Ring-Maker [Worm/Lord of the Rings Alt-Power] [Complete]

Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
I have decided to attempt NaNoWriMo, with Ring-Maker as my story. This essentially means that I'll be attempting to write, on average, almost a chapter of the story every single day for the period of this month. I'll let you all know how I'm doing every so often, but from your perspective all this means is that you can probably expect the biweekly updates to continue.

Today's chapter was Blaze 7.2, and it's been written.

Rings of Power are always named in Quenya. Sauron seems to have been more comfortable in it than in Sindarin, in the original legendarium.

I have decided to attempt NaNoWriMo, with Ring-Maker as my story. This essentially means that I'll be attempting to write, on average, almost a chapter of the story every single day for the period of this month. I'll let you all know how I'm doing every so often, but from your perspective all this means is that you can probably expect the biweekly updates to continue.
Don't burn yourself out. Would hate to see the story end or loose quality because of that.
Aside from that, good luck and have fun.

Am I and the rest of the beta team allowed to assist you in this?

Also, apologies for the double post but I hadn't seen this before commenting on the One Ring.

Two real guesses, in Sindarin with awkward futzing of grammar the name Lumeya might come from "Lum" meaning "Shade" and "Mei" meaning "First" (in the ordinal sense of something being the Prime/Original). With the ending "ya" being used as an indicator of a proper name or being owned by someone else. Something like "The First Wraith" in a literal sense but I imagine it would be interpreted more along the lines of "The First Servant/Slave". Not likely as the understood grammar for sindarin doesn't support "Mei" -> "meya".

In Quenya though it's a little easier to guess at meanings. "Lume" means "Time" and the suffix "-ya" is used as either a term of endearment or to indicate that something is belonging to someone. Literally Lumeya would translate to "His/Her Time," which is fitting for the Witch-King to possess the Ring whose very name declares that the hour of their glory has come. Also fitting considering the Witch-King's line when confronted by Gandalf in Minas Tirith:

So my guess for Lumeya would be "His/Her Time."
Rings of Power are always named in Quenya. Sauron seems to have been more comfortable in it than in Sindarin, in the original legendarium.
The Ring of Time? Sounds neat. :) Though Clocky already has a Ring, so he can't get Lumeya. Pity. I think it could've been nice. :p Hmmm so who else is there, let's see... The only other cape I know of with time powers is Phir Se. Afaik, he isn't a member of any Nine.
Eh, it'll be a good story whoever gets it, and it's not like I'm super knowledgeable about Worm stuff.

I agree with Artemis on this.

Random guesses off the top of my head: something with Narya, or something with Behemoth (doubt it), or something with Lung.
:lol

So someone already took a swing at things, but i have my guess for the other two rings of the three. So Annater has made a big show of there is no group of nine she feels worthy of them. While in the original work all the ring groups when to certain groups, Fair elves, dwarven lords, human kings. So as we have pancea as a hint and seeing how glory girl died :(, I'm predicting shielder and laser dream while be the other two.

Last edited:
Blaze 7.3 has been drafted. I'm ahead of the NaNoWriMo schedule, and all it's cost me is my grades, sanity, and sleep cycle.

Drug use certainly influenced Poe, but to claim he was tripping balls all that time forgets the fact he was in such financial poverty that he could not afford alcohol and could only rarely afford opiates. When you're that poor, the odds are good that his imagination/delusions were more the product of actual feverish delirium from walking pneumonia (which can develop due to borderline starvation and poor living conditions).

So someone already took a swing at things, but i have my guess for the other two rings of the three. So Annater has made a big show of there is no group of nine she feels worthy of them. While in the original work all the ring groups when to certain groups, Fair elves, dwarven lords, human kings. So as we have pancea as a hint and seeing how glory girl died :(, I'm predicting shielder and laser dream while be the other two.
Possibly, though there are a few problems in that course.

First, Shielder and Laserdream do not have very fleshed out personalities so Lithos would have to expend more effort filling them out. I'd actually be interested to see what they came up with if it is Laserdream and Shielder, Lithos is a great writer.

