JPop is back? Or should that be 'idle'?
I scoffed, turning away. "Why shouldn't I? It was stupid from the start. Just because I was a pilot before doesn't mean I can help her."
God dammit, Shinji. Yes you can.
"No," I said, watching Nozomi's every step. "It doesn't matter what I do."
Shinji, your choice saved the entire world from permanently being Tang. Why do you think people write you those letters? Your choices do have meaning. You may not like the destiny that gave you that power, but that is the life you have.
"Of the four knowledgeable races, each has brought itself to the brink of destruction. We annihilate each other with atomic power. The Zenunim? They fought genocidal wars with viruses tailored to the genes of their enemies. Such destruction is inevitable. Life itself is destructive. We are only trying to save humanity from itself—and we must."
He knows of some of the other races that sprang from the Seeds? Interesting. Looks like there was more in the Dead Sea Scrolls that we knew...

Also, damn it, why isn't that evil bastard dead yet, Misato? And Jeebus, is pulling up in a Jeep to preach this garbage at Nozomi at this point a truly despicable move.
No new messages—that was always a welcome sight. If only life were like an answering machine, right? Then you could wipe the past away and start anew whenever you wanted.
....Misato would punch you right now, Shinji, surrogate son or no.
"Ikari? Well, this is a surprise. I thought you didn't want to talk to people right now."

Her voice cut through me like a knife. I laughed it off nervously.
You deserved that.

Honestly, with the rambling about blood, piss, and such at the beginning, I wonder if Shinji was drunk. It would fit with the rest of what he's apparently been doing for a week: running away and hiding, this time in place. I wonder if Asuka's been sleeping on base, either because she's working or because Shinji's being... this.

JPop is back? Or should that be 'idle'?

JPop is back! No doubt contributing wildly dissonant music for Eva propaganda.

Honestly, with the rambling about blood, piss, and such at the beginning, I wonder if Shinji was drunk. It would fit with the rest of what he's apparently been doing for a week: running away and hiding, this time in place. I wonder if Asuka's been sleeping on base, either because she's working or because Shinji's being... this.

He's in a very weird mental place, that's for sure, and Asuka will definitely have something to say about it.

Thanks again, Strypgia.

Looking good. Drunk Shinji is even more of an idiot than regular Shinji. Here's to hoping Asuka will set him straight when she, a) ends her days-long shift and finds out about it or, b) is fed up with his attitude and kicks him in the balls somewhere she doesn't still need.
"Then you would forsake her even that?"
I think you mean 'deny', there.
"Is that—is that supposed to make keep going the way I am?"
Pretty sure that should be 'make me keep going'.

Banner ad update: right now leaning toward something like this...

Thinking about using that for an epub cover, if I feel inclined enough to muck around with my scripts and make some xhtml and all that.

Editing changelog:

2.4/Fugue: Wording changes as per @Ranma-sensei (#53)

Changes for unpublished material and tools:
2.5/Sisters: initial edit pass
  • Removed an extraneous latex \c command
  • Hikari is somewhat more subdued, consistent with previous edits throughout part 2
    • Shinji's bleeding scene reworked slightly as a result; Hikari is more composed
  • Refactored mentions of the other family that used to live with the Horaki
  • Cleaned up a confusing section after Shinji asks Hikari about Nozomi; not clear what this was supposed to do, but now should be easier to follow
  • Broke up some long paragraphs, especially in Hikari's story
  • Fixed an erroneous double quote during Hikari's story
  • Expanded on Hikari's reaction to Nozomi walking in on her
  • Refactored and shortened Nozomi's apology
  • Added some body language throughout
  • Fixed the appearance of Rei and REDACTED in the rice paddy, using the hooded stranger image instead of the ghost of Gendo image

2.6/Mirror Image: fixed a missing ellipsis command during the German countdown

6.5/REDACTED: Added a note about Lorenz's remark concerning the Zenunim and their use of biological warfare.

strip-tex: added chapter and part command parsing support for markdown output

Edit: The first post now includes most chapter titles, as well as summaries for parts one and two.

2.5/Sisters on Thursday.

Last edited:
Okay, caught up. Things have definitely gone downhill in pretty much all fronts, haven't they? I didn't notice any mistakes or improvements that haven't been mentioned already, or at least I don't think I did.

What's the ETA for the Teutonic knock-some-sense-into-Shinji smackdown, by the way? :p

Really soon, I hope. Depressed, possibly drunk Shinji retreating into 'this is all my fault' mode, hiding from everyone, not bathing, and (even more worrying if you know him) not even cleaning up the house? That's has all got to be screaming at Asuka "Shinji is not okay, and needs you".

Asuka and Misato will have words for him, definitely, but I think Rei has already done the work of convincing him to get back into things. They're just gonna remind him that what he did was not healthy, and not conducive to fighting a war against Angels--it's not something they can humor again.

2.5 Sisters
11. Sisters

Why did you become an Eva pilot?

I've heard that question a lot—sometimes even from my own lips.

Some people want to hear that I chose to save the world. Nothing could be further from the truth. There's a huge difference between knowing what the right thing to do is and having the courage and temerity to do it. And even if it's right to be an Eva pilot, right to try to save the world, that doesn't mean it's wrong not to be one. Or at least, it's no so wrong. If there's someone else who can do it almost as well, and if they want to do it more than you do, then why not?

But I did become an Eva pilot. Maybe I would've felt like scum if I made someone else do it instead—especially if that person were bloodied and weak. But, looking back on that, I realize now I was manipulated. You see, my father may have needed me to be an Eva pilot, but that's not the same as wanting me. When you're wanted, people try to please you and validate your efforts. When you're only needed, validation like that is just a tactic that can be employed. When that need is merely material, there's no way you can feel wanted, and if you refuse to do what's asked of you, those people who need something will find a way to make you give it up.

Children can't always recognize that. No, adults don't always recognize that, either. It's one of the easiest ways to manipulate someone, though: if you can convince someone they're wanted even when they're not, they'll do anything.

They'll climb into a monstrous machine and fight for you.

They'll face horrors from beyond and expose their souls for you.

And the worst part of all that?

If they think you want them badly enough, they'll do all of this with a smile on their face. If you call them up and just say, "You did a good job," they'll take on ten time that much suffering in a heartbeat.

My father, you see—he was a master of that.

And maybe that's just the nature of people: we often invest ourselves in others without getting back exactly what we want.

"Isn't that a bit warm?"

Such were the first words from Hikari Horaki's mouth when I showed up on her doorstep.

I can't blame her for them, really. It was thirty degrees outside, and there I was in a green hood, with sweat running down my face.

The only solace there was the long shadow the building cast over me. The Horaki home was a large, squareish building with thin, white, painted blocks making up its facade. It stood clean and pure on a street corner while the house across from it bore the scars of time: broken windows, peeled paint, and more. Most of the houses in Azumino were like that one, not like the Horaki family's.

Then again, I expect most homes weren't maintained by people like Horaki.

"Ah, forgive me," she said, a little color coming to her cheeks. She stepped aside, making the doorway clear. "Please, come in. Nozomi's gone out, so it should be just the two of us. Sister won't be off work for an hour at least."

I peeled off my hood and sunglasses and stepped in. The wooden floor of the entryway gleamed, and my hand left fingerprints on the steel door handle. All that could only be the former class rep's work, and when I reached the main room, I saw more of the same: spotless white carpet, seat cushions that were perfectly circular, and framed sketches and photos that lined up level within fractions of a degree.

Her sister Kodama may have been the breadwinner of the house, but the middle sister maintained it with meticulous care. Indeed, no sooner did I sit down than Horaki had ducked into the kitchen and returned with a tray of tea, traditional sweets, and a warm, damp towel.

"Sorry, Ikari, but you're bleeding." She scratched at her own neck and offered the towel.

Frowning, I wiped up and down my throat and found the cloth stained a faded red. I folded up the used towel, which she took away just as quickly.

"Did you cut yourself?" she asked from the kitchen.

"I must've," I said, feeling the smooth skin of my cheeks. "Sorry about that."

"Don't worry about it. It means you're ready to help Nozomi, right?"

Indeed, as soon as she came back from washing her hands, she bombarded me with a barrage of thoughts on the matter:

"So, where do we begin?" She pulled a notepad from under the table. "I know Nozomi is stubborn, but she does listen to reason. Just knowing that you've come here should help convince her you're serious about this. She needs to understand that people can have a tough time coping with this sort of thing." She nodded to herself, proud of her own thoroughness. "If Nozomi can grasp that, then I don't think there should be any problem with you two working together again."

