the world, Mister Ikari?"

And yes, she did say Mister, in English. I don't know why, but it stunned me long enough to be caught by Misato and the one eye she opened to look at me.

"Well?" she said. "Are you?"

"That depends," I said, putting on my headset. "What are we up against?"

Misato sighed at that, looking aside. "An unfair fight—what else would it be? Recon's on your desk."

I scooted forward and flipped through the folder on my desk. I saw the photos. I glimpsed the enemy and read what it was capable of.

I shut the folder and hissed. "Does she know?" I asked, glancing over my shoulder.

Misato nodded. "She's not happy."

"She usually isn't."

"She's less happy than usual."

Sighing, I typed at the computer in front of me, logging into the communications system.

"Shinji."

"Yes?"

"Stay cool, now."

I smiled to myself. "You're setting a good example there."

"It's something I'm trying to learn."

I peeked over my shoulder, but the general in green had her eyes closed again. She nodded with her breath steady as the time to launch ticked away.

That couldn't be said for our pilot. I brought up the entry plug camera, and Nozomi was contorted over the entry plug's seat like a gymnast trying a surreal trick.

"Be glad you never had to do this, Ikari," she said.

"Are you hanging in there?" I asked.

She huffed at that. "I'm hanging from something all right."

I glanced at the feed from an exterior camera: Eva-14 was clamped to the belly of a jet airliner. At least it wasn't too uncomfortable for Nozomi—in air launch configuration, the entry plug seat was rotated to keep the blood rushing from her head. Still, just knowing you're strapped to the belly of an aluminum bird isn't the most comforting thing in the world.

"Sorry," I said. "Let's go with, uh, how are you holding up?"

"I'm not holding up. I'm being held up."

I raised both eyebrows and stared at her. "Nozomi."

"Sorry, just a little worried about this I guess." Nozomi sighed, and she started looking forward again. "Have you seen the briefs, Ikari?" she asked.

I nodded, averting my gaze.

"You got any ideas?"

"I don't, really."

"Big help," she said, huffing. "Why's that?"

"Usually," I said, "we outnumbered the Angels when we fought them."

"Fair." She pulled herself up in her seat, and she grasped the controls, ready for action. "You ready?"

"Nope, but I'll try anyway."

She huffed again, breaking into a wry smile. "I've heard of worse plans."

We said nothing more for a time, not until Eva-14 flew over the target.

The place was Ho Chi Minh City. A coastal town, Ho Chi Minh City was a prime target for the enemy. The walkers—those ghastly, nigh-unkillable beasts with needle-like fingers—had materialized from the ocean and pushed into the city. They liquefied civilians one at a time, and all it took to dissolve a man was a stab to the head, held long enough to torment the victim until he or she gave in. They were like raging bulls, and every man, woman, and child in their way may as well have been wearing red.

That's not to say no one tried to put the bulls down. The People's Army rolled into town from the north, and as sectors of the city fell, the PAVN resorted to bombarding the city with artillery. Nothing short of obliterating the enemy would do—otherwise, they would just regenerate and come back fighting—so the PAVN made the city burn. In some places, they didn't even bother waiting to hear all the civilians had escaped or been taken. A dark haze hung over the city, with fires starting at the water and petering out further north.

Yet where men dared make camp to rain fire and metal on the enemy, there was no true safety.

Why, you ask?

Because an Angel came after them.

It was like a snowflake, or a fractal: a repeating, geometric pattern branched out from its center, shrinking with each iteration so that the very edge of the Angel was really an infinite number of smaller branches tapering out, each built on top of another. The Fractal Angel floated over the northern suburbs of the city, gutting buildings, artillery, and tanks without truly touching them. It just floated nearby and cut anything in the vicinity in two.

The Angels had come again, and there was nothing else to do but rush headlong into battle and hope for the best.

"Separation in ten, nine…," one of the controllers announced.

If the enemy loomed on our doorstep, our only option was to take the fight to them before they breached the gate.

"Eight, seven, six…"

Standing at his station, Hyuga counted down to separation. Nozomi Horaki flew in Eva-14, latched to the back of a cargo plane. She hung on for dear life, and all of us—all humanity—clung to our hopes with her.

"Five, four, three…"

From Misato, who sat at the rear of the control room floor, overseeing its every move; to Asuka and the gaggle of scientists and engineers monitoring the Eva's heartbeat, nerve impulses, and more; and to me in my stuffy cubicle, with just a few monitors around me and file folders laid out like a photographer's portfolio.

So we had gathered—dozens of us, maybe fifty in all—to try to save the world.

"Two, one, separation!"

The cargo plane dove down, and Eva-14—wielding a black airfoil on each arm—glided over water to the battle site.

What awaited the Eva was shrouded in smoke. A city by the ocean burned, and though Nozomi couldn't see around the smoke, our satellites could. As the Eva flew toward battle, new fires broke out in the city every few seconds, for a constant barrage of small explosions peppered the beach and the streets nearby—not to destroy the buildings or the people.