Aside from that what little I do recall neither of them had personalities which really fit Vilya or Narya. And to be honest I think the only compatibility Glory Girl had with a ring was Narya and that was due to her abilities. Her personality wasn't really mature enough in my mind to bear the weight of a Ring.

The other reason I don't think they qualify is that while the Three did go to the Elves, the Elves which received them did not interact with each other much and lived in far flung places. On top of that it came to be that Narya was actually used by Gandalf the Grey during his time. There's room to maneuver there.

As a side comment, Vilya or Narya may also not end up going to a cape at all. I'd be pretty interested to see Piggot with Narya for example.

Every time I see "Narya" for the first time in a reading, I keep parsing it as "Narnia" at first. This is apropos of nothing save the amusement value of conflating that setting with Wormverse/Tolkien.
For those discussing the powers of The One Ring:

The One Ring is absolute in its purpose, beyond even the Ring-Maker. It holds all the might of the other 19 Rings in one and the one who bears the One stands to become the master of all those who wear the others, while at the same time having their own power and potentiality enhanced to a great degree through the very externalization of their soul into a solid manifestation of will and intent. Something subjective made factually and objectively real.

TL;DR The One is OP as hell.
Given that Sauron had to "invest himself" into the Ring, but even separated he wasn't diminished unless another took it and drew on that power, pulling it away from him, I suspect that Annatar will have to forge the One from the Administrator itself. It will still be a part of her, and hers to control, and her power will even be enhanced (perhaps Khepri, perhaps something else). Certainly, "seeing the thoughts" of the subordinate Rings, and controlling (even just influencing and leading) their actions would be in line with both the One Ring and the Administrator.

Every time I see "Narya" for the first time in a reading, I keep parsing it as "Narnia" at first. This is apropos of nothing save the amusement value of conflating that setting with Wormverse/Tolkien.

Aslan vs Golden Boy would be interesting, if written well.

Given that Sauron had to "invest himself" into the Ring, but even separated he wasn't diminished unless another took it and drew on that power, pulling it away from him, I suspect that Annatar will have to forge the One from the Administrator itself. It will still be a part of her, and hers to control, and her power will even be enhanced (perhaps Khepri, perhaps something else). Certainly, "seeing the thoughts" of the subordinate Rings, and controlling (even just influencing and leading) their actions would be in line with both the One Ring and the Administrator.

Are we sure Annatar even has an active connection to QA? I don't think she does.

Well it isn't like Taylor is making much use of her shard as it is.

"Not sure, although I admit I don't know much about the gemma. It's the part of the brain that manifests after trigger events. You've got one, but it's atrophied. With the lack of activity I'm seeing there, it seems… dead."

Mayhaps due to Taylor's denial of her will to Dominate, her having avoided the forging of the One for now, or for some other more esoteric reason.

Either way, when the One is crafted it will be an awe-inspiring and joyously terrifying occasion.

Unrelated news, I wonder if perhaps Cauldron shall become the Nazgûl. Eidolon, Alexandria, Legend, Doctor Mother, Contessa, Doormaker, Numberman, The Clairvoyant, and the Custodian.

A true group of nine who will do anything for power to "save" the world as long as a world still exists afterwards, and seeing how most of them sold their souls once with the actions Cauldron has taken and allowed I doubt many if them would flinch at taking up a Ring of Power even if they know they'll end up serving a terrible power for doing so.

Also something poetic about the idea of Eidolon facing down a shining Golden Man and declaring that the time of reckoning was at hand.

Though Lithos will likely surprise us by picking unconnected individuals who each hold some incredible power and authority whose greed and corruptibility makes them perfect choices for serving as the primary servants of the Ring-Maker.

Forging the One from the Crystal Flesh of the Administrator? o_O

Damn, I like that idea. That sounds amazingly awesome.

Aslan vs Golden Boy would be interesting, if written well.

Are we sure Annatar even has an active connection to QA? I don't think she does.
I can't remember if it's been confirmed or not. E: Apparently her shard brainmeat bits look dead to Panacea.