I sat frozen, eyes wide, holding my teacup a centimeter from my lips.

"No?" Horaki blinked, and she put the notepad down. "You don't think so?"

I cleared my throat and set the teacup aside. "Sorry, it's not that. I'm not here to talk about getting back in Nozomi's good graces—though I do think I'll need to do that, at some point."

She closed the notepad and slid it under the table, eyeing me curiously. "What did you want to talk about, then?"

"Do you remember the last battle—the one in Germany?"

"Of course."

"The Angel paralyzed Nozomi with something—some sort of vision, something that penetrated her mind."

Horaki looked to her left, and she scooted a couple centimeters away from the table.

"Do you know what that could be?" I asked.

Her eyes locked on me. "Why do you want to know?"

"It's something the Angel could use against her again," I said, leaning forward, "or it's something another Angel could use against her, too."

Horaki pressed two fingers to her temple and closed her eyes. "Yes, and?"

I glanced aside, and I said, "Nozomi told me you had something to do with it."

"She did not!" Horaki's eyes snapped open, and she sat straight and tall. "She absolutely did not! She wouldn't."

I stared back at her, saying nothing, and Horaki let out a breath, composing herself. "Honestly…" she muttered, shaking her head. "Is this really what you want to do?" Her eyes hardened, and she stared me down. "You want to come into our house, take the unpleasantness we've buried in the past, and put it all out on the driveway for everyone to see? Is that what Nozomi wants to do?"

I winced. "Okay, no, not exactly…"

"It isn't?"

"No. I mean, I don't know. But she didn't do anything to make me think so."

Horaki eyed me through a narrowed gaze, raising an eyebrow. "If you hadn't said that, I'd have thought you were taking after your father."

I winced at that, and I looked away. Horaki refilled our cups, and for a while, that was all to be heard between us. I looked anywhere but her, really. I rubbed at a strip of stainless steel on the table, smearing a spot away. The lights in that room were so very white—blue, I think they say, but only to mean that it's not yellow, not like the sun.

"Is it cold in here?" I remarked.

Horaki put her cup down and nodded. "It is, a little. It's the way it was when we got here, unfortunately. Not a lot of people around who can fix a thermostat without making a bigger mess."

"You might be able to find a working one elsewhere."

"Perhaps." Horaki sipped her tea, thinking for a moment. "But that's a bit unseemly—crawling through other people's houses trying to take what they don't use anymore. It's not so bad. We make do with what we have."

I nodded. "You could say that about a lot of things."

At that, she let out a small laugh. "I suppose so. A home, family, friends—sometimes you end up with things you didn't expect."

"Like you and Asuka?"

A tinge of color came to her cheeks. "I wouldn't say that. We're not so different."

I raised an eyebrow and stifled a smile. "So you don't know anything about 'thermal expansion'?"

Her gaze hardened. "Don't you start, Shinji Ikari."

A shiver went down my spine, and I straightened up in my seat. "Yes, ma'am."

"Good." At that, she smiled slightly, and she relaxed. "I admit, Asuka throws me off sometimes, too. I don't know if her behavior is a Western thing or just an Asuka thing, but Asuka is like a small bird—she chirps for attention if you're not giving it to her, but if you do, she's fine.

"I remember, when she came to our house in Tokyo-3 before, she shut herself in my room and played videogames all night, and she was…well, not completely all right, but she was normal, I think. Asuka has a tendency to act larger than life, but that week, she was more…" Horaki pursed her lips and glanced at the ceiling. "She acted within herself. She was no more—and no less—than what you'd expect from a fourteen-year-old girl."

"That's rare for her."

"It is. I hadn't seen that from her in quite a while. She changed. Even over that short time, those weeks and months, she changed."

"We all did."

"Yes, yes you did." Horaki glanced at one of the sketches on the wall. "So," she said, "I guess we should do something. We don't exactly have a lot of time."

"We don't?"

"Nozomi will probably be back soon for dinner. I have enough for an extra plate. It's not much, but—"

I winced. "Ah, no, this is more than enough. I couldn't."

"Of course you can. It's no trouble."

"No, that's not what I mean." I rose, tugging at my sweater to keep it from bunching up. "Thanks for the tea, but I don't think I'm needed any longer. You know there's something wrong. You and Nozomi can work it out. I just needed to make sure you understood."

"Really?" Horaki frowned, and she slid her teacup aside. "All right. I'll do my best, then, to make sure Nozomi is ready for this. After that, I'll be trusting her to your care again."

I shook my head. "I'm just here to nudge her in the right direction every once in a while. That's all."

At that, Horaki rose as well, and she eyed me with a steady stare. "What happened that day? In the control room?"

I glanced aside. "I'm not asking about what's between you and Nozomi."

"No, you're not." Her stare broke, and she looked at the teacups on the table. "I appreciate that. It's easier that way, isn't it?"

"It is," I said, nodding. "Thank you for the tea."

Horaki pressed a hand to her face, with one eye shut. She didn't look at me, so I drifted to the entryway, left the guest slippers at the edge, and made for the door. I was halfway there when a voice called after me,

"It happened in October."

I turned around. Horaki was there, watching me from the threshold to the rest of the house.

"It happened in October," she said again. "October, two years ago."

I looked aside. "I don't need to know this."

"I know. It would be easier if you didn't, but…" She smiled. "There's still some tea, you know."

I turned my back on her. I sped for the door and flung it open. A wave of heat engulfed me; the sun glared at me from across a weed-ridden field.

And all I had to do was take one step—one step into that unmaintained wild, where rain had washed away all the tire tracks on the gravel road, where overbearing light had peeled the paint of the house across the way.

That was the nature of man's struggle, you see: the struggle against nature, nature that was ever-encroaching on civilization. And there, at the Horaki home, they had built up an island fortress of civilization to hold nature at bay. They defended that fortress with metal shaped by machines—the sharp, angled door handle, the strips of steel on the dining room table, and the like. Everything about that place was artificial, with the lights too blue to feel cozy, the corners too pointed to feel at ease.

And yet Horaki stayed there anyway. She wasn't one to be satisfied with how that house was.

And though that place was still inhospitable, though it was still cool for my taste, I closed the door in front of me, shutting the warmth and light of the outside away. I bowed my head, watching her from the corner of my eye, and said,

"Would you tell me about it—about October?"

Horaki smiled. "Okay."

By the dining room table, Horaki told me her story. I'll try to keep it as much in her words as possible.

"It happened in October," she said, sitting straight and tall, "but I didn't realize it until later.

"The day I understood it? That was a cooler day. Overcast, as I remember it. I was taking a walk by the rice paddies. I needed to get out, you see. We shared the house with another family at that time. They were difficult people. Their things were theirs, and our things were theirs, too, if they wanted it that way. We didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. Where else could we go? That's what we thought. So when a cooler day came, without the oppressive, overbearing sun, I took the opportunity.

"I was about a kilometer down the road when I heard the screams. At first, it was just one girl running by the train tracks. She was so far away, it was a faint cry, but no less shrill or upsetting. That's when I really noticed how empty the whole area was: there was no traffic, and except for that girl, there was no one else walking around, either.

"I hurried home, but the door was locked when I got there. I pulled on the handle; I rang the bell and cried out for someone to answer, but no one came. I thought about going around to the back, maybe to tap on a window or something, but someone stopped me: my mother."

"Your mother?" I scanned the decorations about the room: the photos and sketches and such. "Is she…?"

Horaki shook her head sadly. "No, she's not. And that should've tipped me off, right? In my head, I knew there was something wrong, but there she was. She was smiling. Her arms were wide and open. I have her freckles, you know. Father used to say that all the time.

"My mother beckoned me, and I felt drawn to her, like a compass needle to the north pole, like a moth to light. I felt only love coming from her, so I hugged her, and…well…"

"That's when you found out," I said, "about Nozomi?"

Horaki nodded, casting her eyes down. "I found out about a lot of things. I found out someone used to wish I hadn't been born. That explained a lot. I found out someone didn't feel quite the same way I felt toward them, but they were willing to see things change between us. That was good. It was hard to keep secrets there, wasn't it?"

"Impossible," I said, looking at my own reflection in the teacup.

"Impossible." Horaki nodded, and she sipped her tea. "I think so, too." Horaki put the cup down and stared at it, too. She felt along a line that ran down the cup's side, and she turned the cup in place, putting that line out of view. Still, she rubbed her thumb along the cup's surface, where the line should be, with an intense expression.

"Horaki…," I said.