You see, there were no more people left there. There were only those things. The bulls ran the streets, as it were. That's what the bombardment was meant for. It was the only thing that could slow them down. It may have kept the walkers at bay, but the Fractal Angel was undeterred: it flew over the ground with supernatural flight, and as it did so, it cut anything and everything beneath it. Buildings? Gutted. Tanks? Split in two. Artillery pieces? Mangled beyond all recognition.

So you see, when Nozomi and Eva-14 emerged from the cloud of smoke over the city, when she sighted the Snowflake Angel in the distance, she banked the launch envelope's airfoils, turning her toward the Angel.

But as the Angel helped the walkers invade the city, the Angel had help for it, too.

THUD! Nozomi rocked in her seat, and the Eva pulled down on one side, tilting off course.

"What was that?" I cried, rising from my seat. "Nozomi!"

She winced, and she popped the prog knife through a slot in the launch envelope.

"It's hanging on to my back…"

It was a white, leathery-winged creature, and there were many more like it. Unit-14 flew through a flock of them, and they didn't "fly" so much as spin to maintain altitude. These three-limbed creatures floated like frisbees, with each limb holding the fleshy part of an adjacent wing to form a disc.

Only when one landed, like one did on Unit-14's back, did we get a good look at its face: its three-eyed face with gnashing fangs.

The creature clung to the launch envelope's right wing, and no matter how Unit-14 twisted and stabbed at it, the beast wouldn't let go.

"Nozomi, hard impact!" I said. "Release!"

"Urgh." Nozomi jammed a switch on her controls, and the launch envelope blew apart. She curled the Eva into a ball, grabbed the levers tightly, and—

Ka-PANG! Unit-14 skidded on the soft ground, rolling along the side of a road. It smashed into a two-story building and stopped halfway through the structure, lying in a heap of splintered wood and shattered glass.

"Okay…" Nozomi slid back into her seat, pressing a hand to her chest where the restraints had caught her. She winced. "That sucked. Can we not do that again?"

There was a rumbling beneath the Eva's feet. Broken light fixtures snapped off the ceiling and fell to the ground.

"Ops, pattern white signal is closing on Unit-14's position," said one of the controllers.

I pressed down hard on the transmit switch on my headset. "Nozomi, second Angel is coming your way!"

The Eva—big, round, and lumbering as it was—pulled itself to its feet. "It's underneath me right now," said Nozomi, as the Eva swayed to keep its balance, "isn't it?"

I looked over the wall of my cubicle at the detection controller, who nodded twice, grimly.

"You're not going to let that get in your way, are you, Nozomi?" I said.

She smirked at that. "Nope."

The Eva bolted. It dashed over the soft, wet ground, making a beeline for the Snowflake Angel. As the Eva kicked up divots and left gashes in its steps, Nozomi bared her prog knife and rushed past the front line of artillery pieces. Soldiers and vehicles alike scampered out of her way.

But the ground quaked and trembled before Unit-14, and from the depths of the earth emerged the second Angel: a giant worm. It slithered out of the ground and wrapped up Unit-14 the way a constrictor might kill a rabbit or a hen. Three times the size of the Eva, the Worm Angel wrapped Unit-14 up and had room to spare to press its mouthparts against the Eva's AT field. Those mouthparts had several independent rings, each spinning opposite the other, and together, they drilled into Unit-14's AT field, shedding bolts of energy as they ripped the AT field apart.

"Ops," said the detection officer, "pattern red is retreating, but S2 engine output is increasing."

"Ops," said Asuka, "Unit-14 is showing one AT field layer breached. Synch rate cut to 50%. Significant stress on the left ankle and ribcage. We've got to get her out of there soon."

Hyuga looked back, to Misato, but the general shrugged her shoulders. "Your show, Captain," she said, "but I'd consider getting her out of that pickle before worrying about what the first Angel is doing."

Hyuga nodded at that, and he tapped his fingers on the top of the cubicle wall.

"All right," he said, "Shinji, break out the emergency maneuvers. We can't let Unit-14 become compromised in this position."

I got on the radio. "Nozomi, what can you do to break free?"

"From this position?" Nozomi swayed left and right in her seat, but no matter how she angled herself, the Worm Angel's body blocked her view. "Is that a serious question?" she asked.

"What about the—the, uh—" I frowned, and I tapped the side of my head with a pen. "The Cyclops Maneuver?"

The Eva twisted and shuddered; the Worm's grip tightened, and Nozomi grabbed her wrist, wincing. "I'll—" She bit down on her lip. "I'll face up—just try to get it to back off. A direct attack could backfire, right?"

"Yeah, I agree."

"Okay." Nozomi nodded, and she started breathing more heavily. "Let's do it. Have them dial it up. Are we good?"

I looked to Hyuga, but he didn't seem to be on board: his eyes were narrow and his jaw clenched. "That's dangerous at this range," he said.

"She can pull it off. We've practiced it more than enough."

He sighed with his mouth closed and stared at the middle screen on the wall, on which Unit-14 was having the life squeezed out of it.

"All right," he said, announcing over the communications loop for all to hear. "Cyclops Maneuver. Let's go."

The room erupted with a flurry of chatter between controllers, but one voice stood out over the rest: Asuka's.

