Votes: 29 18.4%
  • Professional Lili

Votes: 26 16.5%
  • Villainess Lili

Votes: 37 23.4%
  • Suave Lili

Votes: 28 17.7%

• Total voters
"You're not like Sasuke," I say, to his surprise. "You understand. But...the result will be the same."

He blinks before responding with a stupid, cocky smirk. "Yeah? We'll see about that."

Well Lili will be right and wrong, right that she wins the fight and wrong in the aftermath.

"You're alone, too...aren't you?" I hear him ask me.

And suddenly, I understand. Something to prove. Something to strive for. But on his own terms, for his own reasons. More than chasing Sasuke, he wants to see if he can reach me.

"..."

It seems I didn't judge this boy correctly. Still...I will have to crush that ambition of his. We're still worlds apart. He will have to learn his place today. Painfully.

Crush Naruto's ambition... hahahahaha I'm sorry there are better odds of Lili becoming an Isekai protagonist than her crushing Naruto's ambition.

A blonde woman in twintails, completely naked, with smoke still lingering over her most sensitive areas. My hand is gripping one of her breasts, caught in my intended grab from earlier. She looks at me with a nervous smile.

"S-so...um...hi?"

I feel like I should be impressed. Even the voice matches a woman's perfectly.

There are far too many questions. Iruka looks like he's about to lose his mind.

Lili is doomed to fallfor this technique one day.
"It seems you don't understand," I say with a flip of my hair. "A woman's body has nuance to it. The feeling of her soft flesh. The curvature of her healthy frame. And the lovely comfort and bounce of her chest. All of these things and more need to be considered if you're going to imitate it. Otherwise, it's just cheap trash. I suppose you've never even touched a pair of breasts, so I wouldn't expect you to understand."

"But...but-but-but...doesn't that make you a pervert, too?" he whines.

"A pervert? Don't be even more of an idiot. I simply know what I'm talking about as a woman. Your useless imitation is only good for luring in the most egregious perverts from a distance. And leaving all of that aside, doing things of this nature shouldn't be the only thing you know how to do with the transformation technique. If you're that limited, you might as well drop out of school now," I say with a hand on my hip.

The lady does deny too much
"Hm..." Naruto rubs his head before taking a stance. "Alright! Then all I have to do is beat the secrets for the perfect Sexy Jutsu out of you!"

I blink at him. There's a realization, somewhere. Clearly he's a single-minded idiot. A massive pervert. A buffoon. Lazy. Loud. Supremely annoying.

Run Lili run before you lose to friendship no justu.

"E-even if you say that..."

I blink. Is...is he blushing?

"Don't get the wrong idea!" Naruto yells, pointing at me. "I'm gonna beat you one day, Kobayashi, believe that!

Naruto is shocked anyone is acknowledging his efforts and with that it's too late Lili has made a life long friendship and friendship no justu has claimed another victim.

I do notice something. There were some scrapes and bruises on Naruto that I know were present during the fight...they're all gone now. Aside from the dirty clothing, it doesn't look like he was in a fight just now. And he's bouncing around like usual, like he hasn't used a drop of energy.

Why that's strange lili you might want to ask people but good luck getting any answers until canon starts.

"When you think about it, Lili...this truly was the Naruto: Shippuden."

"...why do you say things."

"When you think about it, Lili...this truly was the Naruto: Shippuden."

"...why do you say things."

I'm with Lili and boo.

But also one thing I should have said is this is going to change a decent amount of canon since Naruto now has a peer who is friendly with him so he'll probably won't be as desperate for friendship and will probably get a crush on Lili instead of Sakura.

I sigh. "Don't give me weird names. I said that Lili is fine."

"Ehh~!" He puts his hands behind his head. "Hey, make sure you show me how a girl is really supposed to be. One day soon, okay?"
Accidental innuendo ahoy!

Kinda surprised to see the sexy jutsu this early. I figured it wouldn't appear til around graduation, at the earliest.

Acceptance
Scarlet Justice - ep. 13
"Acceptance"
---

I head home in much higher spirits than before. Seems that fight and all of the interactions it provided really did me well.

I hop up the stairs to the apartment, opening the door to the feeling of cool, fresh air. Wonderful. As I close the door behind me, I can already smell my favourite. Warm, crispy curly fries with a hint of spice.

"Lili~!"

That voice...

I drop my bag and jump into my sister's arms, snuggling into her as she spins around and embraces me. I've missed her terribly. My mind flickers back to that moment in time where I thought I would never see her again, and it makes me want to never let go. I can feel her gently stroking my head.

"I've missed you, too. Luna told me about what happened..."

"It's fine now," I say. "I've overcome it, surely."

"That's so wonderful to hear." I feel her squeeze me a bit tighter. She really is warm, especially today...and I can smell another familiar scent mixed with her own. Why can I not place it...?

"Were you in the sun today?" I ask as she sets me down. Her kimono today is coloured red, with patterns of green leaves etched into the silk.

"Mm...I wasn't. But I have other means of keeping warm nowadays," she says with a sly smile.

"Ah. Is Luna out?"

"I am right here, Miss Lilith. Forgive my absence, I meant to meet you when you came in." Luna emerges from her room and shakes out her hair. I hug her and realize the source of the familiar, yet unfamiliar scent on Midori.

"Oh, I see. You two were doing something lewd earlier," I say with realization. Luna blushes.

"Just a bit, yes. You don't mind, do you?" Midori asks.

"Not at all. As long as I can sleep at nights, it's fine."

Luna sighs. "Miss Lilith...you really are..."

"What a cheeky child we have, hm?" Midori smiles and giggles behind her hand. "Well, it's been far too long and I've been far too busy lately. Come, my love. Tell me about your days at school while we eat."

We share a large plate of curly fries, and I talk about what has been happening so far.

"Uchiha...yes, the last survivor. His brother has a contract with one of the kingdoms that we keep in contact with. From what I know...well, that information is too heavy for you at the moment, my love. Uzumaki, though." Midori taps her fan on the table. "Could he be a distant descendant? I wonder. There's such a large gap between that time and Lady Mito, and I had no access to those records. I should look into that properly." She sighs and looks at me. "I wish I could have been by your side after that horrible experience, Lili. But to face death like that, and to overcome it...you truly are strong. You are much stronger than you might realize right now. We will have to talk more after you graduate and are assigned a team. And of course, I'll be here for your graduation."

