Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

I have a half a dozen other fucking threads. What do I choose to spend my time on?

This.

What lead to this? An idle thought, which went something along the lines of "What happens if you taken an eldritch parasite that eats energy, stick it into a dark setting that has infinite energy, and then sprinkle some Human mentality on top?". And then it didn't leave me alone. Several long nights spent brainstorming, and we're arriving at this. Send help.
Memoir

Drich

Von Neumann Writing Machine
I have a half a dozen other fucking threads. What do I choose to spend my time on?

This.

What lead to this? An idle thought, which went something along the lines of "What happens if you taken an eldritch parasite that eats energy, stick it into a dark setting that has infinite energy, and then sprinkle some Human mentality on top?". And then it didn't leave me alone. Several long nights spent brainstorming, and we're arriving at this. Send help.

Memoir

+++

What are they?

I have a lot of answers for that question. I could say that they were a parasite, relentlessly draining everything they touch, transforming it for their own use.

But if I were to say that, then I must call myself a parasite.

I could say that they are a civilization. They are numerous, apparently social among their own kind, and clearly work towards a higher goal.

But that's not accurate. They are numerous, but there is no individuality in them that separates them. For all their forms and design, each creature is of exactly the same mind, exactly the same will, with only the body to vary them. They are one creature, a living, thriving thing- but they are not a civilization.

I could say that they are a threat, and from the points of view of half the beings in the galaxy, that might even be true.

But if that was a valid qualifier, then everything in the galaxy is a threat, and if one judges threat by how much a creature is likely to hurt you, then these creatures would not be much of one. Certainly less so than most of the galaxy.

But, back to the question. What are they?

There is, unfortunately, no answer I can give you. I could tell you their nature, tell you what they do and give a basic idea of how they do it. That might seem enough, but it isn't.

When we first saw them, they were a jagged and shifting mass of darkness, twisting and changing and spreading. Now, they are organic silver, blue light, and crystalline orange, a horde of creatures rather than a singular mass. In both cases, speechless, faceless, and illusive.

That is their common theme. Little else unites them.

Mysterious creatures. The first name we gave them is quite appropriate, I think.

The Shroud.

Last edited:

+++

It was surprisingly hot in this portion of the planet. Hot and quiet.

It was good, to be honest. I appreciated both. The heat, I could drink deeply from, a bit of sustenance to take the edge off of me. The quiet, an inevitable result of my presence.

Except this quiet wasn't my own.

I observed my surroundings. Sand and cracked ground, behind me, a mostly flat plane that was dead and barren.

And in front, a city, at first glance. Tall buildings, glaring with skylight. Streets, constructed with efficient design. The delineation between city and surrounding desert was clear and stark.

Except, cities had people.

This place did not.

No city was quiet, like this. Hustle and bustle always made noise, yet there was nothing. The buildings were tall and bright, and the streets were well designed... Until you looked closer, and saw the cracks and melted pits in both.

Lifeless ruin had overtaken this city just as certainly as it had taken the desert that surrounded it. Search as hard you want, you won't find anything here.

Except...

That was a lie. I can taste it, hidden underneath the city. A pulsing thrum of power.

A jagged, yet continuous, oscillating pattern. Just enough variation to it even after that to clue me in that someone, something, is down there, using it.

The question was, who?

That's what I'm here to find out.

I move forward, gliding on legs and floating in the air, three or four hundred selves and bodies coordinated together. My sky-selves are fanning out, widening my sight and awareness.

Ground-selves have a different role, protecting the larger and more important Harvester-selves and Entity-self.

It's a bit of trouble to fit my Entity-self through these streets. They're narrow enough, with buildings tall enough, that I have to fold up the petals and limbs in order to pass through without crashing through the buildings. Still, I don't have to go far. Sky-selves spot an open area, probably a former park, and my Entity-self heads in that direction.

It's not particularly large. My Entity-self takes up nearly a third of the room. That's fine, though. I don't need the space at the moment.

My Entity-self settles, and opens, petals spreading wide, and limbs curling beneath it. The core opens last, blue light and energy spilling from within and shining brightly.

Only a moment later, a river of blue is pulled towards the core. The energy begins to fill my stomach, my reserves, which makes me happy. The trip here had been long, after all. The amount I'd brought with me had not been particularly diminished, but going so long without drawing in significant amounts of sustenance had been... uncomfortable.