"It happened in October." Her eyes—steady and brilliant—locked on to mine. "I only just realized it months later. Right?"

I nodded, and Horaki went on, letting her eyes drift away from me.

"I saw, in that dream, what happened from Nozomi's view. I was in the kitchen. I had been for most of the afternoon. There was something I needed to do, you see. It was a silly thing, right? You think if you do things for people without asking them what you really want, they'll just give it to you? But that's how we all were back then. We hoped for a lot.

"I was in the kitchen, but I wasn't cooking. I stared out the window in a daze, and the phone lay on the counter beside me, buzzing with that incessant sound. Nozomi heard it, you see. She found me there, by the dirty pots and pans, by the stack of four lunchboxes with no one to take them all.

" 'Hey, Hikari?' That's what she said. She looked into the kitchen and called to me, but I didn't answer. I just squeezed the edge of the countertop. I squeezed it so hard that part of the surface snapped off underneath, but I kept holding it anyway.

"So Nozomi—she came into the kitchen and poked me. She poked me! With the eraser end of a pencil. She poked me on the end of my shoulder, and I jumped half a meter into the air!

"She scampered back, the way a small dog might run away if you yell at it. She hovered by the door, looking at me from the side, and said, 'Sis, what's wrong?' " Horaki wiped at her eye. "Do you know what I said to her?"

"Not what you wish you would've said, I guess."

"Aha!" Horaki laughed. "No, definitely not. I, um, I stood upright, and I smoothed out some wrinkles in my apron. It wasn't wrinkled—not one bit—but I smoothed it out anyway. And I asked her, 'Are you finished with your homework?'

"She said, 'I don't see how that's important right now….'

"I put my hands on hips and said, 'You can't afford to slack off, you know. It's going to be hard, getting into a good high school around here. Make sure you take the washroom trash out before dinner, too. You understand?'

"Nozomi stared at me open-mouthed, saying, 'Are you really doing this?'

"And I said, 'Homework. Washroom. Go get it done before dinner.'

"She watched me for a long time at that, with small eyes and a cold expression, and all she said was,

" 'Okay, Hikari.' And she left, and only then did I lean against the counter and cry.

"But those words stuck with me. I heard them a lot from Nozomi, in the weeks to come. I'd ask her to come to dinner, and she'd say, 'Okay, Hikari.' I'd ask her to be careful on the road to school, and she'd say, 'Okay, Hikari.' And she'd always show me the same face, too: blank and hard, like a slab of rock.

"I saw that over and over—in the real world, and in the time after 'Mother' came to me. That horrible movie reel played in front of my eyes without end, and each time I heard those words again, it was like getting stabbed in the gut. It all made me want to curl into a ball and run away from people, run away from everyone else.

"But then, after hours or days or I don't even know how long, someone came to me in that dream: Nozomi. I tried to apologize to her, but Nozomi didn't want that. She wanted to know if I would go back.

" 'Do you dare seek the hope that we can understand each other?' she said, 'even though one day, you might be betrayed, and that hope may yet abandon you?' "

I twitched, and some drops of tea spilled from my cup. " 'Betrayed'? She said that?"

"I remember it very well," said Horaki, nodding with her eyes closed. "It was strange enough to hear that I can't ever forget it."

I glanced at the ceiling, but there was nothing there: just a smooth, white surface, with a soft gradient of light from the lamp in the corner. Horaki went on.

"Nozomi came to me, asking me to meet her again, and I accepted. I came back. I found myself in the ocean, and it took weeks to get back inland. But when I got here, there they were—my sisters. We'd lost some things in that time, but we still had a house to call home, and a family to keep it together. And I—I tried to make sure it would stay that way."

"Is that so?" I asked. "I mean, after all that, after what Nozomi asked you to do, didn't you…?"

Horaki gaped at me. "Ikari, what kind of person do you think I am?"

"I'm sorry."

"No, no, it's all right." She poured me another cup of tea. "I did make my apology to Nozomi, you see. It was the first thing I did when I could get her alone."

"And she accepted it?"

"I thought she had." Horaki frowned. "The way she's been acting toward me lately, I'm not as sure anymore. I hoped it was something else, or that if she were angry with me, she would say so instead of stew about it." She met my gaze. "Stuff like this should be in the past by now, right?"

Maybe not for Nozomi. Maybe she was the kind to isolate herself and be angry, to wait day after day for the person who'd wronged her to realize it, the kind to take yearning for love and affection and twist it into hatred and displeasure because what she sought wasn't being given, and while she was needed, she wasn't needed the way she wanted to be.

I thanked Horaki for telling her story, and I left. Horaki offered to make me a place for dinner, but I declined, and Horaki showed me out. When that heavy steel door shut behind me, and I stood on the stoop alone, I shaded my eyes from the setting sun and looked out, over the weed-ridden rice paddies and untilled fields.

And I sat down.

I sat down and winced, for the rough concrete of the stoop wasn't too pleasant to sit on, but it was what it was. I sat there, eyes closed, until the sound of gravel crunching underfoot roused me.

"What are you doing here?"

That was Nozomi. She kept her sketchpad tucked under her arm, and her foot dragged on the driveway only a little. She stopped in front of me, looking me up and down, and said,

"You look like you're ready for a ski trip in Hokkaido."

I pulled my sunglasses off and took my hood down. "Most people at least do a double-take when they see me like this."

Nozomi rapped a pencil on her sketchpad's binding. "I'm not most people."

"No," I said, laughing to myself, "no you're not."

"Ikari." She tapped her foot, frowning. "What are you doing here?"

"I—well, that is, uh…"

My gaze drifted off her, but I found something else that was impossible to ignore. Behind Nozomi, at the edge of an abandoned rice paddy, the red-eyed ghost of a girl stood, watching us both with her unblinking gaze. Stoic and unblinking she was, unwavering in her gaze.

I cleared my throat and started again. "I came because I hoped we could understand each other, even knowing that someday I might be betrayed, and that hope would abandon me."

"What are you talking about?" asked Nozomi, raising an eyebrow.

The red-eyed ghost didn't move, either, and I smiled to myself, going on.

"I spoke with your sister," I said. "We talked for a long time, about your problems with her."

"You did?"

"Yes."

Nozomi turned her head slightly, eyeing me askance. "Because of me?"

"That's right."

Nozomi's eyes narrowed, and her lips pressed together tensely. With the sun setting behind her, she was like a magnifying glass for all that light and heat, intense enough that I pulled on the neck of my sweatshirt for relief, and I blurted out,

"Nozomi—"

"Ikari—"

We stared at one another, blinking, open-mouthed. I bowed my head. "You go first."

"All right." Nozomi tucked her pencil behind her ear, and she flipped through her sketchpad, not watching me. "You know, Ikari—I got pretty pissed at you yesterday."

"You don't say."

Her eyes flickered to me, even as she kept shuffling through the pages. "You're not funny," she said, even as the ends of her lips curled upward in a smile. Her eyes went back to the sketches. "You were really acting like a wimp, you know."

"I've been called that a lot," I said, looking away.

"I bet." She ripped a page out of the sketchpad, and she offered it to me. "But I never asked you not to be that way before."

The pencil drawing showed a boy facing a TV screen, putting his back to the girl who sat across from him. Even as she slammed her hands on the table, the boy looked only at the screen. Who knew what the boy was feeling in that moment? The sketch depicted his face wholly in shadow.

"I'm sorry," said Nozomi. "Really."

I took the sketch by the corner of the page, and Nozomi let it go. She sat beside me on the concrete stoop, and her whole body sagged as she came down.

"Feeling relieved?" I asked.

"A little." The fire came back in her eyes, though, and she said, "But let's not get complacent—not you and not me. You've gotta hold on to that sketch, Ikari. Hold on to it, so we can look back on it later and say, 'I'm glad we're not like that anymore.' Got it?"

"Yes, ma'am," I said, and I touched my hand to my forehead in salute. Nozomi huffed at that, but she said nothing.

We sat there in silence, for a time. I smoothed out the wrinkled piece of paper in my lap, admiring the level of detail. She even got the grain of the wooden table right. I could tell because there was a visible knot on one of the legs that I'd long been bothered by. More than that—it was a knot on my side of the table.

"You're making me feel guilty," I said, laughing a bit. "All I did was get the security people to take me up here. As an apology, this is a lot better than anything I could do."

"You don't have to apologize for anything. I get it."

"You do?"

"Yeah." Nozomi held up her head up with one hand, using her knee as a support, and those cool, dark eyes locked on to me. "You hate the person you used to be, don't you, Ikari?"

