Great to see you again, @TehChron. I hope you enjoy what's going on here.

Now, to the editing changelog:

1.6/Vision: tweaked Shinji testing his arm with the flashlight

2.6/Mirror Image:

Changes to unpublished material:
Part 3 rework:

The part 3 rework is now roughly complete. Remaining changes will likely be made during initial SV edit passes.
  • Misato is now uniformly referred to as General (not Colonel)
  • Suzuki is now uniformly referred to as Captain (not Lieutenant)
  • Changed the "hearing" to a "presentation" in 3.5/Progenitors
  • Shinji now goes home at the end of Progenitors, and he sees the news about Ishikawa on TV
  • Restored a scene between Shinji and Asuka before Shinji goes to confront Misato in 3.6/The Cross
  • Modified Shinji's scene with Misato to broach the matter of Ishikawa first (as it is soon after Shinji hearing of it in this version)
  • Fixed the name order for the reporter
  • Removed references to Shinji having leaked information to the reporter; he now only arranges for a meeting before Misato snuffs it out
  • Shinji and Nozomi now meet in his office
  • The conflict in 3.8/Faith now involves Japanese retaliation against the Chinese abduction of Ishikawa
  • Ishikawa now appears in the end scene of Faith

3.1/From Hell's Heart - initial SV edit pass:
  • Corrected some mentions of Zenunim to creatures, aliens, etc.
  • Spiked orbs now uniformly referred to as orbs (not balls, etc.)
  • Added a paragraph establishing the training scenario in the middle of the initial scene
  • Nozomi now scoffs at Shinji when he suggests he's not creative
  • Reworked some language about the next Angels' arrival
  • Added some language and dialogue about sausage
  • Removed latex \'e commands in "cafe"
  • Asuka now wants to go to the game shop for used Vita games, not Vitas

The Second Coming Part Three, "Cherry Blossoms in Faded Gold," will soon begin:

A terrorist attack on National Square inspires anger in Shinji and the Japanese public. They lash out against Seele and the Chinese government that has done little to root out Seele terrorists within their borders. Shinji joins Misato's efforts to capture Keel Lorenz, but a vision of the past convinces Shinji that he, and Misato, are following the footsteps of Lilith at the expense of themselves. He must convince Misato of this to unite mankind in solidarity before the rest of the Angels arrive.

3.1/From Hell's Heart tomorrow.

Last edited:
3.1 From Hell's Heart
Part Three: Cherry Blossoms in Faded Gold

13. From Hell's Heart

With the Angel dead, we relaxed for a time. The alien creatures were still out there, still a threat, but without the Angel's protection, they were little more than durable animals. They could get up from spectacular damage, but for each of them on Earth, there were hundreds of bullets primed and ready to fight them off.

So for a time, a short time, we let ourselves enjoy our victory.

After that…

"Eva-14, three targets incoming! Defend!"

The Eva scrambled behind an eight-story building, and a group of spiked orbs ground into the glass, plaster, and metal beams inside. The spiked orbs shot out from the impact craters and headed back where they came:

To a translucent, spider-like Angel, with dozens more orbs whirling around it in an impenetrable shell.

And then five of those orbs froze in place.

I jammed the switch on my headset microphone. "Positron Rifle ready!" I cried. "Prepare to fire!"

The Eva raised the weapon's sights to its eye. It braced itself against the crippled building.

"Fire!"

Unit-14 spun around the building corner, and five dazzling shots rang out like lightning bolts. They blinded the close-in camera; only the alternate, wide-shot feed showed the bolts cutting through the Angel's orbs. One, two, three, and four disintegrated, but the last shot grazed its target, which barreled toward the Eva, and—

The spiked orb stuck through the Eva's chest.

"Wow," said the girl beside me. "That's gotta sting a little." She leaned forward, placing her elbow on top of a blank, unruled page of a pad, and she pressed her thumb on her headset's transmit switch. "Hey, Sasaki—how does that feel?"

"Not too good." A boy with a bowl cut and sandy blond hair stared back at Nozomi through the monitor. He looked back at Nozomi with a sickly, pained gaze—and then he gaped. "Horaki…"

"Yeah?"

"Do you have your feet on the table?"

Nozomi sat with her bare feet on the corner of the cubicle's table. She wiggled her toes and said,

"Nope."

Our downtime was over. There were more enemies coming. It was only a matter of time, and not a day went by without more training exercises. It wasn't just Nozomi, either: Sasaki was but one of the other pilot candidates. Nozomi's battle experience was valuable—when she wasn't goofing around, anyway.

"All right, enough of that," I said. "Sasaki, you need to stay steady through that last shot. Angels are moving targets. They won't stay still for you."

"Okay, okay, I got it."

"And you've gotta adjust for the recoil," said Nozomi. "It's not a lot, but where does it tend to drift?"

"To the right," said Sasaki.

"To the right," said Nozomi. "So go take care of it, yeah?"

Sasaki looked ahead, forward in the entry plug and away from us. "Okay," he said. "I'll try to take care of it."

I moused over to an interface control panel on one of my monitors. "I'm going to start it again," I told him.

"All right. I'll do what I can." He tightened his grip on the Eva controls. "Ready."

