Ring-Maker [Worm/Lord of the Rings Alt-Power] [Complete]

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
WAIT!!!

Will the eagles be replaced by Ziz? :confused:
So... you think Emma should... ride Ziz. I... uh... well. Honor demands I put it on The Chart!

"Home"
Ring-Maker Omake
*eyes author*
*eyes author's OTHER stories*
Awright, folks, step right up! Place your bets! We've got "Evil Taylor," "Crazy Taylor," and "REALLY Crazy Taylor" all with good odds! "Lesbian Taylor" is even odds and "DISTURBINGLY Lesbian Taylor" is 3 to 1! "Shelob Taylor"? Yeah, I'll give you 2 to 3 for that! ...what? "Dating Some Random Dude Named Carlos Taylor?" No, that's not even ON the board. Sheesh. Always someone trying a crazy long shot, amirite?

(I keed, Beacon. I keed. ...I also still owe you C&C on the Student. crap)

The moment I smelled sulfur, I knew where I was.
Lambeau Field on Free Beer and Brat night?

This place had haunted my dreams for weeks.
Yeah, it's Lambeau. God damn fanatical Packers fans. I swear it's something in the water up there.

Stretching out below me was a barren, blasted land.
But enough talk about your cleavage! Ho ho hoOOH HOLY SHIT MACE!

And yet this land was still inhabited.
Well, yeah. You'd be shocked at how many people are willing to live in blasted, cursed shitholes that should be wiped clean from the face of the Earth in order to better the entire planet. (Nearly 4 million, in fact.)

Wretched camps sprawled out across the landscape, dirty and sooty because no one cared to clean them.
Okay, maybe she's dreaming about Woodstock.

I couldn't see its inhabitants as individuals from so high up; instead, they were as a mass of insects, writhing and diseased, just waiting to devour any I set them against.
"And that gave me the WEIRDEST sense of deja vu...."

I saw the Endbringers and the terrible stars buried within their breasts,
Canon: Taylor dreams about Ziz's breasts. (Hey, I don't judge!)

I gasped and sank to my knees, clutching my head. The sound was so wasteful, so discordant; it was so loud and chaotic I feared my ears would burst. I heard it all but I couldn't understand, I couldn't grasp it. It was pointless. There were too many voices, singing too many things.
I told you not to listen to Bjork!

This is the world you live in, said the voice. If you don't like it? Change it.
I don't know who that voice belongs to, but I feel like they're trustworthy! I've got a good feeling about this!

I saw cities that machined their people the way they machined their art.
Oh, god no! Renraku Arcology flashbacks! RENRAKU ARCOLOGY FLASHBACKS! I'M NOT GOING BACK IN THERE, MAN!

A world that ran like clockwork, in beautiful precision.
...Cybertron? Is this a stealth Transformers crossover, too?!

And above it all was the sound of one voice. Mine. Slow and smooth and calm, telling a story of a better world. Of my world.

"I-it's beautiful," I whispered.
Yeah, I'd listen to that voice read the tax code. Mmmm, that's right. Read me Form 8801 again, Mr. Diesel.

....oh. You're all still here. MOVING ON!

Even the tower itself had vanished; I looked down and saw that I was standing on nothing.
Oh, for fuck's sake, Taylor! Haven't you learned ANYTHING from Wile E. Coyote?! You NEVER LOOK DOWN.

I watched orcs attack, killing and eating men and animals alike,
And complaining about needing hot sauce, I'm sure.

It was the same horrifying view as before. But now I understood it. What it was. Why I had made it.
Oh, that's not worrisome at all!

The forms of my Ring-Bearers appeared before my eyes, flickering and shimmering as if they were but a mirage. I tried to will them away, but they did not go. Soon I forgot why I had wanted them to.
NOT AT ALL. Excuse me, I have to go spend some time in the Horrified Screaming Perfectly Normal Closet!

And this place is one thing more. The voice had grown warm. It sounded unaccustomed to it. Home.

