Votes: 29 18.4%
  • Professional Lili

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • Villainess Lili

Votes: 37 23.4%
  • Suave Lili

Votes: 28 17.7%

• Total voters
I haven't seen any lasers yet but I am looking forward to it.

Lilith's internal monologue is quite well done. She seems particularly snake like. And it is also a very different experience seeing the story through the eyes of someone else who doesn't have as much connection with the rest of Konoha. I like it.

I'm glad, you didn't replace Sakura with Lilith. It would have broken suspension of disbelief to have a foreigner teamed up with the last Uchiha and the Jinchuriki.

I predict that she was placed with Kurenai because of her friendship with Anko (It's possible I'm mixing up fanon and canon here but meh) which should be fun. Also am I the only one who doesn't want Hinata to end up with Naruto? I'd enjoy her with Lililth more personally.

I'm glad, you didn't replace Sakura with Lilith. It would have broken suspension of disbelief to have a foreigner teamed up with the last Uchiha and the Jinchuriki.
I could have totally swung that too, but I really couldn't see the appeal in it given the option. Would have been a super wild team either way.

I predict that she was placed with Kurenai because of her friendship with Anko (It's possible I'm mixing up fanon and canon here but meh) which should be fun. Also am I the only one who doesn't want Hinata to end up with Naruto? I'd enjoy her with Lililth more personally.
I suspect you're not alone here. And they really would be cute together. As for the placement with Kurenai and Team 8, there are some practical reasons for it that will come up. I don't remember Kurenai and Anko being close...their circles would be different, I feel like. But we'll see some of Anko down the road.

Assembly
Scarlet Justice - ep. 16
"Assembly"
---

"Lili! Lili, I gotta talk to you!"

I remember that Naruto left ahead of me, so I'm not terribly shocked at hearing his voice. But what he's said...why does he want to speak to me so urgently? Perhaps he wants to talk about his surprise promotion...

"Hinata, I'll see you later."

"Y-yes. B-bye, Naruto..."

"Oh! See you, Hinata! Congratulations, you got the best partner ever!"

"T-thank you...um..." She blushes and runs off. What a girl.

"So, uh. Let's go somewhere out of the way. It's...it's important."

"Alright." We head to the playground nearby, where there's nobody else at the moment. Naruto takes a seat on one of the swings, and I sit beside him. He's very quiet for a while.

I start to worry a bit. Is he okay?

"Iruka-sensei...you noticed, right? How he was moving today."

"He hurt his back. Do you know how it happened?"

"It was my fault."

"...a prank?"

He shakes his head.

"Then...what was it?"

"He saved my life."

"..."

"I know that he really likes you. And I like him too. And I like you too. You know? So...I just wanted to tell you about what really happened and stuff. There's a guy. Or was a guy...another teacher named Mizuki."

"I've heard of him."

"Yeah. Iruka-sensei and him used to hang out. Turns out it was all fake. He never liked Iruka-sensei at all and was just sucking up to impress the Hokage. Real scumbag. What happened was...he found me that night, after you and your family took me out to eat. He told me about a secret scroll, one that the Hokage kept around with all sorts of techniques and stuff. If I could learn something out of that, he said that I'd defintely be able to graduate. He tried to stick up for me after Iruka-sensei failed me, earlier in the day. So, I...well, I got the Hokage with 'that' jutsu. You know the one."

"Unfortunately."

"I even remembered what you said and added a bit more of that 'boing-boing'...man, you should have seen the look on the old man's face. Went down faster than ever!"

I clear my throat. He rubs the back of his head sheepishly.

"O-oh. Sorry, ehe. Right, so...I nabbed the scroll. And I learned a neat trick after a few hours of trying. It sucked and was pretty hard at first, but...well, let me show you."

He gets up and stands in front of me, making the Tiger seal with both hands. I feel like...wait a moment.

"Shadow Clone Jutsu!"

And all of a sudden, there are five Narutos standing in front of me. I instinctively look down and see that they all have shadows. These aren't illusions - they're honest to god copies.

No wonder Iruka passed him.

He dispels the clones and goes back to his seat.

"So where is the scroll now?" I ask, still trying to process everything.

"Back with the old man. Mizuki tricked me. I mean it worked out in the end, but he wanted the scroll for himself...for whatever reason. I don't know. He tried to kill me for it, but Iruka-sensei figured things out and came in the nick of time before anyone else found me. Took one of those giant shuriken to the back."

That's about what I would expect from that sort of man. Unbelievable. I really will have to do something special for him one day soon. I wonder if I should scold him personally for his recklessness...hm. I will have to think on it.

"Iruka-sensei told me that I was a shinobi of the village, and that...meant a lot to me. So I geared up and kicked Mizuki's ass, and that was the end of it. The scroll got put back, and I ended up getting some more ramen. The old man was confused to see me again so soon, but Iruka-sensei convinced him it was okay. Not often you get to have ramen for breakfast, yeah?"

"It shouldn't be often."

"Eh." He shrugs. "So...that's the story. And I wanted you to hear about it...well, there are a lot of reasons for that. I feel like..."

"What you did was reckless and foolish. You could have hurt many people. Maybe even killed them with your actions. You nearly put a dangerous power into the hands of a criminal and endangered the village, weakened its security, and brought shame to everyone you knew."

"..."