I nod. "Good."

"I've actually been having tea with Emi in some of my fleeting spare time, just to keep an eye on regional movement. She isn't as boring as I first thought, far from it. I like her."

"The things she's said have become very relevant."

"Oh, I have no doubts about that. Emi is a guarded woman, but she has much experience in the ways of the world. Or rather, she is guarded because of that experience. Sometimes we tend to make judgements based on what we know of people. Those can and should be subject to change, Lili."

"Yes. I experienced that when I fought with Naruto."

"Exactly. We can't be perfect all of the time, but we can learn from our mistakes and do better for the next time. That is how we elevate ourselves, and how we grab hold of our destinies. There is no shame in being wrong, there is shame in remaining ignorant."

"I see. I will remember that, Midori-nee."

"Very good." Luna takes away the empty plate and replaces it with a glass of fortified milk. I drink it down as Midori muses over something else.

"I wonder...that woman is still around, after he abandoned her. I should be able to ask a favour of her..."

"..." I wonder what she means by that, but I also don't bother to question it. I file it away like the other secrets, knowing that when I am truly ready, everything will be explained. It only makes sense to wait.

---

The end of the semester approaches. Today's lesson is again related to shurikenjutsu, or the use of all kinds of shinobi tools in combat. I tinker a bit while the lessons are going on and think of non-combat applications. These might be useful on smaller missions.

Iruka tells me that I've been forging ahead at a nearly unprecedented pace. I am in reach of third place for the Academy's records. The person who was in second place is that man, Itachi Uchiha. I would have assumed that his name would be redacted from all records, but that's not the case. It's interesting to see. The person in first place is none other than the man who became the Fourth Hokage, Minato Namikaze. He does remind me of Naruto a bit when I look at the photos they have of him. It must be the hair...a coincidence, to be sure.

I would hope so, anyways. It's a bit silly to entertain other thoughts.

Landing in that kind of company would mean a lot to me. All I would have to do is get a perfect score on the final exam at this point...it's mathematically impossible for me to fail no matter what I do the rest of the term. My score might affect what team I end up on later, and of course the distance to my next promotion.

I really am getting into this shinobi thing, aren't I? Maybe I should keep going once this is over.

Iruka meets with me after the last class of the day. He sits on the big table at the front and I sit across from him on one of the desks.

"You know, I really am grateful for you."

"Me? You shouldn't say things like that all of a sudden, sensei," I say with a smile. "Someone might get the wrong idea. And playing with a young girl's heart like that..."

He laughs. "You really are a handful. But, seriously...Hinata has really grown because of the attention you gave her. And recently, Ino has become more focused. Still herself for the most part, but she's become more of a leader overall. Naruto...Naruto is..." He rubs the back of his neck, looking for the words. "He's alive, I guess. Which is good. And his grades have slowed their freefall..."

"That much seems to be an accomplishment."

"Yeah. Is everything okay with you?"

"It's fine. I saw my big sister the other day, which helped me immensely."

"Oh, that's good. It's...Midoriko, right? She has an important position as a noble, you said."

"Yes."

"Heh. It's good to have people in high places. You're thinking of working for her once you're done with school?"

"I'm not. I want to become a shinobi full time, sensei."

"Really? Hm. I'm not upset or anything. I just thought that this might have been a short thing for you, you know?"

"It was the intent at first. But once my mother sees my growth and accomplishments, I suspect she'll support me taking on this sort of thing full time."

Iruka nods. "Well, I sort of hope she does. There's a lot that goes on in the shinobi world, some tough things that you have to deal with over and over again. It's not exactly easy. But if you do want to continue...I would feel a lot safer knowing that you're around, Lilith."

"There you go again, sensei. Talking too much for your own good."

Iruka folds his arms. "Come on. I'll be an old man soon, I can hope for that much, can't I?"

"I suppose so. Be at peace, then. I'll protect you and your dreams, sensei."

"Now who's talking too much?"

I stick my tongue out at him before laughing.

---

I think about how I want to spend the remaining days of school, and decide that I will work hard for the time being. It will mean a little less time to rest, but seeing the proud faces of all those who have been supporting me...yes, it will be more than worth the effort.

Iruka responds to my need swiftly and provides the appropriate supplemental material. I stay after school more often and practice using my weapons. Throwing, wielding, retrieving, defending. I work on flower arranging and find myself near the top of the class on that end. And of course, I hone my skills in the sorts of arts important to kunoichi everywhere: social persuasion and charm offensives. Naturally, I like to use girls for practice. Much more fun, especially when they start losing their composure. We do talk about and look over seduction campaigns. From the outside, they seem like too much for young girls. In reality, there are...quite a few immediately useful elements, even at this age. Sometimes because of our age.

It felt gross to think about at first, but I adjusted more as I understood. This is one of the things that never gets discussed with boys, and while Iruka most definitely knows the contents, he doesn't breach them with me. Thankfully in the modern era these practices are restricted to women of age on official missions. But knowing how to navigate situations where we might be targeted sexually by clients, enemies, or most distressingly people we know is supremely important. One of the things we drill over and over is the synthesis of quick antidotes, and we are able to carry the components on us at all times.

Matters of life and death. Not just on the battlefield.

Written tests are easy enough. I dabble in some of the advanced work and don't find it terribly hard to navigate. Higher education will be nice to have in my pocket later. I can identify genjutsu faster and break out of them with greater ease. Something that naturally came to mind as a focus because of what Sasuke did. Perhaps there are only the three known Sharingan users in the world, but what can stifle them will work wonders against every other kind of illusion user. So there's no reason to neglect this part of my repertoire.

I'm slowly getting better. And I know that after my graduation, I will improve even more. I look forward to all of it.

---

"Hi, Lili."

I look over the top of my book to see Ino standing near my desk. It's free study in the big hall today.

"Hello, Ino. What can I do for you today?"

"Well..." She rocks back and forth on her feet. "I wanted to ask something of you. If that's okay."

I set my book in my lap and give her my attention. "Ask away."

"Thanks. I'm having trouble with some of the problems involving kunai trajectory. Or, weapon trajectory in general. I'm way better at throwing them then calculating."

"Not uncommon for clan children."