Last edited:
Tomorrow's chapter will probably drop a couple of hours later than usual. I have a midterm tonight, another tomorrow morning, and a passage that still needs one more pass. I won't be able to give it that pass until after it would normally be posted.

Never mind; I found the time to make the edits. The chapter will be dropping at the usual time. I'm still worried about it, but I don't think I can do better without spending literally months on those few sentences. This may simply be one of those things language is unsuited to convey.

Interlude 6b: Amy
Many thanks to @Assembler, @fabledFreeboota, @Skyrunner, and ShadowStepper1300 for betareading.
Many thanks to @MugaSofer for fact checking.

-x-x-x-​

"Panacea, we need to talk."

Amy didn't bother turning to look. It wasn't that she knew who it was—she just didn't care.

She lay spread-eagled on the roof of the Medhall building. It had always been one of Vicky's favorite places to, as she would have put it, "swoop down from." Amy had been up here hundreds of times, but never before had she been here alone.

There was the tapping of metal boots on concrete as the person approached. They stopped just outside of her field of view. They said nothing, but Amy knew they were watching her.

She ignored them in favor of looking up into the blue sky. There were clouds dotting it—nothing like the overcast storm of a few hours ago, but not quite clear yet.

Amy felt irrationally angry at those few clouds. Vicky had always preferred clear skies, while Amy tended to prefer days when the marine layer flowed in and the daylight was filtered and gray. The melding of the two, in the early-afternoon sky, made Amy want to scream.

There was a clinking as the person sat down next to her, their armor impacting itself like chiming bells. They remained otherwise silent.

Vicky's heart had already stopped by the time Gallant had brought her in. Her lungs had been totally shredded, and she'd lost almost two liters of blood. Four of her thoracic and three of her lumbar vertebrae had been broken to varying degrees, from fractures to total pulverizations.

All of this, Amy could have healed, given time and equipment—of which she'd had neither. She'd been working against the clock. Vicky's brain had already passed the threshold for permanent brain damage, and was rapidly approaching functional brain death.

Amy had tried, of course. She'd tried everything from rerouting blood manually to repairing only the respiratory system, just to keep the brain oxygenated and alive. But without a heartbeat and with a shattered ribcage, there was simply no way to make it work. Too little of the structure remained to support the rest, even with her help.

By the time Amy had realized the impossibility of her usual approaches, Vicky's prefrontal cortex had gone out like a lightbulb burning through its filament, and it was over. All she could do then was to heal what she could of Vicky's surface injuries, and hold her as the rest of her brain suffocated.

It wasn't that the task had been impossible. It was that Amy had been too stupid to approach it in any way but the one she always used; and with injuries like that, the usual approach simply wasn't enough.

"At some point," said the person sitting next to her in a voice like a gentle breeze, "we have to accept that it's not our fault."

Amy twitched. "What the fuck do you know about it?" she asked, and was surprised to find that her voice was dry and hoarse. She hadn't used it in hours.

"Some," said the girl, "but not as much as you."

Amy swallowed. "Then shut up," she said, "and leave me alone."

"You've been alone for quite long enough, I think."

Amy's head turned, striking the concrete of the roof in her haste, and she glared at the armored girl. "I don't want you here," she bit out. "Go away."

Annatar shook her head. "You don't deserve to be alone."

"Too fucking late," Amy growled.

Annatar didn't reply for a moment. She just sat there, perfectly serene, watching Amy through those dark eyes.

Then the Ward reached up to her helmet. "I want you to imagine," she said, "that I'm a mirror."

She pulled off the silver helmet. A thin girl with sharp eyes and wavy, black hair looked back at Amy.

"Imagine that this is your face," she said. "What do you want to do?"

Amy stared. "You really want to know?"

"I already do," said Annatar with a faint smile. "Go ahead."

So Amy punched her. It felt good, so she did it again. And again, and again, and again.

She was on top of Annatar, and her fists were driving themselves, one after another, into the girl's eyes and cheeks. She was crying, now—she could barely see her target through the blur.