"But Iruka-sensei is right. You are a member of this village. You are cared for. You are needed, and necessary. Naruto, you are worth something no matter what happens, or what type of skills you do and do not have. Remember that. Treasure it. And focus on the fact that you did accomplish something great, with your own two hands."

"Lili..."

"All I want out of you is a promise that you will continue to do better, each and every day. And that you will use your powers for good from now on. You're a shinobi now. Got it?"

"Got it!"

"Good. Thank you for telling me all of this," I say with a smile. "I appreciate it, just as I appreciate you."

"Yeah...thanks."

"Now go on home and get yourself ready for tomorrow. You don't want to be unprepared for Sharingan Kakashi's first class."

"Probably not," Naruto says as he gets up. "Sounds like a real hardass, too. Ah, well. I'll figure it out when I get there. See you, Lili. And thanks for listening."

"You're welcome. You can tell me anything, Naruto. I'll be here for you."

"Yeah." He starts on his way, and I wait. A few more steps. He stops. Looks back at me.

Makes his way to my side, and whispers into my ear. Steps back a bit.

"Is that so," I say. It's something heavy. Something...I think should be unbearable.

"Yeah. Mizuki blurted it out in the forest." He looks down at his feet nervously.

"I see." I stand up and go to leave. "You should understand something."

"What...is it?"

I place a hand on his cheek, and stare into his blue eyes. I want him to remember this moment.

"What you might be to the world, and what terrible thing you might have inside of you...all of that is meaningless before me. Remember that. You will always be Naruto to me."

I watch as the worry melts away from him.

"I see everything you are. I accept you."

"...yeah."

"I'll see you, then. Take care of yourself." I slowly let my hand slide down from his face, and start my walk home.

The Nine-Tailed Fox. The means by which the Fourth Hokage saved the village...a child who became a jinchurriki at birth. I don't know the reasons, so I cannot judge them. But the way this village has treated him...it hurts too much. I don't know if it's something I can truly forgive. I will try, though. For his sake. And for the sake of the Fourth, who gave of himself as well.

If all I can do is stand by Naruto's side, then that is what I will do.

But I know that I can do more. And so I will.

---

"It's something we shouldn't spread around too much. Or at all, really. That boy is bold for telling you so suddenly after he found out."

Midori said that much to me yesterday before leaving for the day. I told her about Naruto and she seemed to understand completely.

"It makes sense. The chakra of the Nine-Tails is extremely powerful...still, I wonder what exactly the Fourth was thinking with that kind of set-up. I can tell that the Third doesn't know either, since he's been trying to handle the situation from afar. What a mess..."

"..."

"It's up to you, Lili. If you can lead him forward, then things will be okay."

"I'll do my best, Midori-nee."

She rubbed my head as she always did before taking off. Luna emerged from her room a moment later.

"Miss Lilith, I'm-"

"Your shirt."

"Eh?"

"It's backwards, Luna."

She looks down and makes another one of her distressed noises while turning red.

"Midori-nee must be amazing if she can leave you in that state so consistently-"

"Not another word! Please!"

Luna could barely stand to look at me the rest of the night.

It's morning now. I will be meeting my sensei, Kurenai Yuuhi today. 7am comes and I rise from bed. Luna is already preparing the bath.

"You're up early today, Miss Lilith."

"I'm looking forward to my first day on the job. Plus, Hinata and I will be together. It should be fun."

"Very happy to hear that. The bath will be ready in just a moment..."

"No rush. Hinata will be here around 8:30." I wait patiently for Luna to finish, and then we get into the tub together.

"Where will you be meeting with your sensei? Miss Yuuhi, right?"

"Yes. We'll be meeting at the Dangoya for some tea and breakfast. It sounds classy enough, and should be nice."

"It sounds like it. Let me touch up your hair a bit..."

After we finish our bath, I get into my new clothing.

"Is this alright, Miss Lilith?"

The mirror in my room is full-length, and I take one last look at myself. For now, the clean and modest look is still in. A black sweater that shows off a bit of my shoulders, with sleeves that flare outwards starting from the lower part of my arms. Stylish, and functional for my alternative skills. The green armband fits nicely with it, I think. A pair of navy blue cargo shorts, over black tights. These feel comfortable enough, and I have many pockets to use, which pleases me. I have a sturdy black toolbelt and my pouch is now attached to it. And of course, my gifted butterfly knife from Midori, carried in a holster that is strapped to my right thigh. Just like Luna.

I feel my hair being brushed gently, Luna making sure as usual that it looks right. She steps away once finished, and I give an approving nod to my reflection as I turn and look myself over.

"A glass of milk before I go, Luna."

"Of course, Miss Lilith." I follow her into the kitchen and she pours from the pitcher. The doorbell rings.

"A moment, please."

"Mm-hm." I drink down my milk and then fuss over my outfit a bit longer. Finally, I see who's at the door. It seems to be the appointed time.

"Lady Hinata, good morning."

"Ah...good morning, Luna. It's nice to see you again."

"Likewise. Miss Lilith is ready...I hope you both have a safe and productive day."

"Thank you..."

"Will you be home late?" Luna asks me.

"We might be. Depends on how things go, but I think I should be home a reasonable hour."

"Understood. Please do not hesitate to call if you need my help."

"Yes. Thank you, Luna." We share a hug. "I'll see you later."