I hit enter, and the Angel disappeared. The building morphed back into working order, and Unit-14 rematerialized half a kilometer across the battlefield.

"Again," I said. "Go!"

The Eva trotted across the pixellated, polygonal landscape. Rifle in hand, it peered around buildings and scanned the hills.

Nozomi took her headset off partway, and though she was leaning back, she started sketching on her pad. "Who's next? Terada?"

I nodded. "Terada. If he shows."

"He'd better. He's not gonna say he'll try to take care of the recoil."

"Tell his father that."

"Oh, I did."

I stared. "You did what?"

"I talked with his dad." Nozomi kept sketching. "Nice guy. Too bad he's a moron."

"You can't make people give up their children for this."

"No, you can't make people do the right thing, or the smart thing." She gestured with her pencil's eraser at the screen. "That's why this is a waste of time."

"You want to take care of this all by yourself?"

"Yeah?" she said with a shrug. "You think you can train someone like him?"

I sighed. "I don't know."

"You don't know very much, do you, Ikari?"

"I know my top pilot has a tongue as sharp as her pencil."

"Ooh, nice." Nozomi nodded in approval. "You're getting up to my speed, Ikari."

I shot her a look, but Nozomi didn't even bother to look back. She just smiled to herself and kept drawing new lines on her sketchpad, as though nothing in the world could be wrong.

That was a far cry from what was happening on the monitor. Sasaki and Eva-14 destroyed three of five targets—so Eva-14 limped away with spiked orbs through its chest and right leg.

"Sasaki, recoil," I said.

"Yeah, I know about the recoil! I just…" He threw the controls aside and hissed. "It's not so easy, you know!"

Nozomi put her pencil down and refit her headset speaker over her ear. "Not so easy? You don't say."

Sasaki looked aside, bowing his head. "Sorry, Horaki. Three mils on the scope, right?"

"Five for a rapid shot like that one."

"Five mils. Five. Okay." Sasaki nodded, and he gripped the controls once more. "Again, Ikari?"

The clock on the wall ticked the seconds by: a seven-segment display, showing twenty minutes to noon.

Twenty minutes to noon on 9/29.

"Why don't we take a break for lunch?" I said.

Sasaki was already halfway out of his seat restraints by the time the Angel and the landscape disintegrated into pixels and wireframed polygons. I started putting the console into standby mode, but Nozomi said,

"Hey, tell your lunch date Hikari wants to game store tomorrow."

I scoffed. "Why? Is there something new?"

Nozomi shrugged, all while working her pencil across the sketchpad. "Beats me. And remember, we've got a date, too."

"We do?"

Only that got Nozomi's eyes to leave the sketchpad. Two raised eyebrows told me uncertainty wasn't the right answer.

"All right, all right!" I said, laughing nervously. "What do I need? A sketchpad? Pencils? Erasers?"

"Stuff you're gonna find will be crap. I'll take care of the supplies. You just focus on what's important."

I pressed two fingers to my temple. "I'm not creative. I'm not an artist. The best I could do is go through the motions."

"It's not about being creative. Just try to capture something—something you think matters."

"How would I know what that is?"

She scoffed and shook her head. "You're better at that than you think, you know?"

I laughed, more to myself than to anyone else, and I gave her a short bow. "See you in a bit."

"Mm-hmm." She shot me a sidelong glance, picked up her pencil again, and started sketching again, feet still curled over the edge of the console's table. Hyuga would surely have something to say about that.

With that thought in mind, I left—at nineteen minutes to noon.

Nineteen minutes to noon on 9/29.

To that point, that day had been typical of most days since the Angel's death. There was a great deal of time spent training—training Nozomi, as the primary pilot, or training the small handful of backup pilots should she falter. And there was something out there. The largest telescopes on Earth were watching.

But for all that training, things had relaxed a bit on base. The control room was recording our training sessions, yes, but most of the staff had other duties to attend to. Not knowing when and where the enemy would return, it was natural—maybe inevitable—that we would settle into a pattern.

And I wasn't immune to that. Once a week, I would head out to lunch, leaving by way of the underground train. The blast door in the train tunnel would open every half hour for people to go back to National Square.

The train ride was uneventful, I was back in the square in short order; the only holdup was the guards wouldn't let us leave all at once, lest we attract attention.

It was a sunny day, so there were a lot of people out and about. The square was packed, bustling, lively. It's natural that there would be a lot of people there. It's a natural thing that anyone would've expected.

Most of all at five minutes to noon on 9/29.

I found my date by the trees at square's edge. She'd already claimed a stone table there, in the shadows where fewer people would notice us. I'd made the lunches, but she'd laid them out for both of us to eat. I remember she was too, too beautiful that day—in a tight red, buttoned shirt that didn't seem safe to wear around chemicals or corrosive fluids, but her labcoat wasn't far from her: a spare coat stuck out of her bag, though you might not have known it by just the small patch of cloth you could see.

"Your friends are back," she said, grinning, and she jerked her head toward the creek.

Sure enough, my "friends" were walking about the edge of the water: two geese and a group of goslings. I fished through our bag and pulled out a bag of seeds.

"Here you go," I said softly. "Come on!"

