Ring-Maker [Worm/Lord of the Rings Alt-Power] [Complete]

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
The Rings don't care if you need them. They go to those worthy to bear them, whether they need the Rings or not. If you do, then it is good luck to you that you are worthy. If you do not, then they still will serve you and make you more.

The Rings don't care if you need them. They go to those worthy to bear them, whether they need the Rings or not. If you do, then it is good luck to you that you are worthy. If you do not, then they still will serve you and make you more.
It's hard to imagine that Eidolon isn't worthy. Having the weight of the world (all Earths) on your shoulders and not breaking from the pressure is a remarkable feat. Especially with his powers fading over time--he still hadn't given into despair.

It's hard to imagine that Eidolon isn't worthy. Having the weight of the world (all Earths) on your shoulders and not breaking from the pressure is a remarkable feat. Especially with his powers fading over time--he still hadn't given into despair.
He hasn't? It felt like every depiction of him from any nearness in the original work showed a man despairing but afraid to show it.

He may be despairing but he hasn't stopped trying. He doesn't break until he realises that most of the deaths they've faced were his fault.
I suppose what I'm getting at is that he's stopped trying for the right reasons. To the point that, much like Armsmaster, he seems more interested in proving that what he's been doing can be made to work than in finding solutions that don't involve him as the Big Damn Hero.

This does raise the question of what Taylor is going to do for herself when she gives away the remaining two of the Three. I mean, she's supposed to wield the One. And even if it has powers she isn't comfortable with using, she can choose not to use those powers. Just like she can Master her superiors with one of the Three, but never chose to do so.

Difficult. The One Ring is the master, the lynchpin all other rings in a sense emulate. All the lore of their creation draws from that single, corrupted source. Taylor might make her own, but it would equally diminish her.

One thing it's important to note is that Sauron commanded the Nazgul because he wore their rings. So long as she didn't take the rings from the others and wear them herself, she wouldn't have total mental dominion. But wearing the One would make everything she did so far childsplay in comparison.

"In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!"

I thought the One Ring was to Rule Them All. One Ring to Bind them. One Ring to bring them down, and in the Darkness, Bind Them.

If it doesn't grant dominion over the other Ring-Bearers, what DOES it do?

I thought the One Ring was to Rule Them All. One Ring to Bind them. One Ring to bring them down, and in the Darkness, Bind Them.

I think it boosts whatever you are good at to an extreme degree? So Sauron got v. good at Being A Dark Lord, and Hobbits get very good at not being noticed, etc.

- Invisibility
- Minty fresh breath
- WiFi hotspot
- Sings an off-key version of the Gilligan's Island theme song in the Black Speech of Mordor when worn in the presence of gluten
Sauron's gluten-intolerant. Makes a weird amount of sense. He's pretty intolerant all around, after all.

Sorry; working from memory. I haven't actually read the novels, as I can't really stand Tolkien's writing style. 99% of my knowledge of LotR comes from second- and third-hand absorption.

Maybe it's just my flawed interpretation of the movies, but it seemed like Sauron was fucking wrecking everyone who dared go near him in the battle where Isildur defeated him. I mean, it says something that the only reason Sauron lost is because he stuck his ring-hand out towards a guy within reach of a super-quality (albeit partially broken) sword...for some reason.

Would Taylor have the ability to make a One Ring that's geared more towards personal power rather than as a backdoor trojan horse for the other rings?

Wait. Administrator Shard + Ring-Maker.

The One Ring lets her go Khepri with Skitter's range and retain her mind and humanity. Well, human-interaction-capable mentality, anyway.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,:
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Note how both verses talk about the One Ring.
It does both.
Yes, but they had 'bind them' twice. I was saying it was 'One ring to find them' and not 'One ring to bind them'. I wasn't saying that the word 'bind' isn't used, just that it wasn't used at that point.

Three Rings for those chosen and needed to fly
Seven for the Wards in their city of sin
Nine for untriggered men, doomed to die
One for She who Escalates in order to win
In the City of Brockton, where the Maiar lies.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them;
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness, bind them
In the City of Brockton, where the Maiar lies.