It went on, until Amy found that her strength had waned, and she was doing little more than weakly flailing at the girl beneath her. When she found she could barely hold herself up, Annatar caught her and helped her back up into a sitting position.

"I'd ask if you were feeling better," said the Ward, voice slightly tight with pain, and muffled by cut lips, "but I know better."

Amy didn't reply except by wiping away her tears with her sleeves. "You're fucking weird," she said. "You know that?"

"I've been told. Not in so many words, though." Annatar was seated next to her, her hands about her knees. Together, they looked up into the foothills to the west.

"I loved her," said Amy.

Annatar didn't reply, but Amy knew she had her attention.

"Not like—not like I should have, I mean. Not like a sister." Amy shuddered. "Do you know what that's like? To know you're fucked up, to know you want something that you shouldn't, to know there's something not right in your head, and not to be able to do a damn thing about it?"

"No," Annatar said. "Tell me, if you can."

Amy swallowed. "I don't know how."

Annatar nodded. For a moment, there was silence.

"Carol Dallon," the Ward finally said. "Who is she?"

"She took me in," Amy said hoarsely. "Took care of me, made sure I was fed and clothed and comfortable."

"I see."

And Amy knew she did.

"What about Mark?"

"Clinical depression," Amy said quietly. "Not a bad guy. Just…"

"Useless when you need him." Annatar's voice was low. "Not a great trait, in a father."

"No. Not at all."

Annatar sighed. "I'm beginning to understand."

"I'm alone," said Amy. "The only person to ever be there for me—the only person I've ever loved—is gone." Her voice broke and before she knew it, she was burying her head in her knees again. Her shoulders shook as she sobbed.

Annatar didn't touch her, didn't seem to move, although Amy was sure she was watching. After what felt like an hour, Amy finally got her tears under control. She sat there in silence save for her own heavy breathing.

Only then did Annatar speak again. "Did you ever tell Vicky how you felt?"

Amy snorted. "Of course not. How the fuck would I even go about it? 'Oh, hey, sis! By the way, I've had an incestuous crush on you for years!' No way that goes well."

"Maybe, maybe not," said Annatar. "It couldn't have made you more alone, though."

Amy glanced over at her blankly. "Uh—hello? It would've driven Vicky away. You know, the one person who was in my corner?"

"Was she?" Annatar shook her head. "She never got to see your corner, Amy. You didn't let her. Trust is intimacy; intimacy, trust. Without the one…"

She trailed off. Amy got the point. She looked away, back into the West.

"You've been alone a very long time, Amy," Annatar said.

"Yeah, rub it in, why don't you?"

"You misunderstand. People don't survive that. It's the kind of thing one person in a million can come out of alive."

Amy's lips twitched, looking over at the edge of the rooftop. "Haven't come out yet."

"No," agreed Annatar. "Not yet. But you don't understand—it took something absolutely overwhelming to break you. A lesser woman would have broken years ago."

"Yeah, sure."

Annatar shook her head. "I did."

Amy blinked at her. "What?"

"My mother died in a car crash. My dad fell into depression. My only real friend turned on me, and got the entire school against me." Annatar smiled slightly. "For eighteen months, I was as alone as you. Only eighteen months, and it ended with me breaking. For you, it's been how many years? Three, since you triggered—and how many more before that?"

Amy looked away. The answer, of course, was 'as long as I can remember.'

"You're a woman like few others, Amy," said Annatar quietly. "No man is an island entire of itself—except you."

"I don't feel entire." Amy shook her head. "I died with Vicky there, I think."

"So did I," said Annatar gently, "when my mother died. Life goes on, like a lizard without its tail."

"I don't want to go on," Amy protested. "I don't want to keep going without Vicky. Why should I? What's the fucking point?"

"I don't know," said Annatar simply. "You'll have to find one for yourself. But you will find one. I did. Shadow Stalker did—and then another, once I dismantled that one. I said life goes on—not just a beating heart and breathing lungs, but life. This isn't the end."

"It feels like a hell of an ending."