Most of the birds went after only the furthest flung seeds, but one gosling trotted up, closer to us, with one of the adults shadowing it from a short distance.

"Aren't they cute?" I said, beaming, and I offered the seed pouch to Asuka. "Come on, try it—just this once?"

She shook her head. "Birds really aren't my thing, unless they're on a plate."

"Asuka!"

"I'm serious! They smell; they make these terrible noises—" She put her water bottle down, watching me with both eyes. "Be careful, Shinji, or she might sucker you into taking her in."

"The gosling? The little goose?" I scoffed. "How do you even know it's a girl?"

She eyed the gosling carefully, as though it were a snake waiting to strike instead of a small goose trying to pick up seeds off the ground.

"Intuition," said Asuka, not even breaking her glare.

I folded my arms and raised an eyebrow. "Well, I think it's cute. What if I did want to take one in?"

At that, Asuka smiled slyly. "I'm not saying I oppose it categorically. I'm just saying if I were to allow such a thing, I expect…consideration."

"What—what kind of consideration?"

"Hm, maybe a real bed? Human beings were not made to sleep less than ten centimeters off the ground!"

"We've slept on the ground for at least ten thousand years!"

"And how many of those years did we actually have sausage, hm?" Asuka picked through her boxed lunch and munched on a piece of radish. "We were goddamn barbarians ten thousand years ago, and you know it! A civilization without real sausage or proper beds? Goddamn barbarians."

"I have real sausage for you, dear."

She grinned. "Like I said: goddamn barbarian."

I reached across the table and grabbed the corner of her boxed lunch. "That's right; I'm a barbarian, and if our kind of sausage isn't good enough for you, I'll just have some more."

She pulled back, wide-eyed. "Let—let's not be hasty here! Shinji!"

"Oh, no, it's the food of barbarians. It must not be worthy of you; I'll take care of it."

"No, it's mine!"

"Mine!"

Back and forth the box went, and in all that chaos, my elbow toppled Asuka's water bottle, drenching her from the waist down.

"Ah—" I stood there, frozen, staring, but Asuka?

She laughed.

"Well, I guess we both got a little carried away there," she said, pulling up her soaked pants from her skin. "We're gonna need some towels."

I overturned our bag for the lunches; there were some recycled paper napkins, but not nearly enough to deal with this mess.

Asuka rose, drying herself off as best she could. "I'll go to the cafe and get some more napkins. Stay here and watch our stuff? Play with the goslings; they're bound to leave town soon, right?"

I shook my head. "Asuka—everyone's going to notice you."

"As they should."

"I've got my glasses."

"Like that makes a difference when you have to push your way through the Diet cafe!"

I pulled out a pair of sunglasses and pulled the blue hood of my sweatshirt over my head, and I rose to go, but I gave her one more look.

"All right," she said with a sigh. "Sorry about this."

"It's okay. Just feed the gosling a little, won't you?"

Asuka nodded, and she dragged the seed pouch to her side of the table. She took a handful of seeds and tossed them—far, far from the table, so the nearby gosling and its parent trotted toward the creek again.

"And how's your gosling doing, anyway?" she asked.

"She's fine. She says you have to go to a game shop tomorrow?"

"Ah!" Asuka snapped her fingers. "They must have some used Vita games in. Awesome!"

Asuka threw another handful of seeds toward the geese, this time with a higher arc and wider spray, and I let her be with the geese. That one little gosling that stopped by? It watched me go for a while, only turning around when one of the parents herded it back to the rest of the group.

I think it's nice we could worry about such trivial things: about fighting over food for laughs, or taking care of some wild geese that probably wouldn't stick around later in the year, or the like.

You see, even though we knew more Angels would come, I think we were optimistic. We believed we would win. We had the Eva on our side. We had Misato and her vast expertise. And the Angels—they'd have to come to our world, beat our might and ingenuity with no place of respite to retreat to.

And we had Ayanami on our side. Ayanami, who watched over us.

Ayanami, who stared at us from a distance.

Ayanami, who stared at me right then.

Ayanami, who stared at me at one minute to noon on 9/29.

At one minute to noon on 9/29, with the wind rustling in the trees, the geese took flight and cried out for all their kin to follow.

Ayanami, of course, was ummoved by all of this. She stood before the National Diet Building, right at the base of the steps. Her eyes bored into me, and her head moved, side to side, not more than a centimeter in either direction.

I scanned the square for—what? There were people everywhere. People in suits, ties, or hats. SDF officers milled about near the fountain, with a couple Americans tossing coins in. Capitol police manned the top step of the Diet building, with metal detectors and who even knew what else waiting to scan, poke, and prod anyone going inside.

I looked back to Asuka, who had just gone back to her lunch. Still, she was watching me, though. She must've noticed I was looking back, for she rose from her seat. Her red top shined in the sunlight, and—

EEEEEEEE!

The sound didn't even register to my ears. I felt it more than I heard it. Once the blast reached me, I didn't hear anything at all.

Not the chatter of people in the square.

Not the cries of birds that fled the scene.

I heard none of these things. Just high-pitched hiss in my ears.

I stood, arms crossed over my face, as the National Diet Building bled smoke and flame.

