Ring-Maker [Worm/Lord of the Rings Alt-Power] [Complete]

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Annatar spoke truthfully and with conviction in her own honesty, but some part of her could not help but end the sentence with a whispered, "... yet."
Oooh That was Good. Also:
Interesting. Despite being the one to forge them this time they hold no attachment to her? She has no sway over them? At least no more than Sauron without the ring.... Interesting. *Thoughtful Kitsune*

Even when he did have the One, the Three were not so much "in his dominion" as "at the edge of his reach." They were intrinsically linked to the One as all Rings were, but as he had no direct hand in their creation at any stage, were further removed than any others, which is why the Elves managed to keep them from him and even use them for various purposes.

So with the Three, that statement very well may be entirely sincere without portent of doom, conscious or subconscious.

[Though that aside, I find it a bit pretentious to declare yourself that Taylor has some kind of spiritual bond with the One, which has not been made yet, which nauseates and disturbs her merely to think about. She has Sauron's powers, but she has others as well - Narsil and Aeglos were not forged by Sauron, or Annatar, for instance. Taylor is not Sauron - just capable of performing his works. Sorry for the rant, but it's been bugging me how foregone conclusion everyone is that Taylor will turn evil, forge the one, and become Sauron 0.2 in full. She is not him, though she has his powers. And while the existence of the One begs for it to be used, in AND out of story, it does not have to be used to create a good story. Even at the end. The struggle to overcome without using it as a crutch is more interesting than this "inevitable" final result, anyway.]

Last edited:
I thought the bit with the breeze from the West was a nice and subtle touch. Though I might start keeping an eye out for Eagles of Unusual Size, now.

What would happen if Coil put on one of the Rings in a throwaway timeline?
Would he feel nothing?
Would he experience the penalty in both timelines?

Even when he did have the One, the Three were not so much "in his dominion" as "at the edge of his reach." They were intrinsically linked to the One as all Rings were, but as he had no direct hand in their creation at any stage, were further removed than any others, which is why the Elves managed to keep them from him and even use them for various purposes.

So with the Three, that statement very well may be entirely sincere without portent of doom, conscious or subconscious.

[Though that aside, I find it a bit pretentious to declare yourself that Taylor has some kind of spiritual bond with the One, which has not been made yet, which nauseates and disturbs her merely to think about. She has Sauron's powers, but she has others as well - Narsil and Aeglos were not forged by Sauron, or Annatar, for instance. Taylor is not Sauron - just capable of performing his works. Sorry for the rant, but it's been bugging me how foregone conclusion everyone is that Taylor will turn evil, forge the one, and become Sauron 0.2 in full. She is not him, though she has his powers. And while the existence of the One begs for it to be used, in AND out of story, it does not have to be used to create a good story. Even at the end. The struggle to overcome without using it as a crutch is more interesting than this "inevitable" final result, anyway.]
The Three of Arda were untouched and untainted, but the Three of Bet were hand forged by Taylor and Taylor alone. They know her, were worn by her, and even now she carries a little of what they gave with her always even after giving them away.

Maybe the gifts returned from creation to creator will allow Taylor to rise above forging the One or even to create it as a true force for Good inspite of its heritage. Or maybe it will only make the fall all the more painful.

I look forward to seeing it either way.

I wrote that little blurb more put of amusement at an interesting line that I came up with and felt like posting rather than any willful insistence regarding Taylor's inevitable creation of the One. No portent of doom so much as the slave reminding Caesar, "Remember you are but mortal." And so putting an edge to an otherwise triumphant scene.

The calamitous fall of the Bright Lord, Gift Giver, and Ring Maker would be enjoyable to read just as the description of Melkor's introduction of discord into the Songs of Eru and later the darkening if Valinor with the destruction of the two trees and theft of the Silmarils. It is the resistance of that temptation that I enjoy to read, the self knowledge and understanding that part of being the Ring Maker includes the ability and capacity, even when lacking the desire, to craft so malevolent a thing as The One yet still not doing so.

Another reason this is so fun to read is knowing that over Annatar's honest kindness and heartfelt heroism, unseen by most, lies the shadow of the One and that if forged it would in a the moment worn darken and cast under a pall of evil all her good works. Taylor is a hero through and through, but the anticipation of "but will she falter here," and the juxtaposition of her actions and words to what we could imagine e Sauron' soon or saying is wonderful to read.

The creation of so many other objects honestly lends itself to the idea that Taylor is emulating Mairon the Fair of old rather than Sauron. Greatest of the Maia, a god of craftsman and builder of mountain. So perhaps there is a change in the background that means even now that Taylor carries no doom or damnation save the ones she gods herself.