"Yes. Take care, Miss Lilith. You as well, Lady Hinata."

We wave goodbye before leaving, descending the stairs and hitting the streets of the Leaf. They seem a bit busier this time around, but it is the top of summer. Everyone has come out to relax and play, whatever suits them best. And school is out all over the land for most children. I follow Hinata to our meeting place. Her headband hasn't been changed, but is secured around her neck. Very chic.

"Um...Lili?"

"Yes?"

"Luna...really is, um. I mean to say...her body..."

"I know."

"It's...not difficult?" she asks.

"Not at all. I'm used to it. And she doesn't do anything to make me uncomfortable, or feel like I'm inadequate. So it's more than fine."

"I see..."

I rub at my cheek. "It's also nice. The softness, I mean..."

"S-soft...ah?"

"You should try it."

Hinata shakes her head. "I-I don't think...would t-that even be okay?"

"I would think so. I tease her about being a pedophile sometimes, but that's far from the truth. And I don't think she would mind, especially since you're also a girl."

"..."

"Maybe she could wash your hair, if you're more interested in that. She's really good at it."

"Ah. Yours always does look nice. She washes it every morning?"

"Only as often as needed." We stop at an intersection and make sure it's clear before crossing. "If you take care of it properly, you only need to do light washing most days. Yours is nice, too. Have you thought about growing it?" I ask.

"Hm..."

"You should consider it. I think long hair would suit you."

"I'll...I will definitely think about it," Hinata says. The gears are turning in her head, so that's good.

Before I realize it, we're at the dango shop. Early, as is my way. Shino is standing up ahead, easily recognizable.

"Shino," I say to him as we approach. He pushes up his glasses and nods to acknowledge me.

"It's good to finally greet you properly, Miss Genius." A strange way of speaking, but not particularly cold. Nothing like Sasuke, anyways.

"I feel the same. It's nice to meet you, Shino." I bow and Hinata follows suit. Shino bows in return. "Lili is fine."

"I'll note that...but I think last names sound a bit cooler."

"..." Well, everyone has their quirks. Wanting to experience coolness isn't so bad. "Kobayashi is fine also," I say.

"Thank you. You're more accommodating than I assumed."

"I appreciate hearing that." He's agreeable, at least. This seems fine. Hinata timidly introduces herself while I look out for our sensei. Kurenai Yuuhi...hm.

There's a woman coming up the street who looks decidedly mature. Her hair is wild-looking and reaches to her shoulders, and she has striking red eyes. She wears red lipstick and an interesting looking kind of blouse, patterned like vines and thorns with bold red lines running vertically. Her one visible sleeve on her right arm is also coloured red. There are cloth wrappings strategically placed on her limbs.

This is her, then.

"Good morning."

"Good morning, sensei," I say politely.

"No need to be so stiff with me, alright?" she says with a smile. "As you might have guessed, I'm your squad leader. My name is Kurenai Yuuhi. For the record, you're my first group of genin ever. I've only become a jounin and an instructor recently."

Is that so...a rookie jounin? Hm. I wonder what was behind that decision...dumping us off on her? Or something more sinister? Was Iruka guessing at this, or something else? Many questions...

"Let's head inside for now and have some tea," Kurenai says. She seems nice...but it could always be a front, I suppose. Not likely. She said she was new to this, so she wouldn't want to screw up badly by causing us harm. Not me, as an accomplished graduate, and not Hinata or Shino, who are the children of prominent clans.

We follow her inside the shop and have a seat. She makes an order for tea and some light breakfast items to share amongst all of us. We sit on one side, she on the other.

"We'll probably be discussing things for a while. I think we should make a trip down to the barbeque place when we're finished for some lunch. I'll buy for everyone." As she speaks, I notice she's wearing some eye shadow. It's purple, and she carries it well.

"Sensei."

"Remember what I said earlier, okay? But Kurenai-sensei is okay, if you wish."

"I see, understood. Kurenai-sensei, is this usually how you look when on assignment?" I ask. There is much debate over womanly appearances during work. I wonder what her views are.

"Usually, yes. Part of being a shinobi is being in your best condition. Feeling good is important, and looking good contributes to that. I enjoy my womanhood, and so I embrace it. Self-care is important." She smiles and winks. "This isn't just for young people, either. Remember all of this as you grow. Ah...it's the same for you, Shino. Remember to take care of yourself."

"Understood. I'll immerse myself in esoteric pursuits," he says.

"Hm. That's fine, too. Anyways, I've had a chance to glean some information from the Aburame and the Hyuuga about their children, so...Lilith, right?"

"Yes. Lili is fine."

"Good, I like it. Lili, I'll have to meet with your guardian soon. Will that be inconvenient?"

"Not at all. Luna will be home tomorrow and I'll be sure to inform her of your wishes tonight before bed."

"Thank you. And Luna...her relation to you is...?"

"My maid. Stepmother is at the estate," probably molesting the help, I leave out, "and Father is...busy. Working, somewhere." I've lost track of where he might be. But it's hard to care at this point.

"And I heard that you have an older sister as well," Kurenai says.

"Midori-nee. She's not my sister by blood, but I love her very much. Right now, she should be performing ceremonial duties."

"She's royalty, then."

"Yes." It's not a lie, at least.