"Ah—uh—" I choked on these half-formed syllables, and I stared into the trees that surrounded the driveway.

"And I get that," said Nozomi. "You just need to find a way to change yourself into something you'd like."

I hissed at that. My hands came up on their own, like signal flags, broadcasting what I couldn't say. "I don't—I don't really—I'm just trying to help you get through this. That's all. Really."

Nozomi laughed and shook her head. "Well, I guess I'm okay with that. For now." She put one shoe to the concrete and rose, and I scrambled to my feet, too.

"Ah, wait!"

"What?"

"I'm trying to help you with all this—that means you need to know."

She eyed me askance again. "Know what?"

"Your sister told me what happened between you."

Nozomi pulled her sketchbook closer to her body. "She did?"

"Yeah—about October, about how she tried to reconcile with you when she came back, all of it."

"Oh, that." Nozomi brushed a couple stray hairs from her eyes. "Is that what she told you?"

"It is. So, Nozomi…." I climbed to the top step, watching her the whole time. "Is that what's been bothering you??"

Nozomi shook her head, pressing her pencil eraser against her temple. "Look, Ikari—"

"It's okay if you don't answer right now," I said, smiling. "I just might need to know. Sometime."

"No, no, look—I forgave Hikari for that a long time ago."

I raised an eyebrow. "You did?"

"Yeah. It was a tough time. She was stressed out, and people make mistakes when they're not really thinking about other people, you know?" She closed her sketchpad cover and tucked the book under her arm. "I know that. You know that. I'm not holding that against her."

"Then what is it that you saw from the Angel?"

"I saw…" Nozomi looked aside. "I saw myself."

"Yourself?" I said, frowning.

"Yeah. Do we have to do this now?" She drummed her fingers on her sketchpad's binding, and she leaned on her left foot.

"No," I said. "One step at a time, right?" I moved aside, clearing the way to the door. "We don't have to figure it all out now."

"Thanks for that." She stepped inside. "So, that means we're working together again, right? There's still an Angel to kill."

I glanced to the horizon and the setting sun. "Yeah. Count on it."

Nozomi looked at me from the side. "You sure? For real this time? I don't want to find you moping around again, Ikari."

"I—" I frowned, and I bowed my head. "It's hard for me, but—" I met her gaze. "I'm going to keep trying. I mean that."

She gave me a slight nod. "I understand. Night, Ikari."

"Good night, Nozomi."

The door closed, and I folded the sketch into quarters to keep in my sweatshirt's pouch—it was either that or let it flap around and bend in the wind, so that was an easy decision. I left the front steps and headed down the gravel driveway, with the sun casting the shadow of the mountains before me—a dark void that swallowed the cities and towns beyond.

But from that void, spots of red shined at me: a pair of spots from the red-eyed ghost who looked like Rei Ayanami.

And in her shadow stood the figure in white and gold, hooded so that their eyes couldn't be seen at all.

From the edge of the overgrown rice paddy, they watched me—and the Horaki family as well.

More and more, I began to feel that we were pawns to them—too small to appreciate their motives, too simple-minded to understand their plans.

The hope that we can one day understand each other.

To many of us—to me, and to Horaki—that was a hope we had no choice but to pursue. To refuse it would be nothing less than losing ourselves to a dream.

So I walked the road under their watchful gazes. I walked it, knowing different person would finish that journey.

And unlike a boy I'd known in the past, I was determined to come to love him, knowing I would accomplish nothing if I did not.

Last edited:
Or at least, it's no(t) so wrong.

they'll take on ten time(s) that much suffering in a heartbeat.

I walked it, knowing (a) different person would finish that journey.

I managed to finda couple of typos, but nothing else beside that would need any major modifications.

I'm afraid I didn't fully understand what the situation between Hikari and Nozomi was, though. Instrumentality was obviously a big part of it, but I guess I got a bit lost during their conversation.

Considering the dates and what Hikari was doing, I guess it had something to do with Toji and the way Hikari was dealing with what happened? Or rather, how she wasn't dealing with it? I'm not sure, so some clarification on that front would be appreciated.

My lack of understanding doesn't necessarily imply that there's anything wrong with that part, however. I'm pretty tired and my reading comprehension isn't the best at the moment, so the point of the scene could have easily gone past me. :confused:

Intriguing. I'm frankly stumped what about herself Nozomi hates so much.
I'm afraid I didn't fully understand what the situation between Hikari and Nozomi was, though. Instrumentality was obviously a big part of it, but I guess I got a bit lost during their conversation.

Considering the dates and what Hikari was doing, I guess it had something to do with Toji and the way Hikari was dealing with what happened? Or rather, how she wasn't dealing with it? I'm not sure, so some clarification on that front would be appreciated.

My lack of understanding doesn't necessarily imply that there's anything wrong with that part, however. I'm pretty tired and my reading comprehension isn't the best at the moment, so the point of the scene could have easily gone past me. :confused:
I found it relatively easy to understand. October was the probable date of Toji's activation test, and Hikari was numb from the news about him. In Instrumentality she finally saw and understood how rotten she had been toward her sister.

Last edited:
Thanks for catching those typos, @Gryphon.

With respect to the Hikari/Nozomi stuff, I think you drew interpretations that I'm comfortable allowing (though I will neither confirm nor deny that they are the interpretations that I intended).

However, it does worry me that things may be a little too opaque. Not mentioning what exactly interrupted Hikari's cooking, for instance, was a deliberate decision, but I understand that omitting concrete details like that can make things more difficult to latch on to.

To me, the thing that needs to get across is why Nozomi had a beef with Hikari and how that informs their relationship in the present time. There's a passage of about 3 or 4 lines that I consider absolutely crucial to this point, so getting them right is something I'm very interested in.

"If you hadn't said that, I'd have thought you were taking after your father."
Ouch. Low blow, Hikari, but he deserved that. I think that's something Shinji hates more than anything else: The idea he might be like his father.
At that, she let out a small laugh. "I suppose so. A home, family, friends—sometimes you end up with things you didn't expect."

"Like you and Asuka?"

A tinge of color came to her cheeks. "I wouldn't say that. We're not so different."
For a moment there, I was confused. It almost read like Asuka and Hikari had ended up in a relationship, or that the 2nd name should have been 'Touji'.
"No, that's not what I mean." I rose, tugging at my sweater to keep it from bunching up. "Thanks for the tea, but I don't think I'm needed any longer. You know there's something wrong. You and Nozomi can work it out. I just needed to make sure you understood."
Damn it, Shinji, don't you start running away again.
Behind Nozomi, at the edge of an abandoned rice paddy, the red-eyed ghost of a girl stood, watching us both with her unblinking gaze. Stoic and unblinking she was, unwavering in her gaze.
Shinji is getting way too used to seeing ghosts. He doesn't even try to talk to them, or anything? It's not like he can call them up, and he needs to communicate with them. Or at least try to punch 'Gendo' in the face.

For a moment there, I was confused. It almost read like Asuka and Hikari had ended up in a relationship, or that the 2nd name should have been 'Touji'.

I think I am gonna change that. This was the passage I mentioned in the last commit log that I had no idea what I was going for initially. I tried to mend it into something that makes sense, but I think I have a better idea now:

"Like you and Toji"?

A tinge of color came to her cheeks. "I wouldn't say that. We're not that different from you and Asuka."

I raised an eyebrow and stifled a smile. "What does Toji know about 'thermal expansion'?"

Still thinking that thermal expansion gag may be a little too off color for Shinji, though. Thinking about it.

Still thinking that thermal expansion gag may be a little too off color for Shinji, though. Thinking about it.
hahah
No, it's not too much for him. He'd accompany it with a weak smile, though...
You could always excuse him sharing it with 'Hikari would have seen it in Instrumentality anyhow'.

And the revision is much clearer, yes.