I think that I like this chapter more than any other single one so far. It shows depth to both Taylor and Amy, in the Tolkien way. It draws them into the more ancient, epic version of heroism.

Done and well done!

One Ring for the life-forger,
One for,
One for,
Seven Rings for Seven Wards, in a city of Sin
Nine Rings for nine____

Slowly, the poem is written!

*Beat*

Okay, yeah, I'm terrible at poetry.

Last edited:
Nenya has now become Amy's pillar of support. It will never be as strong a pillar as Vicky was, but it is the only pillar Amy will try to accept as now the ring is a part of her.
A lovely chapter. You caught Amy's emotions perfectly and Annatar's words were well chosen, supportive. There was no boisterous word of comfort or using the cliche of "this is not what Vicky would want". This is what made the chapter heart wrenching.
I thought the bit with the breeze from the West was a nice and subtle touch. Though I might start keeping an eye out for Eagles of Unusual Size, now.
@Lithos Maitreya If Eagles are how you plan on ending the story, then I will bring the Wrath of All of Middle Earth on your head and make you change the end to something better. We have seen too many Eagles saving the day in LOTR.
@Betas, please keep an eye that the story has no Eagles of Unusual Size involved, at least during major plot points.:p
and while we are at it, lets see if someone makes an Omake where Eagles are involved. I think everyone will go "meh... a new cape".

One food for thought before I end this (I don't know if this has been asked and answered or not).
If Annatar gave one of the rings to Dragon, how will Dragon wear it? and how will she be affected?
Unless you do not believe Dragon to be a living and so no ring working. But to me Dragon was the most human character in the whole canon.

The specter of Sauron hangs over everything Taylor does in this fic. Maia can be reborn after their deaths. It's entirely possible that Bet is the future version of Middle-Earth. The Elves sailed West and some roam the Halls of Mandos; the Hobbits probably were absorbed into the race of Men, much like the Dwarves. If any of either still live, they're not many. Orcs are probably all extinct, wiped out after Sauron fell.

Maiar and Ainu can be reborn. Re-introduced into the world. If Sauron has been reborn as Taylor, perhaps Eru giving him a chance for redemption... What does that mean about Morgoth?

That was really touching.

One of the things I've really liked about this fic so far is that it's a very interesting take on the idea of "What if Annatar really was a good guy?" Someone who goes around, making these objects of power that choose wearers whom are worthy and compatible, presenting them, offering the choice of bearing them while also informing them of the consequences.

Powerful dialogue. Possibly your best yet, considering the subject material.

I'll say this, not to seek attention or comfort, because it's long in the past, but I've been there, and what finally gave me peace from the creeping self-perpetuating inevitability was listening to Alan Watts* state, poorly paraphrased, that it's a choice you're free to make at any time, so you don't really need to stress about it it right now, do you? And thus I was set free.

So this resonated quite a bit. Taking notes, too.

(*spiritual entertainer, in his own words, I know all sides to the debates about his legitimacy, let's not start that up)

Last edited:
What does that mean about Morgoth?

At the moment in the omakes I'm crafting, he's the head (think Tony Stark) of Utumno International Conglomerate, which includes companies like Thangorodrim Heavy Industries and Angband Incorporated. He has a very keen interest/obsession with Silmarils/Silmaril like things. And he's involved with the Evil Legion of Evil. (C'mon, if you have tons of organizations of good capes, you need an overarching org for the uber of the super villains) :p

If Eagles are how you plan on ending the story, then I will bring the Wrath of All of Middle Earth on your head and make you change the end to something better. We have seen too many Eagles saving the day in LOTR.
What?

You don't want Diana, during Golden Morning, to start yelling "THE EAGLES ARE COMING! THE EAGLES ARE COMING!"?
"Why are you here?"
"Nenya."
"Nenya?"
"Nenya business!"
*shit eating grin*

What?

You don't want Diana, during Golden Morning, to start yelling "THE EAGLES ARE COMING! THE EAGLES ARE COMING!"?
The Eagles are actually one of the things I think Tolkien did least well in the entire legendarium. It's clear they're meant to symbolize the grace of Eru, and His support of the Western force. But he never really establishes that symbol; he just lets it stand on its own. And it works, but I think it could have been done better. That's not something I often say of Tolkien.

The Eagles are actually one of the things I think Tolkien did least well in the entire legendarium. It's clear they're meant to symbolize the grace of Eru, and His support of the Western force. But he never really establishes that symbol; he just lets it stand on its own. And it works, but I think it could have been done better. That's not something I often say of Tolkien.

Nobody's perfect. Even someone who went to the extraordinary lengths Tolkien did may miss things.