"Interesting. Alright, I'll talk to Miss Luna at some point, perhaps tomorrow." Kurenai sips from her teacup, and I follow. Hinata does the same. "With all that aside, let's introduce ourselves formally. I'll start. Kurenai Yuuhi, jounin of the Hidden Leaf. I like reading and evening drinks. I want to become the best kunoichi that I can be, and carry on the Will of Fire like my family and comrades have. As for my dream...well, I suppose it's old-fashioned. I want to retire one day and be an old woman, with a good kid and a husband who will love me forever."

She nods to Shino who clears his throat. "Shino Aburame. Member of the Aburame Clan and genin of the Hidden Leaf. I enjoy winter melon and collecting various insects. My goal is to refine my insect techniques to perfection, and become the greatest insect user of all time. Why? Because the pursuit of perfection is what advances humanity to its greatest heights."

"Ambitious," Kurenai says. "And interesting. Winter melon, eh..."

"Is there a problem with that, sensei?" he asks. Wow. A little defensive, aren't we?

"Yeah. It's weird." And this woman doesn't pull her punches. "I don't know anyone who likes winter melon at all."

"It's an acquired, perhaps a...refined taste."

"Oho...refined, huh?"

I nudge Hinata. No need to let this turn into a bloodbath so early.

"A-ah...my name is Hinata...Hyuuga," she starts shakily. "I'm a genin and member of the...Hidden Leaf's Hyuuga Clan. They're...one of...I-I mean, they are the greatest clan of the Leaf...um, I like...I like to press flowers...and cinnamon rolls...and, um...my dream is to become strong...like the people that I admire."

She blushes and goes quiet again. I pat her head in approval, and she calms a bit. A good job for her first try.

"From what I know of you, that's a big step. But it's my job as your sensei to help you get there," Kurenai says. "That kind of effort will make you a fine woman, Hinata."

"Kurenai-sensei...thank you..."

"Any time. And now, we come to the number one rookie. Tell us about yourself, Lili."

"Yes." I seem to know what I want. Nothing truly set in stone, but...it never hurts to reach for the stars. "My name is Lilith Kobayashi. My friends and comrades call me Lili. I'm the top rookie genin of the Leaf. My mother is a socialite and gravure model, while my father is a rice magnate. I developed shinobi talents and find myself enjoying them, despite being from a rich family. I live in an apartment with my beautiful maid and guardian, Luna. I like curly fries, milk, and Midori-nee a whole lot. I also really like girls. And my dream..."

I clasp my hands together dramatically.

"I want to become strong and elegant like my sister, discover the world, and find the most outrageously beautiful wife. Becoming a full-fledged shinobi will help me accomplish all of these things."

"A wife? I see," Kurenai says with a nod. "I personally prefer men, but you know how it goes."

"That's fair. I know that Hinata is the same," I say as Hinata blushes.

"Hm. That would make you the daughter of Kobayashi Rice's CEO, then. I can see why you would want to travel, you must have lived a sheltered enough life under those conditions. Being able to defend yourself is a good asset, and the village does send you on missions far and wide. When you become a chuunin, you should think about petitioning the Hokage to become a special envoy," Kurenai explains. "It involves a lot of back and forth travel. That way, you'll get to see all kinds of exotic women with good figures."

"Ah. I'll take that into consideration." Kurenai really is good. Not only accepting my preferences, but finding a way to mix them into a potential shinobi career. Very nice.

"Let's finish our light breakfast here and get going."

We do so, taking a few more minutes to finish before heading outside. Kurenai stretches her arms before holding up one finger to the air and nodding.

"Okay, so...as I suggested earlier, we'll be getting barbeque for lunch. Shino and Hinata know the spot that I'm talking about. Let's call it three hours from now. The reason why I kept your breakfast light will become clear."

"Sensei, what will we be doing before then?" Shino asks.

"A team-building exercise."

I don't like where this is going.

"I'm going to head to a specific spot in town, and you're going to track me down. You've got three hours to do so. If you pass, you'll get an interesting prize along with your barbeque. If you fail...well, one of you is going to be punished harshly. Use the skills you have to find me before time runs out. You're starting now."

"W-wait...!" Hinata protests.

Kurenai winks before disappearing in a swirl of cherry blossoms. "Good luck~"

"She's swift...I didn't get to plant my insects onto her," Shino mutters. "Not cool..."

"Lili...w-what are we going to do?" Hinata asks. "She said we have to find her in three hours, but the Leaf is s-so big...a-and she could be hiding anywhere."

"..." I do wonder what I can do in this situation. There's really not that much time to find her, considering the size of the village...I should do something.

In fact, I think I will. I have just the tool for this.

Last edited:
"Yeah. Iruka-sensei and him used to hang out. Turns out it was all fake. He never liked Iruka-sensei at all and was just sucking up to impress the Hokage. Real scumbag. What happened was...he found me that night, after you and your family took me out to eat. He told me about a secret scroll, one that the Hokage kept around with all sorts of techniques and stuff. If I could learn something out of that, he said that I'd defintely be able to graduate. He tried to stick up for me after Iruka-sensei failed me, earlier in the day. So, I...well, I got the Hokage with 'that' jutsu. You know the one."

"Unfortunately."

"I even remembered what you said and added a bit more of that 'boing-boing'...man, you should have seen the look on the old man's face. Went down faster than ever!"

I clear my throat. He rubs the back of his head sheepishly.