"See, you get it!" she says with a smile. "So, um. I was wondering if we could study together? If you have time, I mean. I don't want to impose."

I nod. "Of course. We can start after school, for as long as you need. However, I would like an offering from you in return."

"An offering...?" She tilts her head and thinks for a moment before it comes to her. "Ah, okay! Is strawberry alright?"

"Yes."

"Hehe. Perfect, I'll be sure to have it with me later. The library after school, then. See you, Lili."

She leaves, and I quietly go back to my reading.

The promised time arrives, and I walk down the hall with Hinata towards the library. Ino meets us halfway and presents me with a bottle of strawberry milk. I open it and have a sip.

"Acceptable," I say with a nod.

"Great. Alright, we...oh. Right, I should say something."

"Hm?"

"Hinata, hello first of all. It's good to see you."

Hinata nods. "Y-you as well, Ino."

"Thanks. Listen...I know that I haven't said anything to your face, but I know that people have been bullying you for a while, and they've said some terrible things. Even if it wasn't directly my fault, I've looked down on you, too."

"Ino...l-listen..."

"Hinata, I'm sorry. I need to finish this. Would you let me?"

"Yes...of course, Ino. P-please continue."

"Thank you." She puts a hand over her heart. "I know what it means to see someone hurt, and to lift another person up. I also know what it means to be selfish, and guarded in my actions. I don't claim to be a good person, but I know that I've done my best at times for others."

"..." So that explains it. I was wondering where Sakura's sort of attitude came from, and why it was a bit shaky. Ino was encouraging her for some time, at least before they started bickering over Sasuke.

"Even so, that doesn't excuse what the other kids have done to you. I'm sorry, Hinata. I know that I need to do better, but...can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

"..." Hinata looks to me, and I shake my head. It has to be her decision. She seems to understand and nods. "I forgive you, Ino."

"Thank you."

"I...know that you're not a bad person. I always knew that. But I appreciate that you...did this for me. Thank you..."

"Yes. I understand, Hinata...thank you again for that."

"I...want something also. For myself," Hinata says nervously.

"Yeah, for sure. Whatever you want, Hinata. Name it," Ino replies.

"I want to learn more about flowers. About the patterns...and all that they could mean to someone."

"Only that much?"

Hinata nods.

"A-are you sure? I mean, I can do a lot more if you want. You've been hurt a lot, you know?"

"It's fine...that's all I want from you, Ino."

"I...I see. Then if that's all...I can do that for you. Easily. Say the word and I'm there, I promise."

"Thank you. Lili...I'll see you later?"

"Yes, you will. Take care, Hinata." We share a hug before she bows for Ino, then leaves.

"Shall we go, Ino?"

"Ah...oh, yeah." Ino snaps out of her daze as she watches Hinata leave. "I'm starting to understand a few things."

"Really. Like what?"

"Your real strength, for instance."

"I wouldn't know what you're talking about."

"Yeah, of course you wouldn't." She gives me a side-eye look before sighing. "Anyways, senpai. I'm in your care."

I sip at my milk. "Sucking up is always a good opening move."

"Ugh."

The time towards our final set of classes winds on. Hinata and I end up studying with Ino in the library a few times a week. I get my offering of milk, and Hinata gets extra lessons on flowers from Ino. Sometimes I slip out while Ino is teaching, not wanting to interrupt.

Midori appears from time to time for Luna's sake. They of course make sure to satisfy each other during the day while I'm out, which is very considerate of them. Luna is still able to keep up with her work, which is also nice.

So it goes, until the time arrives. Graduation day.

I think I'm more than ready.

Being friends with Naruto could be fun for her. Though I hope she knows to make clear that she isn't into guys. And that she doesn't want that fact to get out.

I would totally find it amusing if Lilith helped him with his perverted technique though. Though I suspect she might also help him with taijustu so that he might have a chance at surviving his chosen career.

It should go without saying that she needs to introduce him to Hinata. Some time…

Edit: Where did all these new post come from? I feel like someone pulled the rug out from under me right as I entered the door.

Also, I forgot to mention that I thought her reply to Sasuk's apology was a touch harsh. I get the feeling that he actually doesn't understand people that well, and is not experienced in making apologies.

Last edited:
"There you go again, sensei. Talking too much for your own good."

Iruka folds his arms. "Come on. I'll be an old man soon, I can hope for that much, can't I?"

"I suppose so. Be at peace, then. I'll protect you and your dreams, sensei."
An amusing banter scene, but isn't Iruka only in his early 20s?

Also, I forgot to mention that I thought her reply to Sasuk's apology was a touch harsh. I get the feeling that he actually doesn't understand people that well, and is not experienced in making apologies.
She was being quite vindictive there, so that's a natural response to have to the scene. Lili isn't the biggest people person herself.

An amusing banter scene, but isn't Iruka only in his early 20s?
The joke is that late 20s/early 30s is "old people" territory especially in anime where the main characters are usually teenagers or young adults. I think Kakashi cracks a joke about it once or twice but I can't remember (Kakashi has been fighting for more than half his life at the top of the manga, and he's mid-20s).

She was being quite vindictive there, so that's a natural response to have to the scene. Lili isn't the biggest people person herself.

Wasn't really much of an apology, IMHO. He claimed that what happened was "an accident." Yeah, he accidentally grabbed Lili around the neck and squeezed so hard he almost crushed her windpipe. Note that this happened while he was supposed to be making the seal of reconciliation, essentially the post-fight handshake. I don't think Sasuke's capable of that level of klutziness.

The joke is that late 20s/early 30s is "old people" territory especially in anime where the main characters are usually teenagers or young adults. I think Kakashi cracks a joke about it once or twice but I can't remember (Kakashi has been fighting for more than half his life at the top of the manga, and he's mid-20s).

And being a Shinobi is a dangerous line of work. Lots of ways to die, early and often

"Iruka, there was a note in your teachers' mailbox."

"Yeah, looks like another one of Naruto's dumb pranks. Let me see...'o-k boom-er'. What's a 'boomer'? Why is it ok? And how am I one of those?"

Graduation
Scarlet Justice - ep. 14
"Graduation"
---

"It's time, Miss Lilith. Are you ready?"

"Yes. I truly am, Luna." Luna takes special care of my hair this morning. She hums to herself as she works.