The truth of the word unfolded in my heart, like the stinging petals of a razor-sharp flower. "Home," I echoed.
"So, anyways, Director Piggot, THAT'S why I need to make a volcano up on Captain's Hill. I mean, it makes PERFECT SE- ...why'd you just hit that big red button?"

My eyes opened onto the twisted fabric of my bed, lit only by the moon to the east. I was breathing hard, panting, my brow dripping with sweat. I was shivering, my skin prickling as I sat slowly up, clutching my legs as though they were an anchor.
Yeah, I've woken up from dreams like that, too. They ALSO involved someone talking to me. That's right, Vin, tell me about itemized deductions....

But this time, beneath the fear and the uncertainty, I felt a strange wistfulness, a sense of loss that stayed with me even after waking. It bothered me. Could I truly want this?
Obviously, that's some sort of weird subconscious thing, Taylor. Now, let's think about what it could mean, shall we? You were in a nice place that was destroyed and taken over by something dark and evil, that you later came to realize WASN'T evil, despite that darkness and even grew to consider it safe and comforting. Now, I'm not trying to suggest anything, but... can you think of anything or anyONE who might fit that bill? Someone who ruined your life but then came around to supporting and helping you? Someone you've admitted is... dear to you? Someone a bit... dark, shall we say? Anyone at all?

I mean, I'm not SAYING this is clearly a dream about your not-so-secret feelings for a certain teammate who would cheerfully carve her own limbs off with a rusty steak knife if you asked her to. I'm not SAYING that. There's plenty of possible OTHER interpretations! Maybe you were a massively powerful, iron-fisted dictator in a past life who tried to crush an entire world beneath your rule who's ultimate downfall was a pair of hairy-toed fellows with a passion for second breakfasts. I mean, there's LOTS of options. But I think we all know the truth, don't we.

Besides. You put a ring on it. By law, now you have to keep her.

Instead, I picked up a small metal lighter, its surface scratched and dented. I hadn't used it in weeks, yet still I carried it. I flicked it open now, the metal case clinking against itself, and then spun the wheel. An obedient flame burst to life, calm deep blue at its base stretching to bright flickering white at its tip.

I stared into the flame for a long time, feeling the heat, smelling the smoke and watching the flicker, until my heart was still and untroubled once more.
Burnscar: "Oh, I like you."

skyrunner also betaed this chapter, and receives a candy "eyeball" on a stick, a local delicacy in some parts of the world.
It's amazing how changing the location of those quotes can change the entire sentence, you know?

So... you think Emma should... ride Ziz. I... uh... well. Honor demands I put it on The Chart!
YES!!! I GOT ON THE CHART!!! :D

Well, I mean a comment got on a the Chart . . . :oops:

Well, a pairing between an inhuman evil monster that leaves despair and hopelessness in her wake and an other that is an Endbringer. o_O

. . . I did good? :confused:

"Dating Some Random Dude Named Carlos Taylor?" No, that's not even ON the board. Sheesh. Always someone trying a crazy long shot, amirite?
Well, Playing Hooky has Aegis apparently having a thing for girls that can kick the shit out of him in a pit fight. I mean, he evaded the question and ran out of the room when it was brought up, and that's close enough. Onto The Chart it goes!

You did good, Mage. You did good.

That line about Hitler was accurate, at least. The man took his country from dead-broke to just a few steps from complete domination of Europe in just 20 years. Granted, he did it through means that we consider horrific now, but that's the value of an absolute dictatorship: IT GETS SHIT DONE.

Sorry to drag this up again, but I have to say: No, it's really not accurate. A big part of it was that Germany was actually on the way up again by the time he took power because of the work put in by his predecessors, but it simply took some time for the signs of that to show and he of course was quick to take the credit. (The famous Autobahnen for example were planned out long beforehand.)
Another part was stealing and pawning off the possessions of the many unwanted minorities that were arrested.

Sorry to drag this up again, but I have to say: No, it's really not accurate. A big part of it was that Germany was actually on the way up again by the time he took power because of the work put in by his predecessors, but it simply took some time for the signs of that to show and he of course was quick to take the credit. (The famous Autobahnen for example were planned out long beforehand.)
Another part was stealing and pawning off the possessions of the many unwanted minorities that were arrested.