Not that the food around here was what I could call... good, but it would do. Metals were often like that, as far more material sustenance went. Nearly all of them were dense, inert materials, not bad in its own right, but definitely time-consuming to process.

One Harvester-self climbs on top of a building, three long limbs and an odd relationship with gravity enabling it to more or less walk up the side. The building is a smaller one, wide and flat. My Harvester-self settles into place, and the three limbs lift off the ground, the core opening slightly.

Like my Entity-self, blue light spills out. Unlike it, however, the energy drain is much more focused. A vortex of blue energy begins to leech from the material beneath it, swirling together and upwards, into my Harvester-self.

Hmm. Primarily titanium and carbon, with trace amounts of other materials. A strange polymer structure, giving it a surprising amount of strength. Materially interesting, but ultimately...

Fragments of light drifted upwards, a spiralling groove appearing as the metal disintegrated. It was a slow, but steady, harvest.

But ultimately, nothing more than food at the moment. My Harvester-self consumed it, processing it into energy, concentrated that energy, and then redirected it towards my Entity-self. My reserves began to fill up- but again, materials like this were slow to harvest.

That's why I had as many Harvester-selves as I did. One was slow. Ten were faster.

The others settle into place one after the other, climbing buildings with careful gait. Once they do, they begin consuming their targets, ripping particles from atoms from molecules, all to feed my appetite.

And with that taken care of...

My sky-selves fan out, widening their flights in a spiralling path away from my Entity-self. I look through the city carefully, searching for signs of a disturbance that doesn't fit the rest of the city.

It could be easier. The maps I had access to before I came here were neither new nor precise. The general parts of it matched, though the specifics were a little off.

Case in point, there are more bunkers and underground entrances than there should be. It was easy to tell the new from the old, even without the benefit from the map. Time had worn away at both, but the older ones were artistically integrated with the city, bearing the same aesthetic and fitting in to logical, inoffensive places.

The newer ones, by contrast, lacked aesthetic. Little more than bricks engineered for maximum efficiency and accessibility, appearing frequently enough that anywhere in the city would have two or three available for quick access.

All of them that I can see are sealed shut. There are scratches and gouges on the doors and walls of the entrances.

Somebody had been eager, hadn't they...

Still, I continue my search. It takes only a few more minutes before my sky-selves stumble upon an anomaly. Another bunker much like the rest of the newer ones, but unlike them all, this one's doors aren't closed.

They're open. Not neatly, no; these doors had been forced open. Heavily scratched and damaged, with two deep impressions in the metal, bending it inwards, the depression itself shaped roughly in the form of hands...

I can imagine it, the course of events. Something large and strong had punched its way through, then forced the doors open with sheer power. The doors to a sanctuary, opened, and made vulnerable.

There is discoloration on the walls. Heat-marks, and more, long since aged into near-nothing... but not quite gone just yet.

Still... I had my way in, now, and that was all I needed. A quick glance at the sky showed chaotically shifting purple-pink, but the lack of faces within staring back at me indicated I probably wasn't going to be interrupted any time soon.

So, let's see... Who is it that's hiding here?

Last edited:
Grey Goo SI in Warhammer.

Oh, you poor fool.

In other space settings, I would have said Grey Goo inserts are way too overpowered. But nothing's overpowered when you got yourself inserted in the same general dimensional vicinity where the Four absolute dickheads dick around. Good fucking luck, mate.

Actually it sounds like a Shroud SI, the ones the goo were running away from.
A malevolent race of alien locusts responsible for wiping out most of the Beta race and causing the Grey Goo to reassess the Three Laws-Compliant code that all humanity's robotics have to mean "I've got to stop this thing or everyone dies." Known to the Beta as "the Silent Ones" and to mankind as "the Shroud". They serve as a bigger bad in the main game as their existence is what propels the three factions to fight each other, and as the Big Bad faction of the expansion DLC Descent of the Shroud.

Oh, you poor fool.

In other space settings, I would have said Grey Goo inserts are way too overpowered. But nothing's overpowered when you got yourself inserted in the same general dimensional vicinity where the Four absolute dickheads dick around. Good fucking luck, mate.