Today is the day. Nearly a year in the making.

Graduation day.

"Mistress Emi will be here soon. From our talks over the phone, she is eager to see your growth. Your father..."

"..."

She goes quiet, steadily working at the same speed with her hands running through my hair. I can tell that she's very annoyed at the least.

"He won't be able to make it. He has business to attend to."

"...yes. Of course." I feel slightly numb hearing that. But it's nothing unusual...he never was around when I needed him.

"Lady Midoriko will be here as promised. I think...this arrangement is much better."

A warm stream of water soaks my head, and Luna decides that she's finished. We trade places and I wash her back.

"Miss Lilith?"

"Yes, Luna."

"I love washing your hair. There are a lot of reasons, but...I think it's beautiful to look at. How it seems to brighten in the light, and even stands out when it's a bit dirty. Ever since I was assigned to you back at the mansion, I wanted to make sure your hair was cared for."

"I see."

"It's beautiful like you are, and I didn't want to see it neglected. If it were anyone else...I don't think they would have done the same. I realize the stigma behind it. I realize the pain that it has caused you. You must have wished at some point that you wanted a different colour."

"More than once," I admit as I move my hands across her back.

"And now?"

"I'm proud of it. And happy that my hair is so healthy. And I have you to thank, Luna. Thank you for loving me and my hair."

"You're welcome, Miss Lilith."

"Though...you shouldn't mention it to anyone else. It would come off a bit weird."

"Ah, yes. It might."

"Mm-hm." I gently pour water over her back. "Not many people understand fetishes like that. I'm sure Midori-nee doesn't mind, though."

I smile as she makes a distressed noise.

"So, what does her hair smell li-"

"You are the worst! Miss Lilith, please!"

---

To the Academy, as always. Through the front. The cafeteria to get my daily order of milk and milk products. One last review of tricky subjects while I drink, and then I get ready to leave.

Once more into this small world.

My final day of class begins.

I enter the large hall and take my seat. Iruka waves to me and I wave back. As soon as everyone has settled and the appointed time arrives, he claps his hands loudly.

"Good morning, everyone. Welcome to our last day of class, and your final exams. We'll start with the written test. You have two hours, and when your time is up, we'll call you to administer the practical examinations. Everything will be graded before you leave this room. Thank you for all of your hard work so far, and good luck to all of you."

A few minutes later, the test begins. The written examination is incredibly easy. Since I've placed at or near the top of my other courses, it all comes down to this for my final score. I have a feeling about what the instructors are going to ask of me.

Sakura finishes ahead of me and transforms into Iruka, like the suck-up she is and always will be. She gets her promised item and leaves happily.

I'm up next.

"Alright." Iruka places a hand under his chin, smiling as he thinks. "Lilith, I want you to combine the properties of the clone technique and the transformation technique. Become any three objects that you choose," he instructs.

"Hmph." I match his smile and weave handseals. A challenge, then...let's go for it.

It's easy. I make the clones and at the same time have them transformed into familiar forms.

All of the instructors are impressed, and Iruka folds his arms, looking at me with pride.

I've given them the most patriotic display: images of the First, Second, and Third Hokage.

After I dispel the technique, I approach the desk and Iruka shakes my hand. "Congratulations, Lilith. Perfect score, written test and all."

"Thank you, sensei."

"It's been a very long time since that's happened around here. And from someone who was once a foreigner to us." He reaches back and picks up something from the desk. Yes, the item that everyone was so eager to obtain.

A metal plate on a band of cloth, with a leaf etched into it. The symbol of the village. This is my forehead protector, proof of my ascension to the ranks of shinobi. As it sits in my hands, I feel accomplished. I have come so far in such a short time.

But this isn't it. I'm still not satisfied. I'm going to reach even further.

"Thank you for taking care of me, Iruka-sensei," I say with sincerity. "I'm grateful for you and your kindness." For the first time, I feel his hand come down on my head, rubbing it gently.

"The honour is all mine, Lilith. You've been a wonderful student, and a blessing to me. Good luck, though you don't need much of that, it seems. Have faith in your ability. And remember, no matter what happens...I will be right here for you."

"Iruka-sensei...thank you."

"I know your family's waiting, and unfortunately I have some more tests to do. Take care."

"Take care, sensei." I give him a salute before leaving the room, and then the academy altogether. The other children who passed are meeting with their parents, proudly showing off their headbands and celebrating.

I think about how I want to wear mine. The intended use is on my head, but...I think I could try something else. But I see someone familiar nearby, and go to meet them.

My stepmother, Emi. She stands out as usual in one of her thin silk dresses, drawing attention and thirsty looks. Some of the wives are clearly annoyed. She carries a parasol to keep the sun away, and to protect her silky black hair. I walk up to her and present my headband as proof of my accomplishments.

"Oh, so you've done it. Good work," she says. Her words seem to lack enthusiasm, but they're sincere. I can rest soundly with that much. Oh, but...maybe.

"I've graduated, and beyond that...I have placed within the top three students of all time," I tell her.

"Oho..." Yes, there it is. The haughty smile that I longed to see. "So my daughter is a genius as well. Even better. We can add this prestige to the Kobayashi name. And it will provide a good foundation for your sibling, if they should come here as well."

I blink. "Sibling. You're pregnant."

"Yes, yes...shocking, I know. Especially after those half-hearted displays of his." She sighs and rolls her eyes. "At this point, I really will have to cheat with someone outside. Or satisfy myself with the help, whichever ends up being more convenient. After I have my child, of course."

"Would you really?" I ask.

"When it comes to carnal desires, I'm not terribly picky," she says casually.

"..." I really am surrounded by perverts. At this rate, it's only a matter of time before I transform into one myself.

"Hey, Lili~!"

Midori and Luna arrive a moment later. I show them my headband proudly, and they're visibly excited.

"Congratulations! You've done well, just as I thought you would!" Midori says as she gives me a hug. "She certainly is your daughter, Emi."

She preens at that. "Of course. She's a genius through and through."

"Congratulations, Miss Lilith. I'm honoured that I could be by your side this entire time. You are going to be a fine kunoichi, I know it," Luna says.

"Thank you for being nearby, Luna. You've done more than you know." I hug her tightly.

Midori flips open one of her fans. "I will make the extra arrangements as promised. Is that alright, Emi?"