Lili is probably either happy about Naruto taking her advice or disappointed that the Hokage fell for it

"What you did was reckless and foolish. You could have hurt many people. Maybe even killed them with your actions. You nearly put a dangerous power into the hands of a criminal and endangered the village, weakened its security, and brought shame to everyone you knew."

"..."

"But Iruka-sensei is right. You are a member of this village. You are cared for. You are needed, and necessary. Naruto, you are worth something no matter what happens, or what type of skills you do and do not have. Remember that. Treasure it. And focus on the fact that you did accomplish something great, with your own two hands."
Makes his way to my side, and whispers into my ear. Steps back a bit.

"Is that so," I say. It's something heavy. Something...I think should be unbearable.

"Yeah. Mizuki blurted it out in the forest." He looks down at his feet nervously.

"I see." I stand up and go to leave. "You should understand something."

"What...is it?"

I place a hand on his cheek, and stare into his blue eyes. I want him to remember this moment.

"What you might be to the world, and what terrible thing you might have inside of you...all of that is meaningless before me. Remember that. You will always be Naruto to me."

Naruto would die for you oh look Lili has made the Fool social link level up to rank 7

also very cute
"I'll see you, then. Take care of yourself." I slowly let my hand slide down from his face, and start my walk home.

The Nine-Tailed Fox. The means by which the Fourth Hokage saved the village...a child who became a jinchurriki at birth. I don't know the reasons, so I cannot judge them. But the way this village has treated him...it hurts too much. I don't know if it's something I can truly forgive. I will try, though. For his sake. And for the sake of the Fourth, who gave of himself as well.

If all I can do is stand by Naruto's side, then that is what I will do.

and Naruto has reach rank 7 with Lili's social link, which raises the question what is Lili's arcana? the emperor, the empress, strength, justice or another one?

"Shino," I say to him as we approach. He pushes up his glasses and nods to acknowledge me.

"It's good to finally greet you properly, Miss Genius." A strange way of speaking, but not particularly cold. Nothing like Sasuke, anyways.

"I feel the same. It's nice to meet you, Shino." I bow and Hinata follows suit. Shino bows in return. "Lili is fine."

"I'll note that...but I think last names sound a bit cooler."

so Shino is a Chunni, which sounds like a fun idea
"Yeah. It's weird." And this woman doesn't pull her punches. "I don't know anyone who likes winter melon at all."

"It's an acquired, perhaps a...refined taste."

"Oho...refined, huh?"

Shots fired by Shino

"..." I do wonder what I can do in this situation. There's really not that much time to find her, considering the size of the village...I should do something.

In fact, I think I will. I have just the tool for this.

Lili: Luna/Midori-nee I need help on finding where a straight woman would hide.probably not​

Hm. Hinata and Shino are good trackers due to their bloodline/clan technique respectively, so I can see why finding Kurenai works as a test for them, but I don't think we've seen anything to indicate Lili has any tracking abilities. Her snakes, perhaps?

I'm gonna need you guys to stop asking important questions that should have been answered in the story earlier ok thanks

Her snakes, perhaps?
It involves snakes and/or snake accessories. I hinted at it. Sort of. I think. Meh.

and Naruto has reach rank 7 with Lili's social link
Naruto would die for you oh look Lili has made the Fool social link level up to rank 7

also very cute
that sound you hear? it's Hinata loudly sweating in the corner

I'm just waiting on the inevitable Anko meeting. Should be incredibly amusing.

"Not at all. I'm used to it. And she doesn't do anything to make me uncomfortable, or feel like I'm inadequate. So it's more than fine."

Inadequate. XD

If she's sharing Hyuuga 'Largest in the village besidesign Tsunade and mid-baika-no-jutsu-Cho' Hyuuga''s routine, then that team is gonna end up 'Team Aburame Shino and the Marshmallow Hell.'

Teamwork
Scarlet Justice - ep. 17
"Teamwork"
---

From a time that seems like years ago, Midori made a promise to me that I would learn certain techniques as soon as I got up to speed. And in the gap between my graduation and today, I was able to take hold of two of them, one coming out better than the other. As a result, my tongue has become stronger than before, and a bit more flexible. Immediate implications of this change are obvious. I am not at 'that' point yet, clearly, but...well, I can muse on it later. For now, it's time for business.

"The skill you're learning here is called Jacobson's Eye."

Midori's voice echoes through my head as I review my ability.

"It's a serpentine technique in form and in function. By tasting the atmosphere around you with your tongue, and objects as well, you can detect scents and chakra signatures. The information you collect can be used to track targets, identify obstacles, and even navigate without the aid of your other senses."

The result of this is a plain picture of the world around me, painted in my mind's eye as the technique activates. Darkness filled up by solid white lines to make up people, places, and things. And to help me move forward, small paths of light will trail the objects I choose to focus on and track. Right now, the technique isn't terribly strong. Midori says that it will mold itself to my desired shape as I continually use it, and it grows more and more powerful.

The second technique is already fully realized, but will take a lot of time to gain control of and eventually master. But the boon there is that it doesn't require any of the five senses to use...

Right. We have less than three hours. Time to work.

"There's no need to worry," I announce after coming out of my own world. "I'll handle the first part of this mission. Please make room."

Hinata nods and steps back, Shino following suit. I concentrate, and then quickly weave several unnecessary handseals before clapping my hands together.