"Oh, it is," Annatar agreed. "An ending. Not the end. Not yet."

Amy chuckled. "you're going to a lot of effort to get me to go back to healing," she said dryly. "What, got something you can't fix?"

"If I had my way," said Annatar quietly, "I'd strip your powers from you and cast them into the night. They've done you no good, and a world of harm."

Amy stared at her.

"No, Amy," said Annatar. "I'm not here for your powers. I'm here for you."

"Why?" Amy's voice was faint.

Annatar sighed. "Because I care—and because you're special."

"Special? And you're sure this isn't about my powers?"

"Absolutely sure." Annatar held out a hand, and something glittered in it. Amy looked.

It was a ring, beautifully crafted of Annatar's silver-white mithril and inlaid with diamonds. It seemed to glow from within rather than reflecting the daylight, and the glimmer played on Annatar's armor and made her face look pale.

"This is Nenya," said Annatar, and her voice actually caught on the name, as if in grief. "The Ring of Adamant. It was one of my first works, and I've been its steward since then—but not its keeper. Never its keeper."

"This is one of your modules," murmured Amy.

"Yes. A Ring of Power." Annatar swallowed. "If you'll accept it… it's yours."

"…Why?"

"Nenya is the Ring of Adamant," said Annatar quietly. "The Ring of the Unbowed. It chose you."

"It… chose?"

"Rings of Power aren't mere trinkets or baubles." Annatar smiled sadly. "They aren't alive like you or I, but they do have minds of their own, to an extent. Nenya wants a bearer that will complement it—and that's you, Amy."

"But I—" Amy reached for words. "I didn't—"

"You broke," Annatar agreed. "If you were literally impossible to break, you would have no need for Nenya. It wants to be needed—but it also wants to be earned. You're right there, at that precipice."

"How can you know?"

Annatar shrugged. "I'm the Ring-Maker," she said, as if that explained everything. "I have an instinct for these things."

Amy shook head. "No. No, this is crazy." A darkly amused grin suddenly found itself on her features. "Carol always told me not to accept presents from strangers."

"And that's your right," Annatar said. "If you refuse this, I'll never bother you again. I still won't let you jump off the roof, though."

Amy twitched. "I wasn't going to—"

"Don't lie to me."

Their eyes met.

"Nenya will help you, Amy," said Annatar quietly. "To bear a Ring of Power is to be alone—and to be able to survive that."

"Is this the part where you tell me Vicky wouldn't want me to kill myself?" asked Amy dryly.

Annatar shook her head. "I didn't know Vicky," she said. "You did. I leave what she would have wanted to you. Because it's not in me that she lives on."

Amy shuddered. "You—" she took a deep, shaky breath. "You can't just say something like that."

Annatar didn't speak for a moment, just looked into her eyes. Finally, she said, "I remember meeting the Dallons and Pelhams, when I came to apologize for Shielder. When Vicky activated her aura, it affected the entire group—except you."

"I'm immune," Amy said weakly. "I've built up a tolerance."

"Then you see the implication. You're the only one who did."

And I'm the only one who saw Vicky without her aura messing with the image. I'm the only one who remembers her as she was.

"They say," said Annatar, "that a person, over the span of time, dies two deaths."

"I know." Amy's voice shook.

"So you have a choice," said Annatar quietly. "You can go, and be with your sister in the uncertain doom of our species, or you can remain here, and keep her alive without any of the comfort that comes with her presence. Neither is easy, I know. Neither is good."

"I thought you said you wouldn't let me jump?"

"I won't—but I'm certain that, if you're determined, you'll find another way." Annatar's face twisted. "Amy, please. Don't throw decades away in your lowest moment."

"Where the fuck do I go from here, then?" Amy asked, slumping. "Where can I go? What do I even do, anymore?"

"I don't know," said Annatar, "but I do know that the only way to go from your lowest point is up."

Amy shook her head. "The light's been taken out of the world," she said lowly. "I can't get it back, Annatar."

"No. The sun has set, and no amount of prayer or cursing will make it rise again until the world is renewed." Annatar's voice was low. "But why curse the darkness, when you can light a candle?"