Editing changelog:

2.4/Fugue: Added a missing comma when Hikari addresses Nozomi in the vision

2.5/Sisters:
Note: the following changes were already reflected in the published version
  • Eliminated the word "distinct" to describe the fingerprints on the door handle
  • Hikari now addresses Shinji when she points out the blood on his neck
  • Shinji is now more clearly evasive when he says that Nozomi told him she saw Hikari
  • Expanded on why Hikari doesn't look for a new thermostat
  • Reworked the thermal expansion gag as pointed out by @Strypgia/#64 with a proposed solution in post #65; the fix here has a little more done to reconcile the changes with the surrounding passage
  • Tweaked Shinji's re-commitment to Nozomi and the cause, to reflect that he understood he needed to prove he could handle it, rather than blithely assuring Nozomi that he could
  • Some spelling corrections

Changes to unpublished material:
2.6/Mirror Image:
  • Renamed the chapter to this title
  • Rephrased the opening
  • Some minor rephrasings through Misato's opening scene
  • Shinji is a little more forceful
  • Tweaked Shinji's musings on Nozomi, paragraphs are less direct
  • Description of the base is now consistent with the "Cheyenne Mountain" layout: actual buildings underground, not Stargate style corridors
  • Asuka is now more forceful, but also more intimate and compassionate, when making her points to Shinji
  • Removed the second chapter break
  • Removed a reundant "anyway" in describing the Americans' efforts
  • Shinji now does not insist on Nozomi talking to Hikari
  • Shinji's initial conversation with Nozomi on the way to battle is more hopeful
  • Removed all reference to the walking, human-like creatures by the name "Zenunim"
  • Fixed references to Hyuga's position to "Ops," not "Control"
  • Tweaked the resolution that goes "you're the one sitting in that chair" (roughly), in part because they are on better terms due to the beginning conversation
  • This removes the line of thinking that Shinji was trying to protect Nozomi from the actual facts of the battle
  • Shinji smiles and calls Nozomi by name for the final line
Edit: the following changes have also been made prior to publication of 2.6
  • Clarified some language when Unit-16 fights the Angel
  • Hyuga no longer shrugs when asking what they can do
  • Tweaked down Nozomi's frustration during the battle; she gives less of an impression that she's going to go rogue again
  • Added a beat between Shinji and Nozomi as he comes clean with her
  • Shinji no longer apologizes twice, instead going full hot blood
  • Removed Nozomi's "It's not easy..." line, since Shinji doesn't apologize in that place anymore
  • Shinji is more confident throughout the rest of the passage
  • Shinji has a more positive response when Nozomi says we did it

4.4/Soul Cleaver: Removed an extraneous blank line while Shinji is talking to Kyoko on the phone.

Partial changes for part 3 rework:
  • Fixed some references from "Colonel" Misato to "General"
  • Ishikawa is now a spy for Japanse intelligence agency Naicho
  • PSIA references changed to Naicho (PSIA is domestic)
  • Suzuki is now a captain throughout
  • Ishikawa does not die, but he also does not return with the team from Myanmar
  • Many uses of the adjective "Burmese" changed to "Myanma"
  • 3.3/Myanmar expanded to the point of Rei offering Shinji a vision of the FAR
    • Their conversation now focuses on Shinji's sense of certainty

Part two concludes with 2.6/Mirror Image on Thursday. Misato and Asuka will both have something to say about Shinji's 10-minute retirement, and their wisdom is something Shinji will have to keep in mind as he and Nozomi face the Angel once more.

Last edited:
2.6 Mirror Image
12. Mirror Image

That person I'd become would be forged from fire—from the crucible of an Angel attack. The Angel, you see, was still out there.

When I headed back to the base, the information was waiting for me at my desk. That was clear as soon as I opened my office door.

"Well hello there!"

The information just so happened to be ingrained into Misato's head. She sat at my desk, propping her feet up on the corner.

"These digs are nicer than mine, you know," she said, rubbing a finger on the desk's edge. "Usually reserved for visiting generals and such. I was thinking about taking it for myself."

I narrowed my eyes, but Misato just raised her eyebrows.

"Oh, do you want it back?"

"I do, yes."

"Do you, or don't you?" She took her feet off the desk and sat upright, looking every bit like the general she was supposed to be. "Because if you leave this space open again, I will take it for myself. It's too nice to waste, you know."

"I'm sure."

"Are you?" Misato looked straight at me, and she lowered her voice. "You don't have to be here, you know."

"I don't?" I scoffed at that. "You've been pressing pretty hard."

Misato sighed. "Too hard?"

"You said it, not me," I told her.

She rubbed her eyes, and she sat back in my chair. "All right, I deserve that," she said. "I'm sorry. Let me just say it then: I don't think it's good for you to sit in your apartment and only go out with a hood over your face. I'm not asking you to be famous. I'm not asking you to speak to the world. But staying that way—you're weren't making a future for yourself. So when I saw the chance to change that, I took it. The rest is up to you."

Misato laid a hand on the desk, palm up. I stepped foward, to the desk's edge, and I took her hand in mine.

"I'm going to try it again," I said, putting on a hesitant smile. "I like Nozomi, and I think I can make a difference with her."

Misato smiled widely, and her hand tightened around mine. "You absolutely can," she said.

"That's only part of why I'm here, though," I said.

"What?"

I wiped some dust off the computer monitor's top edge. "What would you do with a computer in your office, anyway?"

Misato's jaw dropped at that. Her cheeks flushed, and she scowled. She wagged a finger at me and vacated the seat. "I am not a dinosaur, you know."

"So, you weren't friends with Ritsuko just for her skills with technical support?" I said, grinning like a loon.

"That wasn't the only reason." Misato dragged one of the visitor chairs in front of the desk, and she sat down, too. She flipped a file folder around to face her, and she laid out the contents. "So, if you're going to use this office, we're going to have you do some work with it."

I sighed, and I sat back in my chair. "Where's the Angel?"

Misato smiled slyly, and she shuffled one page in particular to the top of the stack. "Glad you're here, Shinji," she said, and she gave me a kiss on the cheek. I gave her a look to make sure she understood one thing, though: that wasn't going to make up entirely for what she was asking me to do. Still, Misato scampered out before I could make that message hit home.

With Misato gone, I started scanning through the briefing. The Angel was on the way to America. After taking the better part of a week in the upper atmosphere to heal its wounds, the Angel was on the move, and both Germany and Japan would send their Eva to kill it. The three Eva would combine forces, and if that didn't repel the Angel, nothing would.

Nozomi was already on the way again, headed across an ocean to pit her soul against the beast's, and I was meant to help her.

I put on footage from the last two battles, shut my eyes, and listened to Nozomi's voice. That steady cadence of hers—she could get tense, but never hurried. There was an even quality to her demeanor, even under pressure—somewhat like Ayanami, at least in that narrow respect. It was like work to her, wasn't it? She spoke the same way you would if you were lugging a wagon of paint cans around. Where do you need to go? Turn left? Turn right? Up that hill? Okay, let's get on with it. The weight isn't going anywhere by itself.

Why would you want to carry that weight?

Why did Nozomi want to carry that weight?

When the thought came to me, I swept the file folder aside, and the papers within scattered. I buried my face in my hands, and I sat there, for a time, rocking back and forth in my chair. The footage ran to the end of the video, leaving me with nothing but cold silence.

So at some point, I turned off the monitor and took a walk.

It was late on the base, but if you didn't know how the base worked, you might not have known it. The corridor lighting never dimmed, and there were guards posted at all times. You might notice fewer people moving through the halls, but only the civilian scientists on base kept to a daytime schedule.

Even that was…flexible, and not just when the Eva was in operation, either.

It might be tempting to think of Manoah Base as this giant, sprawling complex underground. Nerv Headquarters had over twenty stories above the Geofront floor and a few times that beneath the surface to Terminal Dogma. But that was then. In this day and age, with time limited and money hard to come by, Manoah Base had separate buildings with only a few floors. Getting around was like navigating a small hotel or apartment building—except the base was far more cramped than anything above-ground.

So, with the base as small as it was, it didn't take me long to get to the research labs.

The labs there were all hidden away, tucked behind numbered doors with only military-style paint to distinguish them. I tracked the numbers as I walked by: J-107, J-109, …

J-111. I tapped my key card on the reader, and it flashed: red and green, alternating.

Well it couldn't be that easy, could it. I sighed, and I knocked instead. The lock turned, and a bleary-eyed redhead peered out.

"Shinji?" She frowned, folding her arms. "Well look who it is."

I winced. "Uh, um, how's the work going?"

"It's not bad," she said with a shrug, but that momentary reprieve gave away to a hard stare. "I've been working. Unlike some people."

I laughed nervously, and I looked around her into the lab. There was a cubicle in plain view, but no one was at home. "Should I…?"

She propped the door open and jerked her head toward the interior. I followed her in.

Asuka blew right by the office space, showing me through an open door into the laboratory proper: a series of chambers with transparent walls, connected by a narrow observation hallway. Asuka dragged a rolling chair from one of the consoles and sat down at another, leaving me to sit in front of a powered-down computer while she went back to work.

And what was she working on, you ask? An unholy mass of flesh and cabling—no more than an Eva's torso being kept alive by machines.