"Ninja Art! Indomitable Special Tracking Technique: The Eye of Jacobson!"

"Oh...!"

"..."

I walk forward and pick up a rock, then lick it once. Success.

"Ah, it worked."

"Kobayashi...so this is the true reach of your power?" Shino asks.

"It's nothing special." It really isn't. It's just a tracking technique and I was having fun with that silly naming scheme.

"Hm." Shino nods. "I see...downplaying your ability. A sound strategy."

"..." I look over to Hinata, who seems mesmerized for some reason.

"W-wow...so that's an elite shinobi technique..."

"..." She fell for it, too. She really is easy to bully.

I sigh and close my eyes to concentrate, entering the black and white world. I can visualize Kurenai's path...it's a little distorted due to my inexperience, but I have the direction that she's started off in.

"Hinata, Shino. This way."

"Yes!"

"Understood."

They willingly follow me to the northeast as I continue along the thin trail. It waves back and forth in front of me, but I have the general direction still in hand. With more work, I can easily use this technique to pick a needle out of a haystack...but right now, this one is still in its infancy. The trail gets cold, and I sweep the earth with one finger as I move, licking at it.

Kurenai's signature has faded off around this area. Foot traffic is low, and there are several small shops in the vicinity. Trying to throw us off, then?

"..."

Oh, she really is good. She planned this out from the very beginning and played her part to perfection. An early meeting in a comfortable place, quickly broken off. Tea and breakfast, followed by light conversation to lower our guards. Then suddenly springing the mission on us mid-conversation. Hinata was too busy to memorize her chakra network with the Byakugan, and Shino wouldn't be able to use his insects in time - especially since she sat on the opposite side of the table on purpose.

But this technique, and my affiliation with the snakes...this is your small advantage. I will have to leverage it as best I can. But I can't do it alone, even if everyone calls me a genius.

Another thing comes to me, that will make this more difficult. "She didn't say anything about staying put," I point out to my teammates.

"I see," Shino replies. "So we also have to put her in an inescapable position."

"That's a lot," Hinata says quietly. "Is...it possible for us?"

"I would say so," I reply to her. "We're comrades that can work together to solve any problem. We should figure out our next move." The entire time, I've been concentrating and tasting the air as we walk around. Barely anything...all I know is that she's around here somewhere and hiding, but that might not be the case. She could be closer to the barbeque place by now. But I'm familiar with her chakra and quite pleasant scent by now.

Thirty minutes have passed. There's still some time left to go.

We have options. We can head back to the shop to regroup. But that would waste more time and might not lead to anything good. We can manually search the area for Kurenai...my tracking skill might bring up something, but it seems unlikely. She's erased herself pretty well, likely in anticipation of Shino's insects. The locals could help, but she'd probably take on a disguise to shut that down. And we can search closer to the end goal, but that runs back into the problem of the first option, taking up too much time.

Shino? He could help, but a cloud of insects would be too obvious, and she would be on guard for that.

"..."

But...there is something that she can't stop, no matter how hard she tries. The low foot traffic I noted earlier plays right into our hands. I walk closer to Hinata.

"There's something I want you to do for me."

"Ah...okay. What is it?" she asks eagerly. I smile and lean closer to her.

"I'll need you to use those eyes of yours...sensei should be here somewhere," I whisper. "Walk slowly to where you think she might be. Do you trust me?"

"Yes," she whispers back.

"I'm happy that you do. Let's begin."

As I pull away, I see that her eyes have brightened as her bloodline ability activates. The low traffic should help her find Kurenai...it won't be hard to pick up on an adult like her as it is, on top of being a kunoichi.

"Lili...it's the first building down the road with glass doors. I think...it's her. She seems like she's sitting down."

"There are probably a couple of different ways she can escape," I say without turning. Shino is turned in another direction, quick as ever to adapt. "In case she can see you, don't use your bloodline limit once you get close."

"Yes, understood." Hinata starts to walk towards Kurenai's location. Shino and I start to move in different directions. Finding her is the first part, catching her is the next. We have to be precise with our next few moves, now that Hinata is moving alone.

"Shino, I'll leave this part to you. Please have your insects spread out for now."

"Understood." I can hear a slight buzzing as the bugs take off. Activating my technique again, I can faintly note that Kurenai is on the move. Hinata, who I can also see, has stopped in front of the shop.

Time to move.

I loop around back towards the shop front and see that Kurenai has already walked past Hinata. I reflexively focus downwards, though my ability has already told me enough: there's no shadow beneath her, and it's a clone. Hinata starts towards a cloaked figure and attacks, but it jumps away quickly to a rooftop.

"Not bad."

I draw a kunai - these real ones feel ever so slightly different than the academy ones - and clash with the one in the 'stranger's' hand. Hinata's open palm strike is deflected as well, and she's driven back by a kick that she barely blocks.

"But your moves are predictable. Those insects? They won't reach me," Kurenai says as she body flickers through the wave of insects approaching from below us. With a quick movement, she throws a shuriken behind her head that lands right at Shino's feet.

"Is that all you have? Listen, don't play around...come at me with a better effort next time, or you're done for."

She uses a smoke bomb to escape my sight. Bad luck. Seems that we've failed...

Time to try again.

"Lili...here. I think this will help us end it..."