I stand corrected, thank you. Just goes to show that the man stooped as far as he needed to to get what he wanted, even stealing credit for others' achievements.

Blaze 7.5
Many thanks to @Assembler, @fabledFreeboota, @Skyrunner, @BeaconHill, and ShadowStepper1300 for betareading.
Many thanks to @MugaSofer for fact checking.

-x-x-x-​

"So," Piggot said, her hands folded on her desk. Her eyes were hard. "Kaiser knows your identity."

"Yes," I said. "Probably through the new cape, Oracle."

Piggot nodded slowly. "You realize this is one of the worst things that could have happened, don't you?"

I grimaced. "It's definitely a mess, but I'm probably missing something. Walk me through it?"

She sighed through gritted teeth. "Okay. He didn't reveal your identity to the public—just to us. Standard procedure would be to relocate both you and your father through witness protection. Change your identities, down to physical appearance, and put you up in another state with a new cape identity."

My eyes narrowed. "I'm not leaving this city." The change of face and name, I could live with. I liked being Taylor, but it was just a name, in the end. Even Annatar was just a name. But Brockton Bay was my city, and I wasn't about to yield it to Kaiser.

"I'd rather you not," she agreed. "That's clearly what Kaiser wanted. You've got him nervous, Annatar—not the PRT, not the Protectorate, you."

"And he was willing to break the rules just to get me out of the city?"

Piggot nodded. "It's the only thing that makes sense to me," she said. "He's got to know that escalating like this will bring heat down on him. He revealed your identity in a way that he knew the rest of the PRT would know he'd done it. If he just wanted leverage on you, he'd have done it privately and ordered you to keep it from us. He didn't. He wants us to force you to move, because that's protocol. And because he didn't reveal it to the public at large, he doesn't want to escalate into an open war. It's harder for us to escalate if he doesn't do it first."

I shook my head slowly. "I knew I'd made enemies after Leviathan, but this is insane. I'm just a Ward."

"He clearly doesn't see it that way," said Piggot in clipped tones.

"Yeah. So what do we do? I'm not letting Kaiser win this."

"No," she agreed. "But your father is still at risk. We'll talk to him tomorrow morning, start talking about getting him into witness protection without you. It means you'll either be emancipated, or become a functional ward of the state."

"Would I still be able to call? Visit?"

"Yes," she said, "but the more often you do, the bigger the security risk. You'll have to limit it. I don't know exactly how much. It depends on how secure his false identity is."

So, either my father risked death by staying, or I would have to distance myself from him to an uncertain degree. I swallowed. "I don't want to lose my dad, either." I'd only just gotten him back.

"I know," she said quietly. "It's really up to him. He definitely has the right to witness protection… but if he wants to stay, I'll do my best to accommodate that. We can assign him a protection detail, make sure he's guarded, at least in the short term. There's only so much we can do, though."

"I understand." I nodded. "Thank you, Director."

She shook her head. "Don't thank me yet. Wait until we get through this. It may turn out that sending you both away would have been the smarter call."

"Even if it is," I said, "I'd rather it be my call to make, Ma'am."

Her lips twitched. "I can understand that. Get going, get some sleep. We'll talk tomorrow."

-x-x-x-​

Sophia was breathing heavily, her wooden sword gripped tightly in both hands. She was facing a training dummy made of wood and cloth, and it was already pretty torn up. Shallow, long cuts ran along the surface of the padding, and the exposed wood of the featureless face looked positively battle-scarred.

She was looking away from me as I entered the room. I shut the door quietly behind me. It might have just been a teacher's instinct, but I wanted to see this.

My patience was rewarded. In a burst of motion, Sophia lashed out with a crushing blow to the dummy's shoulder, then delivered a thrust into its gut with a wordless cry.

Her form was good, but I found myself rather more concerned with the ragged sound of her voice.