"Perfectly fine. I can see that our Lilith wants to continue," Emi says as she looks at me. I nod and she nods back. "This has progressed beyond a mere experiment. I will inform the master of the house of our decision. Though I must admit...I didn't think a woman with so much sex appeal would be so good at fighting. But it's a very pleasant surprise. Please, continue taking care of my daughter and Luna. I would be out of my depth here."

"That is a strength too, Mistress. Knowing when and where to delegate is important," Luna points out. "And you do have a fine grasp on human character..."

"You shouldn't flatter me too much, Luna." Of course, there's a smile on her face as she says that.

I suddenly notice something out of the corner of my eye. Naruto is moving away from the building, trudging more like. He is slowly going somewhere, his head down as he walks. I wonder where his parents are.

I know that Sasuke is definitely an orphan. Hinata would have been picked up by her family's servants, which I've caught glimpses of once or twice. Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji all have fathers who are high ranking officers, and they've met up already.

But Naruto...he has some sort of mysterious ability, and is actively shunned for some reason that I haven't figured out. It's strange.

Midori picks up on my gaze and silently questions me. He is a strange child, but...I have already made my decision.

"I'll be back in a moment."

"Take your time," Midori says with a smile. I nod back before heading towards Naruto. As he notices me, he puts on what is obviously a fake smile. I think I know what happened.

"Hey!"

"Hi," I reply. "What happened with your exam?"

"Oh, uh...I kinda flunked it." He shrugs. "No big deal, yeah? I'll just try again next time."

"Next time..." He's said it almost too casually. "How many times?"

"Huh?"

"You heard me," I say firmly, hands on my hips. "How many times does this make?"

"Ah, geez. You're worse than Iruka-sensei, you know?" He puts his hands behind his head. "This makes...the third time."

"You idiot." I sigh. "What do your parents think?"

His expresson turns solemn. "Never met them. The old man and Iruka-sensei, they're the only ones who really look after me. And they never have enough time. I get bored, and you know...gotta occupy myself. That's where the pranks come from."

"..." I'm...starting to see.

"I really wanna be a ninja, you know?" His face brightens. "Like the Fourth! He saved the village all that time ago from the demon fox."

"Right. The Nine-Tails," I say.

"Yep! And he got the top score in Academy history. You were pretty close, I heard." He pouts. "I'm not trying to be on that level...school's not my thing. But...my dream's to become Hokage one day. I'll get there, just...slowly. And then I'll stick it to everyone in the village! They'll have to respect me then!"

"You haven't even passed your exams yet. I bet your written score was awful."

"Yep, yep. I kinda just wing it and bet the farm on the practical..."

I shake my head. This guy really is an idiot...still. His honesty is refreshing. He has a goal...of sorts. But he's capable of identifying his own flaws, given time and space. He can carry on a normal conversation like everyone else. Seeing this side of him is refreshing. It reminds me of the time I spend with Hinata, where she's more confident and can better verbalize her ideas. I really enjoy this feeling.

"I don't really like it," Naruto says as he kicks at a stone. "I mean...I feel like I'm always letting Iruka-sensei down. He cares a whole lot, and I'm not trying to take advantage of him or anything, just...I dunno."

"My father has only ever cared about work. And...my mother died a while ago."

"O-oh. I'm...really sorry to hear that, Lili."

"It's alright. I've built a new family. Naruto...you're not alone. You...have me, I suppose. And people like Hinata."

"Hinata?" He furrows his brow in thought. Right. Idiot. Didn't realize he was being crushed on.

Hinata is a remarkable girl, to be sure.

"Forget it. You'll remember what she looks like the next time you see her." An idea comes to mind, and I decide to act on it quickly. He deserves something, even if he didn't succeed today. "Here. Come with me."

"Wha? We're going to meet her?"

"No. My family is going to have dinner to celebrate my graduation. What do you like to eat?" I ask.

"Ramen!"

"...ramen."

"Yup! I have it every day, almost!"

"Hm." A strange diet like that might explain some things. In any case, I take him by the arm and towards our little cabal. "Here."

"Ooh! Are these all your sisters?" he asks.

"Who's this? A friend of yours?" Emi asks curiously. "Have you captured a man already?"

"No. I'm not into blockheads," I say flatly.

"Too bad. Blue eyes are an attractive feature, even if he does look like a ragamuffin."

"This is Naruto Uzumaki," I explain. "He's a three-time failure with this year's pitiful performance at the exams. He's also a pervert with an interest in cross-dressing, so I thought that being in the presence of beautiful women would lift his spirits."

"Aw, come on!"

"So this is the Naruto you've been speaking of," Luna says. She looks him over curiously. "Certainly interesting. What of his parents, will they be okay with the excursion?"

"He's an orphan."

Midori looks at him for a moment before realization comes over her. It seems she's figured something out, but I will wait for her to reveal it if necessary. "I see. Naruto Uzumaki...it's certainly a pleasure meeting you."

"S-same here," he says while blushing. It's obvious where his gaze is falling, but Midori doesn't mind.

"He really likes ramen," I say. "Stepmother, may we make a change to our plans?"

"If you so choose. This is your day, Lilith."

"Thank you. Naruto, when you're finished your ogling, show us to your preferred establishment," I instruct.

"I'm not-eh? Es...tablishment?"

"The place where you like to eat," Midori explains.

"Oh, that makes sense! Okay, follow me! I know a great spot!"

---

This place is called Ichiraku Ramen. It's a modestly sized stand. Three well-dressed adult women stand out here.

The prices are relatively cheap, so it's fine to go at a good pace...or even the ridiculous pace that Naruto sets, which the shop owner doesn't even blink at. He cleans out bowls at a steady clip. Well, it's fine. The family's pockets are more than deep enough.

But this ramen really is exquisite. I will have to visit more often. The old man who owns and runs this place knows Naruto by name. His name is Teuchi, and his cute daughter Ayame helps him run the business.

"Goodness, I can't believe I missed this place in my visits," Midori says happily. "I have to make sure to go off the beaten paths more often."

Emi says nothing and eats silently. She seems to be enjoying herself as well. Her gratitude is shown by cleaning out two bowls of pork ramen, and leaving a very generous tip. Midori does the same after four bowls, and Luna thanks the owner on our behalf.