Drich is currently a Shroud off shoot/splinter/scouts, the only she could get a more powerful group Grey Goo would be to use Earth stuff, since what you use in the game are archaic museum pieces, or the Shroud main body which are a lot like the Nids in that there are A LOT of them coming from outside the galaxy.

The Shroud are essentially Tyranids but more efficient. :wink2:
The Shroud / The Silent Ones arrive, while mankind has advanced nanotechnology, energy weapons and AIs, the Shroud as mastered gravity (their gravity weaponry), has near-perfect holograms (in their Mimic units), superior Deflector Shields, and psychic technology (their wall equivalent, the Aversion Field), as well as bio-mechanical structures and Zerg-like mastery of genetic manipulation and augmentation (Their epic unit The Dirge evolves into stronger forms the more enemies it kills). Not to mention that they can drain entire planets of their energy putting them on the border between Type 1 and Type 2 on the Kardashev scale, well ahead of the solid Type 1 humanity.

Not familiar with Grey Goo. If what I'm gleaning from others' posts is accurate though, you're gonna need the power.

Oh boy, here we go!

From the text, I'm thinking Necrons as the culprit for the city extermination. But narratively, that would immediately introduce one of the most intimidating factions without any escalation, which makes me think not?

Is the SI aware of 40k or just you-ish?

+++

The bunker's halls are wide and tall. The entrance is just about the smallest part of it all, really. A Human could fit through it easily, with no trouble at all. It's good.

Because my ground-selves barely fit, anyway. Only the smallest three types can get in, because an entrance that was large for Humans was a tight fit for most of me. My bodies are, for the moment, limited to Clashers, Mimics, and Howlers.

That wasn't a bad thing, per se. It cut my options quite a bit, but between the three, I had a fair share.

Probably more than I'd need, to be honest. That I hadn't caught a scent of life yet hinted at there not being much of it, down here.

Well, not anymore.

My Clasher-self comes to a corner. Lying in said corner is a pile of broken bones and long-rotten flesh. I don't spare it too much attention, that sight is one that isn't particularly uncommon, around here.

What is uncommon is the line of red-brown on the ground trailing away from it. It's blood, old blood, but...

Far newer than that of the bones. The bones had been there for decades, maybe centuries. The blood, maybe a few days at most.

Hmm. I inspect the area a bit more closely, looking around the blood. None, against the walls or ceiling. No marks, little smearing. It is, aside from its age, oddly clear and clean, in the marking it's making.

The list of potential suspects for who might be down here just shrunk significantly. I have a fairly good guess as to who.

A Mimic-self takes point, slightly faster than the rest of my bodies. I follow the direction of the blood, it and the pulsating thrum of power leading me to the source.

More corridors and corners pass, and more dessicated piles of bones, too. It might, perhaps, be more appropriate to call this bunker a charnel house.

With a Mimic-self in the lead, it doesn't take too much longer for me to find what I'm looking for. A scent of life...

It smells like Blood. Thick and coppery, imbedded with War, ancient, mindless violence. A prelude and a promise all in one. It's a scent I'm quite familiar with.

I hurry, moving as fast as I can with my bodies. Clasher-selves rush with deceptive speed. Mimic-selves dart through the air, the core of light at their centers shining with bright intent. Howler-selves charge, slightly faster than the Clasers, darting between their legs and towards the source of the scent.

Down a corridor, then another, and then a scream pierces the air, echoing through the halls. A bit of laughter follows it, and much lower, some chanting.

I don't slow. More corridors, more bodies... and a door, there, wrenched open. I can see malevolent red light shining from it, hear the jeering and mad laughter within, and I can feel the malice building, hanging in the air like putrid smoke.

I reach the door just in time to see a man shove a blade into the chest of another. It's a small blade, basically a knife, but it's glowing a baleful red, symbols etched all over it.

I'm correct in my guess.

There's eight men, standing in a circle. An eight-sided sigil is on the floor, drawn in blood, with seven bodies already on the floor, even as the eighth falls to join them. The eight men are wearing what might be generously called rags, skin covered in blood, with skulls hanging from their ruined clothes. Their scents speak of deep corruption, malice dripping from their bones.

There is, however, another person in the room. Another, much smaller figure, chained to the walls, covered in cloth and hanging limp.