"?" What does Hinata mean by...wait. I understand what she means and flick my tongue along her palm. That's definitely Kurenai, and her path has solidified completely in my mind. We're locked in.

"Did you think of this before?" I ask.

"Y-yeah...I figured that if I could at least touch Kurenai-sensei, you could use that to your advantage..." And she's been worrying about her ability...figuring out my technique and then thinking about the best way to exploit it is something very clever. Though...I wonder if something like that happened only because it was me...

"I'll have to do better next time with an ambush," Shino says as he joins us on the roof. "My apologies, Kobayashi."

"It's fine. That wasn't your fault, and we've made up more than enough ground thanks to Hinata. I don't think she knows about my technique yet, so we should hunt her down. Ready!"

"Ready!" they both reply. We take off across town, now hot on Kurenai's trail. It takes a bit before we manage to catch up, but we're soon within range.

"I can see her," Hinata says. "She's continuing to move at high speed..."

So she's taking us seriously now. Fine by me.

"We've almost caught up. Should we move and attack her head on?" Shino asks.

I look at the timepiece on the inside of my wrist briefly. Two hours left. We can be cautious as long as we keep in range. But we can also try to end this now, before we get worn down by the chase.

"Hm." Easy solution, then. We'll surround her and then close in. "I'll go on ahead. Both of you surround her and then start moving inwards."

"I have a plan that I want to set in motion," Shino says.

"Fine with me. Hinata?"

"I feel the same...let's try it," she says.

We come together to talk, then quickly separate. I nod to my comrades and then accelerate ahead, making sure that I'm well out in front of Kurenai as I move. She takes note of me and swivels her head to note Shino and Hinata closing distance. I use my technique to measure out everyone's paths. They get close enough and I spin around, jumping off the nearest roof and towards Kurenai as she lands on another one nearby. I throw several senbon and she deflects them all, Hinata taking the chance to jump in from my right to start her taijutsu. Kurenai quickly side steps her attack and is aware of Shino, who starts to use his insects. She body flickers towards him, seeming to close the gap before he can respond.

"!"

She suddenly stops and throws a shuriken quickly, dispersing the insect clone.

"Nice try!"

Another swarm of insects tries to surround her, but she quickly jumps to another roof - towards me. I rush forward and engage, but she dispatches me with a quick knee-

"What...?"

-and I explode into a cloud of insects. She evades backwards, running into Shino. He moves in a familiar stance, and I see Kurenai's eyes widen in realization. It's too late for her; 'Shino' transforms back into Hinata tags her arm with a precise palm strike. The insects catch up to drain her chakra.

Kurenai jumps to the ground, and the insects leave her as she gasps for air.

"Tch...that was a pretty good trap. But you let up too soon, kids...it's not over yet." She's right, Shino didn't drain her far enough. Even if she's weakened, Kurenai is still an elite soldier, enough to overwhelm one of us genin with pure strength.

She grits her teeth. "You first."

"!"

She accelerates towards Shino and Hinata lets out a panicked gasp - no mistake, that's the real one. And he's not nearly fast enough to get out of the way. If Kurenai gets him, then there's every chance she will get away afterwards, and we won't have the manpower to take her down.

I'm fast enough. I have to be. I can get there...but I can't do much after that. I'll be at her mercy.

"..."

Shino is putting on a cool face, but I know he must be panicking.

Right. It's decided.

"Hinata, move ahead."

I push chakra through my body and take off, meeting Kurenai right at the point of impact. I desperately clash my kunai against hers, throwing off her attack and knocking over Shino. My body hits the ground hard and I wince, enough for her to recover and start a takedown...

"Y-yield, sensei..."

...but my faith is rewarded. Shino surrounds Kurenai with insects, and Hinata has her fingers pressed into Kurenai's back before she can advance towards me.

"..." Kurenai grimaces and sighs before raising her hands. Shino's insects retreat, and Hinata backs away. "You brats really are good, huh..."

"Something like that," I reply. I grab onto my sensei's hand as she extends it, and pull myself up.

"Why do that, Lili?" she asks. I know what she's getting at.

"We're comrades that can do anything we put our minds to. And I saw my comrade in trouble...I had faith in Shino and Hinata. With their abilities, even if I was taken out they could coordinate and finish the mission. I felt better served in that situation as a decoy, drawing attention so that they could prepare themselves. As soon as I made my move, they understood my intentions."

"When I saw Kobayashi coming towards me, in an attempt to intercept you, sensei...that said enough to me," Shino says.

"Yeah...w-we knew that we only had this chance left if anything went wrong. Lili put herself at one end...trusting us with the other," Hinata finishes.

"What the hell...haha. I thought I would have to show you guys how to work together as a team, but you figured it out in an hour or two. So much for that, eh," Kurenai says with a smile.

"Hinata and Kobayashi have a high synergy rate," Shino points out.

"He's not wrong. And it's easy to be motivated by someone so cute," I say with a straight face. Hinata predictably blushes at that.

"Well, we've finished with time to spare...let's head to lunch. I'm treating you guys as promised, and I'll have your extra reward ready later, promise." She helps dust me off and I do the same for her. We start on our way at a normal pace this time.

Shino is as cool and aloof as always. Hinata looks to be her timid self, but her face is bright with confidence. And Kurenai, our sensei from here on, carries herself elegantly. I want to know more about her, but I think that can wait a while longer. And Luna will have much to tell me after their meeting.