"Oh, so you're a genin now?" Teuchi asks me.

"Yes. I'll stop by again soon, with my own money."

"Haha! Looking forward to it. Not every day you get to serve a genius kunoichi! Oi, Naruto. You should follow her example."

"Yeah, yeah..."

"He's a good kid at heart, but full of mischief and way too dim," Teuchi says as he cooks. "If he's going to become Hokage, I doubt it'll be in my lifetime."

"Go ahead and pile it on, why don't you!"

"I'm not telling any lies," Teuchi counters. "You gotta get your act together, kid. Maybe not today, but someday soon. Sometimes dreams don't wait forever, you know."

"..."

Teuchi is right. Naruto seems to get annoyed with the criticism, but even he knows it's true...Teuchi and Ayame seem to be part of the few people that bother to interact with Naruto at all. From what I've seen and heard, there's some sort of secret going around about Naruto that makes the adults hate him and the children keep their distance, when they're not bullying him.

It almost certainly has something to do with the mysterious power that I saw. Perhaps they think that he's some sort of demon or evil spirit? Hm. I would ask, but apparently it's not a subject to be breached by any means.

We finish at Ichiraku's and leave after a round of goodbyes - Teuchi insisted the tips were too much; Emi and Midori would hear none of it, with Luna mediating. Ayame handled the money and everyone parted amicably.

I walk side by side with Naruto, ahead of my stepmother, Midori, and Luna. They're having a lively conversation, and the parts of it I catch suggest that it's something very lewd. Best to keep away for now.

"So...your family isn't blood-related, then."

I turn my head to Naruto as he speaks. "Yes, that's right. We're not."

"But it's funny, you know? Your big sis Midori really loves you, and your stepmom Emi is super proud of you and looks really smug and stuff, and even Luna's way more like another big sister than a maid."

"Family is far more than blood," I say to him.

"Yeah, you're right. Maybe one day..."

"You'll have to work hard to open people's hearts." I say that with him having gotten to me in the space of thirty minutes, but I feel as if I'm more open to change than most.

"..." He looks to the sky in thought. It's evening by now, and the clouds roam the skies above the Leaf. "Hey, Lili?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks. I...really had fun today."

I stop and give him a hug.

"Lili?"

"It's fine. Just...stay out of trouble from now on. Work hard on your studies." I have a feeling most of these words will fall on deaf ears, but it's worth a shot.

He ends up giving me one of his silly grins. "Yeah, definitely. Hey, once I start going on missions and stuff...we can go on a date or something, yeah?"

"Hm. Probably not. It wouldn't work out."

He blinks. "Eh?"

"I'll explain it one day. I promise."

"Alright, alright. Uh, anyways...I'll see you around, then. Thanks again." Naruto heads for home as everyone else catches up to me.

"You two would make a cute couple, I think," Emi says.

I see Luna and Midori give each other a knowing look.

"Mistress Emi," Luna says carefully, "I don't...think it would work out the way you would like, unfortunately."

"Hm." Emi shrugs lightly. "Maybe so. Shame, that."

I make myself promise to tell her the truth. One day soon.

Mizuki will come along and twist that sudden hope Lili have him and he'll ride the cannon fails to the scroll of sealing. I know it's a key part of his growth as a character, but the way he's going to be manipulated via his hope and connection to the POV Character hurts a bit more than usual.

Formation!
let's get dangerous

Scarlet Justice - ep. 15
"Formation!"
---

After some examination, I decide that I do want to change my forehead protector a bit. It's apparently okay to do so as long as the metal itself isn't modified in any significant way, or the Leaf symbol in the middle is intentionally altered, which would bring 'significant consequences' if discovered. The vague wording of that threat is warning enough, I think.

I enlist Luna's help, and her ability as a seamstress is elite as expected. The cloth is made sturdier, and I choose a new colour: a crisp green that is the colour of my sisterhood. It only makes sense that I carry Midori with me here as well. The new form will be an armband, one that goes onto my upper right arm for now. I think it looks cool and stylish. Luna and Midori watch me try it on, and they both approve of the new look.

A new outfit is in the cards as well, naturally. But I will decide on that after the next big event. Luna reminds me that I need to pick something with sleeves, both to conceal the seal on my left arm and to mask my movements when I summon snakes or throw weapons. She really has been paying attention to everything.

I keep saying that I want to be independent, but...Luna really is wonderful. I don't know if I can let go of her.

---

Emi could only stay a day or two. She has business to take care of at home, so I wish her well and advise her not to do any rash things for the sake of her child. Naturally, she is indignant and reminds me that she's perfectly capable of being responsible and sexually active and...all sorts of things someone twelve years old shouldn't be aware of. Unfortunately, I was before she said anything. It doesn't make it less gross to hear it again.

Midori thankfully is going the same way and decides to keep her company.

They both promise to visit soon; Emi to explore the Leaf's novelty, and Midori to check up on me, after tending to Luna's carnal desires first.

"Don't let that cute face fool you, eh? She's got quite the appetite~"

"Lady Midoriko, those are not things we should be-"

"It's fine. The child is clearly already aware of these things," Emi says casually. Well yes, stepmother. Your choice of clothing certainly makes me aware of a lot. "Though it's good you're getting some exercise, Luna. I was almost under the impression you were frigid."

"Ufufu...hard to believe something like that," Midori says with a smile.

Luna gulps and makes a squeaking noise.

"I think we should leave her be for now. It's not nice to bully, you know," I say. Not unless it's me, I mean.

"Oh, hush. Luna knows we mean well. Good luck to both of you on your journey into mystery and bodily harm, etcetra, etcetra," Emi says.

"You're not worried about anything happening to me."

"I don't think about such things. They bring down malicious energy." Emi places her parasol on her shoulder and saunters off. "If I pray for your safety and let your genius do the rest, there is nothing to fear, Lilith Kobayashi."

"..."

She's right. I have a lot to live for now, and the strength to make it through. She believes in all of that, and in the person I've become. A warrior princess, as she foresaw. A proud woman of the Kobayashi house.

I bow towards her back.

"Until the next, Emi Kobayashi."

Midori hugs me and gives me a smile. I smile back as she rubs my head gently. Luna gets a kiss for her troubles, and then we watch as she hurries to catch up to my stepmother. It sort of feels like the end of an era...even if Midori will be back soon enough to have her way with Luna, I suppose. But watching two important people move into the distance, with the symbol of this village now on my shoulder...