"Increasing plug depth," she said, standing over the virtual gauge on her monitor. "110% normal depth, 120%…"

"Gah!" Nozomi convulsed. Her hands clenched the controls, and a piece of plastic failed under that force, cracking along a seam.

"Is it bad?" I asked, rising.

"It's like—" She was hyperventilating. "It's like getting trapped in quicksand!"

"That's because you are getting trapped," I said, keeping my eyes on the entry plug feed. "The Eva has you. Do you feel her? She's speaking to you. She speaks to you, and you don't even know what she sounds like because she sounds like you. You sound like the Eva in your mind, and she sounds like you. Right?"

She went strangely calm then. She stared right at the camera, eyes wide.

"We sound the same." Her eyes flickered away and stared into space. "We are the same?"

I bowed my head, let out a breath, and stared at my desk as I opened the radio line again. "Yes, you are the same. And it—it hurts, doesn't it? It hurts to be together, and what the Angel is doing hurts, too." I peeked up. "Right?"

The Worm Angel's grip tightened further, bending the Eva's arms away from its body, yet Nozomi didn't react immediately. She just sat a little more upright in her seat and cast her arms away from her, like the Eva's, as though connected to the creature through a puppeteer's strings.

"We don't want this to hurt anymore." Her eyes narrowed, and her whole body trembled. "No more."

"Do you see what's hurting you?"

She nodded.

"Make it go away."

Nozomi set her sights on the Worm Angel, and—

TCH-CHEW!

A light blasted through the Worm's body; it shot across the whole battlefield and cut through the haze of smoke above. The Eva's eyes—all six of them—glowed a bright and dangerous red.

Though its armor charred from the blast, the Eva stepped through the hole in the Worm's body on its own two feet, grabbed the severed tail of the Worm, and promptly started smashing the Worm's head part with the bleeding tail. It bashed the enemy a hundred times over in seconds, attacking with inhuman speed: its arms blurred, and Unit-14 panted and growled with an animalistic heaving.

"Wake up, Nozomi!" I cried. "I have some graphite pencils for you! Graphite! Graphite!"

"Graphite sucks!" She shook herself and slapped her cheek, shaking off her trance. "It sucks! Do you hear me?" Her body lost its tension, and she sagged over the plug controls, panting. "They suck, right?" she said, laughing to herself.

"Yeah," I said, smiling in turn. "They suck. Good work, Nozomi."

"It's not time for 'good work' yet." Misato rose, leaning over her desk to supervise the room. "What's the story with the first Angel?"

The Fractal Angel had retreated about a kilometer and a half from Nozomi's position, but it had stopped right there, on the outskirts of town. "S2 engine output is 220% of baseline and rising, and the Angel's AT field wavevector is fluctuating," one of the controllers explained. "It could be an inversion."

"A wavevector inversion?" Hyuga stormed over to the controller's station. "Are you sure?"

"No, sir, that's the worst case," said the controller, pointing with her hand at the monitor's readouts. "I can't tell if an inversion is likely, but it's possible, and at this range and S2 engine output level—"

"Then Nozomi is goo," muttered Hyuga. He balled his hand into a fist. "Shinji, get her to that Angel. We're running out of time."

"Nozomi." I pressed the earpiece so hard it hurt. "Get to the Fractal. Waypoint's on your screen. Go, now!"

Unit-14 dashed across the soft land near the river delta. It ran on all fours like a bear, and the ground rumbled with each of the Eva's heavy strides.

But the Eva wasn't the only beast to roam the city outskirts. A brown tendril shot out and grabbed Unit-14 by the ankle.

"Oh no you don't!" Nozomi sliced the tendril clean, but though the Eva picked itself up from the ground, it had already lost time: the Worm Angel was in pursuit. Shorter and stubbier than it had been before, it was no less quick to slither and crawl over the muddy ground, using its tendrils to fling itself forward when needed.

"Don't let it slow you down," I instructed over the radio. "It's a distraction. Get to the Fractal!"

"Total wavevector inversion!" one of the controllers cried. "S2 engine output at 1000% baseline!"

"All right," said Misato, sitting forward from her seat above the control room. "Asuka, get Captain Ibuki on the horn."

Asuka typed at her console, and she unplugged her headset. "You're on, Misato."

"Ibuki," said the general, "what is the minimum safe distance for Unit-14?"

"We're working on that right now, Control," said Maya. "We have—let's see, safe distance for AT field inversion at 100% baseline power is 800 meters, and the distance doubles for every factor of four in power above that. 1000% should be…about 2.5-kilometer blast zone."

"1600% baseline now," said the detection controller.

Hyuga covered his microphone. "Control, I think we have to assume the Angel's goal is to liquefy the whole city. It's not going to settle for taking out a handful of city blocks."

Misato narrowed her eyes, staring at the front screens. "Is she going to make it?"

Unit-14 batted away another pair of tendrils as the worm gave chase. It hopped over two-story buildings, collapsing the ground behind them as it ran.