I stood there while a dozen others around me had been flattened and shoved to the concrete walk beneath us.

I stood there with a wake of white concrete behind me, while everything else in front and to the sides carried a dark film of smoke and soot.

Ayanami was gone, but I was there, you see?

I was there at noon on 9/29.

Last edited:
The Angels going on the offensive? And whatever it was the geese had enough warning to take off a second ahead. Mysterious.

And the bits with Shinji and Asuka are very cute. :)

and not a day went by without more training exercises.

"You're better at that than you think, you know."

Shouldn't that need a question mark, as in you know?

Human beings were not made (to) sleep less than ten centimeters off the ground!"

"They must have some used Vita games in. Awesome!"

Welp. I'm happy to see I wasn't the only one suckered into buying one of those! :V

Not really. I've had enough good games for it to justify my purchase. And there's still at least one more in the pipeline coming soon! :)

Nice snippet. I'd expect that nothing terrible happened to the redhead who was calmly feeding the birds, right? :mad:

I haven't gotten through the entirety of this story yet, @Muphrid, but I just want tell you that what I have read so far is highly enjoyable.

I'm generally wary of NGE fics for many, many reasons, but this is a good one.

Also just to tell you how I came to read this story: whoever designed your ad deserves a big, sloppy kiss. I love its geometric design, truly eye-catching. That is one subscription well-spent.

Nice snippet. I'd expect that nothing terrible happened to the redhead who was calmly feeding the birds, right? :mad:

Without giving too much away now...not a chance. :p

I haven't gotten through the entirety of this story yet, @Muphrid, but I just want tell you that what I have read so far is highly enjoyable.

I'm generally wary of NGE fics for many, many reasons, but this is a good one.

Also just to tell you how I came to read this story: whoever designed your ad deserves a big, sloppy kiss. I love its geometric design, truly eye-catching. That is one subscription well-spent.

Thank you very much. I'm happy to hear someone else is enjoying the story.

I did the grunt work of putting together the banner myself, but I must give due credit to the folks in Advertising banners for critique and improvement, particularly @Nemuikougi for bringing up the broad inspiration for the design and @defenestrator for giving a great deal of feedback. It was a big help.

Nozomi put her pencil down and refit her headset speaker over her ear.
How does anyone even hear her? :p
I stood there with a wake of white concrete behind me, while everything else in front and to the sides carried a dark flim of smoke and soot.
I assume you mean 'film'?
The Angels going on the offensive? And whatever it was the geese had enough warning to take off a second ahead. Mysterious.

And the bits with Shinji and Asuka are very cute. :)
Nah, sounded more like a mortar round.

I'm guessing Seele.

Mkay, more than a little bit. :p

I really enjoy writing Nozomi's character. It's an interesting puzzle to construct a character who doesn't fit a neat, established archetype. Nozomi's snarky, but she's also subdued and easygoing. She doesn't respect traditional structures of authority--perhaps too much, I've thought of late, for it seems inevitable that someone would've slapped her (literally or figuratively) to put her in line--but she doesn't go out of her way to disrespect them, or subvert them. She's got this stubbornly independent quality to her that I like getting into when I write her.

I admit I had a brief crisis when I saw some quasi-official art of the Horaki sisters--the first I'd ever seen.

Now, art is just art, but still, I look at this, and I wonder: who are Nozomi and Kodama supposed to be? Is Nozomi supposed to be a bit of a tomboy, impish and bursting with energy? Is Kodama supposed to be matronly and dutiful? Or do what we see here belie potential depth for their characters?

In any case, I started writing Nozomi before anyone started drawing that art, so at some point, I decided that I was here first. :p

I admit I had a brief crisis when I saw some quasi-official art of the Horaki sisters--the first I'd ever seen.

Now, art is just art, but still, I look at this, and I wonder: who are Nozomi and Kodama supposed to be? Is Nozomi supposed to be a bit of a tomboy, impish and bursting with energy? Is Kodama supposed to be matronly and dutiful? Or do what we see here belie potential depth for their characters?
About all we know about Kodama from canon is she was willing to lean on Hikari to beg Asuka to go on that blind date with a guy Kodama (owed a favor/knew/got asked because they knew her sister went to school with the hot new foreign girl) [It's not clear]. And the official art is Rebuild-derived, so who know how much it applies to Series, etc? From the outfit, Kodama's a waitress, and IIRC she's also a college student. So... that's all we've got, really.

About all we know about Kodama from canon is she was willing to lean on Hikari to beg Asuka to go on that blind date with a guy Kodama (owed a favor/knew/got asked because they knew her sister went to school with the hot new foreign girl) [It's not clear]. And the official art is Rebuild-derived, so who know how much it applies to Series, etc? From the outfit, Kodama's a waitress, and IIRC she's also a college student. So... that's all we've got, really.

That the guy was an acquaintance of Kodama's does make me think, if he is a similar age of Kodama, then Kodama must not be that much older than Hikari (or else it would be odd for him to take Asuka on a date). That has some implications for the background I'm using here, albeit not in a material way.