It only takes me a moment to take it all in. One of the figure's heads is just turning towards my Mimic-self. Still, there's no opportunity to react before the next event takes place.

I can feel it. The malice in the air reaches a crescendo as the body falls. Raw bloodlust taints the world-

And then reality inverts. Power and corruption spill into existence with a crack of red lightning, right in the center of the ritual star. The taste of blood grows stronger, and with a horrific shriek, something appears.

It's red, and tall. A head with two horns to either side, and face like evil made manifest. Muscular and dangerous, a fact reinforced by the fact that it's wielding a massive flaming sword almost as long as the creature was tall in one hand.

Two burning orange eyes glare at me, and a mouth full of sharp teeth opens to screech.

I charge forwards, and all that I can think of this horror is that it's nice to finally get some good food.

My Mimic-self smashes into the Daemon, limbs angled forwards, knocking it backwards, into one of the cultists. The other seven are quick to draw their weapons, but none are quick enough to do so before a pair of Howler-selves come through the door. Their cores open wide, blue light gathering before shooting out as an arcing ball of energy. The grenades explode on contact, a wave of concussive force and heat knocking every single one of them off their feet and leaving significant burns. None are dead, not yet, but none are in a position to interfere anymore.

The Daemon screeches, swinging its sword in a wide arc. My Mimic-self takes the blow as I refrain from moving out of the way, shifting limbs together. The sword punctures through two of the limbs, but not all the way. Light-blood leaks out, but my Mimic is still alive, and so, I wrap the rest of the limbs around the blade to hold it in place.

The Daemon tries to pull back, but the rough edge of the blade works against it. If it had the time, it probably could have, but it didn't. The two Howler-selves dart up to it, jumping with open cores. The four extrusions surrounding the open core act, in this case, like clamps, closing around the arms of the Daemon, dragging it down and backwards to the ground. Again, the Daemon screeches, but this time, it can't do anything about it.

My Clasher-self enters the room a moment later. I waste no time, moving towards the Daemon. My Clasher-self's arms rise, and I plunge down. The tips at the end of those arms puncture through red skin, making it roar in pain.

I attack. Light pours from the arms of my Clasher-self, a scintillating wave of vitality-breaking power. The light burns at the Daemon's skin, and then shatters it, red flesh disintegrating into a mist of pink-purple-red, raw corruption and energy.

Dangerous stuff. These were energies that could and would twist everything it came into contact with. The slightest touch could easily mutate flesh and bone and metal.

I was none of those things.

I reach out, and take hold of it. The Daemon screams, sensing now the danger that I pose to it. Swirling corruption mist settles in as I pull it to myselves, and the corruption flows towards my bodies, drawn in like a vacuum. I absorb it, biting down on the corruption, and the corruption screams, literally, with a sound that defies sense and reality.

I chew. The corruption tries to fight back, energies shifting and changing and mutating to find a blade to stab my throat, but it's a futile effort. It tastes vaguely like the concept of war, though the texture is oddly like bubblegum. It doesn't make much sense, but that's why it's important to chew one's food. Chewing forces it into something a bit more manageable, and, inevitably, closer to the ultimate goal.

The Daemon disintegrates a bit more, spilling into more and more corruption, bleeding more and more of its essence. Sensing an impending death, it tries to escape, its power shifting and changing, reality twisting as the veil thins...

But I don't let it. I reach deeper, grasping with more than my physical shells. Tendrils of my mind grip the Daemon, and I bind barbed chains into its soul, the true essence of its existence. Food, after all, is not allowed to run. It screams, and screeches, and tries to fight back-

And then I shatter it with a final pulse of light and will. The soul breaks, fragmenting into disconnected concepts. A little bit more chewing, and then...

I swallow. Screaming corruption falls to Silence, and settles within my stomach. Digestion is quick, energy processed and made... more useful. I spare some to heal my Mimic, knitting its energy-structure back together, but that barely puts a dent in what I've gained.

I'm left with a distinctly happy feeling of a good meal.

My bodies rise, even as the rest enter the room.

But I'm not done yet. Still eight more, after all.

And it's very important to finish one's food.

Last edited:
Dangerous stuff. These were energies that could and would twist everything it came into contact with. The slightest touch could easily mutate flesh and bone and metal.

I was none of those things.