Nozomi set her sights on the Fractal angel, which sat unnaturally on a point of its spiky body pattern, but the Angel glowed, brimming with energy. Its light cast shadows across the cityscape and blinded me even through the entry plug camera.

"100,000% baseline!" cried the detection controller.

The Worm Angel burrowed into the ground.

"Nozomi, get down!" I yelled.

Unit-14 skidded to a halt. It curled into a ball, and—

The light exploded. A wall of glowing octagons held between Unit-14 and the blast wave, but overwhelming light surrounded the Eva, searing it from all sides.

"That's enough!"

Misato rose, and she looked to the ceiling.

"We're not losing Unit-14 today, not on my watch. Rei!"

The room went quiet, save for Nozomi's struggles against the blast.

"Misato," I stammered, "Ayanami is—"

"Here."

It was a soft, quiet voice, and yet it felt as though it could be heard no matter how far you were away from it.

Something looking like Rei Ayanami stood at the front of the room, just underneath the center projector screen. Her head was in line with the image, and yet it didn't cast a shadow. Her whole body was translucent and shimmered with an ephemeral glow.

"My God," cried Asuka, "the geist is alive!"

Ayanami's eyes flickered to Asuka, who shrank and turned aside in her seat, but the two didn't exchange words. Instead, Ayanami met Misato's gaze. "What do you want, General Katsuragi?" she asked, her stare impassive and steady.

"Evacuate Unit-14 to safety," said Misato. "You can do that much, can't you?"

"And give the enemy the power to do the same, or worse?"

Misato barged down the central aisle of the control room, standing face-to-face with Ayanami. "That's in the future," she said. "This is right now. You asked me to do this. I'm asking you for one thing now."

"One act," said Ayanami. "That's all I will do for you."

"That's all you'd give us?"

Ayanami looked away—meeting my gaze. "That is all that can be afforded," she said.

She closed her eyes, and two of the projector screens went blank: the entry plug feed, along with plots and graphs of telemetry, went out for five full seconds.

And then…

"Control," said the telemetry officer, "we have reacquisition of signal from Comm Relay Nagano."

The center and right screens flickered back to life. The Eva was still alive, and the view from its eyes showed a mountainous forest.

"Okay…" said Nozomi, gawking. "Somebody want to tell me what just happened?"

"It was—" I looked to Misato and Ayanami, but already, the ghost of that girl was gone, leaving only the general to stand there with the light of the projector reflecting off her hair. "It was…something," was all I could muster.

"Yes, yes it was," said Misato, hearing me.

She craned her neck to look at the leftmost projector screen—the view of the battlefield Nozomi had left. The unnatural light faded away, and all was quiet. Neither the enemy, nor humankind, walked the streets of the city. The artillery cannons were silent, and not even a bird flew over the scene.

Only the Fractal angel floated slowly over the wasteland, as though nothing were wrong at all.

"This is what we're up against, people," said Misato, "and if you weren't sure what the enemy would bring against us, now you know. And you know we weren't ready."

She turned a hard eye to the control room, and she said,

"We got our asses kicked."

Last edited:
Did they tremble as an artificial mass fifteen kilometers hovered overhead?
Missing a word after 'kilometers'. And that's a bit bigger than the originals: the canon Black Seed was 13.75 kilometers across. That's a bit ominous.
I glimpsed the enemy and read what it was capable of
Missing a period.

Well, well... MIsato called out for Rei's help with absolutely no uncertainty. Interesting. And oh dear, if the Angels are now full on liquidating entire cities at a time, you have reached the point where you should go straight to N2 mines, or full-on nuclear weapons as your opener.

And that's a bit bigger than the originals: the canon Black Seed was 13.75 kilometers across.

Eh, I'm just rounding a bit with the numbers.

And oh dear, if the Angels are now full on liquidating entire cities at a time, you have reached the point where you should go straight to N2 mines, or full-on nuclear weapons as your opener.

Are they gonna work, though? You can throw all manner of conventional weapons at these things, but unless you have another positron rifle lying around, what is it gonna do?

Well, well, well; Nozomi is having a shitty day.

Just a question, though: Are you assuming that the pilot's seat is stationary inside the plug? Because I was always assuming that it was self-balancing, seeing as the plug screws into the Evangelion's neck.
the second Angel: a giant worm
Three times the size of the Eva, the Worm Angel
So, more Tremors than Dune?
Those mouthparts had several independent rings, each spinning opposite the other,
That reminds me of something, too... :confused:
And oh dear, if the Angels are now full on liquidating entire cities at a time, you have reached the point where you should go straight to N2 mines, or full-on nuclear weapons as your opener.
Are they gonna work, though? You can throw all manner of conventional weapons at these things, but unless you have another positron rifle lying around, what is it gonna do?
Canon goes back and forth on it. From what we see, Sachiel could probably be destroyed with a big enough boom, while Kaworu can even block waves with his AT Field.

And, to satisfy my raging OCD:
Mine were folded up at the desk, and Asuka had a hangar set up with brown pants, a sweater, and a cleaned laboratory coat.
'hanger'
Nozomi sliced the trendil clean,
'tendril'
"Total wavevector inversion!" one of the controllers cired.
'cried'
"My God," cried Asuka, "the geist is alive!"
Loanword, or Asuka speaking German? Because if it is the latter, 'Geist' needs to be upper case.