So, Shino it is.

"Hoi, Shino."

I catch up and walk beside him. He pushes up his glasses with one finger.

"You're sure that you want to talk to me?"

"We're teammates now," I point out.

"Yes, but even so...we don't necessarily have to interact beyond missions, or like each other."

"Mm." A pragmatist, then. Interesting.

"But I appreciate your efforts. What did you want to talk about, Kobayashi?"

Or maybe he's just a difficult guy. "Tell me about your journey to become a shinobi. Are you also an elite?"

"Probably. My father is the head of the Aburame Clan."

"Ah. So you might be the next head."

"It's his intention. What do you mean by 'too'? Are you royalty?"

"Just wealthy. My sister is, but we're not blood-related."

"That sounds like a television drama."

I roll my eyes. "You really are difficult to deal with."

"It's a lot like a woman to say such a thing. My mother is the same."

"Is she also a shinobi?" I ask.

"No. She's a housewife. She married into the clan and doesn't mind it at all. Apparently insects have always interested her."

I think on that a moment. "I suppose making love to a bug person would be difficult otherwise."

"I don't know why you would think that. Are you a pervert?" he asks.

I pout at that. "That's a rude question. I'm simply curious and like to explore sexual topics sometimes."

"When you said Hinata was cute, did you mean that?"

"I was teasing her, but those are my real feelings as well. She really is cute," I say. "But she's very much in love with someone else. I'm supporting her all the way. This bond we have now...it's more than enough for me."

"That means you would try and seduce her in another situation."

"Well, yes. Why wouldn't I? I said it clearly earlier, I like girls."

"It could be a phase," he counters.

"No," I reply. "Women are nice and soft and beautiful. I'm not interested in men. Not even Sasuke, before you try and ask. I'd like to travel the world and get myself a good wife."

"Hm."

"What, you're not going to say something like 'that's really simple minded', or something?" I ask him.

"Well...there is that, yes." Rude. "But where does becoming a shinobi fit into this? I was born into this life, and you weren't."

I run a hand through my hair. "Strength controls everything. Don't be foolish...you need power to survive in any world, whether it's that of the rich, or that of shinobi. And this opportunity requires strength of all kinds. That is why I pursue it." I sigh.

"Yes...I've heard that a lot."

"You really are annoying."

"Yes, I've heard that as well."

"I like you."

He freezes up and looks at me. "I...pardon?"

"I like you, Shino," I repeat with sincerity. "You're a good person."

"Why would you say something like that?" he asks, regaining his composure. "As I said, you have no need to try and soften me up. As long as we perform together on missions competently-"

"There are...very few people in this world to trust. Very few to bond with. Very few people that care for others. I saw it, Shino. When I took that blow for you earlier...you were concerned for me. You worried, more than you did about your own well being."

"..." He's quiet. "Is this from when Sasuke..."

"My world changed from that point on," I say.

"I'm sorry."

"Please, don't apologize. It wasn't your fault. You see, I was right." I give him a smile. "You're really a good guy."

"I can see why Hinata looks at you the way she does. She's changed, especially since we left the Academy." He looks at me again. "And you have...a much softer side than I imagined. For better or for worse, you see things as they are in the world. You...don't really like people. So I suppose that being liked by you is important."

"..."

"What is it?" he asks.

"The way you talk isn't...accessible," I explain gently. "You're lucky that you have Hinata and I as teammates. And Kurenai as your sensei."

"Hmph."

"Also...something important for you."

"Yes?"

I flip my hair backwards, over my shoulder. "If you're going to use your insects often, be sure to withdraw and reapply them as needed. I take baths daily and wash my hair."

"I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thank you. We're at our destination." He turns to face me squarely. "I know you have more things to tell me about your past. Is it painful?"

"Yes," I say to him. "I will reveal all to you in time, Shino."

"Fine. I can live with that."

I nod and enter the restaurant ahead of him.

On the other, other hand Naruto has quite the talent with his sexy transformation technique.

That reminds me I want a trans naruto story one day.

Hinata nods and steps back, Shino following suit. I concentrate, and then quickly weave several unnecessary handseals before clapping my hands together.

"Ninja Art! Indomitable Special Tracking Technique: The Eye of Jacobson!"

"Oh...!"

"..."

I walk forward and pick up a rock, then lick it once. Success.

"Ah, it worked."

"Kobayashi...so this is the true reach of your power?" Shino asks.

"It's nothing special." It really isn't. It's just a tracking technique and I was having fun with that silly naming scheme.

"Hm." Shino nods. "I see...downplaying your ability. A sound strategy."

"..." I look over to Hinata, who seems mesmerized for some reason.

"W-wow...so that's an elite shinobi technique..."

"..." She fell for it, too. She really is easy to bully.

Run Hinata run you have two Chunnis for teammates and they will try to corrupt you.

Overall nice chapter and shows how the team will work together
"I don't know why you would think that. Are you a pervert?" he asks.

I pout at that. "That's a rude question. I'm simply curious and like to explore sexual topics sometimes."

The answer is yes Shino it's yes.

And I can see naruto coming up with a crazy plan to beat Lili in a fight if they are against each other in the Chunin exam using his sexy justu once he prefects it with both Jiraiya's and Lili's help.

Back