Again, I think about how much has changed since that day. Where Emi sent me on a journey, and Midori helped me find my way. Providence, perhaps? I wonder. But everything from here on will depend on my own strength. And the three people closest to me all believe in me.

I won't let them down. No. Failure was never an option.

---

A week smoothly passes, and the next phase of shinobi life begins. Instructions had already been given, but a letter comes through the mail to remind all of us of the big event.

We are to return to the Academy for a final gathering, with an important purpose: determining which team we end up on.

"Sleep."

"Miss Lilith..."

"Sleep," I say firmly. I shove Luna back into her room and pull the sheets over her. "I will be fine. Take the day off. Is Midori coming?"

"Mm-mm..."

"Then you'll be able to rest for once."

"Mm...awful..."

I smile and kiss her on the forehead. She goes back to sleep and I close the door gently behind me. Today will be a simple breakfast for growing girls. Sticky rice and salmon. A glass of the fortified milk. No equipment to gather for today's session, and my usual outfit taken for one last spin before I retire it.

"..."

Luna did say something incredible the other day. Her social gatherings with the dance and painting groups produce all kinds of juicy gossip, from many corners of the Leaf. But it's something I will have to verify with my own eyes and ears today, and I will get the opportunity without a doubt.

I leave for my destination, early as always. I'm hoping that a certain someone will be there to answer my questions about the entire process.

"Lili, hey!"

"Ino. I was hoping to see you."

She smiles as I enter the big lecture hall and find my way to her.

"Yeah? I'm flattered, obviously, but what for?"

"I had questions about the team selection process. From what I know, they're balanced based on overall scores. Top scorers usually get paired with bottom scorers, and then someone in the middle to complete the set of three," I say as I sit on the side of her desk. "So that would mean that I'm destined to be paired with the lowest scoring person, isn't that right?"

"That's how it works on paper," Ino says casually. "Oh, old habits hit me today. In the mood for a treat?"

"Always," I say. Ino hands me a bottle of strawberry milk, and I sip from it. "Refreshing."

"Best stuff in the country by a mile. Dad was kind of curious at first since I never drank that much milk, but I told him I was helping out a friend at school and he let it go."

"I appreciate this. Tell me later where you order it from."

"Got it. So, yeah. High scorers and low scorers with someone in the middle is how it works in theory, one of those bubble worlds."

"It's different in reality."

"Oh, yeah. Believe me, the teachers wish they could just sort everything like that. Not that easy," Ino says as she crosses her legs. "I already know where I'm going."

"Really? Where?"

"Shikamaru and Choji. The numbers add up, right? But that's not the real reason. It was decided the moment we entered the Academy together. You see, we're part of a Leaf tradition. It's called the Ino-Shika-Cho formation, brought together maybe fifteen or so generations ago. Our families have worked together for all of that time. We trade secrets, learn about each other, train together, and learn techniques together. Our abilities complement each other so well that it only makes sense to put us into a team together if possible. So the aim was always to have us graduate together and then form a genin team as soon as possible."

"And if something else happened?"

"We'd be put into a specific team structure until we could form up together in some other way. It's never come to that, but there's always been a plan in place for the possibilty. So you have things like that happening. Students that get pushed together for synergy reasons. The system you heard about? That's for the normies, the kids who don't have clan abilities and techniques. Clan kids change the calculus a bit. So you have the teachers looking at not only scores, but abilities and junk to see where their kids work out best. Then you have more layers on top of that. Clan politics."

"Ah. You would want to have your children taken care of as a member of an important clan."

Ino nods. "Yep. Clan heads provide what they call 'helpful input' towards the selection process. And then there's something on top of that. The guy with the big hat himself."

"The Hokage," I say.

"Has his spoon in the pot from day one," Ino says, making a stirring motion. "All the graduate lists go right to him as soon as the day is over. He pores over them, looks at the instructor notes, and then makes 'suggestions' for them to follow," Ino says while making air quotes. "So add his weight to the pile."

"I didn't think he would be so hands on."

"Well, it only makes sense. He's called the Professor because he knows literally every technique in the Leaf. So he would understand how to best balance genin teams for the greatest success. Very hands on and not like the other Kage, from what I know anyways. You've seen him around, yeah?"

"I have, in passing. I simply thought he was doing inspections."

"A little of both. The old man really cares and makes time for children whenever he can. He even babysits! Crazy, huh? One of the most powerful men in the free world, feeding babies and rocking them to sleep over his paperwork." Ino smiles. "But that's really cool! Some people complain about a projection of weakness, but...bah. It's sweet. It's good to know that the God of Shinobi actually cares about us peasants."

"Interesting..." I find myself enamoured by the Hokage already, and we have yet to formally meet. I wonder what he thinks of me, an outsider who swept away the competition so thoroughly. Hopefully I will get to see soon.

"As for you...no idea," Ino says.

"No idea?"

"You're super talented, but also a mystery. Putting you on a team with someone who scored low would definitely drag you down. But pairing you with someone at the top would probably result in a clash of egos. You and Sasuke, for example? Blegh. And that's from my end, I can't imagine you'd be able to handle it."

"You're quite warm."

"Ha. But yeah, there's really no telling where you might land. I have my theories, but...let's keep those a surprise for now," she says with a wink. "No need to spoil all the fun. This is the beginning of a new adventure."

"Right. Thank you for all of that, Ino."

"Hey, it's no trouble. Information is what I do, and you can tap me any time you like. See you in a while, then?"

The class is starting to fill up, and I nod. "Yes, in a while. Good luck, Ino."

"I'll need it for sure with those boys...oy."

I pat her head gently before finding my own seat. Oh, Hinata's here. Perfect. I touch her shoulder and she gives me a smile.

"Good morning, Lili. It's good to see you..."

"You as well, Hinata. Good morning to you."

"I'm...definitely nervous."

I sit beside her and rub her shoulder. "I know. This will be a hectic time. Remember that you've come this far already, okay? You can do this."

"Yes...thank you."

I scan the classroom and see what I expected. Luna wasn't wrong, was she?

Iruka walks to the front of the room and looks ready to speak.

"Hey! Hey, sorry! I'm not late, am I?"