Just a question, though: Are you assuming that the pilot's seat is stationary inside the plug? Because I was always assuming that it was self-balancing, seeing as the plug screws into the Evangelion's neck.

That would make it seem as though it can at least rotate within the plug, you think? We know that "plug depth" can be controlled also, but that might or might not include the chair.

Even if the chair could move within the plug in some manner, I don't know if it would move fast enough to keep up with inertia. Is that what you were getting at?

Even if the chair could move within the plug in some manner, I don't know if it would move fast enough to keep up with inertia. Is that what you were getting at?
Yes, it is. I was always assuming it either sits on rails or in a sort of cradle with a balancing weight.

Yes, it is. I was always assuming it either sits on rails or in a sort of cradle with a balancing weight.

I think that's possible, though again I wonder about how much range such a thing would have, given the dimensions of the plug.

Is there a particular passage that made you think about this point--one in which a lack of inertia damping seemed like a problem?

Is there a particular passage that made you think about this point--one in which a lack of inertia damping seemed like a problem?
When Nozomi is in her Eva which is strapped to the giant wing was when I thought about it.

When you think back to episode 09 when they are flown out to Kii pensinsula, the Evas are strapped to the two giant wings horizontally facing downwards (which would put Asuka and Shinji hanging upside down , given how the plug inserts), yet when Misato talks to the children while they are approaching their destination, they are perfectly upright.

I see. I don't have my copy of the series readily available. I'll review the scene, but as far as something as drastic as the chair rotating about an axis that goes from pilot's left to pilot's right--which is how I imagine the chair could stay "upright" even while the Eva is inverted in the manner you describe--I'm not sure how that would be possible without a visible horizontal bar.

Editing changelog

4.1/Black Moon's Arrival:
  • Resolved issues raised by @Strypgia/post #162 - Changed the description of the object to say "nearly fifteen kilometers in diameter". Added a missing period.
  • Resolved issues raised by @Ranma-sensei/post #164 - minor spelling fixes, clarified Nozomi's orientation while flying. Added some significant narration to this point, as well as an extra joke beat between Shinji and Nozomi to smooth things out.
  • Committed some minor wording changes already in the published version

4.2/A Human Work: minor spelling and wording fixes. Most of the revision has already been done in previous commits.

Completed author's notes init draft

second-revisions: added a paragraph on tweaking 5.3/Progenitors II to fix Rei's character arc and motivations

Coming Thursday: 4.2/A Human Work
And coming soon (Monday?): The Second Coming Author's Notes Series Part I - Introduction and background

The Second Coming ends in 19 weeks.

Last edited:
4.2 A Human Work
21. A Human Work

With our failure, Ho Chi Minh City fell.

A few hours after the battle, Misato assembled the control room personnel in the briefing hall—a room with stadium seating, a projector, and whiteboards. The mood in the briefing hall wasn't great. Our early morning wakeup call was starting to take its toll, and rumors were going around about the overall situation elsewhere. The Americans were on the ropes. South America had been cut in half already, with no possibility of relief from their northern neighbors. The Germans were concentrating on mostly on the Mid-East, much to the consternation of the Russians and a coalition of African and Western European states, but they had managed to kill an Angel outside Istanbul. That was a start.

Still, our defenses were being tested all over the world. This was, our people believed, a deliberate strategy on the part of the enemy. We learned this from none other than Keel Lorenz himself. Resting comfortably in his cell, Lorenz had been given various sets of real and fabricated intelligence. Asked to assess each one individually, he gave insights into what he thought the enemy was trying to do. For our situation, he said,

"In this scenario, she's patient," he said. "You see what she's doing, don't you? She's taken her Angels away from your seats of power—away from Germany, Japan, and America. She knows that civilization will collapse if enough of mankind is neutralized." He tapped excitedly on a map. "This is not like before Third Impact, you see? There is no fortress city guarding the Angels' goal. You can't make them come to you. She will stave you and suffocate you, even if it takes years to see it through."

As much as I hated to admit it, Lorenz was useful to us. If the price of his analysis was a few dozen copies of Arthur C. Clarke books, it was well worth it.

Still, Lorenz may have given us an idea of the enemy's strategy, but we were still no closer to defeating it. The Americans and Germans had different ideas on that matter. The Americans were looking to expand Project Noah, hoping to rain justice from above, but it remained to be seen how effective the tungsten rods would be against each Angel, and their planes and spaceships weren't guaranteed to be safe from the flying, spinning creatures that had come as well. The Germans, on the other hand, wanted to ramp up the use of N2 weapons against the Angels. That was fine as long as the Angels were caught outside of major population centers, but dissolving whole cities was part of their strategy. Once they were in position, bombarding them with an entire N2 stockpile would've been like burning down your own house to keep criminals out.

At that point, the discussion in the briefing turned to our efforts. "What do we have, to turn the tide of this war?" asked Hyuga. "To that, I turn the floor over to research and development. Captain Ibuki?"