To be honest, what I love about the Lord of the Rings books is that they feel like Tolkien is saying, "Come, see this world I have crafted with loving care. Come, and love it with me."

What would happen if Coil put on one of the Rings in a throwaway timeline?
Would he feel nothing?
Would he experience the penalty in both timelines?
His 'throwaway timelines' don't actually happen; they're just simulations fed to him by his Shard. Since I don't think the Shards can predict the magic of the rings, if he put one on in a simulation, probably nothing would happen. On the other hand, because the Shard thinks nothing will happen, it might decide that that is the reality he will decide to keep - in which case, when he actually puts the Ring on in reality, it will affect him, and he will be horrified to find he can't cancel the timeline.

From the Journal of Annatar 2
Many thanks to @Assembler, @fabledFreeboota, @Skyrunner, @BeaconHill, and ShadowStepper1300 for betareading.
Many thanks to @MugaSofer for fact checking.

-x-x-x-​

Sunday, May 15th, 2011

Nenya is gone.

Is it not strange that, of all the myriad transformations my world has undergone since last the sun rose, it should be this upon which I fixate? I have met an Endbringer in battle, I have watched a hero die, I have seen the unyielding break, I have—

Once again, my thoughts return to that moment. Amy—Panacea—standing over her dead sister, listening to her mother go mad with grief, powerless to do aught about either. I heard the soundless sound of shattering glass. I pray I shall never hear it again. And, if Nenya is as well matched to its bearer as it now appears, I never shall.

It is difficult, I find, to force my mind away from that void in the Jewelry Box where Nenya once sat. It is difficult to set aside the fact that I shall never again feel the Ring of Adamant bracing me. Yet I must, for there are other things of which I must make sense. I must understand today, before the morrow comes.

We, the Wards, stood alone against an Endbringer today. We met with no victory, but we survived. At the time, as my heart burned with righteous fury and Narya shone bright upon my finger, our survival came as no surprise. There was fear, but only so that courage could be raised above it. In that moment, I built for myself a citadel of bravery, unassailable and impenetrable, and upon its ramparts my Wards took up the defense. And though the wave did eventually scatter us, we stood against Leviathan as a levee to the sea. We held long enough for our allies to fortify the hospital, and thus saved I know not how many lives.

The others are entirely correct when they tell me this is not ordinary. Indeed, it is so far beyond the ordinary that even I am startled by it. I have earned the attention of Legend, won the respect of Rune, and likely drawn the gaze of many more of whom I have yet to learn.

It seems undeniable that I was instrumental in today's battle with Leviathan. I know not what to make of this. From a utilitarian perspective, it is at once a good and a bad thing. I am now someone to be watched—which affords me respect, but also makes me a target. I know not whether I am ready to face this change. The world now looks rather different than it did yesterday. Yesterday, Lung was my most dangerous foe. Now? Now, I know not who my enemies are.

I have, however, gained allies as well. Legend seems to respect me. Perhaps he merely seeks to manipulate me—but I shall manipulate him in return. He cannot allow me to die, and that gives me some semblance of security. Through this connection I retain some safety in the form of the Protectorate, despite my increasingly precarious position.

And yet even my colleagues and friends are not beyond mistrust. As I saw today, temptation may subvert even the most stalwart will. Armsmaster is not a selfish man. He is merely a man who wished to protect his home. A man who convinced himself that, in keeping with that noble goal, it was fitting that he receive a Ring of Power. These Rings which I have created are powerful, dangerous, and above all
desirable. Men will seek them, covet them, and may attempt to steal them. I must have care, lest I find Vilya or Narya taken from me.

But enough of this digression. I set my Wards against Leviathan. Why did I do this? Was I blind to the risks? Or did I think my teammates' lives were a fitting trade for victory against the Endbringer?

The very thought makes my skin crawl. My teammates are precious to me—more than I would have deemed possible but two months ago. Remembering Glory Girl's ruined form upon the cot, it is terribly easy to imagine Dean, or Carlos, or Sophia in her place. The very image makes me sick. I am certain that, had such a thing happened, I would have been devastated. It is quite impossible to imagine myself coldly deciding that the cost was fair afterwards. To do so would be tantamount to a betrayal of all I have learned, all that I am, all that I represent.

And yet I do not believe I was blind. I had just watched Amy, bowed over Victoria's corpse; the unbreakable broken. I had just seen the suffering that comes with loss. I was not so foolish as to be blind to the possibility that one of us might die.

And yet I acted. I drew the Ring-Bearers together, and together we struck at the monster. Why?

I cannot place the word. Courage? Trust? Faith?