Asuka tugged on her labcoat's collar as she sat down, and she typed in her credentials to access the console computer. "So, what made you come back?"

"It's important to Nozomi, and it's important to me," I said.

"And you just decided to show up here? All of a sudden?"

"I'm sorry. I'll make you some sausage."

She looked at me with one eye. "Real sausage or Chinese sausage?"

It wasn't like you could just go to any market in Japan and find pig intestines. Not in that time, anyway.

"That's what I thought," she said, but her lip curled up in a smile. "So you're okay with Nozomi now?"

I nodded. "She was…pretty forgiving. We're going to fight the Angel again, soon."

"You're ready for that?"

"I need to be."

Asuka pushed the keyboard aside, and she turned her chair toward me, letting it drift to a stop. "You need to be, huh?" she said, looking up. "Well, damn right you do. You two kill the Angel and save the world. That's what we're here for. What's the problem?"

Inside the test chamber, some bubbles passed through a transparent tube, into the simulation body.

"It's not going to be easy," I said. "Not for her, not for me."

"Of course it won't be easy. She's going to suffer. A lot. But it'll help more people avoid that suffering. It's a win."

"And what should she do after that?" I asked.

Asuka laughed. She sat back in her chair, with one leg crossed over the other, and shook her head. "Don't get ahead of yourself, Ikari. It's far too early to worry about what might happen if you win when she might not survive at all."

I tensed up. "What?"

"It's natural, isn't it? There's no small chance that she dies, or that she doesn't come back as something human, or the like."

"That—" I bit my lip and shuddered.

"Shinji…"

Asuka reached out to me, but I waved her off.

"That is what I'm afraid of," I said. "How—how am I supposed to stop that from happening?"

"You might not be able to. It could be it was never possible." She shrugged. "So why worry about it? Just do what you can."

"But I can't!" I cried. "I—I don't understand her! How can I? I don't know anything about art, which she loves. I don't understand why she's so cold to Horaki; I don't know how she stays so cool under pressure. I just—I don't know!" I buried my face in my hands. "Maybe she doesn't care. Maybe she doesn't care about anything, and she's just going along because we asked her to. How am I supposed to help that?"

Asuka pulled on the back of my chair, drawing us closer, and she wrapped an arm around me. "Do you understand me, Shinji?"

"A lot more than I did—"

She locked her eyes on me. "Do you understand me, Shinji? Completely, utterly, truly, without a shadow of a doubt?"

My mouth hung open, and I didn't answer.

"I don't understand you either, sometimes," she said, her eyes drifting to the half-formed creature through the window. "You sat around and moped and I couldn't reach you. That's like stabbing me in the heart, you know. That fucking hurts. What a bastard you are."

"I'm sorry; I just—"

She touched a finger to my lips. "But we're both bastards, so I can decide if I want to live with that." She smiled. "And we've been just fine, even if it does hurt sometimes."

I relaxed at that, settling into Asuka's arms. "I really do owe you some sausage."

"Misato has connections; get her to make it happen."

"I'd rather do it myself."

"I won't stop you." Asuka pulled on her labcoat with her free hand, closing it up against the lab environment. With a blank expression, she stared into the chamber.

"How's work coming?" I asked.

She jolted a bit, even though she was still holding on to me, but a trademark grin came back to her. "Good!" she said. "We've been using the simulation body to probe the effects of the engine. It's not perfect, but the results are promising. We could be installing it in the Eva within a few weeks."

"How does it work?"

She scoffed. "Do you really want to hear it?"

"Humor me."

"You'll still owe me some sausage."

"That's fine."

Asuka caught a lab notebook on the console with her fingertips, and she flipped it open to some arcane drawings of occult, paranormal rituals—metaphysical biology at its most complex.

"Eva, Angels, and humans alike all generate AT fields and use their AT fields to penetrate other AT fields, if they're forceful enough." She said this like a professor at a classroom lectern. "But it doesn't need to be that way, does it? AT fields are fields—wavelike phenomena that obey the laws of quantum mechanics. Rather than overpower an AT field directly, an opposing field of the right amplitude and phase will cause destructive interference with the first field, completely canceling the other out. That's what the puncture engine does—or that's what it's supposed to do, anyway. The reality of making that work from inside an Eva takes a rather ingenious solution that Maya doesn't entirely appreciate…"

As Asuka explained all the cleverness of her approach, we sat in the lab, side by side, long into the night.

And though the simulation body behind the glass was hideous, neither of us wanted to move.

The battle took place late the next night.

I reported to the control room around eleven, just as final operations were underway to prepare for launch and combat. Misato's staff kept a close eye on the situation on the ground, and it wasn't good: Unit-16, the American Eva, had led a morning-long defensive stand outside the old Nerv-Boston base. When I arrived, the beast already seemed tired, breathing heavily as it waited for its instructions. Its blue-and-white striped armor showed the signs of battle: chips and dents marred the color scheme, and its left shoulder pylon had snapped in two.

You see, Unit-16 had squared off against the Angel with no support and no help since dawn. American tanks and missiles? They hardly made a dent. Their rods of death from high orbit? Useless. How do you expect to hit a moving target from a dozen kilometers away, with nothing but tiny fins attached to a dumb metal rod?

That's not to say the Americans didn't try it anyway. No, the charred craters and smoke in the sky said so: the Americans would try, even if they had no chance to succeed. Why not? If it distracted the Angel for a minute or two, if it kept the walking creatures' advance from the American base a little longer, then why not? What was a little metal in payment for that? What was a little fire to scorch the trees and homes for kilometers around?

But Unit-16 couldn't hold forever, nor did it need to. The Germans and the Japanese were on the way, and we would all face the enemy—together.

"All right, we're go for launch," said Hyuga, standing at his position next to me. "Start the clock at T-8 when Eva-15 has deployed."

The middle screen at the front of the room went to one of the transport planes. The jet seemed like a lumbering animal, lugging Unit-15 on its back, for the clouds behind it hardly drifted by. On another screen was Unit-14, also hitching a ride, and on my own monitor was the camera into the entry plug. Nozomi sat with her eyes closed, and she tapped her thumb on the controls as she waited.

"You're not scared," I observed.

She opened one eye, the one visible to the camera. "You kidding? This is pretty weird stuff we get into. I think most people should be scared."

"You don't show it very much, I mean."

She closed her eyes again, shrugging. "Nothing I can do about it."

"That's no less worthy of admiration. You didn't have to be here."

"Pft." She snorted. "This is what anybody should do."

"Maybe."

I glanced over my shoulder. Just as before, the Horaki family waited in the observation lounge, taking up the two corner seats while generals and politicians alike watched with stiff, stern faces.

"Have you thought about talking to your sister?" I asked.

"Dunno what I could say." Her thumb tapped on the controls, never missing a beat. "It's hard, you know?"

"That I do know," I said, laughing to myself. "We can talk about it when you get back, yeah?"

"Getting a little ahead of yourself, Ikari," she said, stifling a smile.

"I'm not. This is something I know."

She nodded at that, and she said nothing more. Her eyes were fixed forward. She settled into the zone, focusing on the timer.

I glanced up, above the projector screens in the front of the room. The clock on the wall read -00:00:08.000 and held there, as the Germans on the radio read the time down for their launch. "Drei, zwo, eins…"

The German Eva separated from its transport, which pitched down and out of the way, and a wing apparatus folded out along the Eva's arms, letting it glide into the battlefield.

"Start the clock!" said Hyuga.

Nozomi tightened her grip on the controls, and I sat up, too. It was what she'd trained to do, right? And for me? It's what I'd been asked to do, despite having little training at all. I only knew what it was like to be in that chair. The one I was sitting in then—with foam cushions and a rolling wheels—was a far cry from the hard plastic plug seat.

So it would've been weird to be less comfortable in that chair than the Eva's. It would've been very weird. I don't think you could blame the armrests for that, and yet…I squirmed in that chair. I squirmed and repositioned myself for the whole countdown. Nozomi separated from the transport and jolted, and there I was, struggling with the rolling wheels of my chair. She swayed and bounced around as turbulence shook the Eva's improvised gliding rig, and I? I fiddled with the height adjuster on my seat, but it wouldn't put me in a good spot. It was always too high or too low, too cramped with the keyboard or too far above the monitor to see properly.

And that was how it was.

I gave up trying to adjust the chair. The keyboard would just have to be inconvenient. Nothing could keep me from watching Nozomi as she flew toward battle.

And that battle was underway. The Angel—that impossible ball of spinning rings and warped space—chewed through American tanks on its way to their base. It sucked in fighter jets and strung out their metal and glass into streams of crushed white mass, spitting them out like strands of steel spaghetti.