Maya came up from the second row and limped to the podium—a reminder of the injury she'd sustained body-doubling for me. She plopped a folder full of papers and notes on the podium.

"Sorry," she said, flipping through the stack of documents. "Let's see—ah, here we are."

She pressed on a remote, and the slide turned to a list of projects.

"We have a few ideas we've been working on," she said. "The Cyclops Maneuver was the most mature, but that's already been used in combat, so I won't discuss that for now.

"Multiple Soul Confinement might allow us to share the burden of piloting between several simultaneous pilots, improving mental stability but requiring increased coordination. Still, if it allows us to run the Eva at increased plug depth or synch ratio, we could see tangible increases in combat effectiveness. There would, however, be a significant risk of mental cross-contamination between the pilots.

"But the most battle-ready technology we've yet to implement is the puncture engine. Asuka?"

Asuka, sitting beside me, was hunched over a laptop. She pounded at her keyboard for a few climactic keystrokes, grinning when she was done. "You should have it now, Maya!" she said, beaming.

Maya pored over the computer at the podium for a few seconds, peering at the screen. She dragged a few charts and plots onto the projector image, brushed some hair out of her eyes, and went on.

"Asuka's just given me some estimates of effectiveness of the puncture engine, based on our latest models. The puncture engine neutralizes an Angel's AT field. These plots show how much power must be diverted from the Eva's S2 engine to neutralize an AT field of the given strength to less than 1% effectiveness. Even for the Angels we encountered today, the required power output is well within the Eva's operating budget, which is…" She highlighted a red line at the far right of the plot. "Right here."

Misato cleared her throat. "Models are all well and good, Ibuki, but what do you need to make this model reality?"

Maya opened her mouth to answer, but Asuka cut her off.

"Test pilots," said Asuka. "Take a few hours from the backups' schedules—or even Nozomi's—and give us the data we need to make the prototype into a production weapon."

Misato looked to Maya, who nodded in agreement. "There's no substitute for real human beings working with these things," said Maya.

At that, Misato and Hyuga exchanged a glance, with Hyuga shrugging. Misato flipped through some papers before saying,

"All right, make it happen. Hyuga will make the pilots' schedule work for it."

Asuka clapped her hands together, grinning. "You're making a good choice, Misato. You're right to put your faith in me to save the world."

At that, Misato raised both eyebrows. "I thought you said you don't like to gloat until after you win."

"This is a win," said Asuka. "The victory over the Angels is just a formality at this point."

Shaking her head knowingly, Misato turned her attention to the rest of the presentation. "Make that happen," she said, "and I'll buy you two steak dinners."

The briefing went on, of course, with other base officers presenting ideas for improvements. Aoba went into detail about modifications to the Eva launch system, as well as plans for bases in other countries to more effectively deter the enemy away from Japan.

But Asuka didn't listen to a word of that, I think. She just went back to typing furiously on her laptop, generating plots and putting them aside like a manic artist in an opium den.

The best pilot to test any kind of Eva technology was Nozomi, of course.

Ayanami had transported Unit-14 back to Japan—back to the top of the cage elevator, actually—in the blink of an eye, so by the time we were done with the briefing, Nozomi was safe and sound, no doubt.

Asuka meant to go fetch Nozomi after the meeting, but I told her not to. "You have work to do," I said. "There's a test to prepare, isn't there?"

"You'll bring her over if she's up to it?" asked Asuka.

"Yeah, I, uh—" I looked aside. "I want to see how she's doing."

Asuka raised an eyebrow, but she didn't comment on it. "All right, see you soon." She gave me a peck on the cheek and ran. "Maya, wait up!" She chased down Maya, and the two engaged in a walking conversation about test parameters, leaving me to fetch our pilot.

I went alone to do this, putting the scientists and soldiers behind me. They all had business to attend to. It was only natural I do this small job. I only had a few reports and papers to review in my office.

No, you see, most people on the base had to be there and had to keep working on their responsibilities. Construction staff checked the buildings' interiors and the rock faces outside every hour of every day. If the mountain on top of us weakened, they'd be the first to let us know. Communications staff maintained the connections to the city and SDF networks. Without them, we would've been blind and deaf.

So you see, most people on the base were essential. The base—and its mission—couldn't function without them.

As I made my way to on-base housing, I was certainly aware of that: a maintenance worker was visible through one of the hallway windows. He seemed to be inspecting the springs at the foot of one of the other buildings. These were no cheap springs either, mind you: if they could support a four-story building, they were nothing you'd want breaking in your face.

Yet there the man was, with only a hard hat and goggles for protection, as he shined a blacklight on the spring to look for metal fatigue.

And I stood there, for a while, watching him through a distant window. I looked up at the dull, inert light of the fluorescent tubes overhead. I put my hands in front of them, seeing how the pale white light reflected off equally pale skin.

And I went on.

Nozomi's quarters were in the same building of base housing as mine, but it was a few floors down. All the pilot candidates had quarters there, but all except for Nozomi's were shared, and she only got her private room just a few days before the Black Moon's arrival.