I reach out, and take hold of it. The Daemon screams, sensing now the danger that I pose to it. Swirling corruption mist settles in as I pull it to myselves, and the corruption flows towards my bodies, drawn in like a vacuum. I absorb it, biting down on the corruption, and the corruption screams, literally, with a sound that defies sense and reality.

I chew. The corruption tries to fight back, energies shifting and changing and mutating to find a blade to stab my throat, but it's a futile effort. It tastes vaguely like the concept of war, though the texture is oddly like bubblegum. It doesn't make much sense, but that's why it's important to chew one's food. Chewing forces it into something a bit more manageable, and, inevitably, closer to the ultimate goal.

The Daemon disintegrates a bit more, spilling into more and more corruption, bleeding more and more of its essence. Sensing an impending death, it tries to escape, it's power shifting and changing, reality twisting as the veil thins...

But I don't let it. I reach deeper, grasping with more than my physical shells. Tendrils of my mind grip the Daemon, and I bind barbed chains into its soul, the true essence of its existence. Food, after all, is not allowed to run. It screams, and screeches, and tries to fight back-

And then I shatter it with a final pulse of light and will. The soul breaks, fragmenting into disconnected concepts. A little bit more chewing, and then...

I swallow. Screaming corruption falls to Silence, and settles within my stomach. Digestion is quick, energy processed and made... more useful. I spare some to heal my Mimic, knitting its energy-structure back together, but that barely puts a dent in what I've gained.

have you ever been so hungry that you casually decide to eat a bloodletter for lunch

Khorne just discovered that theres a predator around...and warp-stuff is FOOD...

oh boy oh boy, the eye of terror and warp storms are going to be FEASTING grounds for you if you get into the warp. the four asshole-dicks of Warhammer are right to be afraid of you now if you can casually munch daemons and use them as food supply.

plus its literally infinite food too!

Silence vs the Warp is scary stuff.

I'm curious about how you will approach the other bunkers. If their were people in this one, I assume their are people in the others. Will you try to help them even though they will likely see you as a filthy Xeno, or will they simply be returned to silence?

Clashers

The only mistake I could find, and as I said on SB I'm going to enjoy your take as a SI Shroud, just like I loved your Heartless SI fic, mainly because that's become a major part of my KH headcanon.

So, the Grey Goo eats Chaos? And it can chew through corruption? Without any negative consequences?

Neat.
I think you mean the Shroud, as the Goo are a different faction from the same universe the Shroud are from.

I think you mean the Shroud, as the Goo are a different faction from the same universe the Shroud are from.
Okay, I'm getting the feeling that I'm really missing something here.

Just to clarify, this is a Grey Goo SI right? Self replicating Von Neumann machine? How did it resist Chaos with that? If I recall correctly, Machine Spirits couldn't even stop being corrupted by Chaos stuff, let alone a Grey Goo that ate the essence of one.

Okay, I'm getting the feeling that I'm really missing something here.

Just to clarify, this is a Grey Goo SI right? Self replicating Von Neumann machine? How did it resist Chaos with that? If I recall correctly, Machine Spirits couldn't even stop being corrupted by Chaos stuff, let alone a Grey Goo that ate the essence of one.
This is a Shroud SI, the Grey Goo on the title is the name of the source of the faction aka the game Grey Goo(which also has a faction called simply the Goo)

Edit: This is what the SI is

Last edited:
Oh, okay. So let me get this straight.

So it's not a Grey Goo SI but an SI from a game called Grey Goo. It involves an actual Grey Goo but the SI was not the Grey Goo itself. Rather, the SI was some sort of weird Cthulhu-ish Eldritch faction thingie with a Brother Moon-ish sort of motivation.

Do I get that right?

Oh, okay. So let me get this straight.

So it's not a Grey Goo SI but an SI from a game called Grey Goo. It involves an actual Grey Goo but the SI was not the Grey Goo itself. Rather, the SI was some sort of weird Cthulhu-ish Eldritch faction thingie with a Brother Moon-ish sort of motivation.

Do I get that right?
Pretty much, yes. Let me just edit that title for clarity.

I just had a thought. How likely is it that some of the other factions in 40K will mistake the Shroud for a C'tan? The creators of the Necron are the only known energy-vores in the 40K universe.

Back