And when Eva-16, in white and blue, dared to stand toe-to-toe against its foe, the Angel pulled the Eva off the ground by the pull of false gravity. It tossed the Eva aside like a doll. An Eva isn't meant to plow into the ground or smash into the ocean like a stone. Even with the most intrepid pilot, it couldn't help but wear down.

That's why Eva-15 came to its aid.

Ka-WHAM! A streak of red, black, and white smashed into the Angel! AT fields burst from the impact in shimmering red and orange light; Eva-15's momentum carried the Angel along with it, dragging the Angel from the American Eva.

And that's where Unit-14 and Nozomi swooped in, making a graceful, rocket-assisted landing at the American Eva's side.

"I'm good!" cried Nozomi, striking a combat-ready stance.

"Qanan Base, Qanan Base, this is Manoah Base Control," said one of our communication controllers in English. "Eva Unit-14 is in position."

With that, the battered American Eva withdrew. Bits and pieces of armor sloughed off like necrotic flesh, and the Eva lumbered inland, stepping over a swath of barbed wire fencing.

But the Angel gave chase. It rose high off the ground, carrying the German Eva long by false gravity, and it bolted for the American Eva and base. The ground split apart beneath the Angel's trail.

TACK-TACK-TACK-TACK-TACK! Sparks shot off the Angel's AT field. White beams of energy sliced through the air, leaving shimmering wakes of heat and smoke behind.

"You think I got its attention?"

That was Nozomi, who crouched her Eva like a soldier providing covering fire, except her rifle wasn't anything a human being could wield. Calling it the Type 21 Positron Rifle would make it sound complicated and strange.

It fired bolts of high-energy particles, going just shy of the speed of light. It was complicated and strange.

Yet limitless in ammunition it was not—Nozomi fired off a burst of three shots, stunning the Angel, but the trigger clicked harmlessly after that.

And that's when the Angel—that swirling ball of light with semi-transparent, crystalline rings—focused its energy on Nozomi. It froze her within a spotlight once more. Nozomi let out a stifled groan, and she pressed a hand to her head, gritting her teeth.

"Nothing has changed."

That was the specter—the thing that looked like my father—looming over my station with cold, wide eyes. The rims of "his" glasses cut across his pupils; the red lenses stood in stark contrast against the whites of his eyes.

"You're still helpless," he said. "Helpless to change the present or the past."

I sat back in my chair, sipped my flavorless tea, and smiled. "Not this time," I said, and I pressed the switch on my headset's cord. "Nozomi, fire when ready."

"Okay…" she grunted. "Firing…"

The specter's brow furrowed, and behind him, on the front projector screen, the Eva's back end lit with fire. Rockets hurled the Eva free of the Angel's spotlight, and Nozomi zoomed around the Angel, reloading the positron rifle on the fly. In the entry plug, she lowered the targeting scanner back over her eyes, took aim, and—

FWOOM! The Angel shot past her with criminal disregard for the laws of inertia, and its spinning gravitational wake carried Nozomi and the American Eva along, as though they were helpless asteroids in the presence of a larger body. Nozomi tumbled; her rockets fired in spurts, pushing the Eva end-over-end. She lurched against her seat restraints, and the targeting scanner smashed into her temple, drawing blood.

"Okay, that didn't work!" cried Nozomi, who pushed and pulled at the Eva's controls, to no avail. "Do we have a plan to get me out of this thing's pull or what?"

Hyuga grimaced, and he put a hand over his headset microphone, saying to me, "Tell her we have something; it'll just take a second."

I clicked the switch on my microphone, and I said, "We're putting something together right now."

"Is that coming? Soon?"

I nodded frantically. "Yes, soon! Very soon!"

But that wasn't soon enough. The Angel darted skyward, dragging the three Eva along, and it flung them back downward like pellets from a slingshot.

THUD, THUD, THUD! They smashed into the ground, taking trees and fencing along with them. And where the wounded beasts lay in craters, the enemy army—the faceless walking creatures—came for them like vultures sniffing carrion. The walkers pricked and pulled at each Eva's armor, puncturing the metal plates with their needle-like fingers.

THWACK! Unit-14 swatted two of the creatures with its arm, leaving nothing but orange goo in their place.

"Not soon enough, Ikari," muttered Nozomi, who brought the Eva lumbering to its feet.

I looked to Hyuga. "We'll try to do better next time," I said.

"You do that," said Nozomi.

Hyuga grimaced. "What else can we do?" he asked the room.

I faced the monitor once more, saying nothing.

The scene there wasn't improving, though. The Angel descended back to Earth like a god from heaven. It shined its searing light on the other Eva—first the lanky German Eva in red and orange, then the shorter American Eva in blue and white stripes. The light never lingered on them for long, however.

It only stayed for more than a few seconds when it found Unit-14 and Nozomi.

"How about now?" she said, straining against the light's pressure. "We got a new plan for this or what?"

Hyuga looked to me and nodded, and I said, "Yes, it'll just be a minute."

One of the controllers rose from her seat. "Not enough propellant," she said. "The engines will fizzle out before we get even 90 degrees around, and the Angel will just reacquire the Eva in its gaze."

"ETA on the backup rifle?" asked Hyuga.

"Four minutes, Ops—the platform couldn't stay on station with the Angel in the air."

"How much propellant do we have?"

"Fifteen seconds at full burn, sir."

On and on the dialogue went. That's what adults do; they work on things. Ibuki and her scientists were working on it in the back room, no doubt, with Asuka and a small handful of their colleagues relaying information back to them by the second. The technicians and systems controllers were working on it, with people going back and forth between stations. Hyuga left his station, holding his headset by its cord, as he spoke with the technicians about a solution.

And Misato? She presided over the whole affair in silence, not even looking up from her monitors.

"Ikari?"

That was Nozomi. She held the Eva's arms in front of her, as though blocking a little of that light would protect her. With the Eva paralyzed and Nozomi struggling against the pain, the walkers climbed up the Eva's legs and back, ripping at its armor. Nozomi clenched her teeth so hard I thought they would crack.

"Haven't you got something for me?" she cried out. "I'm not gonna let this thing just push into me without putting up a fight!"

Hyuga stormed back to his position next to me. "She needs to just hang on."

"Just hold on a little longer," I said.

She hissed, shaking her head. "Hold on for what, Ikari? How long do you guys think I have?"

"I know this is frustrating; I know it's hard to hear that we don't have any answers for you. I—" I ran my hand through my hair. "I'm sorry. I know we asked you to do this, and now we're asking you to sit out there and wait to be hurt or killed. I know it's awful. I don't know what else to tell you."

"That's really how it is?"

I bowed my head. "Yeah, it is. I'm sorry."

Nozomi grunted, and she made a show of releasing the controls. She looked right at the camera, with one eye shut and the other straining to stay open, and said,

"You don't have to apologize, Ikari. That's for trying. I'm glad you've been here."

"You are?"

"Yeah," she said, flashing her trademark small smile. "Thanks for looking out for me."

The Eva shuddered, and Nozomi grabbed at the base of the seat to steady herself.

"But if you can figure something out pretty soon, that'd be okay, too!" she said, and she flashed the camera a pained smile.

I sat back in my seat, mouth hanging open. There was that girl, mustering all the will she had to hold the Angel's probing mind at bay, and she had the temerity to smile, to announce to the world that she was there to save it, knowing what it might cost her. And she would do this, had done all this, with little more than an indifferent shrug, as though she could agree to it and go back to sketching on her pad without a second thought.

That was Nozomi Horaki.

I knew what it was like to sit in that chair, to fight Angels and hope for something more.

I didn't know that girl just by virtue of her sitting in that chair, but I knew something that could help her.

I could help her.

I, of all people, could help her.

And as Nozomi groaned and gritted her teeth, my eyes lost focus. I saw, in the glossy sheen of the monitor, not Nozomi.

I saw a boy, a boy who'd grown halfway into a man, who grew stubble when it suited him and shaved it off when it felt unfitting.

I saw a boy, a boy who'd grown the chin and nose of his father, yet who shied away from the image of that man, even as that image stared him down.

"Your flesh is helpless," said the image. "It is weak and prone to fear and doubt. You are a mistake. You cannot fight the nature of what you are."

My eyes flickered to that image, to the ghostly, twisted image of my father. But that thing was not my father.

Perhaps that's why I could stand up to it.

Yes, that's right. I stood up, and I looked that thing right in the eye.

"I may have been a mistake before," I said, "but I am not a mistake now!"