Let's just say you don't want your main pilot up for sixteen hours at a time just to have to share a room with someone else when they're off the clock.

But in the end, Nozomi's door was just another dark-blue door along a row of two dozen others, standing out only for the contrast against the cream-colored pipes and walls. If you thought it'd be dark inside a mountain, you'd be wrong. SDF kept things too bright, too inert, too white. That was the sickly existence we coped with day after day—Nozomi and I both.

I knocked on her door, and a voice came through faintly to me.

"Hey, look, somebody's here," she said.

A pause.

"Okay, whatever."

The door opened, and Nozomi gave me a short smile and a nod. She jerked her head inside, all the while holding a phone handset to her ear and carrying the base—cords and all—back to her nightstand. She plopped back down on her bed, tethered to the phone, while I took a seat at desk.

"Yeah, it's Ikari," she said. "You wanna say hi?" She pressed the earpiece to her shoulder and looked at me. "Hikari says hi. Actually she says a lot of things, but most of them are for me, whether I want them or not, you know?"

I laughed. "Say hello for me—and for Asuka, too."

Nozomi put the phone back to her ear. "Ikari says hi back, and for Soryu, too." A pause. "No, I don't know what it's about. Maybe he's come to make a woman out of me."

I snorted. I shook my head and mouthed no. No, no, no!

But Nozomi was having none of it. She grinned wickedly and played with a pencil in her free hand as she spoke.

"I mean, he knocked on the door, I invited him into my room, and he accepted. What do you think is going on, Hikari?"

Horaki's voice was sharp enough I could hear it through the earpiece. "Are you trying to get me off the phone, Nozomi?"

Nozomi thought for a second, still twirling her pencil in her hand.

"Nope," she deadpanned.

"Honestly…" The rest of Hoarki's half of the conversation was too muffled for me to hear, but her tone was by no means uncertain. I could easily imagine her lecturing Nozomi with that voice, saying that Nozomi should bathe with ice to relieve soreness, take two pills at night to help sleep, and the like.

And Nozomi, for her part, nodded and looked aside while she listened.

I gave the two some privacy, or at least as much as I could by not paying attention—effective privacy, even if I didn't want to leave the room. My eyes wandered the room for a bit, and I took in the scene. Nozomi had left her sketchpad on the desk, where I sat. I glanced over the latest sketch—a cityscape of Ho Chi Minh City, the capital on a forested river delta—but I didn't touch any of the pages.

The rest of the room was spartan, like Asuka's and mine, with a wardrobe of cheap plastic drawers, gray and white in color. One drawer had been left a couple centimeters open, and I caught sight of a blue top that had been folded not-so-neatly inside, along with other clothes. The drawer was full, as were the others. Two suitcases lay beyond the bed, at the base of the closet. They were open but empty. Bathroom amenities, too, were all in position and used: a toothbrush, a handful of hair bands, a box of tampons. At that, I only hoped we would not be there long enough to go through that whole box.

But it was possible.

It was possible we'd be there for months, if not longer, and Nozomi?

She was every bit prepared for that.

"Yeah, it's gonna be fine, okay?" Nozomi told her sister on the phone. "It's gonna be fine, so I'll talk to you later, Hikari, okay? Okay, bye."

She put the phone on its base and sighed. She sat up on the bed, put her face in her hands, and shook her head for a few moments. Her hair was a little less than perfect: her scrunchie was loose and lopsided, leaving her ponytail out of shape, but she didn't bother to adjust it. She just sat there with her face in her hands, and she asked, with a muffled voice,

"I'm not needed, am I?"

"To pilot?" I said. "No."

"Good." She stretched her arms out, wincing. "Feels like I got run over by a steamroller. Is it always this bad?"

"It can be."

"That's not encouraging."

"You'd hate it more if I lied."

She huffed at that, smiling weakly. "Yeah," she said. "Yeah, I would." She fell back in bed and bounced a little off the mattress. She stared at the ceiling. "As long as it's not today, I'll be good. I think." She cast an eye to me. "Can you get my pad?"

I laughed at that, and I handed over the drawings. "Some things you don't take a break from, do you?"

"What else am I gonna do?" She propped a pillow up against the headboard and sat with the sketchpad on her legs. "Sit around and stare at the ceiling all day?"

I shrugged. "It worked for me, once upon a time."

"Hm, I dunno if I want to end up in your position, Ikari," she said, twirling her pencil in her fingers as she eyed her pad.

"Why's that?"

"If I end up having to mentor another kid to pilot one of these things, I think the world will have had its fill of Eva and Angels."

"I already have," I said, looking aside. "What are we supposed to do with one Eva against two Angel?"

"Get our asses handed to us, I think," she said with a sigh. "But after that—I dunno, I should've broken out of that wormy Angel's grasp without needing to go full-on berserk. That does a wonder on a girl's head; don't wanna be doing that lightly." She glanced up from her pad, even as she put down a few strokes in charcoal pencil. "Maybe you wanna look at the video later and see if you think so, too?"