"You just barely made it. Now go and find yourself a seat already," Iruka says, shaking his head.

Well. Seems those rumours were true after all.

Somehow...some way...Naruto Uzumaki has become a genin.

"Hey, Lili! I did it! I'm a ninja now!" he calls from across the room. He adjusts his forehead protector and flashes a goofy grin.

I nod to acknowledge him and he seems satisfied with that. Iruka hits him in the back of the head and herds him into an open seat. Hinata is blushing, and seems relieved at the news. The class is murmuring in disbelief.

"I suppose love really is unstoppable," I say to her.

"Lili...you know that you're awful sometimes..." She presses her fingers together.

"Yes, I know." I lean back in my seat and cross my legs.

Iruka gains control of the room again before finally starting. "Alright, everyone! Good to have you all here today. This is the day you've been looking forward to since starting at the Academy. We've gone over every aspect of your performances and scores rigorously to make sure that we get this right. These teams are the beginning of life as a shinobi. They'll be bonds that shape the rest of your lives as shinobi and beyond that. Your life-and-death partners on missions, the people who you will have to trust more than yourself at times. More than your friends, or even your family. All of this is serious business, and we instructors as well as the Hokage himself take this very seriously. More than anything, we want you to have long, productive lives."

"Is it really that serious?" I hear someone ask from behind me. It seems to be so. Shaping your very life, then. It's a heavy weight...

"I'll announce the members of each team and the instructor that you're to report to each morning, at the times they so choose. I will also give you the listed location for your first meeting. After that, you are their responsbility, and they are your field commanders. Follow their orders, unless there is something that makes you feel uncomfortable to the point where it affects your health or performance. In that case, you will report the incident to the Jounin Commander, or directly to the Hokage himself. And if you see me, don't hesitate to ask questions. I am also your advocate." Iruka reaches behind himself to pick up a clipboard, and I see him wince a moment. A back problem?

I wonder what happened?

"Now, let's get started. Stay in your seats until your names are called and your instructors are announced. After that, I want you to collect the information I have for you up front, and then you can head home. Alright? We'll start with...Team Seven." He looks at the sheet and makes an expression that I can't parse.

"Sasuke Uchiha. Sakura Haruno."

Sakura barely stifles her excitement. Guess the dork got her ultimate victory in the end. Ino doesn't seem to mind as much as I thought she would.

"And...Naruto Uzumaki."

"Hell yeah!" Naruto's cheer rings through the air. Right, Sakura was his big target all along. She looks absolutely moronic as she stares, mouth agape. Sasuke is not much better. The class is stunned.

I am as well, but I'm far more amused than anything else. Absolutely amazing. This has to be the Hokage's doing, and I love to see it.

"You'll be reporting to Kakashi Hatake. 10 am, tomorrow. I really suggest you get there early."

From what I know, this guy has quite the reputation as an instructor. He has no students...because he failed every team sent to him. But everything for a reason, I suppose. Clearly the Hokage knows something we don't.

"And now, we'll announce Team Eight," Iruka says. "The first person listed here is...Shino Aburame."

I turn my head towards the boy in his full jacket, sitting quietly on the far side of the classroom. His dark glasses always cover his eyes. From what I remember, he was never part of the bullying. Or much of anything, really. Decidedly low-energy and middling in a lot of areas. Interesting child, though. I wonder who will be with him, as a member of the Leaf's bug using clan.

"Next is Hinata Hyuuga."

Hinata nods in acknowledgement. "Shino is a nice person. I...I think we can get along."

"That's a good way to look at it," I say. From a tracking and scouting perspective, it also makes sense. Hinata's eyes and Shino's insects. Powerful reconnaissance tools on their own, and they could be better together.

"Um...Lili, I...I..."

"Hinata...?" She's nervously looking at me, almost as if she's about to cry.

Oh.

This is where we'll be split apart, isn't it? I cared for her. I gave her a small bit of light while she was in the Academy, and now I'll be taken away from her. I feel my heart sink. Even if I tell her that she's strong enough, that she's capable enough...I have been her only real friend.

I take her hand in mine. I want to reassure her that everything will be okay, that she can make it through without me.

"And the last person is...uh...huh. Really, now." I turn my head as I hear Iruka chuckle. What's so funny? He looks right at me.

There is no way. He wouldn't. He didn't.

"The last member of Team Eight..."

Iruka.

"...our top scoring graduate..."

You madman.

"Lilith Kobayashi."

"Lili...Lili, we're...on the same team. We're together...we're really together..."

Hinata finally does burst into tears, but she's happy.

"So we are," I say as I wipe her face gently. "So we are."

She squeezes my hand and smiles brightly. I squeeze back and return her smile.

"Are you looking forward to it?" I ask.

"Yes. More than anything."

"Your instructor will be Kurenai Yuuhi. The meeting time is 9 am, in front of the Dangoya. Not hard to spot, but you'll have your information cards just in case. Come on down, you three."

Shino joins us as we move to the front. "I've been there before," he says as he pushes up his glasses.

"M-me too...um, I can meet with you at your place to show you, Lili..."

"That would be splendid. 8:30, then?"

"Yes."

Iruka hands us our information cards. I smile and raise a brow at him, to which he cheekily winks back at me.

"Take care of them, Lilith."

"With my life, sensei."

With that, we part ways once more.

"Alright...next is Team Nine," I hear Iruka say as I leave. "The first name here is...Kiba Inuzuka."

Last edited:
Sasuke Uchiha. Sakura Haruno."

Sakura barely stifles her excitement. Guess the dork got her ultimate victory in the end. Ino doesn't seem to mind as much as I thought she would.

"And...Naruto Uzumaki."

Boo I was hoping for the cliche female oc replaces Sakura trope to see more interactions between Naruto and Lili.

There is no way. He wouldn't. He didn't.

"The last member of Team Eight..."

Iruka.

"...our top scoring graduate..."

You madman.

"Lilith Kobayashi."

"Lili...Lili, we're...on the same team. We're together...we're really together..."

Hinata finally does burst into tears, but she's happy.

"So we are," I say as I wipe her face gently. "So we are."

Fine the cutness of this will win me over

A team of Naruto/Lilith/Hinata would have decent synergy. Kakashi would probably take advantage of that to slack off though so.

Back