I came forward. She spun as she heard my shoes on the padded floor. "Taylor," she said, blinking, raising a hand to pull the hair out of her face. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you," I said. "Are you all right?"

"Fine," she said, idly twirling her blade. "Just thinking about something I have to deal with. What did you want to talk about?"

I grimaced. "Oracle," I said.

It had been three days since the fight with Empire. Writing in my journal had helped, certainly, but it had also made my course clearer.

Sophia looked away. "What about her?" she asked.

"Something she said got me thinking," I said. "Sophia, I—I need to apologize."

She did a double-take, staring at me. "What, to me? What for?"

"When I first made my offer to you," I said, and found the words didn't want to come. Every word was true, and each needed to be said, but forcing them out and actually facing up to my problems was harder than I'd expected. "I didn't—"

How did I do this? I didn't want to apologize for giving her an opportunity. That wasn't what I was ashamed of.

I had done the right thing—for all the wrong reasons.

"I wasn't thinking about you," I said finally, looking away. "Oracle made me see that, and—and I knew I needed to apologize for it. I was—you were just a tool to me, then. I know I could use you, as long as I could bring you around, and that was all that mattered to me. I don't feel that way anymore," I assured her quickly, glancing back at her face. "That's why I—that's why I needed to say this. I owe you an apology, for thinking of you like that. I'm sorry."

She was staring at me, mouth slightly open, and for a moment I found my hands shaking in something like fear. Would she be angry? Worse, would she be fearful?

I shook it off. I knew Sophia better than that. I didn't know exactly what she'd say, but it would take more than this to break the bond between us.

"I…." She hesitated. Sighed. "Please," she said, and her voice was rough. "Please don't apologize."

"I—"

"That day," she said, interrupting my half-formed protest, "was the best thing that's ever happened to me, Taylor. I don't care why you did it. I—" she swallowed. "I'm just grateful to have had the chance at all."

I smiled. "And I'm glad I could give it to you. I just…" I shook my head. "I'm not apologizing for what I did. I'm apologizing for why I did it. It's like… you remember the last time I talked to Emma, in Winslow?"

Something flickered in Sophia's face. "Yeah."

"I hurt her, when I'd chosen to give you a chance," I said.

"Don't you dare," Sophia growled, sudden and fierce, "act like you had a responsibility to forgive either of us. You had every right to get us both tossed in juvie for years. Giving Emma the chance to keep walking around was already a mercy."

I looked down. "I want to be better than that."

Sophia barked a single peal of laughter, almost hysterical. "What the fuck kind of standards are you holding yourself to, Taylor? You're only human. You've done more for me—more for everyone—than anyone else in the fucking city. Take pride in that! You damn well deserve it."

I smiled, shaking my head. "Thanks. I still—" I sighed. "Oracle. If I hadn't done what I had to Emma, she might not be with Empire now."

"You have nothing to apologize to Emma for. I was the one who broke her." Sophia looked pale. "This is my fault, Taylor. And I will set it right."

"Why must it be you?"

She hesitated. "It's—" She shook her head. "It's my responsibility. And I don't… I can handle this, Taylor. You don't have to. Please, let me."

"You don't need to protect me, Sophia."

"I'm not protecting you," she protested. "I just—this is something I want to do myself. If anything, it's selfish. Please—let me handle this. Oracle is my problem."

I considered her for a moment. I wasn't sure she was ready, but I thought it a fitting quest for her regardless. "Okay," I said. "But—I'm here, if you need help. Be careful. She's Empire, after all, even if she doesn't believe in their rhetoric."

"Are you sure she doesn't?" Sophia asked, and there was something raw in her voice. "She might have reason."

I frowned at her, but she turned away, carrying her sword to the rack. "You know who she is," I said. It wasn't a question.

"Yes," she said, without looking at me. "I'm so sorry, Taylor."

"…And you're sure you don't want my help?"

She put her sword away and turned back to me. Her eyes were bright. "Positive," she said lowly. "Please, Taylor. If I can't do it, you'll be the first to know. But I—I have to try."