Amy closed her eyes. "I don't know if I can do it," she whispered. "I don't know if I can go on without her."

"I know you can." Annatar's voice was firm. "Even without Nenya, you could. Otherwise, you wouldn't be worthy of it." She sighed. "Look—just try."

Amy blinked at her. "Try?"

Annatar nodded. "Like I said—if you're determined, you'll find a way. So why not give living a try? You always have the choice. It's the one choice no one can take away from you. So why make it now? Why not try, just a little longer? What could it hurt?"

"Me," said Amy dryly. "It could hurt me."

But she already knew what Annatar was going to say. "Can it really hurt you any worse than it already has?"

And the answer was easy. "No."

Without another word, Amy reached for the Ring. Annatar yielded it with a faint wince, as if it hurt to let it go. "Before you put it on," Annatar said, "you should know: from the moment you do, it will be bound to you. You will not be able to willingly give it up—not without expenditure of great effort. It will become as much a part of you as your power is."

Amy studied the silvery band. "And it'll make all this"—she gestured around herself—"more bearable?"

"No; but it'll make you more able to bear it."

"Good enough for me." Before she could have second thoughts, Amy slipped on the Ring of Power.

Something shifted.

Water was in her veins, running like blood—cool, pure, and unrelenting. A calm spread through her, and a tranquility. The world faded away, and she was deep, deep under the water, with light filtering down upon her in fractal patterns as the waves far above refracted and transmitted it down into the bottom of the world in thick, liquid beams. The rays of light seemed solid enough that she felt she could take hold of one and climb it, like a rope, straight to the sky.

A rushing, roaring sound, like a waterfall, burst upon her ears. Nenya curled about her finger in a gentle caress, cleansing, purifying, and fortifying.

Nenya, the Ring of Water.

Her vision cleared, and Amy found she was standing, looking around in wonder. The world looked so different through eyes that were enhanced by the Ring of Water. She could see, and hear, and feel so much more—the swaying of trees in the faintest breeze, the sound of cawing gulls on the coast, and the minute variations in the blanket of wind which encased her.

Vicky's death was still there, a throbbing ache in her chest, like a wound slowly scabbing over. Nenya had not touched it—and Amy knew that, if it had, she would have taken it and leapt off the roof at once with it in hand, hoping in some way to damage it with her death. But that wasn't what the Ring of Water did.

It had no power to make her forget. All it could do was support her as she endured.

Annatar stood up. "It's taken to you," she said. She was smiling—openly and honestly, with only a trace of grief. "You match it well."

Amy stared at her. Her face fell. "This isn't over," she said. "I'm still just trying."

Annatar's smile twisted into a wry grin. "What do you think the rest of us are doing?"

A gentle breeze came in from the West. It ruffled their hair affectionately as it passed on. Annatar looked into it, and something was in her eyes that Amy couldn't identify.

"I'd best be going," said the Ring-Maker.

"That's it?" Amy asked. "No contract, no terms? Nothing in exchange?"

Annatar shook her head. "The Three aren't under my dominion," she said. "Your loyalties and causes are your own. That being said…" she smiled slightly. "There is a place in the Wards for you, if you want to get away from Carol."

"Maybe I'll take you up on that." Amy shook her head. "I should wake her up first, though, shouldn't I?"

"Probably, yes," Annatar agreed. She stood aside and gestured to the fire escape.

Amy nodded, and tenuously took her first few steps into a world without Vicky.

-x-x-x-​

Please consider donating to my Patreon. Many thanks to those who have already donated.

Last edited:
The second part of From the Journal of Annatar will be released this Sunday, two days from now. Douse 6.7 will still be released on Monday.

Oooh That was Good. Also:
Annatar shook her head. "The Three aren't under my dominion," she said. "Your loyalties and causes are your own.
Interesting. Despite being the one to forge them this time they hold no attachment to her? She has no sway over them? At least no more than Sauron without the ring.... Interesting. *Thoughtful Kitsune*

Back