That the guy was an acquaintance of Kodama's does make me think, if he is a similar age of Kodama, then Kodama must not be that much older than Hikari (or else it would be odd for him to take Asuka on a date).
Not really. For Japanese that's not a stretch. In Sailor Moon, IIRC, Usagi is about Asuka's age (middle school) and Mamoru is in college*, and that's a far more serious relationship than just a date.

Editing changelog:

3.1/From Hell's Heart: resolved outstanding minor issues

Changes to unpublished material:
3.2/Ground Zero

• Tweaked Asuka running to Shinji's aid
  • Added some explanation of the man's necklace
  • Cut down on Shinji's description of the wounded
  • Asuka is now much gentler in trying to calm Shinji down
  • Added a reminder that Shinji saw Rei
  • Cut down on Asuka trying to be overly playful with Shinji to cheer him up
  • Reworked the Chinese premier's speech; he is less conciliatory
  • Added some action description during Shinji's scene at the ambassador's house
  • Added some text around description of the cherry blossom
  • Misato is slightly more motherly, and Shinji correspondingly a little more "childish"

3.2/Ground Zero tomorrow.

Last edited:
3.2 Ground Zero
14. Ground Zero

What I remember most about that day—about the first minute after the bombing—was the stillness.

My ears rang, drowning everything else out. Neither screams nor sirens reached me, so the scene there played out like a silent film.

Some people picked themselves up off the square's concrete surface, and they limped toward the nearest road. Others streamed out of the other buildings—the Defence Agency, the Public Safety Bureau, and the like. They formed a procession in neat, orderly lines, headed by their bosses, as though it were a mere evacuation drill.

"Shinji!"

Asuka grabbed me by the shoulders, and I jolted, heart racing.

"Are you hit?" she asked.

I shook my head. "No…"

"You sure?"

I nodded, and Asuka let out a breath. "Jeez, you scared me!" she said, laughing with relief. Her hands curled around my shoulders, but her eyes flickered past me, and she paled. "My God…"

Breaking away, Asuka laid down her bag and unzipped it, and she crouched next to a man not two meters away from me. The man was awake and wide-eyed. He was alive.

He had to be, for the blood was still pulsing out of his chest.

Asuka went to a knee and cradled the man's head. "Hello, sir? Sir? Are you with me?"

The man nodded weakly, and he coughed. Blood sputtered to his lips. "Not for much longer, maybe," he said.

"I wouldn't say that just yet!" Asuka ripped at his shirt, tearing off the buttons, and she flicked his tie aside. The wound was somewhere on his lower torso, but in the mess of blood, it was hard to make out the exact spot.

"Shinji, I need some cloth!"

I stared at that bloody mess. I felt my cheeks and my chest. I took a deep breath. The air went in an out. It wasn't even a struggle. It all happened without an ounce of effort.

"Shinji!"

"Hm? What?" I said.

"Cloth! We've got to stop the bleeding!"

I sat down next to the bag and fished through it for something, anything. The only thing it carried that was helpful? Asuka's white labcoat.

"Are you serious?" cried Asuka.

I balled up the labcoat and stuffed it back in the bag, and I yanked off my sweatshirt instead. Asuka pressed it against the man's wound, and the blood seeped into the green fabric, turning it a dark, sickly color.

"Agh," the man moaned. "It hurts…"

"It's gonna hurt until they can look at you," said Asuka. "You might still have some shrapnel inside, so try not to move, you understand?"

The man closed his eyes, nodding ever-so-slightly. "I guess I'm lucky it isn't worse…"

I took one of the water bottles out of the bag and offered the man a sip. "Lucky?" I said.

"Lilith must've been watching over me."

I drew the water bottle away, and I saw it: the man's silver necklace, shaped like half a face with a dark eye. You could go to the crater where Tokyo-3 used to be, and you'd see a face like that staring back at you from the water. The government let people camp out on the beach and hold rallies, distribute texts…

Or make necklaces.

"I could've been halfway up the Diet steps," the man went on, laughing to himself. "I dropped my briefcase on the way out of the train, and all my papers went everywhere. If not for that—"

"That was a coincidence," I said, dabbing at the man's mouth to take the blood away.

"Why do you say that?"

I caught the man's eye and stared him down. "Maybe Lilith was watching over someone, but it wasn't you. She let this happen. She let people do this. And you know what happened?"

"Shinji—" said Asuka.

"You can't see it right now," I said, gesturing to the rest of the square, "but there are a lot more people out here, and that's just who I can see—"

"Shinji!"

Asuka grabbed the water bottle in my hand, and her little finger came to rest over mine.

"Maybe you want to take it easy for a bit," Asuka said softly. That was a torture. With the hum in my ears, I could hardly be sure that's what she said at all, but the pained look on her face was clear enough.

I went aside, sat with my head down, and waited.

I waited for the police to arrive and secure the scene.

I waited for the paramedics to follow them and make their rounds—first to the critically wounded, then to those less injured, then to even Asuka and me, unharmed as we were. Even the two of us couldn't escape examination, couldn't escape their questions. "How close were you to the blast? Do you feel anything in your chest or airway?" You see, a blast can injure you without leaving a mark. The pressure can tear you up inside, and you might not even realize it.