It was hard to curb my curiosity. It was harder to curb the sense that I should be part of this—the need to be involved, the need to insert myself into the problem and its resolution. But I owed Sophia that much.

"Okay," I said. "Good luck."

She blinked, surprised, and then gave me a smile. "Thanks."

-x-x-x-​

"So, I've got good news and bad news," said Carlos.

"Please tell me I can do things again," Brian begged.

We were seated around the coffee table in the Wards' break room. Carlos had called me in to discuss the patrol schedule for the next week, and Brian was here to hear news from our leader's recent briefing with Piggot.

"Nailed it." Carlos grinned. "PRT's holding a press conference this Monday. You and Amy are going to be announced then."

"And my identity?"

"Annnnd that's the bad news," Carlos said, his face falling. "You can't keep Grue."

"I knew that," said Brian impatiently. "How bad is it?"

Carlos shrugged noncommittally. "It could be worse. You're, uh, not going to be allowed to use your full-size darkness clouds."

Brian blinked at him. "You're fucking joking."

"Nope."

Brian turned to me, a pleading look in his eyes. "That's literally my entire power. I thought you wanted someone useful, not a meat shield!"

"This is ridiculous," I agreed, looking at Carlos. "What do they want him to do instead?"

"They, uh, want to kit you up with tinkertech and call you a brute/shaker."

Brian groaned. "Am I supposed to even have powers?"

"They want you to keep your clouds close to you," Carlos said. "Shadow Stalker can synchronize with those, and use you as a delivery mechanism. It's not ideal, but—"

"It's dangerously negligent," I growled.

They both blinked at me.

"I wouldn't go that far," Brian began, but Carlos' eyes were widening.

"Circus," he said.

I nodded. "Pretending to be a brute almost got me killed," I said. "No. We're not putting Brian at risk like that."

Carlos nodded, looking pale. "Yeah. No, that's stupid. I'll talk to Piggot."

"Does this mean I have to sit with my thumb up my ass for another week?" Brian grumbled. "I'm bored. I thought heroes were always understaffed."

"Not if I have anything to say about it," I growled. "Carlos, I'll come with you to talk to Piggot. This isn't acceptable."

Carlos nodded. "All right. We'll talk to her later."

The elevator door opened. We turned.

"Annatar, here you are," said Amy, stepping out of the lift. "Good. Miss Militia told me to find you."

I stood up. Amy's brow was furrowed. "What's up?"

"Police just did a bust, found a few Merchants." Amy walked over to the coffee machine, took a mug. "Apparently, they're having a meeting tonight," she said over her shoulder, as the coffee poured. "Miss Militia wanted me to ask you to find it."

"She wants us to shut it down?" Carlos asked. "Bit of a risk, isn't it? We're spread pretty thin right now, and Empire's more of a problem.

"It's an opportunity," I countered. "With all of their capes in one place? We can shut the Merchants down for good."

Amy shrugged, turning to face us and leaning against the coffee machine, her mug steaming in her hand. Nenya glittered upon her finger, and I found my eyes drawn to it. There was an ache, deep inside me, where the Ring's absence was still felt. I was trying to accept it, trying to move on. Amy was a better bearer for it than I could ever be, and she'd needed it more than I ever had. That didn't make it any easier to acknowledge that the Ring of Water was gone forever—or any easier to see it every day, on a finger that wasn't mine.

"Annatar?"

I blinked. "Sorry. What?"

Amy studied me, an odd look on her face. Carlos spoke when she didn't. "Amy was asking if you could find the Merchants' meeting."

"Yes," I said. "I can. But so can she."

Amy raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"You've got enhanced senses through Nenya, right?"

Amy nodded slowly. "Yeah. Can't figure out where they're going to be, though. I thought you still had Vilya?"

"You could find where they're setting up the meeting," I said. "Surely they'll have started—it's almost seven."

Amy stared at me. "I can just sense something happening all the way across the city?"

"I should think so," I said. "Give it a try. Reach out. Reveal it."

She closed her eyes. I saw Nenya flare, a star in the dim room.

A few moments passed. Amy's eyes opened.