The room stared at me—the thing that looked like my father, the other mission controllers, and Misato alike. But I ignored them. I tightened my headset over my ears, and I hit the switch to transmit.

"Nozomi, we're gonna get you out of this," I said.

"You are? How?"

"We're gonna find a way, and you're going to get out of this. You're going to get out of this because you're the one sitting in that chair, and you can do it." I balled my hand into a fist. "Isn't that right?"

She looked aside, into the light, and for the first time, it didn't seem to pain her.

"Damn right we are. What's the plan?"

I took my hand off the transmit switch and leaned around the cubicle wall. "Do we have a plan yet?" I asked Hyuga. "Do we?"

"Yes!" Hyuga came around to my station with a tablet, drawing out the strategy. "This is the plan: fire the rockets as long as they can go, keep her on a straight line, and—"

He drew a single path from the ground to the center of a circle.

I scoffed. "Are you serious?"

"She needs her knife."

He was serious!

I rubbed my forehead and shook my head. I looked to Misato, but she just nodded once, not even moving from her seat.

I let out a breath, and I switched on the transmitter once more. "Okay, Nozomi," I said. "We're going for the kill. Draw your prog knife. Hyuga will have your boosters fire on a countdown. Just keep the Eva steady and go straight into the heart of that Angel. Do you understand?"

Hyuga covered his microphone. "With the rings, the frame dragging…" He shrugged. "It's the best we can do."

"We don't have anything else for you. It might not work, and you could be killed. I'm sorry."

"Do you think it'll work?" she asked.

I sighed, watching the battle on the large screen at the front of the room. The walkers had wrenched off one of Unit-14's leg armor plates. The German Eva was trying desperately to keep the Americans' protected, as warped space flung trees, tanks, and unspent artillery shells in their direction.

"We're gonna make it work."

Nozomi smiled at that, and she gripped the controls. "All right. Just say when."

Hyuga held up five fingers.

"Draw your knife," I said. "Five."

The knife popped out of Unit-14's right shoulder pylon, and the Eva drew it cleanly.

"Four, three…"

The rockets flickered to life, burning one of the walkers and shooting it away.

"Two, one…"

The Eva crouched slightly, and—

"Go!"

It jumped!

PAAAAM! The rockets fired, and the Eva shot down the center of the spotlight.

"Stay like that," I said. "Ah—watch it, you're drifting!"

Unit-14's right leg swung off to the side, countering the Angel's spin and keeping Nozomi on line. That left just one big obstacle:

"Dodge the rings!" I cried. "Throttle down and dodge!"

Nozomi cut the power and contorted the Angel's body, dancing around the outer ring like a gymnast, but the second, inner ring—spinning vertically—clipped the Eva's foot.

"AGH!" she yelped, and she bit down so hard her lip bled.

"Stay with it!" I shouted. "You're close!" I covered the microphone and looked to Hyuga. "Don't lower her rates!"

"We're leaving them!" he said, raising both hands and backing off.

That was good, but the Eva had started tumbling back to Earth.

"You can do this!" I said. "It's not your body, but you're in control of it! Get it under control and finish this!"

The Eva steadied itself in midair like a skydiver, and the rockets fired again. The Angel shot skyward, but Nozomi gave chase, leading with the tip of the prog knife as she disappeared into the blinding white light, the glow around the Angel's core.

And in that glow, the Eva disappeared; the entry plug feed pixellated and turned to blank, solid blue.

"Nozomi!" I shouted, pressing a headset speaker to my ear. "Can you hear me? Nozomi!"

And then there was light.

Brilliant, blinding light overloaded every screen, with only the silhouettes of rings flying off in all directions to punctuate the whiteness.

"Nozomi? Do you read me?"

There was a burst of static over the radio. An image flickered into place on my monitor: it was still pixellated and blocky, but the entry plug was intact, and Nozomi, limp in her seat, cast a weak, lazy eye toward the camera.

"Did we get it?" she mumbled.

The light on the main screen cleared. The overhead view showed a crater where the battle had taken place, with Unit-14 thrown clear by about half a kilometer, into some flattened woods. The creatures on the ground? They were in retreat, and they disappeared into the sea, not to be seen again, at least not that day.

"Yeah," I said with a smile. I turned to the observation balcony and showed Horaki and her sister a thumbs-up, and the girls hugged each other right then and there. "You got it, Nozomi."

"No, that's not—" She pulled herself upright, fumbling for grip in the darkened entry plug. "That's not what I said. We got it."

I grinned. I grinned like a silly child. "Yeah. We got it."

"You bet we did. And Ikari?"

"Yes?"

"I don't know what you were like before," she said, "but it wouldn't be so bad, to end up like you."

I laughed at that, and I dabbed at my eye. "Thank you."

"Welcome. Now, can I come home?"

I glanced over my shoulder to Misato, who sat back in her seat, sipping her coffee with a satisfied grin. She nodded at me and raised her cup.

And I couldn't help but smile, too.

"Yeah, Nozomi," I said. "Come home. Your friends and family are waiting."

The Sixth Child
The Second Coming Part Two End​

Last edited:
Asuka tugged on her lacboat's collar as she sat down,

"Do you understand me, Shinji?" Completely, utterly, truly, without a shadow of a doubt?"

That like stabbing me in the heart, you know.

I think there's something missing on that one. Take a look at it.

Its blue-and-white striped armor showed the signs of battle:

Good to see the Americans are still as subtle as ever. :rolleyes:

And (then?) there was light.

Really cool bit. The scene with Shinji and Asuka was sweet enough without getting too sugary, and the fight scene at the end was all kinds of great.

I really liked the descriptions in that last one, too. Kinda makes me want to go back to my wordy and heavily-detailed ways, but I fear that I may end up going too far in that direction. :(

Maybe I'll do it in baby steps; and thanks for your review, by the way. It was most enlightening. :)

I think this was a chapter worth of every kudo I could give you. Awesome work.

I think there's something missing on that one. Take a look at it.

Yes, I think you're right.

Really cool bit. The scene with Shinji and Asuka was sweet enough without getting too sugary, and the fight scene at the end was all kinds of great.

I really liked the descriptions in that last one, too. Kinda makes me want to go back to my wordy and heavily-detailed ways, but I fear that I may end up going too far in that direction. :(

Maybe I'll do it in baby steps; and thanks for your review, by the way. It was most enlightening. :)

I think this was a chapter worth of every kudo I could give you. Awesome work.

Thanks a lot. I think i went back and forth about three or four times about what to do with this ending, but i think it finally feels right. It's so much fun to see Shinji believe he can be awesome.

Sometimes I still feel like there's not quite enough description, or perhaps that I put too much dialogue in that disrupts the flow of things. I felt you did a good job in that first one-shot relying more on narration.

Thanks again.

Good piece, as always.
"Drei, zwei, eins…"
In radio terminology, 'zwei' is usually said as 'zwo' to avoid misunderstandings and confusion of the digit with 'drei'. This goes as far as countdowns, hence why I mention it.
The specter's brow furrowed, and behind him, on the front projector screen, the Eva's back and lit with fire.
I think you mean either 'end', or left a word out.
The Angel darted skyward, dragging the three Eva along, and it flung them back downward like a pellets from a slingshot.
I think you've got an unnecessary article, there.

Good piece, as always.

In radio terminology, 'zwei' is usually said as 'zwo' to avoid misunderstandings and confusion of the digit with 'drei'. This goes as far as countdowns, hence why I mention it.

Stands to reason; and also not something I would've even thought to ask about, so I'm glad to hear about that.

I guess it was a good idea for me not to try to get into the details of Japanese voice procedure. At one point, I had a bunch radio-related stuff back in part one; glad I didn't try to go there.

"It's not bad," she said with a shrug, but that momentary reprieve gave away to a hard stare. "I've been working. Unlike some people."
Ouch. Hit #1, Shinji. At least now her shots at you are reproving rather than hostile.
"You sat around and moped and I couldn't reach you. That like stabbing me in the heart, you know. That fucking hurts. What a bastard you are."
Hit #2. And you deserved that. This is your other half, Shinji. You shouldn't shut her out, no matter what pit of misery you seem determined to wallow in. She's there to help pull you out.
"I really do owe you some sausage."
:V Oh my~, Shinji!
As Asuka explained all the cleverness of her approach, we sat in the lab, side by side, long into the night.

And though the simulation body behind the glass was hideous, neither of us wanted to move.
That's... that best part. Just being able to be together, and the other's mere presence making things better. Never let her go, Shinji. And never shut her out.

Back