Son Quest (Dragon Ball)

Also, is the "nine swords" part of "Five Rings, Nine Swords" a reference to Dugu Qiubai, a background character in some of Jin Yong's books?

Correct again. It's a reference to the "Nine Swords of Dugu," the martial art invented by the wanderer who sought defeat. So basically the match the author supposedly witnessed was between Dugu Qiubai the "Sword Devil" and Miyamoto Musashi the "Sword Saint." Or rather their DB-verse expies.

[X] Dragon's Nine Yang Manual

[X] Five Rings, Nine Swords

[X] Learn By Doing? No, Learn By Teaching!

[X] Interesting. In very different ways (both good and bad), Bulma and Goku are very much unlike anyone you've ever met. You're honestly rather curious about them.

[X] A pair of white boots. They feel as light as a feather, oddly enough.

Last edited:
Aha! Is the "Ning Yang Manual" the second volume of the "Nine Yin Manual"?

Edit: Ooor it's just a totally separate fictional manual in the same book series.

Last edited:
[X] Eighteen Dragon-Subduing Palms
[X] Legends of This Strange & Beautiful World

[X] Interesting. In very different ways (both good and bad), Bulma and Goku are very much unlike anyone you've ever met. You're honestly rather curious about them.

[X] A blue orb the size of your head. Beneath the surface, the orb seems to shift and roil, with streaks of dark blue and white, almost like waves in the ocean.

Last edited:
[X] Rather fun, and certainly amusing. At least if you chose to let them accompany you, you wouldn't be bored.
[X] A black cap with a long, beautiful red feather in it. The feather radiates a slight warmth, and you feel a little more energetic when you touchit.

[X] Rather fun, and certainly amusing. At least if you chose to let them accompany you, you wouldn't be bored.

Ok hear me out, the Ki and Barehanded Books are fairly self explanatory since we seem to like fighting with those more than weapons, but the teaching book, we're going to be bringing Goku with us, right? And Goku hasn't had a proper teacher in forever. We can use that book to gain symbiosis from teaching Goku moves. Basically if we teach Goku stuff to get him on par with us, we'll increase our abilities as we teach him.

As to the boots, I figure they are haste boots or something like that. Speed is always useful, especially in Martial Arts. Hell, Burter of the Ginyu Force made a career on speed. . .

Last edited:

Last edited:

...I probably shouldn't vote for the weapon book since I voted against obtaining a weapon, but I do like the idea of learning how to properly channel ki through weapons and other objects. Grab random stick, use it to wreck robot suits! :p

I want all the magic items. But since I can only have one, I must pick the hat. A nice hat is always a boon even without magical powers.

[X] A black cap with a long, beautiful red feather in it. The feather radiates a slight warmth, and you feel a little more energetic when you touch it.

Anyone have any guesses for the Bruce Lei book? The only thing I can see there is the obvious Bruce Lee expy, but I don't understand the invisitext at all.

Aha! Is the "Ning Yang Manual" the second volume of the "Nine Yin Manual"?

Edit: Ooor it's just a totally separate fictional manual in the same book series.

That's all the references, BTW. To put them all in one place:

The author of "Legends of This Strange & Beautiful World is, indeed, an amalgam of Xiong Yaohua and Chen Wengtong, two of the "greats" of classic wuxia.
The "Dragon's Nine Yang Manual" is a reference to the "Nine Yang Manual" that appears in the Condor Trilogy. There, the book was lost and the one man who mastered it recited parts of it to three different masters of the martial arts, who each interpreted what they heard differently based on their own understanding and took them back to their own martial societies, creating three lesser versions. The one you're being offered is another lesser version of the original.
"Five Rings, Nine Swords" is a reference to Miyamoto Musashi the "Sword Saint", author of "The Book of Five Rings" and Dugu Qiubai the "Sword Devil," who created a martial art called "The Nine Swords of Dugu." Supposedly, the author of the work witnessed a duel between the two and based his art around what he gleaned from the battle.
The "Eighteen Dragon-Subduing Palms" are one of the two secret martial arts unique to the Beggar Fraternity of Jin Yong's fictional universe.
And yes, the name of the author of "Learn By Doing? No, Learn By Teaching!" is in fact a reference to Bruce Lee. @will408914, you get to choose your reward.

When someone realizes what the invisitext he discovered means and says it, they'll also get to pick one.

So the Bruce Lei book was written by Master Roshi from DBZ? He did fight under that name In DBZ at the World's Martial Arts Tournament. That's about all I can guess.

I chose those three books because I figured empowering our ki Is very useful and this can only help Goku too should he come with us. I also like the idea of being able to use anything as a weapon like Mousse from Ranma 1/2. And considering all the legends and crazy stuff that happened in DBZ, the first book is going to be useful I'm sure. The boots kinda reming me of like seven-league boots or something. I think Sun Wukong had boots of some sort like that or something. Or I'm mixing up my legends , myths, and games.

Last edited:

[X] A blue orb the size of your head. Beneath the surface, the orb seems to shift and roil, with streaks of dark blue and white, almost like waves in the ocean.

A minor technique, I guess? I don't know anything about the Dragon Ball setting, besides the basics, so I'll leave it up to your discretion.

A minor technique, I guess? I don't know anything about the Dragon Ball setting, besides the basics, so I'll leave it up to your discretion.

Alright. Depending on which manuals win out, you'll be presented with 1-3 possible techniques that you were able to glean simply from skimming over the book while you were deciding what to take.

I swear there was a Bruce Lee expy he defeated in the first match of the prelims in that episode. . .

Pretty sure Goku's beaten more than one Bruce Lee knockoff.

So the Bruce Lei book was written by Master Roshi from DBZ? He did fight under that name In DBZ at the World's Martial Arts Tournament. That's about all I can guess.

I chose those three books because I figured empowering our ki Is very useful and this can only help Goku too should he come with us. I also like the idea of being able to use anything as a weapon like Mousse from Ranma 1/2. And considering all the legends and crazy stuff that happened in DBZ, the first book is going to be useful I'm sure. The boots kinda reming me of like seven-league boots or something. I think Sun Wukong had boots of some sort like that or something. Or I'm mixing up my legends , myths, and games.

Yes. Bruce Lei is a pseudonym Master Roshi once used when he fought in a World Martial Arts Tournament about 50-60 years ago. Now if someone can figure out what I meant by mentioning "another Son" he fought, they'll get the bonus.

Yes. Bruce Lei is a pseudonym Master Roshi once used when he fought in a World Martial Arts Tournament about 50-60 years ago. Now if someone can figure out what I meant by mentioning "another Son" he fought, they'll get the bonus.
Do you mean Son Gohan, Goku's adopted grandfather?

Do you mean Son Gohan, Goku's adopted grandfather?

Yep! Master Roshi once remarked he used his "dress up and use a fake name to beat my students to motivate them" strategy before with Gohan (maybe the Ox King, too). In this quest, Bruce Lei is the pseudonym he used in that tournament, which he also used when authoring the manual shortly afterwards.
You get to pick the reward.

Yep! Master Roshi once remarked he used his "dress up and use a fake name to beat my students to motivate them" strategy before with Gohan (maybe the Ox King, too). In this quest, Bruce Lei is the pseudonym he used in that tournament, which he also used when authoring the manual shortly afterwards.
You get to pick the reward.
Hmm, I think I'll take the Attribute Point. Can we boost Agility and Reflex to 5 even?

Back