"Holy shit," she muttered. "How are you not in charge of the city already, with powers like these?"

I smiled ruefully. "It works better for you than it did for me."

She winced. "I'm—sorry."

"Don't be. Where are they?"

"Carpenters Shopping Center. Near the docks." She grimaced. "They're doing that thing where they light trash cans on fire. It smells awful."

"No wonder they thought they were safe," Carlos said. "That's way outside of our patrol range, with things as messy as they are. Are you sure this is a good idea, Annatar?"

I nodded. "We need to take a stand," I said. "We can't let them have free reign in our city. The Merchants are degenerative—they bring out the worst in people and in places. We won't get another opportunity like this anytime soon."

Carlos nodded. "All right. We'll give it a try. I'll call the other Wards in; can you go talk to Miss Militia and Piggot?"

"Sure," I nodded. "Will we get Protectorate support on this one?"

"If anything, they might not let us come," said Carlos dryly. "We've been doing their jobs too much lately. I doubt they'll stay behind."

"Good," I said. "I'll go talk to Piggot. I'll bring up your identity, too, Brian."

"Thanks," he said. "I never thought being a hero would be so boring."

-x-x-x-​

Please consider donating to my Patreon. Many thanks to those who have already donated.

"I knew I'd made enemies after Leviathan, but this is insane. I'm just a Ward."

Piggot has a mental montage of Taylor's feats of badassery, then just nods slowly. "Riiiight..."

"Would I still be able to call? Visit?"

"Yes," she said, "but the more often you do, the bigger the security risk. You'll have to limit it. I don't know exactly how much. It depends on how secure his false identity is."

"Okay, but after I crush the Empire under my mithril-clad heel, I can visit my dad normally again, right?"

"See, stuff like this is why you can't use the 'I'm just a Ward' excuse."

She hesitated. "It's—" She shook her head. "It's my responsibility. And I don't… I can handle this, Taylor. You don't have to. Please, let me."

"You don't need to protect me, Sophia."

"I'm not protecting you," she protested. "I just—this is something I want to do myself. If anything, it's selfish. Please—let me handle this. Oracle is my problem."

I'm honestly curious what her approach is going to be. Appeal to reason? Threats? Telling her parents (can't hang out with the Nazis when you're grounded forever)? Just killing her in her sleep? All of those things, in that order?

"Are you sure she doesn't?" Sophia asked, and there was something raw in her voice. "She might have reason."

I frowned at her, but she turned away, carrying her sword to the rack. "You know who she is," I said. It wasn't a question.

As if you don't. I mean come on. Also, the rules don't protect people who don't follow the rules. Nothing really stopping Sophia from just telling Taylor, unless she thinks it's better for Taylor to stew in denial for a while longer.

"So, I've got good news and bad news," said Carlos.

"...the good news is the Associated Press, usually. The bad news is FOX and CNN."

"Carlos, why do you have to get so dramatic every time you pick up the remote?"

"Holy shit," she muttered. "How are you not in charge of the city already, with powers like these?"

"I'd rather not deal with the paperwork?"

Last edited:
Looks like Sophia hit the nail on the head. Now she's planning to either knock some sense into Emma, or follow through on her threat. Although considering her "I broke her" line, she's probably going to do the former.
Taylor's remorse on her attitude is encouraging. But Sophia was right, no matter the reason behind it, Taylor's forgiveness was heartfelt and genuine.
"What kind of standards are you holding yourself to, Taylor? You're only human.
:D:D:D

Wow, is the PRT's PR department fucking drunk or something?

They might as well tell him not to use his powers at all! And having him pretend to be a Brute is, like, blatantly obviously not okay. And "outfit him with tinkertech"? They do realize that stuff is expensive and requires regular maintenance, right? Which takes time away from their own tinkers, who need their time for their own projects?

If the PR department is trying to get itself fired and ignored, then it's doing a great job. There's just no sense whatsoever in their calls this time.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that Sophia is going to be first one who will lose her Ring. Been feeling this way ever since the Oracle reveal.