Only after that were we allowed to leave the square. The police asked us questions, of course. Did we see anything? Anything out of the ordinary? I told them I was on my way to the cafe, and that I stopped for a moment because I thought I'd forgotten something. Nothing like Rei Ayanami could've appeared in front of me. That would just sound crazy and suspicious.

They let us go home after that. Of course, there was no easy way from the square at that point. The trains were closed, and the streets were jammed with patients still in need of triage. The police were kind enough to offer us a ride home, but we could've walked faster, really. Between the tents on the street for triage, the ambulance procession leaving the scene, and the two dozen police cars establishing a barricade around the square entrances, getting back home was no easy feat.

The first thing we did when we got home? We bagged up our clothes. I never got my sweatshirt back, but my undershirt bore spots from the man's coughs. Asuka had it worse: though she'd rolled up her sleeves, blood had found a way to her pants and the end of her shirt. All of it had to go.

"It's the one time maybe I should've worn a skirt to the lab, hm?" Asuka remarked.

"I guess." I took the bag and tossed my own clothes in as well.

Asuka shot me a sidelong glance. "Shinji."

"What?"

"I'm making dinner."

The bag slipped from my grasp. "You want to do what?"

"You heard what I said." Asuka was in her yellow pajamas by then, and she started tying an apron around her waist. "How does it look?"

"It looks fine. Now get the other apron; I'm helping."

"You are not!" She wagged a finger at me. "Sit down. Be a good boy."

I scoffed. "Am I a dog now?"

"That might be fun." Asuka smiled slyly, setting up behind the kitchen counter. "Come on. Put something on TV and relax."

I shook my head, pulling on my hair. "I can't do that, Asuka. I—I just—I can't. Let me help with dinner."

Hands on her hips, Asuka looked me up and down. "All right," she said. "You can help. A little."

I helped a lot. I did want to eat well that night, after all. Teaching Asuka the finer points of cooking would take more time than that.

We did eat well, as well as we could in those days. Asuka didn't hesitate to break out the catfish fillet, and we made tempura. I tried to keep things simple for her: measuring ingredients, mixing up the tempura batter, and the like. Chemistry and cooking, I learned, aren't so different in that respect.

And it took over an hour. That was an hour spent worrying about cracking eggs and cutting the fish into evenly sized pieces—instead of worrying about anything else.

But those worries weren't far from our home, either. Once dinner was served, we turned on the TV to fill the apartment with some life, but as we scanned through the channels, we found images of the bombing, counts of casualties, and the like. Asuka didn't want to deal with that for very long, and she flipped through the channel list to find anything else to watch.

She skipped past an image of a triangle with five eyes.

"Wait!" I cried, and my chopsticks clattered down on my plate.

Asuka sighed, but she hit down on the remote. The emblem returned to the screen, with a news anchor saying,

"…fighters have claimed responsibility for the attack, though these claims are uncomfirmed at this time. Nevertheless, the bombing has spurred increased pressure on the Chinese government to scour the unsecured, occupied territory of Myanmar for militant groups. Chinese president Chen Zhu issued remarks earlier today, downplaying the need for extra security…"

A round-faced man in a black suit stood before a podium, and as he spoke in Chinese, a translator said,

"The security situation in the Myanmar Territory is not ideal, but we are confident we can cleanse the region of these vile terrorists and alien worshippers who seek little more than destruction and nothingness." The general secretary shifted his weight, cleared his throat, and went on, saying, "Their ideas are repugnant and dangerous, and we will destroy these cretins and make their ideas die with them. We need no outside assistance to do this. Germany, Japan, and the United States should worry about their Evangelion units. After all, that's what they've trusted themselves with."

Asuka scoffed, and she hit the mute button. "Yeah, right," she said, and she munched on a piece of fried fish. "If you were going to take care of it, you would've done it a long time ago." She hissed. "Can you believe those people? Idiots, right?"

I watched the TV screen as the Chinese president kept talking, even though I couldn't know what he was saying.

"Yeah," I said. "Unbelievable."

We went to bed soon after that. We didn't have much choice, really. All our work was still at the base, and while we could pass time by reading, making music, or the like, none of that really felt right.

But lying in bed with incessant buzzing in your ears? That wasn't a great idea, either. It left me staring at the ceiling, into the formless, shifting void of retinal cells misfiring. At least they were firing. At least I was still alive.

It's not enough to just be alive.

I got up. I slid out from under Asuka's arm. I felt the carpet between my toes. I put on a blue hooded sweatshirt and clipped my sunglasses to the collar. I headed downstairs, and when the security guard in the lobby asked where I was going, I said,

"To work. I had to leave some things with all the commotion today. Can't sleep. Might as well be productive."

The guard narrowed his eyes. "Be safe, sir."

I nodded and thanked him, and I went out. I caught a cab, and while the driver did a double-take at a boy in a hood and sunglasses, he shook off the surprise and asked me, "Where to?"

"Embassy Row," I said.

Embassy Row was one of those shiny new neighborhoods—a place all to itself, with the buildings and homes boasting expansive grounds. Even after old Tokyo was destroyed, Japan still desired prestige and respect from the international community. It offered vast tracts of land for foreign governments to use as they wished, and they took advantage. You could count on a formal party happening on Embassy Row every week, with suits and ties, alcohol dating back no less than a hundred years, and hors d'ourves enough to feed a homeless man for two months straight.