"Yeah, I think I will," I said, but to tell the truth, my mind was far from film review sessions of combat footage. No, I watched Nozomi draw, and I'll tell you this: her movements didn't betray the soreness in her muscles and joints. There wasn't just a girl in front of me: there was an artist. Her spirit and will to capture the world in her sketchpad was still there. Piloting Eva hadn't taken a gram of that spirit out of her. Her scrutinizing eye was as keen as ever, and her pencil strokes were meticulous.

"What?" she said, the corners of her lips curling up. "Something funny?"

"Not funny," I said, chuckling to myself. "Not funny so much as—" I cast my eyes to the ceiling for a moment. "You're doing okay, aren't you, Nozomi?"

"Hah, I'm glad somebody thinks so," she said, glancing at the phone. "You wanna tell Hikari that?"

"She's looking out for you."

"Trust me: I know it. But no amount of me telling her I'm safe and gonna be fine is gonna help it."

"Do you need me to chat with her? Seriously—about this?"

Nozomi lowered her sketchpad for a moment. She pursed her lips and tapped her pencil on the sketchpad's binding.

"No," she said after a moment's contemplation. "It's not gonna do any good, you know?" She went back to sketching. "So don't worry about it. It's not Hikari's fault, after all."

"Things are what they are," I said, nodding.

Nozomi's eyes flickered to me and then away, but she said nothing more on the matter. "So, Ikari."

"Hm?"

"Isn't this a bit of a long break for you?"

I flinched, and I shifted my weight in the flimsy plastic chair. "What do you mean?"

"Is this a social call, or is something up?"

"Oh, it's—it's uh—"

At that, she put the pad down altogether and raised both eyebrows. "Ikari."

I winced, looking aside. "I guess—I guess you could say it's just an old pilot being a worrywart in his own way, hm? I, uh—I just wanted to see if you were doing all right, but here you are, handling things—" I scratched the back of my head and shrugged. "Doesn't leave much for me to do, really, does it?"

Nozomi rolled her eyes. "Really? You're embarrassed about that?"

"Well, I—"

Shaking her head, Nozomi picked up her sketchpad again. "You've gotta stop worrying about this stuff, Ikari. If not for you, I'd still be on the phone with Hikari right now. So just in that, you're helping me out. Never mind that when I trained with the captain, it was all just—it wasn't fun, you know? I mean—I'm not saying piloting Eva is fun. It's just that guy's a little too clinical. You and me—we're actually a team."

I bowed my head. "I'm glad you think so."

"Why? I'm not letting you down, am I?"

"What?" I waved my hands frantically. "No—I—what did I say—?"

She cocked her head and raised her eyebrows. "Am I, Ikari?"

"No," I said, smiling to myself.

"Good. That matters to me, too, you know. I just try not to freak out about it, right?"

"Right," I said. "Thanks, Nozomi."

"Of course." She turned her sketchpad around and showed me a new sketch—one with a boy sitting at a cheap plastic desk, and if I must say, he looked like a nervous wreck and a fool. Thankfully, the artist didn't seem to hold this against him. "Ikari," she said, "even if we lose our next battle, I wanna see you looking like you just hit a home run in the Japan Series."

"You're into sports, too?"

"Nope!" she said with a shrug, and she went back to sketching. "So, if home runs are bad, then let's just come up with something else, okay?"

I laughed at that. "We'd be lost without you, Nozomi."

"You think so? That's…kinda worrying."

"Well, maybe I would be then, just a little." I rose from the uncomfortable seat. "I'm glad you're hanging in there."

She smiled briefly. "Finally gotta get back to work, huh?"

"Ye—yeah," I said. "Misato just held a briefing. Asuka has an idea, an experiment. I dunno how it's going to pan out."

"If it helps us win, I'm all for it. Anything I can help with?"

I froze in the doorway. I looked back at her, but she wasn't watching me. She closed her eyes and stretched her arms again, wincing with pain and soreness. Then, she did the same for her legs: she leaned all the way forward, straining herself to touch the tips of her toes.

She let out an exhausted breath after that, and only then did our eyes meet again. "Ikari?" she said.

"Oh, sorry," I said, bowing my head. "No, nothing you're needed for. I think we've got a handle on it, but I'll let you know." I paused. "Are you going to sleep—eventually?"

"Maybe," she said, shrugging again, albeit with a more pained expression. "See ya, Ikari."

"Take care, Nozomi," I said with a nod.

And I left her at that.

I turned a corner and went up a floor, and I picked up one of the wall-mounted phones.

"Hi, Asuka?" I said. "It's me. Nozomi isn't feeling too well. I think we should get a substitute—or actually…"

"Actually what now?" she asked.

"Instead of bothering another backup, is there something an old, washed-up pilot can do?"

Last edited:
Nozomi put the phone back to her ear. "Ikari says hi back, and for Soryu, too." A pause. "No, I don't know what it's about. Maybe he's come to make a woman out of me."
XD
I shrugged. "It worked for me, once upon a time."
It didn't really work for you, Shinji. It just filled time. You were a wreck at the end, remember? Think of how much nicer it would have been if you'd, say, talked to Asuka and both of you supported each other before things went totally to Hell? You missed out on hugs.

Back