I mean, a lot of people has been speculating on why Taylor would want to forge the One Ring since the first chapter, and one of the possible reasons are because she must control the whereabouts of the Rings as those things are more than just mere trinkets. What other ways will the Rings be lost, if none of the villain capes are aware of their existence and potential? Oracle must have told him of the so-called modules, and their powers.

Although Emma, I think, doesn't know the extent of the effects of the Rings especially on one not chosen by them.

They might as well tell him not to use his powers at all! And having him pretend to be a Brute is, like, blatantly obviously not okay. And "outfit him with tinkertech"? They do realize that stuff is expensive and requires regular maintenance, right? Which takes time away from their own tinkers, who need their time for their own projects?
They have Gallant wearing power armor made by Kid Win and are trying to pass him off as a Tinker, so it's not the first time they've tried this.

Grue needs a new identity, which means the villain who just disappeared and the new Ward can't have the same powers or else it would be really obviously what's going on. Personally, I think they'd be better off rebranding him but not trying to keep his past a secret, so at least they aren't sending him out without his powers. Just tell the public that he's seen the error of his ways and surrendered voluntarily, so they're putting him on probation. It's not like he'd be bound for the Birdcage or a kill order or something.

This line is weird, given Taylor has already acknowledged that she herself knows who Oracle is:
Taylor has acknowledged that Oracle joined the Empire because of what she did to Emma, which is not the same as acknowledging that Oracle is Emma. It seems like a pretty obvious conclusion if she would stop and consider it, but for some reason she's just refusing to do that or even give a solid reason why she's not. She kind of skirts the edge of addressing it when she says that she'll just treat Oracle as Oracle, but... yeah. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between a character subconsciously avoiding thinking about something and a character who just happens to not think about something.

I have a feeling that Sophia is going to be first one who will lose her Ring.
Who says anybody is going to lose their ring?

Its just amusing they've not asked Grue to move cities due to a conflict of interest. The simple reason is that doing so would remove him from the story altogether.

Wow, is the PRT's PR department fucking drunk or something?

If the PR department is trying to get itself fired and ignored, then it's doing a great job. There's just no sense whatsoever in their calls this time, whatsoever.

Fucking butterflies.

When Madcap became Assault and joined the Protectorate, I'm pretty sure they moved him to another state, since Legend was there with Battery when Madcap was captured and now they're both in Brockton Bay. If they were serious about hiding Brian's past then they would move him and his family to another state. If they want to keep him in the city then announcing that he used to be Grue and that he's trying to turn his life around and be a hero is the only way to go about it. After all, his career can't have been longer than a year and only consisted of some minor crimes where nobody got hurt, and having a villain turn around and go hero is the kind of good PR that the Protectorate's always looking for. But yes, fabledFreeboota is right, it's really about not removing him from the story.

When Madcap became Assault and joined the Protectorate, I'm pretty sure they moved him to another state, since Legend was there with Battery when Madcap was captured and now they're both in Brockton Bay. If they were serious about hiding Brian's past then they would move him and his family to another state. If they want to keep him in the city then announcing that he used to be Grue and that he's trying to turn his life around and be a hero is the only way to go about it. After all, his career can't have been longer than a year and only consisted of some minor crimes where nobody got hurt, and having a villain turn around and go hero is the kind of good PR that the Protectorate's always looking for. But yes, fabledFreeboota is right, it's really about not removing him from the story.
Also, there's the issue of his particular family situation. He wants custody of his sister, but he doesn't have it yet and can't get it until he's 18. His dad might be willing to move, bringing Aisha along with him, but his mother would certainly try to interfere.

Rune's characterization in Interlude 7a is inconsistent and bad. My only excuse is that I've been stressed and fighting off a cold. I'd make edits now, but I lost that fight yesterday and have been feverish all day.

I will try to find the time to make edits to Interlude 7a this weekend. These edits will be focused on rehabilitating Rune's characterization. Whether or not you enjoyed Emma's characterization in the interlude, fear not: that's here to stay. I will make sure to notify everyone once edits are done.

Back