And that hadn't changed after Third Impact, either. Though property was widely available, the reconstituted government was quick to kick out squatters in ambassadorial residences. Those houses' gates never went long without a new paint job, and an army of groundskeepers worked those lawns and gardens as though the fate of the world rested on trimming a few ill-behaved bonsai.

The Chinese ambassador's residence was no different than the others in this respect. The pool on the side of the house was a favorite gathering spot during his parties, but it was cramped and dangerous. A drunk Argentine diplomat had once knocked Asuka into the pool because there wasn't enough space to walk around. But the ambassador was very fond of that pool, enough to keep it well lit even in the dead of night.

It was by those cool blue lights that I found my way to the residence's gate, and I rang the buzzer inside the corner of the surrounding stone wall.

"Yes?" said the voice on the other end.

"I'd like to speak with the ambassador, please."

"…it's midnight, sir."

"I know that. With as much as I had to pay the cab, you'd think I'd know that, right?"

"The ambassador is unavailable," said the voice on the other end of the line.

I hunted around the gate's entranceway. There was a dark, glassy dome at the top. I looked right at it, took off my hood and sunglasses, and said,

"Do you know who I am?"

"…the ambassador is still unavailable. If you would like to speak with him, you can make an appointment with his secretary. Office hours are 0700 to 1900—"

"I don't want an appointment in the morning!" I slammed the side of my fist on the archway. "I want one now!"

Silence. The red light on the intercom panel turned on as I pressed the button, but there was no answer.

"Hello?"

No answer.

"Hello!"

No answer. Not a light came on in the house. I was just left there, at the gate, with impassable silence. I wasn't even worth the breath of someone to argue against me.

"Hey!" I yelled, and I kicked the gate. "You can't do this! You murderers! Come out and face me! Come out and face the people you've killed!"

A pair of lights came on behind me, and a car pulled up to the curb. Two figures got out of the car; they pinned me down with flashlights, and a lightbar painted the street in a red strobe effect.

"What's the problem here?" said one of the officers.

I brushed a couple stray hairs from my face, standing straight and tall. "I'm here to speak with the ambassador."

The officer and his partner looked at each other, and the second officer said, "Do you have business with him? At this hour?"

"I do. It's urgent business."

"What business is that?" she asked.

I pointed through the gate. "I need to talk to him about the people he's killed!"

"Ikari, would you come with us, please?" The first officer lowered his flashlight, letting me see his face. "We'll give you a ride home."

I shook my head, and I faced the gate once more. The gate itself was wrought iron, and along the top of the stone wall and the gate itself, there were no defensive measures—no razor wire, nothing. Crossbars on the gate were obvious points to make a foothold.

I grabbed one of the bars and climbed.

"Ikari, stop!" cried the female officer. "If you continue, you'll be trespassing on property of the Chinese government. We will be forced to intervene."

I climbed up another step. "Do what you have to do."

And they did. A hand ripped me from the gate, and a pair of arms caught me, binding me like a bear trap. The officers pinned me against the stone entryway and wrenched my wrists behind my back.

"Agh, stop it!" I cried. "I didn't—I didn't do anything!"

They responded with an elbow planted firmly in the small of my back. That held me in place, and two cold steel cuffs bound my wrists together. The officers dragged me to the cruiser and forced my head down to fit me inside. They fit me in there like a monkey going into a cage.

I cast one more glance at the ambassador's residence, and I lay down in the back seat of the cruiser. It was, strangely enough, easier to rest there than at home. The lightbar had a high-pitched hum about it that dwarfed the ringing in my ears, and as the officers radioed back for instructions, it was like falling asleep to a TV drama—to a story.

That's what children do, after all, isn't it?

They wake up, and they get dressed, but the parents take care of breakfast, of putting a roof over their heads, and the like. Parents take care of all the important things. Children just play in a sandbox of what parents allow them to do. There's not much that can be made out of sand, except a big mess. And that just means someone has to come clean up after them.

I was no exception to that. Someone came to clean up after me, too.

She came in her fancy car, something that had been modern only forty years before. She was in uniform when she arrived, and as she spoke with the police officers, the officers' flashlight beams reflected off her hat. The emblems there gleamed in the light: the ivy branch and the cherry blossom in the shape of a star, a cherry blossom in faded gold.

It's said that the use of a cherry blossom for a star represents the fragility of those who serve in SDF. Those people should be admired for their service, for that service could be snuffed out in a heartbeat, just as cherry blossoms are ephemeral in the springtime. But to me, a cherry blossom represents all the time spent cultivating the tree, selecting for the right genes, and providing the water and nutrients for it to flower. People, too, are products of all that is put into them.

She definitely was. Whatever she'd been before, she'd become the woman who could wear that hat and represent it well.

"I'm sorry he's caused you trouble," she told the officers. "He's been through a lot today; I hope that's understandable."

"Whether it's understandable or not, it's our duty to protect the ambassador's residence," said the female officer. "Just keep him away from here, and it's fine. Is that something we can trust to you, General?"

"Of course." The woman in green clicked her heels together. "You have my word as an officer."