I trusted my teammates. I had courage, and knew they would, too. I had faith that we would succeed. We are Ring-Bearers. We are blessed with power beyond the norm, power nearly beyond belief. We were forged for the impossible.

Earth Bet has suffered under the heel of these Endbringers for too long. Mankind has its own demons to fight—avarice, hatred, and their ilk. These monstrosities, these Endbringers, are beyond what mere men can or
should face. I know not why, but I feel somehow fated to fight these things—and to win.

Have I lost my mind? Why should I be the one to succeed where generations of capes have failed? What have I that they had not?

I know not
what, but I cannot convince myself that there is nothing. Is this pure arrogance, then? Simple-minded vanity? Am I so shallow that I must believe myself above even such personages as Legend, Eidolon, Alexandria, and Hero, merely to slake my own thirst for respect?

And yet…

And yet the Rings of Power are unlike any tinkertech I have seen or heard tell of. And yet Narsil shines with the light of sun and moon. And yet Iphannis is bright and sharp, and my armor is hard. And as I bear them all, encased in my shell of arms and armor, I no longer feel human. I become something else—something more. I am not invincible—I am not immune to fear, as Leviathan showed me. But I feel
powerful. Not merely strong in the sword-arm, but strong in heart and mind and voice.

Would meek, beaten, sad little Taylor Hebert of yesteryear have been able to draw Sophia back from the pit? Would she have been able to strike Bakuda down, without hesitation or mercy? Would she have been able to stand against the sea itself, and say 'stop'? I think not. I am more than I was. Not merely in the sense of power—as I warned Sophia, power merely allows one to endure. I do not merely endure—I
thrive.

I find myself wondering if the answers to these questions lie in that same enigma that surrounds my powers. How am I a parahuman, without a functioning gemma? How have I powers with no apparent source? These questions linger, circling like vultures in my mind. And yet I have no way to know. Not yet.

I have faith that answers will reveal themselves in time.

-x-x-x-​

Please consider donating to my Patreon. Many thanks to those who have already donated.

Ahh, my dear, sweet Taylor, that is the ancient voice of Sauron whispering in thy ear. Take heed of his words, but beware his intent, for he is a creature of timeless evil, malice without form or power, far reduced from that which he once was. Thus ever does he speak to the powerful, whispering in the back of the mind, sewing seeds of doubt, mistrust, and paranoia. The worst of these, is doubt of the self. Do not doubt thyself, for if thee falter, thine Rings shall find themselves scattered to the Four Winds, directionless and without Master.

Beware the One, for it shall tempt thee and promise thee that which thy heart desires. But the one thing thee cannot trade for that desire, is thy heart.

Sauron isn't evil incarnate. He's Order taken too far. That's a difference, and an important one.

Anyhow, live these chapters, especially the Tolkienesque prose.

Do not doubt thyself, for if thee falter, thine Rings shall find themselves scattered to the Four Winds, directionless and without Master.
Proper grammar as I understand it would be, "Do not doubt thyself, for if thou dost falter, thy Rings shall find themselves scattered..."

Alternatively, "...if thou falterest..."

"Thee" is used for second-person singular address where "me" would be used for first-person singular. Likewise, "Thou" where "I" would fit.

In modern English, the phrase would be, "for if you falter," but the conjugation of the second person singular is such that you would need "falterest." Or you could go with "for if you do falter," which is what "for if thou dost falter" would correspond to.

It is the very introspection that questions, "Am I just being arrogant?" that allows for some hope that, perhaps, one is not. It is no guarantee, but as long as one can recognize that the claim seems questionable, rather than irrationally saying "it must be so" with no doubt nor support, one has not truly lost oneself to madness. One might still be wrong, but humility enough to question can be humility enough to heed others' wisdom.

Proper grammar as I understand it would be, "Do not doubt thyself, for if thou dost falter, thy Rings shall find themselves scattered..."

Alternatively, "...if thou falterest..."

"Thee" is used for second-person singular address where "me" would be used for first-person singular. Likewise, "Thou" where "I" would fit.

In modern English, the phrase would be, "for if you falter," but the conjugation of the second person singular is such that you would need "falterest." Or you could go with "for if you do falter," which is what "for if thou dost falter" would correspond to.

Yeah, I kinda waffled there a bit and hit post before I could go back and edit things. ^^ thanks for the critique by the way!

How am I a parahuman, without a functioning gemma? How have I powers with no apparent source?
Was this mentioned earlier on? Because this seems like a significant enough point that everyone would be interested in it and she would be studied constantly by a great deal of people in order to understand how she still had powers, but I can't remember if anyone ever brought this up with her. When did she learn that she had no gemma?

Back