Eh... probably not accurate here. Lithos has their own poem, I'm sure.

For those discussing the powers of The One Ring:

Tolkien's Letters #131 said:
The chief power (of all the rings alike) was the prevention or slowing of decay (i.e. 'change' viewed as a regrettable thing), the preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance – this is more or less an Elvish motive. But also they enhanced the natural powers of a possessor – thus approaching 'magic', a motive easily corruptible into evil, a lust for domination. And finally they had other powers, more directly derived from Sauron ('the Necromancer': so he is called as he casts a fleeting shadow and presage on the pages of The Hobbit): such as rendering invisible the material body, and making things of the invisible world visible.

The Elves of Eregion made Three supremely beautiful and powerful rings, almost solely of their own imagination, and directed to the preservation of beauty: they did not confer invisibility. But secretly in the subterranean Fire, in his own Black Land, Sauron made One Ring, the Ruling Ring that contained the powers of all the others, and controlled them, so that its wearer could see the thoughts of all those that used the lesser rings, could govern all that they did, and in the end could utterly enslave them. He reckoned, however, without the wisdom and subtle perceptions of the Elves. The moment he assumed the One, they were aware of it, and of his secret purpose, and were afraid. They hid the Three Rings, so that not even Sauron ever discovered where they were and they remained unsullied. The others they tried to destroy.

[Sauron] had been obliged to let a great part of his own inherent power (a frequent and very significant motive in myth and fairy-story) pass into the One Ring. While he wore it, his power on earth was actually enhanced. But even if he did not wear it, that power existed and was in 'rapport' with himself: he was not 'diminished'. Unless some other seized it and became possessed of it. If that happened, the new possessor could (if sufficiently strong and heroic by nature) challenge Sauron, become master of all that he had learned or done since the making of the One Ring, and so overthrow him and usurp his place. This was the essential weakness he had introduced into his situation in his effort (largely unsuccessful) to enslave the Elves, and in his desire to establish a control over the minds and wills of his servants. There was another weakness: if the One Ring was actually unmade, annihilated, then its power would be dissolved, Sauron's own being would be diminished to vanishing point, and he would be reduced to a shadow, a mere memory of malicious will. But that he never contemplated nor feared. The Ring was unbreakable by any smithcraft less than his own. It was indissoluble in any fire, save the undying subterranean fire where it was made – and that was unapproachable, in Mordor. Also so great was the Ring's power of lust, that anyone who used it became mastered by it; it was beyond the strength of any will (even his own) to injure it, cast it away, or neglect it. So he thought. It was in any case on his finger.

The One Ring is absolute in its purpose, beyond even the Ring-Maker. It holds all the might of the other 19 Rings in one and the one who bears the One stands to become the master of all those who wear the others, while at the same time having their own power and potentiality enhanced to a great degree through the very externalization of their soul into a solid manifestation of will and intent. Something subjective made factually and objectively real.

TL;DR The One is OP as hell.

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone else commenting on this. We got a name of one of the Nine Rings, guys! I wonder what is it a Ring of? Does anyone know enough of the language to guess?
Also, apologies for the double post but I hadn't seen this before commenting on the One Ring.

Two real guesses, in Sindarin with awkward futzing of grammar the name Lumeya might come from "Lum" meaning "Shade" and "Mei" meaning "First" (in the ordinal sense of something being the Prime/Original). With the ending "ya" being used as an indicator of a proper name or being owned by someone else. Something like "The First Wraith" in a literal sense but I imagine it would be interpreted more along the lines of "The First Servant/Slave". Not likely as the understood grammar for sindarin doesn't support "Mei" -> "meya".

In Quenya though it's a little easier to guess at meanings. "Lume" means "Time" and the suffix "-ya" is used as either a term of endearment or to indicate that something is belonging to someone. Literally Lumeya would translate to "His/Her Time," which is fitting for the Witch-King to possess the Ring whose very name declares that the hour of their glory has come. Also fitting considering the Witch-King's line when confronted by Gandalf in Minas Tirith:

"Old fool!" he said. "Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!"

So my guess for Lumeya would be "His/Her Time."

Back