The policewoman opened the cruiser door and undid the cuffs. They presented me to Misato, and they went on their way.

Only when the cruiser was out of sight did Misato speak to me. She clicked her tongue in displeasure, saying, "Well, look at you—making me get all dressed up at this time of night. Usually when I get dressed for a man I get a happier time than this."

"I'm sorry," I said, and I plopped into the passenger seat of her car. "I'll make dinner next time."

She scoffed, shaking her head, and she closed the door behind me. She climbed into the driver seat, but she spun her keyring around her finger, staring down the road.

"You know…"

I leaned against the armrest, away from her. "What?"

"What did you think you'd accomplish here?"

"I'm sorry."

"That's not what I'm asking."

"I'm sorry, okay?" I turned my back to her, facing out the window. "I just want to go home and forget about it."

"It is stupid, you know—to go yelling at a gate in the middle of the night."

"I get that!" I said, propping my chin up with my arm as I looked away.

"But that's not as stupid as protecting some territory you claimed from the outside world, even as goddamn terrorists take up residence there, all because you're too embarrassed to ask for help."

I looked at her from the side. "Some people don't see it that way."

She caught her keys in hand and started the car. The engine hummed, and the lights on the instrument display came to life. "Well, they're wrong, but if you want to change their thinking—"

She revved the engine, but we went nowhere.

"Ah, sorry. Always forget to take off the brake."

She disengaged the parking brake, but with her hand hovering on the gear shifter, she said,

"If you want to change their thinking," she went on, "you have to do more than just make a lot of noise, you know?"

I buckled my seat belt. "What do you have in mind?"

"Are you really interested in the answer?" she said, eyes on the road, impassive, focused.

I looked down the road, too. My ears rang still, with that incessant high-pitched hum that blared through them no matter how I turned my head, but the car's engine competed with that sound. It was a solid undertone while that ringing in my ears by itself was nothing but a distraction. The engine was like music by comparison.

It was noise with a purpose.

"I'm willing to listen," I said.

Misato smiled to herself. "That's my boy," she said, and she shifted the car into first to take us away.

Last edited:
Damn, Shinji. That really wasn't the best of ideas; good thing Misato was probably as awake as you were when the call came in.

Didn't find any typos this time around. Good work. :)

Nothing like Rei Ayanami could've appeared in front of me. That would just sound crazy and suspicious.
Yeah... crazy....

I scoffed. "Am I a dog now?"

"That might be fun." Asuka smiled slyly, setting up behind the kitchen counter.
Kinky, Asuka... :D
Also, a nicely subtle way to show how she's changed. She's comfortable even making a joke like that to Shinji, and doing so as a way to try and take his mind off the attack.
I got up. I slid out from under Asuka's arm.
Damn it, Shinji. You're not alone. Don't just leave in the middle of the night to do something stupid. Talk to her. Or Misato. You think either of them will ever not listen to you? You don't have to bear the weight of the whole world on your shoulders alone anymore.

And... the attack.
On August 11th, 2007, I had a close encounter with a 107mm rocket that had been fired at my base in Baghdad, FOB Rustamiyah. I escaped being hit by anything but concrete shrapnel and blast, but I didn't get away uninjured. I had a fairly good concussion, and was mostly deafened, though I didn't know that until the next morning, when my soldiers informed me I'd spent the rest of the evening shouting at everyone. I thought I was speaking normally. My head felt like an overpressurized balloon, and my ears like they were full of cotton. The concussion was like a week-long hangover: severe headaches, blurred vision, inability to focus mentally, and nausea. Another guy in my unit who had a similar injury described it like 'you feel like you've got a too-tight glass fishbowl on over your head, and everything has to filter through that.'

With most stories I write, I do an author's notes series. Typically, these are on a chapter by chapter basis. With shorter chapters for this story, and with a desire to discuss elements without regard to chronological order, I'm thinking about pursuing a topical author's notes series instead.

The topics I have in mind are, in no particular order,

Background topics:
  • History of The Coming of the First Ones and The Second Coming: goals for the original piece, ideas dating back to "Before and After," the reasoning for a full rewrite, what I want to accomplish with this piece
  • What's new in The Second Coming: setting and structural changes, reshuffling of arcs, etc.

Worldbuilding:
  • Planet Earth in 2018: discussion of post-Instrumentality depictions, elements discarded from First Ones
  • Project Manoah: the new Eva project, the mountain base and control room, etc.
  • The FAR and the mythology of Evangelion

Plot, Structure, and Narrative Techniques:
  • On first-person narration: use of unreliable narration, perception vs. reality, discussion of thoughts vs. depiction
  • Environment and ambiance: making the environment work with reader's state of mind
  • Pacing and payoff: making a story feel worthwhile to read
  • Symbolism for various characters
  • Story arcs and the "three-ordeal structure"

Character Focus: Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Misato, Nozomi, and our hooded stranger friend who is yet to be named

I'd be interested to hear if this is something that strikes people as worthwhile, and if so, whether there are other topics people feel worth discussion.

I like the idea as well. I'm interested in this sort of behind-the-scenes thing for the stories I'm invested in, and it could prove a good source to take some notes from. ;)

Back